PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Aberdeen 19 03 2022)

Jonnyboy
19-03-2022, 09:00 PM
The 3-1 reversal against Aberdeen at Pittodrie has left me with mixed emotions. Pleased with some of the play and performances, disappointed at the defeat and anger at the costly refereeing decisions by Alan Muir but more of that later.

With Macey nursing an injury sustained at Fir Park there was a starting place for Kevin Dabrowski whilst Rocky Bushiri returned from suspension and replaced Ewan Henderson in the starting eleven. There was too, places on the bench for Paul Hanlon and Josh O’Connor.

A healthy number of Hibs fans had made the journey north and they would have been pleased with the way we started the game on the front foot. Inside the first minute, Joe Newell fouled Calvin Ramsey deep in the Aberdeen half and from the resultant free kick the ball was intercepted by Josh Campbell who was fouled by Connor McLennan. Soon after that, the ball reached Lewis Stevenson at the edge of the Aberdeen box, but his volleyed effort was blocked on its way to goal. Then, Sylvester Jasper pounced on a poor touch by Aberdeen keeper Joe Lewis but was fouled before he could turn and get a shot away. The delivery from the resultant free kick just cleared the head of a jumping Rocky Bushiri before flashing wide of Lewis’ back post.

At the other end, a deep cross from the right found McLennan unmarked at the back post but his header from close range was brilliantly saved by Dabrowski to deny the hosts a lead. There followed a period of play when both sides were looking to hit on the break but more often than not, such attacking intentions died as the result of niggly fouls by both sets of players. On the quarter hour, Joe Newell became the first player to see yellow for a tackle on Ferguson. Ironically, the Aberdeen man had already committed a few fouls himself but none, it seemed, worthy of a booking.

Around the twenty minute mark, Ferguson had a shot blocked and Hibs raced to the other end of the park. Chris Cadden swung in a delightful cross and Calvin Ramsey scored an own goal, knowing he had to play the ball as Doig was right behind him. Moments later, Ross McCrorie was booked for a bad challenge on Joe Newell before Ramsey and Bates were each penalised for fouls on Stevenson and Melkersen. Bates saw yellow as Hibs were on the front foot and Aberdeen were resorting to a succession of fouls to stop any forward progress.

The Dons then enjoyed a spell of possession and that ended with the awarding of a controversial penalty after Bushiri was adjudged to have handled the ball in the eighteen yard box. A fierce shot by Connor Barron struck Bushiri on the knee and then his arm. I am almost certain that if the ball strikes a part of the body before hitting the arm it is not a penalty, but referee Alan Muir thought otherwise, and Ferguson blasted the spot kick past Dabrowski to level the game.

The Dons had their tails up and enjoyed good possession for the remainder of the half and it was during this time that their number 10, Besuijen took to throwing himself to the ground at every opportunity, but referee Muir didn’t see fit to penalise him for it and he continued to do it unpunished for the rest of the game. Some call it diving; the official term is simulation but for my money the most accurate description is cheating.

Neither side made any half time changes and just as they had done in the first, Hibs started the second on the front foot with a good run from Drey Wright winning a corner. Then the two Connor’s, Barron and McLennan had attempts on goal with the first drawing a save from Dabrowski and the second flying wide of the target. A good old fashioned stramash in the Aberdeen box saw Bushiri header blocked only for Melkersen to pounce on the loose ball, but his shot was also blocked before reaching the target.

On the hour mark, Chris Mueller replaced Drey Wright, and the new man was immediately penalised for a foul on Lewis Ferguson. Moments later, Josh Campbell was booked and from the resultant free kick, a David Bates header crashed off the underside of the bar and as the ball fell, Ryan Porteous hooked it clear but in doing so brought down McCrorie. Alan Muir immediately pointed to the spot but then also produced a red card for Porteous. Again, I stand to be corrected but is it not the case that if a foul is committed but in that same instance an attempt is made to play the ball then it’s a yellow card and not a red. Clearly Ryan attempted to play the ball as he actually cleared it. Yes, it was a penalty but no it was not a red card offence. Lewis Ferguson scored from the spot to put the Dons 2-1 ahead and Hibs now had it all to do.

I confess that at that point I expected Shaun Maloney to bring on Paul Hanlon as a straight replacement in the centre of defence but, to his credit he did not do that and instead went with a back three of Cadden, Bushiri and Doig whilst keeping Jasper high up the park to support Melkersen.

I don’t shout a lot at football, as a rule, but I roared at referee Muir when Besuijen took an obvious ‘tumble’ with Stevenson in close attendance and referee Muir decided to book the Hibs man. It was a farcical decision but very much in keeping with most of the decisions he had made up until then.

