PDA

View Full Version : Attacking football

Unseen work
20-03-2022, 11:26 AM
It’s been sold to us as the style of play and the media team continuously hype it up but I’m just not seeing it.

Weve played the bottom 3 teams in the league and scored 1 goal and got 2 points. 3 teams brutal at the back and we’ve not laid a glove on any of them.

Yesterday whenever Aberdeen attacked we had 10/11 men behind the ball who all sat ridiculously deep, whenever we won it we had next to no option further up. We carried no counter attacking threat and Aberdeen were able to gain territory with ease. The goals we conceded was as a result of sitting so deep and inviting them on, if you do that then things like the ball bouncing up and hitting your hand is going to happen.

If we want to attack teams let’s do it and not just say how attacking we are.

If we insist on playing 343 then we cannot have a midfield 4 of Stevenson, Campbell, Newell and Cadden and we cannot play Wright as one of the front 3. Again yesterday everything was to feet and there was no threat in behind, it suited Aberdeen to a tee. We really need to stretch the play more and create a bit of space for ourself.

Last week against Motherwell in the first half was attacking but that appeared more by chance than planned with Doig going off injured and is having a lack of defenders. We were also against 10 men.

I get we have injuries etc but we can still put out a team with more attacking intent than that.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 11:31 AM
We’re not playing attacking football.

It doesn’t matter how many times Maloney, players or the directors say it, we’re not playing it.

GreenCastle
20-03-2022, 11:32 AM
Having given this team and shape some time my analysis..

Watch off the ball when we attack.

Goalkeeper

Back 3
Holding 2

That’s 6 players…usually BEHIND the ball.

Add in the rest that’s 5.

Now sounds a lot but look at the oppostion.

Back 4 and keeper = 5
Midfield - 2 / 3 / 4 players.

The opposition always overload us and have plenty spare to mark up.

We are always up against it unless like you say we go direct / long in behind which is rare - how many goals like Melkersons this season. Or we beat a player and it’s a cross / cut back - think Jasper 2nd against Motherwell. We occasionally get a Doig or Cadden run but oddly Cadden went deeper 2nd half yesterday after setting up the own goal. Jasper was brilliant on the right against Motherwell but Rocky came back in and Cadden moved up so Jasper went left 1st half.

Melkersen hardly touched the ball yesterday and 2nd half against a a 10 man Well.

I’m 100% sure if Maloney changed his shape we would be doing better. Not always winning but creating more.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 11:33 AM
Having given this team and shape some time my analysis..

Watch off the ball when we attack.

Goalkeeper

Back 3
Holding 2

That’s 6 players…usually BEHIND the ball.

Add in the rest that’s 5.

Now sounds a lot but look at the oppostion.

Back 4 and keeper = 5
Midfield - 2 / 3 / 4 players.

We are always up against it unless like you say we go direct / long in behind which is rare - how many goals like Melkersons this season. Or we beat a player and it’s a cross / cut back - think Jasper 2nd against Motherwell. We occasionally get a Doig or Cadden run but oddly Cadden went deeper 2nd half yesterday after setting up the own goal. Jasper was brilliant on the right against Motherwell but Rocky came back in and Cadden moved up so Jasper went left 1st half.

Melkersen hardly touched the ball yesterday and 2nd half against a a 10 man Well.

I’m 100% sure if Maloney changed his shape we would be doing better. Not always winning but creating more.

Yup.

We’ve got 6 players who don’t attack. We’ve then got two full backs not included in that in Cadden and Doig.

Other than our ‘front three’ we’ve not got a genuine attacking player in the team. And that front three sometimes even includes Drey Wright.

Our attacking options are woeful.

LunasBoots
20-03-2022, 11:36 AM
Won't change until next season with a overhaul in the summer to allow Maloney to bring in his own players to be able to play the system, we don't play attacking football.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 11:40 AM
He needs to change something to get more bodies up the park.

So many times yesterday we got the ball and just didn’t have anywhere to go. It even contributed to the first goal we lost yesterday. They had a spell of pressure for a minute or two. Newell actually got the ball down at one point and just had to punt it away, but there was actually nobody up the park so it just came back at us.

It isn’t all tactical though, it is in part down to the players lack of ability. Wright is meant to be a winger but he does absolutely nothing in the final third. When the quality isn’t there the manager needs to find another way though, just to get bodies in to the final third or whatever.

Unseen work
20-03-2022, 11:44 AM
Won't change until next season with a overhaul in the summer to allow Maloney to bring in his own players to be able to play the system.

For me though if it’s a clear attacking system you should be able to rotate players and it remains the same.

Obviously the quality would dip but the clear play would remain.

We don’t get anyone causing any threat and we rely on Jasper doing something out of nothing.

I don’t want to pick on Mueller but he summed it up when he came on he was dropping go near enough the centre half to try and get on the ball.

Jones28
20-03-2022, 11:47 AM
The first half against Motherwell was great to watch. I think that’s the most excited I’ve been watching Hibs since the LC semi.

ancient hibee
20-03-2022, 11:49 AM
As far as I can see we are the only team in the league unable to get midfield players beyond strikers and wide men to the bye line regularly.No wonder we can't score goals.

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2022, 11:50 AM
Our attacking option left on a 3m flight to Dubai months ago

1875Sean
20-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Won't change until next season with a overhaul in the summer to allow Maloney to bring in his own players to be able to play the system.

A good manager would change the system to suit the players

Unseen work
20-03-2022, 11:58 AM
The first half against Motherwell was great to watch. I think that’s the most excited I’ve been watching Hibs since the LC semi.

We were very good in that first half I agree, but like I said I think his hand was forced a bit with that.

We just need to find a way to get more attacking players in our line up.

Even playing Doig left wing back would make a fair change as Stevenson offers nothing offensively in that position

Mikey_1875
20-03-2022, 12:36 PM
As far as I can see we are the only team in the league unable to get midfield players beyond strikers

That’s the biggest problem for me and I don’t think it will ever change as long as Campbell, Stevenson and Wright are in our midfield. Unbelievable that we were relying on Newell yesterday as the one to break the lines and support the forward line.

Mueller and Henderson I guess are the ones that are meant to help us in that regard but it remains to be seen whether they are up to par or not.

As for the attacking football mentioned in the OP i’ve pretty much resigned myself to not seeing any this season. There are a lot of different factors as to why it’s not came around yet but we are really just praying that it will change for next season.

J-C
20-03-2022, 12:44 PM
You'll not play attacking football with Wright and Campbell in the team with Jasper as your only option to attack. Why is Mueller not starting, Henderson who is an attacking midfielder, playing Doig in a back 3 instead of Stevenson.

LunasBoots
20-03-2022, 12:46 PM

Don't disagree, we should be doing that currently but we seem to continue with the same failing system

Spike Mandela
20-03-2022, 12:48 PM

Agreed it was a good performance but the fact it was against 10 men has to be factored in. 10 men who pushed us all the way in the second half.

Alfred E Newman
20-03-2022, 12:59 PM

Can't wait. Exciting times ahead. :flag:

jacomo
20-03-2022, 02:27 PM

I don’t think so.

He inherited a squad that got 3rd place last season and backed to bring in a lot of players in January.

For me the team shape is problematic. If it’s not showing signs of working now what realistically is going to change in the summer?

The Modfather
20-03-2022, 02:31 PM
Maloney inherited a bad hand from Ross IMO. If we still had Boyle we’d look the same as under Ross IMO. Similarly take Boyle out of Ross’ team and you’d see what we see now.

That doesn’t give Maloney a free swing though. He needs to find a way to create with what he has. I do feel sorry for him though, he inherited a midfield of Newell, Campbell & JDH, plus a permanently injured Magennis and Scott Allan who doesn’t seem much of a real option. That’s as poor and unbalanced a midfield as we’ve had in a long time. I almost hark back for the dark days of Mallan & Hyndman!

