PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee 02 03 2022)

Jonnyboy
02-03-2022, 09:47 PM
Injuries and illness hit Hibs hard and brought about two of the three changes to Shaun Maloney’s starting eleven. Although he managed to see out the game against Celtic, Matt Macey’s injury meant a starting place for Kevin Dabrowski whilst the shocking long term injury to Kevin Nisbet had Christian Doidge leading the line against Dundee. The other change saw Sylvester Jasper rested, though on the bench, and the inclusion of Ewan Henderson who had had to sit out the Celtic game. Amongst others on the bench were Elias Melkerson, recovered from illness and Runar Hauge. Chris Mueller missed out due to illness.

With rain pouring down and a blustery wind blowing the conditions were not ideal, especially on a pitch that looked to have the odd pool of water on it. Both sides were slow to start, and the first sight of goal fell to Cadden who took in a pass from Henderson but struck his shot against a defender. Next to have a go was Jordan McGhee but his poorly struck effort sailed high and wide of the target. Bushiri then set up Henderson but the strike hit Sweeney and went behind for a corner that came to nothing.

There was precious little in terms of goalmouth action for both teams and the play stuttered along, broken up only by the odd corner and a few free kicks. On the half hour, Max Anderson was booked for a high kick that caught Josh Doig. Anderson got a deserved yellow and Porteous got involved when there was no need. Ryan just can’t help himself in these situations and his antics resulted in the home fans booing him for the rest of the game …. not that Ryan would be bothered by that!

Ewan Henderson took in a pass and turned his man before setting off for goal but just as got his shot away it was deflected before a late block diverted the ball wide of goal. Henderson’s turn and run was possibly the only piece of real skill in a dire contest. A long range effort by Bushiri whistled well wide of the target and then Cadden had a header saved by Lawlor before Josh Campbell got himself booked for a rash challenge on Kerr. Right on the whistle, Drey Wright brought a ball down with his chest but his shot from 18 yards was easily gathered by Lawlor.

Shaun Maloney decided he wasn’t going to change personnel at half time and to be fair, Hibs started the half quite brightly with Josh Doig making good headway down the left but any crosses into the box were easily cleared as Christian Doidge was a lonely figure in the area. Ten minutes into the half, Charlie Adam made space for himself on the edge of the Hibs box and got a right footed shot away that whistled past Dabrowski’s left hand post. At the other end, Cadden was just wide of the target with a low shot from just inside the box.

With half an hour still to play, the job of taking three points from this game was severely hampered when Rocky Bushiri was shown a straight red card in a tussle with McGowan. The two players had been jostling for possession and as the ball moved away from the Hibs box, McGowan held Rocky’s arm which the Hibs man didn’t like and violently pulled it away, catching McGowan flush in the face with his hand. It was a moment of stupidity and a stick on red card.

As a result of the dismissal, Shaun Maloney had to make a change and when that change came, I was totally flabbergasted. Henderson, probably our best player up to that point, was replaced by Jasper. It seemed more than a little odd to me, not bringing on Jasper but the removal of Henderson when others had been far less effective up to that point. Soon after that, Dundee lost Charlie Adam to injury which was fine by me as against ten men he would have the ability to make the extra man count.

Jasper was looking lively and when Drey Wright set him up the young lad got his shot away but failed to trouble the keeper. Moments later, Niall McGinn found space at the edge of the Hibs box but fired his shot miles over the bar. Hibs were still enjoying a decent amount of possession, even with a man short and the Wright/Jasper combo again set up the latter for a shot, but he took one stepover too many and lost the angle for a shot on target. A Hibs corner saw the ball reach Josh Campbell deep in the box and his header fell to Josh Doig who just couldn’t get any power in his shot to beat the keeper.

With around fifteen minutes left, Wright and Doidge were replaced by the Norwegian pair Melkerson and Hauge. I confess my mind was transported back in time to another age when two Norwegians made their Hibs debut in the same game. The comparison ended there however as the original Norwegians helped us to a 2-0 home win with Isaak Refvik scoring both goals. Back to the present day, Hauge became the latest to receive a yellow card after he took his turn in hacking down McGowan.

With the clock running down, I actually felt that Hibs were the better side and certainly they were getting shots away but Jasper (twice) and Cadden just couldn’t find the net and the last attempt went to Jordan McGhee whose header was weak and straight at Dabrowski.

In essence, this was a poor game of football and Shaun Maloney’s biggest problem remains getting his players to find the net. Nisbet is out long term and Doidge is toiling for whatever reason and that leaves us with Melkerson and Mueller that can play up front.

The players

I’m going to preface this with the view that the first half was shocking, Henderson apart, and the second was played for the bulk of the 45 with only ten men.

Dabrowski – Kev could have taken a seat in the stand in the first half and his efforts in the second amounted to collecting poor attempts at goal and gathering the odd high ball into the box.

Bushiri – Rocky was pretty much strolling the game but let himself and his team mates down with that red card. He’s a young lad, still learning but that red card was down to plain old stupidity.

Porteous – Largely untroubled in the first half and was a rock in the middle for the second with numerous headed clearances and a few excellent interceptions. On a night when we had to defend well, Ryan ticked all the boxes and gets my man of the match award.

Stevenson – Like Ryan, his defensive work was top notch and his experience shone through when it mattered.

Cadden – Seemed to get forward enough but had either nobody in the box to aim at or a static Christian Doidge.

Doyle-Hayes – Worked hard enough but less than productive going forward.

Campbell – Marginally better than Doyle-Hayes.

Doig – I was frustrated at him in the first half as I didn’t think he got forward enough but there was a marked improvement in the second and he finished the game strongly.

Henderson – For me, Ewan was a class apart in the first half and unless he was injured I have absolutely no idea why he was hooked early in the second.

Wright – Drey worked really hard and had a few good touches and passes which I guess is the least we should expect. For all that, I thought he featured better than our two central midfielders.

Doidge – Something is surely wrong with the big fella? Perhaps the long term injury is having a lasting effect on his mobility.

Jasper – Entertaining at times I felt he held on to the ball just a little too long when a pass to a team mate may have meant retaining possession.

Melkerson – Didn’t really get much of a chance to shine but was inches away from beating Lawlor to a ball in the Dundee box.

Hauge – Was well pumped up for his debut and showed no mercy or remorse when he cleaned out Paul McGowan.

Shaun Maloney – In difficult circumstances he must have been mostly pleased with his young side tonight.

Referee – David Munro had a quiet night and got the only major decision spot on.

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 09:51 PM
Injuries and illness hit Hibs hard and brought about two of the three changes to Shaun Maloney’s starting eleven. Although he managed to see out the game against Celtic, Matt Macey’s injury meant a starting place for Kevin Dabrowski whilst the shocking long term injury to Kevin Nisbet had Christian Doidge leading the line against Dundee. The other change saw Sylvester Jasper rested, though on the bench, and the inclusion of Ewan Henderson who had had to sit out the Celtic game. Amongst others on the bench were Elias Melkerson, recovered from illness and Runar Hauge. Chris Mueller missed out due to illness.

With rain pouring down and a blustery wind blowing the conditions were not ideal, especially on a pitch that looked to have the odd pool of water on it. Both sides were slow to start, and the first sight of goal fell to Cadden who took in a pass from Henderson but struck his shot against a defender. Next to have a go was Jordan McGhee but his poorly struck effort sailed high and wide of the target. Bushiri then set up Henderson but the strike hit Sweeney and went behind for a corner that came to nothing.

There was precious little in terms of goalmouth action for both teams and the play stuttered along, broken up only by the odd corner and a few free kicks. On the half hour, Max Anderson was booked for a high kick that caught Josh Doig. Anderson got a deserved yellow and Porteous got involved when there was no need. Ryan just can’t help himself in these situations and his antics resulted in the home fans booing him for the rest of the game …. not that Ryan would be bothered by that!

