PDA

View Full Version : Doidge.

Greencore
07-03-2022, 10:13 PM
Whats up with his contract? Is it experireing at the end of the season ?

Stevie Reid
07-03-2022, 10:15 PM
Whats up with his contract? Is it experireing at the end of the season ?

Signed an extension a few months back.

Sir David Gray
07-03-2022, 10:16 PM

Yep summer 2024.

The Modfather
07-03-2022, 10:33 PM
Even if Doidge gets back to his best I’d be tempted to move him on, particularly if we could get a fee for him. He’s 29 and his goals return in the league is fairly modest, 12, 7 and currently 2. Although I appreciate he contributes more than just goals. I think he’s a useful player to have so I’d be happy to keep him but he falls into the Newell camp for me of looking to upgrade but would be a real quality backup.

Greencore
07-03-2022, 10:35 PM

Cheers.

Stevie Reid
07-03-2022, 11:10 PM
Even if Doidge gets back to his best I’d be tempted to move him on, particularly if we could get a fee for him. He’s 29 and his goals return in the league is fairly modest, 12, 7 and currently 2. Although I appreciate he contributes more than just goals. I think he’s a useful player to have so I’d be happy to keep him but he falls into the Newell camp for me of looking to upgrade but would be a real quality backup.

To be fair, that first season he took a while to find his feet due to the rocky start that the team had, and Heckingbottom not playing to his strengths. Was his tenth league appearance before he got his first goals, and was a curtailed season due to covid.

So he had 12 goals in 28 league appearances, 12 in 18 after he actually started scoring. Before the season came to a premature end, he’d scored 9 goals in his last 13 appearances, so was in good form. We had eight league games left and were in the Scottish Cup semi, so he could easily have had more had the season been completed.

Last season was a good one overall for him, seven in the league, yes - but 15 overall. Nisbet and Boyle weighing in meant that his league numbers weren’t an issue, and his Scottish Cup scoring record is excellent, which is no bad thing.

He’s just been really, really unlucky this year. Looked as good as I’ve seen him in the early weeks and then got that horrible injury. I found it strange that he wasn’t started more by Ross before he went, and then Gray, and then Maloney when he arrived, he was never going to get fit making appearances off the bench.

Of course he has looked way off it on the games that he has started recently. Given the location of the injury I am worried that it may have genuinely been so detrimental that he won’t be able to contribute what he used to to the team.

Fingers crossed he can recover, because he’s an ideal SPL striker when fully fit.

Winston Ingram
08-03-2022, 05:43 AM
I’m hoping he gets a run of games now. I think he’s started 6 league games since he came back from a serious injury in December.

He’s been a superb signing for us and hopefully this run of games he’s getting now will see him return to what he’s capable of.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2022, 06:12 AM
I’m hoping he gets a run of games now. I think he’s started 6 league games since he came back from a serious injury in December.

He’s been a superb signing for us and hopefully this run of games he’s getting now will see him return to what he’s capable of.

I think so too. Needs time and fitness. Doidge is a streaky goalscorer, but his effort and mentality is what we need. He celebrates teammates goals as much as his own. A real team player and on his day, a brilliant striker. Got a brutal injury and came back into a really struggling side.

Pre season and some goals and we'll be laughing.

GreenNWhiteArmy
08-03-2022, 06:52 AM
Get Melkersen up beside him buzzing about and he might get back to making an impact

Having him isolated doesn't help him, or the team

Heisenberg
08-03-2022, 06:55 AM
Get Melkersen up beside him buzzing about and he might get back to making an impact

I’d be astonished if Maloney changed his system without being forced into it by more suspension or injury.

Since452
08-03-2022, 08:51 AM

Agreed. Doidge isn't a loan striker.

Coco Bryce
08-03-2022, 09:21 AM
Agreed. Doidge isn't a loan striker.

Nah we've signed him :greengrin

Northernhibee
08-03-2022, 09:57 AM
On form he’s the best target man in this league. I’d love to see him on the scoresheet regularly again.

LaMotta
08-03-2022, 10:15 AM
Agree with most comments above. Think once he gets one goal he'll go on a scoring run.

We've hardly created anything for him recently, which hasn't helped. And I think its clear Maloney doesn't really fancy him, so that has limited his game time.

worcesterhibby
08-03-2022, 10:21 AM
I really want to buy in to Maloney’s vision, but I really wish that vision would include playing with two forwards from the start. I really think Melkerson would be a brilliant foil for Doidge, but they need to play close to each other.

Tyler Durden
08-03-2022, 10:22 AM
I’d be astonished if Maloney changed his system without being forced into it by more suspension or injury.

