PDA

View Full Version : Jasper

lord bunberry
02-03-2022, 10:38 PM
I’m just home and I’m still annoyed with him tonight, he needs dramatically improve his decision making. Twice tonight he could’ve played a simple pass to leave a teammate clean in on goal and both times he tried to score himself. He’s got the potential to be a top player, it f he doesn’t improve his decision making his career will peak with us. I hope Maloney gets him told and works really hard with him because we could easily have won that game tonight.

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 10:41 PM
I’m just home and I’m still annoyed with him tonight, he needs dramatically improve his decision making. Twice tonight he could’ve played a simple pass to leave a teammate clean in on goal and both times he tried to score himself. He’s got the potential to be a top player, it f he doesn’t improve his decision making his career will peak with us. I hope Maloney gets him told and works really hard with him because we could easily have won that game tonight.

Exactly where I am with him as well. Think he could be a real player for us but he really needs to learn to lift his head and pass at times. Boyle had the exact same issue when he first came to Hibs, so there's hope for Jasper yet.

lord bunberry
02-03-2022, 10:43 PM
Exactly where I am with him as well. Think he could be a real player for us but he really needs to learn to lift his head and pass at times. Boyle had the exact same issue when he first came to Hibs, so there's hope for Jasper yet.
Doig was furious with him.

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 10:45 PM
Doig was furious with him.

:agree: and rightly so

cameronw-hfc
02-03-2022, 11:11 PM
He's a young laddie and will get better with game time. Remember what Boyle was like at Hibs at first. In his own words he was a speedboat with no driver

Kato
02-03-2022, 11:14 PM
He's a young laddie and will get better with game time. Remember what Boyle was like at Hibs at first. In his own words he was a speedboat with no driverExactly. Jasper is an exciting prospect with a lot to learn. Having the composure to lift tour head and have a look around is natural for some but has to be drilled into others, with Boyle, Sproule being prime examples.

He's a player though. Hope to see a lot more of him. The sloppier aspects of his game can be tidied up.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 11:30 PM
He’s a good young player, could be very good imo.

I think part of the reason he at times over does it is because he also see’s how little we create so when he gets on it he thinks he needs to make something happen.

I like how he’s always so positive and wants to take a man on, but sometimes a 1-2 or releasing the ball would be better.

I was raging at him for not playing Doig in but watching the replay Doig wasn’t as open as I first thought. The one I was annoyed at was when the ball came back out to him from a corner and instead of crossing it he tried to beat 2 men.

Hell come good, I just think we need to get him the ball higher up the pitch.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2022, 11:35 PM
Understand the point being made, but he is the least of our problems. He didn't start for some reason tonight, so harsh to criticise him when we created nothing previously.

Hermit Crab
02-03-2022, 11:42 PM
Tried to do it all himself when he came on. Should have slid Doig in for a clear shot at goal. Bad decision to try and beat 3 defenders on his own.

Since452
03-03-2022, 05:15 AM
He looks far better than Boyle did when he first arrived look at how that worked out.

hibee1875
03-03-2022, 05:47 AM
Maloney addressed it in his post match comments so hopefully we see an improvement on Saturday

bigwheel
03-03-2022, 06:08 AM
He looks far better than Boyle did when he first arrived look at how that worked out.

Tekkers wise yes, but Boyle pace is a game changer .

hibee1875
03-03-2022, 06:23 AM
Tekkers wise yes, but Boyle pace is a game changer .

Even in the first half vs Celtic I thought it looked like Jasper was running through wet cement.

He looked more nippy when he came on last night though.

WeeRussell
03-03-2022, 07:49 AM
Tried to do it all himself when he came on. Should have slid Doig in for a clear shot at goal. Bad decision to try and beat 3 defenders on his own.

The other angle, however, is that he was easily our best player when on the pitch.

People seem to have decided he isn’t fast. I think we’ve been spoiled by Martin Boyle - we’ll wait a long time to have someone as fast and effective as him again.

Mcbizz1998
03-03-2022, 09:39 AM
I said similar on the match thread. He seems to almost feel like he needs to do it all on his own - maybe a reflection about how he see’s his team mates?

He does some really good stuff and must start but just needs to get his head up and release a team mate when on one of his runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 10:30 AM
He isn’t good enough yet to be starting for a team with ambitions of finishing top 4. With the squad we’ve got though he’s going to have to play.

He’s promising though.

Diclonius
03-03-2022, 11:05 AM
Boyle was the exact same when we signed him.

