PDA

View Full Version : Souness Game 86/87

Potty78
09-03-2022, 04:18 PM
I was bored last night so decided to watch this game on YouTube. What's everyone's memory of the game? McCoist should have walked and Butcher too. Looked a brutal game with a great result in the end.

stantonhibby
09-03-2022, 04:24 PM
I was bored last night so decided to watch this game on YouTube. What's everyone's memory of the game? McCoist should have walked and Butcher too. Looked a brutal game with a great result in the end.

First game of the season (I think). Was a roasting hot day, atmosphere in the east terracing was crazy.

Ringothedog
09-03-2022, 05:13 PM

McCoist was a sneaky bar steward, hitting someone from behind and then basically running away. Hated him then and even more after that game. The atmosphere was incredible one of the best I have been fortunate enough to have been at.

Devonhibs
09-03-2022, 05:16 PM
The atmosphere was mental that day

Killiehibbie
09-03-2022, 05:16 PM
What a waste of money was the best chant of the day.
We deservedly beat the thugs. Souness should never have played again. McCoist shown up as the snidey wee coward that he is.

H18S NX
09-03-2022, 05:17 PM
McCoist was a sneaky bar steward, hitting someone from behind and then basically running away. Hated him then and even more after that game. The atmosphere was incredible one of the best I have been fortunate enough to have been at. McCoist doing his hit and run,the coward.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2022, 05:23 PM
What was the official crowd that day

Jonnyboy
09-03-2022, 05:28 PM

Get yourself Colin Leslie's book "From Bestie to Beastie to Belgium" Full chapter devoted to this game in all its gory detail and a few quotes from some of the participants!

As others have said, that cheeky chappie Ally McCoist proved that despite the jokey exterior he was a thug on that day!

Iggy Pope
09-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Get yourself Colin Leslie's book "From Bestie to Beastie to Belgium" Full chapter devoted to this game in all its gory detail and a few quotes from some of the participants!

As others have said, that cheeky chappie Ally McCoist proved that despite the jokey exterior he was a thug on that day!

A cowardly one at that. As has been noted!

WoreTheGreen
09-03-2022, 05:32 PM
Mark Fulton on the receiving end of the sucker punch?

pollution
09-03-2022, 05:49 PM
What was the official crowd that day

IIRC 25680. Could be wrong.....

DIXIHIBS
09-03-2022, 05:58 PM

One of the best atmospheres ive been in at ER. I was in my early 20s at the time and the east was absolutely bouncing. The huns had spent millions buying english internationals and the hibees turned them over...brilliant. Sleekit mcoist punching mark fulton from behind then running away. The place erupted when souness got sent off. A million miles away from the sterile atmosphere at games nowadays.

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2022, 05:59 PM
What a waste of money !

Not the first and not the last Billy Big Times to come up to Scotland thinking it would be a walk in the park and being taken unawares by the pace, physicality and intensity of our game

Welcome to Scotland

Pretty sure Beastie’s and Mark Fulton’s yellows were rescinded

Not sure about Roughie tho he was sunbathing at the time

Cowardly attack by Souness by the way

BS44
09-03-2022, 06:01 PM
Mark Fulton on the receiving end of the sucker punch?

Yeah, it was Fulton who got clobbered.

davy67 +
09-03-2022, 06:06 PM
I was there , Souness's assault on McCluskey happened right in front of were I was standing. A real piece of thuggery he should've been banned for far longer. I remember Roughie saying he didn't get involved in the melle that happened because he couldn't be bothered to run that far :tee hee::tee hee:

Mick O'Rourke
09-03-2022, 06:23 PM
First game of the season (I think). Was a roasting hot day, atmosphere in the east terracing was crazy.

Yes it was the season opener, Billy
We use the word "toxic" a lot these days.
The atmosphere that day was certainly that.
Souness knew exactly what he did and he meant it .That lifted the tone on the terraces
Souness and his rangers teams were not strangers to on pitch violence .
And added to tension outside too.. with fans battling.
Some of the Old Firm games were wars.Sending offs not rare.
Recall players ending up in courts for pitch violence after one Old Firm match.

..Souness was a mental case(see what he did in Istanbul) and employed mental cases for his teams.
If he was around today with our refs,he woodnae last 5 minutes...unless he was at rAngers !

PS
I wish Yosser Hughes had stuck the nut on him !
I would have back then !!

Eyrie
09-03-2022, 07:00 PM
What a waste of money was the best chant of the day.
We deservedly beat the thugs. Souness should never have played again. McCoist shown up as the snidey wee coward that he is.

I remember that.

Wasn't at the game but we were having a kick around at the Park, and the chant was loud and clear.

Potty78
09-03-2022, 07:06 PM
I was there , Souness's assault on McCluskey happened right in front of were I was standing. A real piece of thuggery he should've been banned for far longer. I remember Roughie saying he didn't get involved in the melle that happened because he couldn't be bothered to run that far :tee hee::tee hee:

Roughie had been booked already for the rangers penalty incident👍

Potty78
09-03-2022, 07:08 PM
What a waste of money !

Not the first and not the last Billy Big Times to come up to Scotland thinking it would be a walk in the park and being taken unawares by the pace, physicality and intensity of our game

Welcome to Scotland

Pretty sure Beastie’s and Mark Fulton’s yellows were rescinded

Not sure about Roughie tho he was sunbathing at the time

Cowardly attack by Souness by the way
Sure I read all the players involved got booked after the game and Beasties and Fulton's had theres turned over. No sure if true.

gbhibby
09-03-2022, 07:09 PM
Was in the East and it was some atmosphere that day. One of the guys on the fence at the back of incident was my mate. He stuck a tenner on a the bookies on Souness getting sent off. From memory he got a good price. Two of Butchers tackles that day were career ending.Thug.

kaimendhibs
09-03-2022, 07:42 PM
I was there, was early 20s also. Fantastic atmosphere,better result

HibbyAndy
09-03-2022, 07:59 PM
Souness was a dirty barstweward no to ways about it

A bit like that Coward Steven Gerrard too !

Green Reaper
09-03-2022, 08:15 PM
I was in the enclosure that day, crazy and toxic atmosphere, never heard a rendition of “go home ya huns” as loud as that day!

Mick O'Rourke
09-03-2022, 08:19 PM
The day the cowardly thug Souness and his minnions came to the Holy Ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5CmjB9LaE*

*Go home ya Huns!!

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2022, 08:27 PM
Anyone name our five new summer signings that day ?

A pittance compared to what the huns spent obviously

HibbyAndy
09-03-2022, 08:29 PM

Beadie , Mclusky ?

eastterrace
09-03-2022, 08:30 PM
Was at this game in the main stand as my dad wanted to go ( he was a jambo ) and the east stand did go mental. This was also when we played our famous five , billy kirkwood ( or nae good) Stuart beedie who scored and Willie Irvine and not sure who the other two were.

Conj
09-03-2022, 08:33 PM
Beadie , Mclusky ?

Irvine, Caughey and Kirkwood

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Irvine, Caughey and Kirkwood

👍

brog
09-03-2022, 08:47 PM
McCoist doing his hit and run,the coward.

And an outrageous dive for the penalty!

SonOfDavidFrancey
09-03-2022, 08:59 PM
Came through from Glasgow and couldn’t get in - house full. But even from outside the atmosphere was mental

JimBHibees
09-03-2022, 09:08 PM
McCoist was a sneaky bar steward, hitting someone from behind and then basically running away. Hated him then and even more after that game. The atmosphere was incredible one of the best I have been fortunate enough to have been at.

Both McCoist and Colin West clearly spat on Hibs players during that game. Despicable. Think Fulton caught McCoist early in the game. The Rangers chairman David Holmes I think said he never wanted to see that again re the spitting.

mca
09-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Roughie had been booked already for the rangers penalty incident👍

Thought I had read somewhere that Roughie was the Only player that was Not Booked in the game...