Sure but Melkersen can play from the left or right. We don't need to change the formation to get him and Doidge in the team together. We started the derby with Nisbet, Doidge and Mueller.

I like Henderson but he probably needs to drop out, unless Maloney would move him back into central midfield. Highly unlikely given he seems determined to persist with the similar line ups that are producing little attacking threat currently.

Winston Ingram
08-03-2022, 11:06 AM
Sure but Melkersen can play from the left or right. We don't need to change the formation to get him and Doidge in the team together. We started the derby with Nisbet, Doidge and Mueller.

I like Henderson but he probably needs to drop out, unless Maloney would move him back into central midfield. Highly unlikely given he seems determined to persist with the similar line ups that are producing little attacking threat currently.

Melkersen played on the wing a lot when he was on loan at Ranheim last season.

Nicho87
08-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Doidge looks done to me

He’s currently living off one decent spell last season the rest has been meh.

Can’t see maloney kicking up much fuss if he wanted to move on

bigwheel
08-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Doidge looks done to me

His best period was the season before last ….

LaMotta
08-03-2022, 11:45 AM
Doidge looks done to me

He looked done in his first few months with us - then scored a barrowload. He went through a stage of looking done last year before doing the same.

I get why people are saying it because he lacks mobility, but I think it's always been that way with him. It's our lack of creativity that is the biggest issue.

He actually did score vs Cove but it was wrongly ruled out. Then he was back on the bench again.

Lago
08-03-2022, 12:47 PM
That was a mistake on hibs part, was Ross still head coach at the time?

Ronniekirk
08-03-2022, 12:59 PM

Yes he was

Lago
08-03-2022, 01:03 PM
Yes he was
Says it all as far as I'm concerned.

Mango Man
08-03-2022, 01:07 PM
I really rate Doidge, brings a lot to the team, definitely not looked the same since the injury but guess we have to give him a proper chance to regain his form again, it was a really bad injury he got and can take months to get back from, he even grabbed a couple of goals at the start of the season when coming back from COVID and was looking good, he isn't exactly ancient either, just need to be patient and get someone up there with him.

Ronniekirk
08-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Fir me he looks like he has lost a bit of weight and also stamina not what it was Clearly not as sharp as he was
Covid , a serious injury and then another illness which wasn’t divulged have clearly taken its toll on him and you begin to wonder if he will get back to his best
It may be he will need a Full Pre season to then kick on
But with Reports Nesbit will be out longer till end of the season , Maloney will realise he needs to plan ahead he can’t just wait and hope both are fit and back to Thier best for the start of next season
It’s a difficult situation for Maloney to Manage

Brightside
08-03-2022, 01:12 PM

Amazing. Every man and his dug was wanting him extended not that long ago. Now the player has an injury, struggling to get back to form and he's all of a sudden rubbish. We should just get 100s of loan players every season.

MWHIBBIES
08-03-2022, 01:24 PM

Absolutely was not a mistake in Hibs part. No one in their right mind would've free'd Doidge.

LaMotta
08-03-2022, 01:38 PM

No chance that was a mistake from Ross.

Stevie Reid
08-03-2022, 01:43 PM

Nah, your post is revisionist nonsense.

This thread says it all:

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?354808-Doidge-new-contract&highlight=doidge+new+contract

We took a risk, resigning a prized asset when he was injured, and we were in a stronger negotiating position - if we hadn't, he'd returned and continued scoring, then left on a free, the club would have been slaughtered for it.

I do think we could have managed his return from injury better, but if he can get back up to speed, he'll be a big player for us again.

Lago
08-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Absolutely was not a mistake in Hibs part. No one in their right mind would've free'd Doidge.
Time will tell, especially he doesn't start doing what he's paid for, score!

Since452
08-03-2022, 04:11 PM

The majority of folk were delighted when he signed an extension.

Lago
08-03-2022, 05:37 PM
The majority of folk were delighted when he signed an extension.
That was then, but if he doesn't start sticking the ball in the net just watch the fans changing their opinion, in fact I would suggest it's already started.

Allant1981
08-03-2022, 05:46 PM

He was one of our top goals scorers last season so made perfect sense, if we hadnt and he went on a free folk would have been moaning as usual

loanheadhibby
08-03-2022, 07:21 PM
I think so too. Needs time and fitness. Doidge is a streaky goalscorer, but his effort and mentality is what we need. He celebrates teammates goals as much as his own. A real team player and on his day, a brilliant striker. Got a brutal injury and came back into a really struggling side.

Pre season and some goals and we'll be laughing.
A lot if what you say on the net makes sense but Doidge is a very average SPL centre forward and at the moment he is toiling.
A brilliant striker he is not.