PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a new experienced football manager?

A Hi-Bee
09-04-2022, 06:43 PM
With all the hysterics around Hibs going on right now, is it time for a) A Hibs net poll, or b) A new experienced football manager or both, should we give him more time or should he go the same way as his predecessor.
I am not sure, but lets to the democratic thing and have a vote on it. I have voted for option B, just because I do think he will eventually get it right.
GGTTH

Smartie
09-04-2022, 06:59 PM
No.

We need a good one.

Mowbray wasn’t experienced, neither was Stubbs.

Butcher was experienced.

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 06:59 PM
Experience doesn’t always bring results.

Maloney is however one of the worst managers in our history and I can’t wait to see him leave.

We need to find someone with an actual vision for the club, has some personality, has some tactical nous and ability to motivate.

It doesn’t matter if this person is thirty or ninety, we just need the right person.

Pretty Boy
09-04-2022, 07:17 PM
We need a good manager.

For all the risks it carried I argued for appointing McIness when we sacked Ross. He has his critics but also boasts a proven track record and is on course to add another success at Killie. We gambled and it has backfired.

Unseen work
09-04-2022, 07:20 PM
One thing about sacking him is it world just look ridiculous as we sold it as a long term plan, but like I said previously to get time to implement your plan you need results and one win in 13 league games isn’t good enough.

One manager who I think would suit us perfectly is Kevin Thomson. Not convinced some fans would accept that though due to the rangers connection

JamesHFC
09-04-2022, 07:22 PM
We need a good manager.

For all the risks it carried I argued for appointing McIness when we sacked Ross. He has his critics but also boasts a proven track record and is on course to add another success at Killie. We gambled and it has backfired.

I would have took McInnes 100%, confident we would be in the top six with him.

Diclonius
09-04-2022, 07:22 PM
One thing about sacking him is it world just look ridiculous as we sold it as a long term plan, but like I said previously to get time to implement your plan you need results and one win in 13 league games isn’t good enough.

One manager who I think would suit us perfectly is Kevin Thomson. Not convinced some fans would accept that though due to the rangers connection

Kevin Thomson would be great if you want us to sell even less STs.

Hibee Mac
09-04-2022, 07:24 PM
Sadly, I also agree we need to cut our losses. I've been in denial about that decision for a while now but sometimes you just need to cut ties before it gets worse. Maloney has severely underperformed and has shown no sign of improving the situation.

That being said, it would look ridiculous given we just sacked Ross. But that doesn't change what has to be done sadly...

Unseen work
09-04-2022, 07:27 PM
Kevin Thomson would be great if you want us to sell even less STs.

I agree alot wouldn’t take to him or back him initially.

I just think the way he plays, job he has done at Kelly & how he’s got them playing and how he speaks would really suit us

Moody Blues
09-04-2022, 07:32 PM
Ross County have done well under Malky Mckay

Jim44
09-04-2022, 07:32 PM

KT’s ambition is to manage Rangers. I wouldn’t want him to use us as a stepping stone and, in any case, the gamble of managing Hibs might be seen as a possible blight on his CV. I think his move away from Kelty will be to a team with the real potential for success.

Skol
09-04-2022, 07:34 PM
We need a manager. A leader of men.

Some experienced managers have that but not all. Mowbray had no experience but from the minute he walked through the door you sensed he had something about him. Stubbs was similar. Lennon had experience and also was a leader, albeit he self combusted in the end. Miller had no experience and we stuck with him for years. In amongst the dross he did develop a couple of useful teams.

Butcher and Williamson had experience but ultimately turned out to be horror shows.

Maloney for me is not a leader. The players would not run through a brick wall for him.

BT58
09-04-2022, 07:38 PM
We need a good manager.

He was the best choice at the time imho. But that ship
has sailed. He knew the league, knew the limitations
We took a gamble, its backfired totally. Be interesting
to see tge seasin ticket sales after this debacle.
B

IberianHibernian
09-04-2022, 07:57 PM

Some experienced managers have that but not all. Mowbray had no experience but from the minute he walked through the door you sensed he had something about him. Stubbs was similar. Lennon had experience and also was a leader, albeit he self combusted in the end. Miller had no experience and we stuck with him for years. In amongst the dross he did develop a couple of useful teams.

Butcher and Williamson had experience but ultimately turned out to be horror shows.

Maloney for me is not a leader. The players would not run through a brick wall for him.Was Alex Miller not St Mirren manager before he joined us . Took them to 5th in SPL . He stayed so long with us because we couldn`t afford to sack him . As for Maloney , I think he`s got the players motivated but is being forced to play too many young players who are talented but not experienced or physically strong enough yet .

Callum_62
09-04-2022, 08:20 PM
He was the best choice at the time imho. But that ship
has sailed. He knew the league, knew the limitations
We took a gamble, its backfired totally. Be interesting
to see tge seasin ticket sales after this debacle.
BYep, couldnt believe we didn't go get him to be honest

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Smartie
09-04-2022, 08:39 PM

Maloney for me is not a leader. The players would not run through a brick wall for him.

I don't really buy this, and there are many different ways to lead.

Maloney's problem is that he's not wining games. In my opinion he's hopeless tactically, picks weird teams, plays weird tactics and formations and makes weird subs.

Ultimately players want to win games, they want win bonuses and will buy into managers who deliver that.

Personally I think the motivational stuff is largely overrated. Any way of competently going about your business gets players running through brick walls - it can be quiet, it can be noisy, it can be through terror, it can be by being everybody's best pal. There's nothing about Maloney's manner that suggests to me players wouldn't buy into him.

For me, his problem with the players is that they'll be doubting whether or not he knows what he's doing. We were on a bad run under Ross but I don't think he'd lost the players, who had enjoyed reasonable success under him. To change that for Maloney was a bold move, but results have been so poor the players must be questioning him.

Fuzzywuzzy
09-04-2022, 08:41 PM
**** me!!

I want, I want, I want, I need, I need, I need

Skol
09-04-2022, 08:46 PM
I don't really buy this, and there are many different ways to lead.

Maloney's problem is that he's not wining games. In my opinion he's hopeless tactically, picks weird teams, plays weird tactics and formations and makes weird subs.

Ultimately players want to win games, they want win bonuses and will buy into managers who deliver that.

Personally I think the motivational stuff is largely overrated. Any way of competently going about your business gets players running through brick walls - it can be quiet, it can be noisy, it can be through terror, it can be by being everybody's best pal. There's nothing about Maloney's manner that suggests to me players wouldn't buy into him.

For me, his problem with the players is that they'll be doubting whether or not he knows what he's doing. We were on a bad run under Ross but I don't think he'd lost the players, who had enjoyed reasonable success under him. To change that for Maloney was a bold move, but results have been so poor the players must be questioning him.

Your last paragraph basically confirms he is not a leader and the players will not run through a brick wall for him

offshorehibby
09-04-2022, 08:47 PM
KT’s ambition is to manage Rangers. I wouldn’t want him to use us as a stepping stone and, in any case, the gamble of managing Hibs might be seen as a possible blight on his CV. I think his move away from Kelty will be to a team with the real potential for success.

I've always liked KT apart from some of his recent commentaries v us. Yes his ambition is to manage the huns but to do that he needs to be a success somewhere else

Since452
09-04-2022, 08:50 PM
No.

We need a good one.

Butcher was experienced.

Loved Mowbray but he wasn't perfect. Inherited a once in a generation group of young players. Not sure if he'd have done as well without them. Stubbs got a completely blank canvas in the Championship. Both situations are completely different to where we are now.

500miles
09-04-2022, 08:51 PM
I can't believe people are calling for McInnes when they thought Jack Ross was boring and bottled big games.

He was a well funded aberdeen manager who won 1 trophy with Hibs, Hearts and Rangers not in the league. An absolute snore-fest into the bargain. He'd be run out of Easter Road.

Since452
09-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Ross County have done well under Malky Mckay

He's a very good manager but he'd be highly controversial.

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Loved Mowbray but he wasn't perfect. Inherited a once in a generation group of young players. Not sure if he'd have done as well without them. Stubbs got a completely blank canvas in the Championship. Both situations are completely different to where we are now.

Tony Mowbray has carved out a great career for himself at a level much higher than us for the last 15 years.

He was a great manager and far from someone who just got lucky with some good players.

LunasBoots
09-04-2022, 08:55 PM
Yes.

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 08:55 PM
I can't believe people are calling for McInnes when they thought Jack Ross was boring and bottled big games.

He was a well funded aberdeen manager who won 1 trophy with Hibs, Hearts and Rangers not in the league. An absolute snore-fest into the bargain. He'd be run out of Easter Road.

He also consistently finished top 3.

Something Ross done 33% of the time whilst finishing 7th 66% of the time.

McInnes wouldn’t be my choice but he’s a better manager than anyone we’ve had lately.

Since452
09-04-2022, 08:56 PM
Tony Mowbray has carved out a great career for himself at a level much higher than us for the last 15 years.

He was a great manager and far from someone who just got lucky with some good players.

I'm not saying he isn't a good manager but he made plenty of mistakes at both us and Celtic.

Ellahappyhibee
09-04-2022, 09:35 PM
We are awful to watch. Get rid of Maloney now or very few will turn up to watch us in remainder of league this season. Need someone who can get a winning mentality from this squad and make them fight for results

H18 SFR
09-04-2022, 09:50 PM
He also consistently finished top 3.

Something Ross done 33% of the time whilst finishing 7th 66% of the time.

McInnes wouldn’t be my choice but he’s a better manager than anyone we’ve had lately.

THe McInnes top three thing is often overstated, Motherwell finished third one year as did hearts and Kilmarnock. If you want to be pedantic we were ahead of them last year as well.

McInnes has a solid record from his time at Aberdeen but he also had issues securing third.

NAE NOOKIE
09-04-2022, 10:03 PM
I'm not a sack the manager guy usually. But what bugs me about Maloney is that he has absolutely no pragmatism, he continues with the same style of football that has seen us win one on 13 and is not even prepared to see that he needs to adapt this approach, even for the short term until he can get into the summer.

The time is fast approaching where that intransigence has to be seen as a major flaw in his character and if we lose next Saturday as far as I'm concerned the only thing that will save him is a board too embarrassed or too stubborn to admit they have made a mistake in appointing him .... if it does come to that they had better learn to sing, because they will have to provide the atmosphere at Easter Road next season from the directors box.

superfurryhibby
09-04-2022, 10:22 PM
THe McInnes top three thing is often overstated, Motherwell finished third one year as did hearts and Kilmarnock. If you want to be pedantic we were ahead of them last year as well.

McInnes has a solid record from his time at Aberdeen but he also had issues securing third.

Yes, usually when not securing third, he managed second.

H18 SFR
09-04-2022, 10:24 PM
Yes, usually when not securing third, he managed second.

Again, that’s misleading.

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2022, 10:24 PM

Yep, Shaun got a side who had just finished 3rd, and had been in the previous 2 Cup finals. Hardly a disaster.

Tbh, I was worried about him when he didn't have the bottle to take over for the league Cup final.

superfurryhibby
09-04-2022, 10:28 PM
Again, that’s misleading.

What’s misleading about facts. They finished 2nd 4 years in a row and Hearts and Rangers were all in those leagues at some point.

Let’s not pretend he didn’t do a decent job at Aberdeen.

H18 SFR
09-04-2022, 10:40 PM
What’s misleading about facts. They finished 2nd 4 years in a row and Hearts and Rangers were all in those leagues at some point.

Let’s not pretend he didn’t do a decent job at Aberdeen.

The first year rangers were out the league Aberdeen finished 8th. The second year Motherwell finished 2nd.

They finished 2nd 2/4 years. I believe that my point it was misleading is correct.

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 10:45 PM
Yep, Shaun got a side who had just finished 3rd, and had been in the previous 2 Cup finals. Hardly a disaster.

Tbh, I was worried about him when he didn't have the bottle to take over for the league Cup final.

Just finished 3rd? That was 6 months and about 20 odd fixtures previously. It’s hardly ‘just finished’ 3rd.

He also lost the main man in that 3rd place finish.

superfurryhibby
09-04-2022, 10:51 PM
The first year rangers were out the league Aberdeen finished 8th. The second year Motherwell finished 2nd.

From 2014-2018, Aberdeen finished second four times in a row, Hearts and Rangers were in those leagues, at different times during that run.

Aberdeen finished 8th in 2012-13. McInnes came in as manager in march that season and took them to third the following season. I think he can be excused that 8th place finish, as he only managed a handful of games.

He took the sheep to 2nd in Leagues with Hearts and Rangers present, something no Hibs manager has managed since Eddie Turnbull. He made three cup finals, winning one. He also got Aberdeen into the Europa League group stage.

As I said, let’s not pretend he can’t manage.

H18 SFR
09-04-2022, 10:52 PM
From 2014-2018, Aberdeen finished second four times in a row, Hearts and Rangers were in those leagues, at different times during that run.

Aberdeen finished 8th in 2012-13. McInnes came in as manager in march that season and took them to third the following season. I think he can be excused that 8th place finish, as he only managed a handful of games.

He took the sheep to 2nd in Leagues with Hearts and Rangers present, something no Hibs manager has managed since Eddie Turnbull. He made three cup finals, winning one. He also got Aberdeen into the Europa League group stage.

As I said, let’s not pretend he can’t manage.

At no point have I said he can’t manage. I’m not pretending he can’t manage.

He never took them to the group stage either.

superfurryhibby
09-04-2022, 11:13 PM
At no point have I said he can’t manage. I’m not pretending he can’t manage.

He never took them to the group stage either.

Just testing, I thought they had made the group stage.

Mc Innes would not have signed up for the Hibs job, knowing Boyle was going and that the transfer strategy was so weak. Deep down, that was why they punted Ross before the final. Gordon wanted Ross out, didn’t expect Hibs to win the semi. I think Ross was unhappy with the backing he got, No way would he have been endorsing the window we got in January.

H18 SFR
09-04-2022, 11:16 PM
Just testing, I thought they had made the group stage.

If you don’t mind me saying, this essentially quantifies my original point that his achievements are overstated.

Second four years in a row - not the case. Always finished third - not the case at all. Europa league group stages - not true.

See what I mean?

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2022, 12:30 AM
Just finished 3rd? That was 6 months and about 20 odd fixtures previously. It’s hardly ‘just finished’ 3rd.

He also lost the main man in that 3rd place finish.

Yes, just finished 3rd. We lost zero players from that side.

Boyle was part of a team. He wasn't the only player we had.

stoneyburn hibs
10-04-2022, 12:33 AM
Jack Ross, get him back.

superfurryhibby
10-04-2022, 07:44 AM
If you don’t mind me saying, this essentially quantifies my original point that his achievements are overstated.

Second four years in a row - not the case. Always finished third - not the case at all. Europa league group stages - not true.

See what I mean?

No, sorry, I don’t see what you mean. However, Aberdeen finished 2nd for four consecutive seasons under McInnes and Hearts and Rangers were in the league for several of those campaigns

Their league finishes were 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2 nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th. He took them to 4 finals and won a League Cup.

You prefer Malky MacKay though.

H18 SFR
10-04-2022, 07:53 AM
No, sorry, I don’t see what you mean. However, Aberdeen finished 2nd for four consecutive seasons under McInnes and Hearts and Rangers were in the league for several of those campaigns

Their league finishes were 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 2 nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 4th. He took them to 4 finals and won a League Cup.

You prefer Malky MacKay though.

Sounds like McInnes could be the man. Hopefully some could overlook his style of play and he would unite the fans behind him. Don’t know many dons fans but they must have been sad to see him leave surely?

NC1875
10-04-2022, 07:55 AM
We need a good manager.

McInnes was the one I wanted. We’d have sealed top 6 long before yesterday game with him in charge. Maloney is our very own Ian Cathro and will never manage a bigger club than Hibs

Callum_62
10-04-2022, 07:59 AM
Sounds like McInnes could be the man. Hopefully some could overlook his style of play and he would unite the fans behind him. Don’t know many dons fans but they must have been sad to see him leave surely?Considering the run they were on when he was finally sacked I'd say no. They Wernt

That doenst take away his achievements previously though

Now on course to guide killie to the championship too

I'd have bet 100 quid that Mcinnes would have us top 6 and still fighting for a chance of Europe this season

Crunchie
10-04-2022, 08:06 AM

Klopp would be hounded out of ER after a run of bad results. Our record of sacking managers is embarrassing with JR being the latest in a long list.

superfurryhibby
10-04-2022, 08:28 AM
Sounds like McInnes could be the man. Hopefully some could overlook his style of play and he would unite the fans behind him. Don’t know many dons fans but they must have been sad to see him leave surely?