Potty78
09-03-2022, 09:23 PM
Thought I had read somewhere that Roughie was the Only player that was Not Booked in the game...

He was definitely booked for the McCoist penalty incident.

allezsauzee
09-03-2022, 09:24 PM
One of the best atmosphere's I've experienced. Certainly at a league game. I remember one of my mates losing a shoe for a while in the melee after one of our goals

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2022, 09:25 PM

Roughie not booked and Beastie and Fulton rescinded for their part in the mass brawl

Davy Mac
09-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Funnily enough I met the referee that day - Delaney, who was marking/watching my laddie reffing an amateur game at the end of last year.

Sadly, he's quite immobile now as he's gettting on a bit but talked about the game with my lad, although I'm not going to lie to you, he was grumpy as......lol

Potty78
09-03-2022, 09:30 PM
Roughie not booked and Beastie and Fulton rescinded for their part in the mass brawl

Billy I read up on it earlier, Roughie was booked in the game👍

BILLYHIBS
09-03-2022, 09:36 PM
Billy I read up on it earlier, Roughie was booked in the game👍

Just watched the VT and Roughie was the first player to be booked for protesting about Super ********s blatant dive with no obvious challenge from a hibs defender

I really must stop reading books 😃

Mick O'Rourke
09-03-2022, 09:55 PM
Alan Rough years later wasn't sure what the score was and kinda excuses Souness,Butcher and co,saying that they coming from England thought it would be an "easy life" up here.
.As if "we" started the violent stuff that day.
I was in the old North Enclosure alongside some of the West End Mathers gang.
Good job nae Hun landed over the wall there.

Interview link

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/rough-recalls-butchers-first-visit-easter-road-1551057

Argylehibby
09-03-2022, 10:23 PM

I think the confusion lies with the SFA announcing that every player bar Roughie would be cautioned for the fight. Roughie was booked but not as part of the blanket booking for the fighting.

OldEast
10-03-2022, 12:17 AM
Beadie , Mclusky ?

Kirkwood

Liberal Hibby
10-03-2022, 12:27 AM
Alan Rough years later wasn't sure what the score was and kinda excuses Souness,Butcher and co,saying that they coming from England thought it would be an "easy life" up here.
.As if "we" started the violent stuff that day.
I was in the old North Enclosure alongside some of the West End Mathers gang.
Good job nae Hun landed over the wall there.

Interview link

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/rough-recalls-butchers-first-visit-easter-road-1551057

That article aged well...

Mick O'Rourke
10-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Just watched the VT and Roughie was the first player to be booked for protesting about Super ********s blatant dive with no obvious challenge from a hibs defender

I really must stop reading books 😃

Me too I used to devour non fiction
Library every friday for a pile of books.
Librarian said take it easy,you might befuddle your brain and cause stress.
He had a point !!
Going to the Clerry Inn on a Friday night to discuss and debate Turkish Medieval Literature usually ended up in a fight .

JimBHibees
10-03-2022, 10:05 AM
He had a point !!
Going to the Clerry Inn on a Friday night to discuss and debate Turkish Medieval Literature usually ended up in a fight .

:greengrin

gbhibby
10-03-2022, 10:55 AM
He had a point !!
🤣🤣

Superfurry72
10-03-2022, 02:20 PM

He also cheated to win a penalty, a clear dive.

Bushwoof
10-03-2022, 02:51 PM
Apart from the big incident involving Souness and the rest's thuggery, my main memory is that Colin West's total incompetence in front of goal contributed as much as anyone to a famous win and an unforgettable day. What a waste of money indeed!

'Go home ya huns' is probably my favourite song, as it usually accompanies a handsome win over that lot.

Waxy
10-03-2022, 04:03 PM
This game, the Celtic 4-3 cup win and beating Hearts 2-1 in late 1987 are my favorite matches from this time.

hibeg
10-03-2022, 04:12 PM
This game, the Celtic 4-3 cup win and beating Hearts 2-1 in late 1987 are my favorite matches from this time.

I would add the league cup win on penalties v Celtic to that list. Think it was the same season as the Scottish Cup 4-3 game

DIXIHIBS
10-03-2022, 04:30 PM
I would add the league cup win on penalties v Celtic to that list. Think it was the same season as the Scottish Cup 4-3 game

It was. 8 goals in 2 games v celtic. Not bad going.

Potty78
10-03-2022, 04:57 PM

Was at both those games too as a wee 8/9 year old. Mind the fans on the park after the Hearts game. Watched the 4 3 on YouTube last night as well (poor quality) never realised fans ran on the park then too. Great memories

cammy1969
10-03-2022, 05:19 PM
Was in my local on the Friday nite just young 17 and there was this English couple in who were telling all about their son playing for rangers the next day. Said they’d be back in after the game, remember going back to pub once we got back from game but mr & mrs Chris woods never turn up [emoji1787]. I remember it was a roasting hot day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Col L
10-03-2022, 05:30 PM

Cheers for the plug Jonnyboy [emoji106]

This game and the enduring image of Souness alongside a blood-stained Beastie provides the front cover for the book, as well as a chapter inside capturing all the bedlam!

It was one of the most crazy, exciting games I watched as a laddie and you can see my wee freckle-faced puss in the packed East a couple or times in the TV footage, clapping approvingly when Snoddy scythed down Ted McMinn on the touchline.

Souness simply lost the plot and boiled over… his attack on McCluskey was the act of a coward. He had every right to be shame-faced behind that evil tache.

McCoist behaved like a prick throughout that game and should have walked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viva_Palmeiras
10-03-2022, 05:44 PM
He was definitely booked for the McCoist penalty incident.

he was the only player not to get booked in the Beastie incident

DIXIHIBS
10-03-2022, 06:46 PM
he was the only player not to get booked in the Beastie incident

Just as well as he would have been sent off for 2nd yellow...i think.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-03-2022, 06:55 PM

Yes, three great memories, up there with the best. Real high points, despite being during an era that was mainly disappointing.

Real Emerald
10-03-2022, 09:38 PM
I loved that game. I spoke to Billy Kirkwood about it some time later and he said Beasty had a stud hole in his knee where Souness had kicked him. It was way after the whistle had went and it wasn’t a tackle like the media like to describe it.

scm70nyd1973
10-03-2022, 11:04 PM

Nothing but great memories- first game of the season - a scorching day - packed into the East - I think we celebrated the sending off more than the goals 😂 iirc Beedie scored the last goal of the season at ER (for DUFC) and the first for us at the start of the new season. My recollection is that we actually celebrated Beedie’s goal for DUFC because by then Sir Albert had done his stuff - we would have celebrated a kettle boiling at that point I tell ye 😂

JimBHibees
11-03-2022, 06:33 AM
Just watched the highlights was as mental as I remembered it. Ludicrous dive by McCoist and the coward punch on Fulton was a shocker. Butcher should have walked also. Souness is a complete thug and coward also.

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2022, 01:52 PM

In today's sanitised game, that match would have ended about four-a-side.

Hibernia&Alba
11-03-2022, 01:54 PM
Souness was a dirty barstweward no to ways about it

A bit like that Coward Steven Gerrard too !

Souness was far worse than Gerrard. He was an old fashioned hatchet man of the era, but he was also an outstanding player.

JeMeSouviens
11-03-2022, 01:56 PM
That game was such a false dawn. What a pish season. Alex Miller arriving and earning his "Mogadon" nickname.

JimBHibees
11-03-2022, 02:07 PM
That game was such a false dawn. What a pish season. Alex Miller arriving and earning his "Mogadon" nickname.

:agree: Think I remember going to Pittodrie the midweek after and us getting horsed 4 zip. :greengrin

That central defence of Chisholm and Fulton I reckon I could have outrun. :wink:

Is It On....
11-03-2022, 02:19 PM

It was the opening game of the season and, as you say, an absolutely electric atmosphere. I seem to remember Beastie sliding in on his knees over the Rangers goal line to celebrate one of the goals (I think Stuart Beadie's). Bedlam from us, bile from them.

Is It On....
11-03-2022, 02:26 PM
One of the best atmosphere's I've experienced. Certainly at a league game. I remember one of my mates losing a shoe for a while in the melee after one of our goals

My friend lost a shoe when Archigod scored at Tynecastle. He didn't find it actually and had to walk back along the canal with one shoe on before giving it tight to the jambos in the Centre Court 🙂

Iggy Pope
12-03-2022, 12:53 PM
My friend lost a shoe when Archigod scored at Tynecastle. He didn't find it actually and had to walk back along the canal with one shoe on before giving it tight to the jambos in the Centre Court 🙂

Archigod and your mate. Tell me his name is Peter!

skipster7
12-03-2022, 06:04 PM
Read Terry Butchers book many moons ago and he talked about that game and the atmosphere. He said the hibs players were snarling at them in the tunnel with crazy eyes :tee hee: and the English lads were looking at each other like " What have we let ourselves in for here ? "
Remember the constant Argentina chants in the East as well as it was not long after wee Diego knocked them out.

SJNB Hibby
12-03-2022, 06:08 PM
The Toronto globe & Mail actually had a lengthy article on the Monday after the game.

Mick O'Rourke
12-03-2022, 06:23 PM
The Toronto globe & Mail actually had a lengthy article on the Monday after the game.

Sad reading for the Toronto Loyal

Going Tonto in Toronto !!!:grr::banana:

Waxy
12-03-2022, 06:45 PM

Hearts would have sold that shoe for a profit.

hibbie02
12-03-2022, 11:10 PM
One of the best atmospheres ive been in at ER. I was in my early 20s at the time and the east was absolutely bouncing. The huns had spent millions buying english internationals and the hibees turned them over...brilliant. Sleekit mcoist punching mark fulton from behind then running away. The place erupted when souness got sent off. A million miles away from the sterile atmosphere at games nowadays.

That was one of the last games I was at before heading South. In the North Enclosure, absolutely mental in there that day (well most days). Febrile atmosphere all around the Stadium before, during and after. Huge surge at Souness when he went off. Many would have wiped that smirk off his face given half a chance.

FilipinoHibs
13-03-2022, 12:01 AM
Was in the cave, a very hot sunny day added to electric atmosphere. The stadium was packed with the prospect of playing Rangers with all their new stars.

BS44
13-03-2022, 05:09 AM

Beedie, McCluskey, Kirkwood, Cowan and Mark Caughey the RUC polis man

Scorrie
13-03-2022, 06:35 AM
I was in the east that day. Easily one of the best and most mental atmosphere I’ve experienced at ER. I think I’m actually in the tv highlights “celebrating” Souness getting sent off!

McIntosh
13-03-2022, 07:45 AM
Beedie, McCluskey, Kirkwood, Cowan and Mark Caughey the RUC polis man
Cowan was already here, it was Willie Irvine (Mark 2)

BILLYHIBS
13-03-2022, 08:08 AM
:agree:

Keith_M
13-03-2022, 08:13 AM
That article aged well...

You could be right....

“For too long there has been no proper connection between the club and the fans and Terry is the perfect man to change that.” (Alan Rough)

BS44
13-03-2022, 09:12 AM

Yep, you're right it was the other Willie Irvine. Think I may have a old programme somewhere with the five if them on front cover, or perhaps I've maybe seen the photo online.

McCluskey was a smashing signing, didn't know how good a player he was until he came to Hibs.

Beedie was okay, remember he scored a belter when we beat Hamilton 1 0 through there in league cup, it's that long ago that the old nutter that supported Hamilton was a cult hero, don't think his **** would be acceptable now.

Willie and Billy were rotten, Kirkwood particularly as he was decent at a good Dundee Utd team.

Mark Caughey was part-time at Linfield, never looked like he would do it at Hibs, and he looked podgy too. Sure he got grief back home from some in his community for signing with Hibs