PDA

View Full Version : Anyone old enough to remember the early 70s ?

hibeg
22-03-2022, 04:01 PM
I know this will exclude loads of posters !!

Best time to be a Hibee. We could beat anyone on our day, including the almost invincible Celtic from the mid 60s /early 70s
European nights, Lisbon, Juventus Liverpool, Leeds, !!
Hammered the Jambos almost every time. 3-O first ever Premier League match was a favourite 😀😀
Convinced we would have won the CWC if we got past Split

Would love to see similar again but ain’t going to happen !
Tough luck anyone under 60 😂😂

hhibs
22-03-2022, 04:06 PM

Best time to be a Hibee. We could beat anyone on our day, including the almost invincible Celtic from the mid 60s /early 70s
Hammered the Jambos almost every time. 3-O first ever Premier League match was a favourite 😀😀

Yes indeed .

bigwheel
22-03-2022, 04:11 PM
Not the 60s. But was lucky enough as a youngster to do the early 70s as my football indoctrination..split, Lisbon, Rosenberg, Liverpool , Juve, Leeds etc all part of my early European experiences. Turnbull’s team as my heroes.

Incredible football ..went into every season at that time, hoping to win the league and having a decent chance .

hibeg
22-03-2022, 04:18 PM
Not the 60s. But was lucky enough as a youngster to do the early 70s as my football indoctrination..split, Lisbon, Rosenberg, Liverpool , Juve, Leeds etc all part of my early European experiences. Turnbull’s team as my heroes.

Incredible football ..went into every season at that time, hoping to win the league and having a decent chance .

Correct. What a difference a few decades make !
We would have beaten Man C and Chelsea over 2 legs. Because they were *****
Now , I’m not sure if we could beat out Under 21s

gbhibby
22-03-2022, 04:30 PM
My first European game was Napoli thought European football was a given every season. We expected to beat any European team and English teams as well. In the CWC my dad and his workmates were looking at all options on how to get to Greece for the final. Oh for a return to those days.

HoboHarry
22-03-2022, 04:31 PM
I was young enough to be thrilled at us signing Joe Harper :)

S4uzee
22-03-2022, 04:36 PM
For those that did witness those days and Hibs playing against those giants, how does that compare to watching us now as we will unlikely reach those levels anytime soon?

kaimendhibs
22-03-2022, 04:38 PM
Brilliant days. Sadly I never see us reaching those heights again.

Earlydelivery
22-03-2022, 04:43 PM
Greatest days of my life ( apart from 2016 ) following Hibs .. just a bit unlucky that fabulous Celtic side where on the go .. we could hardly get the better of them when it mattered
only the league cup was scant reward for a fabulous side .

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 04:50 PM
Count me in, we were spectacular at times, set a target like 7 goals to go top and it happened, we would spend most of the week after the latest brilliant performance wondering how, as youngsters we'd get to the next ground and how we could afford to get in.
Live in hope but the system is heavily rigged against it happening again.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

bigwheel
22-03-2022, 04:54 PM
The days of “lift overs”…..

A Hi-Bee
22-03-2022, 04:56 PM

Great times and games for sure, the 5 years from 1965 to 1970 produced some magic games and players as well. Goal-scorers such as Neil Martin, Colin Stein, Peter Cormack, Joe McBride Sr, Alan Gordon, Jim O'Rourke, Joe harper, they all scored goals for fun, many of them while at Easter Rd. (Joe Baker was just a wee bit before this time)
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

May21/05/16
22-03-2022, 05:00 PM
They were great times the games against Leeds were brilliant the best team I seen at easter road was juventus I can't remember the winger for them but he was a fabulous player

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 05:03 PM
They were great times the games against Leeds were brilliant the best team I seen at easter road was juventus I can't remember the winger for them but he was a fabulous player

Sent from my SM-A908B using TapatalkWe were winning when they brought the balding, ageing Altafini on[emoji24][emoji24]

Earlydelivery
22-03-2022, 05:04 PM

Altofini

bigwheel
22-03-2022, 05:08 PM
Think it’s hard for those who didn’t witness the team to understand the level of quality we had st the time …we weren’t only as good as anything in Scotland . We could compete with teams down south and across Europe too. Brownlie was as good a right back as anyone in the UK…Stanton as good a midfielder as anyone in the UK, Cropley too ..then you add O’Rourke, Gordon , Edwards and Duncan. Special special players ….

May21/05/16
22-03-2022, 05:08 PM
We were winning when they brought the balding, ageing Altafini on[emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using TapatalkWhat a player he was that night

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 05:13 PM
What a player he was that night

Sent from my SM-A908B using TapatalkWas there,in a big crowd on the night, we did well to get in front but I remember thinking it would be a struggle to stay ahead, so it proved. Followed Altafini's story a wee bit. What a player.

eastterrace
22-03-2022, 05:16 PM
Great times back then to be a HIBBIE. Brilliant attacking football and great European nights. We also brought thru great young players and that was without a training centre.

May21/05/16
22-03-2022, 05:25 PM
Was there,in a big crowd on the night, we did well to get in front but I remember thinking it would be a struggle to stay ahead, so it proved. Followed Altafini's story a wee bit. What a player.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using TapatalkYes as I said before they were a great Juventus but the tornados were a great team also they deserved to win a lot more than they did but things just conspired against us I'm thinking about brownlie broken leg and Edward's getting a long suspension from the sfa onion in his prime was better than mcgrain and pat was just the gest player I seen in a hibs top

gbhibby
22-03-2022, 05:28 PM
We were winning when they brought the balding, ageing Altafini on[emoji24][emoji24]

He probably was still hurting from the hammering we gave to his Napoli team

zitelli62
22-03-2022, 05:36 PM
European football every season a given get a lift over to get in and queues all the way down st claire Street I won't see that again in my life.

greenginger
22-03-2022, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I can remember the early 70’s. :thumbsup:

Trouble is , I can remember the early 60 ‘s too, but that’s just an age thing. :greengrin

ancient hibee
22-03-2022, 05:41 PM

Trouble is , I can remember the early 60 ‘s too, but that’s just an age thing. :greengrin

I raise you and play my mid 50s card.:greengrin

Norrieg
22-03-2022, 05:46 PM
I raise you and play my mid 50s card.:greengrin

Me too.:not worth:not worth:not worth

hibeg
22-03-2022, 05:52 PM
I was young enough to be thrilled at us signing Joe Harper :)

Me too. Went to his debut at Falkirk. 0-0 if I recall.
Unlike many, I thought he was great with Hibs. Scored 50 odd goals in 2 seasons !

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 05:52 PM
He probably was still hurting from the hammering we gave to his Napoli team[emoji23]got the programme with him in it.

pollution
22-03-2022, 05:58 PM

Isn't one's recollections of events fascinating: this Juventus game reminds me of the worst ever week in Hibs' history, defense wise.

We conceded 15 goals in three games in seven days but most of us have forgotten that.

The song was " What's the time ? Fifteen past MacArthur ". These games were at the end of a period of great football, but for that is said and done

we never won the Scottish Cup.

That is why 2016 means so much to me !

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 05:59 PM
Yes as I said before they were a great Juventus but the tornados were a great team also they deserved to win a lot more than they did but things just conspired against us I'm thinking about brownlie broken leg and Edward's getting a long suspension from the sfa onion in his prime was better than mcgrain and pat was just the gest player I seen in a hibs top

Sent from my SM-A908B using TapatalkYep, we are as one, funnily enough this brought to mind a European game where we beat Ujpest Dozsa 4-2 at ER, they were a fantastic team and we did really well to win but it didnt bode well for the 2nd leg and we did lose.
We were at that level regularly and had some great European nights, I remember beating an exceptional liverpool team 1-0 at ER, Harper sliding in for the only goal.

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 06:00 PM
Isn't one's recollections of events fascinating: this Juventus game reminds me of the worst ever week in Hibs' history, defense wise.

We conceded 15 goals in three games in seven days but most of us have forgotten that.

The song was " What's the time ? Fifteen past MacArthur ". These games were at the end of a period of great football, but for that is said and done

That is why 2016 means so much to me !Definitely never forgot, 8-2 to juventus over 2 legs was the least of it!

Iggy Pope
22-03-2022, 06:03 PM
Yep, we are as one, funnily enough this brought to mind a European game where we beat Ujpest Dozsa 4-2 at ER, they were a fantastic team and we did really well to win but it didnt bode well for the 2nd leg and we did lose.
We were at that level regularly and had some great European nights, I remember beating an exceptional liverpool team 1-0 at ER, Harper sliding in for the only goal.

Hadjuk Split by the way….

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:05 PM
Yep, we are as one, funnily enough this brought to mind a European game where we beat Ujpest Dozsa 4-2 at ER, they were a fantastic team and we did really well to win but it didnt bode well for the 2nd leg and we did lose.

Uppest Dozsa 😂

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 06:06 PM
Hadjuk Split by the way….Bollox, you're right of course, if I was at home doing this rather than sitting in the pub I'd be checking my books before posting[emoji16]

Bostonhibby
22-03-2022, 06:08 PM
Uppest Dozsa [emoji23]Mair like Downest than Uppest, but I take your point.

DIXIHIBS
22-03-2022, 06:10 PM
Joe baker running out at ER in his white boots was still a favourite of mine as a young hibee. Against aberdeen i think.

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:11 PM
Mair like Downest than Uppest, but I take your point.

😂. We would have beat them if we played them. They peaked against Leeds in the 60 s

May21/05/16
22-03-2022, 06:11 PM

Sent from my SM-A750FN using TapatalkI was at both games against Liverpool and if brownlie hadn't missed a penalty hibs would have put them out I think Liverpool went on to win the trophy that year

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:16 PM
I was at both games against Liverpool and if brownlie hadn't missed a penalty hibs would have put them out I think Liverpool went on to win the trophy that year

😂 very true. Younger Hibees May be reading this thinking what a load of bollox 🤣🤣

Iggy Pope
22-03-2022, 06:17 PM
Great thread. My first game was Cowdenbeath with my old man Jan 1971 and I never looked back.
He always got us Centre Stand tickets for the big European games and my excitement at these games and big names was off the scale. By the age of 10 I could name the Tornadoes XI backwards. A Hibs side that was of course packed with boyhood heroes, Paddy especially, but I adored all of them, in fact I’m still in awe of them whenever lucky enough to meet any of them. And I’ve met all of them, those present and those passed.
The ‘era’ didn’t last long enough and same went for my dad attending. I was going along under my own steam and started travelling with Hawkhill branch in 1976. The last game I was at with him was the Stoke City friendly, Gareth Crooks, Gordon Banks and his one eye. My dad had given up on it and had seen so much better but he’d created a monster.
Things had changed a bit since the days of Sporting, Besa and Hadjuk, Leeds, Liverpool and the rest but once your in, you’re in.

Bobo
22-03-2022, 06:18 PM

The 70's were a great time for following Hibs, we may have still had our disappointments but in the main the football was great to watch with a team full of attacking players who could more than hold their own at home and in Europe.

If it hadn't been for a very good and dominant Celtic team, at that time, the Tornadoes could have possibly emulated the glories of their predecessors the Famous Five?

The 1st Premier League Edinburgh Derby was 1-0 with Harper scoring a raker from 25 yards. :flag:

Iggy Pope
22-03-2022, 06:20 PM
Uppest Dozsa 😂

Away leg programme is as rare as rocking horse **** you not got one? :greengrin

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:22 PM
The 70's were a great time for following Hibs, we may have still had our disappointments but in the main the football was great to watch with a team full of attacking players who could more than hold their own at home and in Europe.

If it hadn't been for a very good and dominant Celtic team, at that time, the Tornadoes could have possibly emulated the glories of their predecessors the Famous Five?

The 1st Premier League Edinburgh Derby was 1-0 with Harper scoring a raker from 25 yards. :flag:

1-0 first Derby.? Not checked but thought it was 3 -0. Bobby Smith scoring one of them 🤔

Ray_
22-03-2022, 06:23 PM

Our lack of a squad had already impacted Hibs in the second half of the 72/3 season, so no chance of winning that trophy with our second half of season form, where the derby win saw us top the league and we ended up third. This all started on the sixth of january, well before our encounter with Split, in our 1-0 win against East Fife, that saw Onions double leg brake & Mickey's booking and subsequent two month suspension which left us seriously depleted.

After East Fife, our next match was at Tannadice, where three month earlier we put five past them, while completely dominating the league Cup tie, Des Bremner, newly signed from a Highland league side a couple of months earlier, replaced Onion and we lost the game and ended up the season with an almost unrecognisable team, that was beaten 0-3 by Celtic in our last home game that season.

Our best post New Year performance, was against Rangers in the Scottish cup replay at Easter Road, where, with Mickey free from suspension as it only applied to league matches, we absolutely battered them, but with McCloy playing the game of his life and a winner that was five yards offside, we lost the tie.

Iggy Pope
22-03-2022, 06:24 PM
1-0 first Derby.? Not checked but thought it was 3 -0. Bobby Smith scoring one of them 🤔

Ist Premier League Derby after reconstruction was definitely a 1-0 Harper 25 yarder at ER.

