PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Maloney Q and A

noucampos
05-04-2022, 11:41 AM
Anyone going to the Shaun Maloney Q and A tonight? Did you get tickets? I got an email confirmation but no attachments so not sure if there should have been a ticket or they'll just take names at the door tonight?

brianmc
05-04-2022, 12:22 PM
I'm going. Like yourself I've only received the email confirmation.

H18 SFR
05-04-2022, 12:47 PM
I’ve just had to cancel, I’ve emailed the ticket office in case there was a waiting list.

martin1959
05-04-2022, 12:54 PM
I went to the last one and its just names at the door, good night but get stuck into the pies early tho [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Argylehibby
05-04-2022, 01:48 PM
I’m not going but I hope someone asks why he insists on everyone back to defend a corner even when the opposition play for 89 minutes with a man short.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2022, 01:52 PM
Is this online to view for season ticket holders

Hibeewilly
05-04-2022, 01:54 PM
It is Billy but you need to register with the recast App

Billy Whizz
05-04-2022, 01:57 PM
It is Billy but you need to register with the recast App

Ok thanks Willy

Allant1981
05-04-2022, 02:50 PM

You should have had an email from the club with the link?

AL-Qaholik
05-04-2022, 06:24 PM
Surely the point of this should be the ST holders in attendance asking questions, no?!
Simply watching an interview with clearly pre-approved questions is not gonna get anybody on side.

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 06:29 PM
Surely the point of this should be the ST holders in attendance asking questions, no?!
Simply watching an interview with clearly pre-approved questions is not gonna get anybody on side.

They explained at the start. Season ticket holders questions is the second part of the two hours.

Allant1981
05-04-2022, 06:30 PM

Questions are always the 2nd part

AL-Qaholik
05-04-2022, 06:32 PM
They explained at the start. Season ticket holders questions is the second part of the two hours.

Yeah, but doing it by writing it on paper rather than having the people ask their own questions directly.
Questions clearly then being pre-approved before being asked, no?

bingo70
05-04-2022, 06:34 PM
Yeah, but doing it by writing it on paper rather than having the people ask their own questions directly.

Probably for the best as folk would just ask stupid questions if it wasn’t controlled a bit.

“Why are you teaching players not to score?”

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 06:38 PM

Ah sorry, get what you meant now.

Kinda get where you're coming from. Don't think Maloney is shy about answering difficult questions either. Maybe just harder to do from a production point seeing as it's being shown on Recast.

BS44
05-04-2022, 06:44 PM
Just joined in to watch live, are they on a break at the moment?

Allant1981
05-04-2022, 06:47 PM
Just joined in to watch live, are they on a break at the moment?

Yeah they went on a break about half past

davhibby
05-04-2022, 06:48 PM

I doubt there’s time for everyone to ask a question so that’s surely the only way to get the better ones asked, or if there’s similar questions etc. They’ve done this for all of these anyway so it’s not trying to hide Maloney from criticism. He seems to be well aware of what folk think by the sounds of it

BS44
05-04-2022, 06:50 PM
Yeah they went on a break about half past

Okay, thank you :aok:

Libby Hibby
05-04-2022, 07:00 PM
Brilliant so far…Q&A up next

Centre Hawf
05-04-2022, 07:04 PM
Thought he spoke very well in the first half. He understands the frustrations so far and shares them. Very interesting to hear the ins and outs of his Belgium work as well.

CL0762
05-04-2022, 07:06 PM
The breaks lasted longer than the first half 😂

coldingham hibs
05-04-2022, 07:07 PM
How long is this break, I’ve been watching for about 30 mins and nothing is happening.

AL-Qaholik
05-04-2022, 07:10 PM
Starting to suspect the recast stream has gone down

JohnM1875
Scheduled from 7-9 so guessing the fans questions will be the last 45 mins.

Carheenlea
Host must be waiting in queue to get his pie. Similar length of time as match days. This has been about 40 minutes so might give it another 5 or I’ll be switching off.

leith lynx
05-04-2022, 07:11 PM
How long is this break, I’ve been watching for about 30 mins and nothing is happening.

Maloney's got an injury, out for the rest of the season....

wookie70
05-04-2022, 07:20 PM
I’m not going but I hope someone asks why he insists on everyone back to defend a corner even when the opposition play for 89 minutes with a man short.

Corners, free kicks and even throw ins on Saturday. That would definitely be one I would like to ask and I would phrase it so that the second ball and goal lost on Saturday was included in the question.

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 07:26 PM
He really likes the away support eh? He's spoken about them a good few times.