Ewan Henderson took in a pass and turned his man before setting off for goal but just as got his shot away it was deflected before a late block diverted the ball wide of goal. Henderson’s turn and run was possibly the only piece of real skill in a dire contest. A long range effort by Bushiri whistled well wide of the target and then Cadden had a header saved by Lawlor before Josh Campbell got himself booked for a rash challenge on Kerr. Right on the whistle, Drey Wright brought a ball down with his chest but his shot from 18 yards was easily gathered by Lawlor.

Shaun Maloney decided he wasn’t going to change personnel at half time and to be fair, Hibs started the half quite brightly with Josh Doig making good headway down the left but any crosses into the box were easily cleared as Christian Doidge was a lonely figure in the area. Ten minutes into the half, Charlie Adam made space for himself on the edge of the Hibs box and got a right footed shot away that whistled past Dabrowski’s left hand post. At the other end, Cadden was just wide of the target with a low shot from just inside the box.

With half an hour still to play, the job of taking three points from this game was severely hampered when Rocky Bushiri was shown a straight red card in a tussle with McGowan. The two players had been jostling for possession and as the ball moved away from the Hibs box, McGowan held Rocky’s arm which the Hibs man didn’t like and violently pulled it away, catching McGowan flush in the face with his hand. It was a moment of stupidity and a stick on red card.

As a result of the dismissal, Shaun Maloney had to make a change and when that change came, I was totally flabbergasted. Henderson, probably our best player up to that point, was replaced by Jasper. It seemed more than a little odd to me, not bringing on Jasper but the removal of Henderson when others had been far less effective up to that point. Soon after that, Dundee lost Charlie Adam to injury which was fine by me as against ten men he would have the ability to make the extra man count.

Jasper was looking lively and when Drey Wright set him up the young lad got his shot away but failed to trouble the keeper. Moments later, Niall McGinn found space at the edge of the Hibs box but fired his shot miles over the bar. Hibs were still enjoying a decent amount of possession, even with a man short and the Wright/Jasper combo again set up the latter for a shot, but he took one stepover too many and lost the angle for a shot on target. A Hibs corner saw the ball reach Josh Campbell deep in the box and his header fell to Josh Doig who just couldn’t get any power in his shot to beat the keeper.

With around fifteen minutes left, Wright and Doidge were replaced by the Norwegian pair Melkerson and Hauge. I confess my mind was transported back in time to another age when two Norwegians made their Hibs debut in the same game. The comparison ended there however as the original Norwegians helped us to a 2-0 home win with Isaak Refvik scoring both goals. Back to the present day, Hauge became the latest to receive a yellow card after he took his turn in hacking down McGowan.

With the clock running down, I actually felt that Hibs were the better side and certainly they were getting shots away but Jasper (twice) and Cadden just couldn’t find the net and the last attempt went to Jordan McGhee whose header was weak and straight at Dabrowski.

In essence, this was a poor game of football and Shaun Maloney’s biggest problem remains getting his players to find the net. Nisbet is out long term and Doidge is toiling for whatever reason and that leaves us with Melkerson and Mueller that can play up front.

The players

I’m going to preface this with the view that the first half was shocking, Henderson apart, and the second was played for the bulk of the 45 with only ten men.

Dabrowski – Kev could have taken a seat in the stand in the first half and his efforts in the second amounted to collecting poor attempts at goal and gathering the odd high ball into the box.

Bushiri – Rocky was pretty much strolling the game but let himself and his team mates down with that red card. He’s a young lad, still learning but that red card was down to plain old stupidity.

Porteous – Largely untroubled in the first half and was a rock in the middle for the second with numerous headed clearances and a few excellent interceptions. On a night when we had to defend well, Ryan ticked all the boxes and gets my man of the match award.

Stevenson – Like Ryan, his defensive work was top notch and his experience shone through when it mattered.

Cadden – Seemed to get forward enough but had either nobody in the box to aim at or a static Christian Doidge.

Doig – I was frustrated at him in the first half as I didn’t think he got forward enough but there was a marked improvement in the second and he finished the game strongly.

