PDA

View Full Version : The Ron and Ben show...

Scotty Leither
10-04-2022, 12:04 AM
From the absentee owner whose latest gem is about wanting Hibs to be the next Seville, through to our anonymous CEO, who ermm, "if we want someone who "shouts and bawls, it's not going to be him", sums up the current malaise at our club where our "business model" (corporate BS alert) doesn't seem to have shifted one iota from the previous regime's.

We simply do not or will not, recruit key players in key positions, because they cost £££.

Petrie's mindset writ large, carried over into Ron's brave new world and doubtless influenced by the remnants of the old Board who still hang about the club.

It was painful today in that second half to see Melkerson and Jasper basically bullied off the ball by Halkett and Sibbock (sp), but what we do as fans know about a potential remedy to this by not asking laddies to do mens' jobs and maybe signing some established players from other teams?

Nah, stuff that, that's too much of a risk, let's go for players that'll be long-term "projects" (corporate BS alert) instead.

We know what we're doing, the fans (or "customers") don't? That's the impression I get, and it'll be the same in the summer, supposing McGinn gets transferred from Aston Villa, i'll venture we don't spend a tenth of it on the team. There'll always be infrastructure or ground improvements to do - Maloney intimated as much when asked about the Boyle money at that lame ST event at Easter Road on Tuesday night.

What exactly is the recruitment model at Easter Road? Any chance of an update through our brilliant social medias, Ron/Ben?

.Sean.
10-04-2022, 02:01 AM
Hibs have lost their identity with these imposters. It’s corporate and business like as **** and all they seem interested in is announcing ***** sponsor after sponsor as if we should be grateful, getting you to spend money on nonsense and emptying the old regime who actually get Hibs unlike them. The majority of us don’t give a **** about big screens, vegan kiosks, pishy opera singers and trying to Americanise Easter Road. Kensell is never Hibs either and never will be.

Forza Fred
10-04-2022, 03:49 AM
yep, there seems to be people falling over themselves to invest in a football club.

Sure way to make money and no problem getting a new owner.

truehibernian
10-04-2022, 06:56 AM
Hope he was on the phone to players and that’s why he arrived late at Tynecastle !!! I know it’s micro pedantic but he arrived about 15 minutes before kick off which for me doesn’t set a good example. I just don’t think he cares enough about the club to be honest (Kensall)

Borderhibbie76
10-04-2022, 07:20 AM
I've never felt so distanced from Hibs as I do right now - they can ram their ST renewals thats for sure - they've got a big shock coming their way this summer as STs are gonna fall off a cliff

Bobo
10-04-2022, 08:00 AM

Maloney, Kensell and Gordon

This hopeless trio are stripping the Hibernian identity to the bone and have no affinity with the club, its history or the supporters.

I certainly don't feel like it's my club anymore, match days have little appeal, everything is centred around squeezing money out of the fans and football has clearly become secondary to everything else. The product on the pitch has been appalling for too long and the accident waiting to happen has just become a reality!

Those 3 clowns were the only ones who couldn't see it coming and are responsible for the mess that the club is now in :rolleyes:

Callum_62
10-04-2022, 08:01 AM
Hope he was on the phone to players and that’s why he arrived late at Tynecastle !!! I know it’s micro pedantic but he arrived about 15 minutes before kick off which for me doesn’t set a good example. I just don’t think he cares enough about the club to be honest (Kensall)

What's kensell job in the stadium away from home job on match days?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Rondon
10-04-2022, 08:08 AM
Yeah let’s just get rid of them now too……

Bostonhibby
10-04-2022, 08:22 AM
Hibs have lost their identity with these imposters. It’s corporate and business like as **** and all they seem interested in is announcing ***** sponsor after sponsor as if we should be grateful, getting you to spend money on nonsense and emptying the old regime who actually get Hibs unlike them. The majority of us don’t give a **** about big screens, vegan kiosks, pishy opera singers and trying to Americanise Easter Road. Kensell is never Hibs either and never will be.Been my thoughts for a while unfortunately, the first team seems down the list of projects/opportunities/soundbites.
Maybe the other avalanche of things we keep hearing about is more in their comfort zone and capabilities?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Nicho87
10-04-2022, 08:27 AM
Posted on another thread

All we are now is a sponsorship machine

Not a football club

Fancy screens and social media quirky videos won’t renew season tickets when the quality on the pitch is bottom 6 standard.