Stevie Reid
03-03-2022, 11:16 AM
I really like him, definitely a player that will get me out of my seat, he's always looking to make something happen. Plenty of time to improve too, in career terms he's hardly kicked a ball yet.

Definitely been greedy on a couple of occasions, but to be fair he seems very capable of shooting with both feet, and (given Cadden had a rare off night) was our only real creative source on the park after he came on.

To counter the decision making in the final third, I thought there were a couple of occasions where the ball broke to him on the edge of our box as Dundee were putting us under a little pressure late in the game. He held the ball up really well, allowing us to get out, before finding a good pass.

Making the right decisions in football is one of the key things that separates thousands of footballers with similar physical attributes and technical ability playing professional football at the moment. If he improves in that area, he'll be some player.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 02:02 PM
Boyle was the exact same when we signed him.

He looks like more of a Filipe Morais (remember him?) style player than a Martin Boyle to me. Fingers crossed he ends up being better than Morais.:greengrin

Diclonius
03-03-2022, 02:05 PM
He looks like more of a Filipe Morais (remember him?) style player than a Martin Boyle to me. Fingers crossed he ends up being better than Morais.:greengrin

You say that in jest, but...

https://youtu.be/KlfvUSjYFzA?t=90

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 02:14 PM
You say that in jest, but...

https://youtu.be/KlfvUSjYFzA?t=90

Forgot about that :greengrin He went on to do fairly well with most clubs albeit at League 1 or below level in England.

Hibbyradge
03-03-2022, 02:27 PM
Jasper will be a good impact player to use off the bench when we need to try something different.

At the moment, he doesn't fit any structure, never mind Maloney's, unless, maybe, he was played purely as a winger.

He's definitely fun to watch and I'll be happy if we hang on to him.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 03:11 PM
I really like him, definitely a player that will get me out of my seat, he's always looking to make something happen. Plenty of time to improve too, in career terms he's hardly kicked a ball yet.

Definitely been greedy on a couple of occasions, but to be fair he seems very capable of shooting with both feet, and (given Cadden had a rare off night) was our only real creative source on the park after he came on.

To counter the decision making in the final third, I thought there were a couple of occasions where the ball broke to him on the edge of our box as Dundee were putting us under a little pressure late in the game. He held the ball up really well, allowing us to get out, before finding a good pass.

Making the right decisions in football is one of the key things that separates thousands of footballers with similar physical attributes and technical ability playing professional football at the moment. If he improves in that area, he'll be some player.

I like him thought he was good v Celtic evidenced by the number of times they fouled him. His skills to beat Carter vickers was superb. Totally different player than we have bit of power about him direct and good skills. Will only get better imo.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 03:13 PM
He isn’t good enough yet to be starting for a team with ambitions of finishing top 4. With the squad we’ve got though he’s going to have to play.

He’s promising though.

Personally would be starting him every game with Henderson behind hopefully Melkersen.

Jonnyboy
03-03-2022, 03:40 PM
Think Jasper will both excite and frustrate in equal measure. Will get us on the edge of our seats at times but will also have us tearing our hair out at others.

I like him though 😁

Tambo
03-03-2022, 07:45 PM
Maybe tries the fancy stuff to much but at least he likes to get forward and have efforts on goal.

Mutu
03-03-2022, 08:46 PM
Wright should be nowhere near the starting 11 when Jasper is fit.

truehibernian
03-03-2022, 08:50 PM
Maybe tries the fancy stuff to much but at least he likes to get forward and have efforts on goal.

What I really like about him is that even when it doesn't come off for him, he looks for the ball again - noticed a couple of times v Celtic when the crowd groaned at him losing possession he simply blocked it out and wanted the ball again. I love seeing that trait in a player. Young and rash in his decision making but he's exciting :aok:

Crunchie
05-03-2022, 08:50 AM
He's the main reason I'm getting off my arse and going through today, I hope he doesn't disappoint. An exciting talent that's for sure.

Percy Vere
05-03-2022, 11:25 AM

Absolutely
But I’m not seeing the comparison with Boyle.
He’s got nothing like Boyles pace, he’s a different sort of player.
I reckon he’s trying hard to create things in a frontline that’s not creating.
That’s leading to errors but I think that’s fine. It’ll come good. GGTTH

RIP
05-03-2022, 11:28 AM
He’s a Zemmama type player. Creative.

18-03-2022, 04:10 PM
Article quoting Maloney about wanting to get discussions underway for a permanent deal.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fulham-player-set-for-transfer-talks-with-scottish-club/