PDA

View Full Version : Scott Allan

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 11:38 PM
Now I’m not saying he’s the same player he was but when we’re badly lacking any quality up top I find it crazy he’s not getting a look in.

For the very little he’s featured this season he’s still provided a very decent number of assists, he probably has the most at the club this season?

Hes not the same player but he’s still capable of a bit of magic like he showed against St Johnstone in the last game against them.

Hermit Crab
02-03-2022, 11:47 PM
Maloney clearly doesn't fancy him, he will be away at the end of the season. Such a shame as I really like him.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2022, 11:52 PM
Maloney clearly doesn't fancy him, he will be away at the end of the season. Such a shame as I really like him.

Jack Ross didn't fancy him either. Scott has his weaknesses but when we're totally devoid of creativity and have 10 players out, you do wonder why he's not getting more of an opportunity.

matty_f
03-03-2022, 09:20 AM
Jack Ross didn't fancy him either. Scott has his weaknesses but when we're totally devoid of creativity and have 10 players out, you do wonder why he's not getting more of an opportunity.

I think you just have to watch him now to see why he’s not featuring.

Ive always enjoyed watching him, and it’s not ready to accept that he’s just not producing what he used to anywhere near as consistently as we need him to.

I think his last meaningful contribution was an assist against St Johnstone but after that you’re looking at passes that nearly came off, or an admittedly pleasing kick at Callum Mcgregor on Sunday.

He’s well off the pace of the game and doesn’t get the time he needs on the ball.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 09:28 AM

Ive always enjoyed watching him, and it’s not ready to accept that he’s just not producing what he used to anywhere near as consistently as we need him to.

I think his last meaningful contribution was an assist against St Johnstone but after that you’re looking at passes that nearly came off, or an admittedly pleasing kick at Callum Mcgregor on Sunday.

He’s well off the pace of the game and doesn’t get the time he needs on the ball.

He is well of the pace but I still think, if he was getting some regular minutes on the pitch, he wouldn’t be as off the pace.

Taking Doidge as an example, I keep hearing that he just needs game time to get up to speed but the same thing doesn’t seem to apply to Allan. He’s had one semi decent run in the team all season and contributed and we played well (final game of that run against Dundee Utd aside).

Don’t think Allan is our saviour but watching the same players doing the same things week in, week out is hard going at the moment. He’s probably got a better return than anyone else for goal involvements than anyone else in relation to minutes on the pitch. Or it’ll certainly be up there.

matty_f
03-03-2022, 09:32 AM
He is well of the pace but I still think, if he was getting some regular minutes on the pitch, he wouldn’t be as off the pace.

Taking Doidge as an example, I keep hearing that he just needs game time to get up to speed but the same thing doesn’t seem to apply to Allan. He’s had one semi decent run in the team all season and contributed and we played well (final game of that run against Dundee Utd aside).

Don’t think Allan is our saviour but watching the same players doing the same things week in, week out is hard going at the moment.

The difference between Doidge and Allan is that we have options to replace Allan. When other forwards were fit, Doidge was in the same boat as Allan and having to make do with coming off the bench mostly because he’s not been at it either.

we are hibs
03-03-2022, 09:33 AM

Don’t think Allan is our saviour but watching the same players doing the same things week in, week out is hard going at the moment. He’s probably got a better return than anyone else for goal involvements than anyone else in relation to minutes on the pitch.Agreed.

I dont undertand why he isnt getting a decent run out in games like yesterday. Whats the worst he does? Hes ineffective? Then hes only matching others who have had ample more opportunities this season. At least with Allan he still has genuine quality and could win us a game as opposed to others who seem to get a game cause they can run about.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 09:36 AM
The difference between Doidge and Allan is that we have options to replace Allan. When other forwards were fit, Doidge was in the same boat as Allan and having to make do with coming off the bench mostly because he’s not been at it either.