Henderson – For me, Ewan was a class apart in the first half and unless he was injured I have absolutely no idea why he was hooked early in the second.

Wright – Drey worked really hard and had a few good touches and passes which I guess is the least we should expect. For all that, I thought he featured better than our two central midfielders.

Doidge – Something is surely wrong with the big fella? Perhaps the long term injury is having a lasting effect on his mobility.

Jasper – Entertaining at times I felt he held on to the ball just a little too long when a pass to a team mate may have meant retaining possession.

Melkerson – Didn’t really get much of a chance to shine but was inches away from beating Lawlor to a ball in the Dundee box.

Hauge – Was well pumped up for his debut and showed no mercy or remorse when he cleaned out Paul McGowan.

Shaun Maloney – In difficult circumstances he must have been mostly pleased with his young side tonight.

Referee – David Munro had a quiet night and got the only major decision spot on.

Surely the Max Anderson yellow card first half is a major decision? Clear red card for me. Both feet off the ground and kicked Doig in the head.

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 09:51 PM
Stevenson was good defensively but I think tonight his distribution was pretty poor and struggled to find his man.

Henderson was the best player on the pitch first half and think he was unlucky that we changed shape with the red.

Doidge showed flashes of good hold up play but had a lack of service.

Doig and Cadden need to produce better quality in the final third.

Jasper is a really exciting player but needs to learn when to release the ball.

Happy to see the two Norwegian lads get game time.

Couldn’t disagree more about the red. McGowan is holding Rockys arms and he just pulls it away from him.

Jonnyboy
02-03-2022, 09:58 PM
Surely the Max Anderson yellow card first half is a major decision? Clear red card for me. Both feet off the ground and kicked Doig in the head.

I need to see it again as I’m pretty sure Anderson had one foot on the deck and twisted the other to head height?

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 10:01 PM
I need to see it again as I’m pretty sure Anderson had one foot on the deck and twisted the other to head height?

Need to see it again too, as in my mind both feet are just off the deck. We'll soon see on Sportscene I guess!

Either way it's still a read for me as it's dangerous play. Not as if Doig is lunging down to head the ball.

Appreciate the effort and write up again, always my go to thread after a game.

BoyledEgg
02-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Doig getting studded down his back was a major decision 5 yards away from the linesman that was ignored by him.

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 10:07 PM
Doig getting studded down his back was a major decision 5 yards away from the linesman that was ignored by him.

That was Porto, no?

Eyrie
02-03-2022, 10:10 PM

That was Porteous, not Doig.

Another shocker was the referee not booking the Dundee player who tried and failed to hack Jasper down when he was breaking.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2022, 10:11 PM
Thanks JB, a great read as ever. Don't disagree with you often, but do tonight.

The ref was very poor. That was powder puff stuff for the Bashiri red card and I would expect it to be appealed and rescinded. He was heavily influenced by the crowd and made several wrong decisions.

Apart from Henderson and Jasper when he came on, our midfield offered no attacking threat. JDH is an out and out defensive midfielder and I think he is effective at what he does. Wright and Campbell, who were decent last Saturday, showed lots of effort as you would expect, but both were poor tonight.

Maloney - I like him and he needs to be given some slack due to injuries and past recruitment failures, but he needs to rethink his team selection and use of subs. We are completely impotent and leaving Jasper on the bench was nonsense as was taking Henderson off, as you rightly pointed out.

Hiber-nation
02-03-2022, 10:30 PM
Thought JDH was out best midfielder by a mile. Campbell really disappointing after such a good show on Sunday and Wright too. Cadden disappointing as well, some poor use of the ball in the 1st half.

Agree about Doidge, hopefully the time on the park will help his fitness but I have my doubts

We will all need to be patient. Top 6 will be a good achievement all things considered.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2022, 10:34 PM
Thought JDH was out best midfielder by a mile. Campbell really disappointing after such a good show on Sunday and Wright too. Cadden disappointing as well, some poor use of the ball in the 1st half.

Agree about Doidge, hopefully the time on the park will help his fitness but I have my doubts

We will all need to be patient. Top 6 will be a good achievement all things considered.

