PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

GGTTH07
03-03-2022, 09:08 PM
How good has his passing been this season? Incredibly underrated, really went up a gear this past season

Frazerbob
03-03-2022, 09:13 PM
How good has his passing been this season? Incredibly underrated, really went up a gear this past season

Agreed. His distribution and confidence on the ball have been superb. Enjoy him whilst we have him. I suspect those hounding him out will get their way next window.

brog
03-03-2022, 09:21 PM
Great, a positive thread about a Hibs player and the 1st comment, 3 minutes later, is negative. I despair sometimes. FWIW I think Porto has been superb lately. He's really stepped up as a player and leader.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 09:22 PM
He has been superb this season. Come on an absolute ton. Definitely be getting bids in the summer.

Mikey_1875
03-03-2022, 09:25 PM
Certainly been strolling it recently. Defensively superb and the only one looking to break out of defence at times or try a different pass. Some won’t pay off but we need more risk takers in the side.

I do wish he would cut out the theatrics that have appeared in his game more often recently but it doesn’t seem to affect his playing ability. I thought it was a clear foul on him just before the Rocky sending off as well.

cannastar
03-03-2022, 09:35 PM
as i stated before he should look toward scott mckenna at forest as an example and try to emulate him. mckenna has improved immensley under steve cooper as would ryan under a proven coach. i believe its inevitable unfortunately for us that he will move on and hopefully to a club where he will develop and play on a regular basis. the talent and potential is there to be the best central defender that scotland has produced since perhaps colin hendry and quite possibly ryan will surpass him.

Jones28
03-03-2022, 09:40 PM
You're discounting the 2 or 3 every game which go straight to an opponent then?

Ffs

flash
03-03-2022, 09:40 PM

That's the spirit.

WeeRussell
03-03-2022, 09:57 PM
as i stated before he should look toward scott mckenna at forest as an example and try to emulate him. mckenna has improved immensley under steve cooper as would ryan under a proven coach. i believe its inevitable unfortunately for us that he will move on and hopefully to a club where he will develop and play on a regular basis. the talent and potential is there to be the best central defender that scotland has produced since perhaps colin hendry and quite possibly ryan will surpass him.

I’d already prefer Porteous over McKenna.

Sticks to being a solid defender that can confidently step-out with the ball, and keeps away from the rash lunges, and the only way is up.

HoboHarry
03-03-2022, 11:56 PM

Away back tae the telly and watch Crossroads.

OldEast
04-03-2022, 02:07 AM
Great, a positive thread about a Hibs player and the 1st comment, 3 minutes later, is negative. I despair sometimes. FWIW I think Porto has been superb lately. He's really stepped up as a player and leader.

If I had started a thread slagging Porto then the negative comment would hold water. I honestly thought the op was a joke or wind up and I was addressing the post rather than the point the poster was making if that makes sense. I now see that's not the case. Porto is and has been since his arrival probably my favourite player. A young, confident, hard playing defender and thank goodness we have him. Yes he has improved and continues to do so. Once he eliminates the few but fairly regular slack passes he'll be nearly the finished article.

OldEast
04-03-2022, 02:13 AM
Away back tae the telly and watch Crossroads.

Need to up your game if you're going to be having a go! I had to google this. Crossroads hasn't been on telly for 19 years. Must try harder. 😂😂😂

HoboHarry
04-03-2022, 02:25 AM
Need to up your game if you're going to be having a go! I had to google this. Crossroads hasn't been on telly for 19 years. Must try harder. 😂😂😂

Well not really, I was assuming you were an old git 😁

OldEast
04-03-2022, 02:41 AM
Well not really, I was assuming you were an old git 😁

Haha AGEIST!!! I'm offended 😂😂😂

Viva_Palmeiras
04-03-2022, 04:46 AM

Its what the internet has become.
Some attempts at poisoning the well fare better than others but either way it’s a sad state of affairs.

MWHIBBIES
04-03-2022, 05:37 AM

You genuinely will not find a footballer who doesn't do this.. No one has 100% pass success

Unseen work
04-03-2022, 05:55 AM
He’s a class act for me.

His improvement since he first came in is unbelievable, whether that’s 1 v 1 defending, on the ball, composure and something I think is quite impressive is how much more athletic he looks now, before he always looked a bit stiff to me. (Maybe not the best choice of wording :greengrin)

He’s the leader in our team and I think it’s easy to forget just how young he is, I actually wish we had some other players who would share the burden as it often seems like he’s carrying a lot of the burden and driving the team forward.

I really think that some quality experienced players would really help the likes of him and Nisbet, I think they’d up their game more consistently if they had a couple more that have maybe played at a higher level in their helping them.

JimBHibees
04-03-2022, 06:02 AM
He’s a class act for me.

His improvement since he first came in is unbelievable, whether that’s 1 v 1 defending, on the ball, composure and something I think is quite impressive is how much more athletic he looks now, before he always looked a bit stiff to me. (Maybe not the best choice of wording :greengrin)

He’s the leader in our team and I think it’s easy to forget just how young he is, I actually wish we had some other players who would share the burden as it often seems like he’s carrying a lot of the burden and driving the team forward.

I really think that some quality experienced players would really help the likes of him and Nisbet, I think they’d up their game more consistently if they had a couple more that have maybe played at a higher level in their helping them.

Agree with that still think he can do better 1v1s at times gets a bit square on imo. Cracking player and we should enjoy him while he is here.

danhibees1875
04-03-2022, 07:31 AM
You genuinely will not find a footballer who doesn't do this.. No one has 100% pass success

:agree:

Winston Ingram
04-03-2022, 07:36 AM
Porteous has been absolutely magnificent. He’s going to end up playing down south in the Premier League.

We’d better enjoy him while we can as I’d imagine with a year left on his deal, he’ll be off in the summer.

BoomtownHibees
04-03-2022, 07:39 AM

I’d rather he lost the ball a couple of times a game when trying to make something happen than him never to take any risks

weecounty hibby
04-03-2022, 07:44 AM
Best CH in the league

Stubbsy90+2
04-03-2022, 08:09 AM
He’s been very good.

He has a decent amount of stray passes but he also has a good amount of exceptional passes for a centre half. I’m sure he could cut the stray passes out but it would probably come at the expense of all his good ones. He takes risks sometimes but we need players to do that.

blackpoolhibs
04-03-2022, 08:11 AM
He's probably the best centre half we've had since big Sol.:top marks

my left peg
04-03-2022, 08:27 AM
You're discounting the 2 or 3 every game which go straight to an opponent then?Thats what happens when you are trying yo break the lines rather than playing it safe and backwords all the time,apart from Allan he is the best passer in the squad.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

EVENTUALLY
04-03-2022, 08:33 AM
I’d rather he lost the ball a couple of times a game when trying to make something happen than him never to take any risks

Spot on. :agree:

CentreLine
04-03-2022, 09:20 AM

Funny, I didn’t rate Sol Bamba for us and yet he has had a terrific career. Fighting illness now too. Good luck to him.
Ryan Porteous, on the other hand, I am a big fan of and he has still got areas of his game he needs to improve. Someone mentioned his occasional wayward passing and it does happen where he puts us in trouble. Fortunately he generally managed to clean up the mess too and these wayward passes are worth it because he far more often puts in accurate and decisive forward balls.
His reputation for recklessness is largely, but not entirely, a myth built by managers and pundits afraid of what he can do to their teams.
I imagine he will move on and have a wonderful career somewhere there is less noise from the outside. With that in mind I do wish he would sign a contract to ensure we get our rewards for his development and status when he does go

Coco Bryce
04-03-2022, 09:30 AM
Porto is class. He will go on to a very high level.

SaulGoodman
04-03-2022, 09:37 AM
Haha AGEIST!!! I'm offended 😂😂😂

We’re not all ageist here don’t worry.

I think your opinions utter ***** no matter what age you are.

Mcbizz1998
04-03-2022, 09:48 AM
I was very critical of Porto at times last season. Thought he was too rash and got caught up in silly feuds with Morelos and others, instead of concentrating on his game.

This season he has been outstanding. I always knew he had the ability and the physical attributes - great to see him bringing it all together. Long may it continue.

OldEast
04-03-2022, 09:56 AM
We’re not all ageist here don’t worry.

I think your opinions utter ***** no matter what age you are.

Do you aye? You maybe didn't read my follow up explaining my first post? If you did and still feel the same way then you carry on feeling superior. Maybe put me on ignore if that's possible.

easty
04-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Funny, I didn’t rate Sol Bamba for us and yet he has had a terrific career. Fighting illness now too. Good luck to him.
Ryan Porteous, on the other hand, I am a big fan of and he has still got areas of his game he needs to improve. Someone mentioned his occasional wayward passing and it does happen where he puts us in trouble. Fortunately he generally managed to clean up the mess too and these wayward passes are worth it because he far more often puts in accurate and decisive forward balls.
His reputation for recklessness is largely, but not entirely, a myth built by managers and pundits afraid of what he can do to their teams.
I imagine he will move on and have a wonderful career somewhere there is less noise from the outside. With that in mind I do wish he would sign a contract to ensure we get our rewards for his development and status when he does go

How could you not have rated Sol Bamba?? :confused:

bigwheel
04-03-2022, 10:03 AM
How could you not have rated Sol Bamba?? :confused:

I’m assuming “eyes painted on “ [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Hibbyradge
04-03-2022, 10:31 AM
Do you aye? You maybe didn't read my follow up explaining my first post? If you did and still feel the same way then you carry on feeling superior. Maybe put me on ignore if that's possible.

That's a fair comment.

I'd still have deleted your first post because people will read that, hit reply and have an understandable go at you.

Failing that, I'd post an edit in the first post.

It might save you a bit of grief, unless you like that sort of thing, of course.

OldEast
04-03-2022, 10:36 AM
That's a fair comment.

I'd still have deleted your first post because people will read that, hit reply and have an understandable go at you.

Failing that, I'd post an edit in the first post.

It might save you a bit of grief, unless you like that sort of thing, of course.

Ah right thanks, good idea. It has stirred up some grief as you say. Thanks again.

EdinMike
04-03-2022, 10:45 AM
I’ve definitely thought he was “rash” at times and still have that “what are doing ya muppet” moments when he’s on the ball, but you can tell he’s destined for other things. And hopefully for him it’s down south cause the MSM hate him up here apparently!

KWJ
04-03-2022, 10:53 AM
Because JDH/Campbell don't seem to be able to take the ball and then get us up the centre of the park nearly often enough Porto's driven passes inside or wee lob balls into space are desperately needed. As well as his drives into space which I'd like to see him do more although it opens up the risk if his pass isn't right or the recipient isn't able to hold it.

Stevenson seemed to be the only midfielder able to do this albeit against Arbroath and JDH did it much better in the 2nd half v County starting with that surprise throughball for Henderson.

brog
04-03-2022, 11:21 AM
If I had started a thread slagging Porto then the negative comment would hold water. I honestly thought the op was a joke or wind up and I was addressing the post rather than the point the poster was making if that makes sense. I now see that's not the case. Porto is and has been since his arrival probably my favourite player. A young, confident, hard playing defender and thank goodness we have him. Yes he has improved and continues to do so. Once he eliminates the few but fairly regular slack passes he'll be nearly the finished article.

I appreciate the explanation. As another poster said though every player in football mi****s a pass or 2 and there's also a correlation on pass completion between being brave and playing safe. Maloney wants us to be brave and IMO Ryan is relishing that challenge.

Carheenlea
04-03-2022, 11:28 AM
Guardian golf writer Ewan Murray is currently on a great weeks work - over in the Florida sunshine to cover the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, but he’s still spending time tweeting about Ryan Porteous.

Murray just screams of Hearts - the quintessential unfunny bitter jambo oddball. I love how the likes of Ryan Porteous spend so much time in their heads 24/7.

lord bunberry
04-03-2022, 11:56 AM
How long has he got left on his contract?

Diclonius
04-03-2022, 11:59 AM

Doubt anyone will beat Ambrose in my lifetime but definitely shades of him with Porteous.

OldEast
04-03-2022, 12:30 PM
How long has he got left on his contract?

Pretty sure 14 months. May next year I think.

lord bunberry
04-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Pretty sure 14 months. May next year I think.
Thanks

Hibbyradge
04-03-2022, 01:25 PM
A few weeks ago, some wannabe ITKer said that Ryan was about to sign a new contract and everyone took it as gospel and understandably got excited.

Clearly that was figment of their attention seeking imagination and I fully expect Hibs to cash in on Ryan this summer.

That would be a pity because he's turning out to be a very fine player and I'd have loved to have seen him develop further for a couple of years.

Still, I can't blame the boy if he feels a move away from Scotland is in his best interests. I won't blame him for looking to increase his income either.

Look what happened to Nisbet.

A Hi-Bee
04-03-2022, 01:30 PM
I appreciate the explanation. As another poster said though every player in football mi****s a pass or 2 and there's also a correlation on pass completion between being brave and playing safe. Maloney wants us to be brave and IMO Ryan is relishing that challenge.

I am sure you will remember John Blackley, every game he had an early mistake and once he got that out of the way, well what a player he was, every player makes a mistake or two, Ryan is a future Scotland captain, just a pity it will not be while he is a Hibs player, the media dahlings and others are making sure of that.
:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
04-03-2022, 02:55 PM
The odd misplaced pass is totally fine, for the reasons others have said.

A bigger problem before was the odd poor clearance that would arrive straight at an attackers feet in a good position, like the goal we lost against Rangers in the LC semi.

Last few weeks he’s defended and cleared our box superbly, as well as driving us forward and playing some great passes at times.

Having a great season.

darwenhibby
04-03-2022, 06:12 PM
Sloop Sauzee and Porteous
That would be a back 3

Tambo
04-03-2022, 07:40 PM
I think he has stepped up since Hanlon's absence and agree not every pass will come off.

Do think he needs to maybe stop trying to go down so easy in the box on corners at times.

Last Minute
04-03-2022, 07:57 PM
A few weeks ago, some wannabe ITKer said that Ryan was about to sign a new contract and everyone took it as gospel and understandably got excited.

Clearly that was figment of their attention seeking imagination and I fully expect Hibs to cash in on Ryan this summer.

That would be a pity because he's turning out to be a very fine player and I'd have loved to have seen him develop further for a couple of years.

Still, I can't blame the boy if he feels a move away from Scotland is in his best interests. I won't blame him for looking to increase his income either.

Look what happened to Nisbet.

He wants to go to the championship next season, things are being drawn up that hibs will be looked after in the future much like the McGinn contract . Can’t blame the lad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basehibby
04-03-2022, 08:01 PM
I've always seen Porteous as a future international - he has great physique, skills and attitude and Centre Back has always been a weak spot for Scotland. He has continued to grow in confidence and ability and he should be looking to be a permanent fixture in Stevie Clarkes squad going forward - fantastic player and Hibs through and through which just makes it all the better!

theonlywayisup
04-03-2022, 08:11 PM
Guardian golf writer Ewan Murray is currently on a great weeks work - over in the Florida sunshine to cover the Arnold Palmer Invitational at Bay Hill, but he’s still spending time tweeting about Ryan Porteous.

Murray just screams of Hearts - the quintessential unfunny bitter jambo oddball. I love how the likes of Ryan Porteous spend so much time in their heads 24/7.

Not doubting you, but are you getting your Ewan/Ewen Murray's mixed up.

There's Ewan Murray, the Guardian and Observer's golf correspondent, with added responsibility for overseeing coverage of Scottish football. Ewan's outside interests, fittingly, revolve around his own substandard golf game and Vladimir Romanov's stewardship of Heart of Midlothian.

And there's Ewen Murray, the retired Scottish professional golfer and sports commentator with Sky Sports, who I've not heard him talk about his football allegiances, albeit I could be wrong.