PDA

View Full Version : This should get more bums on seats

FilipinoHibs
07-04-2022, 02:23 AM
NEIL DONCASTER has indicated that Scottish Premiership clubs are set to lose their rights to stream games live to supporters. http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20050379.scottish-premiership-clubs-ppv-streaming-blow-neil-doncaster-reveals-service-will-blocked-summer/?ref=appshr

Frazerbob
07-04-2022, 10:34 AM
NEIL DONCASTER has indicated that Scottish Premiership clubs are set to lose their rights to stream games live to supporters. http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/20050379.scottish-premiership-clubs-ppv-streaming-blow-neil-doncaster-reveals-service-will-blocked-summer/?ref=appshr

Good. No doubt the access to games for ST holders is adversely hitting attendances.

hibsforeurope
07-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Good. No doubt the access to games for ST holders is adversely hitting attendances.

I suspect Hibs are including these in the attendance totals, no way the numbers quoted are in the stadium.

Since90+2
07-04-2022, 10:45 AM
I suspect Hibs are including these in the attendance totals, no way the numbers quoted are in the stadium.

Hibs are the same as every club in Scotland that they report tickets sold not actual attendance.

Pretty Boy
07-04-2022, 10:46 AM
About time.

Frazerbob
07-04-2022, 10:49 AM

Of course they are. We need fans in the stadium, supporting the team though.

danhibees1875
07-04-2022, 10:54 AM
That's a shame, I liked having the option to view it remotely. Appear to be in a minority with that thought though!

Sir David Gray
07-04-2022, 11:00 AM
Even although it's come in handy for me a few times this season for some away games and also the first Celtic home game which I decided not to attend due to the monsoon conditions I am happy this option is coming to an end.

Nothing beats being at the game.

archie
07-04-2022, 11:07 AM
I'm not happy. As someone who has had a season ticket for many years and also has a family member with health conditions that make them very vulnerable, I've had the option to protect them and still see games. That is being taken away from me. Given I've bought my ticket what's the harm in my having access to matches when I don't feel able to attend?

Diclonius
07-04-2022, 11:09 AM
Hibs' NordVPN deal just got better in value...

Bridge hibs
07-04-2022, 11:09 AM
That's a shame, I liked having the option to view it remotely. Appear to be in a minority with that thought though!

Same, I can see both sides of the arguement, it has served me well but that decision has made my mind up now and we wont be renewing. Its a big outlay for us with very limited opportunity to attend in person the past few seasons so will spend it on something else now

Stairway 2 7
07-04-2022, 11:10 AM
Good half empty stadium that has sold far more, is helping with our troubles just now

mussey hibee
07-04-2022, 11:18 AM
I work a lot of shifts at the weekend, and finish at 15,00 so have had a season ticket for last 2 years as can watch game at home, so that's them lost my money

A Hi-Bee
07-04-2022, 11:56 AM
Pity, I will have to find some other way of watching games as a season ticket holder it would cost me well over a grand every home game, even if the time worked, I will still be buying a season for next year by way of helping my club, even if i dont get to many if any games.
So my arse will not be on a seat, but the club will count my ticket purchased, as they should.

GGTTH

:greengrin

chippy
07-04-2022, 12:49 PM
So the clinically vulnerable will a) Not buy a season ticket b) buy one and risk their life. What about a delayed streaming option say the full game on Hibs TV an hour after full time? Then at least I could see the game.

nonshinyfinish
07-04-2022, 12:53 PM
So the clinically vulnerable will a) Not buy a season ticket b) buy one and risk their life. What about a delayed streaming option say the full game on Hibs TV an hour after full time? Then at least I could see the game.

They don't come on as quickly as that, but full game replays are already part of Hibs TV, aren't they? Don't know for sure if it's every game or not.

chippy
07-04-2022, 12:57 PM
They don't come on as quickly as that, but full game replays are already part of Hibs TV, aren't they? Don't know for sure if it's every game or not.

I think every home game can be streamed in full , but it takes 24 hours or so to be up and ready. I’m suggesting it earlier as a compromise for CV season ticket holders who won’t attend. This will hit season ticket sales

MKHIBEE
07-04-2022, 01:30 PM
As someone who is an ST holder but does not attend games the removal of the chance to see the games live is a big disappointment. I can’t say I didn’t expect it however and I will continue to buy an ST and find other ways to see the games

matty_f
07-04-2022, 02:26 PM
The big shame here isn’t so much the home games, but the away games. Being able to legitimately watch games that for whatever reason you can’t get to has been brilliant over the last couple of years.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2022, 03:04 PM
Big boost for the firestick industry.

bingo70
07-04-2022, 03:13 PM
Big boost for the firestick industry.

Will it make it more difficult for the people who publish the streams on the firesticks if they’re not as freely available online?

hibby rae
07-04-2022, 03:16 PM
Will it make it more difficult for the people who publish the streams on the firesticks if they’re not as freely available online?

I would doubt it, the games are still being broadcast live just not in the UK

Jones28
07-04-2022, 03:17 PM
Well, there goes the only way I can afford to watch Hibs at the moment. Need to tune in to those fuds on BBC Radio Scotland now.

hibby rae
07-04-2022, 03:20 PM
The big shame here isn’t so much the home games, but the away games. Being able to legitimately watch games that for whatever reason you can’t get to has been brilliant over the last couple of years.

I agree, I only make one or two away games a year due to the cost involved. I imagine this will result in a drop in revenue for clubs.

It also seems to be regressive thinking, there are leagues all over the world e.g. Norway where it's standard practice to broadcast every game. Scotland is behind when it comes to creating revenue from broadcasting games. Very little point having a Sky subscription to watch Scottish football unless you just want to watch over the Old Firm are playing, and even then the product was undersold compared to other countries with similar or smaller populations and teams.

For Hibs, the best way to get more folk in is to having a team winning and playing well. If they do that most people will go rather than watch it at home

JohnM1875
07-04-2022, 03:23 PM

I'm the exact same. Actually quite gutted about it. Lucky if I missed a handful of away games the past few years of streaming.

SON OF PADDY
07-04-2022, 03:27 PM
I'm not happy. As someone who has had a season ticket for many years and also has a family member with health conditions that make them very vulnerable, I've had the option to protect them and still see games. That is being taken away from me. Given I've bought my ticket what's the harm in my having access to matches when I don't feel able to attend?

I'm with you 💯% Archie,you've paid for your season ticket what's the problem?

Green Man
07-04-2022, 03:34 PM
It also seems to be regressive thinking, there are leagues all over the world e.g. Norway where it's standard practice to broadcast every game. Scotland is behind when it comes to creating revenue from broadcasting games. Very little point having a Sky subscription to watch Scottish football unless you just want to watch over the Old Firm are playing, and even then the product was undersold compared to other countries with similar or smaller populations and teams.

That’s the reason I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription, there was so little Scottish football on it, and even less that I wanted to watch. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the Sky Sports Germany listings, they seem to show every Bundesliga match and a load of Bundesliga 2 matches as well.

SlickShoes
07-04-2022, 04:28 PM
Think this is crap, instead of hibs and other clubs getting my money, now I'll just watch it illegally.

cameronw-hfc
07-04-2022, 04:48 PM
Gutted tbf. Can't afford the £60+ it would cost for 2 tickets currently, so been enjoying the PPV. Been home and away for last 15 years so bit of a shame the one season I can't afford to follow weekly the PPV is being taken away.

hibby rae
07-04-2022, 04:55 PM
That’s the reason I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription, there was so little Scottish football on it, and even less that I wanted to watch. I couldn’t believe it when I saw the Sky Sports Germany listings, they seem to show every Bundesliga match and a load of Bundesliga 2 matches as well.

Sky has zero interest in anything Scottish football-related other than the Old Firm, this weekend is a prime example. Edinburgh and Dundee derbies both being played but neither broadcast by them.

It's a shame there wasn't an additional tv deal done to allow another company to broadcast whatever Premiership game they liked from the weekly fixtures after Sky had decided to screen Livingston vs Celtic or Ross County vs Rangers etc.

LaMotta
07-04-2022, 05:03 PM
Can't believe anyone is surprised at this. It was always a temporary way of ensuring people could watch games as well as maximising revenue for clubs whilst there was doubt about stadiums being open due to the pandemic.

Surely those who are pissed off must have known that streams weren't going to be available forever?

ekhibee
07-04-2022, 05:08 PM
I just can't afford to go to many away games so the option for PPV was good. I have a season ticket as well and go to as many home games as I can, but next season I will not be able to afford a season ticket due to other financial commitments, so unless I am able to get a half season ticket I won't see much of Hibs next season apart from limited tv highlights and Radio Heartsound. So I don't think it's good, unlike some others on here who do.

Bridge hibs
07-04-2022, 05:12 PM
Can't believe anyone is surprised at this. It was always a temporary way of ensuring people could watch games as well as maximising revenue for clubs whilst there was doubt about stadiums being open due to the pandemic.

Surely those who are pissed off must have known that streams weren't going to be available forever?Didnt surprise me, I knew it was coming and was just waiting on it being confirmed before I made my own decision

Hibs benefitted from my and my Wifes season ticket money and I benefitted from catching some games or part games live which was a wee bonus

Keith_M
07-04-2022, 07:38 PM
Not a surprise, it had to end sometime.

Radium
07-04-2022, 07:52 PM
Be curious what the DeLoitte group have to say about PPV. Can’t see the current arrangements having that much of an impact on Sky revenues but all teams will see a drop.

Imagine that the pirated streams will still be available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianmc
07-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Well, there goes the only way I can afford to watch Hibs at the moment. Need to tune in to those fuds on BBC Radio Scotland now.

IPTV...50quid for a year's worth - watch virtually any game you like worldwide.
Subscribe to Nord VPN through hibs and the club are still making money.
Win win.

Coco Bryce
07-04-2022, 07:59 PM
If you really can't make the games either financially or for health reasons there's always IPTV @ £35 a year.

Billy Whizz
07-04-2022, 08:12 PM
If you really can't make the games either financially or for health reasons there's always IPTV @ £35 a year.

How much of that goes to Hibs

Coco Bryce
07-04-2022, 08:27 PM
How much of that goes to Hibs

The same amount as from the person who doesn't go to the game.

I have a season ticket and IPTV. I don't have it to watch Hibs games. I use it for the PPV Boxing.

The Spaceman
07-04-2022, 09:03 PM
All for this. The atmosphere is suffering and the players won’t want to play in front of half empty stands either. It was a good stop-gap, but it simply has to stop.

Jones28
07-04-2022, 09:31 PM
Win win.

That’s what I think I’ll have to do.

I get that fans need to be encouraged back to stadiums, but we’re also living through a cost of living crises where people can’t afford the money for season or match day tickets, but could afford to spend £15 once every few weeks to watch their team. It’s had to happen sometime though. And if it helps Hibs win games then I’m happy with that.

LaMotta
07-04-2022, 10:05 PM
Win win.

Are folk really getting IPTV that cheap?! The going rate seems to be a lot higher from everyone I speak to....

Greenio
07-04-2022, 10:16 PM
Better to get Nord VPN (using the Hibs deal) and sign up to Hibs TV as an international subscriber.

That way you get to watch the games and Hibs get the money.

Watching it illegally you are contributing to taking money out Hibs pocket rather than putting it in

JohnM1875
08-04-2022, 06:14 AM
Better to get Nord VPN (using the Hibs deal) and sign up to Hibs TV as an international subscriber.

That way you get to watch the games and Hibs get the money.

Watching it illegally you are contributing to taking money out Hibs pocket rather than putting it in

Don't think a VPN work for Hibs TV anymore? It did years ago, but last few times I tried it didn't.

Danderhall Hibs
08-04-2022, 09:13 AM

I doubt it - games are still on the club's channels - they just can't sell it to those in the UK.

Are folk really getting IPTV that cheap?! The going rate seems to be a lot higher from everyone I speak to....

I've never heard £35pa before - ranges from £50-60 mainly I think.

Coco Bryce
08-04-2022, 09:20 AM

Mine is £35

Greenbeard
08-04-2022, 09:35 AM
Not confirmed 100%.
“I would expect blocked hours to resume from this summer and we’ll return to a world (https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/world-news/) where you need to attend the game to see it. “But football broadcasting remains an ever-changing landscape.”
You would hope there will be an analysis of the impact allowing live PPV has had on club finances. Even if the SPFL will be hamstrung by the terms of the current contract, with no option but to go along with whatever Sky say, any such analysis will be useful for future broadcaster contract terms. How valuable to the game is allowing live PPV? EG if it reduces the value of a future broadcaster contract by £X but brings in additional income to the clubs of £X+Y, it's a no-brainer.

G15 Hibs
08-04-2022, 10:09 AM
Not confirmed 100%.
“I would expect blocked hours to resume from this summer and we’ll return to a world (https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/world-news/) where you need to attend the game to see it. “But football broadcasting remains an ever-changing landscape.”
You would hope there will be an analysis of the impact allowing live PPV has had on club finances. Even if the SPFL will be hamstrung by the terms of the current contract, with no option but to go along with whatever Sky say, any such analysis will be useful for future broadcaster contract terms. How valuable to the game is allowing live PPV? EG if it reduces the value of a future broadcaster contract by £X but brings in additional income to the clubs of £X+Y, it's a no-brainer.

I think that's it eh? There's likely nothing Hibs or any other club can do about it now - it's entirely down to Sky and the contract that was agreed with them a few years ago. If they choose not to allow streaming then they can do that. However, you'd have to expect it to be part of negotiations on a future contract, with whatever broadcaster.

Gloucester Hibs
08-04-2022, 10:28 AM
Don't think a VPN work for Hibs TV anymore? It did years ago, but last few times I tried it didn't.

It definitely did last season, not sure about this. Use to be Hibs TV international subscriber when I lived down south.

Greenio
08-04-2022, 12:17 PM

Don't see why it wouldn't.

When I'm hooked up to a UK server it tells me I can only listen to audio, so should work the other way round.

I'll give it a wee test on Saturday

JohnM1875
08-04-2022, 12:19 PM
Don't see why it wouldn't.

When I'm hooked up to a UK server it tells me I can only listen to audio, so should work the other way round.

I'll give it a wee test on Saturday

It'll definitely be worth trying at least for a month next season.

Addmitedly last time I tried it was through a free VPN in chrome.