PDA

View Full Version : The Split

Spike Mandela
10-04-2022, 01:45 PM
I know Hibs haven't been great this season but we have been top six for most of it. It is ridiculous that now after playing each other 3 times we are 3 points off a Europran place and it's denied us in the run in. Same for other teams in our boat as well.

I have always hated the split but with so many teams so close 4th to 10th this year it really shows how much of a mockery the setup is.

hibee1875
10-04-2022, 01:48 PM
I like it. Adds extra drama to the end of the season when there’s 2/3 way fights for Europe/relegation and the teams have to play each other.

HUTCHYHIBBY
10-04-2022, 01:57 PM
I like it, it's always good to see Annabel Scholey on my tv screen.

Hibee Mac
10-04-2022, 02:03 PM
Come on mate, our manager and squad have no one else to blame other than themselves for where we've finished this season.

All we've needed for weeks on end now was 1 win and we'd have been safe in top 6. I enjoy it and hope it stays.

Steven79
10-04-2022, 02:14 PM
I know Hibs haven't been great this season but we have been top six for most of it. It is ridiculous that now after playing each other 3 times we are 3 points off a Europran place and it's denied us in the run in. Same for other teams in our boat as well.

I have always hated the split but with so many teams so close 4th to 10th this year it really shows how much of a mockery the setup is.

We put ourselves in the bottom six and that will cost the club hundreds of thousands in lost revenue (Rangers & Hearts at home)

The only way to salvage this season is to win the cup but that's not going to happen with this manager and these players.

OldEast
10-04-2022, 02:15 PM
Come on mate, our manager and squad have no one else to blame other than themselves for where we've finished this season.

All we've needed for weeks on end now was 1 win and we'd have been safe in top 6. I enjoy it and hope it stays.

You are right but so is the op. We could miraculously turn a corner and win the rest of our games and qualify for Europe if it wasn't for the split.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2022, 02:16 PM
Delighted. Prefer the league cup groups to europe anyway. Hopefully we don't do something ****ing daft like winning the cup.

Steven79
10-04-2022, 02:16 PM
You are right but so is the op. We could miraculously turn a corner and win the rest of our games and qualify for Europe if it wasn't for the split.

Not as if we didn't know what the fixtures were was it?

We couldn't beat St Johnstone or Dundee United at home recently so deserve to be where we are.

OldEast
10-04-2022, 02:17 PM
I like it, it's always good to see Annabel Scholey on my tv screen.

😀👍🏻

OldEast
10-04-2022, 02:24 PM
Not as if we didn't know what the fixtures were was it?

We couldn't beat St Johnstone or Dundee United at home recently so deserve to be where we are.

Yes I agree. Nobody can deny that. However the season isn't finished and no matter how unlikely, we or a team in a similar position could theoretically possibly finish higher and qualify for Europe. The split denies teams that opportunity. Often the team in seventh end up with more points than the team in sixth. Maybe they were toiling with injuries and now coming good. Is it right they are denied the chance to finish as high as they can and maybe, depending on fixtures make decent gate receipts.

hibbyfraelibby
10-04-2022, 02:26 PM
Calm down. We will still make the Europa League play off spot and be guaranteed European Footbal untul Christmas when we win the cup.

hibee1875
10-04-2022, 02:44 PM
Calm down. We will still make the Europa League play off spot and be guaranteed European Footbal untul Christmas when we win the cup.

Imagine this squad in Europe

Steven79
10-04-2022, 02:51 PM
Imagine this squad in Europe

A Faroes team would have their fingers crossed for us...

Onion
10-04-2022, 03:30 PM

Whichever team get 4th place is likely to be one of the worst Scottish teams to play in Europe. This Hibs team would an embarrassment.

Moulin Yarns
10-04-2022, 03:42 PM
Delighted. Prefer the league cup groups to europe anyway. Hopefully we don't do something ****ing daft like winning the cup.

Aye, Arbroath rather than Azerbaijan any day of the week 😁

Nicho87
10-04-2022, 03:45 PM
If Ben and Ron were worried before about the bond between club/players to fans they ain’t seen anything yet

Lose next week and the split figures will do well to reach 10k

Poorly run club from top to bottom

danhibees1875
10-04-2022, 04:45 PM
I like the split, I think it adds an extra something to the overall league with something to aim for and the final round-robin style to the remaining matches.

It hasn't taken us by surprise that the top 6 is closed off after 33 games and we haven't played a disproportionately harder number of teams/games to the others. We just simply didn't deserve to be in the top 6 this year.

Billy Whizz
10-04-2022, 04:56 PM
Hibs - 2 at home and 3 away
Livingston - 3 at home and 2 away
Aberdeen - 3 at home and 2 away
St Mirren - 3 at home and 2 away
St Johnstone - 2 at home and 3 away
Dundee - 2 at home and 3 away

Think someone said we’d be home to Aberdeen and Dundee and away to Livvi, and both Saints

We’ve played more home games than Dundee Utd and Ross County, and still finished behind them

Carheenlea
10-04-2022, 05:09 PM

The split is a bit Mickey Mouse but we’ve nobody but ourselves to blame for missing out. The quality of Scottish Football has taken a bit of a nosedive this term, Rangers and Celtic apart. Two decent sides and 10 a mixture of bang average and poor quality.

The Spaceman
10-04-2022, 05:12 PM
I like it. Pits teams against their nearest competitors at the business end of the season to settle it.

Sir David Gray
10-04-2022, 05:41 PM
Hibs - 2 at home and 3 away
Livingston - 3 at home and 2 away
Aberdeen - 3 at home and 2 away
St Mirren - 3 at home and 2 away
St Johnstone - 2 at home and 3 away
Dundee - 2 at home and 3 away

Think someone said we’d be home to Aberdeen and Dundee and away to Livvi, and both Saints

We’ve played more home games than Dundee Utd and Ross County, and still finished behind them

Based on the fixtures so far it should be;

Hibs

Aberdeen, Dundee (home)
Livingston, St Mirren and St Johnstone (away)

Livingston

Hibs, St Johnstone, Dundee (home)
St Mirren, Aberdeen (away)

Aberdeen

Dundee, Livingston, St Mirren (home)
Hibs, St Johnstone (away)

St Mirren

Hibs, Livingston, Dundee (home)
Aberdeen, St Johnstone (away)

St Johnstone

Hibs, Aberdeen, St Mirren (home)
Livingston, Dundee (away)

Dundee

St Johnstone (home)
Aberdeen, St Mirren, Hibs, Livingston (away)

However there's a clear imbalance there so I think some teams are going to have to play certain teams home/away three times because they obviously won't want teams playing 20 home or away games.

Billy Whizz
10-04-2022, 05:44 PM
Based on the fixtures so far it should be;

Hibs

Aberdeen, Dundee (home)
Livingston, St Mirren and St Johnstone (away)

Livingston

Hibs, St Johnstone, Dundee (home)
St Mirren, Aberdeen (away)

Aberdeen

Dundee, Livingston, St Mirren (home)
Hibs, St Johnstone (away)

St Mirren

Hibs, Livingston, Dundee (home)
Aberdeen, St Johnstone (away)

St Johnstone

Hibs, Aberdeen, St Mirren (home)
Livingston, Dundee (away)

Dundee

St Johnstone (home)
Aberdeen, St Mirren, Hibs, Livingston (away)

However there's a clear imbalance there so I think some teams are going to have to play certain teams home/away three times because they obviously won't want teams playing 20 home or away games.

Wouldn’t be surprised if our last game is home to Dons

TheGreenMan
10-04-2022, 05:48 PM
When are fixtures announced?

Steven79
10-04-2022, 05:49 PM
When are fixtures announced?Who cares.

5 end of season friendlies.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mokie
10-04-2022, 06:05 PM

i was wondering the same thing. It’ll probably be next week at some point.

Bristolhibby
10-04-2022, 06:08 PM
Who cares.

Erm, we still aren’t out of the relegation playoff spot.

All to play for.

