PDA

View Full Version : Why are you not watching Hibs...and what would get you back

Hibees1973
20-02-2022, 03:38 PM
I've not been to a game since lockdown rules were relaxed. The last game I was at was the League Cup final. My bad.

I'm no longer a ST holder and I do give a lot of credit to the Hibs fans who have committed to this, particularly in the last couple of years. Apart from the game against Hearts at home a few weeks ago, there are thousands of Hibs supporters who have stopped going.

There are numerous reasons why our real attendances have fallen off dramatically. Just look at threads on hibs.net with people complaining about various aspects of the club. Don't think Covid can still be used as an excuse for not going as it seems the way things are now could be the way they will be in the long term.

I don't really want this thread to degenerate into one which goes down the road of everyone criticising each other for not attending.

I've got my own reasons for not attending. The main two are turgid way of playing and credentials of people in key positions as the club.

This is mainly aimed at the Hibs supporters who have stopped going. Why?

Jones28
20-02-2022, 03:39 PM
Time and money. I’ve watched Hibs at their lowest and highest points but I can’t afford football on a regular basis at the moment.

It’s why I’m hopeful they will keep the PPV option open to all supporters - totally selfish but it’s how it has to be until I can take both the kids!

Mcbizz1998
20-02-2022, 03:42 PM
I've not been to a game since lockdown rules were relaxed. The last game I was at was the League Cup final. My bad.

I'm no longer a ST holder and I do give a lot of credit to the Hibs fans who have committed to this, particularly in the last couple of years. Apart from the game against Hearts at home a few weeks ago, there are thousands of Hibs supporters who have stopped going.

There are numerous reasons why our real attendances have fallen off dramatically. Just look at threads on hibs.net with people complaining about various aspects of the club. Don't think Covid can still be used as an excuse for not going as it seems the way things are now could be the way they will be in the long term.

I don't really want this thread to degenerate into one which goes down the road of everyone criticising each other for not attending.

I've got my own reasons for not attending. The main two are turgid way of playing and credentials of people in key positions as the club.

Yeah I’m not sure what is keeping people away. I’m a season ticket holder and I couldn’t wait to get back. I had it in my head that we would be close to selling out every week when we first got back in because people would have missed it so much. Apparently not.

People keep saying it’s Covid and people are nervous to attend etc. but that doesn’t seem to worry hearts fans. Are we saying our fans are more worried about Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nicho87
20-02-2022, 03:42 PM
Didn’t renew this season as wife was pregnant and too risky for baby.

Been to a few games and was at hospitality yesterday.

Sadly not missing going to every home at the moment.

1van Sprou7e
20-02-2022, 03:53 PM
I get the impression a lot of people just don't enjoy it that much anymore

Not everyone wants to spend their Saturday stood out in the cold for two hours, often accompanied by some rather early drinking

Feel that some people used to go as a matter of habit, obviously that was broken with covid and now they've remembered that they'd prefer to do other things on a Saturday afternoon

All of the above is pure speculation btw, and I've no idea why it would disproportionately affect Hibs fans if it was true

Only thing I can see changing this is a real successful and entertaining team, like 2016-18

Mike Berry
20-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Time and money. I’ve watched Hibs at their lowest and highest points but I can’t afford football on a regular basis at the moment.

It’s why I’m hopeful they will keep the PPV option open to all supporters - totally selfish but it’s how it has to be until I can take both the kids!I can relate to this. There was a long period when I had a young family and not much money and little spare time and I only went to games occasionally. It's only in the last 10 or 12 years that I've had the time and money to go all the time, and I've had a season ticket for about 10 years. So I would never criticise anyone who has limited time and resources for prioritising what's really important, ie family.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Pagan Hibernia
20-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Yeah I’m not sure what is keeping people away. I’m a season ticket holder and I couldn’t wait to get back. I had it in my head that we would be close to selling out every week when we first got back in because people would have missed it so much. Apparently not.

People keep saying it’s Covid and people are nervous to attend etc. but that doesn’t seem to worry hearts fans. Are we saying our fans are more worried about Covid.

it’s a pattern across many clubs. Walk ups are down at hearts too and if you look at the empty seats at their games it’s clear that a number of their season ticket holders aren’t turning up either as the pictures certainly don’t match the crowds that they are declaring.

aberdeen too. Crowds of 7k and 8k before Christmas and masses of empty seats everywhere at pittodrie no matter what their ‘official’ attendance is.

that does nothing to answer the original question of course. Hibs crowds are a real worry tbh, but we’re not the only ones scratching our heads.

What can the club do? Well goodwill gestures like the ‘Football for a Fiver’ game and freezing season ticket prices will help. But most importantly get an exciting and winning team on the pitch. A team that isn’t afraid to attack the old firm and more importantly beats hearts. A cup win would also work wonders as we rode the wave of 2016 for years afterwards

Pickle
20-02-2022, 04:17 PM
I think the PPV option has a large bearing on it. Whilst I enjoyed having it in lockdown and benefit from paying £10-£15 to watch away games I think having the choice to watch on tv for our 3pm home games has a negative affect on the crowd.

As said, I enjoy the benefits too but as long as there are no restrictions in attending matches I feel PPV needs to be removed for next season.

As a side note I sat next to 2 people at the derby who are season tickets holders but it was their first game of the season. Not seen them since, find that strange. Fair enough for paying for season tickets but no real desire to attend games!

hibbydog
20-02-2022, 04:37 PM
This is my first season ticket season and I’m bored with it.

Previously I’d go whenever the feeling took me. Normally say 6-7 home games a season. But having to go to every home game is a task.

Teams not been doing so well. Atmosphere in the stands is awful. Moaning, moaning and moaning.

Didn’t go yesterday in favour of watching it at home. Much better than the cold and listening to constant negativity.

The ‘big’ games (derbies/old firm) have been disappointing on the pitch and a flat atmosphere off it.

I guess it’s just not much fun any more

The Modfather
20-02-2022, 04:37 PM

I think for me it’s just a natural progression. I’ve got a 3 year old and weekends are when I can spend some quality time and do things with her. I also think I’m no longer that bothered about watching football in person. The only game I’ve been to this season was the St Mirren game at home. The game itself was quite boring and it just felt like it could have been any one of the hundreds of similar games I’ve attended in the past. I didn’t renew this season for the first time in a long time and the fact I had to pay way over the odds, IMO, as a pay at the gate didn’t help either. I think ultimately the social aspect of going to the football is the make or break for me and with most of my season ticket group also having young families food or drinks before or after the game is generally a non starter. The football in its own right isn’t a big enough attraction for me anymore sad as that might be.

Things that are in Hibs control that might entice me are a more value for money pay at the gate price. Attractive attacking football that stands out from the norm. Or probably the key one get our exciting U18 team into the first team. I know we’ve brought Steve Kean in to bridge that gap to the first team and that will pay off in the mid-long term. However I’ve a weak spot for watching youngsters get their chance. I’m frustrated that Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, St Mirren, Celtc etc have all gave debuts and good minutes to 16 and 17 year olds this season. Yet we have the best youth team in the country and are yet to see any of them make the bench. Why didn’t we promote any of them when we had our striker crisis? Why have we persisted with players who clearly won’t be here next season like Scott, Murphy, Wright, Allan etc.

I think Hibs biggest problem is the fact we’re stuck in a loop we can’t ever break. A few poor seasons followed by a couple of seasons of upward trajectory culminating in 3rd before we quickly fall away and start the cycle again.

DIXIHIBS
20-02-2022, 04:41 PM

I understand there are many reasons to stop watching but what i find worrying is the 1000s of ST holders who have stopped going. They have already paid up front but still not going along.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-02-2022, 05:02 PM
I understand there are many reasons to stop watching but what i find worrying is the 1000s of ST holders who have stopped going. They have already paid up front but still not going along.

I think (although understandable) we fixate too much on ST holders. Instead think why folks end up becoming STs in the first place.

we all go through phases in our life where different demands are placed on us - financial, a family, health for example.

Despite not being a ST holder, due to family circumstances, I’ve been an infrequent attender of ER. The last live game I attended was Euros with Scotland. that first game capitulation. Funnily enough in terms of contributing to the club lockdown has seen me increase my contribution through merch, lotto and PPV. The club will know this - and like other ST and non ST will be able to see who attends in person V PPV.

But if the key thing of STs is their guaranteed income to the club then really they have done their bit in a sense. Should it be part of thr T&Cs that they attend all games in person? I kinda see what the gripe is but really what is reasonable to expect (or are we saying demand) of STs? You attend in person and contribute to the match day experience? Where do folks draw the line?

Scouse Hibee
20-02-2022, 05:02 PM

Can’t afford the time away from my business.

A lottery win would solve my problems, still have a ST and will make the Celtic game my first this season due to the early KO.

DIXIHIBS
20-02-2022, 05:07 PM
I think (although understandable) we fixate too much on ST holders. Instead think why folks end up becoming STs in the first place.

we all go through phases in our life where different demands are placed on us - financial, a family, health for example.

Despite not being a ST holder, due to family circumstances, I’ve been an infrequent attender of ER. The last live game I attended was Euros with Scotland. that first game capitulation. Funnily enough in terms of contributing to the club lockdown has seen me increase my contribution through merch, lotto and PPV. The club will know this - and like other ST and non ST will be able to see who attends in person V PPV.

But if the key thing of STs is their guaranteed income to the club then really they have done their bit in a sense. Should it be part of thr T&Cs that they attend all games in person? I kinda see what the gripe is but really what is reasonable to expect (or are we saying demand) of STs? You attend in person and contribute to the match day experience? Where do folks draw the line?

Of course ST holders dont have to go but generally speaking up until now...they did go. There has to be a reason for this. Possibly covid etc but i think with empty stadiums folk have got out of the habit. I hope the come back or we could have a trend where crowds decline. It happened before...70s...and took a long time to get people back.

BoltonHibee
20-02-2022, 05:07 PM
I’ve got two S/T in the East and haven’t been to see Hibs since Hibs v Hearts in March 2020.

The football bores me senseless both under Ross and now Maloney. I cannot stand watching us playing football. Had a ticket for the cup final that I gave away on the morning of the game.

Enjoyable football to watch would see me return, not sure I’ll buy S/T’s for next season though

AgentDaleCooper
20-02-2022, 05:11 PM
I had an ST the three previous years before lockdown - I'm currently living away from Edinburgh anyway right now, so I wouldn't be able to go to the games, but i personally find that the tiered pricing leaves a bit of a sour taste. Aside from the executive seats, I don't think the quality of your view should be based on whether you can afford it, it should be based on your having had a season ticket previously, and been given the first option when seats are released, thus rewarding loyalty. Let the crap seats go to people like me who don't have STs and just want to get to a game every so often.

Dashing Bob S
20-02-2022, 05:12 PM
I think the PPV option has a large bearing on it. Whilst I enjoyed having it in lockdown and benefit from paying £10-£15 to watch away games I think having the choice to watch on tv for our 3pm home games has a negative affect on the crowd.

As said, I enjoy the benefits too but as long as there are no restrictions in attending matches I feel PPV needs to be removed for next season.

As a side note I sat next to 2 people at the derby who are season tickets holders but it was their first game of the season. Not seen them since, find that strange. Fair enough for paying for season tickets but no real desire to attend games!

I agree. There have been a few occasions when I’ve just pumped Hibs TV through the home cinema and got a few of the chaps round. They loved it as my fridge and drinks cabinet tend to be well stocked. It became a thing until I called a halt on it. Many are still averse to going though.

Dashing Bob S
20-02-2022, 05:13 PM
I’ve got two S/T in the East and haven’t been to see Hibs since Hibs v Hearts in March 2020.

The football bores me senseless both under Ross and now Maloney. I cannot stand watching us playing football. Had a ticket for the cup final that I gave away on the morning of the game.

Enjoyable football to watch would see me return, not sure I’ll buy S/T’s for next season though

The second half of the game against Ross County was the most I’ve enjoyed a Hibs performance at ER in a couple of years.

Alfred E Newman
20-02-2022, 05:16 PM
I think we should just shut the doors and sell the ground for hooses.

andrew70
20-02-2022, 05:20 PM

You’ve obviously not seen much of us under Maloney then.

allezsauzee
20-02-2022, 05:23 PM
I'm a season ticket holder but I've only been to 8 league games this season. I've found us a difficult watch over the last 3 or 4 seasons and while I've kept my ST, I find myself watching less and less. There weren't many matches I managed to watch to a conclusion last season on Hibs TV. Every manager we've had since Lennon has us playing to a predictable formula, with players like Scott Allan and Stevie Mallan who could do something a bit out of the ordinary being sidelined. The brilliance of Martin Boyle has been the one shining light in recent years and now he's gone. Ultimately the product on the field needs to get better to get me attending more frequently. Not necessarily technically better but with a that passion that Lennon and his team used to show.

BoltonHibee
20-02-2022, 05:27 PM

I have as it happens, but I’m not sure what your point is. I think we are dreadful under him also. It’s all about opinions but I’m just answering the OP on why I don’t go and what would get me back.

hibsforeurope
20-02-2022, 05:36 PM
I have been going to games with a couple mate, non season ticket holders, I’m trying to convince them to get tickets next season but it’s a struggle. The comment I got yesterday was they were bored, 1st half especially. The football is not exciting and very slow, this continental possession stuff is not great to watch.
If we sort that out then I think we’ll see attendances rise.

theonlywayisup
20-02-2022, 05:38 PM
I've had a ST at Easter Road for almost 20 years now and generally attend every game, maybe missing only 1-2 home games per season, usually because of holidays booked before the fixtures are released. Before that I attended the odd game, but went 'missing' in the era pre-kids. To be honest, it was the kids that got me back into attending ER more often. There is nothing better than going to a game with your kids and introducing them to Hibernian experience.

Everyone will have a reason for attending / not attending. Don't want to be controversial, but I think we have around 6k to 8k fans who will attend Easter Road no matter the weather, the cost, the opposition or the way that we're playing. Then we have another 6k to 8k fans who appear to want any excuse to not attend Easter Road, but will attend when things are going well.

I laugh at all the "football bores me" comments! I went to many a game during the Miller era and those that were around in that era will agree it was generally boring game after boring game. But we still went to support the team as they were my team.

TheCabbage
20-02-2022, 05:40 PM
Personally living through the west it’s a chance to catch up with my footie mates that keeps me going.
I’ve only missed 1 home this season due to my wife’s shifts and couldn’t get someone to mind my daughter and getting home at midnight after a midweeks game wasn’t an option as she would have been wrecked for school.
I still know of a few people who still don’t feel safe in crowds.
However on the park has been turgid all season so Big decision at renewal time

BoltonHibee
20-02-2022, 05:41 PM
I've had a ST at Easter Road for almost 20 years now and generally attend every game, maybe missing only 1-2 home games per season, usually because of holidays booked before the fixtures are released. Before that I attended the odd game, but went 'missing' in the era pre-kids. To be honest, it was the kids that got me back into attending ER more often. There is nothing better than going to a game with your kids and introducing them to Hibernian experience.

Everyone will have a reason for attending / not attending. Don't want to be controversial, but I think we have around 6k to 8k fans who will attend Easter Road no matter the weather, the cost, the opposition or the way that we're playing. Then we have another 6k to 8k fans who appear to want any excuse to not attend Easter Road, but will attend when things are going well.

I laugh at all the "football bores me" comments! I went to many a game during the Miller era and those that were around in that era will agree it was generally boring game after boring game. But we still went to support the team as they were my team.

The football bores me, it bored me under Miller too. It bored me so much in the early 80’s that I ****ed off to live in Australia.

King conrad
20-02-2022, 05:48 PM
It all comes down to money for me, Can't afford to take me and my son every home game so normally go to about 5/6 home games a year. I've not enjoyed watching Hibs lately and the only game I've been to is the league cup final.

I have chosen to go to the Scotland games instead still expensive and only been to a few but Scotland have been really good to watch and the atmosphere has been electric, I come away from the games buzzing having really enjoyed it.

StirlingHibee
20-02-2022, 05:49 PM
I was at the game yesterday (Ross County) and to be honest I was bored senseless. Think the last time I really felt enthusiastic was during the Lennon era. The one flair player we had has recently gone and I feel there are no "characters" within the current team and, overall, for me, just a lack of any spark. I'm not a ST holder but go to pretty much all the games and have been doing so since the late 70s. I'm at a point in my life where my Saturdays are free and I suspect I keep going more out of habit than anything. My wife says I should find a hobby and I have tried, however, Hibs are so entrenched within my psyche that I can't not go. I agree with the poster that the football currently is turgid which is not helping. If I ever find that hobby I'll get back to you!!

He's here!
20-02-2022, 05:53 PM
I'll always love Hibs but I don't love football any more. Find it pretty boring if I'm honest. My kids aren't interested and play different sports which I find more fulfilling to get involved with. I've mentioned it on another thread but I've also realised that what I loved about going to watch Hibs almost more than the game was the pre-match build-up in the pub. Family commitments mean I no longer have the time to do that and sitting watching Scottish football in cold sobriety can be pretty grim.

The less you go the more you realise it's not something you miss as much as you once thought you would.

Nakedmanoncrack
20-02-2022, 06:02 PM
ST holder & yet to miss a home game this season, in truth most have been boring, the ones I've went to myself such as yesterday particularly so, it's just not a lot of fun so can easily understand why others don't put themselves through it. I think post pandemic it was always going to be a bit like this, with crowds dwindling. I think a lot of us realised when we were having to view all games online, that watching football (unless possibly the very highest level) simply isn't great entertainment, and that there are other less stressful ways of spending your free time! I'll still renew my ST regardless, but I'm fortunate enough that the cost isn't really a factor, and even if I wasn't going every week I'd still willingly make this commitment to the club, which I guess is what a lot of others are doing.

lyonhibs
20-02-2022, 06:02 PM
Obvious answer for me is that I live abroad. Catch games on the telly when I can, enjoyed the Derby actually. But if I was at home, would definitely be an occasional walk-up. Got a 2 year old and a new born, watching Hibs in person is way down my list of priorities for the next 5 years or so until I can reasonably expect to take the wee man from time to time.

Golden Bear
20-02-2022, 06:03 PM
Football attendance is a habit thing and once that habit is broken its all too easy to sit in your erchie and watch the game in the comfort of your own home.

Covid certainly had an impact and I admit to still having some hesitancy in going back despite my investment in a half season ticket a few weeks ago.

On top of that, the traffic situation in Edinburgh seem to be a nightmare and that doesn't help things. I come in from the sticks and although I was involved in a car travel rota with 3 other guys, the thought of sitting in traffic then trying to find a parking space doesn't exactly appeal at the moment.

On the plus side I do think Shaun Maloney will do well for us if he's given the chance and folk keep off his back.

andrew70
20-02-2022, 06:11 PM
I have as it happens, but I’m not sure what your point is. I think we are dreadful under him also. It’s all about opinions but I’m just answering the OP on why I don’t go and what would get me back.

The point is if Maloney won’t get you back then I fear you never will. Transformation of course but the evidence suggests much better fare

LancsHibs
20-02-2022, 06:16 PM
Found a lot of the football dull and uninspiring. Last seasons Hampden disasters, Hearts & St.Johnstone X2 killed it for me. Ross should have gone on the final whistle of last seasons cup final, never felt so flat after a Hibs match as that and that includes that final in 2012 and the play off loss against Hamilton.

LunasBoots
20-02-2022, 06:18 PM
As we are going through a long term project I'd imagine people are put off until such a time the footballs attractive to watch, think ST sales will drop next season, know a few not renewing, I'm just glad to get to games when I can which isn't as much as I'd like with family life.

Wheat Hound
20-02-2022, 06:20 PM
Personally I missed going to the football so much during lockdown then closed doors games that I am just delighted to be back, almost regardless of the style/quality!

Meeting up with friends, organising away days and just having that time at the end of a week to look forward to is so important for me.

I can see small signs of progress under Maloney too and am interested to see us trying a different way of playing/transfer policy.

Col2
20-02-2022, 06:28 PM
Season ticket holder for over 25 years and this is 2nd season with my son joining me (last year no attendances).

At start of the season we were excited even with reduced crowd capacity for August including European games. Tailed off a bit due to competing priorities and watching Hibs was just dull as hell.

But since omicron enforced break I have only been back for 2 games. My son isn’t that fussed at the moment. The weather plays a part when taking a 12 year old but it more than that. As a club I think we are going through another lengthy transition. For losing Boyle ripped the heart out of us and I honestly don’t see us winning a big match again (eg Hampden semi) with current squad and a novice manager who needs time. We don’t have any players (maybe Porto?) who have that X factor. Under Lennon and Stubbs we had McGinn, McGeough, Allan, Boyle, Cummings, etc.

Has to be said the option of watching on tv is a factor as well. Never thought I would say this but the club need to remove this to get people back in from next season.

For me personally I am excited about going to upcoming Scotland games and sharing that with my son. We are also going to Madrid to see Real Madrid in May and when I realised it was the same weekend as the Scottish cup final I didn’t even blink, changed days. Will I renew? Yes, always.

Greencore
20-02-2022, 06:31 PM
I'm broke 😂 season tickets cost too much for me and don't have finance to pay installments. Football for 5 pound is a god send.

JammyDoidger
20-02-2022, 06:39 PM
The firestick. When you open the curtains and the weather looks drab it's easy to just have a beer in the house and watch it on the stick. I gave up my season ticket this season after having one for a good few years, got used to not going I think, although I went yesterday and enjoyed the winning feeling, the football was rotten in the first half in particular, if we are winning and playing well it makes me more excited to go, and most of my mates feel the same way. Under lennon for example there was a buzz about the place and many of my mates would go, now not so many.
The amount it costs is a big factor too, price of a pint in Edinburgh is over the score, and for me the day consists of beers with the boys.

wookie70
20-02-2022, 06:40 PM
I have been a ST holder most of my adult life barring when the kids were young and my wife worked on a Saturday. I have missed two home competitive fixtures in the last 10 years and up until the last few months went to probably 2/3rds of away games. I actually felt guilty missing games and it felt like an obligation as a supporter to turn up and support.

A few months back I got the chance to start photographing some top level games and have swapped away days for that. When Hibs are away I am likely to be watching Motherwell or Dunfermline etc through a lens. Since Covid I have lost that feeling of obligation and that is definitely to do with the long period unable to attend because of the Government rules breaking the habit and the fact the football was boring. Being able to watch pretty much every game on TV makes the choice to not attend away games easier too. It is only the last few months I have been missing away games but I already feel I won't be going back in a hurray, at least to the majority. No need to be loyal these days to get a ticket either so that means I can pick and choose which is ridiculous in my view.

I hope I will never have to give up my ST but in a year I will have to get an adult one for my daughter. She loves going and I love that she is a big Hibby. The cost though is so difficult to justify and like most normal income workers(particularly those who work in the Public Sector) I am becoming poorer in real terms year on year. Bills are becoming harder and harder to pay and there may come a point I have to make a decision on whether a ST makes financial sense. That decision may be easier if the football is as boring to watch as it has been over the last few years and the stadium remains as lifeless as it has been for a good while.

Scotty Leither
20-02-2022, 06:42 PM
I think there’s a whole host of reasons that there are large gaps. For me it comes down to Hibs constantly being in a state of transition and the fans being asked to “be patient” which doesn’t seems to have changed, even with the change in ownership.

If the club styles itself as one of the top four/five clubs in Scotland, then that comes with a certain level of expectation from the fans and the attendant scrutiny that evolves from that.

I thought Gordon gave a great presentation at his first AGM in pre-Covid times and where he saw the whole match day experience, but central to all these grand plans is a competitive Hibs team on the park that wins most of its home matches, and builds momentum around that.

Beating that mob consistently at home in the Derby would help achieve that, but we seemed happy with a point in the last game against them, and that’s not good enough in my opinion.

I know that’s just one fixture in isolation, but for me it encapsulates much of the club’s safety first approach to a lot of things, which as I say doesn’t appear to have changed much since Petrie and co were at the helm.

I go every week as that’s what I do on a Saturday, but even I’m beginning to question my continuing to go to away matches every week, such is the flat feeling I’ve currently got about the club which appears to be shared by a growing number.

I hope the Board reads some of these comments and act upon them, because beyond getting bombarded with emails on a daily basis we hardly ever hear from Gordon or Kensell and that’s redolent of the old Board’s hands-off approach with the fans as well, and it needs to change, and change pronto.

BoltonHibee
20-02-2022, 06:52 PM
The point is if Maloney won’t get you back then I fear you never will. Transformation of course but the evidence suggests much better fare

I’ll be at the Hibs v Celtic game on Sunday, more so as others I’m going with want to go, if it was down to me I wouldn’t bother. I can’t see what you see in Maloney’s football with the players we have that make you think that it’s better. Maybe when he gets a summer window under his belt and gets his own team assembled then we might see improvements and that will entice me back on a more regular basis. Not enjoyed football at ER since Lennon.

Hibiza
20-02-2022, 06:52 PM
Free pies , Bovril and Cheerleaders .

chippy
20-02-2022, 06:57 PM

I’ve not been to a match since the 1st lockdown due to the pandemic and contracting an illness meaning I’m now on immuno suppressants. I’ve still bought 2 season tickets and will continue to do so until I’m no more. I can afford it at my stage of life and contribute to HS. I hate watching live on Hibs TV or telly. I miss live Hibs matches to hell but won’t risk my health until such time as cases go much much lower or income off the medication. The quality of football doesn’t bother me I’m a Hibee till I die and they are the biggest thing in my life outside my family and my interests in yoga and Buddhism. I recall from pre pandemic that around 10% of season ticket holders didn’t attend . I reckon it’s covid worries and the fact many of our fans are over 60 like me that has reduced attendances. Success will help and I think Ron and the Maloney regime could well deliver. I like the B team idea and hope a League re structure is in the offing. What a stupid league set up we have when any 2 of 9!clubs could be relegated 3/4 of the way through the season. A situation which further strengthens the old duopoly.

andrew70
20-02-2022, 07:01 PM
I’ll be at the Hibs v Celtic game on Sunday, more so as others I’m going with want to go, if it was down to me I wouldn’t bother. I can’t see what you see in Maloney’s football with the players we have that make you think that it’s better. Maybe when he gets a summer window under his belt and gets his own team assembled then we might see improvements and that will entice me back on a more regular basis. Not enjoyed football at ER since Lennon.

Fingers crossed we do similarly well against Celtic as we done for a good part of the derby, Arbroath and on Saturday.

I am fairly comfortable with where we are at in the process and respect that it’s not all going to change overnight.

We are changing from being a low risk counter attacking outfit to a dominant possession based football team and that’s enough for me at this minute.

I am not meaning to be a*sey I just don’t see what else we could do at this stage but I do agree that more new players or the return of players like Magennis will enable the speeding up of the process that the club talk about.

Hope you enjoy the Celtic game.

Golden Bear
20-02-2022, 07:02 PM
Fingers crossed we do similarly well against Celtic as we done for a good part of the derby, Arbroath and on Saturday.

I am fairly comfortable with where we are at in the process and respect that it’s not all going to change overnight.

We are changing from being a low risk counter attacking outfit to a dominant possession based football team and that’s enough for me at this minute.

I am not meaning to be a*sey I just don’t see what else we could do at this stage but I do agree that more new players or the return of players like Magennis will enable the speeding up of the process that the club talk about.

That's how I see things right now.

Mcbizz1998
20-02-2022, 07:03 PM
I get the impression a lot of people just don't enjoy it that much anymore

Not everyone wants to spend their Saturday stood out in the cold for two hours, often accompanied by some rather early drinking

Feel that some people used to go as a matter of habit, obviously that was broken with covid and now they've remembered that they'd prefer to do other things on a Saturday afternoon

All of the above is pure speculation btw, and I've no idea why it would disproportionately affect Hibs fans if it was true

Only thing I can see changing this is a real successful and entertaining team, like 2016-18

But why is it only hibs fans? Because hearts are getting good attendances, we saying it’s just Hibs fans who have discovered they prefer doing other things??

GRA
20-02-2022, 07:04 PM
I've got a season ticket, have done for many seasons, but recently find it incredibly difficult to find the time to attend most games due to fathering multiple young children. My current circumstances mean I pick and choose, most often plumping for the biggest games (Huns, Jambos & Tic). Even missed the league Cup final this season, first final I've ever missed!

That should change when they're old enough to go to games...

Mcbizz1998
20-02-2022, 07:04 PM
it’s a pattern across many clubs. Walk ups are down at hearts too and if you look at the empty seats at their games it’s clear that a number of their season ticket holders aren’t turning up either as the pictures certainly don’t match the crowds that they are declaring.

aberdeen too. Crowds of 7k and 8k before Christmas and masses of empty seats everywhere at pittodrie no matter what their ‘official’ attendance is.

that does nothing to answer the original question of course. Hibs crowds are a real worry tbh, but we’re not the only ones scratching our heads.

What can the club do? Well goodwill gestures like the ‘Football for a Fiver’ game and freezing season ticket prices will help. But most importantly get an exciting and winning team on the pitch. A team that isn’t afraid to attack the old firm and more importantly beats hearts. A cup win would also work wonders as we rode the wave of 2016 for years afterwards

They are getting much better crowds than us. It’s not even close.

Stonewall
20-02-2022, 07:12 PM
Going back 10 years here’s what happened to my group.

Two have tragically died, myself and one other are working shifts and only can get to about half the games. I also had to move to the East in 2017 as my son wanted an ST and we couldn’t get two seats together in my friends’ section. We both still have STs though in the East. One has been working in Hong Kong and the other’s personal circumstances have changed limiting his availability.

I thing next season we’ll have 2 maybe 3 seasons instead of 7. Just life really.

weecounty hibby
20-02-2022, 07:12 PM
But why is it only hibs fans? Because hearts are getting good attendances, we saying it’s just Hibs fans who have discovered they prefer doing other things??

It's not only Hibs. Do t believe the tarts when they tell you they are getting 18k every game. It's just bull****. Their crowds are probably just slightly better than ours. Aberdeen much the same as us with crowds down.

He's here!
20-02-2022, 07:13 PM
The firestick. When you open the curtains and the weather looks drab it's easy to just have a beer in the house and watch it on the stick. I gave up my season ticket this season after having one for a good few years, got used to not going I think, although I went yesterday and enjoyed the winning feeling, the football was rotten in the first half in particular, if we are winning and playing well it makes me more excited to go, and most of my mates feel the same way. Under lennon for example there was a buzz about the place and many of my mates would go, now not so many.
The amount it costs is a big factor too, price of a pint in Edinburgh is over the score, and for me the day consists of beers with the boys.

For me it's not a choice between going to the game OR watching it on TV. If I don't go to the game I just don't watch it full stop. If we win I'll check out the goals but that's about it. I don't watch any football if it doesn't involve Hibs and I can honestly see myself drifting away completely. Got too used to spending my time in more fulfilling ways.

There was a time when I'd have found it inconceivable to think I'd one day feel this way but I also felt that the burying of the Scottish Cup hoodoo represented a kind of watershed moment for me, a realisation that this was the most fulfilled I'd ever be as a Hibs fan and that maybe there really wasn't that need to persevere any longer.

He's here!
20-02-2022, 07:18 PM

Got a cousin who is a yam and he says the numbers in the ground are way short of the official attendances given. He reckoned below 10k for the Dundee defeat. Similar across the board I think with a lot of season ticket holders simply not attending.

Mcbizz1998
20-02-2022, 07:21 PM
Got a cousin who is a yam and he says the numbers in the ground are way short of the official attendances given. He reckoned below 10k for the Dundee defeat. Similar across the board I think with a lot of season ticket holders simply not attending.

Hmm ok maybe I have fallen for their propaganda! [emoji846]

Skol
20-02-2022, 07:25 PM
I still go but in the last few weeks the football on show has been dreadful. Yesterday I was sat there cold and uninterested in a way I haven’t felt since the days of fenlon or butcher.

I have had a season since seats were installed in the terracing (1994?) but hibs are going to need to work hard to persuade me it’s a good use of £400 for another season

J-C
20-02-2022, 07:33 PM
Due to being off twice for both lockdowns and not earning except the SEISS grants from the government I didn't renew my ST. Since being back to work the taxi trade has dropped dramatically and therefore I can't justify taking time off/and paying £26 for the game, also at my age (63) I'm in no mood to work 12-14 hr shifts just to earn an extra £20-30 here and there. Missing going but needs must, oh and boring to watch football didn't help.

Bushwoof
20-02-2022, 07:57 PM
I've had a ST for a good few years and still go. It was dull fare under JR, and it was a struggle at times to get the enthusiasm to go along, but things are improving, albeit slowly.
But it's a bit of a vicious circle - when the ground is half empty the atmosphere is poor, and people are put off going, which makes the ground half empty, which makes for a poor atmosphere etc etc.
Maybe a long run of wins would be the answer to getting the crowds back. I'm hopeful SM can deliver that,

heretoday
20-02-2022, 08:03 PM
I get a sore shoulder/neck sitting in the seats at ER. To be honest I don't enjoy the "match day experience"!

If we had a new ground with comfy seats I might resume going, especially since it's cheap as chips for a senior citizen.

GreenCastle
20-02-2022, 08:10 PM
I still go but in the last few weeks the football on show has been dreadful. Yesterday I was sat there cold and uninterested in a way I haven’t felt since the days of fenlon or butcher.

I have had a season since seats were installed in the terracing (1994?) but hibs are going to need to work hard to persuade me it’s a good use of £400 for another season

Yesterday was the first time in ages the weather wasn’t even that bad !

It was warm sitting in the east pre match !! But it does seem
The weather has been really rubbish for some of our games - Celtic home when it hammered it down with rain for example. Walking to the game and sitting soaked for 90 mins isn’t fun.

Few points..

Cost of living / life priorities post covid.
Free Hibs tv with a ST stopping folk going.
Value for money for a ticket ??
Is gold season ticket really worth it ??
Crap atmosphere - make the FF lower standing and encourage a new fans section. Club taking forever to sort this.
Poorly balanced midfield - why didn’t we sign a central midfielder
Players that fans connect with and get you off their seat - Boyle was this guy but has gone.

We haven’t won 2 home games in a row all season.

We have only won 2 home games in a row all season in any competition.

Fans want entertainment in the team and atmosphere and a reliable winning team against smaller teams plus derbies and Aberdeen and every so often a win against Glasgow teams. High expectations maybe or just realistic to our resources and budget / price of STs.

mokie
20-02-2022, 08:31 PM
The answer is Simple to getting folk back. Get hibs pass off on a Saturday and it’ll encourage more to attend

Alfred E Newman
20-02-2022, 08:48 PM
Gee whizz, what a depressing lot we have on here.

hibee-boys
20-02-2022, 09:05 PM
A combination of Covid, Hibs pass and the entertainment on show has reduced crowds. Judging by the take up of £5 tickets the interest is still there so I think we’ll get back to a busier ER once the product on the pitch improves and these external factors don’t impact. Wasn’t that long ago we were selling out home games and there was an overspill in the South.

darwenhibby
20-02-2022, 09:06 PM

Don’t take him on
This is a guy who supported Dunfermline in the late 60’s
Supporting Hibs under the Tornadoes
Effing off to Australia
Moans when he comes back
Gets season tickets for Man Utd in the treble season
Starts watching Bolton in the Jay Jay and Ivan Campo era
Can now be seen in the Northern Quarter of Manchester when city are at home
No doubt watching the Celtic game in the south stand with his Tim pals
Whatever happened to “we’ll support you evermore Bolton Hibee?”

darwenhibby
20-02-2022, 09:09 PM
Found a lot of the football dull and uninspiring. Last seasons Hampden disasters, Hearts & St.Johnstone X2 killed it for me. Ross should have gone on the final whistle of last seasons cup final, never felt so flat after a Hibs match as that and that includes that final in 2012 and the play off loss against Hamilton.
Then watch your first love Blackpool or Fleetwood or whatever takes your fancy??
Hibs fans my backside!!

Lago
20-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Some people have just got out of the habit of going to games and have found other things to do. Some of them will probably never return.

RecobasCousin
20-02-2022, 09:41 PM
The 'football for a fiver' thing has got me back for at least a game.

I'm a bit of a football nomad/part-time Hibs fan/fairweather fan in the very literal sense. I don't often go because it's pretty expensive for a ticket, Scotland is cold in winter and lil teams like Spartans, Civil or even Cragie give me some kind of football for super cheap. You are also pretty much guaranteed to hear the players shouting at each other which is just hella funny.

inglisavhibs
20-02-2022, 09:46 PM
Gee whizz, what a depressing lot we have on here.
Yip and we would become a club similar to Motherwell and Dundee United ( I'm not knocking them as they both have loyal supports) if that's all Hibs mean to us. I'm sure most of the stay at home brigade would be first to complain if the budget was cut and we got even further away from the Hearts and Aberdeen's of this world. Thankfully Hibs means so much more to me than some dodgy seasons, and we have had plenty of them since I started watching Hibs in the early sixties.

James Stephen
20-02-2022, 10:00 PM
Good thread, and i wonder if there is something bigger at play here.

As a few have mentioned, the pandemic forced a break in the habit. The Hibs support are hopelessly divided in what they want which has created rancour and a poor atmosphere. The club are at a crossroads, with new owners, manager etc. The Scottish Cup final was a bit of a scunner i think.

But actually, i wonder if the pandemic and the switch to tv has been a huge problem. We are unfortunate in Scotland that we share a country - and a media - with the best league in world, and everyone has gotten very used to seeing football played at the very top level in England, and fans expectations are unrealistic - Hibs fans not happy being 3rd last season, hearts fans similarly this year- what is success for Hibs or Hearts? Playing like Liverpool?

And it all circles back to the structural problems of Scotland. All non OF fans are being asked to buy into a competition that is rigged, and that they cannot win. Sport with no competition is like diet irn bru, its just not quite right.

We all had an enjoyable spell when the huns were working their way back up, but the duopoly is well and truly back, and its depressing.

Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen fans are, or have, moaned about managers and changed them despite sitting near top of the league recently. There is no atmosphere at most games, because the games ultimately dont matter, and most grounds are half empty.

I think the pandemic has broken the spell, and people realising that sitting in a dead, cold stadium watching uninspiring and meaningless fitba, is not worth it and there are loads of things you can do on a saturday that are more enjoyable.

Im not sure what the answer is.

Scotty Leither
20-02-2022, 10:08 PM
I think I’ve been enthused by ONE new signing the club has made in the last 4 or 5 windows, and that was the Nisbet deal where we signed a promising young player and it also appeared we beat off competition to get him in.

Other than that it seems to the same signing policy that got the last gadgie sacked, and we’ve also sold our best player, and the club wonder why the fans are getting scunnered with it?

john rossi
20-02-2022, 10:49 PM
I am a season ticket holder and never missed a home match since I was a wee laddie but with covid and ppv just lost the whole going to the match thing. Fair enough I’m 72 now but make the effort to play golf once a week and W/F twice a week but watching Hibs is at present is a turgid experience ground half empty and moaning fans so I will continue sitting at home watching on ppv.

john rossi
20-02-2022, 10:59 PM
I am a season ticket holder and never missed a home match since I was a wee laddie but with covid and ppv just lost the whole going to the match thing. Fair enough I’m 72 now but make the effort to play golf once a week and W/F twice a week but watching Hibs is at present is a turgid experience ground half empty and moaning fans so I will continue sitting at home watching on ppv.

Forza Fred
20-02-2022, 11:30 PM

Away, you miserable Auld curmudgeon😂

Forza Fred
20-02-2022, 11:32 PM
Cannae afford the travel costs every week.
Free shuttle service to home games would get me and a lot of mates back every fortnight.

monktonharp
21-02-2022, 12:02 AM

This is mainly aimed at the Hibs supporters who have stopped going. Why?I think you are behaving like the Edinburgh Council....hiding under a Covid blanket....:duck:

monktonharp
21-02-2022, 12:09 AM
Obvious answer for me is that I live abroad. Catch games on the telly when I can, enjoyed the Derby actually. But if I was at home, would definitely be an occasional walk-up. Got a 2 year old and a new born, watching Hibs in person is way down my list of priorities for the next 5 years or so until I can reasonably expect to take the wee man from time to time.so.....no a real hibby then?:duck: get thae wee yins ow'er to the Leith san Siro,when ye can. think you travelled on our bus a couple of times naw?[/I]

FilipinoHibs
21-02-2022, 12:25 AM
The not going for a season pLus has probably got people out of the habit of going - watching on Hibs TV or doing something else with your free time. The cost to as people Are faced with rising inflation so you have to cut back on spending to pay for the essentials. Covid is still a factor for some particularly our older fans.

CentreLine
21-02-2022, 01:09 AM
Just deliver on the promise of entertaining football. Add a slice of winning football and fans will return. It is what spectator sport is supposed to be. We need to be properly competing at the top end of our league. Yes I know we are lying 4th but we are closer in points to 11th than we are to third.

This season began with so much promise but sank in to a quagmire of mediocrity. The level of entertainment really needs to improve, and quickly. I’ve attended ER for over 55 years and cannot remember there being such a disconnect between club and support.
I am still filling my seat these days but it is becoming a chore. I’ll probably get over it but right now this abject failure of promise and clockwork football is draining and I’m struggling to justify renewing my ST.

cameronw-hfc
21-02-2022, 01:46 AM
Went to every home game with my dad since I was about 6/7 till 11/12 year's old, been on my own since he's stopped going ever since and this is the first season I've not been back(last season not counting due to covid).

It's purely financial for me. Can't afford a lot simpler things than the football so ill stick to sourcing streams for now until things are better unfortunately. I know a few others in the same situation as well

Greencore
21-02-2022, 06:38 AM
Money for travel,
Money prematch
Football ticket
Money for football
Money for travel home.

That's if you're with someone aswell.

Just can't afford it.

Brightside
21-02-2022, 06:55 AM

The football isn’t any different. And the results are pretty similar. I don’t find either teams boring tbh.

Pretty Green
21-02-2022, 06:58 AM
Reading this thread is depressing an the future looks like less than 10k crowds. What I don't understand is why so many won't go but are on here regularly talking about it. This is our club and it deserves our support. Sad sad times

Mr. Wonderful
21-02-2022, 07:04 AM
The football isn’t any different. And the results are pretty similar. I don’t find either teams boring tbh.

Exactly. The myth of Jack Ross' hibs side being negative has grown arms and legs but he typically set the side up with an attacking midfielder, two strikers, marauding full backs, wingers and CB's who were encouraged to push on.

Pish at times and maybe a lacking a final ball at others but the intent to be attacking was always there. Maloneyball had actually maybe been a bit more negative with possession designed to stifle the opposition.

neil7908
21-02-2022, 07:21 AM
I'm not wild on the quality of football and style of play but I think covid has definitely shifted me out of the habit. To be fair, I used to live very close to ER so could still do something with my partner early on a Saturday afternoon, head home and still catch the game. I'm now out in East Lothian and going to a match means the whole of my Saturday afternoon. Especially in the winter I'm finding it easier to do something else.

I still intend to get to some games this season but I don't think I'll ever be back at the same level in terms of attendance.

Coco Bryce
21-02-2022, 07:22 AM
Money for travel,
Money prematch
Football ticket
Money for football
Money for travel home.

That's if you're with someone aswell.

Just can't afford it.

A few of my mates are falling by the wayside because of cash flow also.

Petrol, Food and utilities all rocketing. They simply can't justify spending money on going out now. Sad times.

BoltonHibee
21-02-2022, 07:39 AM
Away, you miserable Auld curmudgeon[emoji23]

I can’t help it, I had a good teacher [emoji23]

BoltonHibee
21-02-2022, 07:42 AM
Don’t take him on
This is a guy who supported Dunfermline in the late 60’s
Supporting Hibs under the Tornadoes
Effing off to Australia
Moans when he comes back
Gets season tickets for Man Utd in the treble season
Starts watching Bolton in the Jay Jay and Ivan Campo era
Can now be seen in the Northern Quarter of Manchester when city are at home
No doubt watching the Celtic game in the south stand with his Tim pals
Whatever happened to “we’ll support you evermore Bolton Hibee?”

How dare you, I’d never go and see City ! [emoji2957]

Keith_M
21-02-2022, 07:50 AM

I don't really think that's a great argument ATM.

It's entirely possible he'll turn us round long term, and I'm happy to give him the time to do that, but the majority of our games under him since the winter break ended have been turgid and goalless (at least on out part).

Dobosz83
21-02-2022, 08:29 AM
For me, it's a combination of things. I was going every week until March 2020 when we all got locked out and then I had to find something else to do. I'd take my kids until a horrendous incident before a Hibs/Aberdeen game took place outside the Omni Centre, they still don't want to go back.

When we were allowed in with restricted crowds, I went to watch Edinburgh City since it was easy to get tickets for those games with the crowds being under 500. I enjoyed it and got chatting to some great guys who I've become friends with.

When we were allowed back in at the start of the season, I didn't have much desire to do so. I never thought I'd say that about Hibs. Costs have soared and League Two is a hell of a lot cheaper. The best bit? There's no 'Old Firm' in sight and the league doesn't feel rigged from the kick off. There's no colossal gap coupled with sectarianism/hatred. A couple of wins and you are in contention for promotion, a couple of loses and you are in relegation fight.

I'm not saying I'll not be back to Easter Road, I'll always be a Hibs fan, I just don't see value in paying over the odds to watch meaningless fixtures at Easter Road when the best you can hope for is 3rd place.

I WILL be at the St Johnstone game though to back such a fantastic initiative.

Pagan Hibernia
21-02-2022, 08:37 AM
Depressing thread.

not knocking anyone, plenty of valid reasons given and at the end of the day people can spend their Saturdays and midweek nights any way they wish.

Depressing all the same.

flash
21-02-2022, 08:46 AM
I think I’ve been enthused by ONE new signing the club has made in the last 4 or 5 windows, and that was the Nisbet deal where we signed a promising young player and it also appeared we beat off competition to get him in.

Other than that it seems to the same signing policy that got the last gadgie sacked, and we’ve also sold our best player, and the club wonder why the fans are getting scunnered with it?

Our signing policy changed completely in that last window.
Utterly bizarre that you don't see that.

HibsTYT
21-02-2022, 08:55 AM
I'm a season ticket holder in the east, the atmosphere at games has been miserable since the singing section was moved to FF and then to Section 45. Need to get it back somewhere more central, Section 43 was always good from what I remember.

Can't remember the last time (except the derby) where me and the people around me joined in with the chants, the momentum just doesnt reach us with the drum being right up against the side of the stand and down so low... and i'm only one section away from it.

Still love going to the games regardless, hopefully we kickstart our season now and get a good chunk in for the St Johnstone game with the cheaper tickets.

Forza Fred
21-02-2022, 09:06 AM
Us lot down under still sell our first born to pay for a yearly international subscription to Hibs Tv, and
Get up at 2am to watch the game.

We then argue incessantly with each other about the game, who was good who was crap etc

I can’t see me doing anything else in the future on a Sunday morning at 2am

Not bothered about how silky or otherwise the fitba is.

Just want them to win.

Just win.

swordin3
21-02-2022, 09:10 AM

I am a season ticket holder and have been for the last 25 years.
I have only attended 2 home games this season early on.
My first reason is the football has been poorand with the winter I have preferred to watch from home.
I built a home bar and TV room with projector over the lockdown when my last daughter moved out. I have missed Hearts and Rangers at home which I haven't done for 30 years.
It's a combination of laziness and apathy at our style that keeps me away. I feel I am letting the team down but I have paid my money and have made my choice so far.Once the games are not on Hibs tv I will be more inclined to go definitely.

Rumble de Thump
21-02-2022, 09:38 AM

It's entirely possible he'll turn us round long term, and I'm happy to give him the time to do that, but the majority of our games under him since the winter break ended have been turgid and goalless (at least on out part).

We've scored in the majority of games.

andrew70
21-02-2022, 09:50 AM

I think it’s a great argument. We improved a lot and will continue to do so. It’s baffling how people can’t see that or relate to the progress.

As I mentioned in a subsequent post we are at the start of the process but if you can’t see a huge difference already then maybe football has done it’s time for you.

Maloney is taking us on an upward trajectory.

flash
21-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Surprised there's anybody in the stadium at all after making the mistake of reading this thread.

Just_Jimmy
21-02-2022, 09:59 AM
For me it's mainly distance and other commitments.

I don't even watch local teams much anymore either. I think the habit has been broken and I'm not overly fussed to get it back. I love hibs and I always will but I don't like how I often feel and I think that's a factor.

It's too expensive, even £5 still has travel costs for me and I can't justify it.

Maybe if I'm back local in the future I'll fall back into it. I hope so but right now, where I am in life its just not a priority for time or money.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Halmyre Hibee
21-02-2022, 10:06 AM
The answer is Simple to getting folk back. Get hibs pass off on a Saturday and it’ll encourage more to attend

I don’t know if that’s the answer as folk will find other ways to watch the game for free. I couldn’t make the StMirren game due to illness but watched on Hibspass as a season ticket holder so it’s a great idea as back up for those types of situations and adds value as a season ticket holder. Reading through the thread there’s no one particular reason why fan’s don’t attend but if you have a winning team or one which tries to play attractive football then the crowds will return to a reasonable level.

nickwhibs
21-02-2022, 10:09 AM
Cost is the main thing for me. I do go but can only really afford to go occasionally

Since452
21-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Hard to justify the cost with a young family and soaring cost of living.

Northernhibee
21-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Money, a busy work calendar and quite honestly, it’s not been that enjoyable.

EGL2000
21-02-2022, 10:36 AM
Now working most Saturdays sadly.

Northernhibee
21-02-2022, 10:59 AM
Tell you what, Arbroath in the cup was the first time in ages that I had a feeling in the second half that I didn't want the game to end. Absolutely ages. Against a good side we showed attacking threat, passed the ball about with a bit of conviction and intent and we looked as if we were trying to entertain.

It may take a bit of time, Maloney may be the man to do it or he may not be, but if we can make exciting signings, actually ****ing play them :greengrin (I'm desperate to see what Melkersen can do), and give us something that is entertaining then all the better.

We find ourselves going to our local comedy night a lot more. Two tickets to get in cost the same as one match ticket for the football, we don't need to travel through and we're entertained every single time. Football needs to entertain and for me it's not big screens or competitions or fancier pies or anything like that which does that, it's good football from players you can get behind.

Alfred E Newman
21-02-2022, 11:16 AM
Surprised there's anybody in the stadium at all after making the mistake of reading this thread.

Yip, it sure is grim stuff. I'm starting to feel guilty about going to the games.

inglisavhibs
21-02-2022, 11:31 AM
Yip, it sure is grim stuff. I'm starting to feel guilty about going to the games.
There's a great article on Derby County on the BBC web site. Derby is not an affluent city by any means, but reading that article shows what a football club means to it's people. I guess reading this thread, there are a fair number of Hibs fans who would not be too despondent if we became a much smaller club.

The 90+2
21-02-2022, 11:36 AM
See/spend time with the children at the weekend and basically can't afford it either to go every week.

I go in my spare time and/if I have money. Even then it's just an in and out job where is it used to be part of a whole weekend of being out from Friday to Sunday :agree: at that time I was absolutely gutted if I couldn't make a game to anywhere, now it's just part of the routine to try watch on tv/laptop if not there.

The 90+2
21-02-2022, 11:39 AM
There's a great article on Derby County on the BBC web site. Derby is not an affluent city by any means, but reading that article shows what a football club means to it's people. I guess reading this thread, there are a fair number of Hibs fans who would not be too despondent if we became a much smaller club.

Alternatively, if Hibernian were in big **** financially like Derby and what Hearts where it would give a cause/meaning to get right behind the club financially and emotionally. As it is we are in safe hands and kicking about mediocrity.

loanheadhibby
21-02-2022, 11:45 AM

Most football fans are re-active tho. Crowds are down just now for various reasons, however if we came to the last 6 games and Hibs were in any danger, the fans would turn out in their numbers. I remember going to a game at Raith when Duffy was in charge. We needed to win to avoid play offs and ended up drawing. The place was absolutely rammed with Hibs supporters.

It was the same when Butcher was in charge and we were in trouble, fans went in their thousands.

The Modfather
21-02-2022, 11:47 AM

A thread that was started to understand why a large number of fans aren’t attending looks like it’s reached the inevitable point of finger pointing and an Uber fan undercurrent. A shame as it’s been constructive in the main and insightful.

Key West
21-02-2022, 11:54 AM
I have a season ticket and every time a games gets moved to midweek I'm unable to go and it is usually the fixtures that are the more glamorous. I respect the fact that the clubs need the tv money but I feel that the armchair supporters are getting a better deal.
Next season is definitely a pick and choose situation and at times I am close to the point of not attending , there's only so many periods of transition that you can take but I do believe that the current set-up is geared towards being a better and more consistent team and that's good enough for me at the moment and hopefully this will inspire folk to attend as many games as they can..

zitelli62
21-02-2022, 11:59 AM
I go to every home game but can understand why people don't go ie cost of living is soaring at the moment a lot of people with young families have a choice to make food on table or football lets be realistic family comes first I've been there luckily my family are older now and I've got time to go but can understand why people don't go.

Pagan Hibernia
21-02-2022, 12:07 PM
A thread that was started to understand why a large number of fans aren’t attending looks like it’s reached the inevitable point of finger pointing and an Uber fan undercurrent. A shame as it’s been constructive in the main and insightful.

maybe but most of the responses have been answering the first part of the title question and not the second.

im very interested in why people stop going and there have been some great insights into that. I’m even more interested in how we can get people back and increase crowds. On 1st February, people found a way to go, in spite of all the barriers mentioned on the thread. How can we make this more regular?

personally I think pricing has a part to play - the football for a fiver game has shown that people will go when it’s more affordable, the tickets are flying off the shelves. Atmosphere too. Ground configuration, sorting out the FFL, safe standing area, all these things would make Easter Road a place that people don’t want to miss out on on a Saturday. Football was never just about football afterall. It was the collective experience. At the moment the whole experience just feels empty.

and of course, more than anything else, the product on the pitch needs to improve. Along with results especially ‘feel good’ wins like derbys and cup finals

timewilltell
21-02-2022, 12:25 PM
Its just boring..

Greenio
21-02-2022, 12:55 PM
Yeah, tad depressing but interesting too.

I live 10,000 miles away and would absolutely love to have the chance to see Hibs play this season. Last game I could go to was when we got relegated v Hamilton...grim.

Looks like a combo of Covid, price, changed circumstances, quality of performance.

Only difference from last 100 years is Covid. Was a huge change and not one that won't have lasting impact

inglisavhibs
21-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Most football fans are re-active tho. Crowds are down just now for various reasons, however if we came to the last 6 games and Hibs were in any danger, the fans would turn out in their numbers. I remember going to a game at Raith when Duffy was in charge. We needed to win to avoid play offs and ended up drawing. The place was absolutely rammed with Hibs supporters.

It was the same when Butcher was in charge and we were in trouble, fans went in their thousands.
Don't disagree with any of that.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2022, 01:43 PM
The problem with these threads is that if you give an honest answer you're jumped on by the uber fans on here.

I only support Hibs when we're winning.

This in itself is quite an extraordinary skill considering I've yet to figure out time travel or predicting the future but hey-ho, that's what I've been told!

I'll go to more games again when I enjoy the football. It's been rank recently.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2022, 01:54 PM

Did it? In what way? I missed it too!

We're still saying we need a striker and centre mid, the same as we've been saying the last few years.

Lancs Harp
21-02-2022, 02:02 PM
Purely a time and distance thing for me. I have been a season ticket holder from the Fylde coast in the past but the demands of my job have put alot more pressure on my weekends (recovery time and time to get "life" stuff sorted). Even as a season ticket holder I only managed to get up for on average 12 games a season, only been to three games so far this season, with 2 more games planned in before the end of the season. As much as playing good football is appetising it doesnt actually have a bearing for me, as I'd still be doing about half a dozen games a season if we were flying or bottom of the league. I support as and when I can I'd guess I must spend at least £100 a season in the club shop for instance.

WhileTheChief..
21-02-2022, 02:07 PM

Always happens. It used by good enough just buying a season ticket to be a fan.

Not any more.

Nowadays...

I get told I need to use it and go to each game.
I get told what I can and can't sing.
I'm not allowed to boo
I'm not allowed to leave before the final whistle
I'm not sure whether to order Bovril or coffee in case I get it wrong

Seems like you need to do the same as the ubers on here to avoid their wrath.

Gettin' Auld
21-02-2022, 02:32 PM
Of course 'covid' will have played a part as some people will still be wary of crowds, plus others have simply got out of the habit of heading to the game.

I think that having watched fitba at Easter Rd since the 60's, there is one clear reason for declining crowds, and that's usually entertainment. Going to a game isn't cheap now and clubs push ST sales, so that's quite a commitment for many people. They quite rightly expect to be entertained for their money but how many games are truly entertaining now?

Come out of the ground buzzing and you can't wait for the next game to come along, come out shaking your head and mumbling about how pish the game was.......going to the next game becomes a chore, especially when you've paid in advance for a seasons worth of games.

Provide entertaining football and people will attend........

Mike Berry
21-02-2022, 02:49 PM
I think it's a combination of money being tight for some folk, and also some season ticket holders watching it on Hibs tv. There'll be people who have become disillusioned with the team, certainly, but that's (almost) always been the case.

hibbyfraelibby
21-02-2022, 02:49 PM
In the last 50 years I reckon I've only missed a literal handful of home games...and two of them were for when I got married.

Why? Its habit. Good, bad or just plain appalling football makes no odds. Its what I do when there's a game on. Its nothing to do with atmosphere, or a bunch of wee dafties singing unintelligible little ditties, or glory hunting (defo not that😉). Its just what I do hail or shine, Butcher or Mowbury, John McGinn or Rowan Vine. There is no cure.

Mike Berry
21-02-2022, 02:53 PM
In the last 50 years I reckon I've only missed a literal handful of home games...and two of them were for when I got married.

Why? Its habit. Good, bad or just plain appalling football makes no odds. Its what I do when there's a game on. Its nothing to do with atmosphere, or a bunch of wee dafties singing unintelligible little ditties, or glory hunting (defo not that[emoji6]). Its just what I do hail or shine, Butcher or Mowbury, John McGinn or Rowan Vine. There is no cure.I've lost count of the number of times I've stomped out the ground after games, saying "I've had enough of this *****, I'm never going back". But I always do. It might be an illness. :)

Scotty Leither
21-02-2022, 02:56 PM

Did it really? We got big money in for our best player, more money than the rest of the league took in, and replaced him who exactly?

We’ve been crying out for more firepower and options in the centre forward position for about 5 seasons now, and we are in desperate need for a creative number 10 in the mould of a Latapy or an Ally Macleod

Yet we pin our hopes on cheap loans and laddies who are signed and then disappear from view, so no different from our recruitment policy under the previous regime in my view.

loanheadhibby
21-02-2022, 09:24 PM
Always happens. It used by good enough just buying a season ticket to be a fan.

Not any more.

Nowadays...

I get told I need to use it and go to each game.
I get told what I can and can't sing.
I'm not allowed to boo
I'm not allowed to leave before the final whistle
I'm not sure whether to order Bovril or coffee in case I get it wrong

Seems like you need to do the same as the ubers on here to avoid their wrath.

You make a number of good points. Do what you feel is right.

And when did this singing section become a thing! Back in the day under the old covered terrace, I can’t remember the need for a singing section. The punters gathered and it sort of spread out. It’s becoming a bit sanitised now. I’m not against singing sections tho.

Pagan Hibernia
21-02-2022, 09:47 PM
Just watched the highlights from yesterdays games. Empty seats all over Celtic Park too, despite a declared attendance of 58k.

it’s not just us, it’s a pattern right across the country

Biffa Bacon
21-02-2022, 10:03 PM
Tickets are too expensive to go every home game so I pick and choose. £28 for a 'gold' seat in a category C match is ridiculous.

The whole bronze, silver, gold seats thing really annoys me as well.

BSEJVT
22-02-2022, 04:56 AM
Although I have season tickets for my daughter and me, we have been once this season and I don't even watch it on Hibs TV any more.

I will check the results and read the match reports on here, but that's about it.

I think the endless negativity on here expressed by some and the petty bickering have turned me off even more, to the extent that I no longer feel engaged.

Having had season tickets for over 25 years there is no chance of our renewing next year.

For me its changed family circumstances and getting out of the habit, I didn't enjoy the game we did go to and just felt a bit more exposed to Covid than I was comfortable with.

Maybe when the wheel turns again and the grandchildren get old enough to go I will get the bug again but right now that seems like a long way off.

Its got little to do with the football on offer either through Ross or Maloney, I have seen a lot worse Hibs teams than those, I think football is habit-forming and once you get out of the habit, it is difficult to get back into it, especially without the motivating factor of an exciting team and atmosphere to make you dip your toe back into the water.

I would imagine Hibs and a lot of other teams will be quite concerned about what future season ticket numbers and attendances are going to be like.

Just_Jimmy
22-02-2022, 07:17 AM
Tickets are too expensive to go every home game so I pick and choose. £28 for a 'gold' seat in a category C match is ridiculous.

The whole bronze, silver, gold seats thing really annoys me as well.Say HIGH-BERNIANS SOCCER CLUB in your best American accent.

That's the route we're going down.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

The_Exile
22-02-2022, 07:51 AM
Can’t afford it. Simple as that.

FilipinoHibs
22-02-2022, 10:39 AM
Inflation is here for the first time in 40 years and interest rates are on the up. People are going to be feeling the pinch a lot harder in 2022. The prices compared to 1980 are way out of line with what people can afford. Can only see numbers dropping off further. Meeting the family necessities comes first.

Northernhibee
22-02-2022, 12:02 PM

The whole bronze, silver, gold seats thing really annoys me as well.

Yeah, I absolutely hate that. I absolutely hate the shan "Ron the Con" patter but that sort of stuff doesn't help at all.

In general though I don't want big screens, I don't want glitz and glamour, I like Scottish football and all the cold rainy days out that brings. I absolutely ****ing loved the general time at Gayfield and think we could learn something from that.

The big problem is that whereas everyone who used to go and now isn't will have a reason to not be going, there's probably a smaller percentage than we realise who will know what it would take for them to return. We can't even rely on a historic cup win to provide an almighty boost to attendances now.

Mike Berry
22-02-2022, 12:23 PM
There's a lot who came back after the cup win and probably some who started coming for the first time then. But everyone eventually realises what it's like being a long term Hibs supporter: there are lots of times when it's *****, and that's just the way it is.