So fair play to all those who attend away regularly! 👏👏

Coco Bryce
05-04-2022, 07:28 PM
Recast is *****.

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 07:32 PM
Recast is *****.

Been class for me.

brianmc
05-04-2022, 07:35 PM
Hopefully he gets a serious question asked soon.

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 07:37 PM
Hopefully he gets a serious question asked soon.

He's had plenty serious questions asked? Good to let him show a bit of his personality as well. Think it's been really worthwhile.

xyz23jc
05-04-2022, 07:42 PM
Been class for me.

Me three!

brianmc
05-04-2022, 07:45 PM
He's had plenty serious questions asked? Good to let him show a bit of his personality as well. Think it's been really worthwhile.

Who's worst in training?
What's your favourite soup?
What kit did you like as a kid?
What's your favourite food?

There was one question about every man back at corners - apart from that.....

Glad I attended but don't think I learned much new information.

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 07:50 PM
Who's worst in training?

I mean from the questions you listed alone you've learnt the best & worst trainer, Maloney's favourite soup, the kits he liked and he's into cereal.

Thought it was a good mix of serious and a bit of banter personally.

madhatter
05-04-2022, 07:52 PM

Good idea and hope it keeps going. Hats off to him as he's doing this at a real pressure point. The questions were a bit pointless though and many verging on being repeats.

As I said good idea but couldn't help think, why are we keeping this man from his cereal? In all seriousness, even good questions were given largely surface level answers. E.g. how recruitment works and corner kick defence etc.

Hopefully club put out an interview with Harper as I'm keen to see how he fits in to recruitment.

CapitalGreen
05-04-2022, 07:52 PM
Who's worst in training?

Off the top of my head

We have been described as being in transition - where do you see us in that process?

What’s been the biggest challenge since you came in?

What’s your involvement in the recruitment process, who has final say in signings?

Another question about whether he felt welcomed into the Hibs family where he talked about bringing staff in different areas of the club closer together.

Greenwich_Hibby
05-04-2022, 07:54 PM
Evidence on the park, not talk is what's required. Needs to walk the talk. Seen nothing in him to suggest he's not just another Jim Duffy.

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 07:55 PM
Evidence on the park, not talk is what's required. Needs to walk the talk. Seen nothing in him to suggest he's not just another Jim Duffy.

Surely the whole point of tonight was about Maloney talking though?

Danderhall Hibs
05-04-2022, 08:15 PM

Do you think he should’ve just said I’m not answering any questions tonight?

loanheadhibby
05-04-2022, 08:19 PM

I went to one of these events when Duffy was manager In Famous Five. To be fair, Duffy was brilliant on the night. He talked the talk.

Greenwich_Hibby
05-04-2022, 08:39 PM
I went to one of these events when Duffy was manager In Famous Five. To be fair, Duffy was brilliant on the night. He talked the talk.

Exactly and on the park, he took us down.

05-04-2022, 08:42 PM
Who's worst in training?

What was your question?

flash
05-04-2022, 08:44 PM
Exactly and on the park, he took us down.

Gies peace.

hibby rae
05-04-2022, 08:54 PM
Who's worst in training?

And? I'm guessing he's a minestrone man.

brianmc
05-04-2022, 08:57 PM
And? I'm guessing he's a minestrone man.

Tomato

JimBHibees

Get tae

brianmc
What was your question?

Are you Shaun Maloney?
(I'm asking you.. )

JimBHibees
05-04-2022, 08:58 PM
Very good of Shaun to do this not every manager would imo.

hibby rae
05-04-2022, 09:20 PM
Tomato

Cream of or and basil?

LaMotta
05-04-2022, 09:23 PM
Do you think he should’ve just said I’m not answering any questions tonight?

:hilarious

Libby Hibby
05-04-2022, 09:35 PM
Cream of or and basil?

Cream of

hibby rae
05-04-2022, 09:38 PM
Cream of

Well I never

05-04-2022, 09:38 PM
Are you Shaun Maloney?
(I'm asking you.. )

No I'm not.

Did you submit a question, and if so, what?

Libby Hibby
05-04-2022, 09:39 PM
Did anyone catch if he had seen the new Batman movie? 😂

JimBHibees
05-04-2022, 09:42 PM
Did anyone catch if he had seen the new Batman movie? ��

Said he preferred the tv show in the 70s :greengrin

CL0762
05-04-2022, 09:49 PM

Manager gives up his time during a week we are preparing to play our rivals twice in succession and still folk just want to moan 😂

Libby Hibby
05-04-2022, 09:54 PM
He’s well up for the derby

JohnM1875
05-04-2022, 10:36 PM
Did anyone catch if he had seen the new Batman movie? 😂

Said he hadn't seen it but he prefers Cumdog anyway.

matty_f
05-04-2022, 10:55 PM
The soup question was my favourite.