1875Sean
20-03-2022, 03:14 PM
Maloney inherited a bad hand from Ross IMO. If we still had Boyle we’d look the same as under Ross IMO. Similarly take Boyle out of Ross’ team and you’d see what we see now.

That doesn’t give Maloney a free swing though. He needs to find a way to create with what he has. I do feel sorry for him though, he inherited a midfield of Newell, Campbell & JDH, plus a permanently injured Magennis and Scott Allan who doesn’t seem much of a real option. That’s as poor and unbalanced a midfield as we’ve had in a long time. I almost hark back for the dark days of Mallan & Hyndman!

Maloney had Boyle until the middle of Jan and we still didn’t look like scoring, as for the midfield you got to think it was Maloneys choice to get rid of Hallbeg and Gogic as well as loaning out tait

James70
20-03-2022, 03:24 PM
We have two players out on loan at Kilmarnock who can't even get a game. If they are not considered good enough for Killie I can't see much future for them at Easter Road.

The Modfather
20-03-2022, 03:27 PM
Maloney had Boyle until the middle of Jan and we still didn’t look like scoring, as for the midfield you got to think it was Maloneys choice to get rid of Hallbeg and Gogic as well as loaning out tait

I think we won both games Maloney had Boyle for. Which maybe adds weight to my point.

I’d forgotten about Gogic & Hallberg. Both were a big mistake to let go without bringing in anyone. I’d play both ahead of Campbell, but don’t think either would help address our struggles creating. I wasn’t disappointed to see either leave as they were part of the limitations of our midfield options but to effectively replace them with Henderson has left Maloney just trying to survive the season rather than kick on.

J-C
20-03-2022, 03:41 PM
We have two players out on loan at Kilmarnock who can't even get a game. If they are not considered good enough for Killie I can't see much future for them at Easter Road.

Tait was a strange one, came from Raith as their stand out players and was playing very well for the 1st half of the season, came back to Hibs and was immediately punted back out on loan without even a look in.

As you say if they can't force their way into Killie's team then it doesn't look good for them here.

Bridge hibs
20-03-2022, 03:46 PM
Tait was a strange one, came from Raith as their stand out players and was playing very well for the 1st half of the season, came back to Hibs and was immediately punted back out on loan without even a look in.

As you say if they can't force their way into Killie's team then it doesn't look good for them here.I watched Killie v Ayr and for a fair percentage of the game the ball was lumped up to Shaw and Laugherty, if Tait is a midfield playmaker then his role would have been made redundant, same could be said for a Winger in McKay

1875Sean
20-03-2022, 03:47 PM
I think we won both games Maloney had Boyle for. Which maybe adds weight to my point.

I’d forgotten about Gogic & Hallberg. Both were a big mistake to let go without bringing in anyone. I’d play both ahead of Campbell, but don’t think either would help address our struggles creating. I wasn’t disappointed to see either leave as they were part of the limitations of our midfield options but to effectively replace them with Henderson has left Maloney just trying to survive the season rather than kick on.

He was also there for the Celtic game, I know we miss Boyle but we missed him for long spells due to injury under JR and we still managed to attack

sauzeelegod
20-03-2022, 03:52 PM
I’ve said it in another couple of threads but playing a 433 would suit us much better. 3 in midfield 2 wingers and fullbacks overlapping.
I just want to see exciting attacking football.
You can still play possession based football but it needs to be faster.
Celtic are a prime example.
They play fast and aggressive.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 03:58 PM
He was also there for the Celtic game, I know we miss Boyle but we missed him for long spells due to injury under JR and we still managed to attack

Think his big injuries were all before Ross was in the door. Do accept we’ve carried threat elsewhere previously but, this season, we got ourselves to a point where we looked totally reliant on him.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 04:20 PM

Maloney won the very single game he had Boyle available for. The game at Tannadice was one of our best performances of the season.
. No coincidence that performance had Boyle playing.