I suspect the sale of their best players, like McGinn, Haynes, Wright, Jack, Shinnie, Cosgrove etc, was bound to have an impact? Still, never finished lower than fourth in 8 seasons.

I don’t imagine the fans of Wigan were too sad when Mackay departed their club, after an appalling tenure? That’s before you even consider the allegations around his transfer dealings or misogyny or racism at Cardiff.

I suppose some fans could overlook corruption, sexism and racism If MacKay got results on the park though.

Gaffer1875
10-04-2022, 09:13 AM
Right now, I wouldn’t be against Steve Kean. Maloney is not the answer, nice guy, not the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
10-04-2022, 09:28 AM
We need someone that will question and advise.

Just_Jimmy
10-04-2022, 09:39 AM
Appointing mcinnes would sum hibs up right now.

Could have had him for free prior to a final and right before a transfer window. With a chance to salvage something from this season.

Instead we appoint the last person anyone would have picked, end up in this mess and now we're talking about paying Kilmarnock compensation money for mcinnes.

Mental.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Billy McKirdy
10-04-2022, 09:42 AM
This season is not quite over, I don’t believe we’ll beat them next week so no final but I don’t think we’re safe from demotion either.
I can’t see us winning another game this season to be brutally honest, all the bottom six teams will up their game and I don’t think we have it in us to match that, 15 points to play for and 8 points between us and St Johnstone is not insurmountable given our poor form.
Worst case scenario is us against the plucky Arbroath in the play offs and it would be the Hibs way for us to be relegated by another maroon team.
I’m having nightmares at the moment.
Sack him now and get Eddie May in charge for the semi.

Callum_62
10-04-2022, 10:05 AM
It's a long shot (really long shot)but winning the cup makes everything else moot surely?

A Hi-Bee
10-04-2022, 04:32 PM
Well by the well trusted old democratic way of the Hibs.net poll it would appear that our present manager Mr Maloney should lose his job.
Not much in the way of who would replace him, but time will tell. I happen to think he should not be fired, he will be backed and will get things right, but it will take time, our season is pretty much over, even winning next game against the ggunts would not change my mind.

Steven79
10-04-2022, 04:36 PM
Was Alex Miller not St Mirren manager before he joined us . Took them to 5th in SPL . He stayed so long with us because we couldn`t afford to sack him . As for Maloney , I think he`s got the players motivated but is being forced to play too many young players who are talented but not experienced or physically strong enough yet .

Why did he keep getting new contracts?

Steven79
10-04-2022, 04:40 PM
I'm not a sack the manager guy usually. But what bugs me about Maloney is that he has absolutely no pragmatism, he continues with the same style of football that has seen us win one on 13 and is not even prepared to see that he needs to adapt this approach, even for the short term until he can get into the summer.

The time is fast approaching where that intransigence has to be seen as a major flaw in his character and if we lose next Saturday as far as I'm concerned the only thing that will save him is a board too embarrassed or too stubborn to admit they have made a mistake in appointing him .... if it does come to that they had better learn to sing, because they will have to provide the atmosphere at Easter Road next season from the directors box.

That's what annoys me about him the most.

It's a rigid 3-4-3 and when other teams change their shape he continues with it.

If something isn't working (As it clearly isn't) why keep doing it?

Since90+2
10-04-2022, 04:42 PM
Right now, I wouldn’t be against Steve Kean. Maloney is not the answer, nice guy, not the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be confident Kean would do better than Maloney.

ahibby
10-04-2022, 04:46 PM
We need experienced players. What club is going to do well in the SPFL with a nineteen year old leading the front line. I am not putting the blame on the lad, the point is Hibs should not be in a position where they field the youngest SPFL team week in week out. I have said it before, if any club chooses to field such a young and inexperienced side they should be charging under 21 prices. Charging £420 ti watch inexperience is not on.

ekhibee
10-04-2022, 05:18 PM

Mowbray was a success at Hibs because of Mark Venus, who for me was the real driving force. People shouldn't forget that.

cabbageandribs1875
10-04-2022, 05:35 PM

my first thought exactly

Coco Bryce
10-04-2022, 05:37 PM

He was best pals with Dougie Crombe.