BILLYHIBS
22-03-2022, 06:24 PM
A bygone era

Stadiums were a throwback to the 1920’s

Players got paid slightly more than the working man

Hibs players were treated like genuine working class heroes and everyone looked up to them

In the days before social media it was taken as a given even although players were all different shapes and sizes that they were skilful footballers

After all they played for HIBS

The Big European nights really caught the public’s imagination the crowds would come and it would be a chance for the players to test their skills away from the two big Divisions in Scotland

Hibs would adopt the high press against those teams long before the high press had even been invented often taking the continentals unawares with the pace intensity and high tempo of our game

The only real change I remember was Eddie Turnbull Watching the Tornadoes was like watching a game of football chess unfold before your eyes If one move broke down they would simply try again Herriot always rolled the ball out and we would play our wee triangles up the park with usually deadly consequences for the opposition

Everyone stuck to the system and every man Jack new his role in the system

If things still werenae working he would swap Duncan and Edwards over to different wings ( Sporting Lisbon)

Nothing could beat the atmosphere of the Big European nights under the drench lighting at Easter Road

I can still smell the baccy stale beer and the stench of pish coming out of the bogs

I would pay what ever amount HIBS wanted to watch the Tornadoes again at their height tomorrow in a heartbeat

A total joy to watch and without a doubt we should have won more

GGTTH

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:27 PM
Away leg programme is as rare as rocking horse **** you not got one? :greengrin

I’ve got 2 Iggy, waiting for a swap v Keflavik 😂

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:29 PM
Ist Premier League Derby after reconstruction was definitely a 1-0 Harper 25 yarder at ER.

I can remember the goal, thought we beat hem 3-o though

Bobo
22-03-2022, 06:29 PM

The 3-0 game was at New Year, the Harper game was the first and took place in August.

May21/05/16
22-03-2022, 06:30 PM
A bygone era

Hibs players were treated like genuine working class heroes and everyone looked up to them

In the days before social media it was taken as a given even although players were all different shapes and sizes that they were skilful footballers

The Big European nights really caught the public’s imagination the crowds would come and it would be a chance for the players to test their skills away from the two big Divisions in Scotland

Hibs would adopt the high press against those teams long before the high press had even been invented often taking the continentals unawares with the pace intensity and high tempo of our game

The only real change I remember was Eddie Turnbull Watching the Tornadoes was like watching a game of football chess unfold before your eyes If one move broke down they would simply try again Herriot always rolled the ball out and we would play our wee triangles up the park with usually deadly consequences for the opposition

If things still werenae working he would swap Duncan and Edwards over to different wings ( Sporting Lisbon)

Nothing could beat the atmosphere of the Big European nights under the drench lighting at Easter Road

I can still smell the baccy stale beer and the stench of pish coming out of the bogs

I would pay what ever amount HIBS wanted to watch the Tornadoes again at their height tomorrow in a heartbeat

GGTTH[emoji106]

WoreTheGreen
22-03-2022, 06:33 PM
I used to watch us train at hawk hill in the summer holidays and was at Leeds and Liverpool games. I used to climb over now I try
to climb out

hibeg
22-03-2022, 06:33 PM
The 3-0 game was at New Year, the Harper game was the first and took place in August.
👍👍 we beat them so often Bobo that I can’t remember the sequence 😂

scm70nyd1973
22-03-2022, 06:34 PM

Great for me as a teenager growing up in Glasgow during the early 70s as we were a team to be feared and I had oodles of people to slag off on many occasions - heehaw Jambos to wind up though.

72/73 was the epic year and if JB hadn’t fractured his leg and Alex Edwards hadn’t got an absolutely ludicrous ban I am certain we would have won the league - I was a sad we Hibby to be at ER on that last game of the season.

Late 70s weren’t so flash though.

Bobo
22-03-2022, 06:36 PM
👍👍 we beat them so often Bobo that I can’t remember the sequence 😂

🤣 true 👍🏻, oh for a return to those days 🤞🏻

Lago
22-03-2022, 06:40 PM
Brilliant days. Sadly I never see us reaching those heights again.
Started going to ER in 1971,great days, sad but steady decline since the end of the 70s, mind you that applies to most of Scottish football in general.

May21/05/16
22-03-2022, 06:41 PM
Those were brilliant times for me as my auld man and his friends went to every home and away games sadly none of them are with us anymore the memories I have of lift overs and doubling up at turnstiles while they sneaked in alcohol in my jacket pockets great time it was following hibs

Iggy Pope
22-03-2022, 06:41 PM
I’ve got 2 Iggy, waiting for a swap v Keflavik 😂

:greengrin

scm70nyd1973
22-03-2022, 06:43 PM

Great for me as a teenager growing up in Glasgow during the early 70s as we were a team to be feared and I had oodles of people to slag off on many occasions - heehaw Jambos to wind up though.

72/73 was the epic year and if JB hadn’t fractured his leg and Alex Edwards hadn’t got an absolutely ludicrous ban I am certain we would have won the league - I was a sad we Hibby to be at ER on that last game of the season.

Late 70s weren’t so flash though.

Hiber-nation
22-03-2022, 06:59 PM
Brilliant thread.

All the great games, fantastic football and legendary players have been mentioned already but I thought I'd add that from 1972-73 to 74-75 we scored 218 league goals in 102 games. And a hell of a lot of these goals were works of art, whether it be Mickey jinking past his man and chipping it straight to Alan Gordon's napper then a header either into the net or down for O'Rourke to finish, Cropley raking in a 25 yarder, Arthur charging down the wing to the cry of "open the gates!" and firing a cross in, Paddy strolling it in midfield and getting on the end of another majestic Edwards delivery etc etc. Not forgetting the occasional John Brownlie solo effort.

Can't really do it justice , it was just a magic time.

Alfred E Newman
22-03-2022, 07:20 PM

Yes, me too but unfortunately I now can’t remember where I put my glesses. :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
22-03-2022, 07:22 PM
Yes, me too but unfortunately I now can’t remember where I put my glesses. :greengrin

Top off your heid

leith lynx
22-03-2022, 07:39 PM
Great thread. My first game was Cowdenbeath with my old man Jan 1971 and I never looked back.
He always got us Centre Stand tickets for the big European games and my excitement at these games and big names was off the scale. By the age of 10 I could name the Tornadoes XI backwards. A Hibs side that was of course packed with boyhood heroes, Paddy especially, but I adored all of them, in fact I’m still in awe of them whenever lucky enough to meet any of them. And I’ve met all of them, those present and those passed.
The ‘era’ didn’t last long enough and same went for my dad attending. I was going along under my own steam and started travelling with Hawkhill branch in 1976. The last game I was at with him was the Stoke City friendly, Gareth Crooks, Gordon Banks and his one eye. My dad had given up on it and had seen so much better but he’d created a monster.
Things had changed a bit since the days of Sporting, Besa and Hadjuk, Leeds, Liverpool and the rest but once your in, you’re in.
Those were the days my friend, loved every moment of the Turnbull era. I attended the school next door to the ground 1973/4, when we could we used to hang around the school playground near the players entrance to see the players coming and going from training, all the players were great with us especially King Pat and Arthur Duncan, the afternoon before the Juventus game, the Italian journalists "interviewing" us kids before the game, also remember being inside the school when we played Rangers on a Wednesday afternoon, due to the power cuts at that time. We also witnessed Joe Harper arriving to sign, excitement was high as Tom Hart told us that he would take us to the next level, alas, as we all know it was the beginning of an end of a golden time, thankfull I was there though!

Smiggy 7-0
22-03-2022, 07:52 PM
Joe baker running out at ER in his white boots was still a favourite of mine as a young hibee. Against aberdeen i think.
Yip I can still remember that day 2-1 and he scored, my first game my dear old dad took me to. From then on I started going regularly everywhere to see the Tornadoes, what a time, what a team. Feared nobody.
Great thread by the way, got me thinking of those days and the many characters I met and shared many a pint with.

Billy McKirdy
22-03-2022, 08:09 PM
Just missed out on that time, end of the Turnbull years for me, 1977 first season I started going to games, two euro nights against Norkoppjng and an exit against Strasbourg in the second round followed the next season with a three game Scottish cup final against Rangers, after all that it rapidly went downhill with relegation in 1980 but at least I seen Georgie Best turn out for us.

silverhibee
22-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Great thread from the old team :thumbsup: I remember bits and pieces from my dad taking me to games but my memory not as good as some on this thread.

:top marks :flag:

gbhibby
22-03-2022, 08:16 PM
We beat Rangers in semi finals in those days as well.😁

hibeg
22-03-2022, 08:24 PM
Just missed out on that time, end of the Turnbull years for me, 1977 first season I’d started going to games, two euro nights against Norkoppjng and an exit against Strasbourg in the second round followed the next season with a three game Scottish cup final against Rangers, after all that it rapidly went downhill with relegation in 1980 but at least I seen Georgie Best turn out for us.

Unlucky Billy 😂
To me it all ended 1976/7 season. Think we finished second or third in 75/6 and then went downhill rapidly!!

hibsfan7
22-03-2022, 08:32 PM
what a team the season when we scored 8,7 twice 6,5 what aseason we had then

some brilliant football

IberianHibernian
22-03-2022, 08:38 PM
Fantastic thread . So many memories . There were some great games in late 60s like Naples 5 v 0 and even in season 70 / 71 when we finished about 13th in league we had great games like beating Aberdeen on Joe Baker`s return ( a huge result at the time ) and first tie v Liverpool . Players like Arthur Duncan and Schaedler were already great players for us before Turnbull arrived as well as King Paddy and Jimmy O`Rourke of course .
Obviously an age thing too though since there have been many threads here with folk reminiscing about the old East from the 80s onwards . When we lost on penalties to Leeds in 70s I remember Leeds played a near reserve team which was maybe an early sign of what was to come in following decades .

IberianHibernian
22-03-2022, 08:46 PM
Just missed out on that time, end of the Turnbull years for me, 1977 first season I started going to games, two euro nights against Norkoppjng and an exit against Strasbourg in the second round followed the next season with a three game Scottish cup final against Rangers, after all that it rapidly went downhill with relegation in 1980 but at least I seen Georgie Best turn out for us.Our decline started in mid 70s . Norrkoping games were September 1978 and we were playing with about 5 centre halves ( though we were top of the leage after a Willie Temperley goal gave us a win at Parkhead ) - results still good compared with teams like Hearts but no longer great to watch . We lost to Arbroath in SC in about 1976 for example . For me golden era would be 1970 to 1975 so not just a Turnbull thing .

hibeg
22-03-2022, 09:43 PM
Our decline started in mid 70s . Norrkoping games were September 1978 and we were playing with about 5 centre halves ( though we were top of the leage after a Willie Temperley goal gave us a win at Parkhead ) - results still good compared with teams like Hearts but no longer great to watch . We lost to Arbroath in SC in about 1976 for example . For me golden era would be 1970 to 1975 so not just a Turnbull thing .

Like I said 3 posts above. 76/7 it all started to go wrong, can’t remember where we finished in the league, probably still above the Jambos though 🤣
Arbroath was a real scunner
I remember the crowds dropped at an alarming rate, late 70s end of season v Partick, circa 1500 !

The Harp
22-03-2022, 11:45 PM
The brand of football the team played for most of the 70s was super. I was 23 at the start of the 70s and had witnessed good and bad times through the late 50s and the 60s. I remember guys leaving ER in the 70s, disappointed because we had only won 1-0 or 2-0. We expected to be hammering teams back then - how times have changed.
The European games under the lights were always special - the atmosphere at these games, when the ground was packed, was truly amazing. I feel sorry for the young Hibs fans who haven't seen the club perform to the same high standards as we were treated to.

Dalkeith Boy
23-03-2022, 01:27 AM

Absolutely....from 1964 thru 1981 when I emigrated to Canada. Some incredible games and European nights. Wilson, Duncan, Davis, Stanton, McNamee, Baxter, Cormack, Quinn, Scott, O'Rourke and Stevenson......what a team!!! When I went along to EasterRoad there was never a thought about losing, only how many goals would we score and win by!!

Earlydelivery
23-03-2022, 04:36 AM
Our lack of a squad had already impacted Hibs in the second half of the 72/3 season, so no chance of winning that trophy with our second half of season form, where the derby win saw us top the league and we ended up third. This all started on the sixth of january, well before our encounter with Split, in our 1-0 win against East Fife, that saw Onions double leg brake & Mickey's booking and subsequent two month suspension which left us seriously depleted.

After East Fife, our next match was at Tannadice, where three month earlier we put five past them, while completely dominating the league Cup tie, Des Bremner, newly signed from a Highland league side a couple of months earlier, replaced Onion and we lost the game and ended up the season with an almost unrecognisable team, that was beaten 0-3 by Celtic in our last home game that season.

Our best post New Year performance, was against Rangers in the Scottish cup replay at Easter Road, where, with Mickey free from suspension as it only applied to league matches, we absolutely battered them, but with McCloy playing the game of his life and a winner that was five yards offside, we lost the tie.
That was the biggest crowd I was ever in at ER ‘ just under 5Ok for that replay . Gates locked at 6-30 Mcloy with one off those nights and McLean with a dive for a pen and the other 50yrds offside

BILLYHIBS
23-03-2022, 04:42 AM
Anyone remember Saturday nights after Starsky and Hutch? :greengrin

https://youtu.be/fX9n4156lsU

Newcastlehibby
23-03-2022, 07:08 AM
I was taken by my friend’s father during 1965. He was only wee but went to the shed end. The atmosphere was fantastic and when Hibs got a corner and the fans started chanting ‘Big John, Big John’ for John McNamee to come up, I was completely hooked. I remember being distraught when Colin Stein was sold then full of joy when I saw how good Joe McBride was as his replacement. I have often wondered how Peter Marinello would have fitted in to the Tornadoes if we had kept him.

FilipinoHibs
23-03-2022, 07:14 AM

I was there - now 65. 😀

One Day
23-03-2022, 07:47 AM
I remember coming home from the 7-0 game with a group of mates, i was 15, singing. Got chatting to two older Hibbies. One of the old guys said "make the most of this boys, things like this don't happen very often. 50 years from now you can look back and be glad you witnessed it". How right he was.

1959 Hibby
23-03-2022, 08:55 AM
I remember the Celtic game in 1974 - 48,554 at Easter Road that day. (Sadly, as so often, we lost the big game, which is why 2016 still tops everything for me)

Ringothedog
23-03-2022, 01:19 PM

I am far too young to remember the 70’s, sounds like a fun time

CLASS OF 72 -73
23-03-2022, 03:40 PM
I think its maybe why us oldies struggle with so many of the eye bleeding Hibs teams since the Tornadoes. Not all bad of course but then we went into every game knowing we could win it and win it well. Stats will tell you otherwise but it felt like it. If Celtic hadn't had such a great side in the 70's we would have won the league as well.
My biggest thrill was after witnessing the 6-1 Scottish cup hammering in 72 as a 13 year old to be at the League cup final later that year and beat the mighty Celtic ,then straight after the game parade the cup along Princes street to the North British hotel. Only 2016 surpasses that.
The European nights my kids don't believe we played and beat some of the biggest teams in Europe but we did. I emigrated at the end of the seventies so did not experience the worst of the decline so hence you can live in the past a bit with Hibs memories , but what a past the early 70's were!
GGTTH.

CB Hibs 68
23-03-2022, 11:11 PM

That is why 2016 means so much to me !Yup was at All 3 games .Hit for 5 at parkhead on the Saturday.Lost 4 to Juventus on the Wednesday and lost in the League cup final on the following Saturday.These were the days.

CB Hibs 68
23-03-2022, 11:13 PM
Yup was at All 3 games .Hit for 5 at parkhead on the Saturday.Lost 4 to Juventus on the Wednesday and lost in the League cup final on the following Saturday.These were the days.
Should have obviously said we lost 6 in the final when Joe Harper Scored a Hat Trick

gbhibby
23-03-2022, 11:31 PM
Anyone remember Saturday nights after Starsky and Hutch? :greengrin

https://youtu.be/fX9n4156lsU
That game is up there as one of the best I have been at
Jimmy's strike was a thing of beauty. Then to beat them the following year as well. Sure there was 50k at both finals
Those were the days my friend we thought they would never end

BSEJVT
24-03-2022, 03:42 AM
For pure raw emotion nothing surpasses 2016, but the Tornadoes era surpasses everything else by the length of Leith Walk for expectation and the quality of football.

A truly magical era, that nothing else has come remotely close to matching.

50 years later, I still think about how great it was to be a Hibby at that time.

Some of the football I was lucky enough to witness was breathtaking

cad
24-03-2022, 04:42 AM
What a player he was that night

One of my first Euro nights at Easter Road he came on as a sub 2nd half ,jeez he done Hibs himself ,what a doin we got, he was 36 at the end of his career what a player ,had a look at wiki he's still alive ,he must have been half decent they reckon he was 2nd only to Pele.

He knew Hibs were a real good side, maybe even a side to be feared of, he had played for Naples when Hibs humbled them 5-0 in 67 after them being 4-1 up in the first leg so he knew what we were all about .
I reckon there may have been a bit of pay back when he returned in 74 tho , he caused 44 mins of mayhem, 44 mins, 48 years ago and it still sticks in your napper.

Jose Altafini
https://www.sports-nova.com/2020/04/23/jose-altafini-the-brazilian-mazzola-and-biggest-rival-of-pele/

BILLYHIBS
24-03-2022, 05:13 AM
One of my first Euro nights at Easter Road he came on as a sub 2nd half ,jeez he done Hibs himself ,what a doin we got, he was 36 at the end of his career what a player ,had a look at wiki he's still alive ,he must have been half decent they reckon he was 2nd only to Pele.

He knew Hibs were a real good side, maybe even a side to be feared of, he had played for Naples when Hibs humbled them 5-0 in 67 after them being 4-1 up in the first leg so he knew what we were all about .
I reckon there may have been a bit of pay back when he returned in 74 tho , he caused 44 mins of mayhem, 44 mins, 48 years ago and it still sticks in your napper.

Jose Altafini
https://www.sports-nova.com/2020/04/23/jose-altafini-the-brazilian-mazzola-and-biggest-rival-of-pele/

Jose Altafini missed the second leg (0-5) with a small injury and remained at home

So good he was capped by Brazil and Italy

As a young HIBS fan I never ever noticed opposition players but you could not help but notice him Grey hair with pace to burn turned a 1-2 into a 4-2 win when he came on

Scored twice one assist - pest

Also caused mayhem in the second leg as an impact sub

H18S NX
24-03-2022, 01:04 PM
Went to my first game with my dad in 1956 and have going ever since until this year because of bad health I can no longer make it up st claire

hughio
24-03-2022, 01:26 PM
A bygone era

GGTTH

:not worth

GordonHFC
24-03-2022, 01:43 PM
I remember the season used to start with league Cup groups and we almost always used to get drawn with Rangers in our group. No seedings then.

The Baldmans Comb
24-03-2022, 01:45 PM
Turnbull was a football genius and so far ahead of his time and was only second to the great Jock Stein in his knowledge of the game and the evolving tactics of the early 1970's.

Stein knew that as well and there was great respect between the men as its hard to believe that it was often Hibs rather than the old Rangers who threatened Celtic's dominance.

The relationship between Stanton and Turnbull though was very fragile to say the least and Hibs strength in depth was very limited and ultimately that side were to underachieve though they undoubtedly had some great moments.

where'stheslope
24-03-2022, 01:53 PM
Remember going to School after the 5-0 Napoli game, and no one believing the score?
You've got to remember back then, unless you had a paper round in the morning you did not know the scores from the night before!
Also no wall to wall tv back then, so most of us never got to see Scotsport as it was usually the last thing before the National Anthem!!!

EastThomasSTboy
24-03-2022, 02:13 PM
Remember going to School after the 5-0 Napoli game, and no one believing the score?
You've got to remember back then, unless you had a paper round in the morning you did not know the scores from the night before!
Also no wall to wall tv back then, so most of us never got to see Scotsport as it was usually the last thing before the National Anthem!!!.

The Thing I remember most about this tie, was coming home from school, the day after the first leg, and only finding out the score ... by reading the "Evening News" ....and was devastated to find we had lost 4-1.
Then on the same page, reading the managers thoughts ...(bob Shankly).... telling Hibs fans not to worry. as he was confident we would go through in the tie, as we would win it over the two legs!!! (what Foresight!!).:flag:

Then that Magical return Leg.....!!

Iggy Pope
24-03-2022, 06:23 PM
Like I said 3 posts above. 76/7 it all started to go wrong, can’t remember where we finished in the league, probably still above the Jambos though 🤣
Arbroath was a real scunner
I remember the crowds dropped at an alarming rate, late 70s end of season v Partick, circa 1500 !

I’ve already said a while back E but that game is notable in my mind as nothing but the main stand and enclosure being open (we were already down) and Radio Hibs announcing that the SAS had stormed the Iranian Embassy!

WoreTheGreen
24-03-2022, 06:30 PM
I used to get the bus down to see Hibs training at hawk hill behind the sunblest factory on my school holidays

leith lynx
24-03-2022, 07:37 PM
I used to get the bus down to see Hibs training at hawk hill behind the sunblest factory on my school holidays

Did that as well, the training kit was a sight to behold though! (a sort of home made purple patchwork/stripey jerseys and shorts, hip for the times I suppose!)

leith lynx
24-03-2022, 07:48 PM
I’ve already said a while back E but that game is notable in my mind as nothing but the main stand and enclosure being open (we were already down) and Radio Hibs announcing that the SAS had stormed the Iranian Embassy!

Was at that game, I'm sure it was a Monday night, highlight was the live news of the bombing, think Tony Higgins was playing for Thistle? also ex Hearts right back Jim Brown playing for us, think he might have got a bad injury that night, a season to forget!

PatHead
24-03-2022, 09:09 PM
Yes as I said before they were a great Juventus but the tornados were a great team also they deserved to win a lot more than they did but things just conspired against us I'm thinking about brownlie broken leg and Edward's getting a long suspension from the sfa onion in his prime was better than mcgrain and pat was just the gest player I seen in a hibs top

Also we can't forget that Celtic had lost the European Cup finals only a couple of years before. The late team Rangers RIP won the Cup Winners Cup at that time. The Tornadoes competed with top European clubs for our own league.

hibby6270
24-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Although my first game at ER in 1962, I didn’t really start going regularly on Saturdays until around 66/67. Quite daunting to think I was even allowed to go “on my own” with next door neighbour as we were only about 8 years old at the time. He was just a slip of a lad and managed to get a lift over almost every game. Myself? Nothing’s changed in 50+ years. I was a fat slob then, as I am now, and nobody would dare try to lift me over in case a hernia ensued LOL.

First evening game was the Napoli game. What a debut!! Many other magnificent European nights followed over the next 8 years or so. Liverpool in the rain. Leeds with what seemed like they had a 15 man defence but actually they only had 10 PLUS Billy Bremner. Most memorable game though was Sporting Lisbon second leg. I won 2nd prize in an Evening News competition (first prize was all expenses paid trip to 1st leg!!). A magical night. A magical memory.

Always felt a bit “cheated” at the New Year’s Day game in 1973 because the 5 first half goals were scored at the “wrong end”. Other than seeing the highlights that evening, waited years before getting a loan of a Betamax recording, re-recorded on VHS, to see those highlights once again in all their glory.

By the end of the 70s, although my support had never waned, my attendance at games decreased significantly due to regular weekend gigs in a band and ultimately getting hitched in 1981. The 80s were a barren spell for me with only the occasional game attended, mainly confined to the odd cup game and memorable match for Gordon Rae’s Testimonial.

By the early 90s, kids were then old enough to appreciate going to games and there was spell where family season tickets were an absolute bargain. Regular fortnightly visits to ER were back in the diary and have been ST holder ever since.
GGTTH

James70
24-03-2022, 09:44 PM
I remember one of my first games, September 1970, Celtic with most of the Lisbon Lions at Easter Road, a 2-0 win for Hibs!

brog
24-03-2022, 09:46 PM
Lovely thread, just one random thought.
My fav stat of all time. From 1/1/73 to end of that season, Hibs scored more goals at Tiny than Hearts!!

BILLYHIBS
24-03-2022, 10:15 PM
I Remember Hibs beating Rangers in Glasgow twice in 5 days 1971/72

They couldn’t lay a glove on us

Weeks later Rangers would win the ECWC

HappyAsHellas
24-03-2022, 10:16 PM
Always remember going to ER every week in the late sixties, first team one week, reserves the next. Into the seventies and the European nights were brilliant. I was the considered old enough to join the Hibs supporters club (Eastern branch) and going to all the away games. Elland road had me the envy of everyone at school as I was the only one going down there. Tony Higgins missed a sitter as well, and someone had spray painted YLT on the toilet door. Then Liverpool and so many brilliant memories of what was a great time that I could never see ending following Hibs. Fast forward several years and it all came crashing down.

leith lynx
25-03-2022, 09:00 AM
Always remember going to ER every week in the late sixties, first team one week, reserves the next. Into the seventies and the European nights were brilliant. I was the considered old enough to join the Hibs supporters club (Eastern branch) and going to all the away games. Elland road had me the envy of everyone at school as I was the only one going down there. Tony Higgins missed a sitter as well, and someone had spray painted YLT on the toilet door. Then Liverpool and so many brilliant memories of what was a great time that I could never see ending following Hibs. Fast forward several years and it all came crashing down.
Done the same, whilst too young to travel to most away games, the reserves were always at home Sat 3pm, you could almost name the reserve team then, a lot of older guys like Billy Hunter, Alex Pringle, Jim Scott etc, Jimmy O'Rourke also seemed to be a fixture before Turnbull arrived, also remember after the reserve game had finished, gathering underneath the old press box for someone to telephone the result from the 1st team!

.Sean.
25-03-2022, 09:02 AM
Done the same, whilst too young to travel to most away games, the reserves were always at home Sat 3pm, you could almost name the reserve team then, a lot of older guys like Billy Hunter, Alex Pringle, Jim Scott etc, Jimmy O'Rourke also seemed to be a fixture before Turnbull arrived, also remember after the reserve game had finished, gathering underneath the old press box for someone to telephone the result from the 1st team!What kind of crowd would the reserves get compared to the first team?

BILLYHIBS
25-03-2022, 09:39 AM
Used to go and watch the Reserves and hang about the Players Entrance hoping to get ‘Complimentary Tickets’ for the Centre Stand

On one such occasion a young Trialist player was only too pleased to stop and chat and gave me and my pal two Comps for a Reserve match versus Greenock Morton

He even suggested if we meet him after the game he would show us the Changing Rooms and let us run out the tunnel onto the pitch

Thanks Mr Schaedler

A nicer man you could not hope to meet

RIP

brog
25-03-2022, 09:53 AM

I was actually in London, for an interview that day. I flew back, went straight to ER and was so disenchanted after game I accepted the job offer. I'm still in London so Hibs really did change my life but I still have a season ticket! Coincidentally years later i worked with the guy who was SB Commander at Iranian Embassy siege. You can clearly see him on footage from that day.

Alfiembra
25-03-2022, 10:00 AM
I can’t remember what my first game at ER was but some games stick in the memory the 7-0 game right up there but strangely enough I remember 8-0 against Ayr United and also never forget that Joe Harper goal against Liverpool or their fans in the cow shed singing L-I-V-E-R-P double O-L Liverpool FC. Happy days.

bigwheel
25-03-2022, 11:14 AM
I can’t remember what my first game at ER was but some games stick in the memory the 7-0 game right up there but strangely enough I remember 8-0 against Ayr United and also never forget that Joe Harper goal against Liverpool or their fans in the cow shed singing L-I-V-E-R-P double O-L Liverpool FC. Happy days.

8-1. Apologies for pedantry. :).

leith lynx
25-03-2022, 11:29 AM
What kind of crowd would the reserves get compared to the first team?

Couple of hundred at most, majority pensioners and kids, only the old main stand and enclosure open, also remember when we played Aberdeen, the half time break was shorter and always taken on the pitch, presumably so Aberdeen could get up the road/train quicker! Oddly Aberdeen always had numbers on the front of their Jerseys, one of life's great mysteries!

hibeg
25-03-2022, 03:31 PM
I am far too young to remember the 70’s, sounds like a fun time

Aye so you are B, your older than me 😂

ancient hibee
25-03-2022, 03:37 PM
In the late 50s early 60s there were usually a couple of thousand at reserve games. One season when Joe was scoring for fun,Jock Buchanan was knocking in more than 50 for the reserve team so there was plenty entertainment .

hibeg
25-03-2022, 03:38 PM
Couple of hundred at most, majority pensioners and kids, only the old main stand and enclosure open, also remember when we played Aberdeen, the half time break was shorter and always taken on the pitch, presumably so Aberdeen could get up the road/train quicker! Oddly Aberdeen always had numbers on the front of their Jerseys, one of life's great mysteries!

That’s dedication, must admit I never went to any reserve games that I can recall. I started going to first team away games around 1973 or 1974. Some great times were had on the special buses leaving from St Andrews Square, also the football special trains
Around 1976 a few off us joined Edinburgh West.
Now they were special away days 😂😂

kaimendhibs
25-03-2022, 04:55 PM
I used to enjoy the reserve games. Tried to get in early to be a ball boy. Used to see players coming back from injury etc.
My grandad was live in jannie in Norton Park School so got to meet loads of players.
Heady days

Iggy Pope
25-03-2022, 05:23 PM
I used to enjoy the reserve games. Tried to get in early to be a ball boy. Used to see players coming back from injury etc.
My grandad was live in jannie in Norton Park School so got to meet loads of players.
Heady days

As a kid I got loads of autographs at reserve games amongst the Tornadoes understudies like Alex McGhee, Kenny Davidson (who I seen break his leg at one of them), Willie Paterson, Lyndsey Muir and the like. Occasionally you’d get a first team player getting a run and I recall my dad pointing out Bobby Duncan to me and telling me his story. It was probably amongst his last days at Hibs. I even remember going to Colts games and them winning the King Cup.
At reserve games, always a Saturday, they’d read out the half times and we’d all be waiting on the big teams update from the corresponding game that the wee team were playing against. Changed days indeed.

kaimendhibs
25-03-2022, 05:38 PM
As a kid I got loads of autographs at reserve games amongst the Tornadoes understudies like Alex McGhee, Kenny Davidson (who I seen break his leg at one of them), Willie Paterson, Lyndsey Muir and the like. Occasionally you’d get a first team player getting a run and I recall my dad pointing out Bobby Duncan to me and telling me his story. It was probably amongst his last days at Hibs. I even remember going to Colts games and them winning the King Cup.
At reserve games, always a Saturday, they’d read out the half times and we’d all be waiting on the big teams update from the corresponding game that the wee team were playing against. Changed days indeed.

Always 3pm on a Saturday. All this is making me nostalgic 💚

brog
25-03-2022, 08:16 PM
In the late 50s early 60s there were usually a couple of thousand at reserve games. One season when Joe was scoring for fun,Jock Buchanan was knocking in more than 50 for the reserve team so there was plenty entertainment .

I'm sure like me you can also remember the public trial games, probables vs possibles I think! I remember seeing Colin Stein in one of these games, caught offside about 10 times, missed about 5 chances but scored a hat trick and was just outstanding.

Still Smiling
25-03-2022, 08:28 PM
I remember going to the away games on the Pentland Bus. Some characters! I remember going on a bus to play Partick and just arrived in Weegie, lots of snow and fans shouting “the games aff!”. The bus just turned and took hours to get home. Also remember going to Ayr and some windows were put in. Best trip of the season was away to Aberdeen. Bus left at 8 am, huge carry out, the match and a lot of the buses left the harbour area around 12:30 am…..carnage!

Earlydelivery
26-03-2022, 03:01 AM
That’s dedication, must admit I never went to any reserve games that I can recall. I started going to first team away games around 1973 or 1974. Some great times were had on the special buses leaving from St Andrews Square, also the football special trains
Around 1976 a few off us joined Edinburgh West.
Now they were special away days 😂😂

The special buses from St Andrews Sq 🙌 went on they buses as a kid ... done it against Dundee Scottish cup 1/4 replay 74 .. still the biggest travelling support i've ever seen that night out with a Semi or Final .. gubbed 3-0 🙈

BSEJVT
26-03-2022, 08:07 AM
Great thread and very nostalgic.

Maybe it is because I was younger in those days and football was the centre of my universe, maybe folk had less money or there were fewer things to do but folk seemed much more woven into the fabric of the club then than they are now.

Can you imagine more than a few dozen going to see other than the first team now?

I used to love going to see the reserves and can still remember the smell of the linament as they ran out the tunnel.

You got to see your heroes up very close and hear what was being said.

For all the tough times there have been over the last 60 years I wouldn't swap a second for the good times, especially in those early wonderful years.

I am actually a bit sad reading this as I am probably as disassociated from Hibs as I have been for many years and can't see any way I will renew my season ticket.

I think with Covid, I have just gotten completely out the way of it and don't even watch the games on Hibs TV

Maybe when my grandsons get a bit bigger and want to go I will get back into it.

Forza Fred
26-03-2022, 08:49 AM
I actually emigrated in late August 74, just at the beginning of Turnbull's Tornadoees decline.

Great memories from so many games.

Traveled regularly on the Carlton bus, but the most productive bus trip was on a number 34 from Kemp's Corner to Tynecastle on New Years Day 1973.

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2022, 09:00 AM
Great thread and very nostalgic.

Maybe it is because I was younger in those days and football was the centre of my universe, maybe folk had less money or there were fewer things to do but folk seemed much more woven into the fabric of the club then than they are now.

Can you imagine more than a few dozen going to see other than the first team now?

I used to love going to see the reserves and can still remember the smell of the linament as they ran out the tunnel.

You got to see your heroes up very close and hear what was being said.

For all the tough times there have been over the last 60 years I wouldn't swap a second for the good times, especially in those early wonderful years.

I am actually a bit sad reading this as I am probably as disassociated from Hibs as I have been for many years and can't see any way I will renew my season ticket.

I think with Covid, I have just gotten completely out the way of it and don't even watch the games on Hibs TV

Maybe when my grandsons get a bit bigger and want to go I will get back into it.

:agree:

Feel exactly the same

I struggle to keep my eyes open watching Hibs on HIBS TV

Might consider renewing in a couple of months when I reach 65 :greengrin

It’s a ballache getting to and from Easter Road with the trams etc

Forza Fred
27-03-2022, 03:07 AM
:agree:

Feel exactly the same

I struggle to keep my eyes open watching Hibs on HIBS TV

Might consider renewing in a couple of months when I reach 65 :greengrin

It’s a ballache getting to and from Easter Road with the trams etc

Billy,

If I can keep my eyes open every week at 2am on a Sunday morning to watch them on hibs tv pretty sure you can too:greengrin

GORDONSMITH7
27-03-2022, 06:16 AM
Definitely never forgot, 8-2 to juventus over 2 legs was the least of it!

My first game was a 5 year old that my dad took to see Hibs beating, 'without a doubt'to Clyde in the 1958. The bus was rammed with Hibees from Blackfriar Street.
The vivid recollection of the Hibs in all the Euros in the 60s watching my all time Hibernian hero...

Willie Hamilton. Genius.

BIG G

jst1875
27-03-2022, 07:59 AM

4 - 2 for juve if I remember correctly, but going ahead 2-1 gave us a short lived bit of excitement

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2022, 08:01 AM
billy,

if i can keep my eyes open every week at 2am on a sunday morning to watch them on hibs tv pretty sure you can too:greengrin

lol 😂

jst1875
27-03-2022, 08:34 AM
I remember a derby at tynie in the 70's, hertz had to win to avoid relegation, absolute carnage when the whole hibs support burst into the old Vera Lynn song..We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when

Hiber-nation
27-03-2022, 09:18 AM
I remember a derby at tynie in the 70's, hertz had to win to avoid relegation, absolute carnage when the whole hibs support burst into the old Vera Lynn song..We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when

Was that the game when Ralph Callachan scored the winner? Absolute bedlam after the game!

There was another game at tynie when Des Bremner scored twice in a 2-2 draw, must have been a couple of seasons before.

Bostonhibby
27-03-2022, 09:28 AM
My first game was a 5 year old that my dad took to see Hibs beating, 'without a doubt'to Clyde in the 1958. The bus was rammed with Hibees from Blackfriar Street.
The vivid recollection of the Hibs in all the Euros in the 60s watching my all time Hibernian hero...

Willie Hamilton. Genius.

BIG GFirst of many Gordon[emoji6]

Hope you're doing good and to see you soon.

GGTTH

greenginger
27-03-2022, 11:23 AM

Quite an appropriate song it turned out.

I think we went down next season and they came up. The following season we came up and they went down again and stayed down for another season.

Was about 5 years before we met again. :greengrin

ancient hibee
27-03-2022, 04:21 PM
I'm sure like me you can also remember the public trial games, probables vs possibles I think! I remember seeing Colin Stein in one of these games, caught offside about 10 times, missed about 5 chances but scored a hat trick and was just outstanding.
Sorry,meant to reply earlier.

Yes the public trial was always good fun. For a while Hibs published a handbook and that was usually the first opportunity to buy it each season. The probables team often included a young player like Davy Hogg or Malcolm Bogie who invariably played well. I remember one season Joe scored nine . Pat Hughes was playing centre half for the possibles and came off with a face like thunder.

blackpoolhibs
27-03-2022, 04:38 PM

Great days, then hanging about for a few minutes at the end for the anouncer to tell us the result of the 1st team, and the gimps score especially when they lost.:greengrin

IberianHibernian
27-03-2022, 07:59 PM
Great thread . Match programmes always had next fixture as following Saturday`s reserve games . Maybe even 3rd team Hibs Colts in some years . Only Saturday reserve match I remember going to was a cup match against Aberdeen I think on day first team was playing a friendly in Newcastle ( a lot of songs started after that match ) . A couple of thousand at Holy Ground that day plus thousands in Newcastle . International matches on that weekend I think . Most fans at reserve matches seemed to be season ticket holders ( at that time a very small % of our support since we had massive terracing and Sts were for centre stand and after for North too ( both in present day West ) or relatives of players . Reserve cup matches or new players playing ( I remember being at a reserve match when Mike Conroy made his debut in early 80s with a couple of thousand there - Conroy and Rough were Pat Stanton`s big signings when manager ) .

at last 61
28-03-2022, 01:11 PM
My dad took me too hundreds of games especially in the 70s, great times, would have been a lot better if celtic weren't a good team then, re dixie deans, grrrr 😁 how many of the 70s team were internationals, the vast majority were

at last 61
28-03-2022, 01:13 PM
Ps 2016 still the best day ever, and even when we are playing crap I will always watch and support my team

hibeg
28-03-2022, 03:04 PM
My dad took me too hundreds of games especially in the 70s, great times, would have been a lot better if celtic weren't a good team then, re dixie deans, grrrr 😁 how many of the 70s team were internationals, the vast majority were

Herriot, Brownlie, shades, Stanton, Blackley, Crops and Duncan were all full internationalists. All when at Hibs except Jim Herriot
Odd ones out were Black,Edwards, O Rourke and Gordon
Complete injustice why Edwards and Gordon were never capped in my opinion
Jimmy O should have had a sniff as well.

A Hi-Bee
28-03-2022, 06:37 PM
Herriot, Brownlie, shades, Stanton, Blackley, Crops and Duncan were all full internationalists. All when at Hibs except Jim Herriot
Odd ones out were Black,Edwards, O Rourke and Gordon
Complete injustice why Edwards and Gordon were never capped in my opinion
Jimmy O should have had a sniff as well.

Agree, although Alan Gordon was picked for a couple of World XI teams playing alongside real world class stars, way above Scotland level.
:thumbsup:

brog
28-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Agree, although Alan Gordon was picked for a couple of World XI teams playing alongside real world class stars, way above Scotland level.
:thumbsup:

IIRC Alan was also capped by the Scottish League. I think all 5 forwards were originally in squad but only 2 played.

Roxyhibee
29-03-2022, 08:05 AM
What a time to be a Hibby - all those iconic European nights starting with Naples for me, we had pretty much total derby dominance, showed Rangers how to play real fitba, regularly scored goals galore and had huge crowds for the big fixtures. Cutting bits out of The Pink News to pin on my bedroom wall and the constant pride of wearing a Hibs scarf going back to school on a Monday. Great times home and away shared by my best mate - my dad. But, not one of those games comes close to May 2016 and although there are plenty painful times following Hibs, I’ll always look forward to going along to ER to see the next batch of hopefuls take us to glory.

JimBHibees
29-03-2022, 11:22 AM
What a time to be a Hibby - all those iconic European nights starting with Naples for me, we had pretty much total derby dominance, showed Rangers how to play real fitba, regularly scored goals galore and had huge crowds for the big fixtures. Cutting bits out of The Pink News to pin on my bedroom wall and the constant pride of wearing a Hibs scarf going back to school on a Monday. Great times home and away shared by my best mate - my dad. But, not one of those games comes close to May 2016 and although there are plenty painful times following Hibs, I’ll always look forward to going along to ER to see the next batch of hopefuls take us to glory.

Great post :thumbsup: