PDA

View Full Version : Will Hibs appeal Rocky's red card?

Hibbyradge
03-03-2022, 08:42 AM
It was obvious that Rocky didn't intend to hit the Dundee player, he was just trying to free his hand, so do you think Hibs will appeal the decision?

Even if they feel that there's little chance of the appeal being upheld, it would mean he was available for the St Johnstone game.

That's an important game in front of hopefully close to a full house so I think we should.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2022, 08:44 AM
It was obvious that Rocky didn't intend to hit the Dundee player, he was just trying to free his hand, so do you think Hibs will appeal the decision?

Even if they feel that there's little chance of the appeal being upheld, it would mean he was available for the St Johnstone game.

That's an important game in front of hopefully close to a full house so I think we should.
:agree: I have watched it a few times, and he was just trying to free his arm, i'm still not convinced he actually touched him either.

Since452
03-03-2022, 08:46 AM
I'd be amazed it it wasn't overturned but then it is Scottish football so who knows.

Onceinawhile
03-03-2022, 08:46 AM
Hope so and I hope the dundee boy who stamped on Porto gets a retrospective red.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 08:48 AM
If we do and we lose the appeal does he get a longer ban?

I think it’s a harsh red but at the same time I can see why it’s given. Id be wary of appealing if he’ll be out even longer if the appeal fails because I don’t think it’s cut and dry it’ll be a success.

If he wouldn’t be out any longer though then I’d definitely go for it.

500miles
03-03-2022, 08:48 AM
:agree: I have watched it a few times, and he was just trying to free his arm, i'm still not convinced he actually touched him either.

I've posted the IFAB rules on violent conduct again and there's no way he meets the criteria required. Absolutely nothing in it, and if it went against Rangers or Celtic, the referee would be in hiding.

Unseen work
03-03-2022, 08:53 AM
100%.

He’s getting his arm grabbed by McGowan and all Rocky does is pull it away at pace in a “get off of me” type of way. Nothing in it whatsoever.

If we appeal it and it’s successful would he be available for Saturday? I’m not sure it would go through that quick?

Also we talk about red cards for dangerous play, being out of control and endangering the opponent, this is usually said by the opposition to try and justify for someone like Porteous getting a red. How is Anderson almost taking Doigs head off not all of the above?

matty_f
03-03-2022, 08:57 AM
I definitely think we should appeal it, I can understand why the ref has sent him off but anyone looking at that again and thinking it’s worthy of a red card needs their head looked at.

500miles
03-03-2022, 08:58 AM
I definitely think we should appeal it, I can understand why the ref has sent him off but anyone looking at that again and thinking it’s worthy of a red card needs their head looked at.

They're torn faced about the result, so everything has to be Hibs fault. Weird mentality.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2022, 09:01 AM
I'd be surprised if thats overturned, swings his arm and catches the boy in the face. Its a red.

Billy Whizz
03-03-2022, 09:01 AM
If we do and we lose the appeal does he get a longer ban?

I think it’s a harsh red but at the same time I can see why it’s given. Id be wary of appealing if he’ll be out even longer if the appeal fails because I don’t think it’s cut and dry it’ll be a success.

If he wouldn’t be out any longer though then I’d definitely go for it.

No

Booked4Being-Ugly
03-03-2022, 09:02 AM
Why TF was that wee scroat McGowan holding onto his arm anyway? He single-handily got Rocky sent off. Really poor from a so-called professional, especially hitting the deck like he was pole-axed!

It shouldn’t have been a red but refs/compliance officers have it in for Hibs right now.

IberianHibernian
03-03-2022, 09:05 AM
Violent conduct in league counts for cup suspensions so he could miss Motherwell match if given 2 match ban or appeal fails after playing against St J

Carheenlea
03-03-2022, 09:05 AM
It’s the Dundee player who needs retrospective action. Feigning injury like that at what was the slightest of brushes, if there even contact at all to get opposing players sent off needs eradicated from the game.

Rocky’s red overturned - Paul McGowan a retrospective red card for simulation.

Brightside
03-03-2022, 09:31 AM
I'd be surprised if thats overturned, swings his arm and catches the boy in the face. Its a red.