Agree on Campbell and Wright. Game like Sunday, where it was more about effort and what they did without the ball suited them. Game like tonight, where they need to dictate the game and create, different story.

Also agree, Cadden really wasteful.

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 10:52 PM

Yup, two feet off the deck. Red all day long.

Jonnyboy
02-03-2022, 10:56 PM
Yup, two feet off the deck. Red all day long.

Still haven’t seen it but not doubting you in any way and agree that such a challenge is red card material

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 11:00 PM
Still haven’t seen it but not doubting you in any way and agree that such a challenge is red card material

Somewhat unsurprisingly they didn't discuss it post match on Sportscene.

Helensburghhibs
02-03-2022, 11:00 PM
I'm surprised that you thought the first half was shocking, I thought we played some really good football I'm the first half

B.H.F.C
02-03-2022, 11:05 PM
I'm surprised that you thought the first half was shocking, I thought we played some really good football I'm the first half

In the first two thirds of the pitch we did. In the final third it was dire though. Complete lack of quality and next to no threat.

I don’t really think it’s a tactical thing or anything like that, the attacking players just aren’t offering anything.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2022, 11:06 PM
Agree on Campbell and Wright. Game like Sunday, where it was more about effort and what they did without the ball suited them. Game like tonight, where they need to dictate the game and create, different story.

Nail on the head. Wright and Campbell are at their best when we are under the cosh and under pressure, but don't create anything when we have more possession/against inferior opposition. JDH is a very good player for us and undervalued.

GreenGray
02-03-2022, 11:08 PM
You’ve been kind to the ref there, he was shocking.

Thought jasper was far far too greedy, few times we had men in loads of space and he chose not to pass.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2022, 11:31 PM

Agreed. I think if we win on Saturday, we will finish in the top 6. 4th still achievable if we can get a more offensive line up.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2022, 02:17 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

The fact Scottie Allan and Darren McGregor didn’t get on last night makes me think their days are numbered but we are down to the bone squad wise so never say never

GGTTH

greenlex
03-03-2022, 05:46 AM
I too think Doidge isn’t the player he was. I did get ridiculed over it mind. Whatever he had has gone since the injury. A real shame.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 05:49 AM
Somewhat unsurprisingly they didn't discuss it post match on Sportscene.

What a shambles of a programme that is.

hibee1875
03-03-2022, 05:51 AM

You’re spot on about Campbell. That’s how he also stood out against rangers. He’s good for a battle but against the lesser teams where he has more of the ball and has to do something with it he’s not great.

hfc-1875
03-03-2022, 05:52 AM
Same old story as it has been for weeks, look solid at the back, some flashes of decent enough football but could still be playing now without scoring. Hopefully we see melkerson get more game time, although he never done a huge amount when he came on he looked lively and like he’s got a bit of pace about him. Jasper looked our only real threat but as people said previous he wanted to come on and be the hero and do it all alone.

hibee1875
03-03-2022, 05:52 AM
Thanks Jonnyboy

The fact Scottie Allan and Darren McGregor didn’t get on last night makes me think their days are numbered but we are down to the bone squad wise so never say never

GGTTH

I was pleased we didn’t bring McGregor on. It gave me a little bit of hope that our intention was to keep pushing for a win

Aldo
03-03-2022, 06:03 AM
Thanks JB.

I would disagree with Campbell though. I thought Campbell was woeful last night and played some terrible passes on our own 18 yard box putting us under pressure!

Great to see Melkerson and Hauge (superb tackle on McGowan) finally make their debuts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2022, 07:09 AM
I was pleased we didn’t bring McGregor on. It gave me a little bit of hope that our intention was to keep pushing for a win
Would not be surprised if he starts Saturday if PH is still unavailable

andrew70
03-03-2022, 07:16 AM
Would not be surprised if he starts Saturday if PH is still unavailable

Think he’ll stick Delferriere in. He’s more of a ball playing centre half by all accounts.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 07:27 AM
One thing about the two Norwegians, they don’t look like they lack confidence. Plenty energy and that’s something we really lack.