Rondon
10-04-2022, 08:28 AM
Posted on another thread

All we are now is a sponsorship machine

Not a football club

Fancy screens and social media quirky videos won’t renew season tickets when the quality on the pitch is bottom 6 standard.

I know imagine getting a record amount of sponsor money, terrible ownership……

AL-Qaholik
10-04-2022, 10:27 AM

Imagine finishing in the bottom six of a garbage league even with a record amount of sponsorship money. Terrible ownership.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2022, 10:36 AM

Yeah. Man United get **** tons of money from sponsors as well. Their fans literally broke into the ****ing stadium to protest to owners.

superfurryhibby
10-04-2022, 10:38 AM
Yeah let’s just get rid of them now too……

I’ d rather we got rid of you, thanks.

CL0762
10-04-2022, 11:19 AM
I’m just baffled at how someone who’s never run a football club before, appoints someone who has never run a football club before in their absence.

We seem like a vanity project for BK, a nice thing to look on the CV.

The club absolutely stinks right now, something isn’t right.

LewysGot2
10-04-2022, 11:30 AM
I’m just baffled at how someone who’s never run a football club before, appoints someone who has never run a football club before in their absence.

We seem like a vanity project for BK, a nice thing to look on the CV.

The club absolutely stinks right now, something isn’t right.

He was Chief Operating Officer at Norwich. What did that entail?

CL0762
10-04-2022, 11:32 AM
He was Chief Operating Officer at Norwich. What did that entail?

It entailed reporting into the CEO.

Brightside
10-04-2022, 11:41 AM
We have been told not to question Ben coming in (Leeann was the problem). We were told not to question his son being head of recruitment (it was all Mathies fault). We were told not to question Maloney coming in (Ben knows what the club needs). As others have said it feels like they are slowly removing the soul of the club. I’ll keep going no matter what but it’s going to be a very empty stadium soon.

LaMotta
10-04-2022, 11:57 AM
We have been told not to question Ben coming in (Leeann was the problem). We were told not to question his son being head of recruitment (it was all Mathies fault). We were told dsds not to question Maloney coming in (Ben knows what the club needs). As others have said it feels like they are slowly removing the soul of the club. I’ll keep going no matter what but it’s going to be a very empty stadium soon.

If we lose next week then can you actually imagine what the crowds will be like post split at ER? We will see some of the lowest attendances for decades.

chrisski33
10-04-2022, 12:04 PM
i appreciate that gordon has spent money on transfers but clearly on the wrong players so that could be down to the recruitment team. seems mad but Id rather have Petrie back at Hibs. Dont think Gordon really gets what is to be Hibernian Football club.

AgentDaleCooper
10-04-2022, 12:13 PM
IMO the main cardinal sin is the price grading of seats. It used to be that loyalty gave you the opportunity to get a better seat - now it's money. Says it all.

Steven79
10-04-2022, 02:08 PM
IMO the main cardinal sin is the price grading of seats. It used to be that loyalty gave you the opportunity to get a better seat - now it's money. Says it all.

That's how it fees to me also people that have been at the club for years all leaving (Sue) and the club just feels souless right now.

I expect to see disco lights and another sponser signing up before another decent player and I'm not buying into what's going on either mentally or when it comes to parting with my cash for a season ticket next year as I could be spending the money elsewhere and time doing far better things than just being another customer at this vanity project that is doomed to failure.

We are a Scottish version of Manchester United in how we are run and how little effort some players are putting in.

HendoDelivered
10-04-2022, 03:01 PM
Hibs have lost their identity with these imposters. It’s corporate and business like as **** and all they seem interested in is announcing ***** sponsor after sponsor as if we should be grateful, getting you to spend money on nonsense and emptying the old regime who actually get Hibs unlike them. The majority of us don’t give a **** about big screens, vegan kiosks, pishy opera singers and trying to Americanise Easter Road. Kensell is never Hibs either and never will be.

Nail. Hit. Head.

darwenhibby
10-04-2022, 03:05 PM
That's how it fees to me also people that have been at the club for years all leaving (Sue) and the club just feels souless right now.

I expect to see disco lights and another sponser signing up before another decent player and I'm not buying into what's going on either mentally or when it comes to parting with my cash for a season ticket next year as I could be spending the money elsewhere and time doing far better things than just being another customer at this vanity project that is doomed to failure.

We are a Scottish version of Manchester United in how we are run and how little effort some players are putting in.

Totally agree
I was going to post Ben Kensal is a poor man’s Ed Woodward
Manchester Utd have been a shambles for 10 years
Hibs had the opportunity to move on after 2016 and they have blown it

MKHIBEE
10-04-2022, 03:15 PM

The part about effort may be right but Hibs being run likeMan United.? Nonsense.

Bostonhibby
10-04-2022, 03:17 PM
He was Chief Operating Officer at Norwich. What did that entail?Operating chiefly would be my guess.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Steven79
10-04-2022, 03:20 PM
The part about effort may be right but Hibs being run likeMan United.? Nonsense.

United are all about increasing revenue and the product on the park has suffered since Fergie left as he was the only thing holding the club together after the American vultures arrived.

I get more and more emails from Hibs now about partnerships etc etc than ever.

Big screens or opera before games do not win you matches...

GreenCastle
10-04-2022, 03:40 PM
We have been told not to question Ben coming in (Leeann was the problem). We were told not to question his son being head of recruitment (it was all Mathies fault). We were told not to question Maloney coming in (Ben knows what the club needs). As others have said it feels like they are slowly removing the soul of the club. I’ll keep going no matter what but it’s going to be a very empty stadium soon.

Took us 8 months to find a Dempster replacement.

That’s when the warning signs started for me.

Nicho87
10-04-2022, 03:45 PM

Thanks for helping my point along further

Ronniekirk
10-04-2022, 03:50 PM
If we lose next week then can you actually imagine what the crowds will be like post split at ER? We will see some of the lowest attendances for decades.

For a variety of reasons I haven’t been to Easter road this season so I will go along to a couple of games
It’s been away games I have been to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
10-04-2022, 04:38 PM

I think the attendances at our last two home fixtures will be extremely low regardless of what happens next week.

Weirdly enough I think the only exception would be if we're at home on the last day and we needed something to avoid the play off spot - otherwise a lot of people just won't be interested in these last five fixtures.

I'll probably go to the two home games since I have a season ticket but will almost certainly not be at the three away games, again unless we need something to avoid the play offs.

jacomo
10-04-2022, 04:55 PM
It entailed reporting into the CEO.

…and running a football club.

I get that people are cross right now but this thread is ridiculous. People are talking as if Ben ran a gym of hair salon before pitching up at Hibs.

Callum_62
10-04-2022, 07:38 PM

Big screens or opera before games do not win you matches...

Do they stop you winning football matches?

Scotty Leither
10-04-2022, 07:47 PM

No of course they don't, as you're doubtless aware, but i think the posters point (and partly my own POV ) is that they're window dressing, when the main thing we're interested in, the team, is not up to the task in hand, and that should be the club's focus and not some pastiche of a day out at the soccer, in phoney Stateside style.

Anyhoo I'm over and oot - enough moaning for the weekend.

it's my birthday next Saturday and i really hope my team upset the odds and give us all a wee boost that i think we can all agree on is desperately needed.

