PDA

View Full Version : Ooh Ahh up the RA. WTF

bordergreen
27-02-2022, 11:57 AM
Celtic and Rangers really are two cheeks of the same arse. What have the IRA, or Ulster Loyalism got to do with Scottish football?

Rangers call us feinan *******s, most of my Hibs supporting mates are not Catholic. Even if they were, so what. Celtic think we are their wee cousins, in the Irish Freedom Fight. F%@& Off the lot of you.

Getting back to what it is really about. Hibs doing well today.

Jones28
27-02-2022, 12:00 PM
**** all. It never has and it never will. Sectarianism sells, so the clubs at the heart of it will do **** all about it. We have a system in place whereby the two clubs who would get hit the hardest by can veto a system that changes that - let it never be forgotten that ****ing Aberdeen made that happen. Stupid *****.

God I hate the old firm, and all the ***** that comes with them.

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-02-2022, 12:00 PM
It was a solid 5 mins of it as well

Said on the match day thread, what's the relevance in 2022?

On Thursday they were singing "go on home British soldiers" - again, relevance?

It really ****s me off how this is allowed to go unpunished

LunasBoots
27-02-2022, 12:01 PM
I'm from a Catholic background but generally embarrassed by both sides, it's 2022 move on.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 12:02 PM
Probably think they are sticking up for the Ukrainian cause.

They evidently kept on chanting it because it got a reaction from our support booing them and it wasn't a minority either.

Flumps, the lot of them.

tamig
27-02-2022, 12:03 PM

It is pish. But where do you start with the punishment bit? The futile attempts to date have all died away quickly.

The Modfather
27-02-2022, 12:05 PM
With Celtc the debate often gets bogged down in it’s not sectarian it’s political. They and Rangers all exist in the same bubble, they feed off each other. Sectarian, political it’s all the same to them. I refuse to believe Celtc are more nuanced and are political and not sectarian. They both ultimately link everything back to religion as that’s the prism they view the world through.

The rest of us live in 2022 and look on with bafflement and pity.

Jones28
It is pish. But where do you start with the punishment bit? The futile attempts to date have all died away quickly.

You ban their fans. You fine the clubs. You bring in strict liability and shut stadiums. You smash them until the knuckle dragging ******s that perpetuate it get the message that it is unacceptable.

McSwanky
Weirdos.

WeeRussell
27-02-2022, 12:06 PM
You ban their fans. You fine the clubs. You bring in strict liability and shut stadiums. You smash them until the knuckle dragging ******s that perpetuate it get the message that it is unacceptable.

10/10

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2022, 12:07 PM

The clubs, collectively,don't want strict liability.

Paul1642
27-02-2022, 12:12 PM
It’s crazy. In this day and age if a thousands of fans sung racist, homophobic, anti disability, or any other kind of hate filled song the clubs would be crucified. Why is sectarianism so ignorable.

LunasBoots
27-02-2022, 12:13 PM

Exactly, clubs should openly call it out after the match if they do it, it should be condemned until something is actually done about it.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 12:13 PM
With Celtc the debate often gets bogged down in it’s not sectarian it’s political. They and Rangers all exist in the same bubble, they feed off each other. Sectarian, political it’s all the same to them. I refuse to believe Celtc are more nuanced and are political and not sectarian. They both ultimately link everything back to religion as that’s the prism they view the world through.

:agree: Both of them are utter **** and an embarrassment to Scottish football and the wider Scottish society.

**** the pair of them.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 12:18 PM
The clubs, collectively,don't want strict liability.

It needs to be at least an 11-1 vote in favor. We all know why that won't happen.

silverhibee
27-02-2022, 12:20 PM
Would seem the volume has been turned down at away end.

CropleyWasGod
27-02-2022, 12:22 PM
It needs to be at least an 11-1 vote in favor. We all know why that won't happen.

It would be an SPFL-wide vote. According to this report, only 3 out of 42 are in favour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47646210

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 12:33 PM
It would be an SPFL-wide vote. According to this report, only 3 out of 42 are in favour.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47646210

I stand corrected. :aok:

LunasBoots
27-02-2022, 12:33 PM
Does every Smeltic song have IRA in it today?

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 12:38 PM
Does every Smeltic song have IRA in it today?

The Irish national anthem doesn't.

They even sing songs with a fake Irish twang.

Since452
27-02-2022, 01:17 PM
Horrible, pittiful set of fans. **** them.

Hermit Crab
27-02-2022, 01:20 PM
Sky done their best to mute the mics when they started the party songs.

CraigHibee
27-02-2022, 01:22 PM
Some things will never change

Waxy
27-02-2022, 01:23 PM
Bet the football clubs in Ireland arent as concerned about Ireland as much as the old firm.

Carheenlea
27-02-2022, 01:27 PM
Is anyone really surprised by the Celtic supporters songbook? Been the same for decades.

Big Scottish saltire in the section 7 bit this afternoon to counter the big Irish flag in away end - must have decided to pack our Irish flags away for this one and get a Scotland/Ireland gig going for the pantomime. Dig them back out again for the Rangers/Hearts days.

All a bit laughable.

JOD
27-02-2022, 01:29 PM
The bigot brothers are the bigot brothers simple as that. My ancestors are from Donegal and I'm so proud to be a Hibee. As a club we acknowledge our history without all that sectarian nonsense.

bordergreen
27-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Is anyone really surprised by the Celtic supporters songbook? Been the same for decades.

Big Scottish saltire in the section 7 bit this afternoon to counter the big Irish flag in away end - must have decided to pack our Irish flags away for this one and get a Scotland/Ireland gig going for the pantomime. Dig them back out again for the Rangers/Hearts days.

All a bit laughable.

Not surprised, but every Celtic fan I know likes to call out Rangers for their bigotry… There is a reason every team in Scotland was delighted when Rangers went bust. That is because their fans are horrible *****. Celtic fans may not be quite as horrible, but their sectarian nonsense can GTF.

They are so deluded that it is all about Celtic and Rangers, that my Celtic supporting mate said to me, well let’s hope Motherwell beat The Rangers later. Really, we are not competing with Rangers or Celtic this year, but three points less for Motherwell are a result for me…

Well done Hibs, Well done Shaun Maloney for today.

Keith_M
27-02-2022, 01:48 PM
Two cheeks of the same ar5e.

They should be slaughtered for this by the press, the SG, the SFA and their own club

...but as usual the silence will be deafening.

Though I fully expect to hear a defence from the usual suspects

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 01:53 PM
Embarrassing Jakey behaviour. The OF can sing whatever they want it seldom bothers me but this effort takes the biscuit. They wouldn’t know terror if it landed in their soup.

Brightside
27-02-2022, 02:01 PM
SFA will ignore. That’s the issue

Logie Green
27-02-2022, 02:01 PM
Not surprised, but every Celtic fan I know likes to call out Rangers for their bigotry… There is a reason every team in Scotland was delighted when Rangers went bust. That is because their fans are horrible *****. Celtic fans may not be quite as horrible, but their sectarian nonsense can GTF.

They are so deluded that it is all about Celtic and Rangers, that my Celtic supporting mate said to me, well let’s hope Motherwell beat The Rangers later. Really, we are not competing with Rangers or Celtic this year, but three points less for Motherwell are a result for me…

Well done Hibs, Well done Shaun Maloney for today.

Re your middle paragraph.

I was walking up Easter Road after the match; the person I was with had a Hibs scarf and hat on. Three members of the green and grey mob were walking towards us. One said “Well done for handing the league to Rangers”. Obsessed weirdos.

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2022, 02:20 PM
Aye, it's embarrassing to see and hear grown men carrying like that. It isn't the 1970s, Northern Ireland has come a long way, whilst the Old Firm remain locked in their past nonsense. Strict liability would be ideal for this situation, but the Old Firm aren't stupid and won't allow it.

Cat Stanton
27-02-2022, 02:30 PM
Fergus McCann stopped it for a while at Celtc home games. UEFA stopped it for a while with Rangers. It could be very easily done. But the SFA and SPFL do nothing. They're as pathetic as the morons who sing the songs.

Nakedmanoncrack
27-02-2022, 02:31 PM
If you dont like what you hear, there's nothing stopping the much greater number of Hibs fans singing whatever we want to drown them out, but nobody could be bothered. Quietest Celtic support in years today, but what little atmosphere there was, was all at that end.

Johnny Clash
27-02-2022, 02:31 PM
As someone posted earlier - fans try find songs to get a reaction from the other side. Once they get a reaction then they sing for longer and louder. You can see they stopped when the reaction fizzled out. There’s one solution - never show the opposition they’ve got you annoyed.

easty
27-02-2022, 02:32 PM
If you dont like what you hear, there's nothing stopping the much greater number of Hibs fans singing whatever we want to drown them out, but nobody could be bothered. Quietest Celtic support in years today, but what little atmosphere there was, was all at that end.

Aye it’s Hibs fans fault we could hear that ***** all day.

Cat Stanton
27-02-2022, 02:32 PM

That really isn't the point.

Johnny Clash
27-02-2022, 02:33 PM
… having said that … and to totally contradict mahself… best reaction today was the ‘if it wasnae for the hibees’ song!

Pagan Hibernia
27-02-2022, 02:33 PM
Re your middle paragraph.

I was walking up Easter Road after the match; the person I was with had a Hibs scarf and hat on. Three members of the green and grey mob were walking towards us. One said “Well done for handing the league to Rangers”. Obsessed weirdos.

did you not realise we exist to enable Celtic to win the league?

Brightside
27-02-2022, 02:34 PM

Dearie me.

One Day
27-02-2022, 02:38 PM

Do you think this will be reported in the Daily Record ? NO, but they'll be able to tell you where Porteous went for a pint.

Logie Green
27-02-2022, 02:38 PM
did you not realise we exist to enable Celtic to win the league?

I did, but now I know we also exist to enable the huns to win it too. 😜

Bishop Hibee
27-02-2022, 02:41 PM
I was surprised they hadn’t tried to hijack the war in Ukraine in an attempt to portray themselves as the most right-on fans in the world. Living in an alternative universe where Sinn Fein didn’t renounce armed conflict.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 02:49 PM
I wonder if there's ever been another thread on an internet forum six words or more long and every word is three or less letters? :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
27-02-2022, 02:50 PM
I wonder if there's ever been another thread on an internet forum six words or more long and every word is three or less letters? :greengrin

Good point :top marks

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 02:50 PM
I was surprised they hadn’t tried to hijack the war in Ukraine in an attempt to portray themselves as the most right-on fans in the world. Living in an alternative universe where Sinn Fein didn’t renounce armed conflict.

I'm sure they have already. Comparing the British Army occupying Ireland to Russia in Ukraine. That's a guarantee.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 02:51 PM
Good point :top marks

:greengrin

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 02:56 PM
As someone posted earlier - fans try find songs to get a reaction from the other side. Once they get a reaction then they sing for longer and louder. You can see they stopped when the reaction fizzled out. There’s one solution - never show the opposition they’ve got you annoyed.

I think the Hibs fans who booed were quite within their rights to show their disgust at songs being sung in support of a terrorist organisation to be fair.

Chuck Rhoades
27-02-2022, 02:58 PM

I was about to post similar. Atmosphere from our end was awful today. You try start a song in the East these days and folk look at you like you had two heads.

Keith_M
27-02-2022, 02:58 PM

What a load of bollox

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 03:00 PM

Nonsense.

Keith_M

... the level of of bollox of the previous post outdone by this one

Chuck Rhoades
I think the Hibs fans who booed were quite within their rights to show their disgust at songs being sung in support of a terrorist organisation to be fair.

Terrorist? Deary me. You wouldn’t have heard much from the away end if we put half as much effort in to cheer the team than it took to boo them.

tamig
27-02-2022, 03:01 PM

And that ain’t ever happening here.

Allant1981
27-02-2022, 03:02 PM
Terrorist? Deary me. You wouldn’t have heard much from the away end if we put half as much effort in to cheer the team than it took to boo them.

You dont think the IRA are terrorists

Keith_M
27-02-2022, 03:02 PM

Would you care to take your whittabootery to another level or are you content with your latest contribution?

AliboyFC
27-02-2022, 03:06 PM

There is a few pricks in our support too even though it's a minority but this guy on twitter who's a "hibs" fan called Me a "British loyalist" cos I defended the green union flag 😂. He was kicking off with the stand with ukraine post on twitter aswell. He got told to **** off by another guy. We need to get people like that out of this club. Nothing wrong with being proud of our Irish roots but when you are like that om twitter posting ***** about the ira its really pathetic imo.

Just Alf
27-02-2022, 03:06 PM
Terrorist? Deary me. You wouldn’t have heard much from the away end if we put half as much effort in to cheer the team than it took to boo them.Wondering if you're in the pub and 'at it'... just asked around in case it's just me and over a few tables around us the feeling is you weren't even at the game (or had selected hearing!)

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:07 PM

The IRA are a terrorist organisation. I'm not sure how you can say otherwise.

If a group of fannies from the away support sing about a terrorist group and support of it why shouldn't it be booed out? What also has it got to do with supporting Glasgow Celtic? We are sitting watching football, **** all else.

I would rather be silent than sing that **** every single day of the week.

Carheenlea
27-02-2022, 03:07 PM
Billy Boys, Up The Ra, FTQ, FTP etc - hard to get offended by any of it. Just noise at the football for me.

Chuck Rhoades
27-02-2022, 03:08 PM
Wondering if you're in the pub and 'at it'... just asked around in case it's just me and over a few tables around us the feeling is you weren't even at the game (or had selected hearing!)

I was there. Are you stating the atmosphere from the Hibs end was positive today? It was silence for the majority.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:09 PM
I was there. Are you stating the atmosphere from the Hibs end was positive today? It was silence for the majority.

Are you saying singing songs about the IRA at a football match is positive?

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 03:09 PM

Yes terrorists.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/proscribed-terror-groups-or-organisations--2/proscribed-terrorist-groups-or-organisations-accessible-version#list-of-proscribed-groups-linked-to-northern-ireland-related-terrorism

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:11 PM
Billy Boys, Up The Ra, FTQ, FTP etc - hard to get offended by any of it. Just noise at the football for me.

Usually I laugh it off as them being pathetic enough to sing they songs but as what's going on in the world just now singing songs about an organisation that killed many innocent people is insensitive at the least.

Just Alf
27-02-2022, 03:13 PM
I was there. Are you stating the atmosphere from the Hibs end was positive today? It was silence for the majority.Anything non IRA was defo positive, as soon as some of the **** hit the gutters it was less so... maybe you were in a section of numpties and couldn't hear how normal Hibs fans were supporting the team? Apologies to you for being in that position must've been really disappointing thinking you were surrounded by the dregs of humanity and thinking the rest of us were like that. :agree

Jones28
27-02-2022, 03:14 PM

If they’d sang “Ooh, aah, Al-Queda” would you have said the same?

Chuck Rhoades
27-02-2022, 03:14 PM
Are you saying singing songs about the IRA at a football match is positive?

No.

Carheenlea
27-02-2022, 03:17 PM

Probably. Would take it as seriously as their regular songs of choice.

Hillsidehibby
Is the IRA still an issue for people? They dont even exist.

Iggy Pope
Would you care to take your whittabootery to another level or are you content with your latest contribution?

Are these the “usual suspects” you referred to in your first post Keith or is the whole thread going to be about the “usual suspects” including you, that carry both viewpoints to enormous repeated length?

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 03:20 PM

Probably only if they spelled Al Qaeda like that on a banner. That would be a laugh.

Jones28
Probably only if they spelled Al Qaeda like that on a banner. That would be a laugh.

😂😂

In fairness it’s trickier than “IRA”

The 90+2
Is the IRA still an issue for people? They dont even exist.

Yes. It's singing in support of a known terrorist group who murdered 1000s. It's **** behavior and rightly gets booed.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:21 PM
😂😂

Especially for a group of Celtc supporters who can't spell the club they support correct.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 03:22 PM
😂😂

Don’t count on it :greengrin

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 03:22 PM
Especially for a group of Celtc supporters who can't spell the club they support correct.

Correctly.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:24 PM
Correctly.

Touché, dooshie :greengrin

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 03:28 PM
Dragging the thread off centre am I really hearing booing of the National Anthem at Wembley there? :greengrin

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:31 PM
Dragging the thread off centre am I really hearing booing of the National Anthem at Wembley there? :greengrin

Liverpool fans.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 03:33 PM
Liverpool fans.

I thought it must have been. Wonder if the Chelsea message boards are full of it.....probably.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2022, 03:35 PM
Liverpool fans.

Why

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:36 PM
I thought it must have been. Wonder if the Chelsea message boards are full of it.....probably.

Without doubt :agree:

Chelsea are Unionist with a Russian owner. Liverpool wanted to sing YNWA to support Ukraine. I kind of see the logic tbh and raging Chelsea/Huns is good enough for me. Hope Liverpool pump Chelsea here.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:37 PM
Why

Only seen a few comments but was for what I posted above from what I see online.

Billy Whizz
27-02-2022, 03:37 PM
Only seen a few comments but was for what I posted above from what I see online.

Ok ta
Think Chelsea will be under pressure from lots of other clubs fans, having a Russian owner

greenlex
27-02-2022, 03:41 PM
They were away quiet towards the end of the game.:confused:

Nakedmanoncrack
27-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Dearie me.

Classic internet riposte, hilarious.

heretoday
27-02-2022, 03:56 PM
It's the old story of the Glasgow giants giving and taking offence in equal measure. It's best to ignore it and watch the match.

Logie Green
27-02-2022, 03:56 PM
Why

They’ve done it for years, rightly so in my opinion.

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 03:58 PM
They’ve done it for years, rightly so in my opinion.

Why? :confused:

It's like Rangers or Celtic booing Flower of Scotland. Weird.

Leith Green
27-02-2022, 04:44 PM
Hibs should be taking them to task on this… Statements released when one supporter misbehaves , or a racism incident.. Time to actually stand up to both of them. Statement should be released expressing their disappointment about conduct of away fans today

.Sean.
27-02-2022, 05:00 PM
What I would give for Hibs to come amount and condemn what we all heard and tell them they won’t receive an allocation for the foreseeable.

Failing that, cut their allocation for a start.

The Spaceman
27-02-2022, 05:08 PM
Guaranteed if our fans were thick as pig **** enough to sing these songs en masse we’d be front page of every bottom feeding ragtop going plus sportscene.

Carheenlea
27-02-2022, 05:09 PM
What I would give for Hibs to come amount and condemn what we all heard and tell them they won’t receive an allocation for the foreseeable.

So punish ourselves with loss of gate receipts?

Keith_M
27-02-2022, 05:12 PM
Hibs should be taking them to task on this… Statements released when one supporter misbehaves , or a racism incident.. Time to actually stand up to both of them. Statement should be released expressing their disappointment about conduct of away fans today

:agree:

Totally agree.

I'm not in any way blaming Hibs here but I'd love it if, for once, we actually took a public stand on condemning this.

Hibiza
27-02-2022, 05:16 PM

Good post Sur , only time they attend Church is funerals or the odd wedding. Had the misfortune of being within them walking down Easter Road , by enlarge just a bad lot who think there the best thing since holy communion , yes I'm a Catholic.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 05:16 PM

Can’t see why the club would spend time campaigning this when it seems we have an entire nation from Government to media to public that cannot be arsed.

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 05:22 PM
Guaranteed if our fans were thick as pig **** enough to sing these songs en masse we’d be front page of every bottom feeding ragtop going plus sportscene.

Absolutely. “Ooh ah up the Ra” can’t be described as anything even approaching the folk songs we hear of. It’s a playground chant of moronic proportions by people who don’t know any better and we Hibbies are somehow getting worked up about it as some of us seem to enjoy being offended.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 05:32 PM
:agree:

Totally agree.

I'm not in any way blaming Hibs here but I'd love it if, for once, we actually took a public stand on condemning this.

Yep whilst it was beginning to annoy me with the young kids coming onto the pitch at full time to get a selfie or their favourite player's shirt, Hibs came out last week with the announcement which dropped very heavy hints about possibly banning parents who deliberately let their kids run onto the pitch.

Yet there's not a peep from them when it comes to stuff like we saw today from either Celtic or Rangers fans - which, in my opinion, is the biggest issue facing Scottish football.

Replace "Ooh ahh up the ra" with "ooh ahh up ISIS" and the club would rightly be vilified and playing behind closed doors for months.

bigwheel
27-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Absolutely. “Ooh ah up the Ra” can’t be described as anything even approaching the folk songs we hear of. It’s a playground chant of moronic proportions by people who don’t know any better and we Hibbies are somehow getting worked up about it as some of us seem to enjoy being offended.

Those chants don’t bother me . I don’t mind they get pantomime booed either . as you suggest , it just reflects on their support as rather “moronic “

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 05:38 PM
Yep whilst it was beginning to annoy me with the young kids coming onto the pitch at full time to get a selfie or their favourite player's shirt, Hibs came out last week with the announcement which dropped very heavy hints about possibly banning parents who deliberately let their kids run onto the pitch.

Yet there's not a peep from them when it comes to stuff like we saw today from either Celtic or Rangers fans - which, in my opinion, is the biggest issue facing Scottish football.

Replace "Ooh ahh up the ra" with "ooh ahh up ISIS" and the club would rightly be vilified and playing behind closed doors for months.

Quite right, doesn't even rhyme :greengrin

Johnny Clash
27-02-2022, 05:41 PM

Yes nobody said they weren’t ’within their rights’ … but it was exactly the reaction the Celtc fans wanted. So it encouraged them.

Selfishly, as a Hibs supporter, I prefer them to spend 90 mins NOt singing songs about their players or manager, as giving encouragement to your team tends to make your players play better. Jota had a stinker . Maybe if they sang a Jota song it might gee him up a bit. Even better if they booed their players right enough. Now that’s what all opposition fans love!

The Baldmans Comb
27-02-2022, 05:49 PM
I can't say any songs about the Irish wars of Independence bother me in the slightest but I can understand completely why British Unionists get upset as should any normal run of the mill football supporter who just wants to enjoy a sporting event free of such historical baggage which has no relevance to the event taking place.

Celtic supporters are just an embarrassment to themselves and to the cause they continually misrepresent.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 05:51 PM
Yes nobody said they weren’t ’within their rights’ … but it was exactly the reaction the Celtc fans wanted. So it encouraged them.

Selfishly, as a Hibs supporter, I prefer them to spend 90 mins NOt singing songs about their players or manager, as giving encouragement to your team tends to make your players play better. Jota had a stinker . Maybe if they sang a Jota song it might gee him up a bit. Even better if they booed their players right enough. Now that’s what all opposition fans love!

Chants like today's should be called out at every opportunity.

JohnM1875
27-02-2022, 05:55 PM
I genuinely hate that **** from them today. Just as bad as anything the huns do at ER. Bunch of *****.

wookie70
27-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Quite a few of them in the home stands too. Not sure if they joined in with the party songs but they don't make it difficult to detect them. 2 sat besides us in seats of two of our mates so not exactly trying to be inconspicuous and obviously just sat in the best seats they could see

AndyM_1875
27-02-2022, 06:00 PM

Bang on. A mate of mine once said when Sellik and Rangers start their nonsense it was useful as it allowed you to recognise all the hammerheads in the crowd and who has trouble walking without dragging their knuckles on the ground after themselves.

And you are right re your earlier post. There is no danger the Green Brigade would be able to spell Al-Qaeda without making a total horlicks of it.

The Modfather
27-02-2022, 06:08 PM

While it’s not an issue for Hibs to tackle in isolation everyone has a part to play. If the options are to continue to turn a blind eye and take the money or to call them out and cut the allocation, with a financial impact. It’s the latter option for me.

bordergreen
27-02-2022, 06:20 PM

I am not looking to be offended by anything. It was me who started the thread. Nothing boils my piss more than the looking to be offended brigade... I am in my 50's, not a 15 year old keyboard warrior. Celtic fans spew bile about sectarian nonsense from Rangers fans, but are they any better.

I work in Northern Ireland quite regularly. I think Belfast is a cracking city to visit. Great food, great craic. Last week I had a conversation with two colleages from Northern Ireland, where I told them I thought Belfast was a great city. They asked me if I would live there, and were quite surprised when I said no, because of the sectarian nonsense. I explained to them, that what they see as part of day to day life, is mental to people from Scotland, except perhaps if you live in area's dominated by sectarianism of course. We do have them. I will remind you of the, anything west of Newbridge is a weedgie phrase...

When my colleagues said it is not like that anymore, I reminded them of recent converstaions I have had with them i.e. checking under your car for bombs, because a family member works for the Police. Having to say Derry/Londonderry, so you don't identify what community you come from. The recent conversation I had with them around the paramilitaries burning the glider buses, as they go right across the city (I was astonished that there were different buses to different areas, based on religion). I explained to them, that stuff all seems normal to them, as they have grown up with it, so it is no big deal. To people living normal lives in Scotland, that is mental. Keep your sectarian pish in Glasgow...

Johnny Clash
27-02-2022, 06:49 PM

Yes I’m sure these songs, designed to get a reaction, will continue to get the reaction the Celtc fans want. I’d rather disappoint them. Same with those who sing about the British Empire … it’s to wind us up and they want a reaction. Nothing to do with encouraging their team. Do many Celtc players even know what ‘sing up the ra means’?

Lancs Harp
27-02-2022, 06:54 PM
Yes I’m sure these songs, designed to get a reaction, will continue to get the reaction the Celtc fans want. I’d rather disappoint them. Same with those who sing about the British Empire … it’s to wind us up and they want a reaction. Nothing to do with encouraging their team. Do many Celtc players even know what ‘sing up the ra means’?

Similar to my take on it mate, they are supposed to be supporting their football team, apart from creating a noise, how are they backing their team singing that 5hyte

Mcbizz1998
27-02-2022, 06:55 PM
I couldn’t make the game today because of a family commitment - but I caught some of the game on radio in the car.

These morons singing about the IRA loud and clear for about 20 mins straight. Absolutely embarrassing stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbhibby
27-02-2022, 07:07 PM
It's been going on since my first game in 1965,the bile is still the same. Sad indictment on our society that people like that still exist,it won't change as it keeps the turnstiles clicking for these two clubs.
The SFA and SPFL need to grow a pair but nothing will change. Need strict liability and a match commander to monitor.

.Sean.
27-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Hearts done it and seemed to manage. Maybe time we started to fill the stadium with our own supporters and not rely on money from they tramps

Iggy Pope
27-02-2022, 07:12 PM
I am not looking to be offended by anything. It was me who started the thread. Nothing boils my piss more than the looking to be offended brigade... I am in my 50's, not a 15 year old keyboard warrior. Celtic fans spew bile about sectarian nonsense from Rangers fans, but are they any better.

I work in Northern Ireland quite regularly. I think Belfast is a cracking city to visit. Great food, great craic. Last week I had a conversation with two colleages from Northern Ireland, where I told them I thought Belfast was a great city. They asked me if I would live there, and were quite surprised when I said no, because of the sectarian nonsense. I explained to them, that what they see as part of day to day life, is mental to people from Scotland, except perhaps if you live in area's dominated by sectarianism of course. We do have them. I will remind you of the, anything west of Newbridge is a weedgie phrase...

When my colleagues said it is not like that anymore, I reminded them of recent converstaions I have had with them i.e. checking under your car for bombs, because a family member works for the Police. Having to say Derry/Londonderry, so you don't identify what community you come from. The recent conversation I had with them around the paramilitaries burning the glider buses, as they go right across the city (I was astonished that there were different buses to different areas, based on religion). I explained to them, that stuff all seems normal to them, as they have grown up with it, so it is no big deal. To people living normal lives in Scotland, that is mental. Keep your sectarian pish in Glasgow...

I’d live in Belfast before a number of other British cities. But I prefer Edinburgh.
As I’ve said, that lot today are cretins, juveniles that know **** all about anything and are being ignored, which by and large as a nation, appears to be the trend. Not a dig at your OP at all, but, as a phrase used in another thread that I said I would use, the ‘clutching of pearls’ is prevalent amongst our number. Happens a lot.

mikefadge
27-02-2022, 07:17 PM

Absolutely this ☝ It's one thing denouncing a football team from Glasgow for perpetuating a hatred that has nothing to do with them... but WTF would you do if your culture and heritage was being molested in front of you?? Become a "terrorist " or lay down and see everything you know die

The 90+2
27-02-2022, 07:28 PM
Absolutely this ☝ It's one thing denouncing a football team from Glasgow for perpetuating a hatred that has nothing to do with them... but WTF would you do if your culture and heritage was being molested in front of you?? Become a "terrorist " or lay down and see everything you know die

What are you on about? Culture and heritage? You do realise we are named Hibernian FC? You do realise Ireland is thriving at the moment on both sides of the border? What exactly is being molested? And why does that make it acceptable a football club from Glasgow are singing songs about a terrorist organisation from Ireland?

Unless there was 4000 supporters in the away end from the ROI? The difference is nobody or a massive majority of people in ROI couldn't give a shiny ***** about british armys and think the IRA are ****. Most support Man Utd Liverpool or Spurs and sing football songs.

Celtc fans are ****. As bad as the hun.

vuefrom1875
27-02-2022, 07:56 PM
It’s crazy. In this day and age if a thousands of fans sung racist, homophobic, anti disability, or any other kind of hate filled song the clubs would be crucified. Why is sectarianism so ignorable.

Well,your spfl/sfa couldn't a flying f##c....move on nothing to see here its there attitude.

CentreLine
27-02-2022, 07:58 PM
Celtic and Rangers really are two cheeks of the same arse. What have the IRA, or Ulster Loyalism got to do with Scottish football?

Rangers call us feinan *******s, most of my Hibs supporting mates are not Catholic. Even if they were, so what. Celtic think we are their wee cousins, in the Irish Freedom Fight. F%@& Off the lot of you.

Getting back to what it is really about. Hibs doing well today.

Most fenians were not Catholic either. The polarisation of the situation in Ireland is a modern twists. Very few leaders of any uprising in Ireland were Catholic. The issue there was you were “church of Ireland” or a dissenter. Being a dissenter made you liable to the penal laws and people in that position were prone to rebel against the injustice of it. Nothing so simple as Catholic v Protestant

27-02-2022, 08:15 PM
Im unwell so missed the game today but could hear it very loud and clear on the TV. Certainly was not a "minority". Glad to hear it was met with loud booing from the hibs support. Maybe that'll finally get the message through to them that we aren't like them. I hate this patronising idea celtic fans have that we are their "wee cousins" etc. It's absolute cringe as every hibs fan i have ever spoken to hates them and everything they stand for.

hibee-boys
27-02-2022, 08:25 PM
Probably sung primarily by buckfast fuelled neds who wouldn’t even know what IRA stands for, total imbecile’s.

silverhibee
27-02-2022, 08:28 PM

Sky & BT Sports need to stop promoting this crap, these pundits are quick enough to apologise when they hear a wee sweary word from a player or the dugout, but allow sectarian chanting like this to go on and say nothing, it’s becoming a joke and these two companies need to act on this, they should be apologising to the customers for the songs being sung or turn the volume down straight away and not 10 minutes later.

silverhibee
27-02-2022, 08:48 PM
The FM should be saying something about this but won’t, she will have learned from Salmond when he said he would eradicate sectarian singing from football grounds, and here we are still moaning about it, Police Scotland need to do more rather than just stand there and watch them sing there crap, surely they are committing a breach of the peace.

Pagan Hibernia
27-02-2022, 08:56 PM

did Hibs publicly call out their own fans for desecrating the memory of the Lisbon Lions and Walter Smith recently? Should we be denied an allocation (as small as it is) for Celtic park and ibrox?

No whataboutery here, Celtic fans are erseholes of the highest degree without a smidgen of common sense or self awareness but some of the stuff our own away support has come out with this season has been absolutely embarrassing.

Logie Green
27-02-2022, 09:02 PM
Why? :confused:

It's like Rangers or Celtic booing Flower of Scotland. Weird.

I think Liverpool supporters boo God Save The Queen because they don’t like the royal family and what they stand for. That’s why I don’t have a problem with it. Each to their own though.

Lancs Harp
27-02-2022, 09:06 PM
I think Liverpool supporters boo God Save The Queen because they don’t like the royal family and what they stand for. That’s why I don’t have a problem with it. Each to their own though.

this. Liverpool fans have historically booed QSTQ. Nothing new today.

The Modfather
27-02-2022, 09:09 PM
did Hibs publicly call out their own fans for desecrating the memory of the Lisbon Lions and Walter Smith recently? Should we be denied an allocation (as small as it is) for Celtic park and ibrox?

No whataboutery here, Celtic fans are erseholes of the highest degree without a smidgen of common sense or self awareness but some of the stuff our own away support has come out with this season has been absolutely embarrassing.

Hibs definitely should have, and should always do, call out anything unacceptable that comes from the Hibs support IMO.

It would be unfair but a precedent has to be set somewhere. If it was Hibs fans getting called out or allocations reduced etc for something we did, a minority or not, I’d support it. A precedent needs set somewhere somehow. Strict liability is the way forward, but there’s no appetite for it. All clubs, including Hibs, view things out of self interest and not the greater good.

27-02-2022, 09:14 PM
The FM should be saying something about this but won’t, she will have learned from Salmond when he said he would eradicate sectarian singing from football grounds, and here we are still moaning about it, Police Scotland need to do more rather than just stand there and watch them sing there crap, surely they are committing a breach of the peace.

Totally agree that way more needs to be done but what exactly are the police meant to do? Arrest an entire stand of people. If its just a small minority of individuals shouting/chanting then aye its easy to chuck them out but with the OF its pretty much all of them. This "it's only a minority" line that the OF like to spout out is a load of utter crap and fine well they know it.

JimBHibees
27-02-2022, 09:28 PM

Spot on that would be front page news in the weegie rags for sure.

Ryan91
27-02-2022, 10:23 PM

Hearts done it and seemed to manage. Maybe time we started to fill the stadium with our own supporters and not rely on money from they tramps

Would be interesting to get a breakdown of how much we make in gate receipts for the visits of Celtic and Rangers, and how much additional money the club spends on policing and additional stewarding for such matches. Wonder if a similar profit might be made if their allocation were reduced and as a result the club spent less money for stewards and police?

silverhibee
27-02-2022, 10:32 PM
Totally agree that way more needs to be done but what exactly are the police meant to do? Arrest an entire stand of people. If its just a small minority of individuals shouting/chanting then aye its easy to chuck them out but with the OF its pretty much all of them. This "it's only a minority" line that the OF like to spout out is a load of utter crap and fine well they know it.

Snatch squads, identify who are being detained then move in arrest them and throw them in the back of a police, and repeat until they get the message.

Brizo
28-02-2022, 06:52 AM
Snatch squads, identify who are being detained then move in arrest them and throw them in the back of a police, and repeat until they get the message.

That would require a type of policing and type of policeperson we haven't had for probably 30 years. The days of the Police having the willingness or capability to wade into a crowd as they did decades ago are long gone.

Celtic fans back to their 1970s/ 1980s worst yesterday. They had gotten rid of the most blatant IRA stuff for a while but their Boards unwillingness/inability to "police" the Green Brigade has seen it all come back. Behaviour that is as utterly bizarre as it is offensive, given they are promoting a cause that has been given up by the vast majority in Ireland.

AndyM_1875
28-02-2022, 07:56 AM
Most fenians were not Catholic either. The polarisation of the situation in Ireland is a modern twists. Very few leaders of any uprising in Ireland were Catholic. The issue there was you were “church of Ireland” or a dissenter. Being a dissenter made you liable to the penal laws and people in that position were prone to rebel against the injustice of it. Nothing so simple as Catholic v Protestant

I genuinely knew nothing of that. I have very little clue about Irish or NI Politics.

As fully paid up HibsDad who followed the club in the early to mid 80s and on I have been called a "Fenian b" by Rangers fans and an "Orange b" by Celtic fans. As someone who is not religious this often left me somewhat bemused.

GreenCastle
28-02-2022, 08:02 AM
Like every other time we play the bigots - you will get a thread moaning on here - a few good ideas what should done and nothing done by the authorities or Hibs.

You can guess the threads that are started after every time we play either team - so predictable what will happen and non existent outcome.

gbhibby
28-02-2022, 08:50 AM
Nothing will change as long as TV SPFL et al are making money from the bigot brothers. You hear Tv presenters and YouTubers going on about the amazing atmosphere but they never mention the bigotry.
Thought we were going to get rid of them to England a few years ago, unfortunately did not happen.

BegbieHSC
28-02-2022, 09:15 AM
Coming from an Irish catholic family, it’s a bit of an insult that Celtic fans think the only way to celebrate Irish identity is to sing songs about terrorist organisations.

They call us soup takers and sell outs for not singing it and condemning it, but I suppose they don’t think there’s any more to Ireland than the pish they spout, given the closest the majority have ever been to Ireland is Greenock . Celtic can gtf.

LunasBoots
28-02-2022, 09:17 AM
That would require a type of policing and type of policeperson we haven't had for probably 30 years. The days of the Police having the willingness or capability to wade into a crowd as they did decades ago are long gone.

Celtic fans back to their 1970s/ 1980s worst yesterday. They had gotten rid of the most blatant IRA stuff for a while but their Boards unwillingness/inability to "police" the Green Brigade has seen it all come back. Behaviour that is as utterly bizarre as it is offensive, given they are promoting a cause that has been given up by the vast majority in Ireland.

Think the board tried to deal with it recently with a security officer or something similar (Higgins I think it was), the fans repelled against it and the club shat it.

Pagan Hibernia
28-02-2022, 09:22 AM
Coming from an Irish catholic family, it’s a bit of an insult that Celtic fans think the only way to celebrate Irish identity is to sing songs about terrorist organisations.

They call us soup takers and sell outs for not singing it and condemning it, but I suppose they don’t think there’s any more to Ireland than the pish they spout, given the closest the majority have ever been to Ireland is Greenock . Celtic can gtf.

by their warped logic, about 99% of the population of the island of Ireland are sellouts and souptakers. Because that’s about how many who no longer (or never did) see the armed struggle as legitimate.

black and white ideology. Very dangerous.

I regularly go to watch Sligo Rovers (Sligo is the home county of their very own Brother Walfrid) and have been to nearly every League of Ireland ground in the country and I have never once heard ‘Up the Ra’ or any of that pish at those matches. Celtic fans are so pathetic. Try-hard plastic paddys.

gbhibby
28-02-2022, 09:31 AM

But they will say one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Hibs fans have moved on from the Irish thing and want nothing to do with being seen as so called brothers from the East etc.

Hibernia&Alba
28-02-2022, 09:33 AM

And sell outs to what exactly? It really is pathetic from them. It's 2022 and I would guess the majority of Hibs fans aren't Catholic, perhaps are not even of Irish descent. Many will have little to no interest in Irish history, yet they're supposed to demonstrate their staunchness by singing about the IRA because they support Hibs? It makes no sense. As I said earlier in the thread, I find it cringeworthy to see grown men singing about Irish paramilitary organisations at a Scottish football match. It adds nothing to what is a serious subject. Football stadia are not the place to discuss such matters. Nobody needs to sign up to particular views on religious and political matters to support the club, which is how it should be. The moment such criteria are introduced, you end up with the kind of exclusivity the Old Firm practice.

Bushwoof
28-02-2022, 09:51 AM
It would have helped stop it if the polis had taken out the guy with the drum. He couldn't have claimed he wasn't involved.

Apart from that, we know the 2 cheeks are going to sing that guff when they come to ER, so we should have a song ready in response. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a better idea, but something along the lines of (to the tune of GGTTH):

Can't you sing about the football?
Try and sing about the football
You dirty Weegie ****

Might work

JeMeSouviens
28-02-2022, 10:01 AM
They really need to move on.

The IRA are administering the UK government in [N/n]orthern Ireland* these days. The uber-Irish Celts are the only people who sing the Irish national anthem in English, the language of the "occupying power". They can't even pronounce (or spell) their own name, ffs. Gaelic has no soft 'C'.

There are decent, reasonable Celtc fans, but the "Green Brigade" types are weirdos.

* delete to taste.

The Harp Awakes
28-02-2022, 10:23 AM
They really need to move on.

The IRA are administering the UK government in [N/n]orthern Ireland* these days. The uber-Irish Celts are the only people who sing the Irish national anthem in English, the language of the "occupying power". They can't even pronounce (or spell) their own name, ffs. Gaelic has no soft 'C'.

There are decent, reasonable Celtc fans, but the "Green Brigade" types are weirdos.

* delete to taste.

Bang on. I can remember Hibs fans singing it in the 70s & 80s, but that was at a time when there was still a lot of bother in Northern Ireland and tensions were high. That was a completely different era and thankfully Hibs fans have moved on, as has Northern Ireland.

I have more Irish blood than Scots and would love to see a united Ireland one day. Most of the Irish people I know would want the same, but I also know that most would have no time for the p1sh which Celtic fans blurted out yesterday.

CentreLine
28-02-2022, 10:32 AM
I genuinely knew nothing of that. I have very little clue about Irish or NI Politics.

As fully paid up HibsDad who followed the club in the early to mid 80s and on I have been called a "Fenian b" by Rangers fans and an "Orange b" by Celtic fans. As someone who is not religious this often left me somewhat bemused.

That is more or less the level most people are at, especially the ones who use these terms and think it’s acceptable. Incidentally, many people these days represent the Jacobite risings as a catholic/Protestant conflict. It fits an agenda. The fact is that less than one in five Jacobites were catholic. The king they wanted to restore to the throne was catholic but they wanted that because they were loyal to the man they saw as their legitimate king, not because of his religion.
One of the first people to sign the protestant covenant in 1638 was the Duke of Montrose. A committed Protestant but he led the army loyal to King Charles I in Scotland.

The Masonic Lodge (no I’m not) is not an anti catholic organisation either. In fact Catholics are welcome to join.
However, the Orange Lodge is specifically and very firmly an anti catholic, bigoted organisation.

Carheenlea
28-02-2022, 11:15 AM
It would have helped stop it if the polis had taken out the guy with the drum. He couldn't have claimed he wasn't involved.

Apart from that, we know the 2 cheeks are going to sing that guff when they come to ER, so we should have a song ready in response. I'm sure someone will be able to come up with a better idea, but something along the lines of (to the tune of GGTTH):

Try and sing about the football
You dirty Weegie ****

Might work

Maybe we should learn the words and sing the Irish National Anthem in Gaelic like true republicans. Would be one in the eye for the Celtic plastics :na na:

Carheenlea
28-02-2022, 11:20 AM

You’re not religious, but have received religious abuse by people who will not actually be religious.

Welcome to Scotland.

overdrive
28-02-2022, 11:32 AM
There were a few cars driving up Leith Walk after the game with their windows down and the occupants all singing it as well. God knows how they got there by that point... must have left early.

There was also a Celtic who came up to me in Waverley Mall afterwards screaming that Hibs (the club and their fans) pay off referees against Celtic and that Lewis Stevenson is a thug :dunno:. He wasn't best pleased when I told him it was more likely the other way round re the paying off refs.

The scary thing is, there's some otherwise intelligent Celtic fans who genuinely believe the IRA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My ex is a primary teacher and had some colleagues over after a work night out. One guy who was a Celtic fan started ranting about how the IRA is the greatest organisation to ever exist and that if he had been older he'd have been in it, etc. and that it was perfectly acceptable for innocent people to die/be injured in their attacks. Turned out he was also teaching the kids rebel songs - at a school with a large chunk of pupils from military families.

What was that big tri-colour that they were flying in the South Lower all about? It looked like every moth in Scotland had feasted on it.

Pagan Hibernia
28-02-2022, 11:40 AM
There were a few cars driving up Leith Walk after the game with their windows down and the occupants all singing it as well. God knows how they got there by that point... must have left early.

There was also a Celtic who came up to me in Waverley Mall afterwards screaming that Hibs (the club and their fans) pay off referees against Celtic and that Lewis Stevenson is a thug :dunno:. He wasn't best pleased when I told him it was more likely the other way round re the paying off refs.

The scary thing is, there's some otherwise intelligent Celtic fans who genuinely believe the IRA is the greatest thing since sliced bread. My ex is a primary teacher and had some colleagues over after a work night out. One guy who was a Celtic fan started ranting about how the IRA is the greatest organisation to ever exist and that if he had been older he'd have been in it, etc. and that it was perfectly acceptable for innocent people to die/be injured in their attacks. Turned out he was also teaching the kids rebel songs - at a school with a large chunk of pupils from military families.

What was that big tri-colour that they were flying in the South Lower all about? It looked like every moth in Scotland had feasted on it.

Thanks for posting this. It was a dour, depressing Monday at work before that gave me the good laugh I needed.

they tried to kick us off the pitch yesterday and we still ended up with more yellow cards

Carheenlea
28-02-2022, 11:42 AM

That guy fits the bill perfectly of the type that the IRA would immediately send home from a recruiting meeting after being deemed wholly unsuitable for active service.

Hibby70
28-02-2022, 11:45 AM
What amazed me was the fact that in between twirling it they were allowed to have it resting on the advertising hoarding with the end of the pole practically pointing into the pitch.

Police / Stewards turning a blind eye to these Muppets where fans from other clubs would be dealt with.

Try taking a similar sized flag to Ibrox or Parkhead and youdd get nowhere near the turnstile

KeithTheHibby
28-02-2022, 12:17 PM
Nothing will change as long as TV SPFL et al are making money from the bigot brothers. You hear Tv presenters and YouTubers going on about the amazing atmosphere but they never mention the bigotry.
Thought we were going to get rid of them to England a few years ago, unfortunately did not happen.

England, and the EPL don't want them or need them because of the baggage their ****my fans bring.

AndyM_1875
28-02-2022, 12:45 PM
You’re not religious, but have received religious abuse by people who will not actually be religious.

Welcome to Scotland.

I think you are right.
The Old Firm are a very odd bunch. For a number of years I thought they were improving but in truth it really all was lip service and gesture politics.
Every day I am happy I follow neither of these idiots and support the club that was my local club as a boy.

hibbyfraelibby
28-02-2022, 12:55 PM

You have to be making this up...nothing drives up Leith Walk these days it just sits in gridlocked traffic😉

gbhibby
28-02-2022, 01:10 PM
England, and the EPL don't want them or need them because of the baggage their ****my fans bring.

We lived in hope and we live in hope that it may happen🙏🙏🙏🙏

gbhibby
28-02-2022, 01:23 PM
Maybe we should learn the words and sing the Irish National Anthem in Gaelic like true republicans. Would be one in the eye for the Celtic plastics :na na:
That would get the same reaction from their fans as we got from the The Rangers fans when we sung" We are the pepul"
🤣

Keith_M
28-02-2022, 01:28 PM
That would get the same reaction from their fans as we got from the The Rangers fans when we sung" We are the pepul"
🤣

How about we chant 'We Are The Papal'?

That would really wind them up. :wink:

The Harp Awakes
28-02-2022, 01:31 PM

Grace sung in Irish is the bees knees. It would bring a tear to a glass eye.

Bushwoof
28-02-2022, 01:41 PM

Funny enough a pasty paced ned was singing it to himself on ER on the way to the game. I thought it was a bit odd, not having heard it from that lot for a while. It's almost as if there was an organised effort to make it the song of the day.

gbhibby
28-02-2022, 04:08 PM
Grace sung in Irish is the bees knees. It would bring a tear to a glass eye.
Heard it described as a rebel song by a certain group of fans. Rod Stewart's version is very good.

Hibiza
28-02-2022, 04:39 PM

😂😂😂

Logie Green
28-02-2022, 05:39 PM

Do you know that The Rangers are the only club in Scotland who don’t accept payment by PayPal?....

gbhibby
28-02-2022, 05:45 PM
Do you know that The Rangers are the only club in Scotland who don’t accept payment by PayPal?....

🤣🤣🤣

The Keeper
28-02-2022, 06:03 PM
:not worth

Keith_M
28-02-2022, 06:44 PM

:top marks

CentreLine
28-02-2022, 07:24 PM

They have quite a way with insults. The soup takers were the dissenters that were starved in to submission during the great famine and agreed to convert to Church of Ireland in return for food. Again, they make the mistake of thinking this only applicable to Catholics.

Kato
28-02-2022, 07:32 PM

Welcome to Scotland.As a collective The stickies are least Christian grouping in the country.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Kato
28-02-2022, 07:33 PM
They have quite a way with insults. The soup takers were the dissenters that were starved in to submission during the great famine and agreed to convert to Church of Ireland in return for food. Again, they make the mistake of thinking this only applicable to Catholics.Using past miseries which they never suffered as an insult to people they have no clue about. Weirdos.

I like soup BTW.

CentreLine
28-02-2022, 07:45 PM
Using past miseries which they never suffered as an insult to people they have no clue about. Weirdos.

I like soup BTW.

Yeh, me too. They are unfathomable, aren’t they? 🙄

Aldo
28-02-2022, 08:17 PM
What amazed me was the fact that in between twirling it they were allowed to have it resting on the advertising hoarding with the end of the pole practically pointing into the pitch.

Police / Stewards turning a blind eye to these Muppets where fans from other clubs would be dealt with.

Try taking a similar sized flag to Ibrox or Parkhead and youdd get nowhere near the turnstile

It’s not just that. On a weekly basis 50/60,000 fans sing their sectarian bile yet nothing is ever done or said about it in Scotland by any of the authorities!

UEFA did fine them and reduce the capacity for singing those songs however why where they the only authorities to take action??

This will never ever go away and I that’s made until both clubs denounce this and action is taken!

We all know that that won’t and never will happen though!

LunasBoots
28-02-2022, 08:33 PM
It’s not just that. On a weekly basis 50/60,000 fans sing their sectarian bile yet nothing is ever done or said about it in Scotland by any of the authorities!

UEFA did fine them and reduce the capacity for singing those songs however why where they the only authorities to take action??

This will never ever go away and I that’s made until both clubs denounce this and action is taken!

We all know that that won’t and never will happen though!

Even UEFA aren't consistent enough, warned and fined Rangers on countless occasions for example but lately against Dortmund they have got away with discriminatory chanting during those two matches

Keith_M
01-03-2022, 07:07 AM
Stil waiting to hear anything about this from, well, anybody.

Come on Hibs, show some ****ing balls for once and call them out!!

Maybe it's time we all started making our feelings known directly to the club, and everybody else.

Brightside
01-03-2022, 07:09 AM

Correct. It’s ignored by everyone.

Sir David Gray
01-03-2022, 07:11 AM

I think you'll be waiting a while, sadly.

Hibs, along with every other club in Scotland, seem happy to take the money from Rangers and Celtic fans in return for keeping silent against their bigotry.

It's unfortunate but I don't see it changing any time soon.

Keith_M
01-03-2022, 07:23 AM
Correct. It’s ignored by everyone.

I think you'll be waiting a while, sadly.

Hibs, along with every other club in Scotland, seem happy to take the money from Rangers and Celtic fans in return for keeping silent against their bigotry.

It's unfortunate but I don't see it changing any time soon.

I agree, and that's why I've decided to stop just whingeing about it on here and contact the club directly, to ask what action they're going to take.

I honestly don't give a **** if anybody thinks I'm nuts for wanting something done (maybe I am), I'm no longer keeping quiet.

Brightside
01-03-2022, 07:28 AM
I agree, and that's why I've decided to stop just whingeing about it on here and contact the club directly, to ask what action they're going to take.

I honestly don't give a **** if anybody thinks I'm nuts for wanting something done (maybe I am), I'm no longer keeping quiet.

You are correct. We asked the police at the game and they said it was a security manner. Same when we got Celtic fans chucked out the stand. “It’s up to security”. Not sure why the police even bother. Oh and all the police were from the West.

GreenCastle
01-03-2022, 08:45 AM
Maybe even a simple message on big screens.

No to Bigotry/ Sectarian singing.

GreenCastle
01-03-2022, 08:48 AM

Maybe it's time we all started making our feelings known directly to the club, and everybody else.

Think fans are already just not turning up to these games as they can’t be arsed with the nonsense the Glasgow teams bring. Not ideal as doesn’t help Hibs but until the club act and actually stop let away fans taking the piss with the over crowding / flags / pitch invasions and non football related songs.

I would expect KP to be feeding back on this type of issue as fans liaison. The crowd control and flags can be quickly fixed.

.Sean.
01-03-2022, 08:57 AM

Well played 👏🏼

Antifa Hibs
01-03-2022, 08:58 AM

What action do you expect Hibs to take?

Then tit for tat what action should Celtic take with the Hibs travelling support singing about the lisbon lions?

Aldo
01-03-2022, 09:18 AM
You are correct. We asked the police at the game and they said it was a security manner. Same when we got Celtic fans chucked out the stand. “It’s up to security”. Not sure why the police even bother. Oh and all the police were from the West.

I find that pretty galling tbh but not unexpected!

This singing should be in both the SPFL Delegates report and any police commanders log.

I’ve mentioned before but this isn’t going away anytime soon until the clubs involved denounce this type of singing/behaviour and the SPFL and other clubs stand up to it too! Again this will never happen.

I and it’s clear whilst watching it live the TV companies silence their pitch side mikes to try and cover it up!

The Modfather
01-03-2022, 09:20 AM

Then tit for tat what action should Celtic take with the Hibs travelling support singing about the lisbon lions?

Call it out. Same as they should call out any Hibs fans singing unacceptable songs and also look to identify and ban those Hibs fans. Tit for tat and whataboutery are main reasons why sectarianism is never properly discussed or addressed.

Coco Bryce
01-03-2022, 09:24 AM
Hibs TV should put mics in that stand and record these songs. Then plaster them all over social media.

LunasBoots
01-03-2022, 09:26 AM

Any Hibs fan singing about the Lisbon lions should be banned same with any other over the top horrible songs.

LunasBoots
01-03-2022, 09:29 AM

Police in Aberdeen recently have been making a lot more arrests for things like pyro and discriminatory singing when Rangers and Celtic come to town, sadly police that come here mainly seem to be west coast lot that more or less don't seem to have a problem with pro IRA or Irish racism or even the pyro displays we've had to put up with in recent times

Dashing Bob S
01-03-2022, 09:40 AM
I reckon if we banned OF fans from ER the uptake in the number of Hibs fans showing up would compensate.

Pagan Hibernia
01-03-2022, 09:56 AM
Hibs TV should put mics in that stand and record these songs. Then plaster them all over social media.

you think that would embarrass or shame Celtic fans? They’re proud of those songs! They don’t see any problem with them.

Hibby70
01-03-2022, 10:43 AM
I'd ban both of them - then charge Hibs fans £10 for tickets in that end. Yes we'll make a loss compared to normal but I think it's worth it to make a stand against bigotry.

Sir David Gray
01-03-2022, 12:31 PM

I'd expect Hibs to issue a warning to both clubs that if chants like the one we heard repeatedly on Sunday continue inside Easter Road then Hibs will be prepared to cut the allocation for both Celtic and Rangers to the bare minimum.

If Hibs fans then sing songs about the Lisbon Lions or Fernando Ricksen at Parkhead and Ibrox, I'd expect Celtic and Rangers to come out with a similar type of condemnatory statement.

The only difference might be that they possibly can't give us any less tickets for Parkhead and Ibrox than they already do so it may not have much of an impact but I'd still expect them to call it out as those chants have as much of a place inside a football stadium as "ooh ahh up the ra" does.

silverhibee
01-03-2022, 01:00 PM

It was only a few weeks a go that the police waded in to the green brigade during the game against Bodo, also went in to the crowd at Tynecastle to remove celtc supporters from the home end, it can be done seen it many times at games home and away, record them to have the evidence then go in and arrest them, it’s that simple, and not a peep from UEFA regards the behaviour at the Bodo game where flares were set of and police and stewards having stuff thrown at them, also the ira chanting that night as well, if our FM can get involved regards one players involvement with signing for a club she should be screaming from the rooftops about the behaviour from celtc and the rangers ultra groups, a embarrassment to Scottish football and our country as well.

silverhibee
01-03-2022, 01:11 PM
Call it out. Same as they should call out any Hibs fans singing unacceptable songs and also look to identify and ban those Hibs fans. Tit for tat and whataboutery are main reasons why sectarianism is never properly discussed or addressed.

Yip, Leeann was quick enough to have a go at our fans for misbehaving inside the ground, time for our club to start issuing statements that these kind of songs are not welcome at ER and they hope the police (who we pay for on the day) start doing their job and remove people from the ground if they are caught singing there bile.

Cat Stanton
01-03-2022, 01:14 PM
I reckon if we banned OF fans from ER the uptake in the number of Hibs fans showing up would compensate.

Possibly true. I would never take my kids - when they were younger - to a game involving either of them. But I would have done if I'd known it was safe (ie bigot-free) to do so.

Aldo
01-03-2022, 02:17 PM
Yip, Leeann was quick enough to have a go at our fans for misbehaving inside the ground, time for our club to start issuing statements that these kind of songs are not welcome at ER and they hope the police (who we pay for on the day) start doing their job and remove people from the ground if they are caught singing there bile.

Unless there is disorder the Police will not go anywhere near that Silver.

They do and will however have the means to record this. Handheld cameras or indeed body cameras. Shouldn’t be difficult to identify whose responsibility.

They all constantly go on about this type of singing etc however nothing gets done by anyone and that includes Hibs.

Like you say, make it clear that sort of behaviour isn’t acceptable and if it continues you get your allocation cut!

hibby rae
14-03-2022, 08:10 PM
At it again at Tannadice. Very audible on tv

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2022, 08:16 PM
Possibly true. I would never take my kids - when they were younger - to a game involving either of them. But I would have done if I'd known it was safe (ie bigot-free) to do so.

I would never take children to an OF game. I wasn’t allowed to go to any as a kid. I was told this was because these clubs ‘had nothing to do with football.’

LunasBoots
14-03-2022, 08:27 PM

Shouldn't be hard to identify with police filming them at the bottom of the GB section.

Pagan Hibernia
14-03-2022, 08:30 PM
If the huns live in the 1690s then this lot live in the 1970s.

both of them live in the past.

cameronw-hfc
14-03-2022, 09:17 PM
I mind I posted on Twitter about it and got hounded by Hibs fans telling me we need to learn to support our heritage. Got absolutely rinsed as well, you'd think I was in the wrong for criticising IRA songs. Weirdos

percy veer
14-03-2022, 09:25 PM

Does it really bother people that much? I couldn't care less to be honest, why get your self worked up about a song.

Stokesy's on fire
14-03-2022, 09:45 PM
Does it really bother people that much? I couldn't care less to be honest, why get your self worked up about a song.

Doesnt bother me but you do look at the Glasgow sisters and think what the......

Pagan Hibernia
14-03-2022, 10:34 PM
I mind I posted on Twitter about it and got hounded by Hibs fans telling me we need to learn to support our heritage. Got absolutely rinsed as well, you'd think I was in the wrong for criticising IRA songs. Weirdos

the trick is to learn how to differentiate between Irishness and republican terrorism. It’s a pretty simple concept but it seems to be beyond a hell of a lot of people.

cameronw-hfc
14-03-2022, 10:47 PM
the trick is to learn how to differentiate between Irishness and republican terrorism. It’s a pretty simple concept but it seems to be beyond a hell of a lot of people.

Funnily that was effectively my comment. Someone posted about it, I replied saying we should embrace more of our Irish culture but there's a difference between embracing culture and supporting the IRA vocally and got absolutely slated.

Not even sure it's beyond them, they just chose to see it the way they do.

Carheenlea
14-03-2022, 11:07 PM
Funnily that was effectively my comment. Someone posted about it, I replied saying we should embrace more of our Irish culture but there's a difference between embracing culture and supporting the IRA vocally and got absolutely slated.

What more do you want us to do? I think we've got it just right and reflects the evolvement of the club without ignoring those who formed our beloved club.

Im not Irish myself, but married to a Irish woman and now have a very large extended Irish family. Travel over for three holidays a year and have done for about 15 years. At no point watching Hibs most weeks though has my mind ever drifted towards anything to do with Ireland.

cameronw-hfc
14-03-2022, 11:16 PM
What more do you want us to do? I think we've got it just right and reflects the evolvement of the club without ignoring those who formed our beloved club.

Im not Irish myself, but married to a Irish woman and now have a very large extended Irish family. Travel over for three holidays a year and have done for about 15 years. At no point watching Hibs most weeks though has my mind ever drifted towards anything to do with Ireland.

The comment thread im referring to was an argument between people saying we don't embrace it enough on twitter. I was saying we should, but we need to differentiate between the IRA and our Irish heritage. Wasn't a dig at the club, might have worded my replies poorly.

I don't know what we should do, it's not my job to decide, my point was there's a lot of fans that seem to embrace the IRA as if it's Irish culture, and it isn't. Hibs are a club with Irish roots and we shouldn't be scared of hiding it, but singing IRA songs, like Celtic and the odd idiots from our crowd isn't embracing Irish roots.

Kato
14-03-2022, 11:22 PM
I mind I posted on Twitter about it and got hounded by Hibs fans telling me we need to learn to support our heritage. Got absolutely rinsed as well, you'd think I was in the wrong for criticising IRA songs. WeirdosYou can celebrate Irish history and make no mention of violence or terrorism or the IRA. Celtc's obsession with a thin sliver of Irelands history shows how much they mirror the Huns. Because on lot goes there the other lot just have to.

The Baldmans Comb
14-03-2022, 11:26 PM
So many of the Celtic repertoire comes from the Irish Wars of Independence in the early part of the 20th century and given that Ireland having freed itself from the British and has become one of the most respected (and richest) countries in the world then I have absolutely no problem with the songs.

However they have absolutely no place at a Scottish football match and are sung out of blind ignorance in order to offend and annoy in a laughable attempt to try to cling on to a culture that actually despises them far more than they realize and has moved on to a completely different level both politically and socially.

cameronw-hfc
14-03-2022, 11:41 PM
So many of the Celtic repertoire comes from the Irish Wars of Independence in the early part of the 20th century and given that Ireland having freed itself from the British and has become one of the most respected (and richest) countries in the world then I have absolutely no problem with the songs.

However they have absolutely no place at a Scottish football match and are sung out of blind ignorance in order to offend and annoy in a laughable attempt to try to cling on to a culture that actually despises them far more than they realize and has moved to a completely different level both politically and socially.

This is pretty much the point was trying to make, only you've done it way more eloquently than I did haha.

hibby rae
15-03-2022, 07:59 AM
I met a Celtic supporter once claiming 'I'm a Provo'.

So I asked why that faction? Why not the Official or Continuity or Real IRA? Obvs had no answer and was an ********.

JeMeSouviens
15-03-2022, 01:09 PM
Good news everybody!

Apparently the Celtc support have crossed the line from militant republicanism to naked sectarianism:

https://twitter.com/JimSpenceDundee/status/1503633499940601860

So no need for arguments on here anymore, we can all get behind calling them ********s. :greengrin

Actually, on a slightly more serious note, it seems to be a manifestation of exactly the same sort of silly-wee-fanny culture that's infecting our support. Kids these days. :rolleyes:

WeeRussell
15-03-2022, 01:58 PM

I don’t think the club or ‘normal’ fans need to embrace anything anymore than they already do.

All the clubs who were founded purely by Scots, in Scotland don’t feel the need to sing flower of Scotland, or songs about jacobites every week and wave saltires etc.

We are hibs. We sing Hibs songs. That’s the way it should be in my opinion.

I completely agree with your main point though. There is a difference and any fans singing about the IRA, whether Celtic, hibs or anyone else, are (in my humble opinion) utter fuds.

Pagan Hibernia
15-03-2022, 04:39 PM
Good news everybody!

Apparently the Celtc support have crossed the line from militant republicanism to naked sectarianism:

https://twitter.com/JimSpenceDundee/status/1503633499940601860

So no need for arguments on here anymore, we can all get behind calling them ********s. :greengrin

Actually, on a slightly more serious note, it seems to be a manifestation of exactly the same sort of silly-wee-fanny culture that's infecting our support. Kids these days. :rolleyes:

that thread is hilarious. You’ve got Celtic fans doing mental gymnastics trying to explain why these songs don’t count as sectarian, while others have just gone for the easy whataboutery “but..but..but.. do you not hear what the huns sing?”

in fairness, there’s a few that are also disgusted with them. I don’t want to be associated with the wee fannys that have crept into our support any more than they want to be associated with sectarian d***heads

Sir David Gray
15-03-2022, 05:10 PM
that thread is hilarious. You’ve got Celtic fans doing mental gymnastics trying to explain why these songs don’t count as sectarian, while others have just gone for the easy whataboutery “but..but..but.. do you not hear what the huns sing?”

in fairness, there’s a few that are also disgusted with them. I don’t want to be associated with the wee fannys that have crept into our support any more than they want to be associated with sectarian d***heads

Just seen loads of them on Twitter pile into one of their own who had the audacity to criticise the IRA songs last night - loads of them telling the guy he should "**** off to Easter Road with the rest of the soup takers" - whatever that means. 🤷

Pagan Hibernia
15-03-2022, 05:36 PM
Just seen loads of them on Twitter pile into one of their own who had the audacity to criticise the IRA songs last night - loads of them telling the guy he should "**** off to Easter Road with the rest of the soup takers" - whatever that means. 🤷

im partial to a hot bowl of broth in winter, I have to admit

CentreLine
15-03-2022, 06:28 PM

Explained that earlier in the thread. It’s just one in a long line of extraordinary insults dreamt up by dafties. During the famine, which affected people of all religions who were not Church of Ireland Protestant, people, on the edge of death by starvation could receive relief and food from the church of Ireland on condition that they converted to that specific form of Protestantism. Many chose that route to save their own lives and those of their families. Fantastic thing to poke criticism at 🙄. This was not about Catholics specifically but about all other forms of Christians who chose not to conform to Church of Ireland. They weee called dissenters and all subject to the Penal Laws as a result.

JeMeSouviens
15-03-2022, 06:31 PM

Welcome to the surreal world of the ultra-Irish :greengrin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souperism

Sir David Gray
15-03-2022, 06:31 PM
Explained that earlier in the thread. It’s just one in a long line of extraordinary insults dreamt up by dafties. During the famine, which affected people of all religions who were not Church of Ireland Protestant, people, on the edge of death by starvation could receive relief and food from the church of Ireland on condition that they converted to that specific form of Protestantism. Many chose that route to save their own lives and those of their families. Fantastic thing to poke criticism at 🙄. This was not about Catholics specifically but about all other forms of Christians who chose not to conform to Chirch of Ireland. They weee called dissenters and all subject to the Penal Laws as a result.

Cheers, must have missed that.

I was quite glad that I was blissfully unaware of what they were talking about to be honest.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2022, 06:35 PM
Welcome to the surreal world of the ultra-Irish :greengrin

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souperism

Thanks, I'm so glad we don't, in the main, get involved in any of that nonsense and if that makes me a "soup taker" in the eyes of some Celtic fans then so be it.

Pagan Hibernia
15-03-2022, 09:26 PM
Explained that earlier in the thread. It’s just one in a long line of extraordinary insults dreamt up by dafties. During the famine, which affected people of all religions who were not Church of Ireland Protestant, people, on the edge of death by starvation could receive relief and food from the church of Ireland on condition that they converted to that specific form of Protestantism. Many chose that route to save their own lives and those of their families. Fantastic thing to poke criticism at 🙄. This was not about Catholics specifically but about all other forms of Christians who chose not to conform to Church of Ireland. They weee called dissenters and all subject to the Penal Laws as a result.

they really are either completely clueless or devoid of any class or decency.

green leaves
15-03-2022, 09:37 PM
Given the Rampant capitalism of the tribute acts board,tory peers,tory donors and unionist loving Labour politicians I'd say they down soup by the gallon.
Really pisses them off.if you call them bhroth bhoys

vuefrom1875
16-03-2022, 12:01 AM
Given the Rampant capitalism of the tribute acts board,tory peers,tory donors and unionist loving Labour politicians I'd say they down soup by the gallon.
Really pisses them off.if you call them bhroth bhoys
And your point is🥱

Keith_M
16-03-2022, 10:14 AM
:greengrin

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/webimg/b25lY21zOjEwMDQ4YmRlLTE2ODQtNDg5Yy04NGQ3LTc4MDY4MD YxZmY5Yjo1MTAyM2YzMi04MTNlLTQzOWMtOTBkYS0yMjllZDdk MDMwZjY=.jpg?width=640