Paul1642
03-03-2022, 07:31 AM
The only real positive I can take away from last night is that Aberdeen, Motherwell and United all lost. Only a good thing if we start to pick up some wins though.

Johnny_Leith
03-03-2022, 07:56 AM
Doidge has been terrible since his injury. Keeps up these performance levels and he won't be here next season.

Campbell needs to be so much better on the ball. JDH neat and tidy, a v good player and would benefit from a more forward thinking role.

Jasper, potential but terrible decision making last night, you don't always need to take on the man.

Defense was solid, no issues there apart from distribution was poor at times.

Surprised we didn't try and sit in and hit on the break when we had the full compliment, Dundee desperate for the points and showed they were willing to commit men forward, but trying to control the game we gave ourselves no room to play into and we know we struggle against a low block formation. If we could have drawn Dundee out we'd have got some success.

Again, create few chances from open play but at least hauge, Kasper and melkerson all showed energy when they came on which we've been missing recently.

Another 0-0 guaranteed on Saturday.

Greenbeard
03-03-2022, 08:27 AM
Agree Porto MOM - by a mile. Strolled it apart from one stray pass near the end.
Also agree it had to be a red for Rocky even if it was just a glancing blow on the beak in the process of freeing his arm. Definitely worth an appeal against any further punishment but knowing the SFA they will find a way to delay the appeal hearing until after the weekend.
In fact I'd go further than an appeal. I'd submit a proposal for a law change making it permissible to deliver a backhand to the beak of any player who is holding you.

BILLYHIBS
03-03-2022, 08:28 AM
Think he’ll stick Delferriere in. He’s more of a ball playing centre half by all accounts.

:agree:

Gonna need every man as we are down to the bare bones

hibbyfraelibby
03-03-2022, 08:37 AM
It is pretty obvious this "illness" thing circulating in the squad is Covid and it looks likely that in some cases Long Covid is having an impact on those who have recovered. I suspect that may be the issue with Doidge and one or two others who currently cant last 70 minutes never mind a full game with their usual intensity so lets cut these guys some slack who are only playing because of the physical injuries keeping others out.

500miles
03-03-2022, 08:37 AM
Agree Porto MOM - by a mile. Strolled it apart from one stray pass near the end.
Also agree it had to be a red for Rocky even if it was just a glancing blow on the beak in the process of freeing his arm. Definitely worth an appeal against any further punishment but knowing the SFA they will find a way to delay the appeal hearing until after the weekend.
In fact I'd go further than an appeal. I'd submit a proposal for a law change making it permissible to deliver a backhand to the beak of any player who is holding you.

I've posted the laws of the game. It needs to be deliberate, brutal or have excessive force to be violent conduct. There was none of that, so it's not a red card. I'd argue that it's simulation by McGowan, which comes with a retrospective ban.

brog
03-03-2022, 08:57 AM
I've posted the laws of the game. It needs to be deliberate, brutal or have excessive force to be violent conduct. There was none of that, so it's not a red card. I'd argue that it's simulation by McGowan, which comes with a retrospective ban.

I agree with you, but by the Laws of the Game Porto's red at Ibrox was no more than a yellow. Our wonderful pundits use cliched phrases such as 'out of control' or 'if you raise your hand you have to go' to support refereeing decisions. Neither of these phrases exist in the law. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Danderhall Hibs
03-03-2022, 09:15 AM
I agree with you, but by the Laws of the Game Porto's red at Ibrox was no more than a yellow. Our wonderful pundits use cliched phrases such as 'out of control' or 'if you raise your hand you have to go' to support refereeing decisions. Neither of these phrases exist in the law. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think they also used "reckless" to describe that tackle and justify the red, whereas in law reckless is classed as a yellow.

HibsGW
03-03-2022, 09:30 AM
I too think Doidge isn’t the player he was. I did get ridiculed over it mind. Whatever he had has gone since the injury. A real shame.

