PDA

View Full Version : Top six permutations

Sir David Gray
02-04-2022, 05:33 PM
So with one game to go there's still 7 sides who have a chance of finishing in the top six.

4th - Dundee Utd - 40 pts -6 GD (Dundee at home)
5th - Motherwell - 39 pts -12 GD (Livingston away)
6th - Hibs - 38 pts -4 GD (Hearts away)
7th - Ross County - 37 pts -8 GD (Aberdeen away)
8th - Livingston - 37 pts -8 GD (Motherwell at home)
9th - Aberdeen - 36 pts -3 GD (Ross County at home)
10th - St Mirren - 36 pts -16 GD (Rangers at home)

I believe Dundee Utd will now make the top six and St Mirren are out of things.

That then leaves five teams aiming for the final two spots in the top six.

I think Motherwell will also make it by avoiding defeat to Livingston.

That then leaves three teams for one remaining spot - Hibs, Ross County and Aberdeen.

I personally think Aberdeen will beat Ross County which means we will need to beat Hearts to get into the top six.

My honest assessment is the top six will be;

1st - Celtic
2nd - Rangers
3rd - Hearts
4th - Dundee Utd
5th - Motherwell
6th - Aberdeen

Thoughts?

Stubbsy90+2
02-04-2022, 05:35 PM
A draw between RC and Aberdeen would be huge for us.

If one of them win then we’re up against it.

Tarrahib
02-04-2022, 05:36 PM
So with one game to go there's still 7 sides who have a chance of finishing in the top six.

That then leaves three teams for one remaining spot - Hibs, Ross County and Aberdeen.

I personally think Aberdeen will beat Ross County which means we will need to beat Hearts to get into the top six.

1st - Celtic
2nd - Rangers
3rd - Hearts
4th - Dundee Utd
5th - Motherwell
6th - Aberdeen

Thoughts?
If it stays like that there won’t be many money spinning games.

Ozyhibby
02-04-2022, 05:37 PM
Really need Aberdeen and Ross county to draw, Motherwell and Sevco to win. Anything else and I think we are toast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
02-04-2022, 05:42 PM
Motherwell or Livi are guaranteed to be top 6 according to Richard Gordon. They play each other - a draw and Motherwell have 40 points, a Livi win and they have 40.

GreenCastle
02-04-2022, 05:43 PM
Really need Aberdeen and Ross county to draw, Motherwell and Sevco to win. Anything else and I think we are toast

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would mean Hibs would need a draw or win. Edit - read the goal difference wrong.

I hope I’m wrong but when we got 1 point against Dundee, St Johnstone and Aberdeen the then bottom 3 we chucked away any chance of getting to top 6.

Today was a bonus game which we failed to win and the derby well somehow we now have an extra bonus but just increased the pressure on a fixture we struggle with let alone at the small Tynie 5 a side pitch.

GreenCastle
02-04-2022, 05:44 PM
Motherwell or Livi are guaranteed to be top 6 according to Richard Gordon. They play each other - a draw and Motherwell have 40 points, a Livi win and they have 40.

Yeah with their goal difference - we don’t score many goals.

It’s between Hibs, Ross County or Aberdeen for final position in top 6.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2022, 05:48 PM
That would mean Hibs would need a draw or win.

I hope I’m wrong but when we got 1 point against Dundee, St Johnstone and Aberdeen the then bottom 3 we chucked away any chance of getting to top 6.

Today was a bonus game which we failed to win and the derby well somehow we now have an extra bonus but just increased the pressure on a fixture we struggle with let alone at the small Tynie 5 a side pitch.

If Aberdeen and Ross County draw and Motherwell win and St Mirren don't beat Rangers then we'll be in the top six unless we lose by more than 4 goals at Tynecastle.

LewysGot2
02-04-2022, 05:50 PM
If Aberdeen and Ross County draw and Motherwell win and St Mirren don't beat Rangers then we'll be in the top six unless we lose by more than 4 goals at Tynecastle.

Yup, we could slide over the line in bizarre fashion

Alfred E Newman
02-04-2022, 05:51 PM

1st - Celtic
2nd - Rangers
3rd - Hearts
4th - Dundee Utd
5th - Motherwell
6th - Aberdeen

Thoughts?
That would keep the clowns on BBC Sportsound happy. In the car home from the game, Gordon and co spent the best part of 40 mins discussing the permutations that would get Aberdeen in the top six.
As long as Hibs don't win at Tyncastle everything will be fine. Pathetic stuff.

GreenCastle
02-04-2022, 05:52 PM

Sorry made a mistake and read the goal difference wrong.

Newry Hibs
02-04-2022, 06:32 PM

So 1 5 would be ok?

Sir David Gray
02-04-2022, 06:37 PM
So 1 5 would be ok?

Sure as long as there's no winner between Aberdeen and Ross County, Livingston don't beat Motherwell and St Mirren don't beat Rangers.

Keith_M
02-04-2022, 06:37 PM
I really can't see us beating Hearts so I think our fate is in the hands of the other sides.

I'd be amazed if we qualify for Europe this season and I find it quite sad to think that finishing in the top six is not even a certainty.

CallumHibs07
02-04-2022, 06:52 PM
1 win in 12 league games.

Not a chance we're getting top 6.

Sir David Gray
02-04-2022, 06:58 PM

Aberdeen and Motherwell are actually in very similar form to ourselves, the problem is they both have easier fixtures next weekend than we do.

Libby Hibby
02-04-2022, 07:01 PM

Aye but there is a chance

wookie70
02-04-2022, 07:20 PM

If Livi, Hibs and Ross County win then it would be Goal Difference between Livi and County surely. So many permutations and Hibs could get into the top six if we lose. Top six isn't exactly an every season thing for us and SM could achieve it despite not winning any of the last 6 games before the split. It is a bizarre league this year because the bulk of the teams are terrible and as soon as football breaks out anti football and shocking refereeing puts a stop to it

Sir David Gray
02-04-2022, 07:25 PM
If Livi, Hibs and Ross County win then it would be Goal Difference between Livi and County surely. So many permutations and Hibs could get into the top six if we lose. Top six isn't exactly an every season thing for us and SM could achieve it despite not winning any of the last 6 games before the split. It is a bizarre league this year because the bulk of the teams are terrible and as soon as football breaks out anti football and shocking refereeing puts a stop to it

Yes but the poster said Livingston OR Motherwell were guaranteed top 6, not both of them, which is true.

wookie70
02-04-2022, 07:59 PM
Yes but the poster said Livingston OR Motherwell were guaranteed top 6, not both of them, which is true. Is it. Motherwell get beat 39pts, Livi win 1-0 40 points -7, Hibs win 41pts, Ross County win 2-0 40 points -6, Dundee Utd win or draw, 4th or 5th place. Livi or Motherwell are not guaranteed top 6

IberianHibernian
02-04-2022, 08:15 PM
That would mean Hibs would need a draw or win. Edit - read the goal difference wrong.

Today was a bonus game which we failed to win and the derby well somehow we now have an extra bonus but just increased the pressure on a fixture we struggle with let alone at the small Tynie 5 a side pitch.Is our record at Tynecastle that bad in recent years ? Could easily hve won the drawn game this season . The 2 v 0 win at New Year in 19 / 20 was over after half an hour .

Sir David Gray
02-04-2022, 08:25 PM
Is it. Motherwell get beat 39pts, Livi win 1-0 40 points -7, Hibs win 41pts, Ross County win 2-0 40 points -6, Dundee Utd win or draw, 4th or 5th place. Livi or Motherwell are not guaranteed top 6

Apologies yeah talking nonsense.

ballengeich
02-04-2022, 08:30 PM
Is it. Motherwell get beat 39pts, Livi win 1-0 40 points -7, Hibs win 41pts, Ross County win 2-0 40 points -6, Dundee Utd win or draw, 4th or 5th place. Livi or Motherwell are not guaranteed top 6
You're right. It's the same if Livi and Motherwell draw. However, one of them is guaranteed top 6 if we don't beat Hearts.

Summary :-

If we win we're in the top 6.

If we draw we need Ross County v Aberdeen to be a draw.

If we lose we need Ross County v Aberdeen to be a draw plus both of Livingston and St Mirren not to win.

wookie70
02-04-2022, 08:36 PM
You're right. It's the same if Livi and Motherwell draw. However, one of them is guaranteed top 6 if we don't beat Hearts.

Summary :-

If we win we're in the top 6.

If we draw we need Ross County v Aberdeen to be a draw.

If we lose we need Ross County v Aberdeen to be a draw plus both of Livingston and St Mirren not to win.

The only permutation the players should care about is win and you are top 6 and going into the semi with Hearts on the back foot.

IberianHibernian
02-04-2022, 08:42 PM
If we win at Tynecastle we`re guaranteed top 6 and post split fixtures should be interesting as 5th would guarantee Europe even if we don`t win cup . Not sure if there`s any difference between 4th and 5th for us other than 60k ( ? ) per league position .
If we lose by more than 1 goal at Tynecastle , I can`t see how we can make top 6 .If we lose by 1 goal , Ross C and Aberdeen draw ,Livi don`t beat Motherwell and St Mirren don`t beat Rangers ( all very possible but unlikely for all 3 to happen ) then we`be 6th at split .
If we draw at Tynecastle it gets interesting . We`d finish above Motherwell if they lose at Livi , above Livi otherwise . We`d also finish above St Mirren even if they beat Rangers , but below winner of Aberdeen v RC with a draw favouring us .
Really needed 4 points from today and next week so have to go for the win next week .

JohnM1875
02-04-2022, 09:08 PM
Win at Tynie and we're fine.

FilipinoHibs
02-04-2022, 11:14 PM
The odds are in our favour. Top six gives us a shot at Europe. I sense next week will be very cagey. We will be set up not to loose with a plan B and C if we need to win or come from behind. Anyway another tense 90 minutes plus in store.

AFKA5814_Hibs
03-04-2022, 07:55 AM
Is our record at Tynecastle that bad in recent years ? Could easily hve won the drawn game this season . The 2 v 0 win at New Year in 19 / 20 was over after half an hour .

Haven't lost in our last 4 visits to Tynie. 2 wins and 2 0-0 draws.

Greenbeard
03-04-2022, 08:41 AM
The odds are in our favour. Top six gives us a shot at Europe. I sense next week will be very cagey. We will be set up not to loose with a plan B and C if we need to win or come from behind. Anyway another tense 90 minutes plus in store.
Nawthurno.
3/1 a Hibs win which is highly likely what we are going to need.
I've already accepted we are not going to make it, and am pinning my hopes on a semi win to get us into Europe.
If we do make the top six, then it's a Brucie Bonus.

Sir David Gray
03-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Nawthurno.
3/1 a Hibs win which is highly likely what we are going to need.
I've already accepted we are not going to make it, and am pinning my hopes on a semi win to get us into Europe.
If we do make the top six, then it's a Brucie Bonus.

Winning the semi final won't get us into Europe, we would need to go on and win the cup.

I agree that a draw probably won't be enough next week as I think Aberdeen will beat Ross County. We need to win to guarantee top six.

Greenbeard
03-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Winning the semi final won't get us into Europe, we would need to go on and win the cup.

I agree that a draw probably won't be enough next week as I think Aberdeen will beat Ross County. We need to win to guarantee top six.
Ah, changed then.