PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell

Pages : [1] 2

Stuart93
05-03-2022, 11:42 PM
Surprised he got away without getting a thread created.

Someone was saying to me today that kelty were supposedly sniffing about at the start of the season and unfortunately that’s probably his level.

I watched him quite a bit today and the amount of times he hid behind a st J player in the middle of the park was mental. At times there was huge gaps he could’ve moved into to pick the ball up but decided not to move and instead point at everyone else.

I know he probably wouldn’t be near the team if we were at full fitness but he should be doing a lot more now he’s getting a chance. Genuinely like a man down

Hibbyradge
05-03-2022, 11:43 PM
Good thread. Helpful.

MWHIBBIES
05-03-2022, 11:46 PM
Couldn't agree more. Not having the age thing, we have players around his age playing far, far better. Almost cost us in both halfs with poor passes, and Ryan correctly going nuts at him after it. JDH isn't great, but he is actually miles ahead of Campbell in terms of his involvement. Always looking to take the ball and move it. Campbell, as far as I can see, offers nothing except some running about.

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2022, 11:49 PM
a mega-long contract in his back pocket

hibee-boys
05-03-2022, 11:57 PM
I actually feel for the lad, he’s that much out his depth it’s painful to watch. Appreciate someone thought it was a good idea to dish out a 3 year contract but he’s not good enough, I honestly think he’d struggle to get a game at any other club in the Premiership.

matty_f
05-03-2022, 11:57 PM
in his defence, he wouldn’t be close to a start if Magennis and Newell were fit. We’re having to rely on him but he’s bit at their level.

Silky
06-03-2022, 12:06 AM
Good thread. Helpful.

:tee hee::tee hee: To be fair he needs a rest. I think there is something there, I just feel he has been thrust into the first team and then been relied upon every week due to injuries. He'll come good.

Turkish Green
06-03-2022, 12:42 AM
Should be nowhere near the first team. Needs growing up a bit.

CL0762
06-03-2022, 12:52 AM
He’s shown in games such as Celtic at home/Rangers at hampden he can play a specific role in the side and it works well but for games like today it’s literally pointless because creatively he offers absolutely nothing. The decision to give him a long term contract was absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenio
06-03-2022, 02:01 AM
Did he not play a blinder last week and was getting praised all over the shop?

BILLYHIBS
06-03-2022, 02:40 AM

Agree I actually noticed him last week

Never really noticed him before or yesterday for that matter

We need better and he needs to do more if he wants to stay at Hibs

Phil MaGlass
06-03-2022, 05:13 AM
Sorry, I dont get the hes not really good enough bit, I think he is and getting a good run of games will prove it, last week he was excellent one of our best players and suddenly hes not good enough. Maybe it was a fluke, who's to say, these players dont get any better with not playing.

Heisenberg
06-03-2022, 05:39 AM

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that his two best games have been against Celtc/Rangers when all he’s asked to do is run about and make a nuisance of himself/defend for the majority of the game. It’s the same reason Wright was getting praise last week. We’ve seen against Dundee and now St Johnstone just how much they struggle when asked to provide something more to the team.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 06:24 AM
Giving him the extension was madness at the time and looks an even worse decision now. He’s miles off the level we need unfortunately.

18Craig75
06-03-2022, 06:25 AM
Don’t think it’s a coincidence that his two best games have been against Celtc/Rangers when all he’s asked to do is run about and make a nuisance of himself/defend for the majority of the game. It’s the same reason Wright was getting praise last week. We’ve seen against Dundee and now St Johnstone just how much they struggle when asked to provide something more to the team.

This is exactly it. We came to the same conclusion yesterday, also had Drey Wright & Doyle-Hayes in the same bracket. JDH in particular had a 15 minute spell when he would take a pass and straight away without looking anywhere around him, he’d return it where it came from.

This is the reason we can’t create chances, too many players hiding and playing it safe. Judging by the players we’ve signed in January, I’m confident this will be addressed properly in the summer. Unfortunate about the long deals.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 06:26 AM
What a shocking thread.

Pretty Boy
06-03-2022, 06:37 AM
in his defence, he wouldn’t be close to a start if Magennis and Newell were fit. We’re having to rely on him but he’s bit at their level.

The issue is someone at the club thought it was a good idea to give him a long term contract.

We have a guy who is almost 22 so not a bairn, who has played not a kick in the erse of 100 senior games so not inexperienced on a 3 year contract and he is miles off it.

He wouldn't be close to a start if those mentioned were fit, if we finally get recruitment right in the summer he'll be even further from a start but we are tied to paying him a wage until 2025. I'd love him to shut me and everyone else up and prove us wrong but there isn't one element of his game that stands out as being something to work with beyond him trying hard.

Stanton Spence
06-03-2022, 06:45 AM
The issue is someone at the club thought it was a good idea to give him a long term contract.

We have a guy who is almost 22 so not a bairn, who has played not a kick in the erse of 100 senior games so not inexperienced on a 3 year contract and he is miles off it.

He wouldn't be close to a start if those mentioned were fit, if we finally get recruitment right in the summer he'll be even further from a start but we are tied to paying him a wage until 2025. I'd love him to shut me and everyone else up and prove us wrong but there isn't one element of his game that stands out as being something to work with beyond him trying hard.Pretty much says it all good post mate

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2022, 06:47 AM
What a shocking thread.

Agree. Pathetic stuff.

wills
06-03-2022, 06:52 AM
What a shocking thread.

totally agree, young player who has broke into the first team this season. Josh has great energy and will continue to improve. We have no experience in the middle of the park to guide the youngsters. To single out Campbell when JDH and Wright hide is ludicrous, get off the laddies back.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 06:52 AM
What a shocking thread.

Care to tell us what Campbell brings to the table if that’s the case? Other than trying I don’t think most of us can see it.

McD
06-03-2022, 07:07 AM
Sorry, I dont get the hes not really good enough bit, I think he is and getting a good run of games will prove it, last week he was excellent one of our best players and suddenly hes not good enough. Maybe it was a fluke, who's to say, these players dont get any better with not playing.

hes been involved in pretty much every match or squad since the ranger semi final, he’s had a good run of games.

what he’s proven is that in games where he’s tasked with making a nuisance of himself against good opposition midfielders, he’ll do a turn. When he’s asked to do anything else, he struggles. He’s given the ball away on multiple occasions in dangerous areas (twice yesterday alone), and has a habit of always being behind opposition players when we’re taking throw ins etc, and never moves to show for the ball.

tonyrougier123
06-03-2022, 07:11 AM
Care to tell us what Campbell brings to the table if that’s the case? Other than trying I don’t think most of us can see it.

Breaks up play.
Supports in attack and defence.
Puts pressure on the opposition.
Man of the match performance last week.
Currently playing in a makeshift team not conceding many goals.

21 matches played,one goal,3 assists.

I like Campbell,room for improvement but the criticism is way over the top for me.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 07:12 AM

I’d say “most” are clueless reactionary morons when it comes to football.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 07:15 AM

If you’re so clued up then you’ll be able to tell all us clueless reactionary morons what we’re not seeing then?

Key West
06-03-2022, 07:15 AM
Josh at the moment wouldn’t start in a fully fit 11 but he’s a young lad who has potential and more than competent when selected to represent Hibs.

we are hibs
06-03-2022, 07:17 AM

He wouldn't be close to a start if those mentioned were fit, if we finally get recruitment right in the summer he'll be even further from a start but we are tied to paying him a wage until 2025. I'd love him to shut me and everyone else up and prove us wrong but there isn't one element of his game that stands out as being something to work with beyond him trying hard.

Agreed 100%.

Hes just not good enough. Hes no better than Scott Martin was a few years back. No one can question the engine on him but he is badly found lacking technically and its nearly cost us on a few occassions in the last 2 games in and around our box. Its not his fault but giving him a new deal on the back of a couple of games was bizarre.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brightside
If you’re so clued up then you’ll be able to tell all us clueless reactionary morons what we’re not seeing then?

What’s your job?

Stubbsy90+2
Breaks up play.
Supports in attack and defence.
Puts pressure on the opposition.
Man of the match performance last week.
Currently playing in a makeshift team not conceding many goals.

21 matches played,one goal,3 assists.

I like Campbell,room for improvement but the criticism is way over the top for me.

He doesn’t support anything in attack for me. He can’t pass a ball and can’t dribble. Short of potentially running up and down the pitch and just being in the vicinity then I’m not sure how he’s supporting our attack.

For me, he runs about a bit. He gets beat far too easy one-on-one, is a terrible passer, constantly wants to offload the ball back the way (probably because he’s such a poor passer) and offers nothing going forward.

Tyler Durden
06-03-2022, 07:18 AM
Letting Hallberg go without a replacement coming in was an awful decision by Maloney. It means we literally have no option than persist with the 2 CMs.

Maybe next week we can get Lewis back in there.

The Campbell extension was extreme but what about Doyle Hayes? A player we actually recruited…. he’s nowhere near good enough either.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 07:18 AM
What’s your job?

What? :confused:

After asking you twice I’m going to hazard a guess that you can’t really put forward a decent defence and that’s why you’re resorting to calling people morons.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 07:20 AM
He doesn’t support anything in attack for me. He can’t pass a ball and can’t dribble. Short of potentially running up and down the pitch and just being in the vicinity then I’m not sure how he’s supporting our attack.

For me, he runs about a bit. He gets beat far too easy one-on-one, is a terrible passer, constantly wants to offload the ball back the way (probably because he’s such a poor passer) and offers nothing going forward.
Can’t pass a ball? Clueless.

Key West
06-03-2022, 07:20 AM

Don’t flatter yourself.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 07:21 AM
What? :confused:

After asking you twice I’m going to hazard a guess that you can’t really put forward a decent defence and that’s why you’re resorting to calling people morons.

I think you are really terrible at your job. Your workplace would improve massively if they got rid of you. Just my opinion. If you think Josh Campbell is a terrible passer of a football you simply don’t watch the game.

tonyrougier123
06-03-2022, 07:21 AM
Btw most on here would start joe newell over Campbell If I’m gauging this correct?

Played 19
Zero goals
2 assists.

I’ve seen newell give the ball away a lot as well.
Plus 5 yellows to Josh’s 4 in less games.

Currently hiding in the treatment room again.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 07:22 AM
Can’t pass a ball? Clueless.

:faf:

Your ability to defend him whilst not putting forward any sort of defence of him is admirable.

tonyrougier123
06-03-2022, 07:23 AM

3 assists pal,currently out performing most of our midfield.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 07:24 AM
I think you are really terrible at your job. Your workplace would improve massively if they got rid of you. Just my opinion. If you think Josh Campbell is a terrible passer of a football you simply don’t watch the game.

What a strange post.

That would work if you knew anything about me, had watched me doing my job and had god knows how many other people to compare me doing my job who are doing a similar role to me.

As it is, your posts are all just a bit strange.

If you think Josh Campbell is a good passer of the ball then you simply do not watch the game.