Doidge had three or four starts in the space of a fortnight last month when we had others available, and was getting progressively worse.

We have other options but how many of them are contributing anything in the final third? Of the available ‘attacking’ players I think he’s got more goal involvements than Jasper, Wright, Mueller and Henderson combined.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 10:17 AM

Don’t think Allan is our saviour but watching the same players doing the same things week in, week out is hard going at the moment. He’s probably got a better return than anyone else for goal involvements than anyone else in relation to minutes on the pitch. Or it’ll certainly be up there.

Agree.

Worst case scenario, Allan is ineffective and we’re not all that much worse off. Best case scenario, Allan starts creating chances and we start scoring goals.

It’s well worth the gamble imo.

JohnM1875
03-03-2022, 10:24 AM
Agree.

Worst case scenario, Allan is ineffective and we’re not all that much worse off. Best case scenario, Allan starts creating chances and we start scoring goals.

It’s well worth the gamble imo.

Have to say I completely agree. No player is going to be sharp given the amount of game time Allan has had recently. That would come with minutes on the pitch, but even without them he'll still create more than Campbell or JDH.

Stevie Reid
03-03-2022, 11:22 AM
Often overlooked is how key Allan's loss was for us last season. In the 2019/20 Heckingbottom/Ross curtailed season, he scored 10 goals and had 11 assists, and was again looking like the player we had here twice before. He was vital to our best performances under Ross that season - who knows what we could have done had we had him available last season?

Last season was a lost cause, and sadly now it looks like he just can't cut it physically at the level we need anymore - it's a real shame, absolutely love him.

Keith_M
03-03-2022, 11:23 AM

Wow, I actually agree with HC!

😁

Carheenlea
03-03-2022, 11:32 AM
That pitch wasn’t conducive to seeing an influential performance from Scott Allan. Sad to see him so far down the pecking order and it’s clear his time is winding down at Hibs.

thebausburst
03-03-2022, 11:32 AM
People judging Scott on the odd 20 mins he gets and saying he’s not the same player, unfit etc is very unfair, needs a run in the team which he sadly is not going to get, folks would do well to remember form is temporary but class is for ever!

Callum_62
03-03-2022, 11:34 AM
People judging Scott on the odd 20 mins he gets and saying he’s not the same player, unfit etc is very unfair, needs a run in the team which he sadly is not going to get, folks would do well to remember form is temporary but class is for ever!It's not though

Players lose there ability effectiveness all the time and for a variety of reasons

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Is It On....
03-03-2022, 11:39 AM

Scott Allan doesn't fit into the possession, safety first football model. He tries to make things happen that will mean his passes completed stats are probably worse than others but, equally, he is more likely to make the passes that create real chances and win games.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 11:48 AM

Yes but the problem is nobody getting game time ahead of him is even close to contributing to us creating and scoring goals in the same way that Allan was doing earlier in the season.

Zero goals in 7 of our last 9 games.

CapitalGreen
03-03-2022, 11:57 AM
Scott Allan doesn't fit into the possession, safety first football model. He tries to make things happen that will mean his passes completed stats are probably worse than others but, equally, he is more likely to make the passes that create real chances and win games.

The problem is he’s chasing shadows when we are out of possession. He got booked for fouling someone who ghosted past him last Sunday. He’d only been on the pitch for 15 mins and was getting easily outpaced by someone who had played 90+ minutes.

allmodcons
03-03-2022, 12:04 PM
He's finished.

If he can't make the starting 11 or get any game time when we have 9 out injured he's done.

Sadly, it's time for him to move on.

allmodcons
03-03-2022, 12:07 PM
The problem is he’s chasing shadows when we are out of possession. He got booked for fouling someone who ghosted past him last Sunday. He’d only been on the pitch for 15 mins and was getting easily outpaced by someone who had played 90+ minutes.

Probably because he hadn't time to get a second wind.

His lack of game time under JR and SM has been embarrassing.