J

LancsHibs
10-04-2022, 06:30 PM

Anyone know? :dunno:

gaz1875
10-04-2022, 06:35 PM
It's one of the best things that's happened to the league. Look how exciting (to an extent) the last games were regards who finishes in the top or bottom half. If it wasn't for the last few minutes dodgy penalty goal by Ross County, we would have scraped in, and the last kick of the ball for Motherwell to swap places with Livingston.

mcohibs
10-04-2022, 06:52 PM
Yes I agree. Nobody can deny that. However the season isn't finished and no matter how unlikely, we or a team in a similar position could theoretically possibly finish higher and qualify for Europe. The split denies teams that opportunity. Often the team in seventh end up with more points than the team in sixth. Maybe they were toiling with injuries and now coming good. Is it right they are denied the chance to finish as high as they can and maybe, depending on fixtures make decent gate receipts.

Aye cause they're playing weaker opposition for the last 5 games

danhibees1875
10-04-2022, 07:21 PM
Aye cause they're playing weaker opposition for the last 5 games

:agree:

It's a different competition at that point as far as the points are concerned.

Spike Mandela
10-04-2022, 08:15 PM
It's one of the best things that's happened to the league. Look how exciting (to an extent) the last games were regards who finishes in the top or bottom half. If it wasn't for the last few minutes dodgy penalty goal by Ross County, we would have scraped in, and the last kick of the ball for Motherwell to swap places with Livingston.

....but it's five games from the end of the season.There are seven teams who had a realistic chance of finishing 4th with 6 games to go but for half of them that is now cut off. I think it's ****.

whiskyhibby
10-04-2022, 09:04 PM
I like it. Adds extra drama to the end of the season when there’s 2/3 way fights for Europe/relegation and the teams have to play each other.

Your right, but to really spice it up the bottom 6 should play their counterparts in the Championship in a two legged play off to win a spot in the SPL , IE SPL 7th plays sixth in Championship, and all the way down to 2nd bottom playing second top in the Championship, now that would make it fun

JamesHFC
10-04-2022, 09:07 PM
Hopefully St Johnstone first game so we can get this relegation nonsense out the way.

Sioux
10-04-2022, 09:10 PM
If Ben and Ron were worried before about the bond between club/players to fans they ain’t seen anything yet

Lose next week and the split figures will do well to reach 10k

Poorly run club from top to bottom

We've hardly has 10,000 Hibs fans all season.

TheGreenMan
10-04-2022, 09:18 PM
Who cares.

I care, or I wouldn't have asked.

eastterrace
10-04-2022, 09:21 PM
We've hardly has 10,000 Hibs fans all season.now that is just BS . St.Johnstone £5 game was way more than 10,000.

Cod Boy
10-04-2022, 09:34 PM
Who cares.

Correct the manager takes the blame for me

Hibby70
10-04-2022, 09:44 PM
I'm only going to vent my displeasure. Unless we win on Saturday and hatrick hero James Scott becomes my new hero.

HibsIntl
10-04-2022, 09:49 PM
At this point I’d rather a few winnable games to end the season than more defeats to Hearts and the ugly sisters.

Musselbound
11-04-2022, 07:30 AM
Every club knows you have to get yourself into a certain position after 33 games, so not as if we've been taken by surprise or the goalposts moved. Hibs have had plenty chances to secure top 6 and failed time after time.

Form has been woeful for way too long so we've got what we deserve. Hopefully we can get a few points on the board quickly to ease any relegation nerves. Doubtful if we'd get any wins in top 6 so we might as well be playing other teams at our current level.

ronaldo7
11-04-2022, 03:33 PM
https://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/article/post-split-fixtures-confirmed

Here’s a full rundown of our final five fixtures:

Saturday 23 April, 2022 – St Mirren (A) – 3pm kick-off

Saturday 30 April, 2022 – Livingston (A) – 3pm kick-off

Saturday 7 May, 2022 – Aberdeen (H) – 3pm kick-off

Tuesday 10 May, 2022 – Dundee (A) – 7.45pm kick-off

Sunday 15 May, 2022 – St Johnstone (H) – 12 noon kick-off

gaz1875
11-04-2022, 09:12 PM
....but it's five games from the end of the season.There are seven teams who had a realistic chance of finishing 4th with 6 games to go but for half of them that is now cut off. I think it's ****.

That's irrelevant, the rules of the league are made in advance and it was a very exciting last few weeks before the split. How many pointless games have there been before the split was introduced. This season has been a one off with the closeness of how the league has turned out from 4th place to 12th.