PDA

View Full Version : Stick or twist

Unseen work
09-04-2022, 05:47 PM
A huge decision for the board coming up, especially if we lose next week.

Do we sack Maloney or stick with him?

It was always going to be a long term plan but to do that you need to at least be doing not bad to get that time to build your plan. 1 win in 13 in the league is shocking, make no mistake about it.

Do we give Maloney time, another window and full pre season? What if he continues in the same way he has now and then we’re again looking towards our next transitional period under the next manager.

Do we sack him if we lose and let SDG take us to the end of the season whilst we decide who to appoint? That way we then give him a full pre season and transfer window whilst our squad has a lot of room to manoeuvre.

Who would we want in?

Kevin Thomson? Would play the football we want and has a bit of managerial experience, he’d also play us with a bit of intent. His appointment may upset a few with his rangers connections.

A more experienced manager that will likely do a Jack Ross at best?

Another left field appointment?

A big, big decision for the board.

Since452
09-04-2022, 05:48 PM
We can't persevere with this experiment.

superfurryhibby
09-04-2022, 05:48 PM
Waste of a thread. Stick to the Maloney must go one.

hibsquaker
09-04-2022, 05:49 PM
Sack and now

Bostonhibby
09-04-2022, 05:51 PM
Twist

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Unseen work
09-04-2022, 06:02 PM
Waste of a thread. Stick to the Maloney must go one.

Don’t think there’s a threat limit so we should be ok 👍🏻

Which one? The Maloney must go thread from last week or today?

Was wondering folks opinion on if they think he should be sacked or not other than a thread just slating him.

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2022, 06:03 PM
We’re burst.

LunasBoots
09-04-2022, 06:03 PM
The club will be forced to take action when they realise ST sales slump to 7000 and only 10,000 turn up next week

.Sean.
09-04-2022, 06:04 PM
Get him to **** and give it to SDG til the summer. Can’t be any worse and he at least gets us.

Jones28
09-04-2022, 06:07 PM
Get him to **** and give it to SDG til the summer. Can’t be any worse and he at least gets us.

Leaning towards this

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-04-2022, 06:07 PM

No chance of that happening imo

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 06:09 PM
Should have been sacked around two months ago. Why other people haven’t seen it is beyond me.

madhatter
09-04-2022, 06:11 PM
No point without Ron Gordon realising what's going/gone wrong and from him to get everybody to focus on football. We've been in decline for a few years now. Jack Ross papered over the cracks with that freak season - I'm sure he would say he overachieved with the squad at his disposal. I call it freak as I doubt Jack Ross would've got us finishing 3rd this season, genuinely think we'd be scraping top 6 under him. Not solely due to him but the squad we have this season makes any manager's job very difficult.

This happens every time we take the foot off the gas/eye off the ball. Do we think sponsorship income will cover our massive ST sale decline?

TVs, Steve Kean to take over academy, shave your nether region, antivirus, VPN and food prep/delivery sponsors and much more yet our squad and recruitment take a nose-dive. Culminating in last summer's farce and the aftermath which is known as this season.

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2022, 06:12 PM
No chance of that happening imo

They surely wouldn’t sack the manager when we have a semi final coming up would they?

Since452
09-04-2022, 06:14 PM
They surely wouldn’t sack the manager when we have a semi final coming up would they?

They sacked the last one when we had a final coming up.

Pretty Boy
09-04-2022, 06:14 PM
Twist. ASAP.

That's not just aimed at Maloney either who has been thrown in at the deep end.

Since the takeover we have made a series of bizarre decisions and are totally listeless. We need top to bottom change now or it's going to be back to the wilderness years that culminated in relegation in 2014.

The club is a ****ing shambles.

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2022, 06:16 PM
They sacked the last one when we had a final coming up.

Exactly.

Sir David Gray
09-04-2022, 06:20 PM
He should go if we lose next week, I'd be inclined to sack him tonight.

A Hi-Bee
09-04-2022, 06:21 PM
No point without Ron Gordon realising what's going/gone wrong and from him to get everybody to focus on football. We've been in decline for a few years now. Jack Ross papered over the cracks with that freak season - I'm sure he would say he overachieved with the squad at his disposal. I call it freak as I doubt Jack Ross would've got us finishing 3rd this season, genuinely think we'd be scraping top 6 under him. Not solely due to him but the squad we have this season makes any manager's job very difficult.

This happens every time we take the foot off the gas/eye off the ball. Do we think sponsorship income will cover our massive ST sale decline?

TVs, Steve Kean to take over academy, shave your nether region, antivirus, VPN and food prep/delivery sponsors and much more yet our squad and recruitment take a nose-dive. Culminating in last summer's farce and the aftermath which is known as this season.

The mess this team is in it would take min 3 years to perhaps 5 years to get a good side on the park, we dont have the time or the money, so who knows where we go from here. Hibs have been stumbling around for a good few years now, hell even the jamboids can out muscle us financially, we are destined to be struggling around mid table for some time to come.

Mikey_1875
09-04-2022, 06:29 PM
The team is crap and Maloney isn’t getting the best out of any hope we have. The board might need a scapegoat to make an effort to increase season ticket sales. See what happens next week, it’ll be hard to be any worse than the second half today.

BT58
09-04-2022, 06:34 PM
No more effing experiments !!!!. We are playing for 3rd place every season, we dont have the funds to compete against the bigot twins, we need a massive clear out as we are just not good enough. Every season, its either us/ sheep/ Hawrtz or some other team who get 3rd. Is our owner happy about his investment??
B
B

Callum_62
09-04-2022, 06:41 PM
The mess this team is in it would take min 3 years to perhaps 5 years to get a good side on the park, we dont have the time or the money, so who knows where we go from here. Hibs have been stumbling around for a good few years now, hell even the jamboids can out muscle us financially, we are destined to be struggling around mid table for some time to come.No chance it takes 3-5 years to sort out

Couple of decent transfer windows and third is in play again

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Del Boy
09-04-2022, 06:45 PM
We’ll get beat next week and he’ll be gone. Disastrous appointment, need to get next one right.

A Hi-Bee
09-04-2022, 06:51 PM
No chance it takes 3-5 years to sort out

Couple of decent transfer windows and third is in play again

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

We shall see, the jamboids have much more money than us now, the sheep will be back in contention soon, I just wonder who is sitting with the dead man's hand.
He will be given time and he needs time, our club is a mess, we will struggle to stay out of the relegation battle but with luck we shall slowly begin to improve, with each passing transfer season.

H18S NX
09-04-2022, 07:40 PM
Twist

Pagan Hibernia
09-04-2022, 07:56 PM
Should have been sacked around two months ago. Why other people haven’t seen it is beyond me.

you think he should have been sacked in early February, when he was 7 weeks into the job and had just lost Boyle in the transfer window?

bit strange

IberianHibernian
09-04-2022, 08:02 PM
you think he should have been sacked in early February, when he was 7 weeks into the job and had just lost Boyle in the transfer window?

bit strangeMaybe never wanted him appointed in the first place . It happens with every new manager we get .

Iain G
09-04-2022, 09:52 PM

What a pile of **** 🤣

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 09:53 PM

bit strange

Because he’s blatantly never a manager in a million years. Some of us could see that.

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 09:54 PM
What a pile of **** 🤣

So you’re happy with things under Maloney?

I know it’s hard to admit you were wrong but in the absence of you being able to admit it, told you so.

Iain G
09-04-2022, 09:55 PM
So you’re happy with things under Maloney?

I know it’s hard to admit you were wrong but in the absence of you being able to admit it, told you so.

Yeah and am excited about how good we could be after a summer transfer window and giving him time to build his team

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 09:58 PM
Yeah and am excited about how good we could be after a summer transfer window and giving him time to build his team

I don’t know if you’re trolling or spectacularly oblivious but his signings are mince, tactics abysmal, no motivational ability and his subs are terrifying.

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 10:23 PM

bit strange

At that point he’d won 3 drawn 1, lost 4.

Not great of course, but to suggest he should have been sacked at that point is laughable really.

Iain G
09-04-2022, 10:50 PM
I don’t know if you’re trolling or spectacularly oblivious but his signings are mince, tactics abysmal, no motivational ability and his subs are terrifying.

Am just willing to give him time to see if he can do what he wants to do

#2 Double Tap
10-04-2022, 10:31 AM
Am just willing to give him time to see if he can do what he wants to do

every time people use the phrase "he needs time to do xyz", that manager always gets sacked, usually the following season around jan.

decent managers come in and make a difference right away, sure teams can be crap but good managers get more out of what they have, be that footballl or any other profession.

blackpoolhibs
10-04-2022, 03:24 PM
get him tae f, as someone else said, give the job to SDG until the summer. Lets see some bloody passion for the club from someone who clearly loves us and gets us.

My preference would be someone who's done it before, but this guy clearly does not know what he's doing, and is a fish out of water.

SDG until the summer then look at the situation again then.

Nicho87
10-04-2022, 03:48 PM
Twist

Stubbs

Arm

DIXIHIBS
10-04-2022, 03:49 PM
I may be in a minority of one here but first I think maloney should go. Yes it's early days but the signs are ominous as has been stated many times already.Secondly I don't think the players we have are that bad. A decent motivated manager playing them in the correct positions in a system they understand could get a lot more from these players. A few might not be up to standard but not all.

WhileTheChief..
10-04-2022, 03:57 PM
Because he’s blatantly never a manager in a million years. Some of us could see that.

Yup, pity RG or BK couldn't see it.

They must know it now though right?! They can't possibly be thinking he needs another window and it will all fall into place.

The guy just hasn't got it. Rabbit in headlights from day one.

I'm more angry that he thought he could get one of the top jobs in the country despite having zero experience. Never made any sense.

BK has to carry the can. He needs to fully explain what's been going on, explain how he's going to fix it, or just leave.

He's added absolutely nothing to our club since he arrived.

chookyembra
10-04-2022, 03:58 PM
If we stick by him and support him and give him time to build his own team around the system he thinks will be a success, based on the Belgian national side, then in a season or two we could be challenging the OF.
But.
We won’t.
That doesn’t happen in Scottish football, and especially with our own fans, too many rattle out the “he’s our Cathro” line and because we will get rid of him before he has had a chance to build his own team and style of playing, those fans will inevitably be proved right and will take great satisfaction in saying I told you so.
And then we will go on the never ending cycle of hiring and firing managers, hiring and firing management teams, paying compensation, getting rid of scores of players, bringing scores in to replace them and then rinse and repeat that and learn absolutely nothing from it.

Wilson
10-04-2022, 04:10 PM
If we stick by him and support him and give him time to build his own team around the system he thinks will be a success, based on the Belgian national side, then in a season or two we could be challenging the OF.
But.
We won’t.
That doesn’t happen in Scottish football, and especially with our own fans, too many rattle out the “he’s our Cathro” line and because we will get rid of him before he has had a chance to build his own team and style of playing, those fans will inevitably be proved right and will take great satisfaction in saying I told you so.
And then we will go on the never ending cycle of hiring and firing managers, hiring and firing management teams, paying compensation, getting rid of scores of players, bringing scores in to replace them and then rinse and repeat that and learn absolutely nothing from it.

We've got Maloney now because the club learned nothing from Calderwood and Heckingbottom. If we stick too long it is because we learned nothing from holding tight with Butcher.

We don't give managers time. They earn it with results.

GreenCastle
10-04-2022, 04:15 PM
But.
We won’t.

We have somehow become worse since Ross left.

Which players have improved ?

Are we creating more chances ?

Are we scoring more goals ?

Unless he spends millions the Belgium idea isn’t happening on tattie field pitches or small pitches like Tynecastle.

What has he really done to improve us since he’s come in? Passed it around at the back more ?

bigwheel
10-04-2022, 04:16 PM
But.
We won’t.

there is nothing , other than his words , that give any indication he will build a successful team . We’ve gone backwards .

Secondly , great managers are leaders that inspire great performances . He’s not that type of man - doesn’t have that type of impact on the dressing room . He’s a good technical coach- he’s not a head coach - that will be his career . We are the first to experience it .

Do you notice the lack of messages from the players about his impact - it’s noticeable by its absence . They like him, but he is not seen as a great leader like Ross, Lennon and Stubbs were by the players..very telling

GreenCastle
10-04-2022, 04:16 PM
We've got Maloney now because the club learned nothing from Calderwood and Heckingbottom. If we stick too long it is because we learned nothing from holding tight with Butcher.

We don't give managers time. They earn it with results.

This would be a good question for the CEO - thoughts on Hecky and Calderwood time at Hibs.

Probably doesn’t even know about how it worked out for with with them in charge.

Pagan Hibernia
10-04-2022, 04:40 PM
I may be in a minority of one here but first I think maloney should go. Yes it's early days but the signs are ominous as has been stated many times already.Secondly I don't think the players we have are that bad. A decent motivated manager playing them in the correct positions in a system they understand could get a lot more from these players. A few might not be up to standard but not all.

you think you’re in a minority of one in thinking maloney should go?

you’re not.

Pagan Hibernia
10-04-2022, 04:44 PM
Yup, pity RG or BK couldn't see it.

They must know it now though right?! They can't possibly be thinking he needs another window and it will all fall into place.

The guy just hasn't got it. Rabbit in headlights from day one.

I'm more angry that he thought he could get one of the top jobs in the country despite having zero experience. Never made any sense.

BK has to carry the can. He needs to fully explain what's been going on, explain how he's going to fix it, or just leave.

He's added absolutely nothing to our club since he arrived.

I think in time Maloney could be a successful manager. But he’s not ready for a job at Hibs just now. Needs to take a job or two in the championship or league one. Maybe a club down the leagues in England. This is clearly not the right place to start his career

DIXIHIBS
10-04-2022, 04:45 PM
you think you’re in a minority of one in thinking maloney should go?

you’re not.

No meant in a minority thinking the players aren't that bad more the manager.

Keepthefaith
10-04-2022, 04:54 PM
We have somehow become worse since Ross left.

Which players have improved ?

Are we creating more chances ?

Are we scoring more goals ?

Unless he spends millions the Belgium idea isn’t happening on tattie field pitches or small pitches like Tynecastle.

What has he really done to improve us since he’s come in? Passed it around at the back more ?

I think a lot of folk are completely and conveniently ignoring the horrendous injuries and suspensions we've had. Is that Maloneys fault too?

Guy has made mistakes for sure but he's been hampered by other factors also. I despair with folk who are now clamouring for Jack Ross. He had Boyle and a pretty settled team but fans were critical of our dull football under him for quite some time, even before the horrendous run of form prior to his departure.

Truth is there are no guarantees with hiring a manager but I do believe we need to lay foundations for a long term plan which is what the club are doing. It's not popular when the situation now is poor, and I agree it's not good enough but short termism isn't the answer. As for McInnes? Jees he's been ridiculed by our fans for years and suddenly he's the Messiah!

Stubbsy90+2
10-04-2022, 05:07 PM
Stick.

Eyrie
10-04-2022, 06:10 PM
Twist.

WhileTheChief..
10-04-2022, 07:05 PM
I think in time Maloney could be a successful manager. But he’s not ready for a job at Hibs just now. Needs to take a job or two in the championship or league one. Maybe a club down the leagues in England. This is clearly not the right place to start his career

Yeah he might do well, he'll prob get a shot at it sooner or later if he wants!

As for the Hibs job, i genuinely see it as being one of the top jobs up here after the old firm or Scotland.

A decent manager with us gets a shot at Europe. There's plenty decent ones out there that would relish the opportunity. What I want, is someone who deserves that opportunity.

Ideally someone who has won something before, but definitely someone that the players will look up to, respect, feel inspired by.

I'd go for Lennon despite the problems he's had. He ticked all the right boxes first time around and I think he could do so again. I'd also happily have Jack Ross back. I thought we were onto a long term thing with him.

Other than that, wait till the end of the season and see if McInnes fancies it, having done his job at Killie.

I really, really hope Maloney isn't the manager by the end of the season. I want to go into the summer with some hope and excitement. If Maloney's still here, I'll barely pay attention to anything Hibs.

GreenCastle
10-04-2022, 07:11 PM
I think a lot of folk are completely and conveniently ignoring the horrendous injuries and suspensions we've had. Is that Maloneys fault too?

Guy has made mistakes for sure but he's been hampered by other factors also. I despair with folk who are now clamouring for Jack Ross. He had Boyle and a pretty settled team but fans were critical of our dull football under him for quite some time, even before the horrendous run of form prior to his departure.

Truth is there are no guarantees with hiring a manager but I do believe we need to lay foundations for a long term plan which is what the club are doing. It's not popular when the situation now is poor, and I agree it's not good enough but short termism isn't the answer. As for McInnes? Jees he's been ridiculed by our fans for years and suddenly he's the Messiah!

Every team gets injuries and suspensions. Ok we have had a really bad run but the transfer window was poor.

I don’t want Jack Ross back and I also believe he was really poor forwards the end of his career at Hibs same let alone the shocking 3 games at Hampden he gave us.

I keep hearing foundations and long term plan.

Can you or someone else explain this in terms of player recruitment / formation / style of play and how we win more games.

Feel free to answer my other above questions too or do we another another wasted transfer window to try fix our problems.

Also would avoid McInnes - just looked up his Killie results and he lost a few shockers already.

Tam Courts at Utd has shown you don’t need to coach Belgium to do well in this league - he’s galvanised United and assembled a pretty solid squad. I don’t want him at Hibs but just shows what you can do.

Hibs should be aiming for better.

one day maybe...
10-04-2022, 07:16 PM
Stick, stick and stick...

We can't keep chopping and changing managers..
I truly believe we have to find a structure all the way from youth football at our club to the first team. Where a style of play, a system is the first thing we drive into players. Yeah for sure we will always have individuals who come along every now and again that set ER alight but if we want that type of player coming along more often then we have to be that team who strives to give players opportunities. Clever scouting, improved awareness of lower league players domestically and players from the non elite leagues in Europe. We are unable to afford the finished article and will therefore have to risks on players. Sometimes this will workout, a lot of the time however it will not.
Hibs are my team, not a hope on earth could i support another one and as much as every derby defeat hurts the joy of winning them is fantastic.
Suck up yesterday, stop bickering, we are not entitled to win anything, we earn the right to do that and we support, yes support our players and our team. #wearehibs #GGTTH :flag::flag::flag:

Roll on next Saturday

madhatter
10-04-2022, 07:27 PM
Stick, stick and stick...

We can't keep chopping and changing managers..
I truly believe we have to find a structure all the way from youth football at our club to the first team. Where a style of play, a system is the first thing we drive into players. Yeah for sure we will always have individuals who come along every now and again that set ER alight but if we want that type of player coming along more often then we have to be that team who strives to give players opportunities. Clever scouting, improved awareness of lower league players domestically and players from the non elite leagues in Europe. We are unable to afford the finished article and will therefore have to risks on players. Sometimes this will workout, a lot of the time however it will not.
Hibs are my team, not a hope on earth could i support another one and as much as every derby defeat hurts the joy of winning them is fantastic.
Suck up yesterday, stop bickering, we are not entitled to win anything, we earn the right to do that and we support, yes support our players and our team. #wearehibs #GGTTH :flag::flag::flag:

Roll on next Saturday

I agree with some of this. Definitely need to have a bit of patience. However, I don't personally understand this "can't keep chopping and changing managers" thing that is building as a theme. Do people expect a successful manager to stay at Hibs for 5 years?

Do we allow a successful manager to leave when he likes but then keep all failing managers because we can't keep changing managers? Really unsure how this works. Stubbs won a cup to become a living legend and left immediately after. Chop and change. Lennon had his wee fall out and went back to Celtic. Chop and change.

Failing manager = "needs more time, we can't keep chopping and changing"
Successful manager = "understand why he would want to leave to further his career and get paid more money, thanks for the memories."

Hibs will always be changing managers on a very frequent basis. Unless we get a Hibs fanatic as the manager who can actually do the job and not be lured by the big bucks.

JoeT
10-04-2022, 07:40 PM
Stick. Lessons are being learned on style. Injuries are horrendous. A team needs stability and its not his fault we have about 7 square pegs in round holes most weeks. In that squad we have an exciting 11 but we can only been able to get about 5 on the park at any one time since September

ThisIsTheYear
10-04-2022, 07:42 PM
We have to stick, can’t afford to keep changing managers. He will get the summer and start of next season. Got to hope he can turn it around…

one day maybe...
10-04-2022, 07:44 PM
I agree with some of this. Definitely need to have a bit of patience. However, I don't personally understand this "can't keep chopping and changing managers" thing that is building as a theme. Do people expect a successful manager to stay at Hibs for 5 years?

Do we allow a successful manager to leave when he likes but then keep all failing managers because we can't keep changing managers? Really unsure how this works. Stubbs won a cup to become a living legend and left immediately after. Chop and change. Lennon had his wee fall out and went back to Celtic. Chop and change.

Failing manager = "needs more time, we can't keep chopping and changing"
Successful manager = "understand why he would want to leave to further his career and get paid more money, thanks for the memories."

Hibs will always be changing managers on a very frequent basis. Unless we get a Hibs fanatic as the manager who can actually do the job and not be lured by the big bucks.