CapitalGreen
20-03-2022, 04:26 PM
Maloney won the very single game he had Boyle available for. The game at Tannadice was one of our best performances of the season.
. No coincidence that performance had Boyle playing.

We lost 2-0 at Celtic Park with Boyle playing.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 04:27 PM
We lost 2-0 at Celtic Park with Boyle playing.

Apologies. So we did. Won 2 out of 3 then with the only one we didn’t win being away to the best team in the league.

Jones28
20-03-2022, 04:30 PM

As you say if they can't force their way into Killie's team then it doesn't look good for them here.

Tait strikes me as a Mathie signing more than anyone else.

MWHIBBIES
20-03-2022, 04:38 PM

Ross was getting more from the whole squad.

The Modfather
20-03-2022, 04:42 PM
Ross was getting more from the whole squad.

I’m not sure was, certainly this season, which is why he ended up getting sacked.

MWHIBBIES
20-03-2022, 04:44 PM
I’m not sure was, certainly this season, which is why he ended up getting sacked.

He had an awful run, absolutely. But we still had decent performances in there and could score a goal. Also beat the huns and that wasn't just because of Boyle. It was a brilliant set up and plan that totally nullified rangers. The type of thing Maloney hasn't shown whatsoever sadly.

Both had brutal runs, but at least Ross had a good run and good results. Shaun just hasn't.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 04:45 PM

He wasn’t, hence why he left us in 7th and we’re now in 5th.

GreenCastle
20-03-2022, 04:59 PM
I’ve said it in another couple of threads but playing a 433 would suit us much better. 3 in midfield 2 wingers and fullbacks overlapping.
I just want to see exciting attacking football.
You can still play possession based football but it needs to be faster.
Celtic are a prime example.
They play fast and aggressive.

Fully agree - the system is just too complicated and players don’t seem to be enjoying it much - feels like they are restricted.

Stevie Reid
20-03-2022, 05:17 PM

Even with the horrendous run at the end, Ross had 1.19 PPG and 1.13 GPG this season. Maloney has 1.08 PPG and 0.69 GPG.

Ross had a 31% league win ratio this season - Maloney currently has 23%. We failed to score in 38% of Ross’ 2021/22 league games - we haven’t scored in 62% of Maloney’s.

We actually scored more goals in our first four games of the season than Maloney has managed in his 13. Yes, Boyle is a huge loss for Maloney, but Doidge and Magennis were for Ross, also.

Things are grim, regardless of the fact that we are two places higher in the league. Every manager has mitigating circumstances to deal with, and the number of injuries we have had under Shaun has been very unfortunate. But he’s had plenty of attacking players available to him, including several that he signed, since he arrived.

After 16 games he’s either not getting his messages through to the players, or he’s telling them to play in the dull, risk-free, conservative fashion that we are doing. Either way, it’s a problem.

Iain G
20-03-2022, 05:18 PM
Tait strikes me as a Mathie signing more than anyone else.

Nobody was ever just a Mathie signing, Ross was involved with decision making as was LeeAnn...and then Ben.

Or are the Mathie signings just the ones people don't rate? 🙄

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 05:37 PM
Even with the horrendous run at the end, Ross had 1.19 PPG and 1.13 GPG this season. Maloney has 1.08 PPG and 0.69 GPG.

Ross had a 31% league win ratio this season - Maloney currently has 23%. We failed to score in 38% of Ross’ 2021/22 league games - we haven’t scored in 62% of Maloney’s.

We actually scored more goals in our first four games of the season than Maloney has managed in his 13. Yes, Boyle is a huge loss for Maloney, but Doidge and Magennis were for Ross, also.

Things are grim, regardless of the fact that we are two places higher in the league. Every manager has mitigating circumstances to deal with, and the number of injuries we have had under Shaun has been very unfortunate. But he’s had plenty of attacking players available to him, including several that he signed, since he arrived.

