PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 09 04 2022)

Jonnyboy
09-04-2022, 05:29 PM
Once again, an ongoing health problem meant I wasn’t at Tynecastle and had to content myself with watching via PPV. Content probably sums up my feelings until that is we shot ourselves in the foot and let Hearts score an equaliser in added time in the first half. Sadly, it was downhill from there on in and the effect of today’s results elsewhere means we will be playing bottom six league football until the end of the season and the brutal truth is that it is no more than we deserve.

Shaun Maloney made two changes to his starting eleven by bringing back Matt Macey who’d been out injured and preferring Drey Wright over Sylvester Jasper. I have to say I was delighted with the way we started the game as we went after Hearts rather than sitting trying to deny them chances to score which I’m sure is what they actually expected us to do. Truth be told I expected that too based on our performances of late. As it was, we pressed them high and stopped them from building from the back allowing us to open the scoring after five minutes when Clarke fed the ball to Wright on the left edge of the Hearts box. Drey took the ball in, dropped his shoulder and fired a right footed shot at goal with the ball actually taking a double deflection on its way past Craig Gordon. Moments later, Mueller set up Wright, but the goal scorer’s effort flashed wide of Gordon’s right hand post.

Hibs were pretty comfortable at this stage and the home support didn’t like what they were watching and made it known to the Hearts players which must have been music to the ears of the Hibs players. Doig tried his luck, but his shot was blocked and then Melkersen went just too soon in trying to run on to a Newell pass. Hibs were winning the midfield battle and both Drey Wright and Chris Mueller helped our central two to flood the midfield. Slowly, however and noticeably after Robbie Neilson changed the shape of his side, they began to get more of a grip on the game and we didn’t seem to react to those changes. Ironically, we might have had a second goal around this time when Cadden fired in a cross and Melkersen got ahead of Halkett but couldn’t deflect his attempt on target. It was very like the goal he scored against Motherwell but of course, that effort went in.

The hosts should really have equalised when McKay sent Simms through but when the big striker lifted his effort over the advancing Macey, the ball went past the post and out for a goal kick. With Hibs now on the back foot, Atkinson hit the bar with a header after Bushiri had made a mess of clearing his lines. Halliday then fired two efforts high and wide with the Hibs support ridiculing his efforts by singing the song gifted to him after the 2016 cup final. As it was, Halliday would go on to have the last laugh.

With around seven minutes to go until the break, Drey Wright limped off with what looked like a hamstring injury which was a real blow because he’d been having a decent game. Wright was replaced by Josh Campbell and before long he was having a pop at goal but was unable to hit the target. Into time added on and I hoped that we could reach the break and regroup but it was not to be. Paul Hanlon was basically outmuscled by Simms and the big Hearts striker hit the ball of Hanlon’s outstretched leg with that deflection landing right at the foot of Halliday who rifled a shot home off Macey’s left hand post.

The end to the first half obviously brought Hearts out with a spring in their step and within a minute of the restart the home side struck again. Haring was given all the time in the world to deliver a cross to the far post and Jake Doyle-Hayes was sleeping when he allowed Kingsley to steer the ball into the net. It was a shocking goal to concede and at a crucial time in the game because Hearts now had their tails up and Hibs looked a complete shambles.

Simms should have done better with his next opportunity, but Macey denied him a goal with a save down to his left. Chris Mueller was then booked for his reaction to not being awarded a corner and moments later, the lively McKay found Halliday on the edge of the Hibs box and the object of derision from the visiting fans took great delight in smashing a left footed shot into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

Lately, Shaun Maloney’s choice of changes by substitution have caused a deal of confusion and today he was at it again when he replaced Melkersen with Jasper and Doig with Scott. The first of those was maybe understandable but the second left me scratching my head. I always feel subs have the chance to show their talents but in the case of Scott I’m left to conclude that he has no talents to show. His ‘contribution’ for the thirty minutes he got could easily be noted on the back of a postage stamp.

Hearts were in total control now and it was really quite sad to watch as the Roseburn Stand began to empty. Simms and substitute McEneff both had shots at goal whilst Hibs puffed and panted and failed to add to their one shot on target from the first half. With twenty minutes left, Henderson replaced Doyle-Hayes and like the others that had come off the bench offered little or nothing to creativity. Soon after, Bushiri was rightly booked for fouling Boyce and then both McKay and Cochrane had unsuccessful attempts before Jasper fired wildly over after being picked out by Joe Newell.