Col L
06-04-2022, 05:27 AM
Who's worst in training?

It was me that asked the question about every man back at corners. He gave an answer I still don’t understand or agree with, but he’s not the only modern coach who uses these tactics as standard. He’s better qualified than me but can’t understand why in principle you’d bring a pacy striker back for a corner rather than leave him up front, giving you an ‘out’ and forcing the opposition to leave at least two back. Leave 2 up even! If that’s ‘old school’ then yes I’m old school. It used to do my head in back in the Alex Miller days and still does now.

As for the evening, I thought SM certainly was honest, can see where the weaknesses and shortcomings are and desperately wants to do something about them. He sounded confident that the next transfer window is going to be a big one for us, with quicker, direct players coming in, and ones that can provide or contribute to a goal threat. He didn’t produce any stirring speeches but generally came across very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 06:12 AM
Is there any chance of watching this back?

brianmc
06-04-2022, 06:29 AM
It was me that asked the question about every man back at corners. He gave an answer I still don’t understand or agree with, but he’s not the only modern coach who uses these tactics as standard. He’s better qualified than me but can’t understand why in principle you’d bring a pacy striker back for a corner rather than leave him up front, giving you an ‘out’ and forcing the opposition to leave at least two back. Leave 2 up even! If that’s ‘old school’ then yes I’m old school. It used to do my head in back in the Alex Miller days and still does now.

As for the evening, I thought SM certainly was honest, can see where the weaknesses and shortcomings are and desperately wants to do something about them. He sounded confident that the next transfer window is going to be a big one for us, with quicker, direct players coming in, and ones that can provide or contribute to a goal threat. He didn’t produce any stirring speeches but generally came across very well.

I thought Shaun came across well and certainly seems to know where he needs to improve - time will tell if he can manage to do it though.

His answer about the corners: We defend as a whole team and attack as a whole team doesn't really stack up either - pretty sure when we attack our goalie stays put.
No reason or striker couldn't do the same when we're defending.

Hibernian Verse
06-04-2022, 06:54 AM
I thought Shaun came across well and certainly seems to know where he needs to improve - time will tell if he can manage to do it though.

His answer about the corners: We defend as a whole team and attack as a whole team doesn't really stack up either - pretty sure when we attack our goalie stays put.

Technically, we roll it out from the goalie so the attack starts with him.

Technically :wink:

Brightside
06-04-2022, 06:59 AM

Not leaving people up when we defend corners is nuts. It’s not in any handbook I’ve ever seen. It’s like when he answered a qn about 2 sub goalies on Longbangers. The answer made no sense at all.

Mike Berry
06-04-2022, 07:04 AM
Not leaving people up when we defend corners is nuts. It’s not in any handbook I’ve ever seen. It’s like when he answered a qn about 2 sub goalies on Longbangers. The answer made no sense at all.I thought his answer was extremely clear. He wants us to attack as a team and defend as a team.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Smartie
06-04-2022, 07:21 AM
I thought his answer was extremely clear. He wants us to attack as a team and defend as a team.

Which is fine, however…

By not leaving someone up, I expect us to be doing a bit more defending as a team, rather than having an opportunity to counter attack as a team quickly.

I hate it, really hate it.

FWIW, other than that I quite like Maloney. I accept the football has been crap on a lot of levels so far but I hate sacking managers and would like to see him given time and money to implement his ideas.

Just not sure my blood pressure can cope every time we concede a corner…

Well done to whoever asked the question btw. Really good to actually get an answer from him, even if we don’t think it makes much sense.

Since90+2
06-04-2022, 07:35 AM

Cmon, if people want to have a go at Maloney for certain things that's fair enough but that's just daft.

Goalkeepers are clearly a seperate part of the team to the other 10. That's just plainly obvious.

CentreLine
06-04-2022, 08:06 AM
Which is fine, however…

By not leaving someone up, I expect us to be doing a bit more defending as a team, rather than having an opportunity to counter attack as a team quickly.

FWIW, other than that I quite like Maloney. I accept the football has been crap on a lot of levels so far but I hate sacking managers and would like to see him given time and money to implement his ideas.

Well done to whoever asked the question btw. Really good to actually get an answer from him, even if we don’t think it makes much sense.

Agree with this. The speedy attacker left up top gives the opposition something to think about. But he’s the manager and infinitely more qualified than me

Brightside
06-04-2022, 08:21 AM
I thought his answer was extremely clear. He wants us to attack as a team and defend as a team.

When we won the ball at a corner v UTD the ball came out via Drey....he got close to our half way before losing the ball. Nobody ahead to break with. You can;t break if you dont give yourself a start to create overloads. It just tells me he isn't interested in playing that way, fast, quick break football.

Sergio sledge
06-04-2022, 08:22 AM
Which is fine, however…

Yeah I agree in principle as well however, I can understand why he is doing it.

Our defence this season under Jack Ross had regressed massively from last season and was conceding lots of goals that we all thought were preventable. For all the talk of positive, attacking, possession based football, Maloney seems to have done a good job tightening up the defence, despite having a horrendous defensive injury list. It got to the point where we only had one fit centre back in some games.

He has, rightly IMHO, started by getting the defence sorted and then trying to build from there. The problems we have aren't in the defence any more. Perhaps the policy of pulling everyone back for corners is part of the plan to make sure we don't concede as the starting point and try to build from there.

Hopefully next season will be different when he's more confident in the players defensively.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2022, 08:22 AM
The corner thing and some of the simpering responses are a bit pathetic. He’s more qualififed etc, GTF :greengrin.

Basic maths anyone? You leave one guy, maybe like wee Jasper, and he occupies two defenders. Is that not reducing the presence of the opposition in the box and defending as a team.

Maloney on this is talking Tom Kite, end of.

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 08:23 AM
When we won the ball at a corner v UTD the ball came out via Drey....he got close to our half way before losing the ball. Nobody ahead to break with. You can;t break if you dont give yourself a start to create overloads. It just tells me he isn't interested in playing that way, fast, quick break football.

A bit conflicted with it if it makes us more difficult to score against then a good thing but agree we are then less likely to break out from one and could be camped in from a first clearance.

Mike Berry
06-04-2022, 08:23 AM
When we won the ball at a corner v UTD the ball came out via Drey....he got close to our half way before losing the ball. Nobody ahead to break with. You can;t break if you dont give yourself a start to create overloads. It just tells me he isn't interested in playing that way, fast, quick break football.Maybe he should read this thread. Then he'd know how to set a team up, courtesy of all us football genuises on here.

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 08:24 AM
The corner thing and some of the simpering responses are a bit pathetic. He’s more qualififed etc, GTF :greengrin.

Basic maths anyone? You leave one guy, maybe like wee Jasper, and he occupies two defenders. Is that not reducing the presence of the opposition in the box and defending as a team.

Most teams would leave back two players anyway.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2022, 08:26 AM
It does seem a strange one to me - when you clear it you're just giving them the ball back, which goes against the possession based game?

What do Man City and Liverpool do?

Brightside
06-04-2022, 08:26 AM
Maybe he should read this thread. Then he'd know how to set a team up, courtesy of all us football genuises on here.

OK. Shaun you just do anything you like form now on. We are surely allowed to discuss it. He's not the Messiah. There are very few teams i've ever seen that setup like that.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2022, 08:27 AM
Maybe he should read this thread. Then he'd know how to set a team up, courtesy of all us football genuises on here.

The usual fallback of the apologist. It’s not a cliche or anything though:confused:

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 08:28 AM
Done a quick google search and looks like it isn't so unusual in this analysis of corners in the EPL.

https://thepfsa.co.uk/analysing-defending-corners/

superfurryhibby
It does seem a strange one to me - when you clear it you're just giving them the ball back, which goes against the possession based game?

In a way, does it matter what sides who play at a level far removed from us do?

It’s a totally different game.

JimBHibees
OK. Shaun you just do anything you like form now on. We are surely allowed to discuss it. He's not the Messiah. There are very few teams i've ever seen that setup like that.

Some analysis here

Smartie
06-04-2022, 08:29 AM
Yeah I agree in principle as well however, I can understand why he is doing it.

Our defence this season under Jack Ross had regressed massively from last season and was conceding lots of goals that we all thought were preventable. For all the talk of positive, attacking, possession based football, Maloney seems to have done a good job tightening up the defence, despite having a horrendous defensive injury list. It got to the point where we only had one fit centre back in some games.

He has, rightly IMHO, started by getting the defence sorted and then trying to build from there. The problems we have aren't in the defence any more. Perhaps the policy of pulling everyone back for corners is part of the plan to make sure we don't concede as the starting point and try to build from there.

Hopefully next season will be different when he's more confident in the players defensively.

I might even accept that there’s a time and a place for it. Either of the next 2 weekends if we’re a goal up in the last 10 minutes? Probably not unreasonable. If we’re looking good for a result at Ibrox, Parkhead or Pittodrie? Sure.

