PDA

View Full Version : New UEFA Financial Sustainability regulations

Billy Whizz
07-04-2022, 04:52 PM
Just announced today, and effective from June, in place of FFP

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/mediaservices/mediareleases/news/0274-14d9f32dd3ea-b0b8ca4dca0a-1000--new-financial-sustainability-regulations-approved/

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 05:00 PM
This bit is interesting:-

The regulation limits spending on wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70% of club revenue

That might concentrate a few minds

greenginger
07-04-2022, 05:05 PM

The regulation limits spending on wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70% of club revenue

Is that for each season or averaged over a period like 3 years. ?

bingo70
07-04-2022, 05:08 PM

Was there not something similar in the previous rules but it was basically impossible to enforce (or it just wasn’t)?

In what way are the new rules different?

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 05:09 PM

I haven't seen the full regulations, so can't say.

"There will be gradual implementation over three years to allow clubs the necessary time to adapt."

Saracens Rugby spring to mind :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 05:10 PM
Was there not something similar in the previous rules but it was basically impossible to enforce (or it just wasn’t)?

In what way are the new rules different?

That salary limit wasn't so specific.

Billy Whizz
07-04-2022, 05:13 PM

From Sky
The biggest innovation in the new regulations will be the introduction of a squad cost rule to bring better cost control in relation to player wages and transfer costs. The regulation limits spending on wages, transfers, and agent fees to 70 per cent of club revenue. Assessments will be performed on a timely basis and breaches will result in pre-defined financial penalties and sporting measures. The new regulations will come into force in June 2022. There will be gradual implementation over three years to allow clubs the necessary time to adapt.

hibby rae
07-04-2022, 05:19 PM

That still gives quite a bit of leeway, 70% isn't an advisable model to follow! I think Dundee United were doing something stupid like that the season they signed Shankland

07-04-2022, 05:22 PM
Womp womp. Financial discipline isn’t in the interests of the governing bodies so won’t happen.

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 05:25 PM
That still gives quite a bit of leeway, 70% isn't an advisable model to follow! I think Dundee United were doing something stupid like that the season they signed Shankland

The 70% is inclusive of transfer fees, so not exactly comparable. That's the interesting bit for me.

Billy Whizz
07-04-2022, 05:26 PM

They were 133% a few years ago

I’m presuming this only applies to clubs playing in Europe.
So if a club in 3 years aren’t under 70%, does this mean they can’t play in a European tournament

Hibernia&Alba
07-04-2022, 05:28 PM

But don't the mega rich clubs just find a way around it, via billionaire owners sponsoring corner flags for £100 million each etc, which counts as revenue?

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 05:37 PM
But don't the mega rich clubs just find a way around it, via billionaire owners sponsoring corner flags for £100 million each etc, which counts as revenue?

The way to get round it might be the way Saracens worked things a few years ago, when their definition of "wages" was very loose. I'd hope UEFA have learned from that, and have a precise definition in the small print.

We might also see an increase in loans, to enable clubs to keep below the 70%.

Diclonius
07-04-2022, 05:38 PM
The only thing that will sort this is a transfer and wage cap.

£10 million and £10,000 per week per player. Includes bonuses and add ons. Brought in gradually over five years, automatic transfer ban for one year on breach and relegation for any subsequent breach. Done.

hibby rae
07-04-2022, 05:46 PM
The way to get round it might be the way Saracens worked things a few years ago, when their definition of "wages" was very loose. I'd hope UEFA have learned from that, and have a precise definition in the small print.

We might also see an increase in loans, to enable clubs to keep below the 70%.

The new loan rules will be in soon too, Europe then domestic. Limits the number of players you can have in or out on loan some Italian clubs and City and Chelsea will have to trim their squads massively

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 05:48 PM
The new loan rules will be in soon too, Europe then domestic. Limits the number of players you can have in or out on loan some Italian clubs and City and Chelsea will have to trim their squads massively

What are the limits?

wookie70
07-04-2022, 05:50 PM

The big clubs will just rent out hospitality for huge sums to the owner son etc instead of the owner ploughing money in. I like the idea that there is an attempt to keep the sport as clean as possible but it will be how it is policed and how easy it is to circumvent that will be important. The rich are getting richer at an alarming rate and many couldn't burn money as fast as they are making it. Football is just another way to wash the cash and feel important.

Billy Whizz
07-04-2022, 05:53 PM
What are the limits?

8 in and 8 out from the summer, reduced to 7 in in July 2024 and 6 in 2024

Bit disappointed with this bit though

The cap does not apply to players aged 21 and under, or players who are “club trained” – so those who have been with either their current club or another in the same national association for at least three years between the ages of 15-21. These are usually referred to in the Premier League as “homegrown” players.

hibby rae
07-04-2022, 06:07 PM
What are the limits?

https://youtu.be/5G3pckdNOAE

This short Tifo vid is quite good. Explains it and shows how it'll be an issue for some clubs

wookie70
07-04-2022, 06:08 PM
The only thing that will sort this is a transfer and wage cap.

£10 million and £10,000 per week per player. Includes bonuses and add ons. Brought in gradually over five years, automatic transfer ban for one year on breach and relegation for any subsequent breach. Done.

If that came in it could change football dramatically and all for the better.

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 06:35 PM
https://youtu.be/5G3pckdNOAE

This short Tifo vid is quite good. Explains it and shows how it'll be an issue for some clubs

8 in and 8 out from the summer, reduced to 7 in in July 2024 and 6 in 2024

Bit disappointed with this bit though

The cap does not apply to players aged 21 and under, or players who are “club trained” – so those who have been with either their current club or another in the same national association for at least three years between the ages of 15-21. These are usually referred to in the Premier League as “homegrown” players.

Ta both :aok:

CropleyWasGod
07-04-2022, 08:17 PM
On that note:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61017887

The Mancini allegation backs up what I was saying about clubs being creative about what constitutes "wages".