Unsurprisingly, Aberdeen had the lions share of the ball now as Hibs were a man down, but it didn’t stop the visitors from trying to get back to level pegging. A Jasper effort drew a save from Lewis and then Josh Campbell stung the hands of the Aberdeen keeper with a fine left footed volley from twenty yards. A Bates header, following a corner, cleared the bar before McGeouch and Watkins came off the bench for the hosts and with ten minutes left, after Campbell had clearly been fouled and denied a free kick, Watkins flung a cross into the box and a spectacular volley on the turn by Besuijen flew past Dabrowski before he had a chance to move.

The writing was on the wall by now, but Maloney made three changes by replacing Stevenson, Newell and Melkersen with Hanlon, Henderson and O’Connor before the last named found himself some space on the left of the Aberdeen box but choked his shot wide from about fifteen yards. The last thing of note was a yellow card for Henderson for a challenge on Besuijen that bore a more than striking similarity to a foul by Gallagher on Campbell moments earlier but that one went unpunished.

The players

Dabrowski – A stunning save early in the game, but Kev had no chance with either penalty of the screamer from Besuijen.

Cadden – Chris gave his usual up and down the park performance and his cross that brought about the own goal was delivered into the danger area, causing the error by Ramsey. For his wholehearted, never say die performance he wins my man of the match award.

Bushiri – There are times when he looks less than comfortable with the ball at his feet but overall, I thought he defended well.

Porteous – I will be absolutely stunned if Hibs don’t appeal that red card and even more stunned if they do and the appeal is rejected. I’ve steered clear of the marked man talk but am now firmly in that camp. I honestly believe that if that challenge had been made by Bushiri or Doig it would have been a yellow card.

Doig – Josh was excellent today, especially up against that imposter Besuijen who, frankly, deserved a yellow card for his blatant cheating.

Campbell – Josh got a few things wrong today, but he also got a few things right. Sadly, I suspect only the few wrong things will be debated at length. In truth, he and his fellow midfielders were given the run around at times by Lewis Ferguson.

Newell – Joe was fired up today and I worried that he might see red if he let his emotions get the better of him. You could see how angry the red card decision made him. In terms of his performance, he too struggled a bit against Ferguson.

Stevenson – Over the course of the ninety minutes, Lewis seemed to pop up in all sorts of places where he rarely missed a tackle or pass.

Wright – I gave Drey my man of the match against Motherwell and for the first half hour today I thought he might reach those heights again but sadly not.

Melkersen – Had a tough job on his hands facing both Gallagher and Bates but at times his movement was good if missed by a team mate with the ball.

Jasper – Had a really good first half but was posted absent a few times in the second. I like the laddie though and find him a joy to watch when he’s on it.

Mueller – Chris never really got going today.

Hanlon – I’m just pleased to see him back.

Henderson – See Mueller

O’Connor - See Mueller

Shaun Maloney – I suspect he was somewhat perturbed by two major decisions that cost us two goals.

Referee – Alan Muir was shocking and only the swear filter and the fact this is a family board are stopping me from saying how I really feel about his performance.

Eyrie
19-03-2022, 09:17 PM
An accurate and honest report, as usual.

The red card was the wrong decision but since it was Porteous we can expect that the appeal will be rejected.

He's here!
19-03-2022, 10:18 PM
Good report. You'd get the impression from some after-match posts that we were awful today. We weren't. Sure, we lack firepower but as you say the game hinged on a couple of erroneous refereeing decisions.

Ronniekirk
19-03-2022, 10:19 PM
I thought we didn’t take confidence from the goal and too many passes were telegraphed s as d intercepted at times
Stevenson had two shots from outside the box today we need more players trying to do something different
Ref already apologised as first shouldn’t of been a pen
Porto s red should be overturned if not he is defo being singled out
I just don’t see how things are going to change We now have to start after the break integrating players who have been injured into the team but trying to find a way to win games with a young striker who will produce If can create chances for him
We need to beat United Draw with Hearts and then beat them in the Cup to make the end of the season meaningful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheMentalHibees
20-03-2022, 01:07 AM
We’re at the stage now where referees see Ryan’s face after a challenge and they’re ready to brandish a card. Anyone else makes that tackle and it’s not a red. Disappointing but not unexpected for the Hun vigilantes masquerading as referees.

USAHibee
20-03-2022, 01:15 AM
Never a sending off....Ryan needs to escape Scottish football for his own sake...
Lewis and Doig were fantastic today,

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2022, 07:12 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

I watched the game on Red TV with my green specs on and funny how I never see HIBS as deliberately wasting time, fouling at every turn and Porto as the pantomime villain

I have never ever considered Aberdeen as the good guys

One common theme of your recent reports JB apart from Porto’s rushes of blood to the head is the very poor standard of Scottish refereeing

No excuses though we were poor

Excellent work

JXM73
20-03-2022, 07:25 AM
Completely different game report to the matchday thread..

JimBHibees
20-03-2022, 07:33 AM
We’re at the stage now where referees see Ryan’s face after a challenge and they’re ready to brandish a card. Anyone else makes that tackle and it’s not a red. Disappointing but not unexpected for the Hun vigilantes masquerading as referees.

Agree so they can brag to their mates at ref trainzing how they done him over.

JimBHibees
20-03-2022, 07:35 AM
Good report. You'd get the impression from some after-match posts that we were awful today. We weren't. Sure, we lack firepower but as you say the game hinged on a couple of erroneous refereeing decisions.

We clearly weren't awful and were comfortable until the pen then obviously the second and red massively changes the game. Seems like a double punishment pen and red.

Arch Stanton
20-03-2022, 09:53 AM
We clearly weren't awful and were comfortable until the pen then obviously the second and red massively changes the game. Seems like a double punishment pen and red.

It certainly is a double punishment and I thought they had stopped doing that!

GreenCastle
20-03-2022, 10:05 AM

We were fine till the penalty.

We were doing enough to be competitive but not exactly creating much.

After we went 1-0 up we had to push on for a 2nd goal. We didn’t.

After the penalty was scored it was Aberdeen who were the team who were going onto win that game.

We don’t create enough - have enough leadership or play with enough urgency. All quite simple things but rewind a few years ago and similar issues. Some of passing reminds me of the Liam Craig / Tudor Jones days - just safe and simple or just non effective.

We supposedly still have the Boyle money to spend - my worry is we waste it bringing in a dud or a player that we don’t get best out of. Melkersen is a player but no service and he’s non existent.

mokie
20-03-2022, 10:06 AM
it was a red card all day. he went into a challenge he was never to win. If it was an Aberdeen player then we would've all been screaming for a red card.. He totally wiped the Aberdeen player out.. Talk about having your green tinted specs on Johnny..

Hermit Crab
20-03-2022, 10:08 AM
2 stonewall penalties and a stick on red card. No way thats getting overturned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRukfSMl7M

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 10:19 AM
Just reading through your individual summary of the defensive players would give the impression that we defended well but, as a unit, I thought we were abysmal.

They got a break with the first penalty but it came from a period of a couple minutes where we couldn’t get out and let them cross the ball in three or four times from each side. The second penalty we give a free header from six yards then have them queuing up for the rebound. And for the third, the less said about Stevenson trying to stop the boy out wide, the better.

Hermit Crab
20-03-2022, 10:23 AM
Just reading through your individual summary of the defensive players would give the impression that we defended well but, as a unit, I thought we were abysmal.

They got a break with the first penalty but it came from a period of a couple minutes where we couldn’t get out and let them cross the ball in three or four times from each side. The second penalty we give a free header from six yards then have them queuing up for the rebound. And for the third, the less said about Stevenson trying to stop the boy out wide, the better.

Good point but for the third goal we were stretched and tired at that point being a man down. Could have been better but the game was gone by then anyway.

A Hi-Bee
20-03-2022, 10:38 AM
Well said Johnnyboy, glad you pointed out that wee cheat with number 10 on his back I noted same on the match day thread, also good to see you have the same thoughts on the ref and his clown decisions, same as most Hibs supporters and our own Manager.
:thumbsup:

ahibby
20-03-2022, 10:40 AM
2 stonewall penalties and a stick on red card. No way thats getting overturned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRukfSMl7M

Dont think its as clear as that mighr be construed as their player coming across a clearance. He didnt possess the ball and Porto was first to it. Having said that I wouldnt be surprised if the appeal is turned down.

jacomo
20-03-2022, 11:11 AM
Why aren’t we playing Mueller and Henderson from the start?

This is ringing an alarm bell for me - we aren’t creating enough and yet two recent attacking signings aren’t making the starting 11.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 11:14 AM

This is ringing an alarm bell for me - we aren’t creating enough and yet two recent attacking signings aren’t making the starting 11.

Neither of them have done anywhere near enough for me. I’d still play one of them ahead of Drey Wright but it’s another couple of players who have come in and not really made any impact.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 11:39 AM

Henderson hasn’t offered anything to get a start imo. He’s looked a really poor signing so far.

Mueller seems to offer a little bit more but he isn’t offering nearly as much as I’d hoped.

Ronniekirk
20-03-2022, 11:39 AM

Fir various reasons Niether can play a full 90 minutes so probably didn’t want to start with them Muller did very little when he came on
Henderson fir me needs a good preseason snd needs to bulk up a bit before we can see the benefit of his obvious technical ability snd he needs to be able to add goals to his game

Ronniekirk
20-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Henderson hasn’t offered anything to get a start imo. He’s looked a really poor signing so far.

Mueller seems to offer a little bit more but he isn’t offering nearly as much as I’d hoped.

The worry re Henderson is Maloney made a big deal when he signed taking about him playing the No 10 role and being central to the way he wants the team to play

brog
20-03-2022, 01:23 PM
I thought we didn’t take confidence from the goal and too many passes were telegraphed s as d intercepted at times
Stevenson had two shots from outside the box today we need more players trying to do something different
Ref already apologised as first shouldn’t of been a pen
Porto s red should be overturned if not he is defo being singled out
I just don’t see how things are going to change We now have to start after the break integrating players who have been injured into the team but trying to find a way to win games with a young striker who will produce If can create chances for him
We need to beat United Draw with Hearts and then beat them in the Cup to make the end of the season meaningful

Is that true about ref apologising? I haven't seen that. That's good if true but Alan Muir should never have reffed again after our Falkirk play off game. I really don't get criticism of Porto for the 2nd goal. If we have to be critical then let's start with Josh C giving away a daft and unnecessary foul. Worst of all though was Rocky who was actually ducking as the free kick came in and never got one foot off the ground as his man headed against the bar. Porto was the only Hibs player alert to the rebound and his reaction was instinctive.
One final point, the incompetent that is Muir was giving the pen but no more until Ferguson ran over and reminded him to give a red card. Muir duly obliged and I'm confident the balanced Scottish media will be as critical of Ferguson as they have been of Porto.

B.H.F.C
20-03-2022, 02:07 PM
Is that true about ref apologising? I haven't seen that. That's good if true but Alan Muir should never have reffed again after our Falkirk play off game. I really don't get criticism of Porto for the 2nd goal. If we have to be critical then let's start with Josh C giving away a daft and unnecessary foul. Worst of all though was Rocky who was actually ducking as the free kick came in and never got one foot off the ground as his man headed against the bar. Porto was the only Hibs player alert to the rebound and his reaction was instinctive.
One final point, the incompetent that is Muir was giving the pen but no more until Ferguson ran over and reminded him to give a red card. Muir duly obliged and I'm confident the balanced Scottish media will be as critical of Ferguson as they have been of Porto.

Rocky can’t time his jumps. There was another one in the second half that he just totally misjudged, under no real pressure. First noticed it at Arbroath where, being so close to him with the ground there, it was really apparent.

mokie
20-03-2022, 02:44 PM
The 3-1 reversal against Aberdeen at Pittodrie has left me with mixed emotions. Pleased with some of the play and performances, disappointed at the defeat and anger at the costly refereeing decisions by Alan Muir but more of that later.

With Macey nursing an injury sustained at Fir Park there was a starting place for Kevin Dabrowski whilst Rocky Bushiri returned from suspension and replaced Ewan Henderson in the starting eleven. There was too, places on the bench for Paul Hanlon and Josh O’Connor.

A healthy number of Hibs fans had made the journey north and they would have been pleased with the way we started the game on the front foot. Inside the first minute, Joe Newell fouled Calvin Ramsey deep in the Aberdeen half and from the resultant free kick the ball was intercepted by Josh Campbell who was fouled by Connor McLennan. Soon after that, the ball reached Lewis Stevenson at the edge of the Aberdeen box, but his volleyed effort was blocked on its way to goal. Then, Sylvester Jasper pounced on a poor touch by Aberdeen keeper Joe Lewis but was fouled before he could turn and get a shot away. The delivery from the resultant free kick just cleared the head of a jumping Rocky Bushiri before flashing wide of Lewis’ back post.

At the other end, a deep cross from the right found McLennan unmarked at the back post but his header from close range was brilliantly saved by Dabrowski to deny the hosts a lead. There followed a period of play when both sides were looking to hit on the break but more often than not, such attacking intentions died as the result of niggly fouls by both sets of players. On the quarter hour, Joe Newell became the first player to see yellow for a tackle on Ferguson. Ironically, the Aberdeen man had already committed a few fouls himself but none, it seemed, worthy of a booking.

Around the twenty minute mark, Ferguson had a shot blocked and Hibs raced to the other end of the park. Chris Cadden swung in a delightful cross and Calvin Ramsey scored an own goal, knowing he had to play the ball as Doig was right behind him. Moments later, Ross McCrorie was booked for a bad challenge on Joe Newell before Ramsey and Bates were each penalised for fouls on Stevenson and Melkersen. Bates saw yellow as Hibs were on the front foot and Aberdeen were resorting to a succession of fouls to stop any forward progress.

The Dons then enjoyed a spell of possession and that ended with the awarding of a controversial penalty after Bushiri was adjudged to have handled the ball in the eighteen yard box. A fierce shot by Connor Barron struck Bushiri on the knee and then his arm. I am almost certain that if the ball strikes a part of the body before hitting the arm it is not a penalty, but referee Alan Muir thought otherwise, and Ferguson blasted the spot kick past Dabrowski to level the game.

The Dons had their tails up and enjoyed good possession for the remainder of the half and it was during this time that their number 10, Besuijen took to throwing himself to the ground at every opportunity, but referee Muir didn’t see fit to penalise him for it and he continued to do it unpunished for the rest of the game. Some call it diving; the official term is simulation but for my money the most accurate description is cheating.

Neither side made any half time changes and just as they had done in the first, Hibs started the second on the front foot with a good run from Drey Wright winning a corner. Then the two Connor’s, Barron and McLennan had attempts on goal with the first drawing a save from Dabrowski and the second flying wide of the target. A good old fashioned stramash in the Aberdeen box saw Bushiri header blocked only for Melkersen to pounce on the loose ball, but his shot was also blocked before reaching the target.

On the hour mark, Chris Mueller replaced Drey Wright, and the new man was immediately penalised for a foul on Lewis Ferguson. Moments later, Josh Campbell was booked and from the resultant free kick, a David Bates header crashed off the underside of the bar and as the ball fell, Ryan Porteous hooked it clear but in doing so brought down McCrorie. Alan Muir immediately pointed to the spot but then also produced a red card for Porteous. Again, I stand to be corrected but is it not the case that if a foul is committed but in that same instance an attempt is made to play the ball then it’s a yellow card and not a red. Clearly Ryan attempted to play the ball as he actually cleared it. Yes, it was a penalty but no it was not a red card offence. Lewis Ferguson scored from the spot to put the Dons 2-1 ahead and Hibs now had it all to do.

I confess that at that point I expected Shaun Maloney to bring on Paul Hanlon as a straight replacement in the centre of defence but, to his credit he did not do that and instead went with a back three of Cadden, Bushiri and Doig whilst keeping Jasper high up the park to support Melkersen.

I don’t shout a lot at football, as a rule, but I roared at referee Muir when Besuijen took an obvious ‘tumble’ with Stevenson in close attendance and referee Muir decided to book the Hibs man. It was a farcical decision but very much in keeping with most of the decisions he had made up until then.

Unsurprisingly, Aberdeen had the lions share of the ball now as Hibs were a man down, but it didn’t stop the visitors from trying to get back to level pegging. A Jasper effort drew a save from Lewis and then Josh Campbell stung the hands of the Aberdeen keeper with a fine left footed volley from twenty yards. A Bates header, following a corner, cleared the bar before McGeouch and Watkins came off the bench for the hosts and with ten minutes left, after Campbell had clearly been fouled and denied a free kick, Watkins flung a cross into the box and a spectacular volley on the turn by Besuijen flew past Dabrowski before he had a chance to move.

The writing was on the wall by now, but Maloney made three changes by replacing Stevenson, Newell and Melkersen with Hanlon, Henderson and O’Connor before the last named found himself some space on the left of the Aberdeen box but choked his shot wide from about fifteen yards. The last thing of note was a yellow card for Henderson for a challenge on Besuijen that bore a more than striking similarity to a foul by Gallagher on Campbell moments earlier but that one went unpunished.

The players

Dabrowski – A stunning save early in the game, but Kev had no chance with either penalty of the screamer from Besuijen.

Cadden – Chris gave his usual up and down the park performance and his cross that brought about the own goal was delivered into the danger area, causing the error by Ramsey. For his wholehearted, never say die performance he wins my man of the match award.

Bushiri – There are times when he looks less than comfortable with the ball at his feet but overall, I thought he defended well.

Porteous – I will be absolutely stunned if Hibs don’t appeal that red card and even more stunned if they do and the appeal is rejected. I’ve steered clear of the marked man talk but am now firmly in that camp. I honestly believe that if that challenge had been made by Bushiri or Doig it would have been a yellow card.

Doig – Josh was excellent today, especially up against that imposter Besuijen who, frankly, deserved a yellow card for his blatant cheating.

Campbell – Josh got a few things wrong today, but he also got a few things right. Sadly, I suspect only the few wrong things will be debated at length. In truth, he and his fellow midfielders were given the run around at times by Lewis Ferguson.

Newell – Joe was fired up today and I worried that he might see red if he let his emotions get the better of him. You could see how angry the red card decision made him. In terms of his performance, he too struggled a bit against Ferguson.

Stevenson – Over the course of the ninety minutes, Lewis seemed to pop up in all sorts of places where he rarely missed a tackle or pass.

Wright – I gave Drey my man of the match against Motherwell and for the first half hour today I thought he might reach those heights again but sadly not.

Melkersen – Had a tough job on his hands facing both Gallagher and Bates but at times his movement was good if missed by a team mate with the ball.

Jasper – Had a really good first half but was posted absent a few times in the second. I like the laddie though and find him a joy to watch when he’s on it.

Henderson – See Mueller

O’Connor - See Mueller

Shaun Maloney – I suspect he was somewhat perturbed by two major decisions that cost us two goals.

Referee – Alan Muir was shocking and only the swear filter and the fact this is a family board are stopping me from saying how I really feel about his performance.

Just noticed you said that Lewis never missed a tackle all day. What about his attempt to tackle the Aberdeen player and stop the cross for the third goal ??

Bridge hibs
20-03-2022, 02:49 PM
Just noticed you said that Lewis never missed a tackle all day. What about his attempt to tackle the Aberdeen player and stop the cross for the third goal ??He said rarely, he didnt say never missed a tackle, at least if you are going to continue having a pop at the guy try reading what he actually posted 🤣

mokie
20-03-2022, 02:51 PM
He said rarely, he didnt say never missed a tackle, at least if you are going to continue having a pop at the guy try reading what he actually posted 🤣

Can’t he answer for himself ??

Bridge hibs
20-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Can’t he answer for himself ??Im pointing out your error, its a discussion board, I dont need your permission 👍

mokie
20-03-2022, 02:55 PM
Im pointing out your error, its a discussion board, I dont need your permission 👍

That doesn’t answer my question though does it ???

Bridge hibs
20-03-2022, 03:00 PM
That doesn’t answer my question though does it ???He said rarely, he didnt say never, theres your answer, you quoted his post but you made a **** of it really

Eyrie
20-03-2022, 03:04 PM
Just noticed you said that Lewis never missed a tackle all day. What about his attempt to tackle the Aberdeen player and stop the cross for the third goal ??

Stevenson was on a booking already after one of Besuijen's many dives, so he had to be very careful there or we'd have been down to nine men.

mokie
20-03-2022, 03:16 PM
He said rarely, he didnt say never, theres your answer, you quoted his post but you made a **** of it really

in all respect , I didn’t ask you the question , therefore your input wasn’t asked for.

Bridge hibs
20-03-2022, 03:22 PM
in all respect , I didn’t ask you the question , therefore your input wasn’t asked for.In all respect, its a public discussion forum and Im discussing

stantonhibby
20-03-2022, 03:24 PM
in all respect , I didn’t ask you the question , therefore your input wasn’t asked for.

The answer would be the same though, so not sure what point you're trying to make.

Highwayman
20-03-2022, 04:03 PM
Good report as always JB.
Shaun Maloney has inherited the same problem that contributed to Jack Ross’s dismissal.
That is he can’t trust or rely on the majority of players to provide him with consistent displays.
IMO the only players he can currently rely on are the two keepers,Chris Cadden and Lewis Stevenson (who is only in the team because of the current injury problems).
As for the rest of them nobody has a clue as to what we are going to get from game to game.
I view the rest of the season more in hope than expectation.

Jones28
20-03-2022, 04:32 PM
The answer would be the same though, so not sure what point you're trying to make.

That he wanted an answer from the author of a post on a public forum where the author probably didn’t ask for his question.

Or something.

Ronniekirk
20-03-2022, 04:34 PM
Rocky can’t time his jumps. There was another one in the second half that he just totally misjudged, under no real pressure. First noticed it at Arbroath where, being so close to him with the ground there, it was really apparent.

He was really poor in tbe air at time s v Arbroath and it’s not improving Could be that Maloney won’t keep him goi g firward unless he starts improving in the aspect of his game

PeeJay
20-03-2022, 04:50 PM
Always enjoy reading your report JC - disagree with you about the penalties: the first one, seems to me that the ball only hits Rocky once (on his arm), it's deflected by Campbell's heel, the second penalty, Porto just completely floors the Aberdeen player and hardly touches the ball IF AT ALL, think Cadden actually clears it in the end, Newell got his yellow for persistent fouling IMO, think Stevenson got the yellow for tackling after the whistle had blown ?? ... so no refereeing errors there IMO: As to Maloney I think we need to stop blaming the referee for our own lack of discipline and basic mistakes ... he should be getting more from these players

Eyrie
20-03-2022, 06:13 PM

With equal respect, this is a pubic message board for people to share opinions, so my input is every bit as welcome as yours which I am asking for.

Why do you think Stevenson didn't make that challenge?

mokie
20-03-2022, 06:32 PM
With equal respect, this is a pubic message board for people to share opinions, so my input is every bit as welcome as yours which I am asking for.

Why do you think Stevenson didn't make that challenge?

quite frankly because the boy sold him a kipper. Hopeless from Stevenson being perfectly honest.

brog
20-03-2022, 06:33 PM
He was really poor in tbe air at time s v Arbroath and it’s not improving Could be that Maloney won’t keep him goi g firward unless he starts improving in the aspect of his game

I agree about Arbroath though I cut him some slack with the wind. i commented at the time that Arbroath obviously targeted him. He also lost his man for the Livi goal from the long throw. For a big guy he's Tony Higginsesque in the air unfortunately.

Alfred E Newman
20-03-2022, 06:39 PM

Other than being a big guy, he looks very ordinary to me and very poor in the air.

Stubbsy90+2
20-03-2022, 06:42 PM
Other than being a big guy, he looks very ordinary to me and very poor in the air.

Yup.

I wouldn’t have him in the team.

Unfortunately Porteous has now got himself suspended yet again so we’ve no real option but to play him.

Jonnyboy
20-03-2022, 06:48 PM
I've been reading these responses during the day but only on my phone which doesn't allow me to multi quote so apologies for not responding sooner.

That was my take too, Jim

it was a red card all day. he went into a challenge he was never to win. If it was an Aberdeen player then we would've all been screaming for a red card.. He totally wiped the Aberdeen player out.. Talk about having your green tinted specs on Johnny..

I had hoped the last time we exchanged views that it would have sunk in that "This is how it feels" is an opinion piece. There are facts included but I offer my own views on some aspects of the game. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, God forbid but I make no apologies, as a Hibs fan, for occasionally looking at things through green tinted spectacles

Those are your opinions which I respect 100%, I just don't agree with them :greengrin

That doesn’t answer my question though does it ???

With respect, I didn't, I said hardly not never. You're like a dug wi' a bone gut given that you want me to answer regarding his failure to stop the cross for the third goal - here's my opinion. Campbell was fouled in the lead up and Muir didn't give it, allowing Watkins free space on their right. Lewis, already on a booking tried to get out to the Aberdeen man but the cross was delivered early hence his 'failure' to cut it out

Hopefully, all point raised now responded too :aok:

brog
20-03-2022, 07:00 PM
I've been reading these responses during the day but only on my phone which doesn't allow me to multi quote so apologies for not responding sooner.

I had hoped the last time we exchanged views that it would have sunk in that "This is how it feels" is an opinion piece. There are facts included but I offer my own views on some aspects of the game. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, God forbid but I make no apologies, as a Hibs fan, for occasionally looking at things through green tinted spectacles

Those are your opinions which I respect 100%, I just don't agree with them :greengrin

With respect, I didn't, I said hardly not never. You're like a dug wi' a bone gut given that you want me to answer regarding his failure to stop the cross for the third goal - here's my opinion. Campbell was fouled in the lead up and Muir didn't give it, allowing Watkins free space on their right. Lewis, already on a booking tried to get out to the Aberdeen man but the cross was delivered early hence his 'failure' to cut it out

Your replies are even better than your original report John!! Well done!

Lago
20-03-2022, 07:02 PM
Can't you admit that you are wrong?

mokie
20-03-2022, 07:12 PM

in all fairness , the boy went past Lewis as if he wasn’t even there. Lewis’s challenge was to put both his hands on his shoulders as he ran past him. Pretty poor from him being perfectly honest but stopping crosses hasn’t been his strong point over the years has it ???

Jonnyboy
20-03-2022, 07:21 PM
in all fairness , the boy went past Lewis as if he wasn’t even there. Lewis’s challenge was to put both his hands on his shoulders as he ran past him. Pretty poor from him being perfectly honest but stopping crosses hasn’t been his strong point over the years has it ???

Once again, you are like a dog with a bone. I’ve offered my opinion on the lead up to the third goal but as it doesn’t meet your approval you just keep asking again!

A Hi-Bee
20-03-2022, 07:24 PM
:troll:

joebakerforever
20-03-2022, 07:29 PM
I've been at games where I believed crucial decisions have been against Hibs, only for to later see on tv that the ref got it right.

Re the two penalties, the tv replays showed that the ball ricocheted off Bushiri's leg onto his arm and was therefore not a pen., although in real time it happened so fast as to appear to miss the deflection. However the other replay confirmed that Ryan cleaned out McCrorie with a high tackle when going for the ball, so it's hard to argue with a red card being given.

The quicker we get VAR in place & it's properly applied, hopefully this would reduce the number of wrong decisions being made in the penalty area in the SPL.

mokie
20-03-2022, 07:30 PM
Once again, you are like a dog with a bone. I’ve offered my opinion on the lead up to the third goal but as it doesn’t meet your approval you just keep asking again!

QUOTE]

im not being difficult but your opinion is totally different to what actually happened. Stevenson was already on the scene and the Aberdeen man coasted past him and then the cross came in. It was a 2 v 2 on the touch line.

mokie
20-03-2022, 07:31 PM
:troll:

Yum yum.

judas
20-03-2022, 07:32 PM

This.

I would add that I love ‘This Is How It Feels’ but it’s amazing the good crit our players seem to get, even when losing.

brog
20-03-2022, 07:41 PM
On the subject of our officials I'm surprised that there wasn't more attention paid to the shocker last week. The lino flagged for offside against Doidge when he was in his own half! Even by Scottish standards that was horrendous!

Baldy Foghorn
20-03-2022, 07:46 PM
I thought Lewis tried to push their player at 3rd, but missed, then couldn't get to him to stop cross, could be another passage of play, as I've only seen it at game, no replays seen as yet

mokie
20-03-2022, 07:51 PM
I thought Lewis tried to push their player at 3rd, but missed, then couldn't get to him to stop cross, could be another passage of play, as I've only seen it at game, no replays seen as yet

have a look at the highlights and see what you think.

Jonnyboy
20-03-2022, 07:55 PM
QUOTE]

im not being difficult but your opinion is totally different to what actually happened. Stevenson was already on the scene and the Aberdeen man coasted past him and then the cross came in. It was a 2 v 2 on the touch line.

Let me try and enlighten you as to how "This is how it feels" comes about.

I go to the games, watch them and return home to write it up not having seen any of the action other than when it actually occurred. I don't read match reports and I don't log on here to read the views of others.

Now, bearing that in mind I'll say again that this is an opinion piece and not meant as any sort of 100% precise record of what I've watched.

It may or may not surprise you to learn that only tonight I've watched the highlights for the first time. Yes, Lewis could have done better and his attempt to stop the progress of Watkins was poor but perhaps done in the knowledge that he was already on a yellow? Only Lewis knows the answer to that.

brog
20-03-2022, 08:06 PM

I go to the games, watch them and return home to write it up not having seen any of the action other than when it actually occurred. I don't read match reports and I don't log on here to read the views of others.

Now, bearing that in mind I'll say again that this is an opinion piece and not meant as any sort of 100% precise record of what I've watched.

It may or may not surprise you to learn that only tonight I've watched the highlights for the first time. Yes, Lewis could have done better and his attempt to stop the progress of Watkins was poor but perhaps done in the knowledge that he was already on a yellow? Only Lewis knows the answer to that.

Well, only Lewis and Mokie! 😁

mokie
20-03-2022, 08:09 PM

Thanks for that. Everydays a school day. :aok::aok::aok:

Allant1981
21-03-2022, 05:51 AM
Can't you admit that you are wrong?

The poster is a clown, best sticking on ignore

Libby Hibby
21-03-2022, 06:00 AM

A clown or a jambo, perhaps both

I'm Spartacus
21-03-2022, 09:30 AM
I really cannot get my head round people saying it's not a red card, strip the colours and badges from both teams, take the names off the back and look at this as a totally neutral incident.

"He has tried to play the ball" - WTF? Who cannot see that there's an opposition player that would need sliced in 2 for him to get to that ball, and he did slice him in 2, and from behind.

"It's never a red card, only a yellow" - Porto has denied a goal scoring opportunity. That cannot be debated.

"He tried to play the ball" "It's because it's Porto, he needs to leave the country" - GIVE IT A BREAK GUYS.

There's no way Ryan Porteous could have cleared that ball without bringing down the player. My only observation on Ryan would be he needs to start making better decisions, in and away from football.

Unreal player, of that there is no doubt.

Stubbsy90+2
21-03-2022, 09:34 AM
I really cannot get my head round people saying it's not a red card, strip the colours and badges from both teams, take the names off the back and look at this as a totally neutral incident.

"He has tried to play the ball" - WTF? Who cannot see that there's an opposition player that would need sliced in 2 for him to get to that ball, and he did slice him in 2, and from behind.

"It's never a red card, only a yellow" - Porto has denied a goal scoring opportunity. That cannot be debated.

"He tried to play the ball" "It's because it's Porto, he needs to leave the country" - GIVE IT A BREAK GUYS.

There's no way Ryan Porteous could have cleared that ball without bringing down the player. My only observation on Ryan would be he needs to start making better decisions, in and away from football.

:agree:

It’s a red all day every day and I’d be absolutely furious if a team got away with it against us.

He also goes with his right leg around the right side of the players body whilst standing directly behind him. The ball is on the left hand side of the Aberdeen players body. He’s not a contortionist. The only possible outcome from that tackle was wiping the man out.

He had absolutely zero chance of winning the ball cleanly with the tackle he put in. That’s not a genuine attempt to win the ball.

brog
21-03-2022, 10:32 AM

Unless you're Lewis Ferguson who says today that Porto tried to play the ball. What would he know though.

I'm Spartacus
21-03-2022, 10:36 AM
Unless you're Lewis Ferguson who says today that Porto tried to play the ball. What would he know though.

“I was obviously shouting for a straight red. That’s just part and parcel of it. He probably does go for the ball but he does wipe out Ross right in front of goal."

Lewis Ferguson, March 2022

mokie
21-03-2022, 11:11 AM

Aw just when I thought you and me were starting to form a beautiful friendship as well... :wink:

This forum can be a circus at times so no surprise you find a few clowns eh :aok::aok::aok:

mokie
21-03-2022, 11:14 AM
A clown or a jambo, perhaps both

That old chestnut again... :blah::blah::blah:

Scouse Hibee
21-03-2022, 12:42 PM

The players

Henderson – See Mueller

O’Connor - See Mueller

Another great read Sir. Thank you for your time and effort, I rarely comment after reading your posts but always find them a great help as I don’t make many matches lately.

Jonnyboy
21-03-2022, 02:18 PM
An other great read Sir. Thank you for your time and effort, I rarely comment after reading your posts but always find them a great help as I don’t make many matches lately.

You’re more than welcome, Scouse

bigwheel
21-03-2022, 04:32 PM
It’s still my favourite thread each week this ..Enjoy JBs views on the game …rarely read the match threads as most often at the game ..this is a good way of reflecting on the match itself …keep up the great work [emoji106][emoji106]

JimBHibees
21-03-2022, 09:45 PM
Agree my favourite thread of the week a balanced and excellent summary of the game which is always spot on with my thinking also. :thumbsup: