PDA

View Full Version : Poland and refuses to play Russia

PatHead
26-02-2022, 09:23 AM
Good on them refusing to play the World Cup play off. I hope FIFA back them.

James Stephen
26-02-2022, 09:27 AM
Good on them refusing to play the World Cup play off. I hope FIFA back them.

Agreed, well done Poland.

Id like to see Scotland forfeit against Ukraine and let them have a free pass to the world cup also.

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2022, 09:27 AM

Id like to see Scotland forfeit against Ukraine and let them have a free pass to the world cup also.

...Another way for us not to qualify. Brilliant 😂

It would save the moral dilemma of whether or not to go to Qatar, I suppose.

BoomtownHibees
26-02-2022, 09:28 AM

Whit?

green day
26-02-2022, 09:28 AM

Steady............

Billy Whizz
26-02-2022, 09:30 AM

Silly post James, it’s not Scotland’s fault

Sir David Gray
26-02-2022, 09:30 AM

That would be a step too far for me.

Good on Poland though - I hope they get the backing of the authorities.

Since90+2
26-02-2022, 09:31 AM
Uefa are in a difficult spot here. They won't want to be seen to punish Ukraine in anyway but there isn't really scope to postpone the game given there is another round to be played.

I think Ukraine will be made to play the game despite their domestic league being shut down.

As for Forfeiting? No chance.

JimBHibees
26-02-2022, 09:32 AM

And Ukraine would still have to get through a final

BoomtownHibees
26-02-2022, 09:33 AM
And Ukraine would still have to get through a final

Correct. So Scotland, Austria and Wales should just say “aye on you go Ukraine”. No chance

Billy Whizz
26-02-2022, 09:35 AM
Uefa are in a difficult spot here. They won't want to be seen to punish Ukraine in anyway but there isn't really scope to postpone the game given there is another round to be played.

I think Ukraine will be made to play the game despite their domestic league being shut down.
But the Ukrainian league has been suspended for 30 days, and you have to wonder if they are training anywhere, unless they have left the country
They won’t even be prepared to play Scotland on the 24th March
No idea what the authorities will do about this game, Ukraine could still be getting attacked at this time!
Draw is on 1st April as well, and all the teams will need to be in pots

vercol36
26-02-2022, 09:36 AM
This war shows up the world cup for what it really is anyway. Why are we so desperate to qualify for something built on the back of countless dead slave labourers? Qatar is a state run by despotic madmen, as is Russia.

Since90+2
26-02-2022, 09:37 AM
But the Ukrainian league has been suspended for 30 days, and you have to wonder if they are training anywhere, unless they have left the country
They won’t even be prepared to play Scotland on the 24th March
No idea what the authorities will do about this game, Ukraine could still be getting attacked at this time!
Draw is on 1st April as well, and all the teams will need to be in pots

If this was the final I think they'd just say Ukraine or Scotland in the draw, the issue is there's another round to be played after this.

JimBHibees
26-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Think Russian clubs should be kicked out of European competitions as well as getting punted from world cup

Since452
26-02-2022, 09:39 AM
Good on Poland. Russia should be ostracized from every major sporting event.

PatHead

It will be FIFA rather than Uefa surely?

PatHead
Think Russian clubs should be kicked out of European competitions as well as getting punted from world cup

Definitely

A Hi-Bee
Well done Poland, and every other country that joins with a boycott of this little man and his armies. I would like to see Russia banned from all sport, along with all the fat cat bankers, lawyers and accountants that have been washing the dirty money for them over the past 30 years, they should all be treated the same.
:thumbsup:

As for Scotland playing Ukraine, even with a war torn country I think they will still beat us. They have even more to play for now.

Since90+2
26-02-2022, 09:40 AM
It will be FIFA rather than Uefa surely?

Is it not Uefa who run the qualifications? So these games come under Uefa jurisdiction.

JimBHibees
26-02-2022, 09:40 AM
Correct. So Scotland, Austria and Wales should just say “aye on you go Ukraine”. No chance

Clearly not going to happen and neither should it

truehibernian
26-02-2022, 09:52 AM

This is exactly the stance the football authorities should take. I can understand the sentiment of forfeiting the Ukraine tie, but I’d rather the next best qualifier replace Russia in the upcoming Poland tie and we use the Ukraine game as a sign of football solidarity and support, and condemnation of Russia.

Big opportunity for our nation to stand with Ukraine under the umbrella of sport.

houstonhibbee
26-02-2022, 10:03 AM
Postpone our game until a later date for now
more important things to worry about right now

Radium
26-02-2022, 10:10 AM
If FIFA doesn’t kick Russia out of the tournament, it should be boycotted.

As has been pointed out, a novel way for Scotland not to qualify but that’s not really that important.

Cultural and sporting sanctions are needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveSo
26-02-2022, 10:22 AM
No idea how FIFA expect Ukraine to get to Glasgow to play us.
No chance of any flights leaving Kiev so the chance to play the game extremely unlikely.

Maybe a three way mini league between us, Wales and Austria where we play each other and "winner" goes through.
Same could apply to Poland, Sweden and the Czechs.

All very messy and difficult for everyone.

Allant1981
26-02-2022, 10:29 AM
Postpone our game until a later date for now
more important things to worry about right now

Cant see how that could happen when the winners need to play another game, they will have schedules that need stuck to, sounds harsh even saying that but thats the reality

A Hi-Bee
26-02-2022, 10:32 AM
No chance of any flights leaving Kiev so the chance to play the game extremely unlikely.

Maybe a three way mini league between us, Wales and Austria where we play each other and "winner" goes through.

No really very important, every sane thinking nation should have nothing at all to do with Russia, they have been financially doping and real doping sport for so long now, time to put a stop to them. If this means no game with Ukraine well so what it could be put off for another time.

mjhibby
26-02-2022, 10:35 AM

Is it really silly. I'm not all for playing in Qatar anyway and it would show solidarity with Ukraine. Good chance they will win the play off anyway but us giving up our chance is minuscule in comparison as to what Ukraine is suffering. Call me what you will but I'm all for it.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2022, 10:36 AM

Should Scotland & Scottish clubs including Hibs have been kicked out of European competition when the UK invaded Iraq?

CmoantheHibs
26-02-2022, 10:36 AM

I doubt the Ukraine team will need to fly out of Kiev. If they have to play their squad will be made up of overseas players I’d imagine. Seems ridiculous that they will be made to play given the situation. I’m not sure what the answer is other than to ban russia and any of its teams from every sport and competition worldwide. If there are any monies due to russia for any sporting events it should be put into some fund to help Ukrainians.

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Is it really silly. I'm not all for playing in Qatar anyway and it would show solidarity with Ukraine. Good chance they will win the play off anyway but us giving up our chance is minuscule in comparison as to what Ukraine is suffering. Call me what you will but I'm all for it.

If Scotland did that, the likelihood is that FIFA would see it as a political act, and sanction us accordingly.

mjhibby
26-02-2022, 10:38 AM
Well done Poland, and every other country that joins with a boycott of this little man and his armies. I would like to see Russia banned from all sport, along with all the fat cat bankers, lawyers and accountants that have been washing the dirty money for them over the past 30 years, they should all be treated the same.
:thumbsup:

As for Scotland playing Ukraine, even with a war torn country I think they will still beat us. They have even more to play for now.

I think so too. The world will be wanting them to win now. We are on a hiding to nothing.

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2022, 10:39 AM
I doubt the Ukraine team will need to fly out of Kiev. If they have to play their squad will be made up of overseas players I’d imagine. Seems ridiculous that they will be made to play given the situation. I’m not sure what the answer is other than to ban russia and any of its teams from every sport and competition worldwide. If there are any monies due to russia for any sporting events it should be put into some fund to help Ukrainians.

Most of their squad are home-based.

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2637

A Hi-Bee
Should Scotland & Scottish clubs including Hibs have been kicked out of European competition when the UK invaded Iraq?

The Iraqi's said yes, but no one heard them over the sound of the bombs and missiles dropping. Although it all ended well as Tony (Sir) Blair apologised for it all, so all's well that ends well. A lot of other European countries were part of the alliance as well, not just the UK and Septics.

truehibernian
Cant see how that could happen when the winners need to play another game, they will have schedules that need stuck to, sounds harsh even saying that but thats the reality

True but having checked, three quarters of their most recent international squad play for domestic clubs such as Dynamo, Shaktar, and Dnipro. Can’t see there being any other option but to postpone the game until they can (god willing) have a safe, healthy and prepared squad. It’s such a volatile, fluid situation and whose to say some of those players don’t take up arms - FIFA and UEFA can act now by punishing Russia and their clubs and banning them from all competitions for a long period.

mjhibby
26-02-2022, 10:41 AM
If Scotland did that, the likelihood is that FIFA would see it as a political act, and sanction us accordingly.

Really. These are extraordinary times. I wouldn't be so sure. This is unparalleled times so don't think normal rules apply. I can see how it could be perceived but each event should be taken on its merits.

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2022, 10:42 AM
Really. These are extraordinary times. I wouldn't be so sure. This is unparalleled times so don't think normal rules apply. I can see how it could be perceived but each event should be taken on its merits.

The key part of my post was "FIFA" :greengrin

mjhibby
26-02-2022, 10:43 AM
Russia should be banned from all sports competitions. Same as apartheid. Let's see how popular putin will be once they are out of sport for a sustained period of time.

Greenio
26-02-2022, 10:51 AM
I have no idea what the fair and just approach is here, but I do think we need to do everything we can to counter what Putin is doing and if we can prise open the grip he has on his country by showing them what he has cost them then I think we should. Sad state of affairs when sport becomes involved in war

lord bunberry
26-02-2022, 11:07 AM
I agree that Russia should be kicked out of all sporting events, but I’ve no idea what should happen about our game with Ukraine. Right now I’d imagine it’s the last thing on their minds but a decision will have to be made and I can’t see the game going ahead. I think everyone would rather the game was played, but under the circumstances I can’t see how that is possible. I suspect Ukraine will forfeit the game.

jacomo
26-02-2022, 11:09 AM

They are not exact parallels, appalling as that episode was.

For one thing, Ukraine has an elected government that is begging the world to sanction Russia.

Whataboutery really isn’t the right response at this time.

jacomo
26-02-2022, 11:11 AM
I agree that Russia should be kicked out of all sporting events, but I’ve no idea what should happen about our game with Ukraine. Right now I’d imagine it’s the last thing on their minds but a decision will have to be made and I can’t see the game going ahead. I think everyone would rather the game was played, but under the circumstances I can’t see how that is possible. I suspect Ukraine will forfeit the game.

I think that’s the most likely outcome.

Imo Scotland should offer to postpone it, even though it’s difficult at this stage to think when it could be played.

Prof. Shaggy
26-02-2022, 11:21 AM

For one thing, Ukraine has an elected government that is begging the world to sanction Russia.

It's not really whataboutery though is it?
It’s possible to be appalled by what's going on in Ukraine and still be gob-smacked by the sanctimonious hypocrisy of reactions to it.

scoopyboy
26-02-2022, 11:41 AM

If somebody scratches from a semi their opponents go into the final, no substitute country and no round robin.

You are right in saying messy and difficult for everyone

davhibby
26-02-2022, 11:45 AM

Imo Scotland should offer to postpone it, even though it’s difficult at this stage to think when it could be played.

There’s no time to play it any other time sadly. The only possible thing you could do is somehow turn the June Nations League game at Hampden into a game that was also the playoff tie which would probably be impossible. Then you’d still have the issue of the final being played some time in June when there’s already 4 games in that international break.

There’s then the issue that you could do all of that only for Ukraine still not to be able to play in June if things drag on. Unless there’s an unlikely peace deal in the next few weeks I think we’ll be getting a bye to the final.

He's here!
26-02-2022, 11:53 AM

I'd agree with that. Whether there will still be a nation known as Ukraine by then remains to be seen but it would be a heartening gesture for them to have representation at the World Cup.

In saying that I've got no appetite for a tournament held in Qatar in November so not really bothered about Scotland getting there.

lord bunberry
26-02-2022, 11:54 AM

I’d imagine we will offer, but as you say it will be difficult to find the time to play it. There will be a few of their team actually fighting against the Russians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oconnors_strip
26-02-2022, 12:54 PM
I’d imagine we will offer, but as you say it will be difficult to find the time to play it. There will be a few of their team actually fighting against the Russians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s what I was thinking, a few of the squad/coaches/back room staff will be defending their country and not even thinking of preparing for the game against Scotland!

Lago
26-02-2022, 01:30 PM
My thoughts exactly

whiskyhibby
26-02-2022, 01:33 PM
This is exactly the stance the football authorities should take. I can understand the sentiment of forfeiting the Ukraine tie, but I’d rather the next best qualifier replace Russia in the upcoming Poland tie and we use the Ukraine game as a sign of football solidarity and support, and condemnation of Russia.

Big opportunity for our nation to stand with Ukraine under the umbrella of sport.

UEFA is awash with Russian money, it should happen but won’t

chippy
26-02-2022, 01:40 PM

Why not just give Ukraine a bye into finals as an extra team

Betty Boop
26-02-2022, 01:51 PM
Russia should be banned from all sports competitions. Same as apartheid. Let's see how popular putin will be once they are out of sport for a sustained period of time.

In that case so should the Yanks.

CentreLine
26-02-2022, 01:53 PM

No, because it was authorised (however wrongly) by the UN

Moulin Yarns
26-02-2022, 01:59 PM
All this talk of bans etc. Do people realise the Russian State Ballet are in town at the Playhouse in March. Wolverhampton Grand Theatre has cancelled the performances there as has a theatre in Northampton.

SteveHFC
26-02-2022, 02:04 PM
Sweden saying the same.

erin go bragh
26-02-2022, 02:57 PM
Scotland imo will get a bye to the final 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
Shame for Ukraine but they have more important things to concentrate on .

Diclonius
26-02-2022, 03:32 PM
Ukraine will be asked whether they wish to forfeit. If no, I don't think it's unreasonable to suspend the tie for as long as is logistically possible.

Keith_M
26-02-2022, 03:50 PM
I'd agree with that. Whether there will still be a nation known as Ukraine by then remains to be seen but it would be a heartening gesture for them to have representation at the World Cup.

In saying that I've got no appetite for a tournament held in Qatar in November so not really bothered about Scotland getting there.

I agree with both these points.

While I'd love to finally see Scotland playing in a World Cup, I just can't get excited about the thought of them going to Qatar, for so many reasons.

Sending out a message like that to Ukraine would be a really heartening thing to do, but something the SFA would sadly never consider in a million years.

Nakedmanoncrack
26-02-2022, 04:59 PM
No, because it was authorised (however wrongly) by the UN

It was not!
The UN (the members states) were overwhelmingly opposed to the attack on Iraq, whilst the UN Security Council (the nuclear powers) did not sanction it, and the General Secretary stated that from point of view of UN Charter it was illegal.

Col2
26-02-2022, 05:34 PM
FIFA will not like being pressurized so I suspect the threat to Poland suspension will be waved in front of them and they will get a few days to change position.

Ukraine should be given as much time as they can to confirm they can make the game in original date. Right now game is on. They will be massively motivated but might be struggling re players match fit.

If they can’t make the game then they go out but at least they are given the chance to make it.

PolmontHibby
26-02-2022, 06:10 PM
It was not!
The UN (the members states) were overwhelmingly oppose,of view of UN Charter it was illegal.

I agree - a second UN Resolution was required. Shocking that no one has ever been held to account.
Personally I would have had no issue with sporting sanctions for such a UN breach against UK - would have been interesting European Championships at that time as in addition to the 5 countries that actually sent troops which included UK, Denmark and Poland others such as Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal and Turkey were all part of the coalition.

Diclonius
27-02-2022, 09:53 PM
The way things are going it looks like either FIFA kick Russia out of the 2022 WC or they win it by default.

Green Man
27-02-2022, 10:28 PM
All this talk of bans etc. Do people realise the Russian State Ballet are in town at the Playhouse in March. Wolverhampton Grand Theatre has cancelled the performances there as has a theatre in Northampton.

The Playhouse announced today that those performances have been cancelled.

ekhibee
27-02-2022, 10:40 PM

Totally agree.

Hibbyradge
27-02-2022, 10:46 PM

Along with Poland, Denmark, Australia and the USA presumably?

Brummie_Hibs
27-02-2022, 10:50 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60548685

ekhibee
27-02-2022, 10:51 PM
It was not!
The UN (the members states) were overwhelmingly opposed to the attack on Iraq, whilst the UN Security Council (the nuclear powers) did not sanction it, and the General Secretary stated that from point of view of UN Charter it was illegal.

Are Iraq in the playoffs for the World Cup?

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 10:58 PM
The way things are going it looks like either FIFA kick Russia out of the 2022 WC or they win it by default.

It would probably be a Russia - Iran final as things stand with FIFA.

Sir David Gray
27-02-2022, 11:00 PM
Are Iraq in the playoffs for the World Cup?

They're 5th in their group with 2 games left and can't qualify.

FilipinoHibs
28-02-2022, 03:18 AM
They're 5th in their group with 2 games left and can't qualify.

Iran have qualified though. Not to good on human and women's rights.

hibby rae
28-02-2022, 08:13 AM
Whatever the decision is regarding the Ukraine game, I think it would be a good gesture for all the proceeds of the match to be donated.

Caversham Green
28-02-2022, 09:15 AM

That was nearly 20 years ago and the circumstances were very different (also, it wasn't the UK that invaded Iraq, it was a coalition of countries) but if what came to light later had been known at the time then there would have been a strong case for the suspension from sporting competition of all the countries involved in the invasion. Then again if what came to light later had been widely known at the time the invasion would probably not have taken place.

We can't change the past, we can only learn from it and if any lesson has been learned from the Iraq war crimes it is that the aggressive invasion of a sovereign state should be discouraged by all possible means. Therefore IMO Russia and Belarus should become sporting pariahs until they put right the wrongs they have committed in Ukraine.

What's your opinion on both instances?

Phil MaGlass
28-02-2022, 10:38 AM
https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19957023.scottish-fa-boycott-upcoming-russia-fixtures-send-support-ukraine-ahead-world-cup-play-off/

Lago
28-02-2022, 10:41 AM
It would probably be a Russia - Iran final as things stand with FIFA.
That would pull in the advertising revenue 🤔

SteveHFC
28-02-2022, 02:16 PM
https://twitter.com/danroan/status/1498311391622713353?s=21

NEW | Understand that FIFA is in advanced talks over the full suspension of Russia until further notice.*
They are working closely with UEFA and an announcement is expected later today.

LunasBoots
28-02-2022, 03:11 PM

NEW | Understand that FIFA is in advanced talks over the full suspension of Russia until further notice.*

Good, cut anything Russia competes in sport off from the world stage.

Lendo
28-02-2022, 03:15 PM

Hahahah can’t take money out the bank, can’t buy anything, can’t travel and now that can’t even watch football.

cabbageandribs1875
28-02-2022, 03:20 PM
wonder if Russian/Belarusian athletes will be banned from competing at the Paralympics which start this friday in Beijing

Ukraine crisis: Fifa to suspend Russia as IOC calls for athletes' suspension - BBC Sport (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/60560567)

"While athletes from Russia and Belarus would be able to continue to participate in sports events, many athletes from Ukraine are prevented from doing so because of the attack on their country," an IOC statement read.

fair point, still a shame for athletes from those two countries

SteveHFC
28-02-2022, 04:29 PM
Russia banned from Uefa.

Billy Whizz
28-02-2022, 04:30 PM
Russia banned from Uefa.

Have Spartak Moscow been kicked out of the Europa League

The dalmeny
28-02-2022, 04:30 PM

You beat be to that

SteveHFC
28-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Have Spartak Moscow been kicked out of the Europa League

Uefa are set to exclude Spartak from the Europa League and Leipzig will get a bye into the Quarter-Finals.

SteveHFC
28-02-2022, 04:35 PM
Monday, 28 February 2022, 17:30 (local time)
Following the initial decisions adopted by the FIFA Council and the UEFA Executive Committee, which decisions envisaged the adoption of additional measures, FIFA and UEFA have today decided together that all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, shall be suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice.

These decisions were adopted today by the Bureau of the FIFA Council and the Executive Committee of UEFA, respectively the highest decision-making bodies of both institutions on such urgent matters.

Football is fully united here and in full solidarity with all the people affected in Ukraine. Both Presidents hope that the situation in Ukraine will improve significantly and rapidly so that football can again be a vector for unity and peace amongst people.

That's Fifa suspended Russia.

Ryan91
28-02-2022, 04:48 PM
FIFA and UEFA suspend Russian clubs and National teams from all competitions

Russia slowly but surely becoming an international pariah.

Onion
28-02-2022, 04:50 PM
Monday, 28 February 2022, 17:30 (local time)
Following the initial decisions adopted by the FIFA Council and the UEFA Executive Committee, which decisions envisaged the adoption of additional measures, FIFA and UEFA have today decided together that all Russian teams, whether national representative teams or club teams, shall be suspended from participation in both FIFA and UEFA competitions until further notice.

These decisions were adopted today by the Bureau of the FIFA Council and the Executive Committee of UEFA, respectively the highest decision-making bodies of both institutions on such urgent matters.

Football is fully united here and in full solidarity with all the people affected in Ukraine. Both Presidents hope that the situation in Ukraine will improve significantly and rapidly so that football can again be a vector for unity and peace amongst people.

That's Fifa suspended Russia.

Good decision and significant.

Nakedmanoncrack
28-02-2022, 06:05 PM
That was nearly 20 years ago and the circumstances were very different (also, it wasn't the UK that invaded Iraq, it was a coalition of countries) but if what came to light later had been known at the time then there would have been a strong case for the suspension from sporting competition of all the countries involved in the invasion. Then again if what came to light later had been widely known at the time the invasion would probably not have taken place.

We can't change the past, we can only learn from it and if any lesson has been learned from the Iraq war crimes it is that the aggressive invasion of a sovereign state should be discouraged by all possible means. Therefore IMO Russia and Belarus should become sporting pariahs until they put right the wrongs they have committed in Ukraine.

What's your opinion on both instances?

Not sure wasn't known at the time, but there was never any possibility of the countries involved suffering any sanction either on the sporting field or anywhere else, at the time or subsequently, punishment & accountability is only for others. The double standards have never been better illustrated than over the past few days, with (rightly) total support for the Ukrainian people, including from those who play the 'keep politics out of sport' card when it suits them. I doubt many of the people saying boot them out as though this is an exceptional event, have given a thought to the bigger picture of who is responsible for aggression, often much greater aggression than we've seen so far in Ukraine, or pay attention to other conflicts. Maybe the shock of seeing victims who look much like themselves, and who live relatively similar lives helps elevate the victims to have a higher value, I think we all know thats the truth, and some are honest enough to say it. While we are talking Russia, did anyone on Hibs.net get worked up about Russia's assault on Chechnya for example? Proper destruction, a capital city entirely raised to the ground, but most people know very little about it, and care even less.

DaveF
28-02-2022, 06:15 PM
I wonder how the tennis world will react? Plenty of Russian women on the tour and obviously Medvedev one of the topens players in the world right now.

Scottie
28-02-2022, 06:20 PM
I wonder how the tennis world will react? Plenty of Russian women on the tour and obviously Medvedev one of the topens players in the world right now.
Medvedev just went to number 1 in the world. Will be interesting how the powers that be manage this horrendous situation?

Since90+2
28-02-2022, 06:22 PM
Not sure wasn't known at the time, but there was never any possibility of the countries involved suffering any sanction either on the sporting field or anywhere else, at the time or subsequently, punishment & accountability is only for others. The double standards have never been better illustrated than over the past few days, with (rightly) total support for the Ukrainian people, including from those who play the 'keep politics out of sport' card when it suits them. I doubt many of the people saying boot them out as though this is an exceptional event, have given a thought to the bigger picture of who is responsible for aggression, often much greater aggression than we've seen so far in Ukraine, or pay attention to other conflicts. Maybe the shock of seeing victims who look much like themselves, and who live relatively similar lives helps elevate the victims to have a higher value, I think we all know thats the truth, and some are honest enough to say it. While we are talking Russia, did anyone on Hibs.net get worked up about Russia's assault on Chechnya for example? Proper destruction, a capital city entirely raised to the ground, but most people know very little about it, and care even less.

I'd agree you're completely right when it comes to the difference in reaction with Chechnya for example. However, I don't really think you can blame your average citizen for the difference in reaction.

We live in a world where people react overwhelmingly to what they see and hear in the media. This is everywhere and on everyone's devices 24/7, Chechnya just wasn't. So although I agree with the general point I don't think it's fair in anyway to point the finger of moral compass at the general public.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2022, 06:51 PM

Elina Svitolina has said she will refuse to play any Russian or Belarusian players unless the WTA orders them to play under a neutral flag.

She is due to play Russian Anastasia Potapova tomorrow in Mexico and is threatening to withdraw from the tournament.

jacomo
28-02-2022, 06:54 PM
I'd agree you're completely right when it comes to the difference in reaction with Chechnya for example. However, I don't really think you can blame your average citizen for the difference in reaction.

We live in a world where people react overwhelmingly to what they see and hear in the media. This is everywhere and on everyone's devices 24/7, Chechnya just wasn't. So although I agree with the general point I don't think it's fair in anyway to point the finger of moral compass at the general public.

:agree:

This isn’t the time for whataboutery.

People are taking a stand now, it’s long overdue and it’s welcome.

Sir David Gray
28-02-2022, 07:00 PM
Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova - women's tennis world number 14 and from Russia;

I've been playing tennis since I was a kid. I have represented Russia all my life. This is my home and my country. But now I am in complete fear, as are my friends and family. But I am not afraid to clearly state my position. I am against war and violence.

Personal ambitions or political motives cannot justify violence. This takes away the future not only from us, but also from our children. I am confused and do not know how to help in this situation.

I'm just an athlete who plays tennis. I am not a politician, not a public figure, I have no experience in this. I can only publicly disagree with these decisions taken and openly talk about it.

Stop the violence, stop the war.

Very brave of her.

Is It On....
28-02-2022, 07:43 PM

Poland have shamed UEFA and FIFA into the correct decision 👍

hibee19
01-03-2022, 02:17 AM

I think Ukraine should get a bye into the final and we replace Russia and play Poland

CentreLine
01-03-2022, 06:02 AM
I think Ukraine should get a bye into the final and we replace Russia and play Poland

Do Wales and Austria not get a consideration?

Diclonius
01-03-2022, 09:26 AM
Imagine Poland will play Slovakia (and be bumped up to top seed) and we'll play Finland.

The dalmeny
01-03-2022, 10:43 AM
Fixtures sold out, play it as intended

flash
01-03-2022, 11:45 AM

Yeah that should be the main consideration. :confused:

green day
01-03-2022, 03:55 PM
Bill Leckie on the radio just now thinking we should step aside, so should Wales and Austria.........

The mans a spoon, I mean where does that end?

Do they get a bye to the group stages?

What Poland have done makes sense, but this is just daft.

Bristolhibby
01-03-2022, 04:13 PM

Could the next highest seeded team not be bumped up to play Poland.

Bit like at Euro 92 when Denmark replaced Yugoslavia (then won the competition).

J

PatHead
01-03-2022, 04:21 PM
Does anyone know if there are any Russian players playing in the UK?

Billy Whizz
01-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Does anyone know if there are any Russian players playing in the UK?

Think Livingston have a Russian goalkeeper

PatHead
01-03-2022, 04:30 PM
Think Livingston have a Russian goalkeeper

Is he not Polish or do they have another?

aljo7-0
01-03-2022, 04:56 PM
Bill Leckie on the radio just now thinking we should step aside, so should Wales and Austria.........

I've always felt his name is the wrong way round (in a scouse accent at least) and this view is about as welcome as his name the wrong way round!

Billy Whizz
01-03-2022, 05:06 PM
Is he not Polish or do they have another?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60525373.amp

CentreLine
01-03-2022, 05:11 PM

Agreed. I think it is better to play the match in a competitive and respectful manner. Anything else is a little demeaning towards Ukraine. They have a very good chance of progressing without out charity and to suggest otherwise is most disrespectful.
There is more than one way to skin a cat and showing respect and support for Ukrainian players before, during and after the game, regardless of the result, has to be a perfectly good expression of support IMHO

CentreLine
01-03-2022, 05:16 PM

Bill Leckie consistently referred to Ukraine as “The Ukraine”. He should know that The Ukraine was a component part of the Soviet Union. Ukraine it’s the independent, democratic country that came out of the break up of The Soviet Union.

PatHead
01-03-2022, 05:36 PM
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60525373.amp

Thanks Billy. I don't think he should be allowed to play.

cabbageandribs1875
01-03-2022, 05:47 PM

i heard an interview with Henry McLeish today and when asked if Scotland should forfeit the game he quite rightly answered "why should Scotland be punished, we've done nothing wrong" also will the Scottish players play the game having some sympathy at the back of their minds instead of fully concentrating on getting the job done, he did suggest ways of allowing Ukraine to take further part some other ways but i had to go out ;)

Sir David Gray
01-03-2022, 07:17 PM
i heard an interview with Henry McLeish today and when asked if Scotland should forfeit the game he quite rightly answered "why should Scotland be punished, we've done nothing wrong" also will the Scottish players play the game having some sympathy at the back of their minds instead of fully concentrating on getting the job done, he did suggest ways of allowing Ukraine to take further part some other ways but i had to go out ;)

Absolutely agree with this.

Scotland haven't done anything wrong, supporting Ukraine's one thing but giving them a free pass to the World Cup at our expense is going much too far for me.

cabbageandribs1875
01-03-2022, 07:25 PM
Absolutely agree with this.

Scotland haven't done anything wrong, supporting Ukraine's one thing but giving them a free pass to the World Cup at our expense is going much too far for me.

i'm starting to think it's not fair on Scotland, or any other side facing Ukraine, any side that does face Ukraine is on a hiding to nothing

every football fan in Europe, in fact every citizen of most European countries will want Ukraine to win, that would be a natural feeling

Diclonius
01-03-2022, 07:45 PM
Give Ukraine an automatic bye to the playoff round for the 2030 World Cup if they can't fulfill their fixture this time around.

There. No one is inconvenienced.

Sir David Gray
01-03-2022, 09:55 PM
The international governing bodies of tennis stand united in our condemnation of Russia’s actions and, as a result, are in agreement with the following decisions and actions:

The WTA and ATP Boards have made the decision to suspend the WTA / ATP combined event, scheduled this October in Moscow.

The ITF Board has made the decision to suspend the Russian Tennis Federation and Belarus Tennis Federation membership and to withdraw their entries from all ITF international team competition until further notice. This action follows the cancellation of all ITF tournaments in Russia and Belarus indefinitely.

At this time, players from Russia and Belarus will continue to be allowed to compete in international tennis events on Tour and at the Grand Slams. However, they will not compete under the name or flag of Russia or Belarus until further notice.

https://www.atptour.com/en/news/joint-statement-by-the-international-governing-bodies-of-tennis-1-march-2022

mjhibby
02-03-2022, 04:46 PM
Will Ukraine be in any frame of mind to play the game. I can't imagine how they are coping with what's going on in their country. Terrifying.

SteveHFC
03-03-2022, 03:57 PM
Ukraine ask for play off game to be postponed.

davhibby
03-03-2022, 04:18 PM
Ukraine ask for play off game to be postponed.

As sad as it is can’t really see that being accepted. With the World Cup in December messing up the usual calendar for breaks there’s no spare dates at all. If it was the final they’d possibly have had a chance but just can’t see it being postponed

JohnM1875
03-03-2022, 04:21 PM
As sad as it is can’t really see that being accepted. With the World Cup in December messing up the usual calendar for breaks there’s no spare dates at all. If it was the final they’d possibly have had a chance but just can’t see it being postponed

Given what's going on just now surely there's no way it won't be postponed?

Reckon there would be outrage if Uefa/Fifa reject their ask for postponement.

SteveHFC
03-03-2022, 04:27 PM

Reckon there would be outrage if Uefa/Fifa rejectpostpone
their ask for postponement.

Postpone till when this could go on for months or years. No easy solution

Billy Whizz
03-03-2022, 04:28 PM
And Russia appealing their ban
I’m not sure what happens during the appeal stages

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60607645

JohnM1875
03-03-2022, 04:29 PM
Postpone till when this could go on for months or years. No easy solution

Totally. But I just can't see them rejecting their first request of a postponement.

davhibby
03-03-2022, 04:39 PM

Reckon there would be outrage if Uefa/Fifa reject their ask for postponement.

They’ll obviously try but there really doesn’t seem to be any other time to play it.

DIXIHIBS
03-03-2022, 04:50 PM
They’ll obviously try but there really doesn’t seem to be any other time to play it.

They will have to postpone this just now. Maybe look at it again in a month or so and see how things are and maybe try squeeze the game in later. These are exceptional circumstances. Agreed it cant be postponed indefinitely but they have to give them a chance.

Callum_62
03-03-2022, 05:03 PM
Fixtures sold out, play it as intendedYou've definatly latched onto the major consideration here

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
03-03-2022, 05:16 PM
They will have to postpone this just now. Maybe look at it again in a month or so and see how things are and maybe try squeeze the game in later. These are exceptional circumstances. Agreed it cant be postponed indefinitely but they have to give them a chance.
You have to take into account the wales/austria game as well as both games need
to played at same time for fairness

DIXIHIBS
03-03-2022, 05:27 PM
You have to take into account the wales/austria game as well as both games need
to played at same time for fairness

All 4 teams will be inconvenienced by any change in dates but imagine if ukraine are forced to play against their will. The authorities have to postpone this game and then attempt to sort the problem later. As much as i want scotland to qualify....not at any cost.

davhibby
03-03-2022, 05:44 PM

You can’t look at it in a month or so. If it’s postponed they need to magic up available dates in June for the games to be played. If they can do that then great but I just don’t see it being possible with the number of games already scheduled.

DIXIHIBS
03-03-2022, 06:00 PM
You can’t look at it in a month or so. If it’s postponed they need to magic up available dates in June for the games to be played. If they can do that then great but I just don’t see it being possible with the number of games already scheduled.

Why cant you look at it later? The play-off semi and final can be done over 4 days so why cant they extend the season by a few days. Sure its inconvenient but tough. Maybe some players will be missing...again tough. Whats the alternative. Sorry ukraine...i know your getting bombed right now but you need to play the game now or you're out? Lets getbreal here.

SteveHFC
03-03-2022, 06:07 PM
As I said earlier postpone for how long, may be a very long time before this game can get played

green day
03-03-2022, 06:21 PM
I would prefer that we just all said "**** it" lets no bother with this world cup - the worlds gone mad, and we should never have agreed to play in 50c anyway.

Sir David Gray
03-03-2022, 06:40 PM
I mean this in the nicest and most sensitive possible way, but what difference is a postponement of a couple of months really likely to make with regards to Ukraine's ability to fulfil this fixture?

It's an absolutely horrific situation but this war isn't likely to end any time soon. It's quite understandably a very delicate topic and Ukraine should definitely be given every chance to play but at some point someone's going to have to make a difficult call on this.

SteveHFC
03-03-2022, 06:54 PM
I mean this in the nicest and most sensitive possible way, but what difference is a postponement of a couple of months really likely to make with regards to Ukraine's ability to fulfil this fixture?

It's an absolutely horrific situation but this war isn't likely to end any time soon. It's quite understandably a very delicate topic and Ukraine should definitely be given every chance to play but at some point someone's going to have to make a difficult call on this.

Col2
03-03-2022, 07:12 PM
The World Cup draw is due on 1st April. FIFA won’t want to delay that so will likely make a draw with four teams (one can only progress).

If game postponed (which I expect it to be) it’s impossible that this will be sorted by 1st April. Not sure if any special rules for certain teams eg avoiding each other in main draw so that could be complicating factor.

Bristolhibby
03-03-2022, 07:14 PM

Also, clubs will not be under any obligation to release their players outwit the already packed international window.

Play as planned or step aside.

J

Nakedmanoncrack
03-03-2022, 09:15 PM

As much as giving them every chance to play seems the right thing to do, you are right it can't be postponed indefinitely.
All other war torn & occupied countries have competed in the qualifiers without any dispensation that I'm aware of, other than not playing games at Home for example in the case of Yemen.

Steven79
03-03-2022, 09:37 PM

It's an absolutely horrific situation but this war isn't likely to end any time soon. It's quite understandably a very delicate topic and Ukraine should definitely be given every chance to play but at some point someone's going to have to make a difficult call on this.Yep!

I can't see anything changing anytime soon and even if they get the Russians out of their country they will have far more important things to worry about that football matches and they aren't likely to be in a good place mentally or physically to play.

All this talk of "step aside' is virtue signalling at it's worst.

Does every team they come up against "step aside" as aside from being extremely patronising to the Ukrainians when they actually want and need support not sympathy and token gestures it would mean they win world cup be default.

People need to really engage their brain more or just stop jumping on the bandwagon.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
03-03-2022, 09:41 PM
If Ukraine want to play the game then by all means postpone it. Just have "winner of path C" or whatever as one of the teams in the WC draw.

Steven79
03-03-2022, 10:30 PM
If Ukraine want to play the game then by all means postpone it. Just have "winner of path C" or whatever as one of the teams in the WC draw.Do you honestly see things changing anyone soon that will mean they will be in a position to play the game?

Keith_M
04-03-2022, 06:43 AM
I would prefer that we just all said "**** it" lets no bother with this world cup - the worlds gone mad, and we should never have agreed to play in 50c anyway.

bod
04-03-2022, 07:18 AM
Do you honestly see things changing anyone soon that will mean they will be in a position to play the game?

Could move it to the November dates then just shunt every game down an international break.
Got to give Ukraine a chance to play the game.
Think of the lift it would give the country if Ukraine Qualified after what’s happened & FIFA wouldn’t be the bad boys for once

BoomtownHibees
04-03-2022, 07:36 AM
Could move it to the November dates then just shunt every game down an international break.
Got to give Ukraine a chance to play the game.
Think of the lift it would give the country if Ukraine Qualified after what’s happened & FIFA wouldn’t be the bad boys for once

November is when the World Cup starts

JimBHibees
04-03-2022, 07:57 AM
You've definatly latched onto the major consideration here

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Indeed :greengrin

Bristolhibby
04-03-2022, 08:18 AM
November is when the World Cup starts

And there aren’t any spare international window dates.

It has to be played. Nothing will change between now and June. All males over 18 are forbidden to leave and been conscripted into the Army.

J

blackpoolhibs
04-03-2022, 08:18 AM

They are playing the world cup in the winter, they say it will be around 27c during the games.

PatHead
04-03-2022, 08:36 AM
And there aren’t any spare international window dates.

It has to be played. Nothing will change between now and June. All males over 18 are forbidden to leave and been conscripted into the Army.

J

I must admit that I am surprised players have not returned to their home country at this time and been put into a Macrae's battalion. Surely that would be uplifting for the people left at home.

Why should they get any special treatment? Too rich to fight? It's especially true when Ukraine are asking for a foreign brigade.

Mike Berry
04-03-2022, 08:46 AM

Id like to see Scotland forfeit against Ukraine and let them have a free pass to the world cup also.Absolutely. It'd be a real gesture of solidarity and would give fans in Ukraine something to look forward to at an awful time in their history. I'm sure their players have more important things to attend to than football at the moment.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
04-03-2022, 09:06 AM
Absolutely. It'd be a real gesture of solidarity and would give fans in Ukraine something to look forward to at an awful time in their history. I'm sure their players have more important things to attend to than football at the moment.

I don’t understand this thinking.

1. Nobody likes getting a ‘free pass’. It’s patronising. Never let someone win, it sullies any eventual victories they might have.
2. You could say the qualifiing games give the people of Ukraine ‘something to look forward to’ as well. I get it’s the Ukrainian FA themselves that have asked for a postponement but I imagine other Ukrainians will have a different view.
3. It’s not comparable to being at war but the people of Scotland (and also Wales, Poland, Czechs, other teams also affected by any decision on what to do about ties with Russia and Ukraine) have just come out of an awful time in their history too, with COVID-19 and economic and political instability. Maybe an international round of fixtures is exactly what is needed?

Mike Berry
04-03-2022, 09:51 AM
Is it really silly. I'm not all for playing in Qatar anyway and it would show solidarity with Ukraine. Good chance they will win the play off anyway but us giving up our chance is minuscule in comparison as to what Ukraine is suffering. Call me what you will but I'm all for it.Even before this happened I had my doubts about the morality of playing in a world cup in Qatar. Their human rights record is horrible. The stadiums were built with slave labour. Some people died building this stuff. Of course, you could say the same about the Beijing Olympics, but 2 wrongs don't make a right.

PatHead
04-03-2022, 09:55 AM
Absolutely. It'd be a real gesture of solidarity and would give fans in Ukraine something to look forward to at an awful time in their history. I'm sure their players have more important things to attend to than football at the moment.

It is one thing to refuse to play against the aggressorrs but why should we give up our opportunity to play in a World Cup finals for the first time this century because of something Russia have done.

Why should players who have worked so hard miss out on the chance to play in the World Cup finals? Should every country that gets drawn against Ukraine at the later stages just give them a bye as well?

Yes it maybe would be a nice sentiment but where do you draw the line and what if their players consider fighting in a war to be more important than playing. If the war was still going on perhaps it would create resentment rather than pride among the country's citizens due to them getting special treatment?

Also, what if they got beaten in every game? How would that help moral.

Giving them a bye just doesn't make sense.

If anything it should be Ukraine who withdraw to deal with a far more important matter.

Mike Berry
04-03-2022, 10:04 AM
It is one thing to refuse to play against the aggressorrs but why should we give up our opportunity to play in a World Cup finals for the first time this century because of something Russia have done.

Why should players who have worked so hard miss out on the chance to play in the World Cup finals? Should every country that gets drawn against Ukraine at the later stages just give them a bye as well?

Yes it maybe would be a nice sentiment but where do you draw the line and what if their players consider fighting in a war to be more important than playing. If the war was still going on perhaps it would create resentment rather than pride among the country's citizens due to them getting special treatment?

If anything it should be Ukraine who withdraw to deal with a far more important matter.The players do work hard. They also get well paid. I stand by what I said.

JimBHibees
04-03-2022, 10:06 AM

If anything it should be Ukraine who withdraw to deal with a far more important matter.

Agree totally

Steven79
04-03-2022, 10:10 AM

Virtue signalling at it's worst and extremely patronising.

They want support not empty guestures.

Should Austria or Wales do the same in the final?

What about the teams they meet in the group stages?

Then the knockout rounds as it would give their fans something to look forward to.

Oh and in the final the other team should just let Ukraine win as it would good for moral back home in Ukraine...

Do you really think a proud nation like Ukraine really want to be handed anything right now?

CropleyWasGod
04-03-2022, 10:13 AM
Rod is playing the long game here, as ever.

1. sends message of support to Ukraine. Tick.

2. decides, privately, that we're on a hiding to nothing. We'll either get cuffed or (if we win) we'll be the big bad wolf.

3. announces that, "after much heart-rending soul-searching, Scotland will do the humanitarian thing and withdraw in favour of Ukraine."

4. rest of the world goes "awwww"

5. rest of the World demands, and FIFA agrees, that Scotland are given a bye into the knock-out stages in Qatar.

6. Rod collects his winnings from the bookies.

7. Rod calls ER to remind them he's due a share of the latest SJM money.

Jack
04-03-2022, 10:14 AM
They should keep the date of the final at whatever it is and the Scotland game anytime until 3/4 days beforehand to give Ukraine every chance of playing the game.

Mike Berry
04-03-2022, 10:18 AM
Virtue signalling at it's worst and extremely patronising.

They want support not empty guestures.

Should Austria or Wales do the same in the final?

What about the teams they meet in the group stages?

Then the knockout rounds as it would give their fans something to look forward to.

Oh and in the final the other team should just let Ukraine win as it would good for moral back home in Ukraine...

Do you really think a proud nation like Ukraine really want to be handed anything right now?"virtue signalling", eh? Nonsense.

Steven79
04-03-2022, 10:22 AM
They should keep the date of the final at whatever it is and the Scotland game anytime until 3/4 days beforehand to give Ukraine every chance of playing the game.

Even if things stopped today they simply won't be in the right frame of mind to play football.

It's not that important to them right now when their lives and country are on the line and it's sadly not going to change anytime soon.

That's the reality of the situation and someone has to be the bad guy in all of this.

Billy Whizz
04-03-2022, 11:45 AM
Rod is playing the long game here, as ever.

1. sends message of support to Ukraine. Tick.

2. decides, privately, that we're on a hiding to nothing. We'll either get cuffed or (if we win) we'll be the big bad wolf.

3. announces that, "after much heart-rending soul-searching, Scotland will do the humanitarian thing and withdraw in favour of Ukraine."

4. rest of the world goes "awwww"

5. rest of the World demands, and FIFA agrees, that Scotland are given a bye into the knock-out stages in Qatar.

6. Rod collects his winnings from the bookies.

7. Rod calls ER to remind them he's due a share of the latest SJM money.

I like this😀

Nakedmanoncrack
04-03-2022, 12:51 PM
Even if things stopped today they simply won't be in the right frame of mind to play football.

It's not that important to them right now when their lives and country are on the line and it's sadly not going to change anytime soon.

That's the reality of the situation and someone has to be the bad guy in all of this.

Yes, harsh though it is, it's about time this was put to bed, if Ukraine cannot fulfil the fixture then a decision needs to be made on whether someone replaces them. It's unfortunate, but if we gave special dispensation to every country at war to postpone games (with no realistic change in circumstances in the foreseeable future) the qualification process would never get completed.

Newry Hibs
04-03-2022, 01:01 PM

Semi final due on 24th March - Final due 29th March.

Sir David Gray
04-03-2022, 01:25 PM

The play off final is due to be played 5 days after the semi final.

cabbageandribs1875
04-03-2022, 01:40 PM

those with the heart warming gestures that Scotland should just chuck it appear not to have an answer to that one :hmmm:

Steven79
04-03-2022, 02:01 PM
those with the heart warming gestures that Scotland should just chuck it appear not to have an answer to that one :hmmm:

It's just so typical of the culture now.

They don't really think things through and just offer patronising gestures as their way of trying to help when they are doing anything but as I very much people in Ukraine want to be handed anything.

If we handed them the tie then pressure would be heaped on Wales or Austria to do the same and where does the line get drawn?

cabbageandribs1875
04-03-2022, 02:13 PM
It's just so typical of the culture now.

They don't really think things through and just offer patronising gestures as their way of trying to help when they are doing anything but as I very much people in Ukraine want to be handed anything.

If we handed them the tie then pressure would be heaped on Wales or Austria to do the same and where does the line get drawn?

tbf if it was England v Ukraine i would make a heart warming gesture that England forfeit the game :greengrin maybe that's why some appear quite keen on Scotland forfeiting :wink:

but jesting aside, i'm quite certain neither Wales or Austria will be wanting Scotland to forfeit either otherwise it would be pointless for them playing :agree:

i wish i had heard the whole Henry McLeish interview as i'm sure i heard near the end him talking about a way where all teams went though, could be wrong :hmmm:

Mikey
05-03-2022, 12:41 PM
Has there been any chat about which countries will replace Russia and (possibly) Ukraine? Or would their play off opponents just get a bye to the final?

A Hi-Bee
05-03-2022, 01:23 PM
Has there been any chat about which countries will replace Russia and (possibly) Ukraine? Or would their play off opponents just get a bye to the final?

Do we even know which countries will be left by the end of this war?