Anyway, I’m not going to get into a debate with you as your defence of him seems to be based purely on slagging other posters.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 07:24 AM
:faf:

Your ability to defend him whilst not putting forward any sort of defence of him is admirable.

Imagine defending our players.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 07:28 AM
What a strange post.

That would work if you knew anything about me, had watched me doing my job and had god knows how many other people to compare me doing my job who are doing a similar role to me.

If you think Josh Campbell is a good passer of the ball then you simply do not watch the game.

Anyway, I’m not going to get into a debate with you as your defence of him seems to be based purely on slagging other posters.

There is not a debate. You’ve slagged a player off with zero evidence. There was a thread only last week saying how good he had been in the last few games. Did you add to that?

JimBHibees
06-03-2022, 07:30 AM
Surprised he got away without getting a thread created.

Someone was saying to me today that kelty were supposedly sniffing about at the start of the season and unfortunately that’s probably his level.

I watched him quite a bit today and the amount of times he hid behind a st J player in the middle of the park was mental. At times there was huge gaps he could’ve moved into to pick the ball up but decided not to move and instead point at everyone else.

I know he probably wouldn’t be near the team if we were at full fitness but he should be doing a lot more now he’s getting a chance. Genuinely like a man down

Quality. Not great yesterday but very good and motm against Celtic.

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 07:31 AM
Btw most on here would start joe newell over Campbell If I’m gauging this correct?

Played 19
Zero goals
2 assists.

“Statistics are just a bit of information that we have, but there are players that make the team play good and are not in the statistics…It’s how you play if you perform to your maximum, to your best, help your team-mates to make the process defensively and offensively better, that is enough. Thanks to that we are going to win."
- Pep Guardiola

Your eyes must be painted on if you think Newell replacing Campbell wouldn’t improve our team.

Brightside
06-03-2022, 07:31 AM
What a strange post.

I see you are also saying Henderson is rubbish too. So I’m going to suggest your ability to comment on footballers is massively flawed. Have a good weekend.

tonyrougier123
06-03-2022, 07:32 AM
Jake Doyle-Hayes

28 matches played
2 goals
0 assists
9 yellows

Josh Campbell

21 matches played
1 goal
3 assists
4 yellows

Joe Newell

19 matches played
0 goals
2 assists
5 yellows

JimBHibees
06-03-2022, 07:33 AM

Yep man of the match against the league leaders.

hibbysam
06-03-2022, 07:33 AM
Tries his heart out, runs about, but his technical ability is so far away from what we need. Does a job in our bigger games putting himself about, but games like today he’s lost. His attempted 5 yard pass to the left wing second half that missed its target by miles summed it up.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 07:34 AM
I see you are also saying Henderson is rubbish too. So I’m going to suggest your ability to comment on footballers is massively flawed. Have a good weekend.

Are you still talking about me rather than football? :confused:

Pretty Boy
06-03-2022, 07:35 AM
We are currently 4th in the league but in terms of points are only 1 point closer to 3rd than we are to the bottom. I think that's a pretty fair reflection of our results and performances across the entire season. With our next 3 games against 2 teams in that bunch flitting between top and bottom 6 and then Hearts I would say our top 6 hopes are very much in the balance and I'd lean towards saying we might just miss out.

If our arpirations as a club are to close that gap on 3rd and indeed overhaul it then I think we need to be honest about where we are as a squad. I think that means that we are going to have to go out and sign 2 midfielders, as starters. That in turn means the likes of Doyle-Hayes, Newell and Campbell dropping down the pecking order. Is anyone really going to be that upset if that's the case? I'm doubtful many will be shedding tears.

If I was envisaging Campbell in 2 or 3 years would it be at a resurgent Aberdeen or Dundee Utd battling us for 3rd or plugging away like Halberg and Martin at the likes of St Johnstone, Hamilton or Dundee. He's not a terrible player but he's not a player who has you battling for 3rd place either.

Forza Fred
06-03-2022, 07:36 AM
Not the most positive thread I’ve seen, but a salutary lesson perhaps for those who howl that ‘we should give the kids a go, they can’t do any worse’

Josh, wouldn’t be a regular starter in the first 11 at the moment if everybody was fit and surely would have been rested by now.

But he is thrown into the fray because he is seen as the best option available in these troubled times.

I’d cut him a bit slack before writing him off…young players tend to be hot and cold in their early games, and I’m sure after a spell, he’ll come back a better player.

B.H.F.C
06-03-2022, 07:37 AM
I feel sorry for him. He’s a Hibs supporter, he wants to do well, he tries his best but he’s just not got it. He looks scared to get on the ball at times and has a habit of putting us in trouble by giving the ball away in dangerous areas because he’s playing an negative pass.

I can’t believe we thought he was worth a three year deal.

scoopyboy
06-03-2022, 07:37 AM
It's a strange one.

Most agree he's played well against the Old Firm, including me.

However, against the so called "lesser teams" where we are expected to win or at least have the bulk of the possession he doesn't contribute an awful lot in terms of positive play.

I was surprised when he got a three year extension but I don't think it's a huge financial gamble as he won't be earning that much.

He just might be a late developer, time will tell.

He's got a good physique and a good engine but no doubt needs to improve and show more.

Maybe next season when surely we will be stronger a spell in the B team might help him.

Bottom line is I haven't a clue how it will pan out.

Key West
06-03-2022, 07:39 AM
Don’t flatter yourself.

Not the most positive thread I’ve seen, but a salutary lesson perhaps for those who howl that ‘we should give the kids a go, they can’t do any worse’

Josh, wouldn’t be a regular starter in the first 11 at the moment if everybody was fit and surely would have been rested by now.

But he is thrown into the fray because he is seen as the best option available in these troubled times.

I’d cut him a bit slack before writing him off…young players tend to be hot and cold in their early games, and I’m sure after a spell, he’ll come back a better player.

Sensible post.

easty
06-03-2022, 07:41 AM
He’d not get a game at any other SPL team. He’s way way out of his depth at this level.

I get why folk are defending him, and I agree that slating him doesn’t actually achieve anything, but folk aren’t doing it because they don’t like him. He could be the nicest guy in the world. Great, good for him. He’s been ****ing terrible on the pitch. Aye, he did well running about and harassing Celtc, and we got a good result. So what though? That happens loads when teams play against better sides. I’ve seen teams do it against us. It doesn’t mean you’re a great player.

If he was playing in League 2, we’d not even be looking at him as a potential signing.

tonyrougier123
“Statistics are just a bit of information that we have, but there are players that make the team play good and are not in the statistics…It’s how you play if you perform to your maximum, to your best, help your team-mates to make the process defensively and offensively better, that is enough. Thanks to that we are going to win."
- Pep Guardiola

Your eyes must be painted on if you think Newell replacing Campbell wouldn’t improve our team.

Aye but I think he’s playing well,and his stats compare favourably against his central partners.

The stats were put up because one guy thinks he doesn’t help hee haw in attack,he has 3 assists that’s more than JDH and newell added together.

He has created 3 goals for us.

One was an absolute peach of a cross to the back stick.

He breaks up play but has less yellow cards than the other two.

JimBHibees

Good post agree with that.

Allant1981
Campbell will never be a player who starts if everyone is fit, lets not kid ourselves on, he is not good enough to play for a team who wants to be finishing 3rd or 4th each season and the club have stated they want to be best of the rest, the ball he gave away for a corner yesterday is just typical of his play, played well against celtic and that cant be disputed before the resident football coach comes back. Will always back him during a game though as it does no good to have a pop and potentially make him play worse

Key West
06-03-2022, 07:42 AM
Good post agree with that.

Agree.

J-C
06-03-2022, 07:43 AM
Josh isn't a terrible or a bad player, he's just not at the level of player we need, he's a bit of a late bloomer but still making serious errors in judgement almost leading to another goal yesterday, he's a bit like Stanton, Scott Martin, Gullan and a few others, he'll make a decent living but at a lower level than us, questions need to be asked as to why he got a long term deal.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2022, 07:52 AM

Maybe you could tell us how being slating on here on here most weeks helps the guy.

easty
06-03-2022, 07:55 AM
Maybe you could tell us how being slating on here on here most weeks helps the guy.

It doesn’t. It’s not a new thing in football for fans to praise the players who do well, and criticise the ones who don’t though.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 07:57 AM

This whole forum becomes utterly pointless if people aren’t allowed go give their opinions on it.

Like it or not, footballers receive criticism. If Campbell needs to be exempt from criticism to be able to perform (which I have no doubt is not the case) then he’ll not make it at any sort of decent level.

Thankfully I’m sure he’ll be able to handle it.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2022, 08:36 AM

Played 19
Zero goals
2 assists.

Newell is miles better. Not even close. He is ****ing injured. Not hiding anywhere.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2022, 08:38 AM
totally agree, young player who has broke into the first team this season. Josh has great energy and will continue to improve. We have no experience in the middle of the park to guide the youngsters. To single out Campbell when JDH and Wright hide is ludicrous, get off the laddies back.

JDH never ever hides. Totally opposite, always wanting the ball. He is much better than Campbell

Tommy75
06-03-2022, 10:03 AM
It's a strange one.

Most agree he's played well against the Old Firm, including me.

However, against the so called "lesser teams" where we are expected to win or at least have the bulk of the possession he doesn't contribute an awful lot in terms of positive play.

I was surprised when he got a three year extension but I don't think it's a huge financial gamble as he won't be earning that much.

He just might be a late developer, time will tell.

He's got a good physique and a good engine but no doubt needs to improve and show more.

Maybe next season when surely we will be stronger a spell in the B team might help him.

Bottom line is I haven't a clue how it will pan out.

I think he has come off well against the old firm because we don't have much possession in those games. He can run about and stick his foot in here and there and that's deemed a good performance against the OF.

Against St Johnstone, Ross Co etc where we have the majority of the ball he just doesn't look up to it. Campbell has been given a chance and unfortunately for me isn't taking it.

He's a young player but he's not a youth player. He'll be 22 in a couple of months so he really needs to start contributing or he could find himself dropping down the leagues pretty quickly.

jacomo
06-03-2022, 10:21 AM

Magennis injury was a known issue in January.

Again, you have to ask why the club left us so short in the middle of the park.

Shaun’s system relies on 2 central midfielders - currently we have 2 that are fit, one of whom is Josh Campbell, plus Lewis to fill in.

Not good enough.

B.H.F.C
06-03-2022, 10:30 AM

Shaun’s system relies on 2 central midfielders - currently we have 2 that are fit, one of whom is Josh Campbell, plus Lewis to fill in.

Not good enough.

I think we were banking on Magennis being back and it’s backfired on us when he picked up a further injury.

Going forward we basically need to plan without him IMO. He’s been here for the best part of two seasons and missed god knows how many games (having missed loads of games in his last couple of seasons at St Mirren). If we ever get him fit then it’s a big bonus but we can’t plan based on it.

blackpoolhibs
06-03-2022, 10:38 AM

At the moment he's just not at the required standard to play in our team, but just at the moment he's needed, as we are down to the bare bones.

We saw again yesterday that Allan is finished, of course he has his problems, but he just cant cut it anymore, and we have to play Campbell.

Against the bigots, Campbell can be quite effective, but when we have a lot of the ball, Campbell really suffers, as he's not very good at passing or running with the ball, he's just not a very good footballer.

As you said, he wont be anywhere near the team when we get players back, and the long contract does seem a little strange.

hibby rae
06-03-2022, 10:45 AM
At the moment he's just not at the required standard to play in our team, but just at the moment he's needed, as we are down to the bare bones.

We saw again yesterday that Allan is finished, of course he has his problems, but he just cant cut it anymore, and we have to play Campbell.

Against the bigots, Campbell can be quite effective, but when we have a lot of the ball, Campbell really suffers, as he's not very good at passing or running with the ball, he's just not a very good footballer.

As you said, he wont be anywhere near the team when we get players back, and the long contract does seem a little strange.

When Allan came on yesterday we played a lot better. Not saying he's a starter every week, don't think his body could handle it, but he's nowhere near finished

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 10:49 AM
When Allan came on yesterday we played a lot better. Not saying he's a starter every week, don't think his body could handle it, but he's nowhere near finished

I’d agree but at the same time I just don’t see any way he could start a game. There’s definitely a place for him though and like you said I thought we definitely looked more dangerous when he came on with Melkersen.

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 11:02 AM

Circumstances have meant Campbell has played a lot more recently than he would have had we not been down to the bare bones. However, he will be ideal as a squad player once we get more bodies back. His salary will be low, he has development potential, has shown he can handle big occasions when called upon, local boy who supports the club and unlikely to kick up a fuss if not getting a lot of game time. If we compare him to our other squad players this season like Wright and Hallberg, he has contributed more and will probably be on less than a 3rd of their salaries.

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 11:05 AM

The problem is out of possession he is a liability, he picked up another booking yesterday similar to the Celtic game where he fouled a player who had been playing for nearly 90 minutes who’d just ghosted passed him. If we can create a role for him where he has zero defensive responsibility then it might help our lack of creativity issues but it’s not a long term solution.

500miles
06-03-2022, 11:21 AM

Did we? Allan came in, gave the ball away, got caught in possession etc.

Melkersen and Hauge have us a bit of directness and movement upbfront and should start in the next game, but Allan gave more silly possession than Campbell did across the 90.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 11:30 AM

Melkersen and Hauge have us a bit of directness and movement upbfront and should start in the next game, but Allan gave more silly possession than Campbell did across the 90.

Allan will always do that.

He’ll also come on and play positive, dangerous passes of which he completed a couple yesterday. That’s more than Josh Campbell or Doyle Hayes have done over numerous 90s. He played a more dangerous pass into Melkersen than Campbell or Doyle Hayes have played in god knows how long with his first touch.

We need someone like Allan to at least play a part in games because right now we’ve got absolutely no creativity whatsoever.

500miles
06-03-2022, 11:37 AM

He’ll also come on and play positive, dangerous passes of which he completed a couple yesterday. That’s more than Josh Campbell or Doyle Hayes have done over numerous 90s. He played a more dangerous pass into Melkersen than Campbell or Doyle Hayes have played in god knows how long with his first touch.

We need someone like Allan to at least play a part in games because right now we’ve got absolutely no creativity whatsoever.

Allan didn't create anything yesterday. It's done. He's miles off it.

Play Melkersen and give Jasper and Hendo someone to supply, maybe even supported by Doidge.

JDH and Campbell can keep us getting zero goals against with porto and whatever spare bodies he has either side of his that week.

SlickShoes
06-03-2022, 11:37 AM

Not good enough.

At that point we had Magennis on his way back AND Newell fit. So it's less of an emergency than it is right now, campbell is doing what he can but he is not the person to fill the role he currently has to.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 11:38 AM
Allan didn't create anything yesterday. It's done. He's miles off it.

Play Melkersen and give Jasper and Hendo someone to supply, maybe even supported by Doidge.

JDH and Campbell can keep us getting zero goals against with porto and whatever spare bodies he has either side of his that week.

He played a good ball into Melkersen with his first touch and a lovely reverse pass between the full back and centre half (may have been the chance where it was cut back to Melkersen).

His attacking contributions in 15 minutes yesterday outshone the whole teams over the last few games.

Diclonius
06-03-2022, 11:41 AM
Starting to remind me of Ross Chisholm. Works hard but not good enough technically.

Helensburghhibs
06-03-2022, 11:43 AM
Starting to remind me of Ross Chisholm. Works hard but not good enough technically.

Hes just frustrating. One one occasion yesterday the through ball was on, he pointed where the pass should have went before remembering he only passes towards his own goal. Nowhere near good enough ,, anyone who disagrees watch him off the ball when we have it, very rarely makes himself available and is quite happy to hide behind opposition players

SlickShoes
06-03-2022, 11:46 AM

We looked more likely to concede goals as soon as Allan stepped on the pitch, he is very far off the pace, this is no fault of his own, it's just a fact. He gets booked frequently because when he loses the ball he has to make a foul to recover.

Allan is no longer the solution and hasn't been for some time, we need to move on. Sadly we have injuries to key midfielders and didn't bring another in yet either.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 11:50 AM
We looked more likely to concede goals as soon as Allan stepped on the pitch, he is very far off the pace, this is no fault of his own, it's just a fact. He gets booked frequently because when he loses the ball he has to make a foul to recover.

Allan is no longer the solution and hasn't been for some time, we need to move on. Sadly we have injuries to key midfielders and didn't bring another in yet either.

Did we? I can’t remember ever feeling under threat from St J, either before or after Allan came on. Did they create any chances?

I’m sure someone pointed out recently as well that he’s only has 4 bookings this season in 22 appearances? As a comparison, JDH has 9 in 28 although admittedly much more minutes.

500miles
06-03-2022, 11:52 AM

He's a far better player than Chisholm, and he's physically far superior.

B.H.F.C
06-03-2022, 11:53 AM

Totally agree that Allan Ian miles off it (predominantly because he’s hardly played all season) but didn’t think we looked more like losing a goal with him on the pitch. Can’t remember them doing anything other than having a couple of corners. We did look (very slightly) brighter with him and Melkerson on the pitch for me.

hibby rae
06-03-2022, 11:53 AM

Yep, was doing what no one else had and played with his head up and put balls forward, our movement improved as well

lord bunberry
06-03-2022, 11:58 AM
Give the guy a break, he’s a young player being played out of position. He’s never been a defensive midfielder.

WeeRussell
06-03-2022, 12:01 PM
I haven’t liked the amount of stick Josh has been getting, but I have to admit to seeing a lot of what his critics have been talking about yesterday. It’s maybe a case of him being played for a longer run because we are so short just now, and he’s definitely not our biggest issue and may have something to offer us in the future m. He will surely need to improve to be playing for us regularly next season though; a comment which should apply to many.

Scott Allan’s struggle yesterday reminded me a lot of myself (difference being I was never good) when trying to return having not played games, lacking sharpness and just not managing to get my body to do what I want it to do. Saying that, he was part of the noticeable spark and uplift in tempo when him and Melkerson came on.

shetlandhibee
06-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Totally agree that Allan Ian miles off it (predominantly because he’s hardly played all season) but didn’t think we looked more like losing a goal with him on the pitch. Can’t remember them doing anything other than having a couple of corners. We did look (very slightly) brighter with him and Melkerson on the pitch for me.
:top marks yes like to see them both start the next game :agree:

jacomo
06-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Give the guy a break, he’s a young player being played out of position. He’s never been a defensive midfielder.

If he’s not, then what is he?

He’s certainly not an attacking midfielder, because he doesn’t create anything.

I think he looks better further back, and he filled in ok as a right back on one occasion. He doesn’t go box to box, he can’t shoot.

hibee-boys
06-03-2022, 12:13 PM
Aye but I think he’s playing well,and his stats compare favourably against his central partners.

The stats were put up because one guy thinks he doesn’t help hee haw in attack,he has 3 assists that’s more than JDH and newell added together.

He has created 3 goals for us.

One was an absolute peach of a cross to the back stick.

He breaks up play but has less yellow cards than the other two.

Deary me, when did we start using the number of yellows as an indicator of a player’s contribution, on that basis Roy Keane should’ve played conference football! These assist stats are a joke anyway, and I’m not just saying in reference to Josh. However, crossing the ball into the box is hardly ‘goal out of nothing’ territory and I’m assuming one of his assist starts is the 5 yard square pass to JDH in the build up play to his goal the other week, give me a break. He’s had better assists for opposition teams!

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 12:45 PM
Did we? I can’t remember ever feeling under threat from St J, either before or after Allan came on. Did they create any chances?

I’m sure someone pointed out recently as well that he’s only has 4 bookings this season in 22 appearances? As a comparison, JDH has 9 in 28 although admittedly much more minutes.

Allan has been booked every 163 minutes this season, only Rocky has a worse record of players who have played 100+ minutes this season.

JDH by comparison has a yellow every 273 minutes in a role where he is likely to be involved in a higher number of challenges.

B.H.F.C
06-03-2022, 12:55 PM
Allan has been booked every 163 minutes this season, only Rocky has a worse record of players who have played 100+ minutes this season.

JDH by comparison has a yellow every 273 minutes in a role where he is likely to be involved in a higher number of challenges.

If the frequency with which he’s being booked is being used to demonstrate that he’s finished, then his record of a direct goal involvement every 108 minutes could be used to demonstrate the opposite I suppose.

Callum_62
06-03-2022, 01:02 PM

Played 19
Zero goals
2 assists.

Currently hiding in the treatment room again.Has Joe been a regular in the treatment room?

Cant say I've noticed that
Has he been?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 01:37 PM
If the frequency with which he’s being booked is being used to demonstrate that he’s finished, then his record of a direct goal involvement every 108 minutes could be used to demonstrate the opposite I suppose.

To avoid the discussion going round in circles, see my previous post 👇

The problem is out of possession he is a liability, he picked up another booking yesterday similar to the Celtic game where he fouled a player who had been playing for nearly 90 minutes who’d just ghosted passed him. If we can create a role for him where he has zero defensive responsibility then it might help our lack of creativity issues but it’s not a long term solution.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 02:04 PM

No he didn't. The lies people will make up to convince themselves that Scott Allan is "finished" is off the scale.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 02:08 PM

:agree: Exactly. Some of the attempts on here for people to justify their opinion that Allan is finished are laughable.

hibsquaker
06-03-2022, 02:23 PM
Melkerson looks like he could be a talent. Was making some good runs and looked up for it. Hauge is maybe one for the future as didn't look up to much on first showing. Regarding Allan, please let's stop the love in. He is not good enough for this level anymore. Caught in possession. Well off the pace and resorted to fouling as he couldn't keep up.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 02:59 PM
Melkerson looks like he could be a talent. Was making some good runs and looked up for it. Hauge is maybe one for the future as didn't look up to much on first showing. Regarding Allan, please let's stop the love in. He is not good enough for this level anymore. Caught in possession. Well off the pace and resorted to fouling as he couldn't keep up.

