PDA

View Full Version : Did £5 football work…. You decide

Fifehibee1960
06-03-2022, 12:55 PM
The crowd was definitely better with the keen price than if it was full price…. We had a great chance to show off the team and bring fans back to easter road… but that’s where it stopped as the performance was rank rotten. I bought 4 extra tickets and could only give two away. The two that did turn up said nothing on show would make them come back. What a great chance wasted

Wilson
06-03-2022, 12:58 PM
You don't judge the success or failure on one attempt. The scheme got a turnout. Partially successful. We need the turnout and a performance for the next attempt.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 01:00 PM
I thought it worked other than opening up to a whole bunch more of the irritating Perth types when there’s normally about two dozen attend.

Fifehibee1960
06-03-2022, 01:01 PM
It was a success in bringing extra fans in and there were even more stJohnstone fans…. All that effort and cost and we fail miserably on the park

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 01:02 PM
It was a success in bringing extra fans in and there were even more stJohnstone fans…. All that effort and cost and we fail miserably on the park

You answering your own question Fifehibee? :greengrin

Hibee ultra
06-03-2022, 01:03 PM
St Johnstone fans singing about our home support was one of the funniest things I have ever heard in many years following hibs and Sunderland around the country

Fifehibee1960
06-03-2022, 01:05 PM
You answering your own question Fifehibee? :greengrin

No I answered half my question….

Fifehibee1960
06-03-2022, 01:06 PM
St Johnstone fans singing about our home support was one of the funniest things I have ever heard in many years following hibs and Sunderland around the country

Yes they have hard necks

Coco Bryce
06-03-2022, 01:08 PM
The team done their best to make sure these fans won't be back.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 01:08 PM
Yes they have hard necks

Be tough when they start shaving.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2022, 01:12 PM
It certainly worked from the perspective of getting more fans in the stadium so it was a success on that basis.

However when we play Dundee Utd in our next home game on 2nd April I doubt if yesterday's performance will persuade anyone who is on the fence about attending to part with the £32 that it will cost for most adult tickets that day.

Keith_M
06-03-2022, 01:13 PM
I thought it worked other than opening up to a whole bunch more of the irritating Perth types when there’s normally about two dozen attend.

I'm glad they came, so we at least had a bit of atmosphere.

They certainly know how to celebrate a 0-0 draw.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 01:14 PM
It worked in terms of making the matchday experience a lot better. I doubt it made too much sense financially.

JohnM1875
06-03-2022, 01:15 PM

Thought their library chant was quite funny. Fair play to them, came through in numbers and created an atmosphere.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 01:15 PM
I'm glad they came, so we at least had a bit of atmosphere.

They certainly know how to celebrate a 0-0 draw.

There was plenty atmosphere at the 0-0 draw at Easter Road last week. Were you glad they came?

Mcbizz1998
06-03-2022, 01:28 PM
It just worries me that with a sell out, there were still a lot of empty seats. So we either have a large portion of our season ticket holders not turning up, or people buying tickets for a fiver and then just deciding they can’t actually be bothered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Hi-Bee
06-03-2022, 02:49 PM
The crowd was definitely better with the keen price than if it was full price…. We had a great chance to show off the team and bring fans back to easter road… but that’s where it stopped as the performance was rank rotten. I bought 4 extra tickets and could only give two away. The two that did turn up said nothing on show would make them come back. What a great chance wasted

I think I will leave this one to the Hibs owners and management, as I believe they do have a little bit more experience of what works in business and what does not. One thing for sure it was a great initiative and allowed many disadvantaged to go to a game when perhaps they would not have been able to go. I would take a free or reduced cinema ticket even if the film was crap.
:greengrin

Northernhibee
06-03-2022, 03:16 PM
No, I don't think it did. I can only imagine that the short term to mid term goal would have been to convince people that a season ticket for next year may be a good investment and I'd be amazed if more than a handful of switherers would have watched that and been convinced to take the plunge.

keep the faith
06-03-2022, 03:23 PM
It absolutely did.