After 16 games he’s either not getting his messages through to the players, or he’s telling them to play in the dull, risk-free, conservative fashion that we are doing. Either way, it’s a problem.

We kept getting told last season that 3rd place was all that matters. It was a huge achievement etc.

Let’s not move the goalposts now. We’re in a better place now than we were when Jack Ross left us. The league table doesn’t lie and all that.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 05:40 PM
Nobody was ever just a Mathie signing, Ross was involved with decision making as was LeeAnn...and then Ben.

This pish is how it’s always been.

We seen people claiming Doidge and Newell were Heckingbottom signings and that they were ***** by people who didn’t like Heckingbottom. The minute they came good they wererecruitment team signings and they were class, well done recruitment team.

We have a recruitment team that sign the players. The head coach then needs to get a tune out those players.

J-C
20-03-2022, 05:49 PM
I watched Killie v Ayr and for a fair percentage of the game the ball was lumped up to Shaw and Laugherty, if Tait is a midfield playmaker then his role would have been made redundant, same could be said for a Winger in McKay

Which then bags the question, why send them to Killie who play with those tactics, both these players would have been used due to injuries to others, like Campbell they'd have gained more valuable experience than sitting on there ***** at Killie.

#2 Double Tap
20-03-2022, 05:54 PM
This pish is how it’s always been.

We seen people claiming Doidge and Newell were Heckingbottom signings and that they were ***** by people who didn’t like Heckingbottom. The minute they came good they wererecruitment team signings and they were class, well done recruitment team.

mathie took the credit for those two once they came good, he never claimed vega though, that was all on hecky, sure it was on the longbangers podcast he said it, maybe I read it somewhere else though.

like you said its always been like that.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 06:11 PM
Which then bags the question, why send them to Killie who play with those tactics, both these players would have been used due to injuries to others, like Campbell they'd have gained more valuable experience than sitting on there ***** at Killie.

It feels, to me, that we’ve had the idea of trying to sign what are deemed to be the best young players at that level. Not necessarily a bad idea.

However, once Maloney has had a look at them he’s basically decided they’re not good enough to play for us just now.

It’s part of the problem with changing manager, the one coming in will always have different ideas to the one previous. You can chuck Mueller in to that as well as Maloney doesn’t seem to fancy him much either. That’s a couple of wingers and an attacking midfielder, things were desperately lacking, who we have on the books but they’re not doing anything for us. The two young players were signed for six figure fees and Mueller will be on a decent wage so it’s not that we’re unwilling to spend, it’s just that we’ve spent terribly in terms of improving the team for the here and now.

Alfred E Newman
20-03-2022, 06:18 PM

We weren’t 2 points off 10th though.

Jones28
20-03-2022, 06:27 PM

I never said I rated him or I didn’t, I thought he was an exciting signing. Him being punted immediately out on loan would suggest he isn’t the level required by the manager. I hope he comes back and is a good player.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 06:30 PM
We weren’t 2 points off 10th though.

We were more points off the European spots than we are now though seeing as we’re in one.

All that matters is the end result we were told under JR. Style of football doesn’t matter, enjoyment doesn’t matter etc.

All of the things people used to back up JR have improved since he left really. As I said, let’s not change the goal posts. JR supporters only cared about being 3rd place and results. It was the safety net any time someone criticised him. Our league position and results have improved since he left.

CentreLine
20-03-2022, 06:35 PM
We were more points off the European spots than we are now though seeing as we’re in one.

All that matters is the end result we were told under JR. Style of football doesn’t matter, enjoyment doesn’t matter etc.

All of the things people used to back up JR have improved since he left really. As I said, let’s not change the goal posts. JR supporters only cared about being 3rd place and results. It was the safety net any time someone criticised him. Our league position and results have improved since he left.