The one late on Saturday, a game I felt we had to win, boiled my piss. Personally I think it brings defensive pressure on you (did the United goal on Saturday come from a corner that came back at us?) and blunts a counter attacking threat.

Obviously Maloney knows his stuff and has his reasons, I just don’t love it being the only thing we ever do.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2022, 08:29 AM
In a way, does it matter what sides who play at a level far removed from us do?

It’s a totally different game.

Is it? What do Celtic and Rangers do then?

Brightside
06-04-2022, 08:30 AM

They do actually quite often bring 11 back. But they have players faster than anything the scottish game has seen. We dont have that pace since Boyle left. Comes back to playing a system that suits the players imo.

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 08:30 AM

Seems he may not be.

Has a line it why do fewer teams leave players up at corners

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 08:31 AM
A bit conflicted with it if it makes us more difficult to score against then a good thing but agree we are then less likely to break out from one and could be camped in from a first clearance.

To be fair I’m not sure we’re ever going to break out from one on the counter regardless.

We’ve very little pace in the team so I can see why we’re not setting up to hit teams on the counter. If we still had Boyle then I’d expect us to keep one up but I’m not sure any of our current players are suited to counter attacking football all that much.

Maybe we just view it as something that would generally be unsuccessful for us where as our defensive record under Maloney has been good, so it could be argued that keeping everyone back at corners is generally working quite well?

If we conceded regularly from corners and rarely scored on the counter but kept 2 men forward then I’d expect us to look at bringing 1 or even both of them back as they’re being completely ineffective. On the flip side, we now rarely concede from corners so I’d say that whilst generally speaking I’d prefer to see us with someone staying forward, what we’re doing seems to be working just fine.

There may even be a statistical argument to be made for how many goals are scored on the counter from defending a corner v how many goals are conceded with X amount of players back that shows just focusing on defending the corner is more effective than hoping to break 100 yards and score?

Mike Berry
06-04-2022, 08:33 AM
OK. Shaun you just do anything you like form now on. We are surely allowed to discuss it. He's not the Messiah. There are very few teams i've ever seen that setup like that.I'm not saying he's the messiah. But there are a lot of teams now that follow the approach he described. See it a lot in the EPL. I'm not sure why you're so against it. I've seen plenty of games before Maloney came where the likes of Doidge/Nisbet ran around isolated and contributing nothing. Maloney maybe thinks it's a waste of a body. He might be right.

Brightside
06-04-2022, 08:33 AM
Seems he may not be.

TBF though we arent Man City or Liverpool. We are far removed from that level of player. The level of player makes a huge difference.

Mike Berry
06-04-2022, 08:34 AM
The usual fallback of the apologist. It’s not a cliche or anything though:confused:"Apologist"? People on here are ridiculous sometimes.

Smartie
06-04-2022, 08:36 AM
I remember reading something by someone of the great Liverpool team of the 80s talking about this, might have been Ian Rush.

They’d leave 2 up the park, that forces the opposition to keep 3 back. I think they had men on the posts, then everyone else man for man. They’d back their defenders to get the better of the opposition attackers and carry a threat on the break.

It made sense to me, allowing for a different era and a very high standard of footballer.

easty
06-04-2022, 08:40 AM

Cannae stand this kind of chat.

Maloney is better qualified, and if you dinnae agree with him then you're just wrong.

I wasn't a fan of Terry Butcher or Colin Calderwoods tactics either, but they're also far more qualified than most of us so we should've just supported all the decisions they made.

Mike Berry
06-04-2022, 08:40 AM
OK. Shaun you just do anything you like form now on. We are surely allowed to discuss it. He's not the Messiah. There are very few teams i've ever seen that setup like that.Ok, ok, no need to have a tantrum. I just think too many people on here are panicking. And if you've never seen a team set up without leaving a man up at corners, try the EPL for a start.

Hibernian Verse
06-04-2022, 08:42 AM
I remember reading something by someone of the great Liverpool team of the 80s talking about this, might have been Ian Rush.

They’d leave 2 up the park, that forces the opposition to keep 3 back. I think they had men on the posts, then everyone else man for man. They’d back their defenders to get the better of the opposition attackers and carry a threat on the break.

It made sense to me, allowing for a different era and a very high standard of footballer.

Conversely, that leaves much more space in the box for attackers to lose their defenders. If the box is packed it makes it much harder to get a decent head at goal which has to be precise, whereas a defender just needs to get on the end of it in the general direction away from the goal.

As you say, a much higher standard of footballer down south.

Mike Berry
06-04-2022, 08:44 AM

Maloney is better qualified, and if you dinnae agree with him then you're just wrong.

I wasn't a fan of Terry Butcher or Colin Calderwoods tactics either, but they're also far more qualified than most of us so we should've just supported all the decisions they made.And I can't stand people talking as if they're tactical experts. We're fans. Just because there's a tradition of leaving a man up at corners doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. For a start, it means one man spends long periods doing nothing. Maybe there's a reason many of top twams don't do it anymore?

Honestly, the tantrums on here are hilarious.

easty
06-04-2022, 08:46 AM
And I can't stand people talking as if they're tactical experts. We're fans. Just because there's a tradition of leaving a man up at corners doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. For a start, it means one man spends long periods doing nothing. Maybe there's a reason many of top twams don't do it anymore?

Who's having a tantrum? :confused:

I don't think anyone is claiming to be an expert. We are fans. Fans who've watched thousands of hours of football, we do have a fair idea what we're talking about. It's not like I went to a greggs once and now I think I can make a wedding cake.

Many top teams are at the top of their leagues, scoring loads and conceding few. I wish we'd try to emulate that part of the top teams.

superfurryhibby
06-04-2022, 08:46 AM
Seems he may not be.

“If a team is particularly strong at attacking set pieces, it’s always insightful to look at how their set up changes when the defending team leaves players up the pitch. Changing your set up from a defending teams’ point of view might actually reduce the threat of the attacking team. If you leave 3 players up they may leave 4 or even 5 players back which means they only have 4 players inside the box rather than their normal 5. As always, this is a game of cat & mouse but through analysis, we can reduce the element of surprise & understand how our tactical changes should affect our opponent’s tactical changes”

Can anyone translate into basic English?

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 08:52 AM
“If a team is particularly strong at attacking set pieces, it’s always insightful to look at how their set up changes when the defending team leaves players up the pitch. Changing your set up from a defending teams’ point of view might actually reduce the threat of the attacking team. If you leave 3 players up they may leave 4 or even 5 players back which means they only have 4 players inside the box rather than their normal 5. As always, this is a game of cat & mouse but through analysis, we can reduce the element of surprise & understand how our tactical changes should affect our opponent’s tactical changes”

Can anyone translate into basic English?

Doing different things can lead to different results basically :greengrin

Basically, If celtic are good on the counter attack from corners and leave two men forward then most teams will leave 3 men back. Try leaving 1 back and then they’ll need to send both men back to defend, thus weakening their strength.

The cat and mouse side of it though is that if they take the gamble and leave the 2 men forward anyway then you might be in even more bother than you would have been.

Argylehibby
06-04-2022, 08:57 AM

It slows everything down as even if the keeper catches the corner there is no opportunity to break quickly and catch the opponent’s out. We are left standing still till everyone is back in position. As I said earlier in this thread it made even less sense when Motherwell played 89 minutes with 10 men.

Since452
06-04-2022, 09:01 AM
The counter attack needs to be something we get better at. It's something i thought we did pretty well under the last manager albeit we had Boyle there to help. I'm no expert but having everyone back at corners surely limits the chances of a quick counter?

Col L
06-04-2022, 09:04 AM
And I can't stand people talking as if they're tactical experts. We're fans. Just because there's a tradition of leaving a man up at corners doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. For a start, it means one man spends long periods doing nothing. Maybe there's a reason many of top twams don't do it anymore?

We're fans... so we can't have any level of insight or opinion into tactics? Many/most of us have either watched or played in hundreds of games of fitba - christ, we may even have formed some level of knowledge or insight without having the Largs badges to prove it. For you to generalise and suggest our opinions aren't valid because we are mere 'fans' is a bit snide is it not?

And as for your tactical point, it's not all about leaving a man up front because he's going to automatically get the ball and run riot on the counter-attack. Most of the time, as we know, they don't. It means the team having the corner or the set-piece have fewer players in the box, and fewer players who can score against you. If you trust your defenders to win the ball or clear their lines, then there's nothing wrong with that approach surely? The all 11 back for set plays is negative football IMO... in an era where entertainment is already lacking.

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 09:04 AM
The counter attack needs to be something we get better at. It's something i thought we did pretty well under the last manager albeit we had Boyle there to help. I'm no expert but having everyone back at corners surely limits the chances of a quick counter?

It does, but so does a lack of players with any real pace. Without players with paceI’m not sure it’s all that worth us attempting something that I’d imagine guys like Mueller, Nisbet, Melkersen, Drey Wright etc would be fairly unsuccessful at anyway.

Defending with everyone in the box though is proving fairly successful as we’ve really tightened up at the back.

I’d much rather see us leave people forward in an ideal world but I think it makes a lot of sense why we don’t.

Since452
06-04-2022, 09:06 AM
It does, but so does a lack of players with any real pace. Without players with paceI’m not sure it’s all that worth us attempting something that I’d imagine guys like Mueller, Nisbet, Melkersen, Drey Wright etc would be fairly unsuccessful at anyway.

Defending with everyone in the box though is proving fairly successful as we’ve really tightened up at the back.

I’d much rather see us leave people forward in an ideal world but I think it makes a lot of sense why we don’t.

Thats true. We are conceding less from crosses. I think it's been done for that reason. Maybe it will chance when there is more pace in in the team again.

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 09:09 AM
Thats true. We are conceding less from crosses. I think it's been done for that reason. Maybe it will chance when there is more pace in in the team again.

That’s what I’m hoping. We need a couple of attacking players with pace in the summer regardless. If we get them then I’d hope we’d fancy ourselves more on the counter.

Centre Hawf
06-04-2022, 10:10 AM

We also had one where we broke as a team with Rocky charging down the line with Cadden(?) if we picked the right option or the final ball was a little better we would have probably had a goal.

There is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

Nevi_SOL
06-04-2022, 10:14 AM
TBF though we arent Man City or Liverpool. We are far removed from that level of player. The level of player makes a huge difference.

On the flip side. We aren’t up against the same calibre of player really

Smartie
06-04-2022, 10:14 AM
We also had one where we broke as a team with Rocky charging down the line with Cadden(?) if we picked the right option or the final ball was a little better we would have probably had a goal.

There is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak.

I think it was Henderson who was closest to Rocky that time.

It was pretty funny tbh - Rocky can fair shift when he wants to. The other players who were breaking with him were struggling to keep up, certainly struggling to stay in front of him and take up useful positions.

There were a few times on Saturday that frustrated me in that we had players wanting to carry the ball into space already taken up by one of our players. Not sure whether it was the player in possession or the player getting in the way that was more at fault but it seemed to happen on more than a few occasions.

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 10:20 AM
On the flip side. We aren’t up against the same calibre of player really

:agree:

When people criticise Maloney for wanting us to play like Belgium and declare “even though we don’t have De Bruyne” etc, they fail to also point out that we’re not coming up against Virgil Van Dijk, Sergio Ramos or Ruben Dias.

It’s all relative. There’s no reason we can’t replicate Belgium. It’ll just be done at our level of football.

Ruben Neves can score 30 yard goals for fun. So can Stevie Mallan. Difference is that Neves does it into Ederson, De Gea etc while Mallan would do it into Jack Hamilton or Scott Bain etc. Just because they’re not as good it doesn’t mean they can’t do it at the level they’re playing it and the same goes for Hibs whether it’s in regard to playing 3-4-3 or keeping everyone back at corners.

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 10:44 AM

While appreciating that it is the general concept I am assuming in that we are less likely to lose a goal at a corner if all zones covered. Cant say I am particularly bothered one way or the other though there does appear to be some basis in that other teams do it also irrespective of the level.

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 10:48 AM
It slows everything down as even if the keeper catches the corner there is no opportunity to break quickly and catch the opponent’s out. We are left standing still till everyone is back in position. As I said earlier in this thread it made even less sense when Motherwell played 89 minutes with 10 men.

Honestly think it would make less sense to change how we are organised and practice at corners irrespective if team was down to 10. We were winning so important to stop them scoring especially in a set piece which was probably their only real chance to score.

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 11:16 AM
Honestly think it would make less sense to change how we are organised and practice at corners irrespective if team was down to 10. We were winning so important to stop them scoring especially in a set piece which was probably their only real chance to score.

:agree:

The way we were playing had us 2-0 up in 20 mins. I wouldn’t have been changing it either.

WhileTheChief..
06-04-2022, 11:46 AM
Soup and corners.

Is that it, or was anything else discussed?!

Unseen work
06-04-2022, 11:52 AM
I’m surprised at how many folk are annoying about the corners.

When was the last time we scored from a counter attack directly from an opposition corner? I’d guess the amount of times is very very slim.

Look at Saturday though, Rocky ran the length of the pitch on the counter at one point before playing it to Hendo who was unlucky with his cross.

Were conceding less goals now so I’m all for it.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2022, 12:06 PM
soup and corners.

Is that it, or was anything else discussed?!

fyi

off the top of my head

we have been described as being in transition - where do you see us in that process?

What’s been the biggest challenge since you came in?

What’s your involvement in the recruitment process, who has final say in signings?

Another question about whether he felt welcomed into the hibs family where he talked about bringing staff in different areas of the club closer together.

bingo70
06-04-2022, 12:16 PM

When was the last time we scored from a counter attack directly from an opposition corner? I’d guess the amount of times is very very slim.

Look at Saturday though, Rocky ran the length of the pitch on the counter at one point before playing it to Hendo who was unlucky with his cross.

I think it’s one of these things that’s very frustrating to see at the game but statistically makes sense to do. Not exactly the same thing but similar principles to short corners, I’ve always hated those things but read recently that you’re far more likely to score from a short corner than it just being launched in the box. If you think that’ll stop me going daft when a short corner is taken though you’re very much mistaken.

brog
06-04-2022, 12:20 PM

FWIW I also hate everyone back at corners. I once had a very long conversation with Alex Miller about it. However if you leave 2 up and have 2 on the posts then it means, even if opposition leave 3 back, at least one of them is free in the box. Something has to give. It's working ok for us just now though we lost 2 free kick goals in last 2 weeks. As others have said, it's a question of breaking quickly.

Brizo
06-04-2022, 12:23 PM

I wasn't a fan of Terry Butcher or Colin Calderwoods tactics either, but they're also far more qualified than most of us so we should've just supported all the decisions they made.

While I doubt many of us have the cooking skills of Gordon Ramsey, the directorial skills of Martin Scorsese, or the musical ability of Paul Weller I'm sure we've all come out of restaurants, the pictures, or a gig saying that was crap. I'd be amazed if that opinion has ever been challenged on the basis of show me your culinary or film school "medals" :greengrin.

It seems footballs the only area where the default defense of so many in the game and in the stands is if you haven't played the game at a certain level you cant have an opinion on what your watching.

Smartie
06-04-2022, 12:35 PM
FWIW I also hate everyone back at corners. I once had a very long conversation with Alex Miller about it. However if you leave 2 up and have 2 on the posts then it means, even if opposition leave 3 back, at least one of them is free in the box. Something has to give. It's working ok for us just now though we lost 2 free kick goals in last 2 weeks. As others have said, it's a question of breaking quickly.

They have someone taking the corner - therefore they won't have one free in the box.

No?

Stubbsy90+2
06-04-2022, 12:36 PM
I think it’s one of these things that’s very frustrating to see at the game but statistically makes sense to do. Not exactly the same thing but similar principles to short corners, I’ve always hated those things but read recently that you’re far more likely to score from a short corner than it just being launched in the box. If you think that’ll stop me going daft when a short corner is taken though you’re very much mistaken.

I would be interested to see stats on this but I’ve no idea where you’d get them.

Keeping in mind a counter attack directly from a defended corner to a goal needs you to get 100 yards up the pitch and score a goal, id imagine it’s an absolute rarity statistically.

If having everyone back defending makes you less likely to concede than having people forward makes you likely to score then as boring as it is to see I’m not sure how it can be argued that it’s not the right thing to do.

That is an if though because I don’t know the numbers.

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 12:50 PM
While I doubt many of us have the cooking skills of Gordon Ramsey, the directorial skills of Martin Scorsese, or the musical ability of Paul Weller I'm sure we've all come out of restaurants, the pictures, or a gig saying that was crap. I'd be amazed if that opinion has ever been challenged on the basis of show me your culinary or film school "medals" :greengrin.

It seems footballs the only area where the default defense of so many in the game and in the stands is if you haven't played the game at a certain level you cant have an opinion on what your watching.

Fitba folk ken :greengrin

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 12:53 PM

Agree don't have a great issue with it to be honest.

Col L
06-04-2022, 01:09 PM

Fair enough, it wasn’t a major debate by any means last night, but people are entitled to voice their opinions on here now that it’s been brought up - it’s generated some views ranging from strong to indifferent.

Maloney politely answered the question, gave his own explanation and I just have to respect his answer. Packing the box and every man behind the ball is a trend for some coaches just now, although I don’t see it being particularly conducive to entertainment or attacking football myself.

Eyrie
06-04-2022, 07:05 PM
They have someone taking the corner - therefore they won't have one free in the box.

No?

Add that the attacking team has two players on halfway, plus their goalkeeper.

So if the defending team leaves one player up the park, that's still a big advantage with ten defenders against usually six attackers in the box and one outside.

green leaves
06-04-2022, 07:34 PM
What was your question?

Can I have more pies?

JimBHibees
06-04-2022, 08:56 PM
Can this be seen anywhere?