A buzz in the stadium, a packed clubstore and busy food kiosks and an away support who are never normally there.
I hope the extra march day purchases made it worthwhile for the club as for me, cheaper tickets and more supporters spending in the stadium is the way to go.
The product on the pitch however....

BlackSheep
06-03-2022, 03:58 PM
When Allan and Melkerson came on it really lifted the crowd and in turn that lifted the players… the last 30 mins the crowd did their part… but all in all the performance left a lot to be desired… I heard a lot of folk joking that they’d paid a fiver for the dross on show!

NAE NOOKIE
06-03-2022, 04:00 PM
The elephant in the room is what we are charging normally ... folk are saying £32 for a normal adult ticket for Dundee Utd ... that is overpriced by around £7 and no amount of £5 a pop matches is going to cover up the absolute fact that prices like that are not only pricing out a lot of folk who would like to go regularly but simply can't at these prices, but also putting off people who like to get value for money, which £32 for the Scottish premier league certainly isn't.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 04:07 PM
It got people in but I’m pretty sure not many of those will be rushing back. I’d do it again once we have a team in a bit of form.

GreenGray
06-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Despite the “sell out” the home atmosphere was so bad. Suppose the team didn’t give us much to chant about but was so flat. Singing section needs moved rather than right up against the side of the stand.

heid the baw
06-03-2022, 04:34 PM

I thought that was quite witty as well. Fair play to them for a wee tongue in cheek song.

matty_f
06-03-2022, 04:41 PM
If I was making the decisions at Hibs I’d be doing my best to get prices as low as possible and then focus on the spend per seat.

Although not every seat was filled yesterday, it was brilliant seeing so many in the stadium - the football won’t be terrible every time.

Hibs could also consider giving everyone who attended a voucher for (for example) a tenner off another specified match so you might get more of those folk coming back than we might otherwise. Obviously there’sa consideration to be made to session tickets value but if it’s played right then it could work.

Tommy75
06-03-2022, 04:48 PM
If any kids/families made it along who wouldn't have had it been full price then that's a success to me.

Yes, the Board will be interested in the figures and profit margins, but in what is a pretty miserable world right now, giving folk access to a game of football for a fiver is great and I am glad the club went with this initiative.

Billy Whizz
06-03-2022, 04:54 PM
If I was making the decisions at Hibs I’d be doing my best to get prices as low as possible and then focus on the spend per seat.

Although not every seat was filled yesterday, it was brilliant seeing so many in the stadium - the football won’t be terrible every time.

Hibs could also consider giving everyone who attended a voucher for (for example) a tenner off another specified match so you might get more of those folk coming back than we might otherwise. Obviously there’sa consideration to be made to session tickets value but if it’s played right then it could work.

Matty as a season ticket holder I’m comfortable with his as a one off. Think this is the 3rd time this season we’ve offered cheaper tickets for home games. Think it was Livingston and Dundee games either side of Christmas. Can’t remember what price they were

Difficulty they have is with so many no shows each week, it could stop some season ticket holders who haven’t been showing (whatever their reason), to pick and choose their games, if we continue with upto 3 discounted games

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2022, 04:59 PM
I've been in a better atmosphere with only 5000 in the ground.

Tommy75
06-03-2022, 06:15 PM

At Easter Road?

06-03-2022, 06:59 PM
It got people in but I’m pretty sure not many of those will be rushing back. I’d do it again once we have a team in a bit of form.

I attended. I am a pensioner who drove 150 miles to be there and whilst I didn’t enjoy the performance or result I appreciated the initiative from the club. I am not a season ticket holder but was there for the Ross County game and hoped for a similar result but to no avail. SM as manager is going through an unprecedented period of not having first choice players available at the moment and he and the team need every bit of support they can get.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2022, 07:00 PM
At Easter Road?

Yes

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 07:00 PM
I attended. I am a pensioner who drove 150 miles to be there and whilst I didn’t enjoy the performance or result I appreciated the initiative from the club. I am not a season ticket holder but was there for the Ross County game and hoped for a similar result but to no avail. SM as manager is going through an unprecedented period of not having first choice players available at the moment and he and the team need every bit of support they can get.

:aok:

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 07:01 PM
Yes

Was it that Ladies game then?

Tommy75
06-03-2022, 07:02 PM
Yes

What game(s)?

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2022, 07:18 PM
What game(s)?

Several, under the cowshed in the 1960s.

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 07:29 PM
I’m not from a Hibs supporting family, I got into watching Hibs via the free tickets given to Hibs Kids during the 90s. It wasn’t until my fifth game at Easter Road that I actually saw us win (thanks Alex Miller!) but as a kid I was hooked. Back of a fag packet Maths here but since then I’ve probably spent upwards of £10k on season tickets, cup tickets, merchandise, food, hospitality, shares/HSL, events all going directly to Hibs. If yesterday’s initiative managed to get say 10 people hooked on Hibs like I was, the amount those fans could contribute over their lifetime would probably more than cover the cost of such an initiative.

Nakedmanoncrack
06-03-2022, 07:39 PM

So have I, not difficult considering there was absolutely no atmosphere from the home support yesterday.

hibbyfraelibby
06-03-2022, 07:43 PM
Stadium was still half empty...and we boosted the opposition support.

Frazerbob
06-03-2022, 07:50 PM
Of course it worked. There was around twice as many fans in the stadium than there would’ve been at £28. Great to see a decent traveling support, many of whom made a weekend in Edinburgh of it. My sister attended her first game in over 20 years and her grandson his first ever game. He loved it. The positive publicity on TV and radio made a pleasant change too.

Sir David Gray
06-03-2022, 07:59 PM

There were a lot more than 10,000 people in attendance yesterday.

eastterrace
06-03-2022, 08:06 PM
It just worries me that with a sell out, there were still a lot of empty seats. So we either have a large portion of our season ticket holders not turning up, or people buying tickets for a fiver and then just deciding they can’t actually be bothered?

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI had four season ticket holders next to me who didn’t turn up for one reason or another.

eastterrace
06-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Stadium was still half empty...and we boosted the opposition support.you need to go to spec savers if you thought the ground was half empty.

Hibee ultra
06-03-2022, 08:10 PM
I had four season ticket holders next to me who didn’t turn up for one reason or another.

That’s the problem this season and why it looks so bad if you take our official attendances and compare to the the other lot there’s not much difference between them about as much as you would expect when they’re in good form and we are not but it’s season-ticket holders that don’t turn up that makes the stadium feel empty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibby rae
06-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Was it that Ladies game then?

That was a great atmosphere the night the Women did Hearts

hibby rae
06-03-2022, 08:12 PM
Despite the “sell out” the home atmosphere was so bad. Suppose the team didn’t give us much to chant about but was so flat. Singing section needs moved rather than right up against the side of the stand.

Where to?

Have they not been moved twice already?

hibby rae
06-03-2022, 08:13 PM

Must take ages to drive to Edinburgh and back in a tractor though

xyz23jc
06-03-2022, 09:55 PM

:agree::thumbsup::top marks

Brooster
07-03-2022, 06:59 AM
Of course the initiative worked in terms of increasing the crown and the atmosphere. It allowed families to attend who normally cannot afford to go. 3 points and a good performance were never guaranteed, those saying they won't be back because of that are maybe not the type of 'fans' we need, after all we don't follow Hibs because they are good!

kennyh
07-03-2022, 08:13 AM
It was a great initiative from the board to entice more people into the stadium. There were two guys beside me who hadn't been in years but were slowly getting into it, both bought pies and juice so Hibs get best part of £20 extra from those two alone. If folk like that they get the bug again and come back that would be great but we really needed a performance which was sadly lacking.

I brought my daughter who used to only want to go to big games as she loves the atmosphere but she is now happy attending any games and she brought a pal for her first Hibs game and I thought would have been bored senseless but she said she loved it and would come back. prior to the game I told them the atmosphere would be good as Saintees had 2000 fans when normally it would ne 2-300 and our singing section would get the East going and with a goal or two it could have been a memorable day. Sadly they both asked me why the away fans made tons of noise and Hibs fans none at all, we were FF upper and after the first 10 mins it was as the St J fans said like a library.

In the shop before KO an there were many tourists as i heard several languages as I wandered round all had scarfs, t-shirts etc and maybe they would have came down to Easter Rd at £25-30 but I am sure the fiver initiative brought many folk to Easter Rd for the first time as well as lapsed fans.

Clearly it cant happen too often or it would devalue the ST too much but no harm in doing this once a year.

where'stheslope
07-03-2022, 09:08 AM
It was a great initiative from the board to entice more people into the stadium. There were two guys beside me who hadn't been in years but were slowly getting into it, both bought pies and juice so Hibs get best part of £20 extra from those two alone. If folk like that they get the bug again and come back that would be great but we really needed a performance which was sadly lacking.

I brought my daughter who used to only want to go to big games as she loves the atmosphere but she is now happy attending any games and she brought a pal for her first Hibs game and I thought would have been bored senseless but she said she loved it and would come back. prior to the game I told them the atmosphere would be good as Saintees had 2000 fans when normally it would ne 2-300 and our singing section would get the East going and with a goal or two it could have been a memorable day. Sadly they both asked me why the away fans made tons of noise and Hibs fans none at all, we were FF upper and after the first 10 mins it was as the St J fans said like a library.

In the shop before KO an there were many tourists as i heard several languages as I wandered round all had scarfs, t-shirts etc and maybe they would have came down to Easter Rd at £25-30 but I am sure the fiver initiative brought many folk to Easter Rd for the first time as well as lapsed fans.

Clearly it cant happen too often or it would devalue the ST too much but no harm in doing this once a year.
This is the only problem with £5 a ticket!
Loyal season ticket holders pay out early so the club gets money up front, so when games are only a fiver they feel cheated, especially when we are playing the way we are just now!!!

superfurryhibby
07-03-2022, 09:35 AM

Not really, I would have said there was 15,000 in the ground and the St J's fans created a bit atmosphere.

A wee bit positivity around this initiative wouldn't hurt. I remember being skint and picking and choosing matches when my eldest was a boy.

WestStandWillie
07-03-2022, 12:50 PM
Was braw seeing bigger crowd but there were a few bangers sitting around us. Getting mixed up between Jasper and Mueller was a particular highlight.

Scouse Hibee
07-03-2022, 02:50 PM
It achieved it’s goal even if the team on the park didn’t.

hibsforeurope
07-03-2022, 03:21 PM
It worked on the day, crowds were up on the average attendance. The big test is how many of those who came along, who don't normally go, will be back at the Utd game in April.

Also it would be interesting to see if the takings at the shop and concession stands were up on the usual.

SlickShoes
07-03-2022, 03:46 PM
I drove through from Ayrshire for it, probably wouldn't have if it was £25+, my mum ended up going as well.

It is sport though so getting your desired outcome is never guaranteed, and that is why sport is exciting. Sometimes it ends up 0-0 though....

kaimendhibs
07-03-2022, 04:34 PM
There was a big Q for the club shop after the match so poss a big lift in Merch sales

Phil MaGlass
07-03-2022, 04:44 PM
Loyal season ticket holders pay out early so the club gets money up front, so when games are only a fiver they feel cheated, especially when we are playing the way we are just now!!!

I have yet to find anyone who feels cheated due to the fiver game? I do get the point that it cant happen too often, I reckon the club made a wee profit from the game.

A Hi-Bee
07-03-2022, 05:10 PM

I have supported for nearly 60 years and I certainly dont feel cheated, not really getting your point here? You dont speak for me thats for sure.
:thumbsup:

Peanut Shaz
07-03-2022, 06:37 PM

Not me. I buy my season ticket so I can sit with the same people every week, be guaranteed tickets for Hampden, be in with a good shout for premium away tickets. I can't guarantee I'll make every game in a season anyway so I'm already losing the financial benefit.

JimBHibees
08-03-2022, 11:55 AM

Didnt feel cheated in any way was good to get a bigger crowd in the stadium. Should definitely do it again

Coco Bryce
08-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Not many stadiums you'll get a Tenor (Soprano didnae rhyme) for a fiver.

where'stheslope
08-03-2022, 02:54 PM
I have yet to find anyone who feels cheated due to the fiver game? I do get the point that it cant happen too often, I reckon the club made a wee profit from the game.
If you read the quote I had highlighted, it was if it was to happen more often fans would feel cheated, not just one game.

hfcok
08-03-2022, 03:26 PM
Defo made a profit, £5 is better than nothing, as the seats would have been empty, and maybe a wee pick up on the food and drink as well.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2022, 05:00 PM
Defo made a profit, £5 is better than nothing, as the seats would have been empty, and maybe a wee pick up on the food and drink as well.

I doubt we made a profit to be honest - we probably made somewhere in the region of £40,000 from ticket sales on Saturday, if we had normal ticket prices in place then we would probably have made somewhere in the region of £70,000.

I can't see us having sold over £30,000 worth of food and drink on Saturday.

Saturday was really just an attempt at trying to bring back some of the support who maybe haven't been in a while rather than it being an attempt to make a profit.

gegs70
08-03-2022, 10:59 PM
Short term I guess it did, more peoprl in the stadium buying food, don't know what the shop was like but they did have an offer on tops which would have done well. Long term not sure, singer did well. Product on the park was poor for 60 minutes or so. I suppose bright side we didn't lose. Scott Allan and the 2 Norwegians did well when they came on.

hfcok
09-03-2022, 05:05 AM
I doubt we made a profit to be honest - we probably made somewhere in the region of £40,000 from ticket sales on Saturday, if we had normal ticket prices in place then we would probably have made somewhere in the region of £70,000.

I can't see us having sold over £30,000 worth of food and drink on Saturday.

Saturday was really just an attempt at trying to bring back some of the support who maybe haven't been in a while rather than it being an attempt to make a profit.

Yeh I see what you mean, but no way we would have sold all these seats, so £5 for an empty seat is better than nothing.

Sir David Gray
09-03-2022, 07:00 AM
Yeh I see what you mean, but no way we would have sold all these seats, so £5 for an empty seat is better than nothing.

Yes I agree it was better from a full house point of view which I believe was the whole point of the exercise.

I just don't agree that we made a profit as even if we had sold around 1,500 walk ups on Saturday at normal prices we would have made more than we did with the roughly 8,000 walk ups we sold for £5.

CapitalGreen
09-03-2022, 08:25 AM
Yes I agree it was better from a full house point of view which I believe was the whole point of the exercise.

I just don't agree that we made a profit as even if we had sold around 1,500 walk ups on Saturday at normal prices we would have made more than we did with the roughly 8,000 walk ups we sold for £5.

Using your figures and using the price of an adult ticket for the September fixture, £26.

1,500 x £26 = £39,000*
8,000 x £5 = £40,000

*This assumes all walk ups bought Adult tickets which obviously would be far from the case. Under 12’s were only £6 for example.

Add on all the additional spending that an extra 6,500 attendees would bring then there is a clear difference.

Sir David Gray
09-03-2022, 10:14 AM
Using your figures and using the price of an adult ticket for the September fixture, £26.

1,500 x £26 = £39,000*
8,000 x £5 = £40,000

*This assumes all walk ups bought Adult tickets which obviously would be far from the case. Under 12’s were only £6 for example.

Add on all the additional spending that an extra 6,500 attendees would bring then there is a clear difference.

Adult walk ups in gold sections (vast majority of the stadium) for category C games this season cost £28.

I also reckon there would have been more than 1,500 walk ups on Saturday if we had been charging full price.

CapitalGreen
09-03-2022, 10:52 AM
Adult walk ups in gold sections (vast majority of the stadium) for category C games this season cost £28.

I also reckon there would have been more than 1,500 walk ups on Saturday if we had been charging full price.

Is there many walk up seats available in gold sections, the vast majority of these seats will be already taken up by season ticket holders. Regardless, only the club will know whether they made a profit or not but the numbers will certainly look positive from their point of view.