Who would want 15 minutes every 3 or 4 games to prove they can play?

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 12:11 PM
He's finished.

If he can't make the starting 11 or get any game time when we have 9 out injured he's done.

Sadly, it's time for him to move on.

Yet he's 2nd in our entire squad for contributing directly to goals this season. What does that say about the rest of them?

KeithTheHibby
03-03-2022, 12:42 PM
We are only playing 1 up top at the moment and Doidge / Nisbet both look isolated when playing.

Incredible to think that SM does not think that Allan could fill that void of playing as a number 10 as none of the other midfielders are even close to doing that.

silverhibee
03-03-2022, 12:47 PM

I may be wrong but in the games he has come on he picks up yellow cards for the same thing each game, player goes past him and he hacks them as he just doesn’t have the will to chase them down anymore, if folk think we should start him just for that magical pass then that’s madness because they aren’t coming of for him anymore and he doesn’t contribute anything else to the game, if runs about training like he does on the pitch then I can see why Maloney isn’t starting him and on the that pitch last night he would have been posted missing.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 12:58 PM
I may be wrong but in the games he has come on he picks up yellow cards for the same thing each game, player goes past him and he hacks them as he just doesn’t have the will to chase them down anymore, if folk think we should start him just for that magical pass then that’s madness because they aren’t coming of for him anymore and he doesn’t contribute anything else to the game, if runs about training like he does on the pitch then I can see why Maloney isn’t starting him and on the that pitch last night he would have been posted missing.

If the stat above about him having the second most goal contributions this season is correct then considering the amount of time he’s had on the pitch then I’d suggest starting him just for that magical pass isn’t really madness at all.

We all know Allan has his flaws. He’s always had them. He also has a much higher level of ability in terms of the things he’s good at than anyone in our squad though.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 01:00 PM

He only has 2 yellows all season ( including the Celtic one) so I dont think you are being fair there. Edit - sorry he got one in League Cup as well.

I've heard over the years about a few different players around things like "he doesn't offer anything other than a magical pass/goal from distance/the ability to finish". I think sometimes people forget that scoring goals is the primary objective of football. :greengrin

I don't think anyone is saying start him every week, but he has already proved this season he is better than most at helping us score when he has been used.

CapitalGreen
03-03-2022, 01:16 PM
If the stat above about him having the second most goal contributions this season is correct then considering the amount of time he’s had on the pitch then I’d suggest starting him just for that magical pass isn’t really madness at all.

We all know Allan has his flaws. He’s always had them. He also has a much higher level of ability in terms of the things he’s good at than anyone in our squad though.

He’s played more minutes this season that any of the attacking players we had on the pitch last night bar Doidge.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 01:19 PM
He’s played more minutes this season that any of the attacking players we had on the pitch last night bar Doidge.

And he’ll probably have more goal contributions per minute than them as well.

Calidad
03-03-2022, 05:24 PM

And out of interest when was Drey Wright’s last meaningful contribution? Has there ever been one?

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 05:31 PM
And out of interest when was Drey Wright’s last meaningful contribution? Has there ever been one?

Played well on Sunday

Calidad
03-03-2022, 05:38 PM
Played well on Sunday

He worked hard. But I wouldn’t say he played particularly well. At what point is it expected that an attacker, god forbid, actually create something or score? He’s literally done neither of those things in his time at the club.

Kaff
03-03-2022, 05:53 PM
My recollection, hopefully correct, is that he slowly got into the starting team and was picking up his sharpness etc as it coincided with our good unbeaten run until we met Rangers and Porto got sent off.
He was the sacrificial forward and our following run terrible of form and JR being ultra conservative trying to get out of it meant he never got a proper look in again.
I’m baffled though that SM is continuing this and we only see him for 10/15 mins every 3rd game?
I enjoy watching Jasper and looking forward to Melkerson progressing but I think his final ball is what was missing last night, indeed SM said it’s something that will develop in Jasper with experience, play him with one of the best in Scotland and it will come quicker!?
I know I’m being sentimental but it does sadden me to see his Hibs career fizzle away like this.

BoomtownHibees
03-03-2022, 06:26 PM
He worked hard. But I wouldn’t say he played particularly well. At what point is it expected that an attacker, god forbid, actually create something or score? He’s literally done neither of those things in his time at the club.

Apart from literally scoring for Hibs, you’re spot on

But do agree with the main point of your post, we need more than just running about and putting in a couple of tackles from our attacking players

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 06:44 PM

Agree.

Drey Wright done well on Sunday by the standards he’s set for himself. If you had never seen Hibs play before you’d say he done fine.

Allan is a much better option, especially in a more attacking role like Wright was playing.

Callum_62
03-03-2022, 06:56 PM
My recollection, hopefully correct, is that he slowly got into the starting team and was picking up his sharpness etc as it coincided with our good unbeaten run until we met Rangers and Porto got sent off.
He was the sacrificial forward and our following run terrible of form and JR being ultra conservative trying to get out of it meant he never got a proper look in again.
I’m baffled though that SM is continuing this and we only see him for 10/15 mins every 3rd game?
I enjoy watching Jasper and looking forward to Melkerson progressing but I think his final ball is what was missing last night, indeed SM said it’s something that will develop in Jasper with experience, play him with one of the best in Scotland and it will come quicker!?
I know I’m being sentimental but it does sadden me to see his Hibs career fizzle away like this.I would be interesting to see where he ends up next season

I'd suggest, sadly it won't be a top league

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

CentreLine
03-03-2022, 07:12 PM
The elephant in the room is that Scott Allan has a serious heart condition and type one diabetes. He is a legend for having managed and overcome the worst symptoms of both conditions to play at the top level
I’m Scottish football. BUT as he gets older these conditions inevitably must take more of a toll on him and his overall condition. I do not believe any manager would leave a fit Scott Allan out of their team. The fact he is left out suggests to me we are not prepared to take risks with his health and I can’t fault that.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 07:23 PM
The elephant in the room is that Scott Allan has a serious heart condition and type one diabetes. He is a legend for having managed and overcome the worst symptoms of both conditions to play at the top level
I’m Scottish football. BUT as he gets older these conditions inevitably must take more of a toll on him and his overall condition. I do not believe any manager would leave a fit Scott Allan out of their team. The fact he is left out suggests to me we are not prepared to take risks with his health and I can’t fault that.

I’ve never been convinced that’s the reason he’s been left out so much. Not all the time anyway, given he was absolutely fine when he did get the one mini run in the team. Guess we’ll find out next season if he goes somewhere and manages to play week in, week out.

Greenworld
03-03-2022, 07:29 PM
I’ve never been convinced that’s the reason he’s been left out so much. Not all the time anyway, given he was absolutely fine when he did get the one mini run in the team. Guess we’ll find out next season if he goes somewhere and manages to play week in, week out.Agree its clear it a personal matter and health is the riding factor.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

truehibernian
03-03-2022, 07:32 PM
He may want to play more, but I'd love to see Hibs give SA a coaching role - for a variety of reasons he is a good role model for young players, managing illness, playing at the top level, looking after your body, handling speculation, going to a club that fits as opposed to chasing money, etc.

Has all the attributes for being a good coach / scout.

wookie70
03-03-2022, 07:41 PM

Doidge has been back months and he is not much fitter and sharper now than he was. I don't think he will improve and neither do I think Scottie will. I'm not Allan's greatest fan but I'm surprised he hasn't featured as a last 15-20 minute sub. You could see with that shocking tackle against Celtc how far off the pace he is but in some games we can afford to have a player who will be a man short when we don't have the ball. He will be gone in the summer though and I doubt Doidge will be in Maloney's plans either

Iggy Pope
03-03-2022, 07:44 PM

Ooooh, hang on….. :greengrin

CentreLine
03-03-2022, 07:48 PM
I’ve never been convinced that’s the reason he’s been left out so much. Not all the time anyway, given he was absolutely fine when he did get the one mini run in the team. Guess we’ll find out next season if he goes somewhere and manages to play week in, week out.

The thing is he has never played week in and week out since he was with us under Alan Stubbs. He was highly thought of under Neil McCann when on loan at Dundee but unable to grace the field play regularly. Since he returned to us not one manager has been able to play him week in week out. The wails of dessert from the terrace were loud and long, especially at Paul Heckingbottom and Jack Ross. Now we hear it at Shaun Maloney. We need to move on and realise he is an absolute role model for people with his conditions, a hero in fact. But he’s no longer reliable enough to fill a place in our first team squad.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 07:54 PM
The thing is he has never played week in and week out since he was with us under Alan Stubbs. He was highly thought of under Neil McCann when on loan at Dundee but unable to grace the field play regularly. Since he returned to us it one manager has been able to play him week in week out. The wails of dessert from the terrace were loud and long, especially at Paul Heckingbottom and Jack Ross. Now we hear it at Shaun Maloney. We need to move on and realise he is an absolute role model for people with his conditions, a hero in fact. But he’s no longer reliable enough to fill a place in our first team squad.

He played most weeks under Hecky and Ross in 2019/20 before Covid hit. Started games at the beginning of last season before the heart issue was identified and he missed a lot through that. He’s only really had one semi decent run this season and seemed pretty reliable but the less he’s played the less likely he is to make an impact as he has zero sharpness.

I think he’ll go somewhere, lower half of the league, and play regular next year.

Tambo
03-03-2022, 07:57 PM
It's looking like there is no way he will be at Hibs next season which of course when a popular players leaves is always sad.

I don't think he has been giving a proper chance under Maloney and he has had some decent performances this season considering the health issues.

Keith_M
03-03-2022, 08:26 PM
If stopping the opposition from scoring... and not scoring ourselves either... is how we want to play then I agree, Allan is not the type of player for Hibs.

silverhibee
04-03-2022, 01:42 PM
He may want to play more, but I'd love to see Hibs give SA a coaching role - for a variety of reasons he is a good role model for young players, managing illness, playing at the top level, looking after your body, handling speculation, going to a club that fits as opposed to chasing money, etc.

Has all the attributes for being a good coach / scout.

Think we have enough coaches at Hibs just now TH, not forgetting that we will have to make space for McGregor in the summer and the Lewis soon after that.

Iain G
04-03-2022, 01:47 PM
If stopping the opposition from scoring... and not scoring ourselves either... is how we want to play then I agree, Allan is not the type of player for Hibs.

Which is not how we want to play...

KWJ
04-03-2022, 01:51 PM
In a game that we're expected to dominate, like Saturday, I'd want to see Allan take the place of Campbell and be the guy to take the ball and make forward passes. In the few minutes he got against St. Mirren he was the one we looked to do this but he was man marked out of it as it was so obvious.

Campbell has been better the past few weeks but he just can't do what Scott Allan can and what we need to start scoring goals.

I'd prefer him a bit further up the pitch but we have some options there. Give him a try as our Pirlo, for 30-60 mins at least.

keep the faith
04-03-2022, 09:26 PM
In a game that we're expected to dominate, like Saturday, I'd want to see Allan take the place of Campbell and be the guy to take the ball and make forward passes. In the few minutes he got against St. Mirren he was the one we looked to do this but he was man marked out of it as it was so obvious.

Campbell has been better the past few weeks but he just can't do what Scott Allan can and what we need to start scoring goals.

I'd prefer him a bit further up the pitch but we have some options there. Give him a try as our Pirlo, for 30-60 mins at least.

100% we should be giving him a chance. Or else tell everyone what's going on, as not playing him for the last 2 months when we have been creating zero chances just makes no sense.