Wow? Who said that? Was it the club, the fans, then press? I can’t say I ever saw or heard such a comment. Can we have some examples because it makes no sense whatsoever.

Bridge hibs
20-03-2022, 08:29 PM
Which then bags the question, why send them to Killie who play with those tactics, both these players would have been used due to injuries to others, like Campbell they'd have gained more valuable experience than sitting on there ***** at Killie.No idea mate, McInness signed Laugherty and route one seems to be working alongside Shaw so thats probably the way McInness sees a way to get promoted, werent those tactics similar at Aberdeen ? Agree though, those pair would have been better utilised at another club

S4uzee
20-03-2022, 08:31 PM
It’s not worked for months and very naive to just stick with 3-4-3.

Try something different. Surely he can’t enjoy watching his own team

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 08:43 PM
Wow? Who said that? Was it the club, the fans, then press? I can’t say I ever saw or heard such a comment. Can we have some examples because it makes no sense whatsoever.

You didn’t see anybody say they didn’t care about anything other than results and that they’d take wins and third place finishes over performances every time? You’re really going to pretend you didn’t see posts along those lines?

You can kid yourself on that you didn’t all you like. I’ll not be trawling through posts from months back to find them for you whilst you do it though.

S4uzee
20-03-2022, 08:47 PM
He had an awful run, absolutely. But we still had decent performances in there and could score a goal. Also beat the huns and that wasn't just because of Boyle. It was a brilliant set up and plan that totally nullified rangers. The type of thing Maloney hasn't shown whatsoever sadly.

Both had brutal runs, but at least Ross had a good run and good results. Shaun just hasn't.

Come on, Boyle scored all 3

CentreLine
20-03-2022, 09:07 PM
You didn’t see anybody say they didn’t care about anything other than results and that they’d take wins and third place finishes over performances every time? You’re really going to pretend you didn’t see posts along those lines?

You can kid yourself on that you didn’t all you like. I’ll not be trawling through posts from months back to find them for you whilst you do it though.

That’s why I asked the question. No I don’t but if you are telling me that random fans have expressed an opinion like that it’s hardly some authoritative comment. I really thought you meant the club to be honest. Along the lines on the alleged Bobby Williamson “go to the pictures”comment.
There is a reason that our ticket sales rocketed under Tony Mowbray and were sustained at a high level through many of the subsequent managers. That’s entertainment.

cameronw-hfc
20-03-2022, 10:29 PM
This formation would work with a really solid #6 as one of the midfield 2, allowing the rest to be more offensive. As it stands were effectively playing with 2 makeshift defensive mids, I think a change in formation would do us the world of good at the moment and maybe revisit this when we have the players capable

superfurryhibby
20-03-2022, 10:35 PM
It’s not worked for months and very naive to just stick with 3-4-3.

Try something different. Surely he can’t enjoy watching his own team

Some would call it bloody minded and clueless.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 10:38 PM
This formation would work with a really solid #6 as one of the midfield 2, allowing the rest to be more offensive. As it stands were effectively playing with 2 makeshift defensive mids, I think a change in formation would do us the world of good at the moment and maybe revisit this when we have the players capable

Still think there is an issue with the players in the formation as much as the formation itself.

If you look at that team yesterday you’re basically looking to a couple of kids to go and create something (with the exception of getting the ball to Cadden for him to cross it in). We’ve got too many players on the park who just aren’t going to provide any kind of threat going forward. That said, Maloney needs to try something different, can’t just keep doing the same thing and expecting different results.

RIP
20-03-2022, 11:21 PM
mathie took the credit for those two once they came good, he never claimed vega though, that was all on hecky, sure it was on the longbangers podcast he said it, maybe I read it somewhere else though.

like you said its always been like that.

Vega was a Lennon pick from Bolton

Haymaker
20-03-2022, 11:33 PM
I mean we could have picked up Griffiths and Cummings in January, that would have helped us attack and score goals.