Carheenlea
10-04-2022, 05:38 PM
Mowbray was a success at Hibs because of Mark Venus, who for me was the real driving force. People shouldn't forget that.

Which sort of brings thing round a bit to Gary Caldwell. Seems to keep a very low profile, never hear anything from him, not very animated in the dugout. Probably earning a decent salary though.

tonyrougier123
10-04-2022, 05:45 PM
The only name on anybodys lips should be Malky Mackay.

Callum_62
10-04-2022, 06:14 PM
The only name on anybodys lips should be Malky Mackay.The guy who started the season with 3 points out of 30?

No wins in 10

He would be hounded out here quicker than you can say 'pony up Ron'

tonyrougier123
10-04-2022, 07:17 PM
The guy who started the season with 3 points out of 30?

No wins in 10

He would be hounded out here quicker than you can say 'pony up Ron'

Tbf he’s had to turn them from relegation fodder to top six in no to bad a timeframe after their kettlewell disaster.

He’s a good manager no doubt about it.
Some job he’s done up there in short space of time with a threadbare budget,shipping his best striker in the bargain.

Also man management in cooks turn around is pretty impressive.

And imo hungbo is actually a better winger so he’s gave them good options.

Johnny_Leith
11-04-2022, 12:53 AM
MacKay's a piece of **** and should be nowhere near this institution.

Everything this club stands for would be severely tarnished by appointing that reprobate. He can suck a dick the racist prick.

cameronw-hfc
11-04-2022, 04:03 AM
Look outside the box. Someone foreign, there's nobody Scottish that's available that would interest me, try something new

Mcbizz1998
11-04-2022, 10:05 AM

Everything this club stands for would be severely tarnished by appointing that reprobate. He can suck a dick the racist prick.

We have cheered on people who have done a lot worse than MM.

Mcbizz1998
11-04-2022, 10:06 AM
I would take Malky Mackay, McInnes or pretty much anyone who isn’t Shaun Maloney at this point.

It seems all the more baffling we went for him now I think back and realise McInnes was available.

Greenworld
11-04-2022, 10:12 AM
Ross County have done well under Malky MckayThat would be my choice 100%

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Since452
11-04-2022, 10:13 AM

There are people wanting Griffiths back. FWIW Mackay would be nowhere near Ross County if he wasn't trying to rebuild his reputation. He's a very good manager. At least he's apologised for his actions. He's owned it and is moving on. Martindale did likewise. I'd be willing to be open to it.

where'stheslope
11-04-2022, 10:13 AM
I voted to keep his job, but, at this time he is in need of older head alongside him.
The likes of Jim Leishman who has been over the course so many times and knows how to halt our demise.

Diclonius
11-04-2022, 10:33 AM
The only name on anybodys lips should be Malky Mackay.

I don't want that bigot anywhere near Easter Road.

Crab apple
11-04-2022, 10:58 AM
I think both JR and SM have been badly let down by player recruitment decisions, particularly last summer's disaster. What role they had in who comes in I'm not sure so they may well be culpable in their own downfall. At the moment we have a young imbalanced team which is criminally light in the forward department. And apart from Porto and Harry Clarke I don't see anyone with much fight and leadership in the team when the going gets tough. If SM survives and gets another window then we must get the recruitment right.

overdrive
11-04-2022, 11:15 AM
I voted to keep his job, but, at this time he is in need of older head alongside him.
The likes of Jim Leishman who has been over the course so many times and knows how to halt our demise.

I honestly think Maloney is so arrogant that he’d ignore any advice provided from an older head.

Keith_M
11-04-2022, 11:21 AM
No.

We need a good one.

Butcher was experienced.

This.

bigwheel
11-04-2022, 11:23 AM

That’s as “radge” a suggestion as there could ever be ….There couldn’t be someone who is more different in philosophy to Maloney than Leishman - he’s also not been in the game for many years

A Hi-Bee
11-04-2022, 11:44 AM
This.

Kind of goes without saying really, that we would want an experienced manager to be good, at least good on paper eh!
If the thought was that the present manager should lose his job.

Callum_62
11-04-2022, 11:47 AM
I honestly think Maloney is so arrogant that he’d ignore any advice provided from an older head.If it was Jim leishman I'm not surpised

Last managed a team 16 years ago

He's been an elected politician for a decade

Some suggestion [emoji23][emoji23]

where'stheslope
11-04-2022, 01:21 PM
If it was Jim leishman I'm not surpised

Last managed a team 16 years ago

He's been an elected politician for a decade

Some suggestion [emoji23][emoji23]

I was more on the type of experience that Jim Leishman had, rather than the man himself.
Plenty of old heads out there, just needs to be there to help not run the team.

JimBHibees
12-04-2022, 02:35 PM
I honestly think Maloney is so arrogant that he’d ignore any advice provided from an older head.

Said in his interview he was frequently in touch with guys like Martinez and Rodgers

WhileTheChief..
12-04-2022, 02:46 PM

Look ridiculous to who?

To me, it's the common sense thing to do. Sticking with Maloney would be mental and most certainly ridiculous!!

Kevin Thomson would just be a repeat of the same mistake. If he had never played for Hibs, would you even consider him?

Stubbsy90+2
12-04-2022, 02:53 PM
Look ridiculous to who?

To me, it's the common sense thing to do. Sticking with Maloney would be mental and most certainly ridiculous!!

Kevin Thomson would just be a repeat of the same mistake. If he had never played for Hibs, would you even consider him?

Sacking him now would be ridiculous.

We appointed a manager who was tasked with completely revamping the way we play. He was tasked with making us an exciting team to watch. We then sold the only exciting player he inherited 2 games after he took over and signed a bunch of teenagers for him.

What we tasked him with can’t happen overnight. He needs at least the summer window and the opportunity to have a squad available to him that is more capable of playing the way Maloney was brought in to get us playing.

What happens when we sack Maloney and go to appoint the next man? They look at Maloney and they’ll see that we want them to completely transform the way we play. But you’ll only get 4 months to do it and we’re not going to give you the tools to do it either. If you don’t succeed then you’re binned.

Heisenberg
12-04-2022, 02:54 PM

We appointed a manager who was tasked with completely revamping the way we play. He was tasked with making us an exciting team to watch. We then sold the only exciting player he inherited 2 games after he took over and signed a bunch of teenagers for him.

What we tasked him with can’t happen overnight. He needs at least the summer window and the opportunity to have a squad available to him that is more capable of playing the way Maloney was brought in to get us playing.

What happens when we sack Maloney and go to appoint the next man? They look at Maloney and they’ll see that we want them to completely transform the way we play. But you’ll only get 4 months to do it and we’re not going to give you the tools to do it either. If you don’t succeed then you’re binned.

Surely in the meantime Maloney should be going about trying to win us some points by any means necessary instead of forcing a style on a group of players quite clearly unable to do it. Especially as a large number of them probably won’t even be here next season.

MikeyS
12-04-2022, 04:02 PM

Why does it need so long to make us an exciting team again? Mowbray managed it in a pre season. Alex McLeish had an almost immediate up turn in performance albeit not enough to keep us up. I admire your loyalty to Maloney on everybthread in this board but 4 months of terrible performance and results is no indication that he has what it takes to improve us.

Stubbsy90+2
12-04-2022, 06:17 PM
Why does it need so long to make us an exciting team again? Mowbray managed it in a pre season. Alex McLeish had an almost immediate up turn in performance albeit not enough to keep us up. I admire your loyalty to Maloney on everybthread in this board but 4 months of terrible performance and results is no indication that he has what it takes to improve us.

Because this squad pretty much doesn’t have an exciting player in it imo.

I’m not sure how you can make a squad where your centre mids are Newell, JDH, Wright or Campbell exciting. Likewise I don’t know how you’re expected to get a team playing exciting football when your only striker is a 19 year old laddie who’s just moved from another country.

I don’t think any manager would have this squad playing anything close to exciting football. It’s just not the type of players we have.

Also, Mowbray inherited a barrel load of exceptional players. He also signed a players who were excellent to watch but he done that in a summer window where it’s a hell of a lot easier to do that. Adding Beuzelin and Murphy to a team with Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, O’Connor and Riordan was only ever going to lead to exciting football. When you see those sort of names and you see the squad we’ve got just now it’s no surprise we can’t play that kind of football with what we’ve got.

McLeish spent an absolute fortune and signed guys who would probably be earning £50k-£100k a week if they were playing football nowadays.