He has more direct goal contributions (6) this season than any other player in the squad available for selection right now. If he is not good enough then that speaks volumes about some of the others getting on the pitch.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 03:10 PM
He has more direct goal contributions (6) this season than any other player in the squad available for selection right now. If he is not good enough then that speaks volumes about some of the others getting on the pitch.

:agree:

An attacking player with more goal contributions than anyone else we have available despite not getting a load of minutes and apparently he’s finished because he gets booked quite frequently and isn’t great at tackling.

I hope the people who aren’t suggesting as such aren’t also the ones moaning about our lack of creative play/goals.

If we’re at the point of declaring any of our players who have weaknesses to their game finished then i think it’s safe to say every other one of our midfielders are finished with their pitiful goals/assists contributions this season.

hibsquaker
06-03-2022, 03:16 PM
Modern football at the top level requires 11 players fully fit and contributing to the team shape. Scott Allan for all his fancy passes that come off 1 in 10, is like playing with a man down. Start Scott Allan and you'll start on the back foot a few goals down before one of his "goal contributions" finally comes off. Why do you think he only comes on when we are desperate? It's because he's a risk to the shape and function of the team.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2022, 03:22 PM
Modern football at the top level requires 11 players fully fit and contributing to the team shape. Scott Allan for all his fancy passes that come off 1 in 10, is like playing with a man down. Start Scott Allan and you'll start on the back foot a few goals down before one of his "goal contributions" finally comes off. Why do you think he only comes on when we are desperate? It's because he's a risk to the shape and function of the team.

Scott Allan is less likely to cost us a goal the Campbell rn. Why did we keep a clean sheet last time Allan started if your theory is correct?

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 03:23 PM

You need to take risks in football. When you don’t, you end up with a team like us currently who can’t score goals.

If you don’t want players who take risks etc then that’s fine but I wouldn’t bother complaining when we don’t create chances or score goals.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 03:26 PM

An attacking player with more goal contributions than anyone else we have available despite not getting a load of minutes and apparently he’s finished because he gets booked quite frequently and isn’t great at tackling.

I hope the people who aren’t suggesting as such aren’t also the ones moaning about our lack of creative play/goals.

If we’re at the point of declaring any of our players who have weaknesses to their game finished then i think it’s safe to say every other one of our midfielders are finished with their pitiful goals/assists contributions this season.

We are goalless in 8 of our last 10 league games, it's mad. Allan picking up a few bookings so he's finished is one of these classic Hibs.net myths that someone mentions once and then it gets repeated like it's gospel.

Stuart93
06-03-2022, 03:27 PM

Classy

hibsquaker
06-03-2022, 03:33 PM
You need to take risks in football. When you don’t, you end up with a team like us currently who can’t score goals.

If you don’t want players who take risks etc then that’s fine but I wouldn’t bother complaining when we don’t create chances or score goals.

His lack of overall contribution to the team is a greater risk to losing a game than his 1 in 10 nice pass execution leading to a goal.

B.H.F.C
06-03-2022, 03:35 PM

It’s no really been the case in the handful of games he’s started this season though, has it? We were 3 up with him scoring and assisting at Tannadice, won 1-0 with him starting against St Johnstone, won 1-0 with him starting against Aberdeen and were 1-0 up when he left the park at Ibrox. Only game we were behind when he started was at home to Dundee Utd.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 03:37 PM

Not playing him more often is a risk to us actually winning games of football now and again.

Did you see us at Tannadice when he started the game and had a goal an assist to help us go 3 nil up before half time? That's not really starting on the back foot:wink:. He also started the last time we played St Johnstone at home - and we won 1-0.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 03:40 PM
His lack of overall contribution to the team is a greater risk to losing a game than his 1 in 10 nice pass execution leading to a goal.

No evidence to back that up.

And actually, losing the occasional game of football by taking a few risks is ok if it means you win some other games with that same approach. You'll end up with more points than drawing 0-0 every week.

BoomtownHibees
06-03-2022, 03:41 PM

We need to at some point take a wee bit of a risk to try and win a game. Why not start on the front foot, try to get ahead in the game and then be more solid as the game goes on?

hibsquaker
06-03-2022, 03:46 PM
OK I'll get back in my box, he's wonderful and the answer to everything! It's criminal we're so short of options in midfield. We should have at least got a body in, in January instead of shipping 2 out.

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2022, 03:49 PM
OK I'll get back in my box, he's wonderful and the answer to everything! It's criminal we're so short of options in midfield. We should have at least got a body in, in January instead of shipping 2 out.

Thats not true either. But maybe, just maybe, there is a middle ground between finished and prime Messi.

Nicho87
06-03-2022, 03:52 PM
I’ve never seen a youngster come from no where near the first team to just propelled into our first eleven

Nothing against Campbell as he is young

But I’m not seeing what he brings week in week out

If anything it shows how much we do miss newell

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 03:55 PM

Nobody is saying that, and I think everyone recognises he isn't the player he used to be, or someone to rely on long term.

I agree with your last two sentences.

hibsquaker
06-03-2022, 04:13 PM
We really need a defender back for the tough games before the split so we can move Lewis into the midfield to give Josh a break. Lewis was surprisingly good in there. He can actually pass a ball forward! I'm assuming Newell won't be fit - I know some don't rate him, but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Stubbsy90+2
06-03-2022, 04:15 PM
We really need a defender back for the tough games before the split so we can move Lewis into the midfield to give Josh a break. Lewis was surprisingly good in there. He can actually pass a ball forward! I'm assuming Newell won't be fit - I know some don't rate him, but he's one of the first names on the team sheet for me.

Would agree with this. Either a defender back and Lewis into midfield or Newell back. We’re desperate for one of the two.

GreenGray
06-03-2022, 04:28 PM
Hope it works out eventually but unfortunately he isn’t good enough on the ball, can do a certain job like he showed against rangers. He’s been chucked in at the deep end due to our lack of midfielders.

Did enjoy him screaming at Jasper for failing to pass for the umpteenth time this week.

Dashing Bob S
06-03-2022, 04:36 PM
I would doubt very few people here have played or coached at a high level. Yet there’s a stridency in some posts that suggests some deep expertise we should all defer to.

Criticism is fair enough, but pile on’s denigrating a young player isn’t going to improve their performance

MWHIBBIES
06-03-2022, 05:52 PM
I would doubt very few people here have played or coached at a high level. Yet there’s a stridency in some posts that suggests some deep expertise we should all defer to.

Criticism is fair enough, but pile on’s denigrating a young player isn’t going to improve their performance

There is nothing personal being aimed at him. I don't doubt his effort, but the best thing anyone can say about him is he has energy. That's not really a great argument for him.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 07:11 PM

Spot on and that stridency appears in leaps and bounds as we are now coached on here on formation, tactics, personality, mindset and sheer hipsterness. The deference to this expertise which appears to show such depth, seems that we are now wasting our time, mere mortals, plebs, the cloth caps that we are.

CapitalGreen
06-03-2022, 07:11 PM
Very similar thread this to the regular Stevenson threads we had on here just over a decade ago. https://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-179234.html

Is Campbell a world beater? No
Does he have the potential and time to improve? Yes

Once our starters return, Campbell will become an important squad player for us and he can work on developing the weaknesses in his game.

truehibernian
06-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Very similar thread this to the regular Stevenson threads we had on here just over a decade ago. https://www.hibs.net/archive/index.php/t-179234.html

Once our starters return, Campbell will become an important squad player for us and he can work on developing the weaknesses in his game.

My view is he is filling in due to injuries, but when I watch him he looks confused as to what his role is in the midfield. That comes from the manager and training though, and I think SM needs to define his role more. When I watched him as a youth player he was a more attacking midfielder, yet in the first team he is being asked to do a bit of everything which I think is confusing him. I don't think he's a good enough player at this level - and as for squad player - I want a sub who can come on and affect a game winning, drawing, or losing - and he isn't that for me either. There's nothing in his game that has me thinking he's got it to develop further (sadly). The caveat being that we have a woeful midfield which lacks energy and creation - he may surprise me if we rectify the midfield area in summer.

Wright is the same - I just don't see a good player in him. Never to the extent of booing him (or any player), but he is weak mentally. Really good players blot out the stands, he doesn't. Took the very easy options yesterday when there was space to move into - I want braver players at Hibs than that.

Unseen work
06-03-2022, 07:24 PM
I’ve said before that I have no issue or concerns with him playing against Celtic, Rangers, Hearts etc as you know exactly what you’re getting and he’ll battle non stop and cover lots of ground.

But it’s games like yesterday where he needs to improve and dominate more, drive us forward and spread the play quickly in the final third to get our match winners on the ball and in space.

Same applies to JDH.

Mr. Wonderful
06-03-2022, 07:47 PM

Very good. But we're not at the top level, far from it. And we're further away from it when we play wingers because they're good defensively

Mcbizz1998
06-03-2022, 08:19 PM
He simply isn’t good enough.

Alfred E Newman
06-03-2022, 08:26 PM
He simply isn’t good enough.

After 5 pages you come out with that cracker!
:faf::faf:

hibsquaker
06-03-2022, 09:00 PM
Very good. But we're not at the top level, far from it. And we're further away from it when we play wingers because they're good defensively

Very good. We are playing at the top level in Scotland or did you not realise with your Scott Allan blinkers on!

easty
06-03-2022, 10:01 PM

There’s no denigration going on, only criticism.

You don’t need to have coached or played, at any level at all, to be able to form an opinion on a footballers ability. I’d guess most of us have seen literally tens of thousands of hours of football, plenty enough to see what a good player is. Plenty enough to see what a good midfielder should be doing.

easty
06-03-2022, 10:03 PM

The Stevenson thread is neither here nor there, it’s irrelevant to this thread about Campbell. Just as irrelevant as comparing it to a Danny Handling thread or a Fraser Murray thread.

munchar
06-03-2022, 10:18 PM
Very good. We are playing at the top level in Scotland or did you not realise with your Scott Allan blinkers on!

Seems your opinion is that SA is finished, no matter what people say to disprove that myth. I’ll admit I am a massive SA fan. Was delighted when he came on, then he had a few minutes where he was caught in possession & picked up a silly booking. I then questioned, is he done? To his credit, he started to get into the game & had 3 or 4 sublime touches to put us in excellent attacking positions. He is by a country mile, our most talented & creative player. Granted his health issues maybe curtailing him just now, but surely the lack of minutes on the pitch is also a major factor. We don’t look like scoring from midfield with the current selections. I honestly think we will create enough chances with him on the park to score goals. Maverick players like Riorden also, do we really want to see them back defending? Let the defensive midfielders defend, & the creative midfielders attack. Actually can’t believe folk would rather watch us plodding on & hoping to create a goal rather than force the issue with a talented player like SA. The consensus is that we might concede with him starting, but we never look like creating, let alone scoring. Are folk happy with that. Give me an entertaining attack minded team over a defensive minded side every day of the week.

