PDA

View Full Version : Lowland League, should we join?

chippy
08-04-2022, 02:37 PM
Looks like Hearts are joining , should we too? Is that a logical step for our B team?

H18 SFR
08-04-2022, 02:41 PM
Looks like Hearts are joining , should we too? Is that a logical step for our B team?

I’d say no. I watched one game the last time we were in when James McDonagh managed the team. Think it was up at Easthouses. They just kicked and kicked and for good measure kicked us some more.

green day
08-04-2022, 02:42 PM
Jeez, I know we are having a rough time at the moment, but maybe wait til after the cup semi before making rash decisions, eh?

:greengrin:greengrin

Jones28
08-04-2022, 02:45 PM
Nah, I don't think playing against teams of cloggers will do anyone any good.

HibeeMackenzie
08-04-2022, 02:51 PM
No, there’s plenty teams is the EoS/WoS leagues that deserve the chance to be in the lowland rather than B teams bypassing their way in

G15 Hibs
08-04-2022, 03:03 PM
No, there’s plenty teams is the EoS/WoS leagues that deserve the chance to be in the lowland rather than B teams bypassing their way in

Spot on.

Lowland League teams showed just what a bunch of *****bags they are by voting to prevent a more open promotion/relegation system with EoS/WoS, then to allow Old Firm B teams in for a second season after promising it was a one off this year. If we're serious about having a proper merit-based pyramid system in Scotland then colt/B teams can get to ****.

hibby rae
08-04-2022, 03:10 PM

Agreed. I don't like how the B teams are trying to sneak their way in. I'd also do away with them in the Challenge Cup as well (although I don't believe they were in this years?).

On the development front, Porteous was asked this on a Terrace podcast and he said he didn't think it helped a young player's development as much as going on loan to another team where you get to play alongside experienced players and learn from them rather than just against them.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2022, 03:24 PM
How much more competitive would playing against Bonnyrigg Rose etc than it would Huddersfield's under 23s? Whichever one develops our players more is the one I want.

G15 Hibs
08-04-2022, 03:38 PM
How much more competitive would playing against Bonnyrigg Rose etc than it would Huddersfield's under 23s? Whichever one develops our players more is the one I want.

How competitive can a game be when only one of the teams involved cares about the competition?

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2022, 04:10 PM
How competitive can a game be when only one of the teams involved cares about the competition?

I’d suspect more competition in that game than one where neither has anything to play for?

hibby rae
08-04-2022, 04:41 PM

Loans out to teams would be the best option, e.g Porteous (Edinburgh City), Doig (Queen's Park), Dabrowski (Cowdenbeath & Dumbarton), and we'll see how Steven Bradley is after tearing it up at Dundalk.

chippy
08-04-2022, 06:20 PM
I think we’re just at the start of the B team plans. Within the next few years, leagues will be reorganised and B teams will get in up to an expanded league 1 level. Maybe something like 3 leagues of 16

Logie Green
08-04-2022, 06:28 PM
I think we’re just at the start of the B team plans. Within the next few years, leagues will be reorganised and B teams will get in up to an expanded league 1 level. Maybe something like 3 leagues of 16

Correct. When at Hibs Rod Petrie did a presentation to a group of fans. The proposal allowed ‘Colts’ teams to join the League and be promoted as far as Championship level.

It’s all about ensuring what’s best for the OF, as usual. They’ve already bribed their way into the Lowland League. It never ceases to amaze how often they work together and promote bigotry to make money.

wookie70
08-04-2022, 07:02 PM
I liked when LD was here. The idea was to have the first team and dev teams play the same style and have that extra layer to fill in when injuries came along. That style and redundancy would go right through the age groups. For that to work you need the teams playing competitively. I want our young players playing the style that SM wants to play and him to have some control over that. Not sure how that would work with all our best youngsters playing at different teams in different systems and styles. If they play in the Lowland League we will have fixtures in advance and it may get a decent following of fans and also a chance to watch a Hibs team compete that is much cheaper. For all I don't think we should be allowed a B team in the Lowland League I hope we do get in.

Eyrie
08-04-2022, 07:18 PM
I don't agree with having B teams involved at any level of the pyramid, so I don't want us doing so.

It's also better for Hibs because it means we don't need to spend money on a playing squad large enough to cope with the rigours of a league campaign, particularly when most of them won't play for the first team. The current set up allows us to mix in 16 and 17 year olds in a smaller group.

Scorrie
08-04-2022, 07:21 PM
I’d bring back a proper reserves league outwith the pyramid . Should never have got rid of it.

chippy
08-04-2022, 07:33 PM
I’d bring back a proper reserves league outwith the pyramid . Should never have got rid of it.

But not enough clubs want to fund that

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2022, 10:24 PM
Loans out to teams would be the best option, e.g Porteous (Edinburgh City), Doig (Queen's Park), Dabrowski (Cowdenbeath & Dumbarton), and we'll see how Steven Bradley is after tearing it up at Dundalk.

Yip - good examples.

Billy McKirdy
08-04-2022, 10:29 PM
Ludicrous scenario I know but what if Hibs Hearts Celtic Rangers finished in top 4 spots then the 5th placed team would win the league, that’s what Bonnyrigg are talking about when they mention pyramid integrity, it’s a big NO from me.
Bring back the reserve league.

hibbysam
08-04-2022, 11:05 PM
Ludicrous scenario I know but what if Hibs Hearts Celtic Rangers finished in top 4 spots then the 5th placed team would win the league, that’s what Bonnyrigg are talking about when they mention pyramid integrity, it’s a big NO from me.
Bring back the reserve league.

And in that case watch the SPFL turn around and say 5th place isn’t the champion club so refuse to play the play off. Near certainty. Lowland league have sold their soul - both refusing more relegation slots to leagues below to filter the league quicker, and also now this.

It’s about time an independent body came in and really sorted our leagues out from top to bottom, and allow ambitious clubs to prosper.

davy67 +
09-04-2022, 04:17 AM
I'd say no , I was never in favour of the ugly sisters bribing their way into the Lowland League in the first place .

Paul1642
09-04-2022, 05:05 AM
From a Hibs point of view yes. If Celtic, Rangers and Hearts are doing it we don’t want to get left behind. From a football fans point of view it’s an absolute joke and should not be allowed.

Waxy
09-04-2022, 08:05 AM
We shouldnt be allowed to put second teams anywhere in the pyramid.
.Just taking away spots from more deserving smaller ambitious clubs.
It’s actually a disgrace.

Waxy
09-04-2022, 08:14 AM

If that happens then i’m out of Scottish football.

The dalmeny
09-04-2022, 08:17 AM

Spot on