I confess I just wanted to hear the final whistle and was relieved when it came. Hibs had started so well, lost Drey Wright to injury with his replacement Josh Campbell coming up short and then we just fell apart. You have to ask why and amongst the many views put forward I’ll offer mine. Maloney failed to react to Neilson’s changes and it’s not the first time he’s been out thought. I really am struggling to keep supporting our manager. We are a bottom six team that’s scored three goals in it’s last six league games and the other five in the bottom six look more than able to beat us.

The players

Macey – Matt commanded his area for the entire first half and only conceded due to the fault of his fellow defenders.

Bushiri – Had to have treatment for knocks twice in the game which was unfortunate for him, but I have to say there were too many occasions when Rocky was, well rocky.

Hanlon – Paul had a fabulous first thirty minutes when his reading of the game was rewarded with several key interceptions but I’m afraid his inability to deal with Simms cost us their first goal and after that he struggled to deal with Simms and Boyce.

Doig – Another who looked good for thirty minutes but other than on the odd occasion, he struggled to deal with the Hearts attackers.

Cadden – Chris was far quieter than he has been of late, certainly in an attacking sense. His fine cross to Melkersen deserved a better outcome.

Doyle-Hayes – Fine until the formation change and struggled thereafter. Crucially, he lost his man for the second goal.

Newell – Joe tried hard to keep us on the front foot, but he was fighting a losing battle in that post Hearts formation change midfield.

Clarke – For me, Harry is the only player finishing the game who comes out with a plus mark. Not a tough choice to give him my man of the match award.

Wright – Took his goal well and was playing well before that injury. Give that his departure coincided with the change of formation by Hearts is it too much of a stretch to suggest his loss was a turning point?

Mueller – Chris worked hard but he lacks physicality and was pretty much bossed by the likes of Halkett.

Melkersen – See Mueller.

Campbell – I’m one that’s almost always ready to defend him from his critics but I can’t do that today after his performance.

Scott – Would expend more energy going shopping on a Saturday afternoon.

Jasper – After my initial excitement about his performances I’m beginning to wonder if I over reacted.

Henderson – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he needs to work on his core strength because he’s easily bundled off the ball.

Shaun Maloney – I know his tenure has split opinions, but I am now very much leaning towards the club having erred in appointing such a rookie.

Referee – I wonder if Nick Walsh was disappointed Ryan wasn’t playing. Probably got more right than wrong for a change.

BILLYHIBS
09-04-2022, 05:45 PM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Get well soon

Greenbeard
09-04-2022, 05:57 PM
We are a weak team full of weak players managed by a weak Manager who won't have many more weaks if we lose next weak.

PeeJay
09-04-2022, 06:00 PM
Couldn't see the match today, but your report tells me all I need to know about the game and nothing about the outcome surprises me really ... bottom six, that is difficult to swallow!!!!

A Hi-Bee
09-04-2022, 06:06 PM
We are a weak team full of weak players managed by a weak Manager who won't have many more weaks if we lose next weak.

We are pretty week for sure or even pretty weak for sure.
Nice report Johnny, difficult to write about this team just now.

I_Love_Latapy
09-04-2022, 06:46 PM
It was hard to tell exactly what the formation change was from the Away end, but there clearly was one. Could someone explain what it was?

It just looked as though we were suddenly being outpressed in midfield and couldn't work out how to get out of it. Two preventable goals, then lack of fight to get ourselves back into the game.

kaimendhibs
09-04-2022, 06:47 PM
Fair assessment JB

loanheadhibby
09-04-2022, 06:48 PM
Once again, an ongoing health problem meant I wasn’t at Tynecastle and had to content myself with watching via PPV. Content probably sums up my feelings until that is we shot ourselves in the foot and let Hearts score an equaliser in added time in the first half. Sadly, it was downhill from there on in and the effect of today’s results elsewhere means we will be playing bottom six league football until the end of the season and the brutal truth is that it is no more than we deserve.

Shaun Maloney made two changes to his starting eleven by bringing back Matt Macey who’d been out injured and preferring Drey Wright over Sylvester Jasper. I have to say I was delighted with the way we started the game as we went after Hearts rather than sitting trying to deny them chances to score which I’m sure is what they actually expected us to do. Truth be told I expected that too based on our performances of late. As it was, we pressed them high and stopped them from building from the back allowing us to open the scoring after five minutes when Clarke fed the ball to Wright on the left edge of the Hearts box. Drey took the ball in, dropped his shoulder and fired a right footed shot at goal with the ball actually taking a double deflection on its way past Craig Gordon. Moments later, Mueller set up Wright, but the goal scorer’s effort flashed wide of Gordon’s right hand post.