Regarding the topic of this thread, I don’t think any Hibs fan wants players to fail, but it’s about opinions. Campbell is young, although pushing 22 is certainly not like a 18/19 year old raw prospect. IMO, he works very hard for the team, but I’ve no idea what his strengths are. Doesn’t seem to excel at anything? Is he out of position? If so, what is his strongest position. Can’t seem to see what he’d be stronger doing?

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 10:32 PM
Seems your opinion is that SA is finished, no matter what people say to disprove that myth. I’ll admit I am a massive SA fan. Was delighted when he came on, then he had a few minutes where he was caught in possession & picked up a silly booking. I then questioned, is he done? To his credit, he started to get into the game & had 3 or 4 sublime touches to put us in excellent attacking positions. He is by a country mile, our most talented & creative player. Granted his health issues maybe curtailing him just now, but surely the lack of minutes on the pitch is also a major factor. We don’t look like scoring from midfield with the current selections. I honestly think we will create enough chances with him on the park to score goals. Maverick players like Riorden also, do we really want to see them back defending? Let the defensive midfielders defend, & the creative midfielders attack. Actually can’t believe folk would rather watch us plodding on & hoping to create a goal rather than force the issue with a talented player like SA. The consensus is that we might concede with him starting, but we never look like creating, let alone scoring. Are folk happy with that. Give me an entertaining attack minded team over a defensive minded side every day of the week.

Excellently put :agree::agree::agree:

WeeRussell
06-03-2022, 10:40 PM
Excellently put :agree::agree::agree:

Yep 👍 I agree with pretty much all of that too

shetlandhibee
06-03-2022, 10:46 PM
Yep 👍 I agree with pretty much all of that too
:top marks yea agree with all you agreeing cos i defo agree :greengrin

Stubbsy90+2
07-03-2022, 06:44 AM

Regarding the topic of this thread, I don’t think any Hibs fan wants players to fail, but it’s about opinions. Campbell is young, although pushing 22 is certainly not like a 18/19 year old raw prospect. IMO, he works very hard for the team, but I’ve no idea what his strengths are. Doesn’t seem to excel at anything? Is he out of position? If so, what is his strongest position. Can’t seem to see what he’d be stronger doing?

Key West
07-03-2022, 07:19 AM
Josh Campbell is a midfield player with energy, a decent technique and can make a tackle without the threat of getting booked all the time, he also in certain games though not recently due to a depleted squad can get into scoring positions, his role in the last few games has been to protect the defence and his positional sense is good. His performances are inconsistent and he makes errors in games but which Hibs players dont.
Is he in my opinion better than Newell, Doyle-Hayes or Magennis definitely not at this moment in time, he is technically nowhere near Scott Allan but neither are the others but he definitely affects the game more especially off the ball, Henderson is probably the closest heir to Allan but again he flits in and out of the game but it will come as he has a lot of class. The best comparisons to make with Campbell would be Gogic.

The Spaceman
07-03-2022, 07:52 AM
He’s still a young guy and have no doubts he’s been thrown into the acid bath at the moment given our injury crisis.

He simply isn’t ready for the game time he’s currently getting and, had we not had an injury crisis, he’d very likely be on loan at the likes of Kilmarnock or Dunfermline to continue his development. Don’t want to feed him to the Wolves just yet, but he’s miles off what we need in the race for Europe.

jeffers
07-03-2022, 08:25 AM

Agree with every word. I struggle to think of a player in all my time watching Hibs (maybe the guy in my avatar) who gets so much focus on what he’s not good at rather than what he excels at. I’d far rather see an out of sorts Scott Allan in the side than Drey Wright, Liam Henderson or the player the OP is about.

The Harp Awakes
07-03-2022, 09:00 AM
Josh Campbell is a midfield player with energy, a decent technique and can make a tackle without the threat of getting booked all the time, he also in certain games though not recently due to a depleted squad can get into scoring positions, his role in the last few games has been to protect the defence and his positional sense is good. His performances are inconsistent and he makes errors in games but which Hibs players dont.
Is he in my opinion better than Newell, Doyle-Hayes or Magennis definitely not at this moment in time, he is technically nowhere near Scott Allan but neither are the others but he definitely affects the game more especially off the ball, Henderson is probably the closest heir to Allan but again he flits in and out of the game but it will come as he has a lot of class. The best comparisons to make with Campbell would be Gogic.

The biggest problem for me with JC is thay he often gives up possession in really dangerous positions. We lost a goal v Livi from it, and the same happened v St J when they really should have scored.

Like most of our midfielders, his natural instinct is to pass the ball sideways or back. Individually that's not the players fault, but it just emphasises that the balance in midfield is way off. I agree with others who are saying that Allan should get a run in the team now. I know we don't have many options due to injuries but we cannot start with the same 11 again this season.

Callum_62
07-03-2022, 09:04 AM
The biggest problem for me with JC is thay he often gives up possession in really dangerous positions. We lost a goal v Livi from it, and the same happened v St J when they really should have scored.

Like most of our midfielders, his natural instinct is to pass the ball sideways or back. Individually that's not the players fault, but it just emphasises that the balance in midfield is way off. I agree with others who are saying that Allan should get a run in the team now. I know we don't have many options due to injuries but we cannot start with the same 11 again this season.I think JC lost the ball against St Johnstone which Scott Allan done almost a mirror version of

For me JC is not a first 11 player but we have very few options in there

He definately has some attributes that suggest he has potential

LaMotta
07-03-2022, 10:41 AM
I think JC lost the ball against St Johnstone which Scott Allan done almost a mirror version of

For me JC is not a first 11 player but we have very few options in there

He definately has some attributes that suggest he has potential

Allan losing the ball inside the St Johnstone half with most of the team behind him isn't even close to being a mirror version of Campbell miscontrolling the ball just outside our box then barging over a player in the box and getting lucky the ref never awarded a penalty. Campbell also gave it away just outside our box v Dundee midweek resulting in the best chance of the game for old Charlie Adam. He also did the same V Livvy costing us a goal and also Celtic costing us a goal.

LaMotta
07-03-2022, 10:45 AM
Agree with every word. I struggle to think of a player in all my time watching Hibs (maybe the guy in my avatar) who gets so much focus on what he’s not good at rather than what he excels at. I’d far rather see an out of sorts Scott Allan in the side than Drey Wright, Liam Henderson or the player the OP is about.

:agree: Mallan was very similar in that some people would just focus on his negatives rather than some of the frankly brilliant things he could do in the final third.

Key West
07-03-2022, 10:48 AM
I've no problem with players being criticised as long as it is constructive and in the context of the level we are playing at.

Callum_62
07-03-2022, 11:12 AM
Allan losing the ball inside the St Johnstone half with most of the team behind him isn't even close to being a mirror version of Campbell miscontrolling the ball just outside our box then barging over a player in the box and getting lucky the ref never awarded a penalty. Campbell also gave it away just outside our box v Dundee midweek resulting in the best chance of the game for old Charlie Adam. He also did the same V Livvy costing us a goal and also Celtic costing us a goal.Allan lost the ball well in our half, almost identical to what Campbell has done previously

Northernhibee
07-03-2022, 11:15 AM
I do think that when you look back to when Doig broke into the team, Jack Ross took him out of the team every so often to protect him and to let him work on the training ground to become a better player.

Since breaking into the first team Campbell has been involved in almost every game. There might not be many options just now but I think the lad may need a bit of a rest and come back fighting.

LaMotta
07-03-2022, 12:22 PM
Allan lost the ball well in our half, almost identical to what Campbell has done previously

No danger I'm watching back any of that turgid game again to check if this happened but if it did it clearly didn't nearly result in a goalscoring opportunity for Saints. So it's not a mirror image of the Campbell error, of which he has made far too many of a similar nature since January.

KWJ
07-03-2022, 12:26 PM
No danger I'm watching back any of that turgid game again to check if this happened but if it did it clearly didn't nearly result in a goalscoring opportunity for Saints. So it's not a mirror image of the Campbell error, of which he has made far too many of a similar nature since January.

Was almost on the half way line but it did result in a break into the box which we eventually cleared.

Stevenson can't not make that pass to Campbell because he has to worry about Campbell's pish touch.

At home to St. Johnstone I think we should be playing more Scott Allans than Josh Campbells. Maybe not so against top 6.

LaMotta
07-03-2022, 12:43 PM
Was almost on the half way line but it did result in a break into the box which we eventually cleared.

Stevenson can't not make that pass to Campbell because he has to worry about Campbell's pish touch.

At home to St. Johnstone I think we should be playing more Scott Allans than Josh Campbells. Maybe not so against top 6.

Very good points :agree:

WestStandWillie
07-03-2022, 12:47 PM
Played out of position, always going to struggle.

munchar
07-03-2022, 12:49 PM
Played out of position, always going to struggle.

What is his position? 🤷🏻

pacoluna
07-03-2022, 05:45 PM
Looks like brown wants to leave Aberdeen, exactly the kind of player hibs need!

BILLYHIBS
07-03-2022, 06:13 PM
Looks like brown wants to leave Aberdeen, exactly the kind of player hibs need!

That went well 😃

Mcbizz1998
07-03-2022, 06:20 PM
After 5 pages you come out with that cracker!
:faf::faf:

Oh sorry mate. How early is the cut off in the thread for providing an opinion?

Brightside
09-03-2022, 10:53 AM
He's in the Scotland 21 squad. i imagine that will be due to every other youth midfielder in Scotland being rubbish?? Well done to the boy.

JimBHibees
09-03-2022, 11:02 AM
He's in the Scotland 21 squad. i imagine that will be due to every other youth midfielder in Scotland being rubbish?? Well done to the boy.

Yep good news and deserved imo.

Stubbsy90+2
09-03-2022, 11:16 AM

If you’re trying to prove some sort of point, I could give you an enermous list of players who have played for Scotland U21s who are nowhere near good enough for Hibs.

Well done to Campbell for getting called up. It doesn’t really make anyones opinions less valid though.

Heisenberg
09-03-2022, 11:35 AM
If you’re trying to prove some sort of point, I could give you an enermous list of players who have played for Scotland U21s who are nowhere near good enough for Hibs.

Well done to Campbell for getting called up. It doesn’t really make anyones opinions less valid though.

The signing of Nathan Wood was defended on here because he was the England u20 captain so he must be good. Turned out he was miles out of his depth and shipped back early. It means nothing.

Stubbsy90+2
09-03-2022, 11:36 AM
The signing of Nathan Wood was defended on here because he was the England u20 captain so he must be good. Turned out he was miles out of his depth and shipped back early. It means nothing.

It’s a nice personal achievement for him and a reward for playing a lot of games for Hibs. Hopefully he can take confidence from it and improve his performances at Hibs.

It really doesn’t mean a thing when it comes to disproving anyones opinion though.

easty
09-03-2022, 11:39 AM
Good for him, I hope he goes out and plays brilliantly, then brings that form back to Hibs.

hibee-boys
09-03-2022, 11:57 AM
I really hope this gives Josh a boost of confidence and he kicks on from here.

Danny Handling got caps for Scotland Under 21s……just saying!😏

500miles
09-03-2022, 12:06 PM
I really hope this gives Josh a boost of confidence and he kicks on from here.

Danny Handling got caps for Scotland Under 21s……just saying!😏

Danny Handling also got a broken leg and shattered kneecap if I remember correctly. The talent was there though.

Not In The Know
09-03-2022, 12:15 PM
Josh is a really good player for his age. He shouldn't be in the first team as much as he is at the mo, but thats just down to our injuries.

The grief he's getting is shameful TBH.

Brightside
09-03-2022, 01:09 PM
Jesus.

LaMotta
09-03-2022, 01:20 PM
Jesus.

You threw some petrol on the flames alongside your congratulations so you shouldn't be acting surprised at getting a wee reaction :cb

Brightside
09-03-2022, 01:22 PM
You threw some petrol on the flames alongside your congratulations so you shouldn't be acting surprised at getting a wee reaction :cb

Yep silly me.

Shrekko
09-03-2022, 01:34 PM
Josh is a really good player for his age. He shouldn't be in the first team as much as he is at the mo, but thats just down to our injuries.

My thoughts entirely- why do people do this?

He did have a bad spell for a few weeks but it's frankly beyond belief that a young player who's done well in some big games is getting this level of completely unwarranted stick to the point where's he's been written off as a player at this level... at what, 21? Idiotic. I wouldn't have given Lewis Stevenson much chance of lasting long at Hibs for a spell when he was maybe 22/23 but look how he developed.

Josh was one of the best players on the park v Celtic only a couple of weeks back- he was superb against the best team in Scotland for goodness sake.

J-C
09-03-2022, 02:16 PM
Josh seems to be a late developer, it happens. Technically pretty decent but plays better on the front foot higher up the pitch, he wouldn't be playing so deep but for injuries. Cut him some slack and hopefully he gets better, mistakes happen and we hope be learns from them, well done on the call up.

Stubbsy90+2
09-03-2022, 02:29 PM
My thoughts entirely- why do people do this?

He did have a bad spell for a few weeks but it's frankly beyond belief that a young player who's done well in some big games is getting this level of completely unwarranted stick to the point where's he's been written off as a player at this level... at what, 21? Idiotic. I wouldn't have given Lewis Stevenson much chance of lasting long at Hibs for a spell when he was maybe 22/23 but look how he developed.

Josh was one of the best players on the park v Celtic only a couple of weeks back- he was superb against the best team in Scotland for goodness sake.

Kevin Thomson left Hibs for Rangers when he was only about 6 months older than Josh is now. He was slaughtered for it, abused rotten.

Garry O’Connor was only 20 in Bobby Williamsons final season. He got plenty criticism before Tony Mowbray came in.

Jason Cummings left Hibs at pretty much Josh Campbell’s age. He’d spent the previous 3 seasons scoring 69 goals, being part of the cup winning team and getting us promoted back to the top tier. He got plenty criticism.

James Collins signed for Hibs when he was 22 and got it absolutely stinking.

Josh Campbell will be 22 in a couple of months, made his first team debut 3 years ago and has played over 100 professional football games. In football terms he’s not some young laddie just breaking through into the footballing world. He’s not exempt from criticism and a lot of his performances recently have been deserving of it. It’s not some new phenomenon or exclusive to Josh Campbell.

cabbageandribs1875
09-03-2022, 02:37 PM
happy for josh

Since452
09-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Well done Josh. His inclusion in the team due to injuries will do him good in the long term. I sometimes forget he's only 21. Edinburgh City on loan to the pressures of Hibs first team is a gigantic leap and all things considered he's done very well. Deserved call up.

Shrekko
09-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Kevin Thomson left Hibs for Rangers when he was only about 6 months older than Josh is now. He was slaughtered for it, abused rotten.

Garry O’Connor was only 20 in Bobby Williamsons final season. He got plenty criticism before Tony Mowbray came in.

Jason Cummings left Hibs at pretty much Josh Campbell’s age. He’d spent the previous 3 seasons scoring 69 goals, being part of the cup winning team and getting us promoted back to the top tier. He got plenty criticism.

James Collins signed for Hibs when he was 22 and got it absolutely stinking.

Josh Campbell will be 22 in a couple of months, made his first team debut 3 years ago and has played over 100 professional football games. In football terms he’s not some young laddie just breaking through into the footballing world. He’s not exempt from criticism and a lot of his performances recently have been deserving of it. It’s not some new phenomenon or exclusive to Josh Campbell.

I don't think I was saying it was new phenomenon was I?

If you think it's 'deserved' and that it's even more justified because Cummings, O'Connor and Thomson (not really the same thing though) got it then fair dues. I give up.

Stubbsy90+2
09-03-2022, 03:13 PM
I don't think I was saying it was new phenomenon was I?

If you think it's 'deserved' and that it's even more justified because Cummings, O'Connor and Thomson (not really the same thing though) got it then fair dues. I give up.

Yes, I think criticism of his performances is deserved. Unless we’re going to go down the route of just not criticising anyone involved in footballs performances then I’m not sure why someone who is approaching 22 with over 100 professional appearances should be treated all that differently to others in the squad and others who have come before him whilst offering a whole lot more.

Shrekko
09-03-2022, 03:19 PM
Yes, I think criticism of his performances is deserved. Unless we’re going to go down the route of just not criticising anyone involved in footballs performances then I’m not sure why someone who is approaching 22 with over 100 professional appearances should be treated all that differently to others in the squad and others who have come before him whilst offering a whole lot more.

We're not just talking straightforward 'criticism' though and well you know it.

Even people supporting him like I am will say he had a poor few weeks and that's fine- it's the OTT stuff like writing his career off at this level.

Since90+2
09-03-2022, 03:34 PM
What I've seen of him he's not good enough to be a first team regular for a team aiming to finish 3rd.

That's not me being critical, it's just an honest opinion of his ability.

LaMotta
09-03-2022, 03:38 PM

Even people supporting him like I am will say he had a poor few weeks and that's fine- it's the OTT stuff like writing his career off at this level.

If peoole don't think he is good enough on a regular basis to play for Hibs, based on what they've seen so far, then is that really OTT criticism?

It's earIy days yes, but if they end up being right then it certainly wont have been OTT.

Shrekko
09-03-2022, 03:49 PM
If peoole don't think he is good enough on a regular basis to play for Hibs, based on what they've seen so far, then is that really OTT criticism?

It's earIy days yes, but if they end up being right then it certainly wont have been OTT.

You answered your question with the first 3 words of your second sentence.

Look - if you want to write him off at 21 there's nothing I can do. Some managers seem to think he has something and I'd prefer he got a bit of patience and a better environment to help him reach his potential - but I do realise that's too much to ask.

Unseen work
09-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Young/inexperienced played at this level have performances like he has

If he played for Motherwell etc and Hibs fans saw him put in the sort of performances he did against Celtic they’d be moaning why don’t we bring players through like that. He was all over them, showed no respect and was very good on the ball, including a ridiculous volley to switch the play. They wouldnt see his poorer games that aren’t on TV.

He’s a late developer and has played enough good games to give a bit of hope.

Well done for getting in the 21s and hopefully he kicks one

LaMotta
09-03-2022, 04:04 PM
You answered your question with the first 3 words of your second sentence.

Look - if you want to write him off at 21 there's nothing I can do. Some managers seem to think he has something and I'd prefer he got a bit of patience and a better environment to help him reach his potential - but I do realise that's too much to ask.

Well no I didn't answer it. I think its perfectly acceptable to say on the evidence so far he doesn't look like he will cut it at Hibs, whilst recognising that he could develop further and change minds. That's not writing him off completely. He obviously has something as he is a professional footballer. If he isn't good enough though, then no amount of patience from fans will change that.

Shrekko
09-03-2022, 04:14 PM
Well no I didn't answer it. I think its perfectly acceptable to say on the evidence so far he doesn't look like he will cut it at Hibs, whilst recognising that he could develop further and change minds. That's not writing him off completely. He obviously has something as he is a professional footballer. If he isn't good enough though, then no amount of patience from fans will change that.

Well that's your opinion- that he doesn't look good enough to cut it. I would say the evidence so far is that he's more often than not done pretty well in a struggling team and excelled a few days ago against the best team in the country.

So funny for you to even suggest that everyone's willing to accept he could develop further etc etc - there's quite a few who have mapped out his future at a lower level already.

He's had to play out of position a fair bit recently- that's why he deserves a bit of patience and support. Oh... he's also a Hibs player as well.

CapitalGreen
09-03-2022, 04:15 PM
What I've seen of him he's not good enough to be a first team regular for a team aiming to finish 3rd.

That's not me being critical, it's just an honest opinion of his ability.

I don’t think anyone has actually said he’s good enough yet to be a first team regular for team in 3rd. He’s only a first team regular at present because of our extensive injury list.

LaMotta
09-03-2022, 04:36 PM
Well that's your opinion- that he doesn't look good enough to cut it. I would say the evidence so far is that he's more often than not done pretty well in a struggling team and excelled a few days ago against the best team in the country.

So funny for you to even suggest that everyone's willing to accept he could develop further etc etc - there's quite a few who have mapped out his future at a lower level already.

He's had to play out of position a fair bit recently- that's why he deserves a bit of patience and support. Oh... he's also a Hibs player as well.

Well it is my opinion and clearly the opinion of others. And you disagree, which is fine.

I don't think anyone's criticism of him has been OTT to be honest. If he goes on to be an excellent player for Hibs I'll hold my hands up though. He has my full support on the pitch when he plays:aok:

A Hi-Bee
09-03-2022, 04:54 PM
Well done to the lad, probably better than anyone on this forum has managed as far as representing Scotland?
Also good recognition for Hibs.
:thumbsup:

B.H.F.C
09-03-2022, 05:18 PM

I don’t think he’s getting that much grief to be honest. Folk just talk about his performances and, for quite a lot of folk, they just don’t think they’re very good.

Good for him to get a call up though, can’t do him any harm.

Billy Whizz
09-03-2022, 05:24 PM
Well done Josh and Josh, great news for both

Since90+2
09-03-2022, 05:32 PM
I don’t think anyone has actually said he’s good enough yet to be a first team regular for team in 3rd. He’s only a first team regular at present because of our extensive injury list.

I never claimed anyone had said that, im just simply giving my opinion he won't be good enough for next season to be starting (as our aim should be 3rd).

Stubbsy90+2
09-03-2022, 06:23 PM

I don’t know that because I’d say the criticism of him has been as straightforward as it comes. There’s been no character assassination or anything out of order, people have criticised him based on his performances and given reasons for why they don’t think he’s good enough. Nobody has casted aspersions as to his attitude, infact most have praised it to some degree. It’s simply down to how people perceive his ability and performances.

To me that’s about as straight forward as criticism of a footballer comes. Just look at the criticism the likes of Nisbet, Porteous etc get regarding their attitude etc. Footballers even get criticised now for the clothes they wear, the cars they drive and their instagram posts. The only thing Campbell is being criticised for is what he’s doing on the football pitch.

hibsbollah
09-03-2022, 06:29 PM
Weird. I thought he was pretty good the last time I saw him play. Then again, I also rate Macey and the fannies behind me can’t stop giving him abuse, so maybe Ive got my eyes painted on :agree:

JohnM1875
09-03-2022, 06:36 PM
Class for Campbell. Pleased for the guy and hope it means he kicks on.

Doig has been phenomenal recently.

Since452
09-03-2022, 07:02 PM
Weird. I thought he was pretty good the last time I saw him play. Then again, I also rate Macey and the fannies behind me can’t stop giving him abuse, so maybe Ive got my eyes painted on :agree:

It's fashionable to slate Macey, Campbell and Wright. The same way it was fashionable to slate the best manager we've had in decades. Or a cup winning legend Steven Whittaker before that. Next season it'll be someone else getting it tight. We are a brutal fanbase.

Stubbsy90+2
09-03-2022, 07:19 PM
It's fashionable to slate Macey, Campbell and Wright. The same way it was fashionable to slate the best manager we've had in decades. Or a cup winning legend Steven Whittaker before that. Next season it'll be someone else getting it tight. We are a brutal fanbase.

What makes us so brutal? We’re not any worse than any other fanbase really imo.

jakedance
09-03-2022, 07:25 PM

Spot on. Macey is better than many of the, admittedly terrible, keepers we’ve had over the years. We’ve too many fans with completely unrealistic expectations. I’ve no idea why some people go to game when it makes them miserable.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2022, 07:31 PM

I’ve seen other fans chase their team down the street after losing their first domestic cup game in about four years (Parkhead last year when fans weren’t even allowed to be there). And planes being flown over stadiums wanting a manager sacked when they were sitting third in the league (Tynecastle not so long ago).

Expressing a negative opinion or a wee bit booing is a lot more brutal though.

hibsbollah
09-03-2022, 08:50 PM

The question ‘are we worse than other fans?’ is boring because it’s difficult to prove either way.

I was listening to Ian Wright’s desert island discs tonight. Was talking about his relationship with Arsenal fans from when he signed. He was the big money signing from Palace, the opposition fans were booing, mocking chants whenever he got the ball. He said of the Arsenal fans ‘it didn’t matter because I knew they had my back, and I can’t tell you what that meant. When they sang my name it took me to another place’.

Shrekko
09-03-2022, 09:03 PM
I’ve seen other fans chase their team down the street after losing their first domestic cup game in about four years (Parkhead last year when fans weren’t even allowed to be there). And planes being flown over stadiums wanting a manager sacked when they were sitting third in the league (Tynecastle not so long ago).

Expressing a negative opinion or a wee bit booing is a lot more brutal though.

That's a cracking argument- you pick a couple of isolated incidents involving a tiny amount of fans of other clubs and then balance it up by basically saying the worst thing we do is "express" a negative opinion or boo a wee bit.

There's times i've loved being part of the Hibs support but the last 2/3 years have been utterly brutal. You may disagree and that's cool but it's too often to be co-incidence the amount of times the opposition mention the fact we can really help them when we turn on our own team.

we are hibs
09-03-2022, 09:08 PM
The only thing thats fashionable on here is the constant drivel some (usually the same) posters are desperate to put across on nearly every single thread that hibs fans are bad and the worst support in the world. They seem to relish in telling everyone the same thing every single week. You wonder why they bother if the support is as bad as they like to make out.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2022, 09:22 PM
That's a cracking argument- you pick a couple of isolated incidents involving a tiny amount of fans of other clubs and then balance it up by basically saying the worst thing we do is "express" a negative opinion or boo a wee bit.

There's times i've loved being part of the Hibs support but the last 2/3 years have been utterly brutal. You may disagree and that's cool but it's too often to be co-incidence the amount of times the opposition mention the fact we can really help them when we turn on our own team.

It was two extreme examples of things that are worse than anything I’ve seen at ER any time recently. There are examples all over the country every week, of things equivalent to what we see from our crowd, a bit of booing or whatever.

I don’t believe that our support are worse than anyone else and I find the determination, from some within our support, to prove that we are a bit odd.

Trying to get the home crowd to turn on their team is one of the oldest things in the book. Another thing that happens all over the place when a so called bigger team is struggling at home.

B.H.F.C
09-03-2022, 09:23 PM
The only thing thats fashionable on here is the constant drivel some (usually the same) posters are desperate to put across on nearly every single thread that hibs fans are bad and the worst support in the world. They seem to relish in telling everyone the same thing every single week. You wonder why they bother if the support is as bad as they like to make out.

Totally agree.

JimBHibees
09-03-2022, 09:36 PM

Couldn't agree more

Since452
10-03-2022, 05:23 AM

Easter Road is toxic most weeks. A squad decimated by injuries and booing substitutes coming on. Booing at half time. Booing at full time. The constant abuse from fans directed at our own players. If you think that's drivel then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. You should check out the comments on any Hibs social media posts on a match day. We are brutal.

MWHIBBIES
10-03-2022, 05:40 AM
I really haven't seen much toxic on this thread, and I'm usually quick to have a go at others being overly negative. Many just don't think Campbell is good enough. Perfectly reasonable. He isn't some 18 year old either, the young player line isn't true imo. He's at the same age as some of the best players we've had in the last 20 years.

Forza Fred
10-03-2022, 06:38 AM
I really haven't seen much toxic on this thread, and I'm usually quick to have a go at others being overly negative. Many just don't think Campbell is good enough. Perfectly reasonable. He isn't some 18 year old either, the young player line isn't true imo. He's at the same age as some of the best players we've had in the last 20 years.

I think people have different views on what is a ‘young’ player.

I consider Campbell to be a young player, you don’t and that is fair enough.

The question I have asked frequently on another forum and got various replies to is…..

At what age does a player cease to be a ‘young’ player?

Stubbsy90+2
10-03-2022, 06:48 AM
It was two extreme examples of things that are worse than anything I’ve seen at ER any time recently. There are examples all over the country every week, of things equivalent to what we see from our crowd, a bit of booing or whatever.

I don’t believe that our support are worse than anyone else and I find the determination, from some within our support, to prove that we are a bit odd.

Trying to get the home crowd to turn on their team is one of the oldest things in the book. Another thing that happens all over the place when a so called bigger team is struggling at home.

St Johnstone fans were nearly fighting with their own players when they got knocked out the cup this season. Aberdeen fans have given Brown a barrel load of abuse since he announced his retirement. Aberdeen fans gave McInnes lots of abuse despite finishing between 2nd and 4th about 6 seasons in a row. Dundee United fans wanted McCourt binned a couple months ago and there was loads of booing at their games. St Mirren fans seem to be the booing kings of the league and half the time it’s not even obvious why. Man Utd fans give their team and players non stop abuse. Arsenal fan tv is an absolute mess. Tottenham fans have been hounding their players this season. Real Madrid fans are terrible.

I could go on and on and on. Hibs fans aren’t any worse than other sets of fans. As a few have said, the determination to make out Hibs fans are awful fans is really quite odd.

And the comment about you picking out two isolated incidents - I’ve seen Hibs fans boo players coming onto the pitch on one occasion. If that wasn’t an isolated incident then I don’t know what is yet that seems to be an acceptable stick to beat Hibs fans with.

Key West
10-03-2022, 07:01 AM
Well done Josh Campbell and deservedly so.

BoomtownHibees
10-03-2022, 07:34 AM
Easter Road is toxic most weeks.

That’s just nonsense. I take it you don’t attend most weeks?

we are hibs
10-03-2022, 07:39 AM
Easter Road is toxic most weeks. A squad decimated by injuries and booing substitutes coming on. Booing at half time. Booing at full time. The constant abuse from fans directed at our own players. If you think that's drivel then you're living in cloud cuckoo land. You should check out the comments on any Hibs social media posts on a match day. We are brutal.

Easter Road isnt toxic most weeks. This is what i mean. Its just exaggerated nonsense. You're making out as if every sub that comes on gets booed. One set of subs got booed in 1 game. It wasnt great but its hardly something thats a regular occurrence or ever has been a regular occurrence at Easter Road. Ive heard Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts, Dundee united, Dundee and St.Mirren fans all boo their team off at half time this season. Does that mean their entire support is toxic? Also im not sure how things posted on twitter = easter road being toxic on a match day.

LaMotta
10-03-2022, 08:28 AM
The question ‘are we worse than other fans?’ is boring because it’s difficult to prove either way.

I was listening to Ian Wright’s desert island discs tonight. Was talking about his relationship with Arsenal fans from when he signed. He was the big money signing from Palace, the opposition fans were booing, mocking chants whenever he got the ball. He said of the Arsenal fans ‘it didn’t matter because I knew they had my back, and I can’t tell you what that meant. When they sang my name it took me to another place’.

It's much easier to sing a player's name and have a player's back every week when they are a top quality player. Just ask Steve Archibald what he thinks of the Hibs fans after the backing he got from us.

Arsenal fans have probably been amongst the worst culprits at booing players and the team generally in recent years - just ask Granit Xhaka. Its largely down to results and performances rather than any one set of fans being worse than another.

B.H.F.C
10-03-2022, 08:52 AM
I think people have different views on what is a ‘young’ player.

I consider Campbell to be a young player, you don’t and that is fair enough.

The question I have asked frequently on another forum and got various replies to is…..

At what age does a player cease to be a ‘young’ player?

I don’t really buy the young player stuff, it only seems to apply if you’re talking negatively about them. If someone comes on and says ‘such and such is going to be a top player’ they don’t get told that they’re talking nonsense and it’s too early to tell. Where Campbell is concerned, I think a lot of folk simply don’t see enough in him to suggest he’ll go on to be a good player for us. Those judgements get made about any player who’s played 20, 30 games or whatever, irrespective of age. Think we all agree we need to see a vast improvement in midfield so I just don’t see how he’ll even get proper game time in future. By the time we sign players and get the injured ones back he’ll be about 5th or 6th choice.

hibsbollah
10-03-2022, 09:11 AM
It's much easier to sing a player's name and have a player's back every week when they are a top quality player. Just ask Steve Archibald what he thinks of the Hibs fans after the backing he got from us.

Arsenal fans have probably been amongst the worst culprits at booing players and the team generally in recent years - just ask Granit Xhaka. Its largely down to results and performances rather than any one set of fans being worse than another.

That’s not my point. My point is Wrights experience was that he was physically lifted by his fans having his back. We are not passive consumers, we affect what’s happening on the pitch by what we do and the energy we create. I think it’s mad that some Hibs fans on this site and at ER don’t think that’s true.

Stubbsy90+2
10-03-2022, 09:41 AM
That’s not my point. My point is Wrights experience was that he was physically lifted by his fans having his back. We are not passive consumers, we affect what’s happening on the pitch by what we do and the energy we create. I think it’s mad that some Hibs fans on this site and at ER don’t think that’s true.

And the fans would have been lifted by Ian Wrights goals and performances. He was an absolutely enormous success from the word go at Arsenal. It’s a two way street. If you perform well, the fans will back you. In football that’s pretty much always been the case.

Likewise if the fans don’t think you’re performing well then they’ll start to criticise you. It’s not in any way realistic to expect fans to just blindly back players to the hilt. People want their team to do well and if they don’t perform well or individual players don’t perform well then fans will voice their opinion.

easty
10-03-2022, 09:50 AM

What a load of ***** :faf::faf:

Mr. Wonderful
10-03-2022, 11:15 AM
What a load of ***** :faf::faf:

It's not though is it

easty
10-03-2022, 11:20 AM
It's not though is it

Aye, it is.

B.H.F.C
10-03-2022, 11:31 AM
Aye, it is.

Correct.

Amazinsauzee
10-03-2022, 11:48 AM
It's not though is it

Yeah it definitely is

Stubbsy90+2
10-03-2022, 11:53 AM
It's not though is it

It really is.

LaMotta
10-03-2022, 12:25 PM

Ian Wright had to earn the adulation and backing of the fans first though by showing signs of being ***in brilliant. In turn yes that backing then probably further helped him to even greater brilliance.

Fans can and do affect what happens on the pitch but also players can and do affect what happens in the stands.

Drey Wright got a deserved standing ovation last week v Celtic then followed it up with another indifferent performance. If you arent good enough then backing from the fans will have limited impact on changing that.

Phil MaGlass
12-03-2022, 03:42 PM
Well done Josh, one of the reasons I think he was picked is because of the game time he is getting, the more he gets the more he will learn. Great news.

tonyrougier123
12-03-2022, 07:51 PM
Well done Josh, one of the reasons I think he was picked is because of the game time he is getting, the more he gets the more he will learn. Great news.

The experts on here with the “he’s pish” in depth analysis must be scratching their heads in disbelief.

hibsbollah
12-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Well done Josh, the more he gets the more he will learn.

Just simple really :agree:

Lago
12-03-2022, 08:35 PM
Pleased for Josh, doesn't deserve the stick gets from the experts on here.

FilipinoHibs
13-03-2022, 05:35 AM

If a player dares makes one miss placed pass at ER then they are finished unless they are Scott Allan.

theonlywayisup
13-03-2022, 06:33 AM

Yes, agree with this. I always try and turn this around to how you perform in your daily job. Even the best will make mistakes and there will always be reason why we under-perform at our work. Then factor in the constant not-picking by the experts.

That said, footballers are in an industry that they know what they will be exposed to. Watching Liverpool yesterday and a couple of times Klopp was screaming "pass the ball" at Salah and Diaz. You can tell by his reaction that he was not best pleased. However, both players would have found it difficult to find a pass as they were being closed down. Had they not taken the shot and misplaced the pass, he probably would have been shouting "shoot".

B.H.F.C
13-03-2022, 07:09 AM
If a player dares makes one miss placed pass at ER then they are finished unless they are Scott Allan.

Not really true, is it?

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2022, 08:42 AM

He doesn't get stick. Saying a player isn't good enough isn't giving him unjustified abuse or stick. He gets my full support on the pitch.

Have you considered trying to show why he is good enough, rather than dismissing those who don't rate him?

Let me guess, he has energy and works hard...

ahibby
13-03-2022, 10:19 AM
He doesn't get stick. Saying a player isn't good enough isn't giving him unjustified abuse or stick. He gets my full support on the pitch.

Have you considered trying to show why he is good enough, rather than dismissing those who don't rate him?

Josh would not be first pick had it not been for injuries with Kyle and Joe. In that, he has been lucky because he has had the exposure and experience he would not have otherwise had. We have also been lucky because he has been able to help make our defence at least stuffy. We wwould have
been worse of if he didnt give us atleast that. Yes he is young and inexperienced but okay taking that into consideration.

tonyrougier123
13-03-2022, 01:49 PM

I’ve backed him up with stats still got pelters,you canny beat the doubters on this forum.

tonyrougier123
13-03-2022, 01:50 PM
Btw had another solid game today.won some key balls in the middle.

Unseen work
13-03-2022, 01:51 PM

Agreed, thought him and Newell were very good in there today

Northernhibee
13-03-2022, 01:55 PM
Thought he was decent.

Stanton Spence
13-03-2022, 01:57 PM
Agreed, thought him and Newell were very good in there todayNewell played well especially second half but without having a dig at Campbell I didn't see him do much at all again today and just don't see what some folk do

Callum_62
13-03-2022, 01:58 PM
I don't think josh will be starting if we had a full squad but he's doing ok

Nothing fancy, works his baws off and helps give the defence some protection

Inexperienced player but giving his all and shows some promise

easty
13-03-2022, 03:29 PM
I cannae understand how anyone could watch that game and say he played well today.

He's a centre midfielder who doesn't want the ball.

A Hi-Bee
13-03-2022, 03:32 PM
I have to admit I did not see him do much today, along with a few misplaced passes he looked like he did not want the ball, which is different to other games I have seen him in, even when not playing great he always showed for the ball. Perhaps now that Newell is back he can have a rest on the bench, probably do him the world of good.
:flag::flag::flag:

JohnM1875
13-03-2022, 03:39 PM
I have to admit I did not see him do much today, along with a few misplaced passes he looked like he did not want the ball, which is different to other games I have seen him in, even when not playing great he always showed for the ball. Perhaps now that Newell is back he can have a rest on the bench, probably do him the world of good.

It's the misplaced passes that frustrate me. It's not as if he's trying defence splitting passes either.

Boy clearly has an engine and no doubt he's played far more than he would have without the injuries.

Hopefully after a wee rest when folk are fit will do him good.

inglisavhibs
13-03-2022, 03:46 PM
Newell played well especially second half but without having a dig at Campbell I didn't see him do much at all again today and just don't see what some folk do

Without him we would have been stuffed today. We were running on empty in the 2nd half due to players not being really match fit. Josh was still going strong at the end along with Cadden, Porteous, and Stevenson. These guys are getting us through this horrendous injury spell. Not sure if you were at the game but if you were and thought Campbell didn’t do much then you will never like him.

Coco Bryce
13-03-2022, 03:50 PM
Lets face it. He's only in the team because of the injuries. He'll be nowhere near the 1st when the main players are back.

Runs about loads but just not good enough.

Dashing Bob S
13-03-2022, 03:56 PM
Without him we would have been stuffed today. We were running on empty in the 2nd half due to players not being really match fit. Josh was still going strong at the end along with Cadden, Porteous, and Stevenson. These guys are getting us through this horrendous injury spell. Not sure if you were at the game but if you were and thought Campbell didn’t do much then you will never like him.

I agree with every word of this. Our second half fatigue negated our one man advantage completely. Thankfully we had some players, as you say, who had an engine on them.

McD
13-03-2022, 04:00 PM

not the games I’ve seen, frequently hides behind opposition players imo

easty
13-03-2022, 04:02 PM
not the games I’ve seen, frequently hides behind opposition players imo

It was constant today, he did not want to be on the ball.

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2022, 04:05 PM
I’ve backed him up with stats still got pelters,you canny beat the doubters on this forum.

You backed him up with goals and assists, thats not really too relevant IMO.

Saw today that Newell is a level above, despite Campbell doing well.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2022, 04:06 PM
It was constant today, he did not want to be on the ball.

Agree. He gave the ball away in a dangerous area in the second half (something he does most weeks) and didn’t want the ball thereafter. Plenty pointing at the centre halves telling them where else to pass it to.

Stokesy's on fire
13-03-2022, 04:07 PM
Thought he was decent.

Thought today he was by far the weakest link.

wookie70
13-03-2022, 04:08 PM
Not a great day for Josh who has had a few good games lately. Didn't really get involved when we had the ball but worked hard and made a few important tackles when we didn't

Funkydunc
13-03-2022, 04:11 PM

Really? I thought he was our worst player by a long way. Nearly gave them a good chance with his customary mistake.

hibeg
13-03-2022, 04:11 PM
Newell played well especially second half but without having a dig at Campbell I didn't see him do much at all again today and just don't see what some folk do

This unfortunately. I didn’t see anything really positive from him today

inglisavhibs
13-03-2022, 04:20 PM
Really? I thought he was our worst player by a long way. Nearly gave them a good chance with his customary mistake.
Were you at the game? Josh worked his socks off and when all around were failing he was still tackling and running strong. Taking passes from central defenders is a risky business and there will always be a risk. Josh was nowhere near our worst player today and thankfully our manager has a much higher opinion of Josh than a lot on here.

easty
13-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Were you at the game? Josh worked his socks off and when all around were failing he was still tackling and running strong. Taking passes from central defenders is a risky business and there will always be a risk. Josh was nowhere near our worst player today and thankfully our manager has a much higher opinion of Josh than a lot on here.

I was at the game. He was our worst player. Scott Allan was nae better when he came on though.

Stubbsy90+2
13-03-2022, 04:33 PM
Poor again.

Thank god Newell is back as he showed he’s levels above. Hopefully that’ll be the end of Campbell starting games.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2022, 04:34 PM

I thought he was the weak link today. He can run and tackle all day but we didn’t use the extra man in the second half and I thought his reluctance to get on the ball was a big part in that.

inglisavhibs
13-03-2022, 04:35 PM
I was at the game. He was our worst player. Scott Allan was nae better when he came on though.
We will agree to disagree then. Not even close to being our worst player. Scott is not fit enough to do himself justice.

PeeJay
13-03-2022, 04:43 PM
Campbell really works hard, but he made another of his poor passes and lost a ball that could have cost us a goal today: it happens too often frankly! He needs to do better ...

Coco Bryce
13-03-2022, 04:43 PM

We all agree he runs about loads. But apart from that he's very poor at everything else.

Helensburghhibs
13-03-2022, 04:53 PM
Josh works hard without the ball and when he's the only dm he probably does a job. When we have the ball he brings nothing to the party, he hides and doesn't want it. Can we afford that if sm wants us to play out from the back I'm not so sure

Hiber-nation
13-03-2022, 05:01 PM
I thought he was the weak link today. He can run and tackle all day but we didn’t use the extra man in the second half and I thought his reluctance to get on the ball was a big part in that.

Agree. Went into hiding after giving the ball away and Porto was going daft at him. He's just too slow to move the bal and his confidence is getting really low. You'd assume he'll be benched when JDH is back.