FitbaFolkKen
21-03-2022, 12:21 AM

With 8 points from the last ten games and sitting 9th in the 10 game form table we won't be in that position for long.

I would have happily given JR longer, I certainly think he deserved the January window. 3rd was an excellent achievement. Have a look at our last twenty odd years. Outside of the two cups we won it is our most successful season. We were consistent across all competitions and made the finals in 2 of his last 3 cup competitions and the semi in the other. Yes, we didn't capitalise and win the cups, but we need to recognise that he got us there.

It is all very well if you prefer Maloney to Ross but you do not need to belittle his record, his stats stand up to scrutiny when compared to every manager we have ever had. You need to go back to Willie Macfarlane to find a manager with a better win rate in the top flight. That includes the 9 game horror run we were on that was enough to get Ross sacked.

I'm not impressed by Maloney so far, don't find the football entertaining, but I appreciate we are decimated with injury. I remain hopeful that Maloney will turn things round.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2022, 04:49 AM
Come on, Boyle scored all 3

So? Takes 11 guys to win a match. All of them played very well.

Since452
21-03-2022, 05:35 AM
With 8 points from the last ten games and sitting 9th in the 10 game form table we won't be in that position for long.

I would have happily given JR longer, I certainly think he deserved the January window. 3rd was an excellent achievement. Have a look at our last twenty odd years. Outside of the two cups we won it is our most successful season. We were consistent across all competitions and made the finals in 2 of his last 3 cup competitions and the semi in the other. Yes, we didn't capitalise and win the cups, but we need to recognise that he got us there.

It is all very well if you prefer Maloney to Ross but you do not need to belittle his record, his stats stand up to scrutiny when compared to every manager we have ever had. You need to go back to Willie Macfarlane to find a manager with a better win rate in the top flight. That includes the 9 game horror run we were on that was enough to get Ross sacked.

I'm not impressed by Maloney so far, don't find the football entertaining, but I appreciate we are decimated with injury. I remain hopeful that Maloney will turn things round.

Great post. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Since452
21-03-2022, 05:41 AM

You are correct. People did say that. It was people replying to those who bizarrely claimed they'd rather Hibs were mid table but playing swashbuckling attacking football than finishing 3rd.

Brizo
21-03-2022, 05:47 AM

Unfortunately like so many of the current generation of managers I think SM has a "philosophy" which means that he will try to fit them into a system that meets his vision, rather than a system that suits their strengths and capabilities.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2022, 06:00 AM
Unfortunately like so many of the current generation of managers I think SM has a "philosophy" which means that he will try to fit them into a system that meets his vision, rather than a system that suits their strengths and capabilities.

The thing is, it's only bad managers, or ones making mistakes who do this. It's not some modern manager thing.

Brenden Rodgers said he made this mistake at Watford. Thinking too far ahead and forgetting the present. He never did it again.

Hibee Mac
21-03-2022, 06:27 AM
I've been saying for weeks now that Maloney needs to be more pragmatic this season, change things up and get us the results we desperately need to get top 6 and 4th.

The only way I see it is that he is not maximising performance of the players at his disposal. That's his job

Since90+2
21-03-2022, 06:35 AM
The thing is, it's only bad managers, or ones making mistakes who do this. It's not some modern manager thing.

Brenden Rodgers said he made this mistake at Watford. Thinking too far ahead and forgetting the present. He never did it again.

Rodgers continued to do it far later in his career. The reason Celtic were regularly humped in the CL is because he refused to comprise on his play out from the back at all costs philosophy and attacking instincts, despite them not having the players to do that at that level.

JimBHibees
21-03-2022, 06:39 AM
Rodgers continued to do it far later in his career. The reason Celtic were regularly humped in the CL is because he refused to comprise on his play out from the back at all costs philosophy and attacking instincts, despite them not having the players to do that at the that level.

Good point however obviously also worked very well for them domestically. Don't really have an issue with how he wants us to play as some of it is good imo and good to see players brave enough to take the ball. Think it will help us in the longer term and our defensive side has been decent a couple of obvious games apart. We need better quality in some areas that is for sure.