Hibs were pretty comfortable at this stage and the home support didn’t like what they were watching and made it known to the Hearts players which must have been music to the ears of the Hibs players. Doig tried his luck, but his shot was blocked and then Melkersen went just too soon in trying to run on to a Newell pass. Hibs were winning the midfield battle and both Drey Wright and Chris Mueller helped our central two to flood the midfield. Slowly, however and noticeably after Robbie Neilson changed the shape of his side, they began to get more of a grip on the game and we didn’t seem to react to those changes. Ironically, we might have had a second goal around this time when Cadden fired in a cross and Melkersen got ahead of Halkett but couldn’t deflect his attempt on target. It was very like the goal he scored against Motherwell but of course, that effort went in.

The hosts should really have equalised when McKay sent Simms through but when the big striker lifted his effort over the advancing Macey, the ball went past the post and out for a goal kick. With Hibs now on the back foot, Atkinson hit the bar with a header after Bushiri had made a mess of clearing his lines. Halliday then fired two efforts high and wide with the Hibs support ridiculing his efforts by singing the song gifted to him after the 2016 cup final. As it was, Halliday would go on to have the last laugh.

With around seven minutes to go until the break, Drey Wright limped off with what looked like a hamstring injury which was a real blow because he’d been having a decent game. Wright was replaced by Josh Campbell and before long he was having a pop at goal but was unable to hit the target. Into time added on and I hoped that we could reach the break and regroup but it was not to be. Paul Hanlon was basically outmuscled by Simms and the big Hearts striker hit the ball of Hanlon’s outstretched leg with that deflection landing right at the foot of Halliday who rifled a shot home off Macey’s left hand post.

The end to the first half obviously brought Hearts out with a spring in their step and within a minute of the restart the home side struck again. Haring was given all the time in the world to deliver a cross to the far post and Jake Doyle-Hayes was sleeping when he allowed Kingsley to steer the ball into the net. It was a shocking goal to concede and at a crucial time in the game because Hearts now had their tails up and Hibs looked a complete shambles.

Simms should have done better with his next opportunity, but Macey denied him a goal with a save down to his left. Chris Mueller was then booked for his reaction to not being awarded a corner and moments later, the lively McKay found Halliday on the edge of the Hibs box and the object of derision from the visiting fans took great delight in smashing a left footed shot into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

Lately, Shaun Maloney’s choice of changes by substitution have caused a deal of confusion and today he was at it again when he replaced Melkersen with Jasper and Doig with Scott. The first of those was maybe understandable but the second left me scratching my head. I always feel subs have the chance to show their talents but in the case of Scott I’m left to conclude that he has no talents to show. His ‘contribution’ for the thirty minutes he got could easily be noted on the back of a postage stamp.

Hearts were in total control now and it was really quite sad to watch as the Roseburn Stand began to empty. Simms and substitute McEneff both had shots at goal whilst Hibs puffed and panted and failed to add to their one shot on target from the first half. With twenty minutes left, Henderson replaced Doyle-Hayes and like the others that had come off the bench offered little or nothing to creativity. Soon after, Bushiri was rightly booked for fouling Boyce and then both McKay and Cochrane had unsuccessful attempts before Jasper fired wildly over after being picked out by Joe Newell.

I confess I just wanted to hear the final whistle and was relieved when it came. Hibs had started so well, lost Drey Wright to injury with his replacement Josh Campbell coming up short and then we just fell apart. You have to ask why and amongst the many views put forward I’ll offer mine. Maloney failed to react to Neilson’s changes and it’s not the first time he’s been out thought. I really am struggling to keep supporting our manager. We are a bottom six team that’s scored three goals in it’s last six league games and the other five in the bottom six look more than able to beat us.

The players

Macey – Matt commanded his area for the entire first half and only conceded due to the fault of his fellow defenders.

Bushiri – Had to have treatment for knocks twice in the game which was unfortunate for him, but I have to say there were too many occasions when Rocky was, well rocky.

Hanlon – Paul had a fabulous first thirty minutes when his reading of the game was rewarded with several key interceptions but I’m afraid his inability to deal with Simms cost us their first goal and after that he struggled to deal with Simms and Boyce.

Doig – Another who looked good for thirty minutes but other than on the odd occasion, he struggled to deal with the Hearts attackers.

Cadden – Chris was far quieter than he has been of late, certainly in an attacking sense. His fine cross to Melkersen deserved a better outcome.

Doyle-Hayes – Fine until the formation change and struggled thereafter. Crucially, he lost his man for the second goal.

Newell – Joe tried hard to keep us on the front foot, but he was fighting a losing battle in that post Hearts formation change midfield.

Clarke – For me, Harry is the only player finishing the game who comes out with a plus mark. Not a tough choice to give him my man of the match award.

Wright – Took his goal well and was playing well before that injury. Give that his departure coincided with the change of formation by Hearts is it too much of a stretch to suggest his loss was a turning point?

Mueller – Chris worked hard but he lacks physicality and was pretty much bossed by the likes of Halkett.

Melkersen – See Mueller.

Campbell – I’m one that’s almost always ready to defend him from his critics but I can’t do that today after his performance.

Jasper – After my initial excitement about his performances I’m beginning to wonder if I over reacted.

Henderson – I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, he needs to work on his core strength because he’s easily bundled off the ball.

Shaun Maloney – I know his tenure has split opinions, but I am now very much leaning towards the club having erred in appointing such a rookie.

Referee – I wonder if Nick Walsh was disappointed Ryan wasn’t playing. Probably got more right than wrong for a change.
Excellent and accurate post.
I often feel you are too soft on the players but not today.

Mikey_1875
09-04-2022, 06:52 PM
We are a very naive and weak side which was highlighted today as hearts grew into the game. Hard to argue with any of the player ratings. We have a few that might improve over time but a few that are just nowhere near good enough. Once they equalised it was only going to go one way.

Ronniekirk
09-04-2022, 07:00 PM
Glad to hear your honest opinion Johnnyboy and sorry to hear you haven’t been well enough to attend
I am at tbe stage where I do wonder if we have created a Situation similar to Glass at Aberdeen
It’s not working it’s hard to see where the next win will come from ,and after next week these same players have to fight to keep us dropping further
It’s really hard being a Hibbie just now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeanWilson
09-04-2022, 07:03 PM
👏 everything spot on. Get well mate.

Mick O'Rourke
09-04-2022, 07:08 PM
How you have the mental strength to construct a report after watching such second half submission...nay,surrender,is commendable.
How dispiriting this all is with Hibs at the moment.

All the best,JB

Bobby's Cinema
09-04-2022, 07:11 PM
Hanlon was so concerned at conceding a pen he missed several chances to get the ball out of play.

Don't think Mueller handled the atmosphere at all. Everything bounced off him, flying into tackles ending up on his backside, throwing his arms up in the air theatrically at poor passes.

Bushiri really struggled to cope with the bouncing ball over his head, as did Doig who's pace didn't get him out of trouble as i thought it would.

To create nothing in front of goal all second half given what was at stake for us is brutal. The manager has yet to set us up to create opportunities. You often hear a manager say 'id be more concerned if we weren't creating chances' - not sure what Maloney can point to that gives us much hope.

I'm all for giving support but let's call it as it is. It's a failed appointment, not helped by dreadful recruitment. Change in the summer please.

PatHead
09-04-2022, 07:18 PM
Hope you get well soon Jonnyboy

BT58
09-04-2022, 07:25 PM
Thanks for report JB. Hope you feel better soon.
We need a new defence asap. To play well for 30 minutes in your words, just isnt good enough, we need leadership, we need bottle, we need strength, we dont have any of this with this defence, and you can include RP inthat statement.
Our manager if he lasts, need to get that sorted asap, also need an overhaul of strike force as we dont score enough goals. But thats probably a team problem too as teams in the past scored from all positions.
B

Billy Whizz
09-04-2022, 07:26 PM
John, hope you and Alan can make Hampden next week weekend

GreenCastle
09-04-2022, 08:13 PM
Playing in a Derby is a massive test for many Hibs players.

Playing in a derby at Tynecastle needs serious quality and mental strength.

The team and manager failed badly today.

Awful sub basically conceding the game after 30 mins going defensive.

The high press would have worked for full game but players are good enough or fit enough to do it.

Not quite sure what plan B was but I can’t remember a game where Hibs have played well for full 90 mins since Maloney has come in.

The group is soft and the club has a soft core - sadly unless changes are made we will continue doing to suffer.

Thanks for the report - watched it on Hearts TV and even their commentary (minus the goals) is more clear than the guys who do Hibs TV. Bad times.

Roxyhibee
09-04-2022, 09:27 PM
Didn’t get to see any of the game today but got updates. Was waiting for your usual excellent report for the good bits and plenty bad.

Thanks for this but more importantly, hope you’re well soon.

mokie
09-04-2022, 10:58 PM

The players

Melkersen – See Mueller.

paul Hanlon being unable to deal with an opposing centre forward. God knows how many times you’ve written that over the years.

USAHibee
09-04-2022, 11:02 PM
paul Hanlon being unable to deal with an opposing centre forward. God knows how many times you’ve written that over the years.

You're obsessed with Paul Hanlon, have a night off, weird...