Tambo
10-04-2022, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a title for a show on comedy central.

B.H.F.C
10-04-2022, 07:51 PM
I think the attendances at our last two home fixtures will be extremely low regardless of what happens next week.

Weirdly enough I think the only exception would be if we're at home on the last day and we needed something to avoid the play off spot - otherwise a lot of people just won't be interested in these last five fixtures.

I'll probably go to the two home games since I have a season ticket but will almost certainly not be at the three away games, again unless we need something to avoid the play offs.

A win next week would keep a few folk interested. A defeat will se ER absolutely deserted after the split.

Brightside
10-04-2022, 07:52 PM
…and running a football club.

I get that people are cross right now but this thread is ridiculous. People are talking as if Ben ran a gym of hair salon before pitching up at Hibs.

He wasn’t a sporting director though. It’s him then Shaun. Neither have experience of running a football team. We are lacking experience now and nobody to question the decision making in the football dept.

Ronniekirk
10-04-2022, 07:56 PM
No of course they don't, as you're doubtless aware, but i think the posters point (and partly my own POV ) is that they're window dressing, when the main thing we're interested in, the team, is not up to the task in hand, and that should be the club's focus and not some pastiche of a day out at the soccer, in phoney Stateside style.

it's my birthday next Saturday and i really hope my team upset the odds and give us all a wee boost that i think we can all agree on is desperately needed.

But have you tried any of the Delicious Vegan food yet

Scotty Leither
10-04-2022, 08:01 PM
But have you tried any of the Delicious Vegan food yet

Nah I haven't, but then I'm a wheat-intolerant coeliac as it stands.

I'm just biding my time waiting for a decent team to be built before I start screaming at the club for not serving gluten-free brownies. :wink:

Centre Hawf
10-04-2022, 08:24 PM

The sponsorships provide revenue to make the team better. I get people are upset and angry at the poor season but I think some perspective is required on some of the gripes people are having.

Alfred E Newman
10-04-2022, 09:01 PM

Maybe.
If it means you’ve blown most of your budget on them and you can’t afford to strengthen the playing side it could.

Lancs Harp
10-04-2022, 10:07 PM
i appreciate that gordon has spent money on transfers but clearly on the wrong players so that could be down to the recruitment team. seems mad but Id rather have Petrie back at Hibs. Dont think Gordon really gets what is to be Hibernian Football club.

Any club for that matter he just doesnt understand or get football. Sorry I mean soccer.

Callum_62
10-04-2022, 10:11 PM
Maybe.
If it means you’ve blown most of your budget on them and you can’t afford to strengthen the playing side it could.How much is the opera singer charging?

There's stuff to complain about but a lassie singing before the game seems petty in the extreme

Iain G
10-04-2022, 10:30 PM

Who told you not to question things? 🤷🏻*♂️

matty_f
12-04-2022, 10:59 AM
We did a special episode on this subject on Longbangers last night, covering much of what the OP has called out.

For me, the recruitment strategy is flawed in that it is overly focused on youth and potential. These things are great and will ultimately (if done well) provide the funding to be successful.

However, you can’t *only* bring in youth and potential. You need experience and quality with that as well, you need players like Gray (when he joined), Holt, Bartley, Stokes etc who bring physicality, know-how, experience and leadership to the team.

I have no problem with the commercial side doing well, we’d be stupid to want that to fail and having a successful marketing team doesn’t correlate to a lack of focus on the pitch, that’s a deeply flawed argument.

We need that commercial growth again to support the funding for on field success.

Hibs have made several poor choices over the last couple of years with how they’ve handled the fan base - interest on the payment plan being added but the marketing saying the price was frozen, charging for different levels of seats when none of us got into the stadium, not delivering on promises, ditching programs etc etc etc

You can get away with all that stuff if the team wins, but when we’re awful, as we are now, then they become really significant.

The board have a serious problem on their hands, the club feels like it’s in huge decline.