PDA

View Full Version : “We Have To Fight Then We Can Play.”

Dashing Bob S
02-03-2022, 11:00 AM
I’m starting to think Sean M has this Scottish football v decent football thing figured out.

Getting a wee bitty excited about Hibs again.

Northernhibee
02-03-2022, 11:02 AM
I was very, very concerned for a while that Maloney didn't understand at all what it means to compete in a Scottish team outside the two cheeks. It's a relief to hear that and see signs on the pitch that he's learning.

Lots of coaches have come to Scotland with the plan to implement an attractive, free flowing passing style of football and dismally failed. I think he'll need to reappraise in time what we can and can't do but there have been good signs recently.

hibbydog
02-03-2022, 11:10 AM
I was very, very concerned for a while that Maloney didn't understand at all what it means to compete in a Scottish team outside the two cheeks. It's a relief to hear that and see signs on the pitch that he's learning.

Lots of coaches have come to Scotland with the plan to implement an attractive, free flowing passing style of football and dismally failed. I think he'll need to reappraise in time what we can and can't do but there have been good signs recently.

That was my concern. Coaching world class players like De Bruyne and the Hazards to play possession based football is one thing, trying it at Hibs is another. It all sounds very niave and idealistic. Almost Ian Cathro like.

Scottish football is a war of attrition. 22 men with hangovers kicking lumps out of each other in the p!5sing rain. Perhaps the occasional outbreak of skill. Generally more yellow cards than shots on target.

But yes, I'm glad to hear him say what he said.

Roxyhibee
02-03-2022, 11:49 AM
That was my concern. Coaching world class players like De Bruyne and the Hazards to play possession based football is one thing, trying it at Hibs is another. It all sounds very niave and idealistic. Almost Ian Cathro like.

Scottish football is a war of attrition. 22 men with hangovers kicking lumps out of each other in the p!5sing rain. Perhaps the occasional outbreak of skill. Generally more yellow cards than shots on target.

But yes, I'm glad to hear him say what he said.

That second last ‘hangovers’ whole paragraph has actually got me chuckling out loud. That’s excellent.

Diclonius
02-03-2022, 12:12 PM
Sunday was evidence that Maloney has learned to be pragmatic.

Hibbyradge
02-03-2022, 12:40 PM
With the personnel we have available, I think tonight will be at least 99% fight.

erin go bragh
02-03-2022, 12:44 PM
Our record against Dundee is impressive. Not lost in 10 years and only 1 defeat in the last 19 years .
3-0 win tonight imo

flash
02-03-2022, 01:01 PM
Our record against Dundee is impressive. Not lost in 10 years and only 1 defeat in the last 19 years .
3-0 win tonight imo

Not sure we would manage that with a full squad.

Is It On....
02-03-2022, 01:20 PM

We were definitely more solid but we barely created any chances. It's all the more strange that we are actually 4th after the terrible run of form but the league is incredibly tight and we could just as easily be 10th 😬.

Fingers crossed to be in the top 6 at the split to give ourselves a chance of European football 🙂

B.H.F.C
02-03-2022, 01:33 PM

I’m not really sure we did much different on Sunday. We’ve generally been pretty solid since he came in except the Livi game which was a bit of a freak.

Thought we were still looking to play on Sunday, just lacked the quality to execute it when we got in to their half.

majorhibs
02-03-2022, 02:36 PM
I’m starting to think Sean M has this Scottish football v decent football thing figured out.

Likewise, this trying something different, this approach, could lead naewhere, but there is something there that has me imagining scenarios where with the continuing right steps then the accepted usual ending we’ve had to seasons for the last 30 odd are ripped up. Fair play for the different approach & not just accepting the usual outcomes, we’ll not get near their finances or Glesgae hampden/media supporters influences but approaching it different to try challenge, fair play!

Bostonhibby
02-03-2022, 02:38 PM

But yes, I'm glad to hear him say what he said.[emoji23][emoji106]
Square go on Bothwell Street bridge is surely the only way to decide the 3 points.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 02:41 PM
I’m not really sure we did much different on Sunday. We’ve generally been pretty solid since he came in except the Livi game which was a bit of a freak.

Thought we were still looking to play on Sunday, just lacked the quality to execute it when we got in to their half.

Agree with this, a couple of lapses in concentration against Livi but I think we’ve been solid and don’t give up many chances since Maloney has came in.

Also think Caldwell deserves a lot of credit for that.

Now just to put it final third together and get creating and scoring more.

Stubbsy90+2
02-03-2022, 02:43 PM
Agree with this, a couple of lapses in concentration against Livi but I think we’ve been solid and don’t give up many chances since Maloney has came in.

