PDA

View Full Version : It isn't the defeats I fear, it's the drifting, drifting, drifting without purpose

One Day Soon
09-04-2022, 07:14 PM
I expected us to lose to Hearts today. I expect us to lose the semi-final to them too. Why?

Our form is bad of course and that conditions expectations.

Our style of play is a mess too - the squad we have doesn't allow what the manager wants to do. And the manager, who is extremely early in his managerial career, looks at the moment to be the opposite of sure footed. He may turn out to be a good manager, he may turn out to be useless.

We have a massive injury list.

The ground is like a morgue for much of our home games.

Leadership from the club is absent, no-one is a figurehead and no-one embodies a Hibs ethos, what ever that is these days. Not the owner, not the manager, not the captain.

As players, other staff and as fans we seem to have the opposite of resilience, the opposite of fortress mentality and the opposite of a ruthless will to win.

It all feels very Matt Doherty laughing after a 5-1 cup final skelping, too many people not invested in the club, just passing through on the way to another pay check, no sense of the club's history and standing in the community or what it means to the support.

My big fear in all this isn't losing to Hearts today or even next week. It's the malaise that seems to have settled all over the team and the club like a mindset that cannot be eradicated. If that continues - and I'm struggling to see how or why it won't - our season ticket sales will drop like a stone, our summer budget will be cut back and yet again we will sign cheaply and badly, not give this manager or his replacement the resources they need to implement their plan and worst of all fail to put down solid foundations on which to build strength.

There are really tough times ahead and everyone is going to be feeling the economic pain. Justifying buying season tickets in that context for a club where it feels like there is no sense of purpose, direction or prospect of improvement is going to be difficult.

I'm just not sure anyone currently in a position of importance in the club really gets Hibs, knows how to lead and knows how to carry all of us forward together.

It isn't the defeats I fear could do us brutal damage, it's the drifting, drifting, drifting without purpose.

Jones28
09-04-2022, 07:15 PM
Apathy is the killer. I was sad to lose today but really I couldn’t give a ****. I’ll get five minutes of ribbing on Monday, then pop in to my office and forget about it.

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 07:20 PM
We have too many people in position at the club who see Hibs as a vanity project to add to the CV.

We don’t need to be the new Belgium. We don’t need a B team so badly that we can split attention between it and the first team at a vital transfer window. We don’t need an official VPN and ball shaving sponsor over looking after fans.

WillowbraeHibby
09-04-2022, 07:21 PM
I expected us to lose to Hearts today. I expect us to lose the semi-final to them too. Why?

Our style of play is a mess too - the squad we have doesn't allow what the manager wants to do. And the manager, who is extremely early in his managerial career, looks at the moment to be the opposite of sure footed. He may turn out to be a good manager, he may turn out to be useless.

Leadership from the club is absent, no-one is a figurehead and no-one embodies a Hibs ethos, what ever that is these days. Not the owner, not the manager, not the captain.

As players, other staff and as fans we seem to have the opposite of resilience, the opposite of fortress mentality and the opposite of a ruthless will to win.

It all feels very Matt Doherty laughing after a 5-1 cup final skelping, too many people not invested in the club, just passing through on the way to another pay check, no sense of the club's history and standing in the community or what it means to the support.

My big fear in all this isn't losing to Hearts today or even next week. It's the malaise that seems to have settled all over the team and the club like a mindset that cannot be eradicated. If that continues - and I'm struggling to see how or why it won't - our season ticket sales will drop like a stone, our summer budget will be cut back and yet again we will sign cheaply and badly, not give this manager or his replacement the resources they need to implement their plan and worst of all fail to put down solid foundations on which to build strength.

There are really tough times ahead and everyone is going to be feeling the economic pain. Justifying buying season tickets in that context for a club where it feels like there is no sense of purpose, direction or prospect of improvement is going to be difficult.

I'm just not sure anyone currently in a position of importance in the club really gets Hibs, knows how to lead and knows how to carry all of us forward together.

It isn't the defeats I fear could do us brutal damage, it's the drifting, drifting, drifting without purpose.

A very good posting...

madhatter
09-04-2022, 07:43 PM
Fans turning up to support the team is a regular debate on here. Without a purpose, a drive, an aim, why would people turn up to watch Hibs?

Our season ticket numbers went up after cup win, then when Lennon was here. Why? Achievement and a couple of cult heroes (McGinn and Gray). Why did these players become cult heroes? What they did for the club, yes but almost more importantly, fight!

Our recruitment has been poor for a few years. Lose McGinn and don't replace. It could be argued that Magennis was the replacement but hardly a good one given his injury issues (signed while injured as well...). Losing Boyle and replacing with Jasper, enough said.

Jack Ross' good season has hidden the issues. ER is lifeless as there is no action to get people encouraged. People used to stand up to block my view when we attacked, especially in a derby. Last one I had a perfect view, seated throughout. You almost look silly supporting this team, if that makes any sense. You look like you've lost the plot/watching a different game. In a similar vein, most people aren't leaving the ground furious, just collective apathy.

One of the perks of renewing is to gain access to a free friendly? Surely that's a punishment?

snedzuk
09-04-2022, 08:02 PM
Fans turning up to support the team is a regular debate on here. Without a purpose, a drive, an aim, why would people turn up to watch Hibs?

Our season ticket numbers went up after cup win, then when Lennon was here. Why? Achievement and a couple of cult heroes (McGinn and Gray). Why did these players become cult heroes? What they did for the club, yes but almost more importantly, fight!

Our recruitment has been poor for a few years. Lose McGinn and don't replace. It could be argued that Magennis was the replacement but hardly a good one given his injury issues (signed while injured as well...). Losing Boyle and replacing with Jasper, enough said.

Jack Ross' good season has hidden the issues. ER is lifeless as there is no action to get people encouraged. People used to stand up to block my view when we attacked, especially in a derby. Last one I had a perfect view, seated throughout. You almost look silly supporting this team, if that makes any sense. You look like you've lost the plot/watching a different game. In a similar vein, most people aren't leaving the ground furious, just collective apathy.

One of the perks of renewing is to gain access to a free friendly? Surely that's a punishment?

Just watched SMs interview on Hibs TV and in it he says that we are young and Hearts are men. Kinda difficult to see that changing in a week...

StirlingHibee
09-04-2022, 08:19 PM
Do think we are at a pivotal moment. Every club goes through peaks and troughs but for me it feels different this time. Is it because there are so many other variables at play this time round (an economic downturn and some supporters simply not returning post Covid). Add to the mix a poor team (and manager) then we are going to see a decrease in numbers attending matches for sure. I will continue to go, however, feel like it's more out of obligation to my club other than being enthused by the football on offer.

IberianHibernian
09-04-2022, 08:19 PM

It isn't the defeats I fear could do us brutal damage, it's the drifting, drifting, drifting without purpose.Some very good points . But most of the points ( lack of atmosphere in grounds , lack of people who seem to care about club for example ) are true for all clubs in present commercial age . As for season ticket sales , there are numerous reasons why supporters buy or don`t buy but even if numbers are well down on this season`s , fans will return as walk ups in good numbers if results and performances are good . Signings this summer will also be a factor .

GreenCastle
09-04-2022, 08:28 PM

Good post and a few good posts on this thread.

Reading the room even from the small issues like social media and improving the FF - they just don’t get it.

The club is a joke right now and have no faith in the team or management next week or till the end of the season.

Double whammy as our city rivals are on a high and we seem to be content just drifting along to failure.

Booked4Being-Ugly
09-04-2022, 08:46 PM
Just watched SMs interview on Hibs TV and in it he says that we are young and Hearts are men. Kinda difficult to see that changing in a week...

Why does it take a derby defeat to tell him that though? It was obvious months ago we had a young, inexperienced side.

Callum_62
09-04-2022, 09:12 PM
Why does it take a derby defeat to tell him that though? It was obvious months ago we had a young, inexperienced side.To be fair he's said it a few times about us being a young team

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

IberianHibernian
09-04-2022, 09:26 PM
Why does it take a derby defeat to tell him that though? It was obvious months ago we had a young, inexperienced side.Nothing to do with a Derby defeat . It`s reality . SM is being forced to pick from very limited squad with lots of young players , some of them similar types of player . What was solution ? What players wre available in January ? Easy to look for negatives , positives are that these young players are getting first team experience and some of these players are going to do well in the next few years hopefully with us .

Hibernian Verse
09-04-2022, 09:31 PM
A bit off topic but tying in the thread title with the final summary of the post was superb from the OP. Usually we just get rants on here but a very reasoned piece and one I completely agree with.

IberianHibernian
09-04-2022, 09:38 PM
A bit off topic but tying in the thread title with the final summary of the post was superb from the OP. Usually we just get rants on here but a very reasoned piece and one I completely agree with.Agree entirely .

GreenCastle
10-04-2022, 10:38 AM
To be fair he's said it a few times about us being a young team

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Surely he would know as a player himself you need youth and experience.

LewysGot2
10-04-2022, 10:58 AM
Surely he would know as a player himself you need youth and experience.
Balance, definitely.

Injuries, Boyle leaving, poor recruitment prior to his arrival and recruitment of only young players since has left us where we are. Sure we’ve had the youngest squad in the league this past month. The squad is very imbalanced

Col L
10-04-2022, 11:15 AM

Firstly good original post. Well said.

Secondly, Maloney is right to say we have a relatively young team but he chose to leave Lewis Stevenson out of a game where his experience would have been a huge plus. Scott Allan too - a guy who knows how to influence a derby. It’s bizarre that Campbell and Scott went on before those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sean1875
10-04-2022, 11:17 AM
Apathy is the killer. I was sad to lose today but really I couldn’t give a ****. I’ll get five minutes of ribbing on Monday, then pop in to my office and forget about it.

That’s what, ironically, is worrying me the most. Normally after a derby defeat I’d be utterly furious and miserable. Yesterday I just felt like I didn’t care after it. Went and had a good night out with my mates. After the football we’ve had to endure watching this season, I’m just not spending any more energy worrying or getting upset about it than i have to

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2022, 11:23 AM
We do have a young team, but surely Maloney could have changed that last January? He brought in Clarke 21, Rocky 22, Henderson 22, Jasper 20, Melkerson 19, Mitchell 24 woohoo, and Hague i cant find his age, but another child.

If thats not adding to us being boys not men, i dont know what is?

One Day Soon
11-04-2022, 01:19 PM
A bit off topic but tying in the thread title with the final summary of the post was superb from the OP. Usually we just get rants on here but a very reasoned piece and one I completely agree with.

Thanks HV. I started with that sentence in mind because it is the anxious feeling I have been having about the club for quite some time. What's that phrase, 'this is how the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper'?

LaMotta
11-04-2022, 01:46 PM
Firstly good original post. Well said.

Secondly, Maloney is right to say we have a relatively young team but he chose to leave Lewis Stevenson out of a game where his experience would have been a huge plus. Scott Allan too - a guy who knows how to influence a derby. It’s bizarre that Campbell and Scott went on before those two.

:agree::agree::agree:

Bobby's Cinema
11-04-2022, 01:57 PM
How did we get back here so quickly - this is brutal. For a while our approach with JR, signing up best players for clubs below us, generally young/scottish/with sell on potential OR experience with years in the league under there belt worked well. Everything was in place to stay up there consistently thought we were finally looking longer term.

A few awful windows later not addressing problems and purchasing lightweight players of a different make-up who don't know the league, appointing a rookie manager with no experience and here we are.

Time to get back to the previous approach. Said it a million times - the team that finishes third 99% of the time keeps a consistent squad together season to season and has experience of the league.