PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to league reorganisation

Keith_M
26-03-2022, 10:50 AM
...proposals made by Hearts in 2020?

Surely if it was for the greater good of Scottish Football, then they're still pushing for reconstruction?

:hmmm:

Lago
26-03-2022, 11:07 AM

Surely if it was for the greater good of Scottish Football, then they're still pushing for reconstruction?

:Hmmm:
Wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, it would still effectively be a 2 team league.

Stubbsy90+2
26-03-2022, 11:08 AM

:Hmmm:

:greengrin:

I bet hearts are pretty content with how the leagues are just now with them sitting in third.

It’s almost as if league reconstruction was only a good idea if it meant hearts didn’t get relegated… yes, relegated. Not demoted.

Keith_M
26-03-2022, 11:10 AM
:greengrin:

I bet hearts are pretty content with how the leagues are just now with them sitting in third.

It’s almost as if league reconstruction was only a good idea if it meant hearts didn’t get relegated… yes, relegated. Not demoted.

You're soooo cynical.

Carheenlea
26-03-2022, 11:15 AM
Hearts would 100% vote against any league construction now. Only really interested in themselves.

Steven79
26-03-2022, 11:20 AM
Hearts would 100% vote against any league construction now. Only really interested in themselves.

Sadly many clubs in Scotland are like that.

Both at the top and bottom...

Bostonhibby
26-03-2022, 11:30 AM
That estate agent guy who was advising them will still be taking legal advice and making sure everything he's saying is right.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Dr What If?
26-03-2022, 11:57 AM
I actually think the proposals made by Hearts back then were better than what we have now and would have been an improvement. Sadly (as pretty much everyone knows) the driver was not the greater good of Scottish football, it was a poor team sitting at the bottom of the league trying to save themselves from the drop. Given that, its kind of tarnished the proposal and probably one of the reason we haven't gone back to it.

I personally would have gone a step further and had just two divisions, one of 14 and another big one of 20-24 teams. Now we have the pyramid system with the Lowland and Highland leagues I don't think we need as many national divisions anymore. There is also an argument that the bigger the division, the more youth are given a chance to cut their teeth in the professional game.

One a slightly related subject, still can't believe Hearts were not punished for what they put Scottish football through at the beginning of a pandemic that has to date killed 165k people in the UK. Compare that with the SFA who have said they will wait for as long as it takes for Ukraine to get a team together to play a vital qualifying match. If Budge was in charge then Scotland would be demanding Ukraine be thrown out for not being able to make the original date......thank God she isn't.

OldEast
26-03-2022, 11:59 AM
I'm all for restructuring the leagues but would make the decision close season to happen in two seasons time. That way everyone has all to play for and know what's coming.

ancient hibee
26-03-2022, 12:15 PM
I actually think the proposals made by Hearts back then were better than what we have now and would have been an improvement. Sadly (as pretty much everyone knows) the driver was not the greater good of Scottish football, it was a poor team sitting at the bottom of the league trying to save themselves from the drop. Given that, its kind of tarnished the proposal and probably one of the reason we haven't gone back to it.

I personally would have gone a step further and had just two divisions, one of 14 and another big one of 20-24 teams. Now we have the pyramid system with the Lowland and Highland leagues I don't think we need as many national divisions anymore. There is also an argument that the bigger the division, the more youth are given a chance to cut their teeth in the professional game.

One a slightly related subject, still can't believe Hearts were not punished for what they put Scottish football through at the beginning of a pandemic that has to date killed 165k people in the UK. Compare that with the SFA who have said they will wait for as long as it takes for Ukraine to get a team together to play a vital qualifying match. If Budge was in charge then Scotland would be demanding Ukraine be thrown out for not being able to make the original date......thank God she isn't.
Don’t see 14 ever taking off. 13 home games not enough,26 far too many,play 3 times and an even stranger split than now.? Not for me.

Steven79
26-03-2022, 12:21 PM
Don’t see 14 ever taking off. 13 home games not enough,26 far too many,play 3 times and an even stranger split than now.? Not for me.

What about a split after home and away.

Split into a top 6 and a bottom 8?

ancient hibee
26-03-2022, 12:24 PM
What about a split after home and away.

Split into a top 6 and a bottom 8?

Perhaps. Would they play twice after a split.An 8 would have clubs with nothing to play for I think.

Steven79
26-03-2022, 12:27 PM
Perhaps. Would they play twice after a split.An 8 would have clubs with nothing to play for I think.

The teams at the bottom would have to avoid going down and the teams at the top could blood young Scottish players.

jgl07
26-03-2022, 12:57 PM
How about an 18-team top division playing team once at home and once away? Three teams to go down and three to come up each season using play-offs in some cases.

I’ll bet no country has ever tried that one!

It will never happen for the sake of losing one or two home matches against the bigots.

Scottish football has degenerated into a farce where the vast majority of televised matches are Sevco and Celtic away. When was the last time that a home match for either was televised when not playing each other? When was the last time an away match for either was not televised.

The other clubs are to blame here. When Rangers went bust, the league could have been restructured without the fear of an OF veto. The chance was missed so it’s going to be more if the same from now on.

brog
26-03-2022, 01:03 PM

Great post!

Keith_M
26-03-2022, 01:06 PM

The other clubs are to blame here. When Rangers went bust, the league could have been restructured without the fear of an OF veto. The chance was missed so it’s going to be more if the same from now on.

When Rangers went bust, we had the opportunity to remove the 11-1 voting rule, thereby ending the Rantic stranglehold.

Aberdeen, in their wisdom, ruined that for everybody by voting no.

Heisenberg
26-03-2022, 01:06 PM
How about an 18-team top division playing team once at home and once away? Three teams to go down and three to come up each season using play-offs in some cases.

I’ll bet no country has ever tried that one!

It will never happen for the sake of losing one or two home matches against the bigots.

Scottish football has degenerated into a farce where the vast majority of televised matches are Sevco and Celtic away. When was the last time that a home match for either was televised when not playing each other? When was the last time an away match for either was not televised.

The chance was sadly missed thanks to the Aberdeen owner thinking they could step up and take the Huns place for many years. Typical Aberdeen fan really, delusions of grandeur.

chippy
26-03-2022, 01:12 PM
There are several formats that could work re expansion of the top league. You could go 16 with splits down the league after 30 games, or 14 in a similar way after 26 games. If we assume that Rangers and Celtic will normally be 1 and 2, then the rationale for a different set up depends on your priorities:
1) If you’re happy for an asymmetric split such as now with 12 and happy to have any 2 clubs from 9 at potential risk of relegation with 31/38 games played then stay as we are. Those 9 clubs will continue to shoot each other whilst the old firm are free to play in their own 2 club league whilst rest are cannon fodder. Yes there are consolation prizes as in European places for those who survive the 9 club shoot out. Is this though the best way for Scottish clubs to nurture its own talent, develop our playing styles and become successful in Europe. It’s. A league with a top of 2 clubs , a middle of 1 club and a bottom of 9 clubs. Sure I can see some great cut throat matches coming up but is that the first priority if we want to improve Scottish football?
2) I’m in favour of a 16 or 18 team league similar to the Belgian Pro League. This includes play offs down the league for the Title, Europa Cup play offs and relegation. 18th is relegated and 17 goes into a play off with the club at the top of tier 2. It means 4 old firm games for TV deals and some interesting play offs for European places. Afaik points from the regular season carry forward to the play offs. If gives the league a middle but most clubs in the middle still have a crack at a European place via the additional play off games. Personally I think this would encourage more clubs to play younger players, likely to be Scottish too. It keeps the integrity of relegation/ promotion and the full pyramid.Belgium increased the league from 16 to 18 clubs this last 2 years but that may be because of Covid. It may well be that other conditions could be applied for promotion ie full time professional clubs only, reserve / B team, stadia, etc. Amazing that I recall this was the model Petrie wanted 20 odd years ago.

It will be interesting to see what Deloitte come up with in their report commissioned by Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen, Dundee United and Dundee. Wonder when it will appear?

JohnMcM
26-03-2022, 02:33 PM
I'm all for restructuring the leagues but would make the decision close season to happen in two seasons time. That way everyone has all to play for and know what's coming.

I can only agree with this if Hearts are guaranteed to be expelegated again.:greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
26-03-2022, 02:49 PM
16 clubs. 30 fixtures home and away. 8/8 split 14 fixtures home and away ... total 44 fixtures, that's only 6 more fixtures than now. Its still 2 less than clubs in the English championship play.

Two relegated automatically with 3rd bottom in a one off winner takes all play off with 3rd top in the championship at a suitable neutral venue. EG St Johnstone v Dundee at Easter Road or Tynecastle. Or Celtic v Rangers at Hampden :greengrin

Championship also with 16 clubs and a 1st division with 12 clubs, I'm sure they could find two contenders willing to make up the numbers.

Bin the league cup groups and give the clubs in European competition a bye until the later stages.

Bobs yer uncle :aok:

jacomo
26-03-2022, 03:57 PM

They weren’t punished for it but they weren’t rewarded either.

That’s just their place in the Scottish football order.

Waxy
26-03-2022, 04:38 PM

And why is Tom English not still banging on about it every day?