Since90+2
21-03-2022, 06:46 AM
Good point however obviously also worked very well for them domestically. Don't really have an issue with how he wants us to play as some of it is good imo and good to see players brave enough to take the ball. Think it will help us in the longer term and our defensive side has been decent a couple of obvious games apart. We need better quality in some areas that is for sure.

Yip, Celtic had the best players in the league so that style of football would normally be successful against inferior teams.

However, he didn't compromise when the tables were turned and he was playing against far superior sides, so the posters claim that Rodgers never made the same mistakes after Watford is just wrong.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2022, 08:19 AM
Rodgers continued to do it far later in his career. The reason Celtic were regularly humped in the CL is because he refused to comprise on his play out from the back at all costs philosophy and attacking instincts, despite them not having the players to do that at that level.

That was the best way to play for the players he had. That's the point.

Nothing wrong with sticking with a winning strategy. It's sticking with a losing one that Maloney is doing.

Since90+2
21-03-2022, 08:21 AM
That was the best way to play for the players he had. That's the point.

Nothing wrong with sticking with a winning strategy. It's sticking with a losing one that Maloney is doing.

Well it clearly wasn't, when coming up against far better sides in Europe's top competition he should have adapted a more pragmatic approach, he never, hence why they ended up with results like 7-1 against PSG.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2022, 08:22 AM
Yip, Celtic had the best players in the league so that style of football would normally be successful against inferior teams.

However, he didn't compromise when the tables were turned and he was playing against far superior sides, so the posters claim that Rodgers never made the same mistakes after Watford is just wrong.

It's not wrong. Yes, it didn't always work, but it was best for the players he had. He wasn't planning years in advance and putting square pegs in round holes like our gaffer.

Phil MaGlass
21-03-2022, 08:55 AM
To be honest, the type of fitba were playing now is probably enough to see us in a relegation playoff. I know he has inherited a nightmare injury list, but still.

Carheenlea
21-03-2022, 09:05 AM
The mantra at the beginning from Shaun Maloney was about getting “overloads” in attacking areas with the style of football.

I’ll admit to only having very basic tactical knowledge about football and don’t spend a lot of time analysing it. I just want to see Hibs getting wired in all over the park and raining a good few shots in during a game.

When we see Nisbet ploughing a lone furrow with little opportunity to make much of a contribution and now similar with Melkersen, I’m not sure we are seeing these overloads whatever they are. Melkersen didn’t have too many chances last week at Fir Park but showed what damage he can do with the chances he took.

MWHIBBIES
21-03-2022, 09:07 AM
To be honest, the type of fitba were playing now is probably enough to see us in a relegation playoff. I know he has inherited a nightmare injury list, but still.

Dundee and Sj need title winning form to get anywhere near us. We're not going to be anywhere near relegation

Stevie Reid
21-03-2022, 09:46 AM
We kept getting told last season that 3rd place was all that matters. It was a huge achievement etc.

Let’s not move the goalposts now. We’re in a better place now than we were when Jack Ross left us. The league table doesn’t lie and all that.

I’m not moving any goalposts, I was happy with Ross. 3rd was an achievement - obviously - but there were many who stated that the league position didn’t matter, entertainment was key. A lower league position and playing more entertaining football was stated as preferable for many.

Funnily enough, occupying a lower league position whilst watching a team that can barely create a chance, score a goal or win a game wasn’t mentioned at all.

We’ve scored five goals (across three matches) in our last eleven league games - a whole round of fixtures. The last four of those have been an own goal, two strikes from outside the box (one world class, the other a good strike that should have been saved) and a complete fluke from Cadden.

It’s woeful and inexcusable, regardless of any mitigating circumstances.

J-C
21-03-2022, 10:03 AM

Gordon Strachan said he did this at Middlesbrough and never made that mistake again.