Also think Caldwell deserves a lot of credit for that.

Now just to put it final third together and get creating and scoring more.

Agree.

Were much more solid now imo. Lacking badly in the final third but the loss of Boyle has played a massive part in that. If we still had him I actually think we’d have had a real chance of 3rd.

Mcbizz1998
02-03-2022, 02:45 PM
Hope you are right.

If we could nick 4th spot and maybe another Hampden trip this year then I think that would be a big achievement given where we were.

Would give Maloney a great footing for next year after a full pre-season and we can really judge him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Northernhibee
02-03-2022, 02:52 PM
A colleague of mine had some football talk radio on recently and they were lamenting how brilliant a recent Premiership game was to watch, referee let some big challenges go and it was end to end stuff.

Left thinking "that's basically what you get from Scottish football" by the end of their conversation. It might not be the most skillful league in the world but Scottish football is what I want to watch.

lord bunberry
02-03-2022, 03:05 PM
There’s definitely signs of better things to come, I thought we were quite slick the way we passed the ball out from the back against Celtic. Obviously we didn’t create much but we were playing against a good team, we need to show the same determination in games like tonight. It’s all building towards next season, but we need to try and secure 4th or 5th so that we get into Europe, wee cup win would be nice as well. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hibbydog
02-03-2022, 07:35 PM
[emoji23][emoji106]
Square go on Bothwell Street bridge is surely the only way to decide the 3 points.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

As a wise man once said ‘just take the ball off the park and fight the c@&ts’ !!!

greenlex
02-03-2022, 07:44 PM
Hope you are right.

If we could nick 4th spot and maybe another Hampden trip this year then I think that would be a big achievement given where we were.

Would give Maloney a great footing for next year after a full pre-season and we can really judge him.

Where were we exactly pre Maloney? IIRC. Two games in hand off 4th and a cup final waiting after pumping the Huns.
nothings really changed other than signing another team full of players( many of then injured to be fair) and a change of coaching staff. Will it really be a big achievement from where we were?
We are where we are but it’s all so unnecessary. Any change could and should have been done in the Summer if required.

Keith_M
02-03-2022, 08:35 PM
All this positivity earlier is looking pretty stupid now.

FFS, this team actually scores less than I do,

Ozyhibby
02-03-2022, 08:38 PM
All this positivity earlier is looking pretty stupid now.

FFS, this team actually scores less than I do,

Hibs under Maloney are pretty horrible to watch and can’t buy a goal. It’s pretty depressing.

LunasBoots
02-03-2022, 08:41 PM
End of the season can't come quick enough is where I'm at.

LaMotta
02-03-2022, 08:43 PM
Hibs under Maloney are pretty horrible to watch and can’t buy a goal. It’s pretty depressing.

:agree: Dundee are awful and we never laid a glove on them.

Heisenberg
02-03-2022, 08:43 PM
Plenty fight but absolutely **** all quality. We are pish.

flash
02-03-2022, 08:44 PM
It's almost as if we are missing 10 players.

Northernhibee
02-03-2022, 08:47 PM

Some of them are long term missing and the team we have on the pitch should be offering better than that we're getting. That excuse does carry some weight, but not as much as you're wanting it to.

flash
02-03-2022, 08:49 PM
Some of them are long term missing and the team we have on the pitch should be offering better than that we're getting. That excuse does carry some weight, but not as much as you're wanting it to.

In your opinion. I disagree.

Northernhibee
02-03-2022, 08:51 PM
In your opinion. I disagree.

Well, yes, it's an internet messageboard. People generally do post their opinions on those.

Ozyhibby

We were dull and couldn’t buy a goal before the injuries.[emoji849]

Nicho87
Lack of forward thinking players costing maloney. Defensively I think we’re pretty sound. If he had Scott Allan in the form of Lennon second year we’d be strong going forward

Midfield is weak and powderpuff up front

flash
02-03-2022, 08:53 PM
Well, yes, it's an internet messageboard. People generally do post their opinions on those.

No need to be an erse about it.

1875Sean
02-03-2022, 09:07 PM
This is not the attacking football we were promised under maloney! So negative, I know we have a lot of players out but the set up is far to negative

DJ HIBBY
02-03-2022, 09:08 PM
This is not the attacking football we were promised under maloney! So negative, I know we have a lot of players out but the set up is far to negative

Looks no different to Jack Ross even worse as we can’t score

loanheadhibby
02-03-2022, 09:09 PM

Even after tonight?

H18 SFR
02-03-2022, 09:12 PM

THe big difference with JR was we had a game plan which was clear and more often than not achievable.

The Harp Awakes
02-03-2022, 09:15 PM

Ineffective first team recruitment to attackig positions (again) in January, and also injuries, have meant the most likely scoreline is Hibernian 0.

Playing Wright in front of Jasper tonight just made us even more impotent. I thought the reason Jasper wasn't playing must have been a niggle, but he looked full of energy when he came on tonight. Really don't understand the team selection.

1875Sean

Over the whole of jack ross term it’s doesn’t even compare, ross has far more adventurous

Dmas

‘I know we have a lot of players out and have to put square pegs in round holes but I still expect 1970s Brazil’

1875Sean
02-03-2022, 09:17 PM
Ineffective first team recruitment to attackig positions (again) in January, and also injuries, have meant the most likely scoreline is Hibernian 0.

Playing Wright in front of Jasper tonight just made us even more impotent. I thought the reason Jasper wasn't playing must have been a niggle, but he looked full of energy when he came on tonight. Really don't understand the team selection.

It’s the whole set up of the team, 3 centre backs, 2 defensive midfields and Cadden and Doig at fullbacks who are not big attaching threats, no wonder we hardly create any chances

A Hi-Bee
02-03-2022, 09:18 PM
THe big difference with JR was we had a game plan which was clear and more often than not achievable.

What, with 10 first team players out wi injury, talking pische.

H18 SFR
02-03-2022, 09:19 PM
What, with 10 first team players out wi injury, talking pische.

What’s tonight got to do with JR?

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 09:22 PM
I think Maloney wants to be attacking, the players he has available right now just aren’t good enough unfortunately.

Look at the squad tonight.

I’m a big fan of Cadden and Doig and they dominate their sides most games, but going forward they lack real composure and quality imo. It’s often a powering run with an overhit cross or cross to one one in particular. In their defence I don’t think we get enough players in the box for crosses.

Wright just has no no confidence, you seen it first half when he ran through and instead of shooting or slipping it through to Henderson he went back/side to Cadden.

Henderson was our best player and sacrificed because of the red.

JDH and Campbell rarely create.

Doidge is a striker that needs really good service, he’s never going to create or do something out of nothing.

Its no wonder we struggled to create imo.

A Hi-Bee
02-03-2022, 09:25 PM
What’s tonight got to do with JR?

Nothing you were the one quoting him, I just said he never had to contend with 10 players being out injured.
:greengrin

Willis1875
02-03-2022, 09:26 PM
I think Maloney wants to be attacking, the players he has available right now just aren’t good enough unfortunately.

Look at the squad tonight.

I’m a big fan of Cadden and Doig and they dominate their sides most games, but going forward they lack real composure and quality imo. It’s often a powering run with an overhit cross or cross to one one in particular. In their defence I don’t think we get enough players in the box for crosses.

Wright just has no no confidence, you seen it first half when he ran through and instead of shooting or slipping it through to Henderson he went back/side to Cadden.

Henderson was our best player and sacrificed because of the red.

JDH and Campbell rarely create.

Doidge is a striker that needs really good service, he’s never going to create or do something out of nothing.

Its no wonder we struggled to create imo.

Agree
In this system the wing backs need to be better at the attacking side of the game to that of the defensive.
Doig and Cadden run the line well and have a lot of energy but really lack in the final third.
That really just leaves 3 attacking minded players to make something happen,it’s dire.
Granted there are a lot of players out but I’m not really sure which of those injured players are likely to come back and make us a better attacking unit

H18 SFR
02-03-2022, 09:26 PM
Nothing you were the one quoting him, I just said he never had to contend with 10 players being out injured.

You can still have an distinctly achievable gameplan with injuries.

You don’t have to rigidly stick to plan A when it’s not allowed you to score 6/8 games.

Stonewall
02-03-2022, 09:28 PM

Yawn.

CMac1988
02-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Despite everything the only difference between JR and Maloney is Martin Boyle. :greengrin

1875Sean
02-03-2022, 09:29 PM
Yawn.

Sums up Hibs under Maloney

H18 SFR
02-03-2022, 09:30 PM
Sums up Hibs under Maloney

Sadly it really does. Let’s hope this time next year we are entertaining again.

A Hi-Bee
02-03-2022, 09:32 PM
You can still have an distinctly achievable gameplan with injuries.

You don’t have to rigidly stick to plan A when it’s not allowed you to score 6/8 games.

I think he did have a game plan, the fact he had to change it when Rocky got sent off suggests this, also the reason Hendo was taken off. All part of a game plan that had to keep changing as the game progressed. Your own gameplan would have us scoring much more in the past 6/8 games?

H18 SFR
02-03-2022, 09:36 PM
I think he did have a game plan, the fact he had to change it when Rocky got sent off suggests this, also the reason Hendo was taken off. All part of a game plan that had to keep changing as the game progressed. Your own gameplan would have us scoring much more in the past 6/8 games?

Of course he had a gameplan. He 100% has had a game plan!

I am suggesting that it might be unachievable to implement his chosen style and gameplan with the personnel available. He is too rigidly aligned with a style we can’t successfully implement.

loanheadhibby
02-03-2022, 09:45 PM
Sadly it really does. Let’s hope this time next year we are entertaining again.

I can see that SM has made us better defensively but I just cannot fathom out what his plans are for us going forward? Possibly keeping the ball in our half to bore opposition into submission?

I heard a snippet from M Stewart at weekend making this point.

What is SM philosophy in an attacking sense?

Stuart93
02-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Anyone seen his interview? Getting towards the realms of not being able to listen to him already.

He’s really really happy with the players & it could be a very good point.

Utterly despair. What a ****ing **** show this seasons become.

JohnM1875
02-03-2022, 10:06 PM
Anyone seen his interview? Getting towards the realms of not being able to listen to him already.

Think he sees it different (and he may well be right) to most fans do. He's currently dealing with an injury list almost as longs as Hearts creditors and after going down to 10 men it isn't the worst result.

As a fan though I get what you mean.

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 10:07 PM

I think in fairness to him he’s in a very tricky position with what he can and can’t say.

The team is brutally young, off the top of my head the team the finished tonight only two were over the age of 23 - Cadden and Stevenson.

He has no other options so he can’t go ahead and slate young players in the media, he needs to keep morale and confidence high.

Tough conditions, a red card and without 10 first team players. I’m not saying it’s good enough, but he can’t come out and slaughter those who are available.

Stuart93
02-03-2022, 10:15 PM
I think in fairness to him he’s in a very tricky position with what he can and can’t say.

The team is brutally young, off the top of my head the team the finished tonight only two were over the age of 23 - Cadden and Stevenson.

He has no other options so he can’t go ahead and slate young players in the media, he needs to keep morale and confidence high.

Tough conditions, a red card and without 10 first team players. I’m not saying it’s good enough, but he can’t come out and slaughter those who are available.

I’m not looking for him to slaughter them. But an admission that a point against the worst team in the league isn’t good enough. An admission that we aren’t creating anywhere near enough and that it’ll be addressed.

He can tell the truth without slaughtering the players. Kind of making mugs of the supporters who were there tonight and/or having to watch it.

The last thing I’d want to do is here our manager saying it could be a very important point, against the worst team in the league, if I was on my way back home from dundee

bigwheel
02-03-2022, 10:16 PM

Don’t think there was anything wrong in what he said ..we’ve 10 plus players out , many of whole would start - and went down to ten men ..why would he not be happy with the outcome and effort levels ..fans singing his name , starting to build a bit of connection . I’ve been slow to warm to him, but thought his tactical changes at the sending off were excellent tonight

B.H.F.C
02-03-2022, 10:16 PM
No issue with the fight.

Total lack of quality in the final third. Of the attacking players signed in January, none of them have made any real impact (Mitchell obviously had from deeper).

Stuart93
02-03-2022, 10:18 PM
Don’t think there was anything wrong in what he said ..we’ve 10 plus players out , many of whole would start - and went down to ten men ..why would he not be happy with the outcome and effort levels ..fans singing his name , starting to build a bit of connection . I’ve been slow to warm to him, but thought his tactical changes at the sending off were excellent tonight

Because we still weren’t good enough before we went down to ten men though. Let’s not pretend the match would’ve panned out a lot differently if we had 11 on the park. A 0-0 draw was on the cards based on the 1st half alone.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2022, 10:19 PM
I’m not looking for him to slaughter them. But an admission that a point against the worst team in the league isn’t good enough. An admission that we aren’t creating anywhere near enough and that it’ll be addressed.

He can tell the truth without slaughtering the players. Kind of making mugs of the supporters who were there tonight and/or having to watch it.

The last thing I’d want to do is here our manager saying it could be a very important point, against the worst team in the league, if I was on my way back home from dundee

I thought the interview I heard was fine. Acknowledged that we needed to be more incisive in the first half.

Tonight definitely two dropped points but playing with ten men and with ten men out injured, I don’t think any manager would have said much different.

bigwheel
02-03-2022, 10:21 PM
Because we still weren’t good enough before we went down to ten men though. Let’s not pretend the match would’ve panned out a lot differently if we had 11 on the park. A 0-0 draw was on the cards based on the 1st half alone.

Nah. At the game I thought we started the second half dominating ..would have fancied us to edge it . Regardless we have been decimated . It’s harsh to judge us just now . I’m Seeing definite improvements in our structure and togetherness…we just don’t have the quality available to get consistent results

Stuart93
02-03-2022, 10:23 PM
I thought the interview I heard was fine. Acknowledged that we needed to be more incisive in the first half.

Tonight definitely two dropped points but playing with ten men and with ten men out injured, I don’t think any manager would have said much different.

God knows then. I’m potentially just a bit fed up listening to our managers saying results like tonight are alright/could be very important against the worst team in the league

WeeRussell
02-03-2022, 10:27 PM

If we finish above a team by a point, come the end of the season, and we got a point after going down to ten men with most of our first team missing on a **** pitch at Dens… then it might be an important point?

matty_f
02-03-2022, 10:29 PM

:agree:

Really looking forward to the next couple of months of folk spitting the dummy and finding any angle they can to slaughter the manager. Worked to get rid of Ross so might as well start early on the new guy. :greengrin

In seriousness, Maloney’s interview was fine, and actually I think
we’re improving game to game with the obvious issue being scoring. I do think it’s churlish to ignore the injuries and the conditions tonight. it was an awful game in which we were down to the bare bones in terms of players and it’s not just the players we’re missing that impacts - the players available are not getting the rest that they’d get if there was an option to bench them.

WhileTheChief..
02-03-2022, 10:29 PM
Totally out of his depth. Comes across with exactly the same sort of chat as James McPake.

B.H.F.C
02-03-2022, 10:30 PM
God knows then. I’m potentially just a bit fed up listening to our managers saying results like tonight are alright/could be very important against the worst team in the league

I’d be astounded if he doesn’t think we’re pretty pish. In the circumstances, I don’t think he can do much different and there is little point in him slaughtering them. We might not be up to much but they’re definitely playing for him. If they weren’t doing that, we’d be in an even worse position.

lord bunberry
03-03-2022, 07:24 AM
We were better when we went down to 10 men, Dundee opened up a bit and gave us more space to play. He needs to find a way to play that works better when teams sit in.

Northernhibee
03-03-2022, 07:30 AM
We were better when we went down to 10 men, Dundee opened up a bit and gave us more space to play. He needs to find a way to play that works better when teams sit in.

We need to pass less in those situations and take a risk. Try to play someone through, try to isolate a defender, take them on. Have a pop from range if that’s the best bet.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 07:35 AM
Totally out of his depth. Comes across with exactly the same sort of chat as James McPake.

Played 13, won 5, drawn 4, lost 4.

That certainly doesn’t read like someone who is totally out of his depth. Nothing to shout about by any means, but to suggest he’s out his depth is laughable.

In terms of his interview, we had 10 players missing and went down to 10 men. We were away from home. I would have hoped we’d have won tonight but it’s far from the worst result in the world.

lord bunberry
03-03-2022, 08:06 AM
We need to pass less in those situations and take a risk. Try to play someone through, try to isolate a defender, take them on. Have a pop from range if that’s the best bet.
Yip, it needs to be more direct sometimes. I like the idea of playing the ball out from the back and retaining possession, but there has to be an end product to it. Dundee were awful last night but we couldn’t break them down and that’s what Maloney needs to figure out how to do.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2022, 08:13 AM
I have to laugh when folk say we are playing a different way now, and the players need time to get used to it.

This new style under Maloney is nothing new, i was taught to pass and move when i was a kid.

What we were not taught was to be so negative, it's become normal now to be so frightened to lose the ball, that very few 50/50 balls are seen.

If this is the football we are getting from now on, we better start winning, as it's not entertaing to watch, and we all know Hibs must entertain or the natives get restless.

WhileTheChief..
03-03-2022, 08:38 AM

That certainly doesn’t read like someone who is totally out of his depth. Nothing to shout about by any means, but to suggest he’s out his depth is laughable.

In terms of his interview, we had 10 players missing and went down to 10 men. We were away from home. I would have hoped we’d have won tonight but it’s far from the worst result in the world.

We should get t-shirts or scarfs made with this, it’s the most positive thing anyone has had to say about last nights game!

Heisenberg
03-03-2022, 08:46 AM
I have to laugh when folk say we are playing a different way now, and the players need time to get used to it.

This new style under Maloney is nothing new, i was taught to pass and move when i was a kid.

What we were not taught was to be so negative, it's become normal now to be so frightened to lose the ball, that very few 50/50 balls are seen.

If this is the football we are getting from now on, we better start winning, as it's not entertaing to watch, and we all know Hibs must entertain or the natives get restless.

We certainly haven’t seen much of the attacking football he mentioned when appointed. I know it can take time but it’s been absolutely turgid more often than not.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2022, 08:58 AM
We certainly haven’t seen much of the attacking football he mentioned when appointed. I know it can take time but it’s been absolutely turgid more often than not.

The first 2 games against Dundee Utd and Aberdeen were like night and day from what we see now, we pressed all over the park so well in those games, but now we've gone back to being very passive.

Sometimes we just pass the ball around for passing's sake, it is boring as hell, and of course we have injuries, of course Maloney wants us to keep the ball more, but FFS there has to be a better cutting edge, and there has to be more urgency in trying to create.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 09:13 AM
The first 2 games against Dundee Utd and Aberdeen were like night and day from what we see now, we pressed all over the park so well in those games, but now we've gone back to being very passive.

Sometimes we just pass the ball around for passing's sake, it is boring as hell, and of course we have injuries, of course Maloney wants us to keep the ball more, but FFS there has to be a better cutting edge, and there has to be more urgency in trying to create.

I like Maloney but this has annoyed the life out of me.

His first two games in charge saw a huge change in the way we play. We won both, playing imo an exciting style of football and the DU game at Tannadice was probably our second best performance of the season after beating Rangers at Hampden.

Since then we’ve not even seen glimpses of the pressing from those games other than when Joe Hart miscontrolled it out for a corner on Sunday.

It worked so well the first two games then we seem to have completely binned it.

I think it may have been Klopp who said the best playmaker you can have is a high press because it can often leave you needing to make one final pass before having an opportunity with the areas you win the ball in. The first two games I would have said backed that up. Since then we want to knock it between the defence all game and play the complete opposite way.

loanheadhibby
03-03-2022, 09:14 AM
We should get t-shirts or scarfs made with this, it’s the most positive thing anyone has had to say about last nights game!

Agreed. It’s like our mantra now. Every other club has injuries and vast majority of squads smaller than ours.

Too many excuses getting used by club and fans.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 09:16 AM
Agreed. It’s like our mantra now. Every other club has injuries and vast majority of squads smaller than hours.

Too many excuses getting used by club and fans.

Thing is, there doesn’t need to be excuses. Maloneys results since he’s come in have been decent enough.

Excuses only come out because some folk are criticising everything he/the club does.

matty_f
03-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Thing is, there doesn’t need to be excuses. Maloneys results since he’s come in have been decent enough.

Excuses only come out because some folk are criticising everything he/the club does.

We’ve got an obvious shortcoming with our forward play but i’m not 100% convinced that’s all the manager’s doing. We do get into good positions and we do look to attack where we can.

We don’t have a striker on form and haven’t since Doidge got injured and Boyle left, and as significant as that, we have very few goals coming from the rest of the team.

Mitchell was contributing then got injured, JDH scored two in one game but after that you’re toiling to find a goal from another area of the pitch other than the forwards.

Hearts beat Aberdeen last night with both goals, I think, coming from defenders.

We’re needing to get that return from defenders and midfielders to support the strikers.

loanheadhibby
03-03-2022, 10:54 AM

Results have not been decent enough tho have they? Surely Maloney was aiming a bit higher than being decent enough when he applied for the job?

In the 3 months since he has been appointed, we scored something like 8 goals! And in most games we don't even look like scoring.

We get few goals from defensive players, next to no goals form midfield and our strikers have had a terrible season.

I'm hoping he rips the team apart in the Summer and gets some legs in the middle of the park and outwide. Hopefully Henderson can be the guy who fills the number 10 position and starts creating chances.

Keith_M
03-03-2022, 11:08 AM

True but two of those were against lower league teams.

In league matches alone, it's not great

Especially with the number of games we've failed to score (I think it's now 7 from 11)

Carheenlea
03-03-2022, 11:27 AM

Those first two games had a lot of us excited about how more entertaining watching Hibs might be, but was that renewed energy and drive all over the park just a case of a bit of trying to make an impression with the new manager?

Some have made the point that what we are seeing now is pretty much how most modern teams play. Football is becoming a very dull sport at the top level, which makes winning even more important given that there are very few really entertaining games where you can sort of half accept a poor result.

superfurryhibby
03-03-2022, 11:33 AM

Especially with the number of games we've failed to score (I think it's now 7 from 11)

So, in league terms we have played 11, won 3, drawn 4 and lost 4. That means we have taken 13 points from a possible 33.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 11:56 AM

Both of them were against teams who were absolutely flying. Arbroath especially was a game where we had lots of people on here predicting a Hibs defeat. They’re top of the second tier, only 5 places or so below us in the footballing pyramid when we played them.

It was a very tricky tie at the time for us, it would have been the same for any team outside the OF and we done well to navigate it fairly comfortably. Maloney deserves credit for that result, not for it to be chalked up as only being against a lower league team.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 11:59 AM
Those first two games had a lot of us excited about how more entertaining watching Hibs might be, but was that renewed energy and drive all over the park just a case of a bit of trying to make an impression with the new manager?

Some have made the point that what we are seeing now is pretty much how most modern teams play. Football is becoming a very dull sport at the top level, which makes winning even more important given that there are very few really entertaining games where you can sort of half accept a poor result.

I'm not sure we should have read too much into the first 2 victories.

The Aberdeen game was close and could have went either way really. We managed to take a chance from a corner.

Then we played a makeshift Dundee United team who also went down to ten men in the game.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure we should have read too much into the first 2 victories.

The Aberdeen game was close and could have went either way really. We managed to take a chance from a corner.

Then we played a makeshift Dundee United team who also went down to ten men in the game.

I think it was more the style of play rather than the results.

We seemed to have went a totally different route to what we had under JR and it was really exciting to see. After 2 wins, regardless of how much we deserved them, we seemed to then totally ditch it.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 12:25 PM
I think it was more the style of play rather than the results.

We seemed to have went a totally different route to what we had under JR and it was really exciting to see. After 2 wins, regardless of how much we deserved them, we seemed to then totally ditch it.

I have to say I've never really bought into this style of play thing being bad under Ross and that someone like Maloney could magically improve it. The 3 most exciting Hibs performances this season all came under Ross - Ross County at home, Dun Utd at Tannadice and Huns at Hampden we were 3 nil up before half time in all of them and the style of play was cracking.

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2022, 01:25 PM

It is up to the manager to get his players at that tempo and pace in every game surey? Since those games we've gone all pragmatic again, keep the ball at all cost, even if it means going backwards all the bloody time.

And where has the press gone from midfield and attack? We just file back into position and start again from deep, when those first two games we pushed on from the back and the midfield were in their opponents face as were the wide men and whoever we played up top.

We are miles away from that now, we've gone back to being so passive and that comes from the instructions from the sidelines.

Since452
03-03-2022, 01:31 PM

Jury is very much out for me, bit up and down so far, mostly down but i don't really want to judge him with all the players he has missing right now. I don't really care what he says in his interviews though it's what he says to the players that's more important. Every manager will waffle in front of the microphone. Ross was the most articulate, confident manager we've ever had infront of the press but still went on a horrendous run although i think that was due to mitigating circumstances more than anything else.

Since452
03-03-2022, 01:39 PM
I have to say I've never really bought into this style of play thing being bad under Ross and that someone like Maloney could magically improve it. The 3 most exciting Hibs performances this season all came under Ross - Ross County at home, Dun Utd at Tannadice and Huns at Hampden we were 3 nil up before half time in all of them and the style of play was cracking.

That Hampden game was fantastic. I think it was naive to rip up the script and start again when they did. Especially when in the previous season Ross managed to have the team highest scorers behind the Old Firm. The football wasn't bad at all. Certianly no worse than it is right now. I hope it works but i have my doubts.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 01:42 PM
That Hampden game was fantastic. I think it was naive to rip up the script and start again when they did. Especially when in the previous season Ross managed to have the team highest scorers behind the Old Firm. The football wasn't bad at all. Certianly no worse than it is right now. I hope it works but i have my doubts.

I think it would have been even more naive to carry on doing what we were doing and hoping it was somehow going to change.

We were rotten towards the end under Ross and results were significantly worse than they’ve been under Maloney.

We’d have been as well just keeping Ross and watching the ever increasing horrendous run continue if the idea was that Maloney shouldn’t have changed things.

Libby Hibby
03-03-2022, 01:44 PM

Just a tad melodramatic

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 01:59 PM

I'm in agreement with all this bud:aok:

blackpoolhibs
03-03-2022, 02:18 PM
I think it would have been even more naive to carry on doing what we were doing and hoping it was somehow going to change.

We were rotten towards the end under Ross and results were significantly worse than they’ve been under Maloney.

We’d have been as well just keeping Ross and watching the ever increasing horrendous run continue if the idea was that Maloney shouldn’t have changed things.
I think it would have been right to give Ross more time than we did, he already proved he could get us success, and had given us another chance by reaching the league Cup final, time and again he managed to win big games and ive no doubt in my mind he would have had us winning again given a decent chance, not sacked in hos first real dip in form.

Since452
03-03-2022, 02:28 PM
I think it would have been right to give Ross more time than we did, he already proved he could get us success, and had given us another chance by reaching the league Cup final, time and again he managed to win big games and ive no doubt in my mind he would have had us winning again given a decent chance, not sacked in hos first real dip in form.

It seems to me that bad spells aren't tollerated anymore which at a club like Hibs means we'll continue to change managers every couple of years.

The Modfather
03-03-2022, 02:31 PM
It is up to the manager to get his players at that tempo and pace in every game surey? Since those games we've gone all pragmatic again, keep the ball at all cost, even if it means going backwards all the bloody time.

And where has the press gone from midfield and attack? We just file back into position and start again from deep, when those first two games we pushed on from the back and the midfield were in their opponents face as were the wide men and whoever we played up top.

We are miles away from that now, we've gone back to being so passive and that comes from the instructions from the sidelines.

While I didn’t see either of Maloney’s first two games I do think it’s worth noting we had Boyle for both of them. Maloney inherited a fairly average squad that contained a superstar in Boyle IMO. We sold Boyle and our shortcomings up front are clear to see. It will take a lot of money and a few windows to fix properly.

Paul1642
03-03-2022, 02:36 PM
It seems to me that bad spells aren't tollerated anymore which at a club like Hibs means we'll continue to change managers every couple of years.

I think at least half the fans were willing to give Ross the season. The change came from the board who have hopefully learned a lesson.

Despite Lennon a bad spell it was only his behaviour that got him the sack (I think).

Alfred E Newman
03-03-2022, 02:50 PM

We were on a bad run but rotten is a bit OTT and it was certainly no worse than the pass it to death stuff we are being dished up now.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 02:53 PM
I think at least half the fans were willing to give Ross the season. The change came from the board who have hopefully learned a lesson.

Despite Lennon a bad spell it was only his behaviour that got him the sack (I think).

Was the Ross change not more to do with a clash with Ron Gordon?

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 03:02 PM
We were on a bad run but rotten is a bit OTT and it was certainly no worse than the pass it to death stuff we are being dished up now.

It certainly was worse than the run we’re on now. The statistics show that it was significantly worse. Results wise we’ve been much better since Ross left.

We also lost 7 of JRs last 10 games with numerous absolute horror shows in the run. Rotten is in no way OTT imo, it’s exactly what it was.

Danderhall Hibs
03-03-2022, 03:37 PM
Was the Ross change not more to do with a clash with Ron Gordon?

I've only seen one person suggest this happened.

B.H.F.C
03-03-2022, 06:17 PM

Learned their lesson? It’s quite possible they’ll feel like they’re in a better position than when Ross left (which would be better still if we weren’t missing a whole team) and be content with their decision. That’s not me saying it’s all brilliant by the way but that night at Livingston in December was a lot worse and I wasn’t seeing it changing.

LaMotta
03-03-2022, 06:19 PM
I've only seen one person suggest this happened.

I probably got it from that one person :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
03-03-2022, 06:28 PM
I probably got it from that one person :greengrin

:greengrin think it’s a bit like the “yogi poured red wine over Petrie’s head” stuff.

Stubbsy90+2
03-03-2022, 06:42 PM
Learned their lesson? It’s quite possible they’ll feel like they’re in a better position than when Ross left (which would be better still if we weren’t missing a whole team) and be content with their decision. That’s not me saying it’s all brilliant by the way but that night at Livingston in December was a lot worse and I wasn’t seeing it changing.

Absolutely. In the run up to Ross being sacked we had numerous performances worse than anything Maloneys teams have delivered. Every week we would say this is the week it would turn around and quite often it would be even worse culminating in the game at Livingston which was almost funny it was that bad.

Dashing Bob S
04-03-2022, 08:50 AM
Maloney is trying to change our style of play, compete harder and be more solid, (this is major transition for Hibs) and he’s attempting this with a skeleton personnel. Anyone who doesn’t think he’s doing more than okay in such circumstances probably needs their heads examined.

Since452
04-03-2022, 09:08 AM
Absolutely. In the run up to Ross being sacked we had numerous performances worse than anything Maloneys teams have delivered. Every week we would say this is the week it would turn around and quite often it would be even worse culminating in the game at Livingston which was almost funny it was that bad.

Livingston was very, very bad but up until then the players were still clearly fighting for Ross. St Johnstone away springs to mind. He had a squad reeling from Covid and the fixture congestion from the cancelled games which followed that do deal with. Nine games in four weeks i think it was. If the guy who just left for 3 million managed not to make a complete arse of his penalty then the Liningston game might have ended differently.