I think its also a Red. I can't see us appealing.

matty_f
03-03-2022, 09:33 AM
I think its also a Red. I can't see us appealing.

What would your opinion be if it was Hanlon’s arm swiping away the pull rather than Rocky’s? :greengrin

Hermit Crab
03-03-2022, 09:40 AM
What would your opinion be if it was Hanlon’s arm swiping away the pull rather than Rocky’s? :greengrin

Still a red regardless.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2022, 09:50 AM
https://twitter.com/ScotlandSky/status/1499335469900967937

Stonewall red, we'd have a cheek to appeal that.

matty_f
03-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Still a red regardless.

I want Brightside’s answer :greengrin

j'adorehibs
03-03-2022, 09:56 AM

yip, smacks him in the coupon - was no need.

matty_f
03-03-2022, 09:56 AM

is it violent it with excessive force? i don’t think so.

Stonewall yellow, should be appealed.

malcolm
03-03-2022, 09:57 AM
Still a red regardless.

You think but others may think that you’d need elements of intent, recklessness and perhaps even contact for it to be an upheld red. The treatment of RP shows that, where the authorities feel like it, contact is not required.

However in any impartial judgement, the lack of apparent intent, the dubiety around contact and the lack of anything resembling recklessness should mean it would be squashed. Sadly I’m unconvinced that the necessary impartiality required to effectively retrospectively criticise a ref can be relied on to be in play when reviewing what seems clearly to be accidental if indeed any contact was even made.

I’d be claiming mitigation in that I moved my hand so swiftly as I was being nipped:wink:

Tricla
03-03-2022, 09:58 AM

He pulls his arm away at pace. There's no intention of touching the Dundee player and he barely does if he does at all.

It's anything but a stonewall red and we should appeal.

Tricla
03-03-2022, 09:59 AM
is it violent it with excessive force? i don’t think so.

Stonewall yellow, should be appealed.

I don't even think it's a yellow Matty. A compete non-event IMO.

JohnM1875
03-03-2022, 10:01 AM
I can't believe there's folk thinking we should be appealing the red.

Can't see any way an appeals panel look at that footage and think the refs got it wrong. Clearly hits McGowan in the face.

Heisenberg
03-03-2022, 10:01 AM
I don’t see them overturning it because it’s the SFA but we should definitely try.

Aldo
03-03-2022, 10:02 AM
McGowan is a ****ing rat and knew exactly what he was doing! That aside it was very silly of Rocky and if that had happened against a Hibs player we’d all be shouting for a red!

It’s a red card for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
03-03-2022, 10:03 AM

Can't see any way an appeals panel look at that footage and think the refs got it wrong. Clearly hits McGowan in the face.

If we appeal, he'll be available for Saturday.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 10:04 AM
Violent conduct in league counts for cup suspensions so he could miss Motherwell match if given 2 match ban or appeal fails after playing against St J

I think violent conduct means you miss the next game irrespective of competition however dont think he would miss the cup game if he misses St johnstone. Ironically he may miss cup tie if we appeal and his appeal if after this weekend is rejected.

shetlandhibee
03-03-2022, 10:08 AM

Have to agree not a chance getting that over turned , catches him how ever slight speed of the movement didn’t look good red card ( by latter of law all be it a soft one!)

greenginger
03-03-2022, 10:08 AM

St Mirren appealed a red card for their player who was ordered off against Livingston for connecting with a guys coupon.

Got it reduced to a yellow.

brog
03-03-2022, 10:09 AM

Matty, I've just seen it and I honestly think there's zero chance of the decision being overturned. One thing I would say though is McGowan should have been booked earlier for his attempted trip on JDH. Just as on Sunday a referee's failure to take action had severe consequences for Hibs. If McGowan was on a yellow he wouldn't have been hanging on to Rocky later on.

MrSmith
03-03-2022, 10:09 AM
Personally don't think we should appeal it. Definitely intent there but luckily for Rocky, he only skiffed him or could've been looking at a violent conduct charge.

Carheenlea
03-03-2022, 10:14 AM
The more you watch it, the less the contact (if any) becomes.

If they can’t prove for certain there was contact they have to overturn the red card.

McGowan has cheated here, pure and simple. That doesn’t put a grown man down.

Itsnoteasy
03-03-2022, 10:16 AM

Got to agree. Also if we appeal does this not cost us cash.

Brightside
03-03-2022, 10:25 AM

Still a red. :greengrin Honestly. :greengrin

Brightside
03-03-2022, 10:27 AM
He pulls his arm away at pace. There's no intention of touching the Dundee player and he barely does if he does at all.

It's anything but a stonewall red and we should appeal.

Im not sure where people are seeing him pulling his arm away. He swings out with his arm and catches the player. IF he pulled his arm away he'd have hit himself in the coupon. Dundee player should have been sent off for the kick to the head of Doig tho and I hope Hibs make a complaint about that.

JohnM1875
03-03-2022, 10:29 AM
Im not sure where people are seeing him pulling his arm away. He swings out with his arm and catches the player. Dundee player should have been sent off for the kick to the head of Doig tho and I hope Hibs make a complaint about that.

Didn't Kensell recently say he had a good meeting with the SFA/SPFL about inconsistencies in refereeing decisions against us? About time we have another one. Some baffling calls lately.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 10:30 AM
Didn't Kensell recently say he had a good meeting with the SFA/SPFL about inconsistencies in refereeing decisions against us? About time we have another one. Some baffling calls lately.

Unfortunately history tends to suggest these good meetings tend to have the opposite effect certainly for us they do.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 10:51 AM
Depending on when the appeal would be, might be worth appealing just to try and get him available for Saturday and hope the extra week would give us the chance to get someone else back. They won’t overturn it IMO.

hibby rae
03-03-2022, 11:03 AM
The thing that angers me the most is Paul McGowan's haircut. Just accept your baldness and shave your head ffs!

500miles
03-03-2022, 11:04 AM
Personally don't think we should appeal it. Definitely intent there but luckily for Rocky, he only skiffed him or could've been looking at a violent conduct charge.

What do you think he was sent off for?

hibby rae
03-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Just watching it again, it's defo a red. He looks and lifts his hands to McGowan. I imagine a backhander from Rocky would knock most of us down. Put it down to him still being a young player and he'll know better next time, but there's no way an appeal would be successful.

PeeJay
03-03-2022, 11:30 AM
It's a clear red for me and we should perhaps stop moaning about the referee and worry more about Rocky's obvious discipline problem - how many yellows has he collected in his short stay with us 4! (and now a red)?

greenlex
03-03-2022, 11:30 AM
Should appeal it. Said it at the time. Pulls his arm away as the player is holding onto him. No intent whatsoever. It’s a yellow at best and I’m not even sure it’s that to be honest. If that’s violent conduct the games softer than I thought it was.

MrSmith
03-03-2022, 11:32 AM
What do you think he was sent off for?

Violent conduct with intent however, as there has been a rule change in terms of the word 'intent' being dropped because referees cannot prove intent, possibly misconduct.

Carheenlea
03-03-2022, 11:35 AM
Is there another camera angle doing the rounds other than the grainy inconclusive footage in the link earlier in this thread?

Stick
03-03-2022, 11:38 AM
Just spent about 10 mins running that clip back and forward. It looks like McGowan has a hold of Rockies arm and Rocky pulled his arm away, and inadvertently caught McGowan. We all see things differently, but surely McGowan had no reason to grab Rocky in the first place, and Rocky has the right to free his hand by pulling it away. We should appeal as it would surely have to be proved there was intent by Rocky. Seen thousands of incidents over the years that were a lot worse and more obvious than this, and no sanction given. Hibs should simply ask Rocky if there was intent in the heat of the moment, if he says not then we should stand by our player and appeal.

Forza Fred
03-03-2022, 11:39 AM
Back handed him to the jaw.

A red without doubt.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 11:42 AM
He didnt mean it but I think we have slim chance of getting it overturned.

The dundee boy who booted Doig in the face didnt mean it either, but that could also have been a red.

03-03-2022, 11:42 AM

When I saw it last night it didn't look like Rocky caught him but seeing that clip he clearly does. He was getting his shirt pulled but was daft to react like that. He's young and inexperienced and hopefully learns from it. Don't think it affected the outcome as we didn't look like we were going to score when we had 11 on the pitch.

lord bunberry
03-03-2022, 11:45 AM

A red without doubt.
That’s exactly how I saw it as well, I doubt we’d appeal that one.

wookie70
03-03-2022, 12:04 PM
I'd appeal and say that Rocky never made contact and even if he did it was minimal and without intent and only happened because of the other players actions. Given the injuries I think we have little choice to appeal

Billy Whizz
03-03-2022, 12:04 PM
They’d need to do it today, if they are appealing it

Pretty Boy
03-03-2022, 12:07 PM
You swing your arm like that you are asking for trouble.

We wouldn't win an appeal.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 12:12 PM
You swing your arm like that you are asking for trouble.

We wouldn't win an appeal.

I’m inclined to think the same but if it wouldn’t extend his ban by losing it then it’s worth a shot imo.

silverhibee
03-03-2022, 12:22 PM

Yes, Hibs have been quite good in appealing red cards given to our players, Dundee player made a meal of it, was it McGowan, dirty we rat feigning injury.

BonnieFitbaTeam
03-03-2022, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=Booked4Being-Ugly;6877718]Why TF was that wee scroat McGowan holding onto his arm anyway? He single-handily got Rocky sent off. Really poor from a so-called professional, especially hitting the deck like he was pole-axed!

<cough>.....Ryan Porteous.....<cough>

silverhibee
03-03-2022, 12:28 PM

We will appeal that.

Arch Stanton
03-03-2022, 12:35 PM

He swings his arm? Was that before or after it was being held?

LunasBoots
03-03-2022, 12:41 PM
No chance that's getting overturned

1van Sprou7e
03-03-2022, 12:41 PM
Think it's fair to say he had no intention of hitting him in the face, defo appeal imho

Sir David Gray
03-03-2022, 12:51 PM
I don't see that there is any point at all in us appealing, it was a fairly blatant red card for me.

Gordy M
03-03-2022, 12:53 PM
Whats the issue in appealing it? Is it something like a £1000? I think having him potentially free for next 2 games is more importnat than the cash, unless Hanlon is back.

silverhibee
03-03-2022, 01:15 PM
Whats the issue in appealing it? Is it something like a £1000? I think having him potentially free for next 2 games is more importnat than the cash, unless Hanlon is back.

Hanlon won’t be back anytime soon.

bigwheel
03-03-2022, 01:17 PM

Is it the same issue that kept him out during the (ahem) Butcher season ??

Brightside
03-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Is it the same issue that kept him out during the (ahem) Butcher season ??

no

The Harp Awakes
03-03-2022, 01:47 PM

What is his injury :dunno:

SON OF PADDY
03-03-2022, 02:14 PM

A red without doubt.

💯% Red card all day long !

ahibby
03-03-2022, 02:35 PM
💯% Red card all day long !

Well some say so but I saw it last night aswell as replays today. All he does is pull his arm away Dundee player had no right to be holding him off the ball. Little to no contact. Freeing your arm is not violent conduct especiallt when there is no real proof of intent nor contact.

Eyrie
03-03-2022, 07:08 PM
I don't think there was intent or much contact, but any contact inevitably results in the "victim" throwing himself to the ground and a red card.

We had a much stronger case with Porteous at Ibrox and it was still rejected.

ahibby
03-03-2022, 07:45 PM
I don't think there was intent or much contact, but any contact inevitably results in the "victim" throwing himself to the ground and a red card.

We had a much stronger case with Porteous at Ibrox and it was still rejected.

Its all about angle perspective its used in movies all the time to make it look like contact. Just because it looks light slight contact there wasnt any he was knocked down by the wind from the sweeping arm, knocked down, yet not a mark, bruise nor cut.

Logie Green
03-03-2022, 08:42 PM
Ben Kensell confirmed at the AGM tonight that Hibs will not be appealing the red card issued at Dundee last night.

eastterrace
03-03-2022, 08:45 PM
Ben Kensell confirmed at the AGM tonight that Hibs will not be appealing the red card issued at Dundee last night.
Also he did say that dundee should have had at least one red card and would just like consistency with decisions.