PDA

View Full Version : Media Ryan in Headlines AGAIN!

Pages : [1] 2

Aldo
22-02-2022, 07:11 AM
Various media outlets reporting Ryan was part of a group that stole a memorial wreath from a garden in Midlothian!

Wreath recovered however it was damaged.

Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

green day
22-02-2022, 07:19 AM
Why? Because the Daily Record hates him.

Frankly I am glad that I wasnt in the public eye when I was 22, and also that there were no cameras around or I would have ended up in the pokey once or twice.

There is a bit of a difference between your mate being a dick and being a dick yourself.

RP was in the street, didnt participate and actually told his pal to stop (if you look at the video).

We cant all be held accountable for our mates behaviour...................

Brightside
22-02-2022, 07:26 AM
You can be accountable for how you decide to live your life and who you want to hang about with. He’s more than old enough to start making sensible decisions.

Aldo
22-02-2022, 07:28 AM
Why? Because the Daily Record hates him.

Frankly I am glad that I wasnt in the public eye when I was 22, and also that there were no cameras around or I would have ended up in the pokey once or twice.

There is a bit of a difference between your mate being a dick and being a dick yourself.

RP was in the street, didnt participate and actually told his pal to stop (if you look at the video).

We cant all be held accountable for our mates behaviour...................

Totally GD however surely his pals should know bloody better! They’re not bairns!

I understand folk can be dicks but FFS a memorial wreath in someone’s garden! That’s pretty poor imho!

I understand that he shouldn’t be held accountable for his pals actions but his pals have let him down!

Broken Gnome
22-02-2022, 07:33 AM
WTF is he doing in the Woodburn Miners. Bring back George Street.

Unseen work
22-02-2022, 07:34 AM
Frustrating that this has come to light but imo Porteous hasn’t done anything wrong.

His mate is clearly an idiot and stole it, Porteous is on the opposite side of the wall and nowhere near the door/wreath.

He can only do so much to make his mate stop.

Sioux
22-02-2022, 07:35 AM
You can be accountable for how you decide to live your life and who you want to hang about with. He’s more than old enough to start making sensible decisions.

How did he know in advance that his mate would do something stupid?

In other news, I'm glad you are such a pillar of virtue, and able to guide humanity through the pitfalls of life.

Stokesy's on fire
22-02-2022, 07:35 AM
Various media outlets reporting Ryan was part of a group that stole a memorial wreath from a garden in Midlothian!

Wreath recovered however it was damaged.

Why?

This is proof that the daily record can make people believe anything. The Headlines intentionally designed to trick people into calling Porteous the bad one here and sadly some people are falling for it.

Gloucester Hibs
22-02-2022, 07:38 AM

Without RP having access to a crystal ball, it's difficult to apportion too much blame to him for this incident. You'd hope he is more careful with who he chooses to spend his downtime with in future though.

green day
Totally GD however surely his pals should know bloody better! They’re not bairns!

I understand folk can be dicks but FFS a memorial wreath in someone’s garden! That’s pretty poor imho!

I understand that he shouldn’t be held accountable for his pals actions but his pals have let him down!

I was a complete dick at that age, not sure why RP mates should be any different after a few beers.

I have already said they shouldnt have done it, but RP has done nothing wrong, in fact he told his mate to stop............but he is not responsible for what his pal ultimately does.

I am sure Huns on twitter will love it, lets face it they are the intended audience here.

Heisenberg
DR trying to drive another hun pile on when in reality Porteous himself hasn’t done anything wrong. I’d say he needs to be careful who he’s hanging about with though, it’s not normal behaviour and being drunk isn’t an excuse.

Aldo
22-02-2022, 07:43 AM
This is proof that the daily record can make people believe anything. The Headlines intentionally designed to trick people into calling Porteous the bad one here and sadly some people are falling for it.

If not fallen for it I’m well aware the media do, write and say things to get attention however I picked it up from Edinburgh live.

Btw don’t shoot the messenger here!

Aldo
22-02-2022, 07:47 AM
I was a complete dick at that age, not sure why RP mates should be any different after a few beers.

I have already said they shouldnt have done it, but RP has done nothing wrong, in fact he told his mate to stop............but he is not responsible for what his pal ultimately does.

I am sure Huns on twitter will love it, lets face it they are the intended audience here.

Not got an issue with a group out on the lash having a laugh etc but his so called pals have let him down.

Yes it’s been written in a certain manner but FFS a memorial wreath in someone’s front garden! It’s not a bit of carry on it’s actually quite disrespectful!

Hibernian Verse
22-02-2022, 07:50 AM
The thought of Porteous stealing a memorial wreath will send the huns into meltdown.

The Record makes it sound like a diamond heist where everyone was involved, pretty poor but will sell papers.

oneone73
22-02-2022, 07:52 AM
If not fallen for it I’m well aware the media do, write and say things to get attention however I picked it up from Edinburgh live.

Btw don’t shoot the messenger here!

The messenger, in this case the DR, should be shot.

04Sauzee
22-02-2022, 07:53 AM

Assuming his mate had been a dick before though eh ? If not why shouldn't he be in his circle of friends

Hibernian Verse
22-02-2022, 07:55 AM
Assuming his mate had been a dick before though eh ? If not why shouldn't he be in his circle of friends

Assuming they are all around 22, I'm glad I wasn't in the public eye at that age.

Or now actually :greengrin

Greencore
He didn't actually do anything though?

Granted he should be old enough to make better judgement on who to hang about with. However it seems he was just walking down the street while his mate done what they/he did.

Can't exactly predict on how and what his mates are gonna do.

Fail to see how he has done anything wrong here.

Gotta be said though it is ashame on the woman as it was dedicated to her mother.

green day

...............which is the Daily Records online Edinburgh news outlet.

The only Ryan they should have been focusing on is Ryan Jack and his leg breaking tackle at the end of the match v Arabs the other day.

Aldo
22-02-2022, 07:56 AM

The only Ryan they should have been focusing on is Ryan Jack and his leg breaking tackle at the end of the match v Arabs the other day.

You learn something new everyday GD….. we both know that won’t happen!

erin go bragh
22-02-2022, 08:04 AM
Rag of a paper , only the sun is worse . Ryan did nothing and the boy who took the wreath apologised and returned it .

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:05 AM
He didn’t do it but by hanging about with folk that do he’s asking to get caught up in it. He’s nearly 23 - we need to stop talking about him as if he’s a daft laddie.

For some reason it’s never his fault - adding a bit of personal responsibility would help him fulfil his potential.

Since90+2
22-02-2022, 08:07 AM
How anyone can have a go at Porteous for this is beyond me. Is he meant to have the ability to see into the future and know his mate was going to do it?

huggie1875
22-02-2022, 08:08 AM
I’m still amazed anyone still buys a paper I like my news when it happens not 48hrs later

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:09 AM
How anyone can have a go at Porteous for this is beyond me. Is he meant to have the ability to see into the future and know his mate was going to do it?

Well he’s likely to know which of his mates are liabilities on a night out.

Since90+2
22-02-2022, 08:10 AM
He didn't actually do anything though?

Granted he should be old enough to make better judgement on who to hang about with. However it seems he was just walking down the street while his mate done what they/he did.

Can't exactly predict on how and what his mates are gonna do.

Fail to see how he has done anything wrong here.

Gotta be said though it is ashame on the woman as it was dedicated to her mother.

Exactly.

And I'm not sure it's as easy as saying he should choose wisely who he hangs about with either.

People do stupid, off the cuff things when young and drunk. The guy who done it we know nothing about, could be completely out of character. Is Porteous just meant to cut all ties with all friends incase at any point one of them does something daft?

Since90+2
22-02-2022, 08:11 AM
Well he’s likely to know which of his mates are liabilities on a night out.

Really? He can predict what each and everyone of his mates is going to do?

Even people who are normally level headed can do daft things when drunk.

green day
22-02-2022, 08:16 AM
He didn’t do it but by hanging about with folk that do he’s asking to get caught up in it. He’s nearly 23 - we need to stop talking about him as if he’s a daft laddie.

For some reason it’s never his fault - adding a bit of personal responsibility would help him fulfil his potential.

Difficult to allocate blame to Ryan Porteous for something he didnt actually do.

Hence, you are right - it wasnt his fault.

Perhaps you need to support our player in what is clearly a vendetta by the Daily Record and its online version?

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:18 AM
Really? He can predict what each and everyone of his mates is going to do?

Even people who are normally level headed can do daft things when drunk.

My mates are/were fairly predictable. I knew/know who was most likely to pick a fight with a bouncer or fall asleep in the corner.

If I was hoping to make a career in football I'd definitely be on guard for it - especially now that he's a grown man (none of this he's only a laddie nonsense). Still I'm sure he'll be able to sit in the Wetherspoons in Dalkeith in 15 years and talk about how he nearly got capped by Scotland.

Stairway 2 7
22-02-2022, 08:19 AM
If you seen it it looks like a Christmas wreath, you wouldn't know it was a memorial. Not that that excuses taking it, although it's nowt to do with Ryan either way

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:20 AM
Difficult to allocate blame to Ryan Porteous for something he didnt actually do.

Perhaps you need to support our player in what is clearly a vendetta by the Daily Record and its online version?

If he didn't put himself in these positions the DR couldn't have a vendetta - look at the Aberdeen retrospective for an example.

He needs to be a bit smarter.

I want him to do well and achieve what he has the potential to achieve but he's not going about it the right way. Supporting someone isn't all about making excuses for them.

Since90+2
22-02-2022, 08:20 AM

Yip.

It's actually pathetic how some Hibs fans are being drawn in by the record to criticise Porteous here.

He's literally not done anything wrong apart from walk down a road with a group of mates.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:22 AM
Yip.

It's actually pathetic how some Hibs fans are being drawn in by the record to criticise Porteous here.

He's literally not done anything wrong apart from walk down a road with a group of mates.

I'm not being drawn in by the DR - I saw it on Facebook on Sunday morning.

It's a warning shot for him - I hope he takes heed.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2022, 08:24 AM
I've said it before but young footballers have to be ruthless when it comes to ditching their daft mates, that's especially true when you have the potential that Ryan does.

I was involved in loads of daft things when I was younger but then I wasn't a particularly talented footballer, a few dozen games at East of Scotland and junior level is testament to that. People might argue that I'm suggesting players should be billy big baws but that's not really the case. Football is a ruthless business, it's hugely competitive to get the big moves. Allowing yourself to get a reputation as a bit of a trouble maker of whatever is a sure fire way to knock yourself down the pecking order.

Ultimately footballers have to live like the athletes they are now. It's not a normal job and that means the things that normal 18-30 year olds do are off the table if you want to make it to the top. For Ryan that probably means trips to the Woodburn Miners would be best left alone.

MWHIBBIES
22-02-2022, 08:24 AM
I've pulled my mates up before for acting daft. Theyve done the same to each other/me.

Ryan needs new friends if they think this is good patter.

Mr. Wonderful
22-02-2022, 08:25 AM
Porteous is still only 22. 22 year old laddies in this country go out with their pals - he doesn't look overly intoxicated and he looks as if he's telling the guy (who, contrary to popular belief, may not even be a direct friend of his) not to do it.

A whole load of nowt.

Brightside
22-02-2022, 08:25 AM
My mates are/were fairly predictable. I knew/know who was most likely to pick a fight with a bouncer or fall asleep in the corner.

If I was hoping to make a career in football I'd definitely be on guard for it - especially now that he's a grown man (none of this he's only a laddie nonsense). Still I'm sure he'll be able to sit in the Wetherspoons in Dalkeith in 15 years and talk about how he nearly got capped by Scotland.

Yep - there is nothing wrong with having this opinion. Its about getting the best for Ryan. Hanging about in Woodburn club will never result in him fulfilling his potential.

green day
22-02-2022, 08:26 AM
There have been a few cases where Ring doorbells and the like have been found to have invaded peoples privacy as their use went beyond the reasonable.

I would suggest that while using it to find the wreath stealer is fair game, sending the video to the press in order to embarrass a public figure who happens to be walking along the street is perhaps unfair and maybe illegal.

How do you like them apples?

Hiber-nation
22-02-2022, 08:29 AM
I've pulled my mates up before for acting daft. Theyve done the same to each other/me.

Ryan needs new friends if they think this is good patter.

I met a mate of Ryan's about 3 years ago. One of the first things he said is that Ryan needs to ditch 1 or 2 of his mates soon and get away from the Dalkeith scene otherwise he'll be in bother. 3 years later.....

Danderhall Hibs
There have been a few cases where Ring doorbells and the like have been found to have invaded peoples privacy as their use went beyond the reasonable.

I would suggest that while using it to find the wreath stealer is fair game, sending the video to the press in order to embarrass a public figure who happens to be walking along the street is perhaps unfair and maybe illegal.

How do you like them apples?

Yeah victim blaming is the way to go here.

Brightside
Yip.

Nothing to do with the DR - the footage has been doing the rounds since the weekend. Any footage like this is bad footage.

Since90+2
22-02-2022, 08:32 AM
I met a mate of Ryan's about 3 years ago. One of the first things he said is that Ryan needs to ditch 1 or 2 of his mates soon and get away from the Dalkeith scene otherwise he'll be in bother. 3 years later.....

He's not been in any bother though, that's the thing.

What trouble has Porteous been in off the pitch? Literally nothing that I'm aware off.

If the worst thing that he's done off the pitch is walk down a road whilst someone he may or may not be good mates with has picked up a wreath, then he's doing not too bad IMO.

green day
22-02-2022, 08:35 AM

I said that using it to identify who stole the wreath is fair game.

Using the video to embarrass Ryan Porteous isnt, and was a calculated act.

Thats not victim blaming, its rather a large dose of what is staring you in the puss.

Anyway, I will leave you to it.

Newhaven
22-02-2022, 08:35 AM
I’m still amazed anyone still buys a paper I like my news when it happens not 48hrs later

Any hibs fan buying either The Sun or Daily Record (never mind the Edinburgh Evening Snooze) really needs to have a word with themselves.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Any hibs fan buying either The Sun or Daily Record (never mind the Edinburgh Evening Snooze) really needs to have a word with themselves.

Agreed - would add in Edinburgh Live to the mix.

It's not really the point though.

Hiber-nation
22-02-2022, 08:45 AM
He's not been in any bother though, that's the thing.

What trouble has Porteous been in off the pitch? Literally nothing that I'm aware off.

If the worst thing that he's done off the pitch is walk down a road whilst someone he may or may not be good mates with has picked up a wreath, then he's doing not too bad IMO.

Aye but it's bad press and he's still hanging about with them. Footballers need to be a bit smarter than that.

I know a wifie who lives in Woodburn and she says "Ryan's a lovely laddie but he thinks he bloody well owns Dalkeith" :greengrin

Mr. Wonderful
22-02-2022, 08:49 AM

You, and all others who think the same, are living in a complete fantasy land. Porteous gets enough unwarranted stick without his own fans making uneducated assessments of the situation and unfair judgements of him and his pals.

A wreath was taken ffs. Get a grip

Rumble de Thump
22-02-2022, 08:52 AM

Interesting comment. You're blaming Ryan and he is a victim in this situation.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:56 AM
You, and all others who think the same, are living in a complete fantasy land. Porteous gets enough unwarranted stick without his own fans making uneducated assessments of the situation and unfair judgements of him and his pals.

Ok. Happy to leave him be. It's his career.

500miles
I miss the days of battered elvis impersonators and pole dancing.The pearl clutching is mad.

I'm pretty sure that the person who posted the picture is violating privacy laws by filming the street I'm without obvious signage and showing the faces of people who weren't involved.

OstKurve Hibs

This isn't the daily record "making people beleive". This is gullible idiots choosing to beleive what the record writes, youd think people woulda learned by now.

I havent see the video myself, but I'll take the word of the poster who has and said porto tried to stop his mate taking the wreath and that good enough for me.

Iggy Pope
He’s 22. Should he be sitting in the house with the curtains shut? He’s in the headlines (AGAIN!) because he has a mate who is a bit of a twat and a neighbour (?) who fancies making an arse of him on social media. ****show this it really is.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 08:58 AM
Interesting comment. You're blaming Ryan and he is a victim in this situation.

What did I blame him for? I think he needs to mature a bit and start thinking more but I'm not blaming him for stealing a wreath.

He's putting himself in situations that he shouldn't and folk want to make excuses for him rather than allowing him to learn from it.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:00 AM
He’s 22. Should he be sitting in the house with the curtains shut? He’s in the headlines (AGAIN!) because he has a mate who is a bit of a twat and a neighbour (?) who fancies making an arse of him on social media. ****show this it really is.

He's got what 10-12 years in football left? He can make enough money to go and do whatever he likes when he's 35 - he could even buy Woodburn Miners club and sit there all day.

We've seen enough wasted talent at Hibs over the years without adding another to the pile.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:02 AM
He's got what 10-12 years in football left? He can make enough money to go and do whatever he likes when he's 35 - he could even buy Woodburn Miners club and sit there all day.

We've seen enough wasted talent at Hibs over the years without adding another to the pile.

Is it not a bit of a stretch to equate this ***** to him throwing his career away?

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:03 AM
Is it not a bit of a stretch to equate this ***** to him throwing his career away?

In isolation it is yes.

Aldo
22-02-2022, 09:04 AM

I don’t think there is anything uneducated here.
One of his pals entered a garden and stole an item from the garden that didn’t belong to him. Whilst it may not be the crime of the century, it happened and it turned out to be a memorial wreath relating to a family member.

This wreath meant a lot to those who owned the house. Disrespectful in my view.

It’s not just a wreath!

I think others have mentioned, Ryan really needs to be careful who he hangs about with. Yes there has been a witch hunt by the media but these ladies have brought this upon themselves!

stuart-farquhar
22-02-2022, 09:05 AM

You can tell it's not locally written. The knowledge of the city's areas is often ignored or incorrectly stated.

Rag.

Rumble de Thump
22-02-2022, 09:05 AM
What did I blame him for? I think he needs to mature a bit and start thinking more but I'm not blaming him for stealing a wreath.

He's putting himself in situations that he shouldn't and folk want to make excuses for him rather than allowing him to learn from it.

This doesn't make any sense at all. He needs to mature a bit and think more because someone else stole something? There is absolutely nothing to make an excuse for unless you think he's to blame for something.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:06 AM
In isolation it is yes.

If you don’t look at this ‘incident’ in isolation, what else would you put alongside it? As far as I know any other media interest in Ryan Porteous has been football pitch related.

flash
22-02-2022, 09:06 AM
In isolation it is yes.

You seem heavily invested in this.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:07 AM
This doesn't make any sense at all. He needs to mature a bit and think more because someone else stole something? There is absolutely nothing to make an excuse for unless you think he's to blame for something.

Ok. I disagree and I hope folk at the club help him out and give him the guidance I think he needs.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:08 AM
One of his pals entered a garden and stole an item from the garden that didn’t belong to him. Whilst it may not be the crime of the century, it happened and it turned out to be a memorial wreath relating to a family member.

It’s not just a wreath!

I think others have mentioned, Ryan really needs to be careful who he hangs about with. Yes there has been a witch hunt by the media but these ladies have brought this upon themselves!

Didn’t you have any pals growing up Aldo?

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:08 AM
You seem heavily invested in this.

Thanks. I'm not like, just like to get the last word.

Rumble de Thump
22-02-2022, 09:09 AM
Edinburgh Live have at least altered their initial story after initially using a headline claiming it was Ryan who stole the wreath.

A Hi-Bee
22-02-2022, 09:10 AM
It's no just the media running this very talented boy out of our club, some on here need a good shake its a nothing story no move along, ffs.

Aldo
22-02-2022, 09:10 AM
Didn’t you have any pals growing up Aldo?

NO! [emoji85]

Sorry, Iggy yes and yes they did daft things and some serious things!

Edinburgh Green
22-02-2022, 09:13 AM

So you hang around with thugs who challenge bouncers to fights and drink to excess?

Tells me all I need to know about you! Am I right? Guilty by association and all that?

The West coast media's obsession with him is weird, with some Hibs fans wanting to join in on the pile up, even weirder.

Heisenberg
22-02-2022, 09:13 AM
The video shows him shouting at his mate to try and stop him then I think telling him to “**** off” when he sees what he’s doing. All of this while walking away from the situation.

Carheenlea
22-02-2022, 09:14 AM
This will snowball from a nothing incident (on Ryan’s part) into full castigation and analysis of the company he keeps. Obviously this was a picture that did the rounds on Twitter for a few hours before being forgot about, but The Daily Record are recycling the tittle-tattle for their own gain, and at Porteous’s expense.

Their media rights should be withdrawn at Easter Road. Should have been done after 2016 but a belated ban would be welcomed by all.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:16 AM
This will snowball from a nothing incident (on Ryan’s part) into full castigation and analysis of the company he keeps. Obviously this was a picture that did the rounds on Twitter for a few hours before being forgot about, but The Daily Record are recycling the tittle-tattle for their own gain, and at Porteous’s expense.

Their media rights should be withdrawn at Easter Road. Should have been done after 2016 but a belated ban would be welcomed by all.

It’s clearly not only the DR that are recycling it…

Smartie
22-02-2022, 09:19 AM
It’s a piece of nonsense that this is news and that he’s taking flak for it.

I’m quite critical of his daft stuff on the pitch. This doesn’t even register.

Diclonius
22-02-2022, 09:19 AM
This is approaching "Derek Riordan in nightclub at the same time bad thing happens" levels of journalism.

I agree, time they were banned. We're going to lose Porteous at the end of the season from this witch hunt.

WeeRussell
22-02-2022, 09:20 AM
Ok. I disagree and I hope folk at the club help him out and give him the guidance I think he needs.

I don’t think he needs any additional help or guidance because of this.. unless we think he’s going to copy this individual and go on a wreath-lifting spree this weekend.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 09:23 AM
:top marks:agree::aok:

Danderhall Hibs
So you hang around with thugs who challenge bouncers to fights and drink to excess?

Tells me all I need to know about you! Am I right? Guilty by association and all that?

The West coast media's obsession with him is weird, with some Hibs fans wanting to join in on the pile up, even weirder.

Yeah nailed it. It’s not my fault though.

Daily Hibs
Doesnt the wider question need asked of why so many Hibs players get caught up in daft situations? Since 2000 we have had so many players make the front page headlines, why is that?

It makes the club look very unprofessional and it begs questions about the culture of the club. For a club the size of ours these things should simply not happen.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:24 AM
I don’t think he needs any additional help or guidance because of this.. unless we think he’s going to copy this individual and go on a wreath-lifting spree this weekend.

:greengrin
Sounds like a very specialist hobby to me.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:24 AM
Doesnt the wider question need asked of why so many Hibs players get caught up in daft situations? Since 2000 we have had so many players make the headlines, why is that?

It makes the club look very unprofessional and it begs questions about the culture at the club.

It’s not the clubs fault or the players’ fault. It’s the papers.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:25 AM
Doesnt the wider question need asked of why so many Hibs players get caught up in daft situations? Since 2000 we have had so many players make the headlines, why is that?

It makes the club look very unprofessional and it begs questions about the culture at the club.

No it doesn’t. And you missed out ‘beggars belief’.

easty
22-02-2022, 09:26 AM
This is approaching "Derek Riordan in nightclub at the same time bad thing happens" levels of journalism.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 09:27 AM
Doesnt the wider question need asked of why so many Hibs players get caught up in daft situations? Since 2000 we have had so many players make the front page headlines, why is that?

I dont see it myself, but i did laugh at the furore that has ensued over nothing, just an agenda against one of the brightest stars in Scottish football.:rolleyes:

green day
22-02-2022, 09:28 AM

It makes the club look very unprofessional and it begs questions about the culture of the club. For a club the size of ours these things should simply not happen.

sniff

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:28 AM
I dont see it myself, but i did laugh at the furore that has ensued over nothing, just an agenda against one of the brightest stars in Scottish football.:rolleyes:

See if you were him and believed there was an agenda against you, would you do anything about it?

22-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Haha this will send the huns into absolute meltdown.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:31 AM
Haha this will send the huns into absolute meltdown.

Imagine it had been about poppies…..

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 09:31 AM
See if you were him and believed there was an agenda against you, would you do anything about it?

Aye laugh. :greengrin

LunasBoots
22-02-2022, 09:33 AM
Maybe him and the club can do something to help the woman out of kindness, I don't really see what Ryan's done wrong, people do stupid things when drunk and its not Ryan who has done it just the usual Rangers media witch hunt.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 09:36 AM
Maybe him and the club can do something to help the woman out of kindness, I don't really see what Ryan's done wrong, people do stupid things when drunk and its not Ryan who has done it just the usual Rangers media witch hunt.

No chance, Ryan has done nothing wrong, maybe the employer of the guy who did it will do something for them.

sleeping giant
Really surprised at some of the comments on here.

Just to be clear here . Ryan did not do anything. His pal did.

Sir David Gray
Although he's done nothing wrong simply by being there, if I was Ryan Porteous I would be finding myself some new friends to hang about with as he's just going to get dragged down with them.

AugustaHibs
22-02-2022, 09:37 AM
Drunk man does something daft. Shock horror.

Who really gives a ****?

sleeping giant
22-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Drunk man does something daft. Shock horror.

Who really gives a ****?
Yes but it wasnt Ryan though.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Although he's done nothing wrong simply by being there, if I was Ryan Porteous I would be finding myself some new friends to hang about with as he's just going to get dragged down with them.

Yeah agreed - seems a lot of folk don't get it. Reputational damage could damage his potential.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 09:39 AM

And it’s suggested he should find new pals. Like his Auntie was telling him if he was 8.

Since452
22-02-2022, 09:41 AM
Fly with the crows and all that.

we are hibs
22-02-2022, 09:48 AM
Hibs.net judge and jury out in force again [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 09:50 AM
Hibs.net judge and jury out in force again [emoji57]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Yip - the jurys cleared him mate.

500miles
22-02-2022, 09:55 AM

It's no a knife gang or a drug cartel. The boy nicked a garden ornament while half cut. It is the lowest, mildest end of bammery imaginable.

He used to hang about with Marvin Bartley, a bad man who threatened and intimidated his ex. I know who I'd be quicker to condemn

Northernhibee
22-02-2022, 09:59 AM
Much as I’ve been getting pissed off with him making rash challenges all the time, for his name to be the one in the headline is ****ing ludicrous.

Northernhibee
22-02-2022, 10:01 AM

This. By the looks of it he had a go at the person in his group too.

Absolute gutter journalism.

22-02-2022, 10:08 AM
This. By the looks of it he had a go at the person in his group too.

Absolute gutter journalism.

It gets clicks and sales unfortunately. A sun journo told me that a Griffiths front page story would add 10k to their circulation a while back.

easty
22-02-2022, 10:10 AM

My life to this point would've been far less enjoyable if I dumped my mates everytime they did something stupid when they were drunk.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:12 AM
My life to this point would've been far less enjoyable if I dumped my mates everytime they did something stupid when they were drunk.

I know what you mean but did your future career and earnings hang on their decisions?

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 10:15 AM
I know what you mean but did your future career and earnings hang on their decisions?

You’re doing it again.

easty
22-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Yeah agreed - seems a lot of folk don't get it. Reputational damage could damage his potential.

If Ryan continues to play in the way he has been, and develops further, then he'll no be held back by his mate stealing something out a garden when he's been drunk.

I cannae imagine his next clubs directors resigning in disgust, and sponsors pulling sponsorship, or the first minister having her say on Porteous' mates drunken garden robbery.

Scotty Leither
22-02-2022, 10:18 AM
Long since well past the time this ****my rag was chased the length of Easter Road away from our club.

1 8 7 5
22-02-2022, 10:19 AM
Ryan has done nothing wrong. The ****my DR have got exactly what they were looking for.

What a hoot tho'. Some folk are having a total ridder, and in the best traditions of fitba' boards winnae gie an inch, regardless of their stupidity.

There should be wall to wall condemnation against the DR, and support for one of the best young defenders in the land, and an Hibernian to boot.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2022, 10:19 AM

I'm assuming you aren't a public figure though and therefore not likely to be making headlines by your mates doing something stupid.

Rightly or wrongly I think people like footballers need to act differently to the average Joe Bloggs on the street when it comes to who they hang around with.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 10:21 AM
I'm assuming you aren't a public figure though and therefore not likely to be making headlines by your mates doing something stupid.

Rightly or wrongly I think people like footballers need to act differently to the average Joe Bloggs on the street when it comes to who they hang around with.

Who should working class footballers hang around with?

Bostonhibby
22-02-2022, 10:21 AM
If Ryan continues to play in the way he has been, and develops further, then he'll no be held back by his mate stealing something out a garden when he's been drunk.

I cannae imagine his next clubs directors resigning in disgust, and sponsors pulling sponsorship, or the first minister having her say on Porteous' mates drunken garden robbery.Agreed, I seem to remember slippy Steve getting caught on camera punching someone in a night club, never did his career any harm and the Daily Record treated him like some sort of messiah.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

easty
22-02-2022, 10:22 AM

No, but neither does his, based on this incident. Drunken garden thievery isn't the entry level into more serious organised crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

If his mates are people trafficking, or running some kind of underground dog fighting business, then fair enough though...they're probably not the best mates to have around.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 10:24 AM
No, but neither does his, based on this incident. Drunken garden thievery isn't the entry level into more serious organised crime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALZZx1xmAzg

If his mates are people trafficking, or running some kind of underground dog fighting business, then fair enough though...they're probably not the best mates to have around.

Forcing people to have sex, the stalking, the drunk driving. The millionaire ********. That’s the sort of mate he should avoid.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:25 AM
Happy to take guidance from you all. It's his career - up to him what he does with it.

Craig_HFC
22-02-2022, 10:26 AM
Looks like the headline/article has done it's job then...

This shouldn't even be thread on here never mind 'news'.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Wonderful
22-02-2022, 10:27 AM
Happy to take guidance from you all. It's his career - up to him what he does with it.

How to be condescending, chapter 1.

OstKurve Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:28 AM
Agreed, I seem to remember slippy Steve getting caught on camera punching someone in a night club, never did his career any harm and the Daily Record treated him like some sort of messiah.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he bottled a dj for not playing the song he wanted on.
Ofcourse he gets treated like a messiah from the record, hes a hun !

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:29 AM
How to be condescending, chapter 1.

Can't win. If you don't back down from a point you're wrong, if you do you're wrong. Mental.

Bostonhibby
22-02-2022, 10:31 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure he bottled a dj for not playing the song he wanted on.
Ofcourse he gets treated like a messiah from the record, hes a hun !https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2009/jul/21/steven-gerrard-court-trial

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 10:35 AM
That Phil Foden needs to find new family, cant he see how it looks when his mother is brawling i public?

CapitalGreen
22-02-2022, 10:37 AM
A lot of people seem worried that Ryan’s associations will hold him back in getting a move to a bigger club - I’d be absolutely delighted if he didn’t move to another club.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:41 AM
That Phil Foden needs to find new family, cant he see how it looks when his mother is brawling i public?

I'm sure he'll laugh it off - can't pick your family etc.

Already at his peak though - not just hoping to get there.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:42 AM
A lot of people seem worried that Ryan’s associations will hold him back in getting a move to a bigger club - I’d be absolutely delighted if he didn’t move to another club.

Fair point - i'll pay his Woodburn club subs to help keep him here. :hilarious

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 10:51 AM
I'm sure he'll laugh it off - can't pick your family etc.

Already at his peak though - not just hoping to get there.

At the peak of his career at 21.:wink: Ryan must be well past it now.

Mr. Wonderful
22-02-2022, 10:51 AM
Can't win. If you don't back down from a point you're wrong, if you do you're wrong. Mental.

You know fine well that's not what you're doing. You all know better than I do, toys out the pram condescending pish followed by the poor little me rhetoric.

Libby Hibby
22-02-2022, 10:56 AM
I've said it before but young footballers have to be ruthless when it comes to ditching their daft mates, that's especially true when you have the potential that Ryan does.

I was involved in loads of daft things when I was younger but then I wasn't a particularly talented footballer, a few dozen games at East of Scotland and junior level is testament to that. People might argue that I'm suggesting players should be billy big baws but that's not really the case. Football is a ruthless business, it's hugely competitive to get the big moves. Allowing yourself to get a reputation as a bit of a trouble maker of whatever is a sure fire way to knock yourself down the pecking order.

Ultimately footballers have to live like the athletes they are now. It's not a normal job and that means the things that normal 18-30 year olds do are off the table if you want to make it to the top. For Ryan that probably means trips to the Woodburn Miners would be best left alone.

Bang on

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:56 AM
At the peak of his career at 21.:wink: Ryan must be well past it now.

He's at the peak as in the club he's at. Ryan's getting towards his peak at 23.

You know fine well that's not what you're doing. You all know better than I do, toys out the pram condescending pish followed by the poor little me rhetoric.

I'm assuming based on the sheer number of folk defending him that I'm wrong. Not condescending or toys out of the pram or poor little me (whatever that's referring to).

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 10:58 AM
He's at the peak as in the club he's at. Ryan's getting towards his peak at 23.

When did he sign for Hibs?

CraigHibee
22-02-2022, 11:00 AM

exactly, he can't be accountable for his pals actions

Hibs90
22-02-2022, 11:04 AM
Ryan has done absolutely nothing wrong. Some of you on here desperate to paint him the wrong way, just like the media.

Keith_M
22-02-2022, 11:07 AM
So RP is out with some mates, one of whom does something stupid.

RP tells him not to do it... but some people are blaming him?

Hunbelievable, Jeff

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 11:08 AM
Ryan has done absolutely nothing wrong. Some of you on here desperate to paint him the wrong way, just like the media.

I don't think I've seen anyone say he done anything wrong on this thread (apologies if I've missed any posts saying this).

I've seen people suggesting he would be best advised to consider who he hangs about with if he wants to fulfil his potential - which in a lot of cases has wrongly been taken as blaming him.

Shrekko
22-02-2022, 11:10 AM
The way they use words to trick moronic readers into almost assuming it was actually Ryan who did the deed is an absolute disgrace.

Very similar to an article written about Jason Cummings years ago which resulted in years of disgusting terracing abuse.

Heisenberg
22-02-2022, 11:19 AM
I’ve seen some huns saying this is a sackable offence and he should lose his job. Thick *****.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 11:20 AM
I’m sure he can continue in the game, as he is doing, without ditching his mates and becoming a precious ballerina sort. When he gets his move they’ll still be his mates.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 11:21 AM
I’ve seen some huns saying this is a sackable offence and he should lose his job. Thick *****.

Are any of them saying he should ditch his pals?

degenerated
22-02-2022, 11:22 AM
Who should working class footballers hang around with?Perhaps they could submit a list to respective clubs fans forums for it to be voted on. It could be presented top trumps style with scores for behavioural and cultural attributes of proposed friends.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 11:22 AM
Are any of them saying he should ditch his pals?

I wouldn't have thought so - they want him to fail don't they?

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't have thought so - they want him to fail don't they?

No idea. I don’t know the Huns the fellah is referring to. He’s going to fail unless he bins his pals is your absolute take then is it? This ‘isolated’ incident being why.

The Harp Awakes
22-02-2022, 11:32 AM

:faf:

One of Ryan's mates gets p1ssed and nicks an item from someone's garden. The non-story is sensationalised by the Daily Rangers and the hun bigots go into total meltdown and demand Ryan is sacked.

Dearie me. What a wierd world we live in.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 11:39 AM
No idea. I don’t know the Huns the fellah is referring to. He’s going to fail unless he bins his pals is your absolute take then is it? This ‘isolated’ incident being why.

No - but there’s more chance of it happening.

I’ve heard stories about him/them on nights out that I’ve not repeated on here. If there’s nothing to worry about that’s fine - no harm in him and the club having a wee think about it though.

Diclonius
22-02-2022, 11:51 AM

And when 4,000 of them chant "dirty ****** *******" at him next time they come to ER not a single one of them will lose their jobs and there will be no outraged DR headlines.

WeeRussell
22-02-2022, 12:04 PM
I get some people are trying to take the sensible/professional view in terms of Ryan hanging about with different people to protect his career (even though I am fully in the 'there is absolutely nothing to hold against Ryan Porteous' camp here) however...

He's not some 13 year old who's got into the wrong crowd. His mate has been caught doing something daft... that's it. How many of us would have many friends left at all if we all 'got new friends' any time one of them did something daft?

Yes he's in a different position through his employment, but it doesn't necessarily mean he should be ditching his mates. I don't know if this is a lifelong pal of his or what, but I'd actually think he was more of a d1ck if he suddenly decided he didn't have time for his pals because one of them lifted a wreath in a stupid drunken moment.. just because he plays for Hibs. We can all lose friends if they are bad news or don't deserve our friendship and we actually fall out with them... but calling for this because of one incident, that the Daily Record are giving it their usual on, seems over the top to me.

Friendships are important. Some may say more important than football and (alleged effects on) careers.

Daily Hibs
22-02-2022, 12:14 PM

Excellent post and exactly what I was alluding to earlier in my post.

How many players have we had that have been caught up in daft situations and potentially in a sliding doors type fashion have been career restricting affecting the club financially?

A lot of posters are missing the wider point, are the club doing enough on player conduct or coming down hard enough on them? We have already seen Joe Newell involved in a situation this season. I think our players need to be more professional in the main and like Pretty Boy says, trips to the local should be well off limits.

overdrive
22-02-2022, 12:20 PM
Some very bizarre comments.

It is a similar situation (albeit nowhere near as serious a crime, obviously) as the incident which resulted in Jason Cummings getting the "paedo" chants directed at him. I don't think anyone on here slated JC as being guilty by association (and quite rightly so) or said he should have ditched all his pals who happened to be at that party because someone he knows happened to do something bad in his vicinity.

In fact, it looks like RP tried to stop the guy.

easty
22-02-2022, 12:23 PM

How many players have we had that have been caught up in daft situations and potentially in a sliding doors type fashion have been career restricting affecting the club financially?

A lot of posters are missing the wider point, are the club doing enough on player conduct or coming down hard enough on them? We have already seen Joe Newell involved in a situation this season. I think our players need to be more professional in the main and like Pretty Boy says, trips to the local should be well off limits.

Whose "daft situations" have affected us financially?

How hard exactly do you want the club to come down on Porteous for his pal stealing something out a garden, then returning it and apologising?

Daily Hibs
22-02-2022, 12:26 PM
Some very bizarre comments.

It is a similar situation (albeit nowhere near as serious a crime, obviously) as the incident which resulted in Jason Cummings getting the "paedo" chants directed at him. I don't think anyone on here slated JC as being guilty by association (and quite rightly so) or said he should have ditched all his pals who happened to be at that party because someone he knows happened to do something bad in his vicinity.

In fact, it looks like RP tried to stop the guy.

Innocently or not, Its yet another Hibs player in a long list of players who have been in the papers for off field stuff. Are the club doing enough to educate the players on this type of thing?

Daily Hibs
22-02-2022, 12:28 PM
Whose "daft situations" have affected us financially?

How hard exactly do you want the club to come down on Porteous for his pal stealing something out a garden, then returning it and apologising?

If you understand the point I'm making, I'm not saying the club should do anything to Porteous.

overdrive
22-02-2022, 12:31 PM
Innocently or not, Its yet another Hibs player in a long list of players who have been in the papers for off field stuff. Are the club doing enough to educate the players on this type of thing?

Educate them on what? How to predict when someone they know is going to do something wrong? How to be a hermit?

mcohibs
22-02-2022, 12:32 PM

Rag of a newspaper runs a complete non story about one of our players doing absolutely nothing wrong (and in fact in the video he disagrees with his mate's behaviour) and you choose to blame not only the player but the club also?

Congrats on getting your knickers in a twist over nothing - mission accomplished for the paper. Thought our supporters would be wise enough to see through that sort of thing by tabloids but obviously not.

Mr. Wonderful
22-02-2022, 12:45 PM
Bang on

Is it though? Is holding others to higher standards than you hold yourself really something we should celebrate?

I understand these comments in regards to, say, Stokes' outside of football actions and his "friends" links to the IRA but a daft drunken laddie taking a wreath? Really?

Zambernardi1875
22-02-2022, 01:19 PM
I’ve got a feeling Porto has got this far in his career by taking absolutely no advice from anybody on this forum and I hope that continues

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 01:21 PM
No - but there’s more chance of it happening.

I’ve heard stories about him/them on nights out that I’ve not repeated on here. If there’s nothing to worry about that’s fine - no harm in him and the club having a wee think about it though.

No harm. Take care.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 01:24 PM

Where does it say in his contract that when you become a footballer that you must dump your mates and be a recluse for the rest of your career, what wrong decision has he made, did he take the wreath, what did he do wrong here.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 01:25 PM
Where does it say in his contract that when you become a footballer that you must dump your mates and be a recluse for the rest of your career, what wrong decision has he made, did he take the wreath, what did he do wrong here.

He knows someone who's a bit of a dick, hang him i say.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 01:28 PM

Yip, Ryan has done nothing here, the story should be about the person who took the wreath, but the Record spinning it to make out Ryan has done something wrong when he hasn’t.

Iggy Pope
22-02-2022, 01:29 PM

It’s neither excellent nor adding anything to your original point which was rubbish Hertz ***** anyway. 22 years of misconduct? Away with yourselves.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 01:30 PM

He didn't get in a taxi or leave earlier. That would've been a smart decision along the lines of what Brightside says.

Smartie
22-02-2022, 01:34 PM
He didn't get in a taxi or leave earlier. That would've been a smart decision along the lines of what Brightside says.

Seriously?

Were there warning signs that a wreath stealing incident was about to take place that Ryan ignored, when he could have left or got in a taxi?

Surely I'm not the only one who has been on countless nights out where a mate has opted to do something f'ing stupid and there was absolutely nothing you could or should do to either stop it or make yourself scarce short of encouraging the person to stop being a twat?

Which I'm led to believe is exactly what Porto did?

Jones28
22-02-2022, 01:36 PM
Seriously?

Were there warning signs that a wreath stealing incident was about to take place that Ryan ignored, when he could have left or got in a taxi?

Surely I'm not the only one who has been on countless nights out where a mate has opted to do something f'ing stupid and there was absolutely nothing you could or should do to either stop it or make yourself scarce short of encouraging the person to stop being a twat?

I had a mate who punched a bus stop and broke his hand.

If only I'd left earlier..

Jones28
22-02-2022, 01:38 PM
If I'm right in thinking there is a video of this, why is the Record not linking the video with article?

It's because the video shows RP trying to get the guy to stop, before leaving.

Going against the narrative of the DR.

The ***** that they are.

They're long overdue being invited to never darken the door of ER or East Mains again.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 01:43 PM
Seriously?

I had a mate who punched a bus stop and broke his hand.

If only I'd left earlier..

Were either of you footballers (or anything with a profile) who had a "media vendetta" against them?

Just going round in circles. I can't work out if I'm not explaining myself, if folk don't understand or if they deliberately miss the point.

Smartie
22-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Were either of you footballers (or anything with a profile) who had a "media vendetta" against them?

Just going round in circles. I can't work out if I'm not explaining myself, if folk don't understand or if they deliberately miss the point.

I was not.

Do we not need to be realistic about the standard of behaviour we expect of our players? As much as I know of this incident, Ryan's behaviour was exemplary. He should be allowed to go out with his mates. I've little doubt that he'll have had strong words with his mate about the fuss that this has caused.

What do you genuinely expect of him? That he never goes out? What could / should he have done to stop this, or avoid the situation?

I think he needs to think a bit more about the way he dives into tackles at times. I think he needs on occasion to be more careful about the way he plays out of trouble. Personally I think he's maybe getting a wee bit arrogant, feels he has outgrown us a bit and probably needs a fresh start football-wise to properly kick on as a player. He needs paid more, to be operating at a higher level and to have a wee bit more fear of loss again, and he has for me developed an air of complacency that would quickly disappear following a move. I actually rate him really highly and believe he could go very far in the game, possibly just a wee bit short of our old favourite, SJM.

This incident does not change my opinion of him in any way. It's a disgusting hatchet job, pure and simple, and needs called out for what it is. It certainly doesn't merit having Hibs fans jumping in against the player.

I respect that fact that you (as alluded to earlier in the thread) may have more incidents to call upon, more local knowledge and more context than I do upon which to base your opinion but from my position of relative ignorance - this is a pile of absolute nonsense.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 02:00 PM

Should Phil Foden have taken his mates to the boxing, Pickford the goalie has had a few scrapes in his time, I could go on but getting into a bit bother doesn’t stop your career progressing, if you are good enough clubs will sign them as has been seen in the past, Ronaldo was accused of rape and made a payment to the victim, didn’t stop clubs paying millions of pounds for his services, Harry McGuire spent a few nights in jail abroad and is playing at a high level, this incident where Ryan has done nothing wrong won’t stop clubs from bidding for him in the summer.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 02:11 PM

It’s not just a wreath!

The house owner should have reported it to the police and as you know bud the police would have dealt with the person who took the wreath, the other people would not have been spoken to as the video shows they were not involved, don’t know if any privacy laws have been broken here as the people not involved should have there faces blocked as they have done nothing wrong.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Should Phil Foden have taken his mates to the boxing, Pickford the goalie has had a few scrapes in his time, I could go on but getting into a bit bother doesn’t stop your career progressing, if you are good enough clubs will sign them as has been seen in the past, Ronaldo was accused of rape and made a payment to the victim, didn’t stop clubs paying millions of pounds for his services, Harry McGuire spent a few nights in jail abroad and is playing at a high level, this incident where Ryan has done nothing wrong won’t stop clubs from bidding for him in the summer.

I get what you are saying and I daresay if Ryan is good enough he will still get a big move.

The sportspeople who make it to the very top make sacrifices though. I'm not sure if it's a Scottish thing, a UK thing or just a football thing but there seems to be guys that want to live their non football life as normal whilst treating their career as just a job. That's entirely up to the individual of course but I'm not sure it's conductive to being the absolute best you can be. I'm not convinced Andy Murray or Tom Brady were hanging about whatever equivalent of the Woodburn Club was in their neighbourhoods at 22. Missing a few nights out in your early 20s is a pretty small price to pay if it means you are earning tens of thousands a week and playing at the top level a short time down the line.

There's no requirement for guys to lock themselves away as some seem to think has been implied but a few smart choices can make a big difference to career prospects. John Collins and Paul Le Guen were banging this drum well over a decade ago though and it seems there is still a reluctance to accept the truth about the benefits of living your entire life as a professional athlete even now, among some players and fans.

Tambo
22-02-2022, 02:12 PM
If I'm right in thinking there is a video of this, why is the Record not linking the video with article?

It's because the video shows RP trying to get the guy to stop, before leaving.

Going against the narrative of the DR.

The ***** that they are.

They're long overdue being invited to never darken the door of ER or East Mains again.

The record have had it in for Ryan for a long time now. Is it just my eye sight or is everyone's face blurred apart from Ryan? **** journalism as expected.

Your post could be true and I don't think Ryan has done anything wrong here apart from being labeled guilty by association.

Speedy
22-02-2022, 02:18 PM
The house owner should have reported it to the police and as you know bud the police would have dealt with the person who took the wreath, the other people would not have been spoken to as the video shows they were not involved, don’t know if any privacy laws have been broken here as the people not involved should have there faces blocked as they have done nothing wrong.

The image was shown on a local facebook group on Sunday morning, with a message along the lines of 'this wreath means a lot to me, this is your opportunity to return it before you are reported'

It was subsequently updated to say the person who took it had been in touch, returned it (damaged and with important personal items missing) and apologised.

The post was then deemed resolved and removed.

However, it resurfaced when someone else noticed Porteous was in the background.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 02:31 PM
I get what you are saying and I daresay if Ryan is good enough he will still get a big move.

The sportspeople who make it to the very top make sacrifices though. I'm not sure if it's a Scottish thing, a UK thing or just a football thing but there seems to be guys that want to live their non football life as normal whilst treating their career as just a job. That's entirely up to the individual of course but I'm not sure it's conductive to being the absolute best you can be. I'm not convinced Andy Murray or Tom Brady were hanging about whatever equivalent of the Woodburn Club was in their neighbourhoods at 22. Missing a few nights out in your early 20s is a pretty small price to pay if it means you are earning tens of thousands a week and playing at the top level a short time down the line.

There's no requirement for guys to lock themselves away as some seem to think has been implied but a few smart choices can make a big difference to career prospects. John Collins and Paul Le Guen were banging this drum well over a decade ago though and it seems there is still a reluctance to accept the truth about the benefits of living your entire life as a professional athlete even now, among some players and fans.

Kind of gets to the point I was trying to make.

allezsauzee
22-02-2022, 02:31 PM
It would seem that the Daily Ranger's toalie stirring article has had it's desired affect then.....

Sir David Gray
22-02-2022, 02:34 PM

Yep agree with all of that.

Since452
22-02-2022, 02:37 PM
So was Melkersen carried off or did he walk off? Did anyone find out?

flash
22-02-2022, 02:39 PM
So was Melkersen carried off or did he walk off? Did anyone find out?

Drove off in a tuktuk apparently.

Hedlund12
22-02-2022, 02:51 PM
I get some people are trying to take the sensible/professional view in terms of Ryan hanging about with different people to protect his career (even though I am fully in the 'there is absolutely nothing to hold against Ryan Porteous' camp here) however...

He's not some 13 year old who's got into the wrong crowd. His mate has been caught doing something daft... that's it. How many of us would have many friends left at all if we all 'got new friends' any time one of them did something daft?

Yes he's in a different position through his employment, but it doesn't necessarily mean he should be ditching his mates. I don't know if this is a lifelong pal of his or what, but I'd actually think he was more of a d1ck if he suddenly decided he didn't have time for his pals because one of them lifted a wreath in a stupid drunken moment.. just because he plays for Hibs. We can all lose friends if they are bad news or don't deserve our friendship and we actually fall out with them... but calling for this because of one incident, that the Daily Record are giving it their usual on, seems over the top to me.

Friendships are important. Some may say more important than football and (alleged effects on) careers.

Excellent post...
Not condoning the behaviour of Ryan's mate.. he was clearly in the wrong and I believe the friend called the lady on Sunday to apologise after the photo was shared on a public forum.
Friendships work two ways. I'm hoping Ryan's mate has learned a valuable lesson from his stupid irresponsible actions.
(And consequently the bad publicity it has put upon Ryan).
I'm sure we've had our fill of radges or loveable rogues in squads at ER.
I know lots of people that have a daft friend/idiot in their circle of friends but it doesn't mean you need to turn your back on them.
Last thing... you learn more from mistakes in life than you do from getting everything right!

Aldo
22-02-2022, 02:57 PM

Should have Silver but used Social Media to get their property back. The police may however have spoken to the others to identify the person responsible!

As for privacy/data protection, I think that’s a can of worms.

I think whilst those responsible have clearly stolen the wreath the DR and others have a lot to answer for in all this running it about Ryan. Yes he was there but did the DR and co really need to run this?

Hibbyradge
22-02-2022, 03:05 PM
He knows someone who's a bit of a dick, hang him i say.

Oh sh*t. I'm in trouble then.

Scotty Leither
22-02-2022, 03:07 PM
It would seem that the Daily Ranger's toalie stirring article has had it's desired affect then.....

It’s not unreasonable for Hibs fans on a Hibs forum to comment about a Hibs player in the news, irrespective of what news outlet it’s printed in/reported from.

Part of the discussion it’s subsequently driven is that a few posters, myself included reckon that enough’s enough with that **** rag now, and the club should be withdrawing press passes from its “reporters” and telling them and its employer they’re not welcome any more.

They’re no loss to anybody, they’re certainly no friend to the club, and I hope it and the other pernicious rags, Sun, Mail, and Express all cease publication in the next 5 years.

Hibs90
22-02-2022, 03:34 PM
Hibs need to get the Record and it’s reporters banned from ER and HTC.

Had enough of them **** stirring over the years, and let’s not forget the crap after the cup final. Dempster didn’t want to ban them, maybe Ron and Ben will.

Absolute rag.

Bostonhibby
22-02-2022, 03:37 PM
Innocently or not, Its yet another Hibs player in a long list of players who have been in the papers for off field stuff. Are the club doing enough to educate the players on this type of thing?How long is this list you speak off?

Are we at the Vladimir Romanov/Graham Rix / Thomson level of offensive criminal offending, or just idiots making mistakes?

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 03:41 PM
He can't do anything if one of his drunk pals want to take a memento of a night out from someones garden. I would doubt they would have even known what is was and the person who done it apologised first thing the next day.

Although shan on the lady of who has lost a parent and the wreath and broach (which I really hope can be found) has been damaged how can anyone pin the blame on Porteous?

It's not as if he was drunk and got behind the wheel of a car. Something our players have done and had well less condemnation put on them.

blackpoolhibs
22-02-2022, 03:41 PM
Oh sh*t. I'm in trouble then.
:faf: Sod off.

WeeRussell
22-02-2022, 03:49 PM

It shouldn’t take a football club to tell anyone that drink driving is an irresponsible and stupid thing to do.

Nor does witnessing someone lift a wreath from a garden equate to drink driving.

There is no wider point in relation to this non-story.

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 03:49 PM

It could be worse. It could be a player we employ who soberly groomed a wee lassie and was convicted of it and defended by the club. Do they clubs do enough to educate their players? Probably not when the same club employed a jailed sex beast as manager going with a 14 year old girl in his mid 40s. They now have save the children as a sponsor. Be the equivalent as Raith Rovers being sponsored by a woman victim charity.

BSEJVT
22-02-2022, 04:04 PM

There is, without doubt, an Anti-Hibs Agenda in the press

Whether that is the papers or the TV it exists

Anything to tarnish the club or its players is seized upon, where at other clubs it wouldn't be reported

We should be using that to build a siege mentality, instead of queuing up to add fuel to the fire

Hibs90
22-02-2022, 04:12 PM
It could be worse. It could be a player we employ who soberly groomed a wee lassie and was convicted of it and defended by the club. Do they clubs do enough to educate their players? Probably not when the same club employed a jailed sex beast as manager going with a 14 year old girl in his mid 40s. They now have save the children as a sponsor. Be the equivalent as Raith Rovers being sponsored by a woman victim charity.

:aok::wink:

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 04:31 PM
Who should working class footballers hang around with?

Tories :greengrin

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 05:18 PM

Probably just as many as Hearts Rangers Celtc Aberdeen Dundee Utd etc etc etc.

andudare2
22-02-2022, 05:58 PM

For some reason it’s never his fault - adding a bit of personal responsibility would help him fulfil his potential.you make it sound that it's a regular occurrence that Ryan is well aware will happen when out with them,bit of a stetch on your part imo.

McD
22-02-2022, 06:01 PM
I miss the days of battered elvis impersonators and pole dancing.The pearl clutching is mad.

I'm pretty sure that the person who posted the picture is violating privacy laws by filming the street I'm without obvious signage and showing the faces of people who weren't involved.

how do you know there’s not appropriate signage?

and even then, they’re on a public street, so no expectation of privacy there. And, the person who entered the garden has trespassed on private property so again they’d have no leg to stand on in terms of claiming their privacy had been breached.

there are thousands of houses where the residents have cctv, ring doorbells, etc. they’re not breaking any privacy laws at all, just as someone filming/taking pictures in a public place isn’t breaking any privacy laws.

GRA
22-02-2022, 06:03 PM
There is, without doubt, an Anti-Hibs Agenda in the press

Whether that is the papers or the TV it exists

Anything to tarnish the club or its players is seized upon, where at other clubs it wouldn't be reported

We should be using that to build a siege mentality, instead of queuing up to add fuel to the fire

This 100%. I've lost count the number of times the medi have spun even the most trivial things negatively about our club. Sir Alex Ferguson was the master of the seige mentality mind games we need to adopt this approach for our benefit.

hibsbollah
22-02-2022, 06:11 PM
This 100%. I've lost count the number of times the medi have spun even the most trivial things negatively about our club. Sir Alex Ferguson was the master of the seige mentality mind games we need to adopt this approach for our benefit.

To be fair, you can do the siege mentality thing whether you get good press or bad press, you just make it up. Thats certainly what Ferguson did at Man U. (Although he had justifiable reason for complaint when he was at Aberdeen, from what i remember from reading the papers as a 13 year old).

The BBC Scotland pundits and the Daily Record relationships with Hibs are both really peculiar, even troll-like. Its not even up for debate anymore.

Carheenlea
22-02-2022, 06:28 PM
You have to keep reminding yourself that Ryan Porteous has done nothing wrong, behaved inappropriately or broken any laws.

A few pages reading the thread fools you into defending him, but there is nothing to defend him from.

That’s the danger and power of a main stream media stirring a narrative, primarily for media clicks, and maybe to tarnish the name of players or clubs they don’t particularly like. Depending of course on the authors and their own personal prejudices.

Mcbizz1998
22-02-2022, 06:30 PM
This is such a non-event. He did nothing wrong and even his mate was daft, not bad.

Move on.

GreenGray
22-02-2022, 06:36 PM

This is daft. This sort of thing happens at every club up and down the country. In fact it happens at every employer of any business up and down the country, our players just seem to be called it for it more, possibly due to increased media scrutiny . Boys will be boys, humans will be humans. Clamping down on people will just anger them and force them to leave.

500miles
22-02-2022, 07:03 PM
how do you know there’s not appropriate signage?

and even then, they’re on a public street, so no expectation of privacy there. And, the person who entered the garden has trespassed on private property so again they’d have no leg to stand on in terms of claiming their privacy had been breached.

there are thousands of houses where the residents have cctv, ring doorbells, etc. they’re not breaking any privacy laws at all, just as someone filming/taking pictures in a public place isn’t breaking any privacy laws.

The guy who stole the wreath did trespass on private property. Nobody else did though. Their image has been banded around social media, when recordings are meant to be kept secure with limited access. And that's before we get on to the signage issue - which a lot of ring users don't consider.

There are myriad privacy and data protection issues at play and I would be surprised if there hasn't been some violation.

I'm not saying Porto should sue by the way, I'm just trying to highlight the irresponsibility of the press and the misguidedness in the original Facebook Post.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 07:03 PM

Why would he leave earlier, maybe the taxi had been ordered or he was waiting to get picked up and decided to get some fresh air before heading to his next destination, Underscore is not always right. The lad is a footballer not some soothsayer.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 07:20 PM
Why would he leave earlier, maybe the taxi had been ordered or he was waiting to get picked up and decided to get some fresh air before heading to his next destination, Underscore is not always right. The lad is a footballer not some soothsayer.

To avoid trouble or incident and protect his career.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 07:29 PM

Maybe it is a British thing, Murray left Scotland when he was a young age, 15 I think, who knows how it would have turned out for him had he stayed in one of the most unhealthiest places to live “Scotland” he may have been out with the lads if his mum didn’t move him out of Scotland, I don’t know much about Brady, as far as I know there is nothing in football contracts to say they have to live like a athlete 24/7 yearly, it’s not a new thing with football players, the FF 5 liked a good bevvy, some of the best players to play the game have had to go out and socialise and have won everything in the game, Ryan looks like he looks after himself and that will not stop him getting a good move in the future.

silverhibee
22-02-2022, 07:45 PM

Had enough of them **** stirring over the years, and let’s not forget the crap after the cup final. Dempster didn’t want to ban them, maybe Ron and Ben will.

Absolute rag.

We hired one of the reporters from the Record who put his name to one of these stories about the final.

wallpaperman
22-02-2022, 08:46 PM
You have to keep reminding yourself that Ryan Porteous has done nothing wrong, behaved inappropriately or broken any laws.

A few pages reading the thread fools you into defending him, but there is nothing to defend him from.

That’s the danger and power of a main stream media stirring a narrative, primarily for media clicks, and maybe to tarnish the name of players or clubs they don’t particularly like. Depending of course on the authors and their own personal prejudices.

I agree with what you are saying, but in his position when everyone has their phone ready, he needs to make smarter decisions going forward.

Mick O'Rourke
22-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Tories :greengrin

The ones that make a good few bob usually do, through the posh golf club, then the craft !! :greengrin

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 09:12 PM
To avoid trouble or incident and protect his career.

It's not as if he can see into the future though?

Porteous is actually staying away from town and trouble. He's a young lad not want to be ripped off his pals leaving early or acting different, guys at that age do anything to avoid a ripping. He's out with his pals and one of them was smashed and done something stupid. He didn't get into a mass brawl (decent being in the woodburn) didn't get behind the wheel of a car drunk. Just walked up the road with his mates and one of them was a tit. I'm sure the mate who's done it has been ripped to shreds over it and the laddie will be guilty as anything.

Again, Ryan Porteous has done absolutely nothing wrong here, apart from not being able to guess into the future.

CentreLine
22-02-2022, 09:13 PM
Record now headlining that RP is being investigated after a woman was struck by a thrown glass outside Woodburn Miners about half two on Monday morning. Naturally the story is a bit vague on detail but does say he is “the centre” of the investigation. A woman was taken to hospital but suffered no serious injury it says. Also mentions that a group of people were subjecting RP to abuse it appears before the strengthened glass tumbler incident.

I’d say, let’s wait and see the truth of the matter rather than take the word of the daily the ranger

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 09:14 PM
We hired one of the reporters from the Record who put his name to one of these stories about the final.

Who was that? If you're thinking of Kenny he's never worked for the Record.

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Record now headlining that RP is being investigated after a woman was struck by a thrown glass outside Woodburn Miners about half two on Monday morning. Naturally the story is a bit vague on detain but does say he is “the centre” of the investigation. A woman was taken to hospital but suffered no serious injury it says. Also mentions that a group of people were subjecting RP to abuse it appears before the strengthened glass tumbler incident.

I’d say, let’s wait and see the truth of the matter rather than take the word of the daily the ranger

Wars happen every weekend at that place.

CentreLine
22-02-2022, 09:24 PM
Wars happen every weekend at that place.

That’s true and was ever the case.

Speedy
22-02-2022, 09:39 PM
Record now headlining that RP is being investigated after a woman was struck by a thrown glass outside Woodburn Miners about half two on Monday morning. Naturally the story is a bit vague on detail but does say he is “the centre” of the investigation. A woman was taken to hospital but suffered no serious injury it says. Also mentions that a group of people were subjecting RP to abuse it appears before the strengthened glass tumbler incident.

I also read that on Sunday. If there was any truth that RP was involved, I'd be surprised if it took so long to be reported.

As you say, woodburn is a riot more often than not.

Heisenberg
22-02-2022, 09:42 PM

If he’s been fighting then there’s no defending him.

CentreLine
22-02-2022, 09:47 PM

If he started a fight that might be so but if he was attacked that would be a different matter surely? The record article is short on facts so hard to tell.

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 09:57 PM

If he was fighting it wouldn't just be the record saying allegedly because they've had the garden story confirmed (again RP done nothing wrong)

This happened on Saturday night. The Sun and EEN would be all over it by now.

Again, they are trying to create stories to get clicks and sells for stickies - and it works. Porteous is gold for them just now.

Danderhall Hibs
22-02-2022, 10:00 PM
If he was fighting it wouldn't just be the record saying allegedly because they've had the garden story confirmed (again RP done nothing wrong)

This happened on Saturday night. The Sun and EEN would be all over it by now.

Again, they are trying to create stories to get clicks and sells for stickies - and it works. Porteous is gold for them just now.

Clearly they get clicks etc from printing about him - why doesn’t he make sure they’ve nothing to print?

The 90+2
22-02-2022, 10:10 PM
Clearly they get clicks etc from printing about him - why doesn’t he make sure they’ve nothing to print?

His job is to be a footballer for Hibernian FC. It's not to go out his way to make sure a **** paper who has it in for our club doesn't print stories about him to sell to The Stickies fans. They've seen how many clicks/sells they've had with the story they've produced then went again with something completely made up, that our club should go to town on them for. It won't be anytime soon though, because the girl in the garden didn't call the police and accepted the apology. Outside the Woodburn is now a police matter that's fk all to do with RP but by the time it goes to charges nobody will care. It's creative ****bag journalism.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2022, 10:59 PM

percy veer
22-02-2022, 11:11 PM

Absolute rag.

100% agree, I put that in that survey hope a few others did aswell.

Smartie
22-02-2022, 11:28 PM
Quite an allegation to be making.

If true, he should be in hot water.

I don't normally go for the Sevcoesque banning of critical reporters or newspapers, but if they go sticking that on their front page without being able to back it up 100% then I don't see why Hibs should be co-operating with them in any way, especially given the history over the past decade.

Sir David Gray
22-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Quite an allegation to be making.

If true, he should be in hot water.

I don't normally go for the Sevcoesque banning of critical reporters or newspapers, but if they go sticking that on their front page without being able to back it up 100% then I don't see why Hibs should be co-operating with them in any way, especially given the history over the past decade.

Yep if it's not true then Hibs definitely need to be taking some strong action against this "newspaper" and ban them from Easter Road. To be honest even if it is true I think Hibs should be taking action but that's another story.

Hopefully Hibs can establish the full facts here and if he has done something wrong then of course they need to deal with that accordingly.

davhibby
22-02-2022, 11:46 PM

What would you like him to do? Sit in a darkened room anytime there isn’t training or a game?

With the original incident he had done nothing wrong at all and your earlier point about getting a taxi falls a bit flat as it’s almost impossible to get a taxi at the weekends these days.

The thing in the DR tonight sounds very hard to believe and is also accusing him of something that would struggle to get you or I kicked out of a football stadium. Hopefully Hibs finally fight his corner after months of ignoring some of the awful journalism that has targeted Ryan relating to stuff on the field this season.

easty
22-02-2022, 11:54 PM

Front page????

There’s nothing in the online article, updated a couple of hours ago. that suggests it had anything at all to do with Ryan Porteous, yet they’ve absolutely nailed it on him with that front page.

If it turns out that it did have nowt to do with him, then that rag should never be allowed in Easter Road again, and Ryan should take them to court for defamation of character.

Since452
23-02-2022, 05:24 AM

Full scale war about to break out in Europe but wait... Ryan Porteous threw a plastic tumbler.

Get them banned Hibs. Been at it since 2016.

Aldo
23-02-2022, 06:00 AM
Full scale war about to break out in Europe but wait... Ryan Porteous threw a plastic tumbler.

Get them banned Hibs. Been at it since 2016.

Looks like they’ve changed the wording online. One minute it’s the headline above and now it’s him being probed after woman struck by a tumbler.

Looks like they printed initially saying it was him.

Fuzzywuzzy
23-02-2022, 06:13 AM
"He was part of a group of men that stole a wreath in memory of a dementia sufferer" or " he was walking passed a garden when one of his mates went in to the garden and stole a wreath"

The record seem to have a hard on for ryan

JimBHibees
23-02-2022, 06:39 AM
Looks like they’ve changed the wording online. One minute it’s the headline above and now it’s him being probed after woman struck by a tumbler.

Looks like they printed initially saying it was him.

If I was Ryan I would be getting a lawyer involved to sue them given that headline if not true.

JamesHFC
23-02-2022, 06:46 AM
Porteous is seriously living rent free in a lot of heads.

LaMotta
23-02-2022, 06:48 AM
If I was Ryan I would be getting a lawyer involved to sue them given that headline if not true.

Will their get out not be that they have the headline in quote marks? So they are reporting the allegation somebody made about him, rather than any proof of him actually doing anything?

There was a deleted tweet by a Jambo on Monday at some point alledging he glassed someone. Could even just be reffering to that.

Sir David Gray
23-02-2022, 06:53 AM
Front page????

There’s nothing in the online article, updated a couple of hours ago. that suggests it had anything at all to do with Ryan Porteous, yet they’ve absolutely nailed it on him with that front page.

If it turns out that it did have nowt to do with him, then that rag should never be allowed in Easter Road again, and Ryan should take them to court for defamation of character.

Yes that's their front page of today's edition - at least it was 8 hours ago when I posted it.

green day
23-02-2022, 07:03 AM
Yes that's their front page of today's edition - at least it was 8 hours ago when I posted it.

And was used by Radio Scotland in their papers roundup.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2022, 07:10 AM
What would you like him to do? Sit in a darkened room anytime there isn’t training or a game?

With the original incident he had done nothing wrong at all and your earlier point about getting a taxi falls a bit flat as it’s almost impossible to get a taxi at the weekends these days. .

Suggestions have been made on this thread that mean he doesn’t have to “sit in a darkened room” but many are unwilling to accept he should look out for himself and think he should just take it as it comes. It’s a better laugh that way.

green day
23-02-2022, 07:17 AM
If he has done what the DR suggests then he may be charged by the police and might be disciplined by Hibs.

That, of course is a big if, if I was a betting man I would wager that no action will be taken.

I make no apologies for defending him yesterday about his pal and the wreath - because he did nothing wrong.

Also, if this turns out to be a big fat nothing, I hope Hibs - this time - come out and publicly call out the Daily Record for that front page and remove their accreditation for Easter Road.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2022, 07:26 AM
If he has done what the DR suggests then he may be charged by the police and might be disciplined by Hibs.

That, of course is a big if, if I was a betting man I would wager that no action will be taken.

I make no apologies for defending him yesterday about his pal and the wreath - because he did nothing wrong.

Also, if this turns out to be a big fat nothing, I hope Hibs - this time - come out and publicly call out the Daily Record for that front page and remove their accreditation for Easter Road.

The front page is a shocker either way. The club should be speaking/banning the DR and as I've said guiding RP in the right direction.

James70
23-02-2022, 07:32 AM
The weegie media are out to get him one way or another to force him out of Scottish football. Must be a very slow news day.

Brightside
23-02-2022, 07:45 AM
Suggestions have been made on this thread that mean he doesn’t have to “sit in a darkened room” but many are unwilling to accept he should look out for himself and think he should just take it as it comes. It’s a better laugh that way.

I’d give Woodburn Club a miss for starters. The place was and always has been full of under age kids / drugs / trouble. But maybe that’s the Tory in me and I’m not working class enough.

ian cruise
23-02-2022, 07:51 AM
If he's hit someone with a tumbler, plastic or not, he should rightly be disciplined by the club.

If he has not, and given it's only the DR reporting I'd guess that's the case, then he definitely needs to be looking at taking action against the Daily Record and make them think twice un future about the stories they post un relation to him.

JimBHibees
23-02-2022, 07:51 AM
Will their get out not be that they have the headline in quote marks? So they are reporting the allegation somebody made about him, rather than any proof of him actually doing anything?

There was a deleted tweet by a Jambo on Monday at some point alledging he glassed someone. Could even just be reffering to that.

Don't think the quote marks would matter imo however not a lawyer though if they have in fact changed the wording and will not be checking that is for sure it sounds like they got spooked about the headline themselves.

Danderhall Hibs
23-02-2022, 07:55 AM
I’d give Woodburn Club a miss for starters. The place was and always has been full of under age kids / drugs / trouble. But maybe that’s the Tory in me and I’m not working class enough.

It wasn’t bad in the 90s - band were good and the drinks were cheap but the bingo annoyed me. Now it’s where the underagers go.

Not sure why the class thing was brought into it earlier - is a guy earning £100k classed as working class?

ian cruise
23-02-2022, 07:56 AM
Don't think the quote marks would matter imo however not a lawyer though if they have in fact changed the wording and will not be checking that is for sure it sounds like they got spooked about the headline themselves.

I'd have thought he'd have enough to claim defamation of character by them posting it on front page and online in a manner that suggests he was involved if there's no proof that was the case.

There must be multiple incidents in pubs and nightclubs footballers are in but they themselves are not involved in which aren't reported, so it's up to the Daily Record to prove why the stories with Ryan Porteous are more newsworthy, and that they aren't affecting public perception of his character unnecessarily.

JimBHibees
23-02-2022, 07:57 AM
It wasn’t bad in the 90s - band were good and the drinks were cheap but the bingo annoyed me. Now it’s where the underagers go.

Not sure why the class thing was brought into it earlier - is a guy earning £100k classed as working class?

Yep can remember it being a great night out in the 80/90s.

JimBHibees
23-02-2022, 07:59 AM
I'd have thought he'd have enough to claim defamation of character by them posting it on front page and online in a manner that suggests he was involved if there's no proof that was the case.

There must be multiple incidents in pubs and nightclubs footballers are in but they themselves are not involved in which aren't reported, so it's up to the Daily Record to prove why the stories with Ryan Porteous are more newsworthy, and that they aren't affecting public perception of his character unnecessarily.

Agree their witchhunt is sickening. Just shows don't publicly humiliate sevco and expect no comebacks from their succulent lamb fans masquerading as journalists.

Since452
23-02-2022, 08:00 AM
I'm just sick of the Daily Record. Have been ever since Keith Jackson's lies in the wake of 21/5/16 and the lack of appology. I really wish we'd publicly tell them to GTF and not allow them access to ER or EM. Embarrassing witch hunt of Porteous. There are far more pressing matters going on in the world right now.

Rumble de Thump
23-02-2022, 08:01 AM

Quite a lot of journalists and editors incorrectly think that putting a libellous comment in quote marks will offer them some sort of protection against a libel claim but it doesn't.

I'm_cabbaged
23-02-2022, 08:16 AM

Would it not be the opposite? Quote marks making it a matter if fact?

LunasBoots
23-02-2022, 08:17 AM
If he has then what an idiot, the DR however is an absolute rag who've had it in for Ryan for long enough.

flash
23-02-2022, 08:21 AM
Why is it almost always our players making the wrong kind of headlines and hardly ever Hertz?
Do the media have it in for us or is there a problem at Hibs that simply doesn't exist across town?

LaMotta
23-02-2022, 08:35 AM

Would it not be the opposite? Quote marks making it a matter if fact?

I think the quote marks signify that someone making the allegation is a matter of fact, not neccessarily that the events in question are a matter of fact.

I'm sure I read something before about this in relation to allegations being made about someone but can't think where....I could be wrong!

HIBS NUTS
23-02-2022, 08:41 AM
Why is it almost always our players making the wrong kind of headlines and hardly ever Hertz?
Do the media have it in for us or is there a problem at Hibs that simply doesn't exist across town?
The reason it’s Porto specifically and not other players, is because half of the readers are rangers fans, and they are trying to sell papers to these fans, by playing to their hatred of him,they are finding non stories.
FRONT PAGE REALLY, a plastic cup was thrown from someone in the club, and Porto was in the club. It’s pathetic 😡

500miles
23-02-2022, 08:43 AM
I've got this imagine my head of Porteous
knocking over a pint and a lassie in a rangers shirt rolling about holding her face while Tom English and Richard Gordon phone the polis.

flash
23-02-2022, 08:47 AM
The reason it’s Porto specifically and not other players, is because half of the readers are rangers fans, and they are trying to sell papers to these fans, by playing to their hatred of him,they are finding non stories.
FRONT PAGE REALLY, a plastic cup was thrown from someone in the club, and Porto was in the club. It’s pathetic 😡

OK. Simple question. If he was a Rangers player and this story was in the Evening News would your reaction be the same?

mixumatosis
23-02-2022, 08:53 AM
There's a saying about not picking a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel.

It shouldn't be up to RP to sue the paper, it can't end well. They will dredge up everything he's ever done wrong and everything that his family or friends have ever done wrong and continue to spin it in the worst way possible, for the rest of his career.

There's a limit to the extent they can play that game against the club as a whole. The club needs to take action here, not the player.

A Hi-Bee
23-02-2022, 08:58 AM
There's a saying about not picking a fight with anyone who buys ink by the barrel.

It shouldn't be up to RP to sue the paper, it can't end well. They will dredge up everything he's ever done wrong and everything that his family or friends have ever done wrong and continue to spin it in the worst way possible, for the rest of his career.

There's a limit to the extent they can play that game against the club as a whole. The club needs to take action here, not the player.

Another very good reason why he will not stay in Scotland to continue with his career, he could go to the very top but not with Hibs. He will be away in the summer enjoy his displays while you can.

HIBS NUTS
23-02-2022, 08:58 AM
OK. Simple question. If he was a Rangers player and this story was in the Evening News would your reaction be the same?
First of all the story wouldn’t be in the evening news !
Rangers player in club were plastic tumbler was thrown, wouldn’t make the front page of the Musselburgh news.
The headline is set up on first look, to make out as if he glasses someone, to entice readers in to buy there rag.
The real story appears to be a plastic tumbler was chucked by a person, and Porto was in the club.
What relation does the incident suggested in the headline have to what actually happened.

Aldo
23-02-2022, 09:17 AM

GD I really do think that done thing needs done by the club. Would appear they’ve a licence to print what they want regardless of what actually happened. This is shown with them changing the headlines.

I’d ban them and Sportsound (I think they’ve had an anti Hibs agenda for years… yes im paranoid)