Stubbs is a great point and it was gutting to see him quit for a team like Rotherham. If a manager does well i get that there will be offers a bigger clubs, that's unfortunate.
Loyalty is very seldom found these days, even the manky mob couldn't hold onto Steven G/Brendan R when it boiled down to it.

I suppose being a Hibs fan is a labour of love, when its good we rejoice and when its bad we moan.
Still think next week may surprise us :flag:

Since90+2
10-04-2022, 07:45 PM
Stick. Lessons are being learned on style. Injuries are horrendous. A team needs stability and its not his fault we have about 7 square pegs in round holes most weeks. In that squad we have an exciting 11 but we can only been able to get about 5 on the park at any one time since September

I can't see any evidence at all that lessons are being learned. We are getting worse, not better.

B.H.F.C
10-04-2022, 07:47 PM

We weren’t really missing that many players yesterday. Hearts we’re without their best centre half and best midfielder. They’ve got other players that will step in and step up though whilst we’ve got a total lack of quality.

I don’t see any lessons being learnt on style either, we just do the same thing week in, week out.

darwenhibby
10-04-2022, 07:49 PM
Maloney would earn more respect from the fans if he accepts 3-4-3 does not work with this group of players
He needs to play to their strengths and perhaps bring the players needed to play the system in the summer
That show signs he’s a good manager
At the moment I think he is clueless

JoeT
10-04-2022, 08:21 PM
We weren’t really missing that many players yesterday. Hearts we’re without their best centre half and best midfielder. They’ve got other players that will step in and step up though whilst we’ve got a total lack of quality.

I don’t see any lessons being learnt on style either, we just do the same thing week in, week out.

We aren't passing the ball 300 times in our own half for a start. Taking throw ins 5 yards from opposition corner flag are no longer being passed back via 5 players to Macey.
Missing players yesterday were Magennis, Porteous, Nisbet, McGinn and Mitchell. On the bench were Doidge and Jasper that probably shouldn't be. Clarke, Hanlon, Rocky, and Macey probably not 100% ready to start. So many changes every week

Smartie
10-04-2022, 08:25 PM

As for the Hibs job, i genuinely see it as being one of the top jobs up here after the old firm or Scotland.

A decent manager with us gets a shot at Europe. There's plenty decent ones out there that would relish the opportunity. What I want, is someone who deserves that opportunity.

Ideally someone who has won something before, but definitely someone that the players will look up to, respect, feel inspired by.

I'd go for Lennon despite the problems he's had. He ticked all the right boxes first time around and I think he could do so again. I'd also happily have Jack Ross back. I thought we were onto a long term thing with him.

Other than that, wait till the end of the season and see if McInnes fancies it, having done his job at Killie.

I really, really hope Maloney isn't the manager by the end of the season. I want to go into the summer with some hope and excitement. If Maloney's still here, I'll barely pay attention to anything Hibs.

The job should be one of the top jobs.

But if we bullet Ross then Maloney in quick succession then we’ll start to get a bit of a reputation.

We have a lot of inexperienced people at the club, and expectation remains fairly high.

Chuck in the fact that a prominent recruitment role is carried out by the owner’s son and there’s probably another one of those fine margins between one of the country’s top jobs and barge pole territory.

FWIW - 100% twist.

Onion
10-04-2022, 08:25 PM
We’ll get beat next week and he’ll be gone. Disastrous appointment, need to get next one right.

Suspect this will be the outcome. Season ticket sales will determine Malloney's future, not Ron Gordon, and this place will go into meltdown when Hearts finish our season for good. It looks like a horrible appointment, set against some disquiet about how quick RG was to sack JR without a plan.

Bottom 6, falling attendances and horrible football doesn't not bode well for the Malloney getting the financial backing he'd want from the Hibs Board. expect it to come to a head in the next few weeks.

chookyembra
10-04-2022, 09:32 PM
get him tae f, as someone else said, give the job to SDG until the summer. Lets see some bloody passion for the club from someone who clearly loves us and gets us.

My preference would be someone who's done it before, but this guy clearly does not know what he's doing, and is a fish out of water.

SDG until the summer then look at the situation again then.

What exactly does someone who has done it before mean? Someone who had managed in Scotland and accepts the OF duopoly? Because anyone who has managed in Scotland has done that before and that’s not taking us forward. I’m under no illusion Sean is pretty ***** just now and his record is terrible but he’s trying to implement a system that given time might just work. Or we could get rid of him and hire McInnes who did next to nothing with Aberdeen but had done it before i.e. not very much.

shetlandhibee
10-04-2022, 09:50 PM
What exactly does someone who has done it before mean? Someone who had managed in Scotland and accepts the OF duopoly? Because anyone who has managed in Scotland has done that before and that’s not taking us forward. I’m under no illusion Sean is pretty ***** just now and his record is terrible but he’s trying to implement a system that given time might just work. Or we could get rid of him and hire McInnes who did next to nothing with Aberdeen but had done it before i.e. not very much. Got a team constantly 3rd in the league despite losing his best players every summer year upon year? your making no sense with that quote IMO i think we would have been top 4 at least if we had got Mcinness and he was backed as Mallony was in January :agree:

chookyembra
10-04-2022, 10:12 PM
Got a team constantly 3rd in the league despite losing his best players every summer year upon year? your making no sense with that quote IMO i think we would have been top 4 at least if we had got Mcinness and he was backed as Mallony was in January :agree:

Aberdeen were
4th in 2018/19
4th in 2019/20
4th in 2020/21 we were 3rd

So your constantly 3rd is a wee bit off the mark, but if your ambitions for us are 4th then fair enough, I think it should be higher.
I am not saying Sean is the answer, what I am saying is what we have consistently done with chopping and changing hasn’t worked so let’s give him a bit time to see if he can implement a style of play with his own players to see if we can challenge the status quo in Scottish Football. Or we chop and change with great expense and get someone in who has done it before with “it” being failed in Scottish football unless you think being 4th is a success.
Football is a game of opinions, in my opinion if we carry on as we have done previously nothing will change, we will be a mid table team with the odd good season but mostly mediocre seasons. With Sean if we stuck by him and let him implement his style of play with his own players it just might work. What we have done previously hasn’t worked so why not give it a go?

shetlandhibee
10-04-2022, 10:20 PM
Aberdeen were
4th in 2018/19
4th in 2019/20
4th in 2020/21 we were 3rd

So your constantly 3rd is a wee bit off the mark, but if your ambitions for us are 4th then fair enough, I think it should be higher.
I am not saying Sean is the answer, what I am saying is what we have consistently done with chopping and changing hasn’t worked so let’s give him a bit time to see if he can implement a style of play with his own players to see if we can challenge the status quo in Scottish Football. Or we chop and change with great expense and get someone in who has done it before with “it” being failed in Scottish football unless you think being 4th is a success.
Football is a game of opinions, in my opinion if we carry on as we have done previously nothing will change, we will be a mid table team with the odd good season but mostly mediocre seasons. With Sean if we stuck by him and let him implement his style of play with his own players it just might work. What we have done previously hasn’t worked so why not give it a go? not to mention the 3 seasons in a row he had them runners up,,,, ? i would love it if we get a Manager and team that can do better

Cod Boy
10-04-2022, 10:24 PM

Should have kept David on as manager for rest of season when Jack got sacked.

Iain G
10-04-2022, 10:24 PM

Lennon 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Pretty Boy
11-04-2022, 07:18 AM
I'm curious as to examples of managers being simply 'given time'. The obvious one is Alex Ferguson at Manchester United but we are talking about an entirely different era of football, something that happened nearly 40 years ago is hardly relevant today and recent examples suggest managers at that club most certainly don't get too much time.

Managers earn time. Long term plans are all very well but there has to be signs of cohesion and progress in the short to medium term. Two examples I would use are Derek McInnes, who was the longest serving manager in the league until relatively recently. McInnes was never given time at Aberdeen, he earned it by being instantly successful. He was appointed in April 2013 and won 1 and drew 4 of the 5 games he managed that season. He followed that up by taking a team that finished 8th to 3rd and won the League Cup in his 1st full season. Then followed league finishes of 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd (with Hibs and Rangers back in the league), 4th and 4th. The second example is Steven Gerrard. He was brought in at Rangers with a longer term plan and it was the 3rd year before he delivered the craved success. However the 1st 2 seasons saw evident signs of progress. He cut the gap on Celtic from 12 points to 9 in his 1st season, the 2nd season was abandoned so hard to judge how it would have ended then he won the league with 102 points and an unbeaten season in his 3rd season. Had he led Rangers to yet another 3rd place finish in his 1st season or failed to iwn the league in that 3rd year would he have been 'given time'.

Maloney will get time if he earns it. Hiring and firing may be folly but so is sticking with the wrong man if there is no indication he is capable of doing the job required.

Mcbizz1998
11-04-2022, 09:49 AM
I don’t care what anyone says, give it Stubbsy till end of the season!!!

Stubbsy90+2
11-04-2022, 10:27 AM

I don’t even want Maloney gone but I’ll never be against Alan Stubbs :agree:

WhileTheChief..
11-04-2022, 10:45 AM
I'm curious as to examples of managers being simply 'given time'. The obvious one is Alex Ferguson at Manchester United but we are talking about an entirely different era of football, something that happened nearly 40 years ago is hardly relevant today and recent examples suggest managers at that club most certainly don't get too much time.

Ferguson is the obvious one, because he's pretty much the only one!!

He proved he could do it at Aberdeen though so deserved a bit of slack.

It makes zero sense sticking by someone who can't do the job. I'm struggling to think of any other examples where a manager has been rank for 6 - 12 months then improved? There must be a couple out there but it's certainly not the norm.

Look at Spurs this year. Ditch the flop and bring in someone with experience. Boom. Results follow.

Iain G
11-04-2022, 10:56 AM

It makes zero sense sticking by someone who can't do the job. I'm struggling to think of any other examples where a manager has been rank for 6 - 12 months then improved? There must be a couple out there but it's certainly not the norm.

Look at Spurs this year. Ditch the flop and bring in someone with experience. Boom. Results follow.

The flop who replaced the really experienced flop before him at Spurs? 🤷🏻*♂️ It's not just experience it's got to be a good fit...we have had plenty of experience that hasn't gone well, Terry Butcher springs to mind.

I think we give Shaun time to have a proper go at what he wants to do, IF it works I still think we could be onto a good thing, this is a project for longer than 5 months

BoomtownHibees
11-04-2022, 11:09 AM
The flop who replaced the really experienced flop before him at Spurs? 🤷🏻*♂️ It's not just experience it's got to be a good fit...we have had plenty of experience that hasn't gone well, Terry Butcher springs to mind.

I think we give Shaun time to have a proper go at what he wants to do, IF it works I still think we could be onto a good thing, this is a project for longer than 5 months

And if it doesn’t work we could be playing in the Championship

WhileTheChief..
11-04-2022, 11:25 AM

Yes, that's exactly my point.

Wasn't working, changed manager. Appointed a dud, changed manager. Got it right the third time.

I doubt Spurs fans are worrying about not giving Mourinho more time now!

Jones28
11-04-2022, 11:27 AM

Ross County had a rotten start to the season and started to improve.

Livingston last season I think had a poor start, improved.

It's not impossible to suggest a manager could get a different tune from this squad.

I don't think Maloney is that person. He's showing nothing to suggest he will make changes and stop ramming players in to positions they dont suit.

Skol
11-04-2022, 11:36 AM

It's not impossible to suggest a manager could get a different tune from this squad.

I don't think Maloney is that person. He's showing nothing to suggest he will make changes and stop ramming players in to positions they dont suit.

McKay had previous that suggested he may come good (putting aside the obvious issues in his background)

Martindale had been succesful as well initially before having a poor spell and recovered.

Maloney at best has maintained our level of mediocrity

chippy
11-04-2022, 11:36 AM
I’m leaning toward Malky Mackey. Pretty good record even at County,

Northernhibee
11-04-2022, 11:38 AM
I’m leaning toward Malky Mackey. Pretty good record even at County,

Wouldn’t want him near the club. On a personal level but also get the feeling that a club like Ross County with few expectations suits him.

Northernhibee
11-04-2022, 11:40 AM

If we could get the dream team of him, Taff and Doolan I’d be over the moon.

Smartie
11-04-2022, 11:58 AM

I've seen Ross County be awful at Easter Road twice this season.

It's pretty mad to think that the team we beat so comprehensively at Easter Road in August finished above us in the league.

I wonder how far ahead of them we were when we went to Ibrox at the end of September?

Full credit to them for turning it around after their poor start, ignoring our collapse for one minute.

Iain G
11-04-2022, 12:25 PM
And if it doesn’t work we could be playing in the Championship

Or we could be securing regular top 3 finishes, winning cups and getting into a European group stage and I could get married to Ana de Armas 🤣

BoomtownHibees
11-04-2022, 12:28 PM
Or we could be securing regular top 3 finishes, winning cups and getting into a European group stage and I could get married to Ana de Armas 🤣

More chance of your final sentence happening than the rest tbf

Stubbsy90+2
11-04-2022, 12:36 PM

Maloney hasn’t had 6-12 months?

Iain G
11-04-2022, 12:43 PM
More chance of your final sentence happening than the rest tbf

I can learn to live with that 🤣

Since452
11-04-2022, 02:32 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with holding your hands up and admitting you've made a mistake. I can forgive that. We've tried something left field, it's not worked. Lets move on. What i'd find harder to forgive is persevering with something that clearly isnt working in the hope it does while more damage is done.

Gordy M
11-04-2022, 02:35 PM

Michael O Neil didnt win one match in i think his first 17 games.....then took Norn Ireland to a major champs.

Smartie
11-04-2022, 04:26 PM
Michael O Neil didnt win one match in i think his first 17 games.....then took Norn Ireland to a major champs.

I think you sometimes need to see signs of progress though, even if results aren’t good.

We’re all trying hard to see the progress, and every now and again it looks like it’s getting better (2nd half vs United) but ultimately there’s not much progress to see so far.

Iirc Mowbray had a ropey start results wise but it was clear as day that he was making changes for the better and that results would come.

I’d love to see something with Maloney… but there’s nothing.

PeeJay
11-04-2022, 04:30 PM

... people knew Ferguson could do a job as manager through, didn't they? He had shaken up the world of Scottish football and won leagues, cups and things with Aberdeen - he had a proven record. Why did this bit always seem to get omitted when people talk of giving a manager time?

easty
11-04-2022, 04:49 PM

I dinnae see enough of Ross County or Livingston, but I’d guess they improved by adapting the way they play to suit the players they have available?

We don’t have a manager who looks willing to do that. It’s his system. That’s how we’re to play. Stick players in who cannae do it and hope for the best.

Like being given the ingredients to make super noodles on toast, and trying to make a lasagna out of it. It doesn’t work. Use what you have right now properly.

WhileTheChief..
11-04-2022, 04:58 PM
Maloney hasn’t had 6-12 months?

I didn't need 6 months, I thought it was an awful appointment from day 1.

You've still to catch up, that's the only difference between us :na na:

WhileTheChief..
11-04-2022, 04:59 PM

Good call.

That's 2 we've thought of in the last 40 years!!

Stubbsy90+2
11-04-2022, 06:48 PM
I didn't need 6 months, I thought it was an awful appointment from day 1.

You've still to catch up, that's the only difference between us :na na:

So just to be clear, because you seen it from day 1 that means you get to more than double the length of time he’s been in charge to make things sound worse?

Right enough..

Waxy
12-04-2022, 06:26 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with holding your hands up and admitting you've made a mistake. I can forgive that. We've tried something left field, it's not worked. Lets move on. What i'd find harder to forgive is persevering with something that clearly isnt working in the hope it does while more damage is done.

I agree. This is Scottish football and certain philosophies will be harder to impliment here.
Imo here you simply have to play to the players individual strengths that you have.

ScottB
12-04-2022, 07:20 AM
Thing is, even if you take a position of Maloney having a clear plan and not having the squad for it, even once we have that squad, he still needs a Plan B, it’s not like we’re going to smash everyone out the way playing his game plan, there’s always going to be a need to mix things up, switch formation, tactics etc when an opponent is able to counter his ideas.

So far, he’s shown no willingness to switch from Plan A with a squad it isn’t even working with, so it would suggest he’ll stick to it even more firmly if it ever does, so I guess my concern is he’ll always be a pretty limited manager, and once opposing sides figure out his plans they’ll just change / counter and get results against us.

Stubbsy90+2
12-04-2022, 07:25 AM
Thing is, even if you take a position of Maloney having a clear plan and not having the squad for it, even once we have that squad, he still needs a Plan B, it’s not like we’re going to smash everyone out the way playing his game plan, there’s always going to be a need to mix things up, switch formation, tactics etc when an opponent is able to counter his ideas.

So far, he’s shown no willingness to switch from Plan A with a squad it isn’t even working with, so it would suggest he’ll stick to it even more firmly if it ever does, so I guess my concern is he’ll always be a pretty limited manager, and once opposing sides figure out his plans they’ll just change / counter and get results against us.

He has switched up the formation at times. We’ve not played 3-4-3 for 90 minutes every game since he came in.

bigwheel
12-04-2022, 07:25 AM

That’s not true though - he’s moved within games from a three at the back to a four ..he’s changed his midfield and forward set up too..sometimes numerous times within games …. I’m not a Maloney fan, but he’s far more sophisticated than one dimensional ….

I'm Spartacus
12-04-2022, 07:28 AM
It's a difficult one, we win on Saturday and can start the rebuild with a final and European football to look forward to budget wise.

We lose and then he's gone, the rebuild is greater with no European football, the pay off is 3+ years left on his daft contract and season ticket sales at an all time low.

The most important match I can remember.

B.H.F.C
12-04-2022, 07:35 AM
It's a difficult one, we win on Saturday and can start the rebuild with a final and European football to look forward to budget wise.

We lose and then he's gone, the rebuild is greater with no European football, the pay off is 3+ years left on his daft contract and season ticket sales at an all time low.

The most important match I can remember.

Winning on Saturday doesn’t get us in to Europe.

I'm Spartacus
12-04-2022, 07:37 AM
Winning on Saturday doesn’t get us in to Europe.

Doesn't it? Awww FFS! I thought if the ugly sisters are in the Champions League then the next euro place drops to the cup runner up, so a final place was guaranteed :(

It's 8:37 and I'm depressed already!

B.H.F.C
12-04-2022, 07:38 AM
Doesn't it? Awww FFS! I thought if the ugly sisters are in the Champions League then the next euro place drops to the cup runner up, so a final place was guaranteed :(

It's 8:37 and I'm depressed already!

Nope, rule changed a few years back. Need to win it to get the European place.

easty
12-04-2022, 07:40 AM
That’s not true though - he’s moved within games from a three at the back to a four ..he’s changed his midfield and forward set up too..sometimes numerous times within games …. I’m not a Maloney fan, but he’s far more sophisticated than one dimensional ….

None of his dimensions suit the players he has at his disposal.

bigwheel
12-04-2022, 07:43 AM

May be true - as I said, I’m not a fan ..but doesn’t mean we accept stuff on here that has no basis of accuracy in it ….

Stubbsy90+2
12-04-2022, 07:45 AM

I’m not sure there’s a formation or style of play that does suit this squad tbf.

Usually you can see something that you think would get more out of the players at our disposal when we’re on a run like this. I really can’t see it though.

Any formation is most likely still going to have a 19 year old upfront on their own unless it’s a 3-5-2. If it’s a 3-5-2 then you’ve probably got Campbell playing who’s as good as a man down.

4-4-2 just doesn’t work nowadays hence why nobody plays it. The 3-4-3 isn’t working.

We have a squad with a total lack of quality, athleticism, character and it’s woefully short in certain areas.

I'm Spartacus
12-04-2022, 07:59 AM
Would I be correct in saying we don't actually have the funds to twist?

WhileTheChief..
12-04-2022, 08:03 AM
So just to be clear, because you seen it from day 1 that means you get to more than double the length of time he’s been in charge to make things sound worse?

Right enough..

I was joking, I thought that was obvious.

Stubbsy90+2
12-04-2022, 08:15 AM
I was joking, I thought that was obvious.

It probably was obvious but I didn’t notice :greengrin

Fair enough mate :aok:

Jones28
12-04-2022, 08:17 AM
I dinnae see enough of Ross County or Livingston, but I’d guess they improved by adapting the way they play to suit the players they have available?

We don’t have a manager who looks willing to do that. It’s his system. That’s how we’re to play. Stick players in who cannae do it and hope for the best.

Like being given the ingredients to make super noodles on toast, and trying to make a lasagna out of it. It doesn’t work. Use what you have right now properly.

I agree, I don't think he's willing to try something different.

What we have seen are flashes of the way we know this team could play (first halves on saturday and against Motherwell in the cup, second half against Dundee Utd a few weeks ago, Dundee Utd away in his second game in charge).

What was more worrying for me on saturday was how easily Neilson was able to counter us, and how ineffective Maloney was in trying to change it. However there was slight mitigation as Wright went off - as JB said on his TIHIF thread it was a bit of a turning point for us. Also worrying was how the heads went down and we lost confidence and belief. If we concede on Saturday we will not win.

Smartie
12-04-2022, 08:47 AM

True.

My concern would be that more managers have changed their set up to counter us to good effect than Maloney has managed to do in our favour thus far.

He may always start 343 but he’s certainly changed it up on a few occasions during the game.