Yep I always liked him and can’t fault his effort but he’s been very poor whenever he’s played this season, looks like he’s lost it and doesn’t seem to ever look in with a chance of scoring.

Helensburghhibs
03-03-2022, 09:41 AM
Doidge has been terrible since his injury. Keeps up these performance levels and he won't be here next season.

Campbell needs to be so much better on the ball. JDH neat and tidy, a v good player and would benefit from a more forward thinking role.

Jasper, potential but terrible decision making last night, you don't always need to take on the man.

Defense was solid, no issues there apart from distribution was poor at times.

Surprised we didn't try and sit in and hit on the break when we had the full compliment, Dundee desperate for the points and showed they were willing to commit men forward, but trying to control the game we gave ourselves no room to play into and we know we struggle against a low block formation. If we could have drawn Dundee out we'd have got some success.

Again, create few chances from open play but at least hauge, Kasper and melkerson all showed energy when they came on which we've been missing recently.

Another 0-0 guaranteed on Saturday.

Don't agree Dundee wanted to win. We went down to 10 and they brought on 2 defenders ,, I thought they looked like they were happy with the clean sheet and draw

brog
03-03-2022, 10:24 AM
I think they also used "reckless" to describe that tackle and justify the red, whereas in law reckless is classed as a yellow.

Spot on. Ironically I just watched Sportscene and Shelley Kerr came out with, 'if you raise your hand', pathetic. Actually on Saturday, Power of St M (understandably 😁) grabbed Devlin of Hearts by the throat, a la Dave Mackay/Bremner. Power received a yellow.

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 10:29 AM
Spot on. Ironically I just watched Sportscene and Shelley Kerr came out with, 'if you raise your hand', pathetic. Actually on Saturday, Power of St M (understandably 😁) grabbed Devlin of Hearts by the throat, a la Dave Mackay/Bremner. Power received a yellow.

Yep I saw the Power incident was quite funny

mokie
03-03-2022, 11:43 AM

The players

He is 22 years old. In footballing terms , he is hardly young.........

Billy Whizz
03-03-2022, 12:04 PM
He is 22 years old. In footballing terms , he is hardly young.........

He’s young in game experience though
Josh Doig at 19 has played more games than Rocky

mokie
03-03-2022, 12:21 PM
He’s young in game experience though
Josh Doig at 19 has played more games than Rocky

He's played around 50 games and represented Belguim at 2 different age groups.. He is hardly lacking experience..........

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 12:32 PM

But he also looks like the player he was during his first few months at Hibs until he got a goal. A goal will sort him out I think.

brog
03-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Yep I saw the Power incident was quite funny

The look on Devlin's face was priceless! Thought he was going to burst into tears!

greenlex
03-03-2022, 01:53 PM
But he also looks like the player he was during his first few months at Hibs until he got a goal. A goal will sort him out I think.
Fingers crossed. He was never blessed with pace but he consistently looks a yard off where he was. Maybe even more game time will sharpen that.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 01:55 PM
Fingers crossed. He was never blessed with pace but he consistently looks a yard off where he was. Maybe even more game time will sharpen that.

Hope so mate:aok: His form around spring time last year was tremendous.

Highwayman
03-03-2022, 03:59 PM
Didn’t see any of the game last night,and may have missed it in
previous posts.

But how did Maloney re-structure the defence when Bushiri got sent off.

Note he didn’t consider it necessary to bring McGregor on.

If Bushiris red card remains would Maloney consider giving Delferriere a start on Saturday. Tesco

PeeJay
03-03-2022, 04:20 PM
Good report as ever - awful game and performance ...

brog
03-03-2022, 04:28 PM
Didn’t see any of the game last night,and may have missed it in
previous posts.

But how did Maloney re-structure the defence when Bushiri got sent off.

Note he didn’t consider it necessary to bring McGregor on.

If Bushiris red card remains would Maloney consider giving Delferriere a start on Saturday. Tesco

I meant to ask same thing. I guess Campbell moved back?

JimBHibees
03-03-2022, 04:38 PM
I meant to ask same thing. I guess Campbell moved back?

