PDA

View Full Version : Play 2 strikers

thebausburst
08-03-2022, 06:52 AM
We want and need goals so here’s a radical idea, play 2 strikers which should increase the chances of a goal by, I don’t know, around 50% I’d say.

Winston Ingram
08-03-2022, 07:55 AM
We want and need goals so here’s a radical idea, play 2 strikers which should increase the chances of a goal by, I don’t know, around 50% I’d say.

Can you name any other good attacking teams that play with 2 up front these days?

Front 2's have died out now. Most decent attacking teams pretty much play a front 3 these days and rightly so.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2022, 08:01 AM
Eh, not sure it works like that

04Sauzee
08-03-2022, 08:03 AM

And playing 4 at the back will reduce the number of gaols we concede am I getting this right?

Winston Ingram
08-03-2022, 08:18 AM
Now I come to think of it, the only decent attacking team I can think of that plays a front 2 is Inter Milan.

Other than that, genuinely cannot think of a decent attacking side that does it.

hibee-boys
08-03-2022, 08:37 AM
I think I know where the OP is coming from, it looks like we either play 4/2/3/1 or 3/4/2/1. However, whether it’s Nisbet or Doidge, the number 9 seems to be pretty isolated most of the time, Nisbet in particular was having to come very deep to get involved with zero runners from midfield going beyond him so that ‘if’ the ball makes it into the box there was a lack of numbers in there to compete. I’d like them to try 3/4/1/2 with Jasper playing in behind a front 2, rely on Doig and Cadden providing the width. Get more players higher up the park quicker, I do feel we’re currently set up not to lose. But what do I know, I’ve no coaching badge nor have held a professional position in football management/coaching, these are the only people that are qualified to express an opinion according to some on here🤷🏼

Sioux
08-03-2022, 08:39 AM
We could play 4 strikers. Goals aplenty!

Hibbyradge
08-03-2022, 08:42 AM
I think I know where the OP is coming from, it looks like we either play 4/2/3/1 or 3/4/2/1. However, whether it’s Nisbet or Doidge, the number 9 seems to be pretty isolated most of the time, Nisbet in particular was having to come very deep to get involved with zero runners from midfield going beyond him so that ‘if’ the ball makes it into the box there was a lack of numbers in there to compete. I’d like them to try 3/4/1/2 with Jasper playing in behind a front 2, rely on Doig and Cadden providing the width. Get more players higher up the park quicker, I do feel we’re currently set up not to lose. But what do I know, I’ve no coaching badge nor have held a professional position in football management/coaching, these are the only people that are qualified to express an opinion according to some on here🤷🏼

Your last line was unnecessary and it completely detracted from your points.

It's like you just started to get angry for some reason out of the blue :hilarious

superfurryhibby
08-03-2022, 08:52 AM

I don't really care for all this "what good attacking teams do" patter. This is a team grubbing around in a mediocre league, not elite level football and we can't score a goal.

What would our resident tactical geniuses say Hibs need to do to change that?

What's on display is dire. I've no season ticket, but been going to plenty of games and there is no way I'm shelling out to commit to watching this next season. Many others will feel the same.

Carheenlea
08-03-2022, 08:55 AM
Maybe trying a few shots might work. You never know, some might end up going in.

AL-Qaholik
08-03-2022, 09:37 AM
We finished 3rd playing Doidge, Nisbet and Boyle.
33 league goals between them.
46 in all comps.

Stubbsy90+2
08-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Now I come to think of it, the only decent attacking team I can think of that plays a front 2 is Inter Milan.

Other than that, genuinely cannot think of a decent attacking side that does it.

The only way you can play 2 strikers nowadays is in a 3-5-2. The problem with 3-5-2 for us is that the two wide men in the 5 would be Cadden and Doig, both full backs so it would be much more like a 5-3-2. Throw in the midfielders we have having next to no attacking inclination and the two would be even more isolated than the 1 we’ve got just now imo as they at least currently have the likes of Jasper, Mueller etc attacking as well.

Any other formation with 2 up top just will not work long term.

lord bunberry
08-03-2022, 10:36 AM
We finished 3rd playing Doidge, Nisbet and Boyle.
33 league goals between them.
46 in all comps.

It’s another example of the manager not getting the best out of the squad that’s available to him. We all know what he wants to do, but right now he doesn’t have the players to do it. He needs to bin the current system until next season when hopefully he’ll have the players he needs to be implement his philosophy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee-boys
08-03-2022, 10:45 AM
Your last line was unnecessary and it completely detracted from your points.

It's like you just started to get angry for some reason out of the blue :hilarious

No, I was angry when I started😤😂

Winston Ingram
08-03-2022, 11:03 AM
The only way you can play 2 strikers nowadays is in a 3-5-2. The problem with 3-5-2 for us is that the two wide men in the 5 would be Cadden and Doig, both full backs so it would be much more like a 5-3-2. Throw in the midfielders we have having next to no attacking inclination and the two would be even more isolated than the 1 we’ve got just now imo as they at least currently have the likes of Jasper, Mueller etc attacking as well.

You could go 352 which i agree usually always ends up 532.

From what I can see it's only usually teams looking to dig in and get results that use it. You rarely see any attacking teams that use it.

Stubbsy90+2
08-03-2022, 11:13 AM
You could go 352 which i agree usually always ends up 532.

From what I can see it's only usually teams looking to dig in and get results that use it. You rarely see any attacking teams that use it.

We were quite attacking when we played it under Lennon with Boyle on the right and allan as a 10. That could well have just been down to the sheer quality of players we had at our disposal tbf.

I do think generally though you’re right. It’s not often all that attacking a system.

Winston Ingram
08-03-2022, 11:16 AM
We were quite attacking when we played it under Lennon with Boyle on the right and allan as a 10. That could well have just been down to the sheer quality of players we had at our disposal tbf.

I do think generally though you’re right. It’s not often all that attacking a system.

We were for the 2nd half of the 17/18 season but we shipped a shed load of goals. At the start of the 18/19 season, we weren't. He moved Boyle upfront and put SDG in a right wing-back.

lord bunberry
08-03-2022, 11:54 AM

We don’t need to do it long term, up to the send of the season will do fine. We have drawn a blank in 8 out of our last 10 games, he needs to try something different.

J-C
08-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Play 352 and then Mitchell, Jasper, Mueller and Hauge are not needed because the width comes from the WB's. 343 allows attacking WB's and a front 3 of a striker and 2 wide attackers, usually wingers or inside forwards. 433/4231 gives the same as 343 but the extra man in the middle.

Lago
08-03-2022, 12:39 PM
To all intents and purposes we don't have a striker that's actually a striker.

HoboHarry
08-03-2022, 12:58 PM
And playing 4 at the back will reduce the number of gaols we concede am I getting this right?
Or play with no strikers and be surprised at getting beat 1-0. It's what international managers do.

flash
08-03-2022, 01:32 PM
To all intents and purposes we don't have a striker that's actually a striker.

Doidge is totally a striker.

Mainstandman
08-03-2022, 01:46 PM
i'd like to see just more forward looking players on the park. As it stands we have we have prob 7 defensive players and our three offensive players are well away from each other so they don't link up. once it gets to campbell, JDH or Wright in the link up then they pass it back as that's their game. for all Allan's fault's when he gets the ball he's linking in better with the forward looking players. its easy for the opposition to crowd out our forward players as there isn't many of them. they know that if they just block campbell, JDH or Wright when they get it it will be passed back.. Jasper was well crowded out on Saturday, he linked well with Stevenson at Arbroath but with rocky out he has to play in defense unless you risk mcgregor.

Maloney has not shown himself as manager who takes risks so i don't see this changing. Watched an interesting video from Fergie with Gary neville talking out taking risk and scoring goals, perhaps i should forward it to Maloney!

thebausburst
08-03-2022, 03:27 PM
So in terms of my original suggestion, no-one wants to see Melkerson and Doidge up top, just me then 🤔

truehibernian
08-03-2022, 03:33 PM
So in terms of my original suggestion, no-one wants to see Melkerson and Doidge up top, just me then 🤔

I do -Hibs always play better with a two / partnership up front and it takes the pressure of Doidge to do everything. Melkerson has the energy and movement (and touch), Doidge does the hard graft and is also a good defensive player when we defend set pieces.

I'd play a 4-3-3, and like up at Arbroath, drop Lewis into midfield as the defensive player, and have Henderson and Mueller either side. Lewis is combative, composed, and reads the game. Back four of Cadden, Rocky, Porto, and Doig. Jasper to be allowed to play either wing.

Irish_Steve
08-03-2022, 05:31 PM
Never mind playing two strikers (or four), I really think we should go for “any man in”

H18 SFR
08-03-2022, 05:36 PM
Bodo Glimt play two up top with another off the pair. Good enough for them and they seem to be having plenty success.

Tambo
08-03-2022, 07:24 PM
You need to create clear cut chances first to score goals which we have been on and off.Unless you give to it to jdh on the outside of the box 😁

When it was Doidge and Nisbet as a pair, Nisbet would drop deep at the times even play as a no10 but I have no issue with a change of tatics up top.

Skol
08-03-2022, 07:44 PM

Not sure I get this. When we play 3-4-3 we have cadden and doig in the four. How is that different to 3-5-2?

One of our issues imo is a lack of bodies in midfield and 3-5-2 would solve this.

Bigger issue right now is lack of available players

andrew70
08-03-2022, 07:46 PM
Not sure I get this. When we play 3-4-3 we have cadden and doig in the four. How is that different to 3-5-2?

One of our issues imo is a lack of bodies in midfield and 3-5-2 would solve this.

Bigger issue right now is lack of available players

It’s not lack of bodies it’s lack of an effective midfielder to partner JDH. We compete well back to middle, we need someone to blend the mid to attack.

sauzeelegod
08-03-2022, 07:49 PM
Bodo Glimt play two up top with another off the pair. Good enough for them and they seem to be having plenty success.

They play a 433 formation.

H18 SFR
08-03-2022, 08:09 PM
They play a 433 formation.

They play a variation of 4-3-3. They have a central pair with one playing off wider.

Is It On....
08-03-2022, 08:19 PM

You actually increase your chances by 100% 🙂.

If we don't have a striker that can play the lone front man role then playing someone in that role is effectively playing them out of position (like Heckingbottom did with Christian Doidge). SM needs to work out how to get the best out if the current squad and if that means being pragmatic and playing two up front then so be it.

Onion
08-03-2022, 08:40 PM
Sometimes, I fear we might not see a Famous 5 again.

wookie70
08-03-2022, 10:36 PM
It must be worth a try playing two up top, we can hardly score less goals or be less entertaining to watch.

I was at Stenhousemuir tonight where Kelty Hearts won with a last minute goal. Two teams who spent most of the game playing sideways passes. The game was dire and very much like watching Hibs at the moment.

I hope this fascination with possession passes as it is dull as ditch water. Tonight Sutton Utd got to Wembley with a penalty shoot out win having had 29% possession in the game. Same amount of shots as Wigan and more on target. You don't need the bulk of the ball to win and play good football

sauzeelegod
08-03-2022, 10:50 PM
They play a variation of 4-3-3. They have a central pair with one playing off wider.

They play 1 central forward and 2 wingers who drift inside.

MWHIBBIES
09-03-2022, 04:45 AM
Maloney has played 2 up front multiple times already. We didn't look better for it.

Winston Ingram
09-03-2022, 07:27 AM

No they don't. They play 433.

dchibs
09-03-2022, 07:45 AM

Bodo Glimt play at a higher standard than Hibs, they looked good at parkhead and made Celtic look like headless chickens at times, I would love for Hibs to be able to play like them though.

J-C
09-03-2022, 08:14 AM
No one really plays 2 up top nowadays.
Man C... Sterling, Jesus, Mahrez
Liverpool... Mane, Jota, Salah.
Man U... Sancho, Ronaldo, Rashford

Combination of wingers, inverted wingers and strikers, all interchangeable.

lord bunberry
09-03-2022, 09:22 AM

We finished 3rd and got to the cup final doing it last season. It’s not a long term solution as obviously Maloney doesn’t want to play that way, but while we’re down to the bare bones it’s something we should consider. Given how poor we’ve been this season it’s a minor miracle how good a position we’re actually in, but I can’t see us maintaining it if we don’t start scoring goals.

superfurryhibby
09-03-2022, 09:27 AM

How does elite level performance compare with that of Europe’s 12 th ranked league? They still kick a ball and it’s still 11 v 11, but the similarities kind of cease there.

Call me simplistic, but what works at Man City, Liverpool and Man U, isn’t necessarily going to work in the SPFL.

Makes you wonder how we ever finished third last season playing two strikers ( who amazingly scored 30 odd goals in all comps between them). Nah, that’s never going to work right enough, let’s stick with the no goals approach....:confused:

number9dream
09-03-2022, 09:32 AM
We can play Doidge & Melkersen in a 3-4-3 or a 3-4-2-1 if that’s what we’re doing. Surely Elias can play in behind or wide of Doidge?
If Maloney replaces one with the other is that going to be an improvement or will it simply be swapping isolated lone strikers?

J-C
09-03-2022, 11:38 AM
Our problems stem from midfield and zero creativity, front 3 are getting isolated so they drop deeper to get the ball, leaving the central striker all on his own. The teams I mentioned all have good midfield, half the teams in our league have a better midfield than us, harder working and more creative.

Skol
09-03-2022, 11:43 AM
It is pretty clear to me that 3-4-3 is not working right now. I know we have loads of players out and so its not possible to know if it will work with our best 11 players.

Maloney has occasionally changed and played 4 at the back or two up front, but I would estimate for 80-90% of the time he goes 3-4-3 and tries to make the available players fit.

I remain to be convinced that 3-4-3 is the best formation, especially as we wont have the type of forward three mentioned in earlier posts. Maybe with Boyle it was possible

Maloney needs to show some flexibility in his approach right now and he just doesnt seem to want to. I would be more comfortable with a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2.

I would have Porteous, Bushiri and whatever other CH is fit at the back and consider Doig or Stevenson if we dont have another CH.

Cadden and Doig in the wide roles and JDH, Campbell and Stevenson in the middle

Doidge and Melkerson up front

I know thats not our best 11, but its a team that I think gets the most out of what we have available. There could be some movement based on availability and also I think we should find a place for Mueller although I am not sure where. Also, if Jasper can be asked to adapt how he plays, he could also be useful

andrew70
09-03-2022, 12:42 PM
It is pretty clear to me that 3-4-3 is not working right now. I know we have loads of players out and so its not possible to know if it will work with our best 11 players.

Maloney has occasionally changed and played 4 at the back or two up front, but I would estimate for 80-90% of the time he goes 3-4-3 and tries to make the available players fit.

I remain to be convinced that 3-4-3 is the best formation, especially as we wont have the type of forward three mentioned in earlier posts. Maybe with Boyle it was possible

Maloney needs to show some flexibility in his approach right now and he just doesnt seem to want to. I would be more comfortable with a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2.

I would have Porteous, Bushiri and whatever other CH is fit at the back and consider Doig or Stevenson if we dont have another CH.

Cadden and Doig in the wide roles and JDH, Campbell and Stevenson in the middle

Doidge and Melkerson up front

I know thats not our best 11, but its a team that I think gets the most out of what we have available. There could be some movement based on availability and also I think we should find a place for Mueller although I am not sure where. Also, if Jasper can be asked to adapt how he plays, he could also be useful

This sort of stuff gets me. One of our best players. Adapt what exactly? His talent, his flamboyant nature, his skill?

He creates chances, will create more, sure he'll chip in with goals as well but god forbid he tries something different.

The problem would be the midfield as it is in the current guise. There's not a lot wrong despite some overreactions and I certainly wouldn't be leaving out our more skilfull entertainers it's difficult enough with that midfield. We will get there.

lord bunberry
09-03-2022, 12:50 PM
This sort of stuff gets me. One of our best players. Adapt what exactly? His talent, his flamboyant nature, his skill?

He creates chances, will create more, sure he'll chip in with goals as well but god forbid he tries something different.

The problem would be the midfield as it is in the current guise. There's not a lot wrong despite some overreactions and I certainly wouldn't be leaving out our more skilfull entertainers it's difficult enough with that midfield. We will get there.
I think the point is could he adapt to play a position he’s not used to until we have more players back fit. We’re playing a system that has seen us not score in 8 of our last 10 games. More of the same is only going to lead to the same result and that’s when you need the manager and the players to adapt and try something different. Aye he could play through the middle or wingback.

Skol
09-03-2022, 02:19 PM

He hasnt created many chances so far and I dont think has an assist to his name yet. He has loads of tricks and ability but he needs to start to make things deliver.

J-C
09-03-2022, 02:24 PM
He hasnt created many chances so far and I dont think has an assist to his name yet. He has loads of tricks and ability but he needs to start to make things deliver.

I think due to our lack of creativity and guile, Jasper has taken the bull by the horns and try to make things happen himself, something you seen Boyle do many times. I'm not a fan of 343 as it needs 2 very good athletic central midfielders, 3 in there works better as far as I'm concerned.

Skol
09-03-2022, 02:26 PM
I think due to our lack of creativity and guile, Jasper has taken the bull by the horns and try to make things happen himself, something you seen Boyle do many times. I'm not a fan of 343 as it needs 2 very good athletic central midfielders, 3 in there works better as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed, but Boyle scored most of our goals and also created plenty chances. Ive not see that yet from Jasper and he needs to sometimes play his teammates in or get the ball in to dangerous area earlier