SideBurns
10-04-2022, 01:35 AM
First of all, take care of yourself John. All the best mate.

As for today - I've been at Tynie when we've suffered worse results, but today was the most pathetic, powder puff, uninspired performance I've had the misfortune to witness in 40 years of attending that *****hole.

Next week could be much more painful if Hearts turn up.

AZhibee
10-04-2022, 03:55 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

Ronniekirk
10-04-2022, 04:35 AM

As for today - I've been at Tynie when we've suffered worse results, but today was the most pathetic, powder puff, uninspired performance I've had the misfortune to witness in 40 years of attending that *****hole.

Yes that’s our best chance Hearts fail to turn up and the game is awarded to us
Neilson said after the game the job is only 10 percent done He will have them up for if make no mistake about that
They know our options are limited
Porto will improve us and I think Stevenson would give us 100 percent
But we have no real options else where that would improve us
Even if Doidge makes the team he isn’t the same player physically Maloney has admitted that So doubt he will make much of a difference
It’s bizarre that a player no one really wanted to stay ( Drey Wright goes off ) and we fall to pieces although they made tactical changes we couldn’t cope with and
When you bring on Henderson and Jasper they are lightweights and added nothing really
All a bit depressing
Will still go out of loyalty and defiance but I think they will want to win if on the bigger stage and rub salt into our wounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
10-04-2022, 06:38 AM

That second half performance was as bad as you’ll ever see.

The players, collectively, just giving up. The manager standing there, totally lost, not attempting to change anything.

It was a game that was more important to us than them. What’s next week going to be like when they actually have something to play for?

Turkish Green
10-04-2022, 06:38 AM
Once again, an ongoing health problem meant I wasn’t at Tynecastle and had to content myself with watching via PPV...

Commendable, as with PPV you had the opportunity to switch off.

Wright's goal caught them wrong footed and for 30 min or so we had the upper hand but truth be told Hibs were second best both on and off the field in the 2nd half. Hearts have built up a strong bench while ours is lightweight. We were never going to hang on at 1-0 for 85 min. To be honest, I feared they would end up scoring more than 3 goals.

Hampden is another day and I am always hopeful.

Get well JB.

Danderhall Hibs
10-04-2022, 08:51 AM
Good post JC - also a good reaction in here

https://share.recast.app/v/60mWD?referrer=5lM46

Coco Bryce
10-04-2022, 08:57 AM

The players

Melkersen – See Mueller.

Excellent and honest assessment.

matty_f
10-04-2022, 03:20 PM
Good summary, as always, JB.

hibeejeebies
10-04-2022, 04:27 PM
Get well soon Jonny 👍🏻

jacomo
10-04-2022, 05:01 PM
Thanks again for a brilliant match report JB, wishing you all the best with your health.

Shaun Maloney take note: JB does not criticise Hibs managers lightly.

cabbageandribs1875
11-04-2022, 04:59 AM
glad i read this, i switched off when heartz got their 3rd on 58 mins, it's just too damn draining watching this hibs team, anyway...yet another Bushiri booking and of course not to be outdone JDH had to pick up yet another one as well, 30 games= 10 yellow cards, he could easily have picked up a yellow card before the equaliser for two other fouls...and the one time he really should have tackled was in the box before simms laid it of for halliday, he's now only two yellows away from the top of the yellow card table, we're top of the red card table though

where'stheslope
11-04-2022, 09:57 AM

The players

Melkersen – See Mueller.

I noticed on Sportscene last night, when Atkinson hit the post at the back post Simms headed a second ball thrown from our supporters into the net at the front post????

Forza Fred
11-04-2022, 10:15 AM
Take care John.

This getting older is just brilliant isn’t it?😉

B.H.F.C
11-04-2022, 10:21 AM
I noticed on Sportscene last night, when Atkinson hit the post at the back post Simms headed a second ball thrown from our supporters into the net at the front post????

Aye, I clocked it at the game and my mate thought I was imagining things.

Diclonius
11-04-2022, 10:35 AM
It felt as though once the third went in both teams settled for the 3-1 and went down a couple gears in anticipation of the following week.

I'm Spartacus
12-04-2022, 11:21 AM
Get well soon Sir!

And thanks, yet again, for taking the time out to write and post these. Always a great wee read and makes sense through all the rage on here.

Best wishes.

JimBHibees
12-04-2022, 11:34 AM
Get well soon Sir!

And thanks, yet again, for taking the time out to write and post these. Always a great wee read and makes sense through all the rage on here.

Best wishes.

Yep it is an oasis of balance in a storm of extremes. A must read.