Think we went to a back 4. Cadden dropping back to full back Porto Lewis and Josh. Thought we looked good with ten and controlled the game

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 04:46 PM
Think we went to a back 4. Cadden dropping back to full back Porto Lewis and Josh. Thought we looked good with ten and controlled the game

That was definitely the back four when we went to ten. Felt we could/should have changed to a back four before the sending off. Three centre halves was a waste when they were hardly up the park.

jacomo
03-03-2022, 04:54 PM
In the first two thirds of the pitch we did. In the final third it was dire though. Complete lack of quality and next to no threat.

I don’t really think it’s a tactical thing or anything like that, the attacking players just aren’t offering anything.

For me our attacking players rarely find space and always seem to have an opponent on top of them as soon as they receive the ball.

Whether that’s tactics, form, or insufficient support from midfield I don’t know - probably a combo of all of that.

I think these team shape relies on sharp passing, isolating opponents and taking them on, and it’s not clicking yet.

Seveno
03-03-2022, 05:07 PM
Bushiri had his arm held by the Dundee player and ripped it away. His hand happened to catch the face of the Dundee player. Hardly worth a yellow, never mind a red.

Highwayman
03-03-2022, 05:55 PM
Bushiri had his arm held by the Dundee player and ripped it away. His hand happened to catch the face of the Dundee player. Hardly worth a yellow, never mind a red.
Haven’t seen the Bushiri incident,so have to take your word on it.

If it is as you describe Hibs should be lodging an appeal without delay.

Remember last season when young Hamilton of Hamilton got his red card rescinded on appeal after trying to administer GBH on Martin Boyle.

On that basis Hibs should go for it.

Hermit Crab
03-03-2022, 10:28 PM

What time did the football start like? :confused:

oneone73
04-03-2022, 06:00 AM

Didn't realise Bushiri was also suspended for the Motherwell cup tie. That's a blow.

JimBHibees
04-03-2022, 06:06 AM
Didn't realise Bushiri was also suspended for the Motherwell cup tie. That's a blow.

Are you sure that is the case I think he would miss the next two league games. I think if Motherwell was our next game in the cup he would miss that not sure given our next game is in the league that he would automatically miss Motherwell.

oneone73
04-03-2022, 06:30 AM
Are you sure that is the case I think he would miss the next two league games. I think if Motherwell was our next game in the cup he would miss that not sure given our next game is in the league that he would automatically miss Motherwell.

EEN reported it as such.

JimBHibees
04-03-2022, 07:09 AM
EEN reported it as such.

Ok that is disappointing

Sir David Gray
04-03-2022, 07:13 AM
Ok that is disappointing

It was a violent conduct sending off which carries an automatic 2 match suspension in the club's next 2 immediate fixtures regardless of the competition.

JimBHibees
04-03-2022, 07:14 AM
It was a violent conduct sending off which carries an automatic 2 match suspension in the club's next 2 immediate fixtures regardless of the competition.

Cheers assumed it was just the next game not the next two.

Greenbeard
04-03-2022, 08:13 AM
Violent conduct my erchie. I've picked my own nose more violently than that.
Any word on an appeal? How long do Hibs have?

Danderhall Hibs
04-03-2022, 08:20 AM

We're not appealing and it seems only some Hibs fans think it shouldn't have been a red.

marinello59
04-03-2022, 08:23 AM
We're not appealing and it seems only some Hibs fans think it shouldn't have been a red.

It would be a waste of an appeal. It was a red. Silly by Rocky but lesson learned hopefully.

Danderhall Hibs
04-03-2022, 08:24 AM
It would be a waste of an appeal. It was a red. Silly by Rocky but lesson learned hopefully.

Agreed - although he barely touched him you can see how/why they'd use the intent as the reason to reject an appeal.

Sir David Gray
04-03-2022, 09:22 AM

That doesn't change the fact that he was sent off for violent conduct unfortunately.

I believe Ben Kensell said last night that we wouldn't be appealing and I think that's the correct decision. It was a silly reaction and the red card would have no chance of being overturned.