PDA

View Full Version : Scotland 21s - Players and Turkey game

Unseen work
25-03-2022, 09:12 PM
Watched the second half of the Scotland V Turkey game tonight and got to admit I was shocked by how dominant Turkey were and they looked levels above us in every possible aspect.

Doig was good although I heard first half he had a bit of a shocker and Ramsay from Aberdeen from what I saw was absolutely shocking. Add the two centre halves Mayo (Rangers) and Welsh (Celtic), that’s a back 4 that’s highly rated and a couple of them have been quoted upto 4 million to get them.

Campbell and Barron (Aberdeen) both came on at half time and the latter is getting rave reviews since joining the first team but couldn’t really get the desired effect on the game. Campbell was his normal self, full of energy and winning the ball back, odd flash of good on the ball and the odd moment of nervousness.

Do we just overhype our younger players?

Are our better younger players just going straight into the first team like Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson etc where as Turkey don’t promote them as quick?

If we as a club are looking to sign some promising younger players then based on tonight the Turkish market is 100% one we should look at.

Kerem Kesgin was brilliant in the time he was on the park in a central role behind the striker and the left winger Baris Yilmaz (recently signed for Galatasary) ripped Ramsay apart.

The centre half Furkan Bayir really Impressed me though and if we lose Porteous he’s one I’d like to see us go for (if tonight is anything to go by), he has a Van Dijk sort of presence about him and very comfortable on the ball.

brog
25-03-2022, 09:16 PM
Good post, thanks. I just continue to be pissed off with this love affair with Tiny. Crowds for U 21 games are regularly less than 1000 and they're playing on the smallest pitch in Scotland. Why do Hearts get to host all these games?

Carheenlea
25-03-2022, 09:23 PM
Good post, thanks. I just continue to be pissed off with this love affair with Tiny. Crowds for U 21 games are regularly less than 1000 and they're playing on the smallest pitch in Scotland. Why do Hearts get to host all these games?

Establishment love in.

Highwayman
26-03-2022, 09:08 AM
Very depressing watching the standard of the Scotland Under 21 team.

Turkey were miles ahead of them in both ability and technique and Turkey are behind both Belgium and Denmark in the group.

Can now see why Aaron Hickey didn’t want to waste his time playing for them.His refusal to play for them doesn’t seem to have stopped Steve Clarke picking him for the senior squad.

Surprised that Glenn Middleton only recently turned 22.He seems to have been playing for the Under 21s for the many many years.Can’t see him making the senior squad.

SChibs
26-03-2022, 09:35 AM

I wonder if it's a case of Hibs and maybe Abderdeen knocking back these games to protect the pitch. Hearts have their new hybrid pitch which will stand up better from more games played on it.

JimBHibees
26-03-2022, 09:38 AM

Yep it is bollox is it even a requisite size of pitch. No doubt proximity to Oriam but not a good look for one team to be apparently getting favours and don't even mention the bog standard centre half Halkett getting into the Scotland squad and Naismith now a Scotland coach. Pathetic imo.

JimBHibees
26-03-2022, 09:41 AM

Turkey were miles ahead of them in both ability and technique and Turkey are behind both Belgium and Denmark in the group.

Can now see why Aaron Hickey didn’t want to waste his time playing for them.His refusal to play for them doesn’t seem to have stopped Steve Clarke picking him for the senior squad.

Surprised that Glenn Middleton only recently turned 22.He seems to have been playing for the Under 21s for the many many years.Can’t see him making the senior squad.

Didn't see last nights game but watched the game in Turkey and Scotland probably should have won over there. Surprised there appears to have been such a gap. Another thing may be the smaller pitch will make it more of a tecchical game which may not suit our squad as much as the Turks.

brog
26-03-2022, 02:07 PM
I wonder if it's a case of Hibs and maybe Abderdeen knocking back these games to protect the pitch. Hearts have their new hybrid pitch which will stand up better from more games played on it.

It's been happening for years, well before the hybrid pitch. I'm not even sure what the process is to get allocated these games.

Steven79
26-03-2022, 02:19 PM
Yep it is bollox is it even a requisite size of pitch. No doubt proximity to Oriam but not a good look for one team to be apparently getting favours and don't even mention the bog standard centre half Halkett getting into the Scotland squad and Naismith now a Scotland coach. Pathetic imo.

Didn't Dundee United get two U21 games at the end of last year?

bod
26-03-2022, 02:33 PM
Werent previous groups games held at Falkirk & St Mirrens grounds ?

Onceinawhile
26-03-2022, 02:56 PM
To be fair to the under 21s, their best centre mid, left back and right back were playing at hampden the night before.

Lago
26-03-2022, 04:40 PM

This, spot on.

jingler1954
26-03-2022, 07:17 PM
I actually went to the piggery to watch the game and I couldn't believe how average Scotland looked. I was impressed with Turkey's pressing game very fast to close Scotland down.

ahibby
26-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Watched the second half of the Scotland V Turkey game tonight and got to admit I was shocked by how dominant Turkey were and they looked levels above us in every possible aspect.

Doig was good although I heard first half he had a bit of a shocker and Ramsay from Aberdeen from what I saw was absolutely shocking. Add the two centre halves Mayo (Rangers) and Welsh (Celtic), that’s a back 4 that’s highly rated and a couple of them have been quoted upto 4 million to get them.

Campbell and Barron (Aberdeen) both came on at half time and the latter is getting rave reviews since joining the first team but couldn’t really get the desired effect on the game. Campbell was his normal self, full of energy and winning the ball back, odd flash of good on the ball and the odd moment of nervousness.

Do we just overhype our younger players?

Are our better younger players just going straight into the first team like Gilmour, Hickey, Patterson etc where as Turkey don’t promote them as quick?

If we as a club are looking to sign some promising younger players then based on tonight the Turkish market is 100% one we should look at.

Kerem Kesgin was brilliant in the time he was on the park in a central role behind the striker and the left winger Baris Yilmaz (recently signed for Galatasary) ripped Ramsay apart.

The centre half Furkan Bayir really Impressed me though and if we lose Porteous he’s one I’d like to see us go for (if tonight is anything to go by), he has a Van Dijk sort of presence about him and very comfortable on the ball.

Yeo we have been crying out for A Furkan Bayir for a while

JimBHibees
27-03-2022, 08:09 AM
To be fair to the under 21s, their best centre mid, left back and right back were playing at hampden the night before.

Which players were they Patterson Gilmour and Hickey? Pretty sure none of them have played for a while with u 21s. Don't think they played in the reverse fixture which was a game Scotland probably should have won.

Stubbsy90+2
27-03-2022, 01:14 PM
From what I seen of this game Scotland looked terrible.

Would have expected better with a few of them playing at a decent level.

Musselbound
27-03-2022, 03:53 PM
It was certainly a poor performance from Scotland who are struggling in the group, although it does look quite tough.

Thought Doig did quite well going forward and had a good effort with a header. Ramsay was very poor. He appeared to have been targeted by the Turkish attack who pounced on him quickly whenever he got the ball.

As has been mentioned, we seem to be doing OK with the likes of Gilmour, Paterson and Hickey. These 3 would clearly make the U21s a lot better but have other fish to fry.

Hamish
29-03-2022, 10:40 AM
Doig and Campbell both start for the 21s against Kazakhstan.
KO 12 noon, appears to be live on BBC Scotland online.

andrew70
29-03-2022, 11:11 AM
Doig and Campbell both start for the 21s against Kazakhstan.
KO 12 noon, appears to be live on BBC Scotland online.

Anyone got their stream working?

JimBHibees
29-03-2022, 11:11 AM

No :greengrin

Brightside
29-03-2022, 11:14 AM

Whats the link? They are great are totally hiding it away somewhere!

JimBHibees
29-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Whats the link? They are great are totally hiding it away somewhere!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/60899063

Still not working BBC have very little decent sport as it is and they can't even show what they are able to.

Hamish
29-03-2022, 11:31 AM
'Sorry for the break in transmission'

Scotland 1 - 0 up

JimBHibees
29-03-2022, 11:34 AM
'Sorry for the break in transmission'

Scotland 1 - 0 up

Yep shambles. Boy that can fix it no doubt popped out for lunch :greengrin

Onceinawhile
29-03-2022, 12:26 PM
Now 2-0 Scotland.

Rain is hammering it down though.

Oscar T Grouch
29-03-2022, 12:38 PM
1-2 Now, Kazakhstan score a pen

JimBHibees
29-03-2022, 12:41 PM
Conditions are ridiculous now a hailstorm and some of the floodlights going out. :greengrin

Easy to get an injury in this.

Onceinawhile
29-03-2022, 12:53 PM
2-2 in the last minute of added time.

Keeper fumbles a relatively easy header and it's tapped in - from a free kick he gave away needlessly rushing out his box.

Even worse that we had the ball in the corner on 90+3.

JimBHibees
29-03-2022, 02:36 PM
2-2 in the last minute of added time.

Keeper fumbles a relatively easy header and it's tapped in - from a free kick he gave away needlessly rushing out his box.

Even worse that we had the ball in the corner on 90+3.

Yep even allowing for the conditions he has a mare. Needlessly charging out and taking out their player when defenders had it covered, fumbles a weak header out to striker. Actually think the guy that scored was offside but what an awful goal to lose. Thought Josh Campbell did well in the second half.

BoltonHibee
29-03-2022, 05:51 PM
On a brighter note, U17’s look like they will qualify for the Euros. Currently leading Georgia 5-1 at moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk