PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

hibbysam
05-03-2022, 05:52 PM
Undoubtedly the funniest part of the day when he went to try and take a quick throw in without realising the ball was still in play 😂 thankfully came to nothing but hilarious all the same.

Libby Hibby
05-03-2022, 06:01 PM
Happened right front of me, funny as 😂😂

Helensburghhibs
05-03-2022, 07:24 PM
Hes been a level above the last few games,, so glad he got away with it haha

JohnM1875
05-03-2022, 07:26 PM
Was funny. But he's honestly so so good. Be gutted if he leaves in the summer like I'm expecting.

gaz1875
05-03-2022, 07:26 PM
That's him to a tee, playing well then a lack of concentration could have costs us a goal.

Helensburghhibs
05-03-2022, 07:29 PM
That's him to a tee, playing well then a lack of concentration could have costs us a goal.

If he was playing the way he is without the odd daft mistake he wouldn't be at hibs

gaz1875
05-03-2022, 07:31 PM
If he was playing the way he is without the odd daft mistake he wouldn't be at hibs

That may be the case, I would rather he wasn't making mistakes whilst here though. He has been playing well lately.

cannastar
05-03-2022, 07:59 PM
had a look at the bbc ratings has ryan bottom for us and poorest marks out of both teams wonder if the journalist was actually at the game or just another one with no fondness for hibs and ryan.

JohnM1875
05-03-2022, 08:01 PM
had a look at the bbc ratings has ryan bottom for us and poorest marks out of both teams wonder if the journalist was actually at the game or just another one with no fondness for hibs and ryan.

No ****ing way, seriously?!

Lago
05-03-2022, 08:03 PM
Was funny. But he's honestly so so good. Be gutted if he leaves in the summer like I'm expecting.
He's not extended his contract so of course he'll leave.

JohnM1875
05-03-2022, 08:05 PM
He's not extended his contract so of course he'll leave.

He has another year does he not? Summer 23?

Billy Whizz
05-03-2022, 08:06 PM

He does, but if he runs it down we’ll get next to nothing

Stuart93
05-03-2022, 08:08 PM

Surely no? How can a defender get the lowest rating in a team when it’s finished 0-0

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Had a laugh myself, but fortunately Doig was alert enough to know the ball was still in play.

Pretty Boy
05-03-2022, 08:10 PM
He was outstanding today.

I liked that he was demanding more from others as well. Dabrowski got a mouthful from him at least 3 times. Twice for not giving him the ball and once for giving him a total hospital ball. Doig got it once as well. He's evidently frustrated with out current performance levels because he's a winner.

It's bittersweet to say that he is approaching the point at which he is too good for us really. He needs to move up a level to keep improving. Ideally he'll sign another contract and give us another season but realistically I think he will go this summer.

Pretty Boy
05-03-2022, 08:11 PM

Is it not fans that vote for those ratings during the game?

I'm sure it is which probably means it's obsessive Rangers fans trolling.

Stevie Reid
05-03-2022, 08:25 PM
Is it not fans that vote for those ratings during the game?

I'm sure it is which probably means it's obsessive Rangers fans trolling.

It is, which is why they all have two decimal points after the first number. It’s just an average of the figure that voters have given them.

Pretty bizarre really, can’t imagine many folk are sat at the game (even with our lack of goals) and think of going on the BBC site to rate the players.

cabbageandribs1875
05-03-2022, 08:33 PM
sofascore

https://i.ibb.co/L8dgYgh/sofascore.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

hibby rae
05-03-2022, 08:35 PM

Yep voted online. Could be anyone.

Saw Mueller got top marks one week, maybe the County game, and he'd only played 15 mins at the end.

hibbysam
05-03-2022, 08:38 PM

I liked that he was demanding more from others as well. Dabrowski got a mouthful from him at least 3 times. Twice for not giving him the ball and once for giving him a total hospital ball. Doig got it once as well. He's evidently frustrated with out current performance levels because he's a winner.

It's bittersweet to say that he is approaching the point at which he is too good for us really. He needs to move up a level to keep improving. Ideally he'll sign another contract and give us another season but realistically I think he will go this summer.

I agree and like his presence, the dabrowski one, while it was overhit, Porto just shelled it straight out the park under little pressure. Think he was more covering his own back there. His confidence on the ball is admirable.

MWHIBBIES
05-03-2022, 08:40 PM

Strolled it and didn't even come close to costing us a shot on target.

matty_f
05-03-2022, 08:43 PM
He was good, the running away from the ball moment aside.

wookie70
05-03-2022, 09:09 PM
Had a laugh myself, but fortunately Doig was alert enough to know the ball was still in play.
That capped a fine display from Doig who was the only Hibs player alert to the danger

et_hibby
05-03-2022, 09:11 PM

It's bittersweet to say that he is approaching the point at which he is too good for us really. He needs to move up a level to keep improving. Ideally he'll sign another contract and give us another season but realistically I think he will go this summer. All good points there 👍

RyeSloan
05-03-2022, 09:24 PM
He was good, the running away from the ball moment aside.

He was more than good, he was his usual highly effective outstanding self. He is turning In pipe n slippers performances week in week out now.

Absolutely loved his running away from the ball moment, proper laugh out loud stuff. But even then he sprinted back lack a mad man and was there in a flash to get the ball off the keeper and move forward again.

Was a genuine genius moment though that’s for sure [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Lago
05-03-2022, 09:28 PM
He does, but if he runs it down we’ll get next to nothing
That's my point 👍

RyeSloan
05-03-2022, 09:29 PM

They are quickly disappearing. He’s matured big time in performance levels this season and as PB said in his post, he’s now at a level where he’s clearly capable of playing for a club above Hibs’ pay grades and sadly he’ll be gone in the summer.

cannastar
05-03-2022, 09:35 PM
iv mentioned before that im surprised brendan rodgers hasnt tried to take him to leicester only thing i can think of is that brendan thinks he wont be at leicester much longer and will wait until he knows where he will be himself before making an attempt to sign ryan.

Willis1875
05-03-2022, 09:39 PM
iv mentioned before that im surprised brendan rodgers hasnt tried to take him to leicester only thing i can think of is that brendan thinks he wont be at leicester much longer and will wait until he knows where he will be himself before making an attempt to sign ryan.

He’s good but he’s nowhere near Leicester city level,jeezo

MountcastleHibs
05-03-2022, 09:48 PM
And yet one of the guys on the Terrace Scottish Football Podcast thinks that he’s a “solid bottom 6 centre half” 🙄

AFKA5814_Hibs
05-03-2022, 09:53 PM
That capped a fine display from Doig who was the only Hibs player alert to the danger

Agreed about Doig, although what I should have said was apart from that one indiscretion Porteous had a very good game. He sprays the ball about into our midfield players very well when other centre half's might just punt the ball aimlessly forward. It's such a pity that other aspects of his game on and off field take the headlines because he has the attributes to go far in the game.

cannastar
05-03-2022, 10:08 PM
Dont think he is as far away from leicester level as people would imagine similar to when van dyke was at celtic and some celtic supporters thought virgil thought he was better than what he was and looked what happened there. Also we were constantly being told that sjm wasnt good enough for english championshp/premiership and we can see what is happening there. Ryan under the correct guidance would hold every chance of playing at that level as he is still just a young laddie who unfortunately for us wont develop in spl much further up against same strikers four times a season. To reach his full potential he needs to move to a well run club which leicester do seem to be and train alongside their players likes of evans vardy albrighton all three who have had long careers and learn what they do well and use it to his advantage.

Phil MaGlass
06-03-2022, 05:43 AM

ebc Scotland, full of huns and yoons, get used to it.

Highwayman
06-03-2022, 04:07 PM
To those posters who still don’t really rate Porteous,and take every opportunity to snipe at him for completely irrelevant things,please note,enjoy him while you can because I seriously doubt he will still be at Hibs after the summer transfer window.

It is in the laddies best interest from a personal and footballing point of view that he gets out off Scotland as soon as possible.

IMO when he is at the top of his game he is the best centre back in Scotland.I rate him superior to John Souttar and the currant buns centre backs.I wouldn’t insult him by comparing him to the Celtic centre backs.

Woudn’t it be ironic when he comes up for auction that Aston Villa’s bid is successful.Always thought that Gerrard (if he’s still at Villa Park then) despite the derogatory remarks he made about him,secretly admired Porteous’s attitude and determination to win.

Iggy Pope
06-03-2022, 06:06 PM
A proper footballer I’m glad he’s with us. He will be hugely difficult to replace.

theonlywayisup
06-03-2022, 06:19 PM
Yep voted online. Could be anyone.

Saw Mueller got top marks one week, maybe the County game, and he'd only played 15 mins at the end.

Yes, I wouldn't go by those ratings. Whenever, FC Bruge play in the Champions League in most games Jack Hendry is man of the match, even when his team gets gubbed. Think it's Celtic fans having a laugh.

truehibernian
06-03-2022, 06:20 PM
Not a dig at Paul Hanlon, but Ryan demands more from defenders during a game and is far more vocal. With Paul out, Ryan has stepped up a level and played with more maturity and more leadership.

I'd give him the captaincy personally. I think he would revel in the responsibility and focus him fully.

hibby rae
06-03-2022, 06:24 PM
And yet one of the guys on the Terrace Scottish Football Podcast thinks that he’s a “solid bottom 6 centre half” 🙄

He very much splits opinions among them, but tbf the ones that see him the most, the Hibbys and Craig Fowler etc. rate him highly.

LaMotta
06-03-2022, 06:25 PM
He has been brilliant overall lately. If he is going to make the step up to a higher level he won't be able to switch off the way he has done against Kyogo and Morelos this season. But those are just concentration lapses that he should be able to iron out.

Crunchie
06-03-2022, 07:55 PM
Not a dig at Paul Hanlon, but Ryan demands more from defenders during a game and is far more vocal. With Paul out, Ryan has stepped up a level and played with more maturity and more leadership.

I'd give him the captaincy personally. I think he would revel in the responsibility and focus him fully.
:top marks

Phil MaGlass
07-03-2022, 04:35 PM
To those posters who still don’t really rate Porteous,and take every opportunity to snipe at him for completely irrelevant things,please note,enjoy him while you can because I seriously doubt he will still be at Hibs after the summer transfer window.

It is in the laddies best interest from a personal and footballing point of view that he gets out off Scotland as soon as possible.

IMO when he is at the top of his game he is the best centre back in Scotland.I rate him superior to John Souttar and the currant buns centre backs.I wouldn’t insult him by comparing him to the Celtic centre backs.

Woudn’t it be ironic when he comes up for auction that Aston Villa’s bid is successful.Always thought that Gerrard (if he’s still at Villa Park then) despite the derogatory remarks he made about him,secretly admired Porteous’s attitude and determination to win.

Its probably the same folk saying Ryan isnae good enough for Leicester and the likes, were the same ones saying SJM wisnae worth more than 2 million.
Insert rolling eyes emoji

Silky
07-03-2022, 04:47 PM

:agree: I also don't think Hanlon is vocal enough as a captain. I don't think he stands up for his teammates with officials etc. He's never complaining about dodgy calls or putting his point over as other captains do. I've seen Lewis nipping at refs, having a moan and generally complaining in games where he has led the team. I like that in a captain and I think we need it more

stevenson
07-03-2022, 04:54 PM
On the whole, our defence has been our biggest asset since December despite the make up of the back three constantly changing. Rocky - Porto - Stevenson v Dundee then Cadden - Porteous - Doig v Saints. Earlier, before they were injured, we had McGinn and Hanlon in there and in the Cove game Halberg was in the back three and Campbell stepped back when he went off. The only constant factor has been Porto since he finished his suspension which shows he doing something right!

Mcbizz1998
07-03-2022, 05:12 PM
I was completely confused as to what was going on until the boy beside me realised and started screaming “the baws no ******ing ooot yet!!!”

Most entertaining part of the day [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
07-03-2022, 06:03 PM
Porteous will definitely play in the EPL in my opinion. If he joins a top championship side he will do really well and make the step up if they’re promoted. A team like Norwich when they’re inevitably relegated would be a realistic move for him playing alongside Hanley.

brog
07-03-2022, 06:17 PM

I know that SJM spoke highly of Ryan when he, SJM, moved to Villa. I thought Gerrard's appointment may have scuppered any possible deal but you could be right.

gaz1875
07-03-2022, 06:35 PM
I was completely confused as to what was going on until the boy beside me realised and started screaming “the baws no ******ing ooot yet!!!”

Most entertaining part of the day [emoji23]

If you were in the FFU it was probably me :faf:

WeeRussell
07-03-2022, 06:49 PM
I think Porteous is quality.

I do also think, however, that many hibs fans are too quick to blame the country he plays in for some of his ‘misdemeanours’ during his career.

Classy player and solid defender, who is very likely to move-on and play at a more than decent level. But this idea that he’s some sort of victim because he’s done a few daft things during his career, mainly on the pitch, doesn’t wash with me.

The daily record etc being bawbags is nothing new. He isn’t being hounded out of Scottish football because of the odd comment from the likes of Steven Gerrard comment either. I also don’t think Ryan lets any of this nonsense bother him in terms of his performances either.

If he leaves Scottish football it’ll be because he’s got a nice offer from a club elsewhere.. not because he ‘needs to get out’ or has been chased away.

eastterrace
07-03-2022, 06:54 PM
I think Porteous is quality.

I do also think, however, that many hibs fans are too quick to blame the country he plays in for some of his ‘misdemeanours’ during his career.

Classy player and solid defender, who is very likely to move-on and play at a more than decent level. But this idea that he’s some sort of victim because he’s done a few daft things during his career, mainly on the pitch, doesn’t wash with me.

The daily record etc being bawbags is nothing new. He isn’t being hounded out of Scottish football because of the odd comment from the likes of Steven Gerrard comment either. I also don’t think Ryan lets any of this nonsense bother him in terms of his performances either.

If he leaves Scottish football it’ll be because he’s got a nice offer from a club elsewhere.. not because he ‘needs to get out’ or has been chased away. sorry got to disagree with you on the nice offer making him go. He is being hounded out by refs and some media outlets jeez even dundee fans were booing him . If That tackle had been Porto he would have got sent off imo. He would be better out of hibs and Scotland to build his career up.

WeeRussell
07-03-2022, 07:11 PM
sorry got to disagree with you on the nice offer making him go. He is being hounded out by refs and some media outlets jeez even dundee fans were booing him . If That tackle had been Porto he would have got sent off imo. He would be better out of hibs and Scotland to build his career up.

No apology necessary, I fully expect plenty to disagree.

I don’t see it any differently to any other footballer that gets booed.. whether it’s Dundee fans or not. Scott Brown for example didn’t have to leave Scottish football to get away from it. Porteous is the sort of player you love to have in your team but probably wouldn’t like if he was against you.. that’s football.

And with my green-tinted specs off, I can barely recall Ryan getting a red card he didn’t deserve either.

Again, I do like the big guy and think he’s a quality footballer. I just don’t see the ‘agenda’ against him to the same degree that others do. I think it’s perhaps similar to people being in uproar about Boyle being accused of diving when he was occasionally prone to… diving.

I do agree certain sections of the media aren’t fans of us, I just don’t think it’s a reason for Porteous to flee the country. A big offer from elsewhere on the other hand..

hibbyfraelibby
07-03-2022, 07:16 PM

Which means we must sell him next window or he is worth nothing.

Onion
07-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Been really impressed with Ryan of late. Starting to become the leader of the team, with passion and grit. Yes, he's prone to aberrations but if he can cut those out he's got the makings of a top player.

greenlex
07-03-2022, 07:42 PM
Might be in the minority here but until he curbs the non footballing engagements with opponents on the park he is never going to be a top player. He has the makings of it make no mistake but he needs to just do what he’s good at and leave out the nonsense. He will be off in the summer regardless.

500miles
07-03-2022, 08:08 PM
Might be in the minority here but until he curbs the non footballing engagements with opponents on the park he is never going to be a top player. He has the makings of it make no mistake but he needs to just do what he’s good at and leave out the nonsense. He will be off in the summer regardless.

Held Scott Brown back right enough.

WeeRussell
07-03-2022, 08:30 PM
Which means we must sell him next window or he is worth nothing.

Unless he signs a contract extension.

cannastar
07-03-2022, 08:34 PM
as good as a centre back in the spl as there is and potentially the best for scotland in the near future if he remains injury free. can see him hanley and the vastly imroved mckenna being pivotal to scotlands defence in the games ahead to come and if soutar gets and remains fit he will take hanleys place due to age more than anything else.

Onion
07-03-2022, 08:38 PM

Granted, but he's just the kind of character Hibs have lacked over the years and what we need now. If half of Hibs players had half the desire and determination of Porteous, we'd be a far better side.

Hibbyradge
07-03-2022, 08:40 PM
He's a cracking player.

One of the best centre backs I've seen playing for Hibs and he's getting better all the time.

It's very hard to gauge at what level he could excel, but the suggestion that he will end up with an EPL club is not without merit.

I'd like him to stay, but I'm reconciled with the idea of him leaving in the summer.

WeeRussell
07-03-2022, 08:41 PM
as good as a centre back in the spl as there is and potentially the best for scotland in the near future if he remains injury free. can see him hanley and the vastly imroved mckenna being pivotal to scotlands defence in the games ahead to come and if soutar gets and remains fit he will take hanleys place due to age more than anything else.

Isn’t Souttar fit just now? I didn’t used to be a fan of him making the scotland squad but he was excellent in his last game for the national side.

Right now it’s up to Ryan to consistently show he’s at the level of those mentioned above and try get in about the team. I think he’s doing a decent job.

Radium
07-03-2022, 08:47 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220307/0179de4831fc53b87561560b257f3c62.png

… someone new in his life it seems. Cute factor 10

loanheadhibby
07-03-2022, 08:54 PM
Best young Centre Back we’ve had since Craig Paterson. If he screws the nut, could have a great career ahead of him.

cannastar
07-03-2022, 08:59 PM
soutar off injured against dundee united on saturday.

cannastar
07-03-2022, 09:02 PM
sent that sooner than i intended meant to read soutar off injured against dundee united on saturday in reply for poster asking if he was injured at present.

WeeRussell
07-03-2022, 09:03 PM
sent that sooner than i intended meant to read soutar off injured against dundee united on saturday in reply for poster asking if he was injured at present.

👍 I missed that