PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Ross County 19 02 2022)

Jonnyboy
19-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Having enjoyed progression in the Scottish Cup last time out, it was back to league business for a Hibs side that’s recent league form has been poor. Shaun Maloney was forced into making one change to his starting eleven with Josh Campbell replacing the injured Demitri Mitchell. Interestingly, there was space on the bench for youngsters Jacob Blaney and Oscar MacIntyre with both having been training with the first team squad whilst turning out for our impressive Under 18 side. One familiar face was missing as Scott Allan was not in the squad.

County started the better although an early cross from Cadden deserved a better outcome than simply flashing across the box. A poor challenge by Charles-Cook on Porteous angered the home support but referee Steven McLean did not deem it worthy of more than a free kick to Hibs. McLean was busy soon after when Jordan White nipped in behind his marker but as he neared the ball, Macey collected easily, only for White to throw himself to the ground. An outrageous dive that earned him a deserved yellow card.

Conditions under foot were not great and I was puzzled that we watered an already sodden surface before the game. Both sides were guilty of getting bogged down in midfield and although County were enjoying better in terms of possession, Macey’s goal was hardly under threat. A Jordan White shot was easily gathered by Macey whilst Cadden fizzed a shot wide of target. Around twenty five minutes in, the lively Sylvester Jasper set up Henderson near the edge of the box, but the Hibs youngster slightly delayed his shot, and the effort was blocked.

A crunching Harry Paton tackle on Jasper earned the County man a yellow card and moments later Jasper was again caught off the ball, but referee McLean awarded a free kick for a push on the Hibs man when it was plain to see that Paton, already on a yellow, caught the Hibs man at the back of his ankle, a decision that brought howls of derision from the home stands, aimed at the referee.

It had been a poor spectacle with very little quality but five minutes from the break, Jasper took a pass from Nisbet and cleverly lifted his return over the head of his marker, but Nisbet swung a boot rather than taking a touch first and the chance was gone. A poor end to the move but a second of pure quality in Jasper’s set up. The only things of note in the remaining five minutes were two bookings for Hibs players. Bushiri, perhaps angry that Paton was booting anything that moved, took the County player out and then Nisbet was booked for what McLean indicated as persistent fouling. Presumably the ref didn’t think the five first half fouls by County’s number 10 Dominic Samuel added up to a similar punishment.

The first half was so poor, the second must surely be better? In fact, it proved to be as Hibs started on the front foot and Porteous came close with a header from a Henderson corner and then in quick succession, Nisbet and Bushiri each had efforts blocked. County were rocking a bit and Henderson skipped into the box and fired a shot on target that Laidlaw did well to divert away for a corner. Henderson took that corner and the ball fell to Campbell, but Josh couldn’t get his shot through a sea of bodies in front of him. Instead, the ball returned to Campbell, and he rolled it into the path of Jake Doyle-Hayes who, from around twenty yards smashed a right footed shot low into the net. Laidlaw seemed to get a touch but couldn’t keep it out.

County reacted by surging forward from the restart and Charles-Cook got a shot away from the edge of the box which Macey saved easily. Next, Jordan Tillson was booked for a crude challenge on Henderson before Ross Callachan saw his effort from thirty yards sail harmlessly wide. With around twenty five minutes left, Jasper stole the ball from a County defender and fed it to Henderson who had only Laidlaw to face but the Hibs man went for power and his effort cannoned off the legs of the County keeper. The corner which followed saw Laidlaw make a stunning save to keep out a powerful header from Porteous.

Sylvester Jasper, who had taken a couple of healthy knocks, was then replaced by Chris Mueller before Macey made a comfortable save from Baldwin’s looping header. Hibs then made a couple more changes when Nisbet and Henderson were replaced by Scott and Wright. Next, a fabulous run down the left by Doig drew a foul from Jack Baldwin, the County man receiving a yellow card. The initial free kick from that foul was not cleared well by the County defence and the ball found Doyle-Hayes about twenty yards out. The Hibs man took the ball on his chest and as it dropped, he hit a stunning volley beyond Laidlaw to make it two for him and two for Hibs.

Doyle-Hayes was involved again when he cleaned out Ross Callachan with the County man reacting angrily to the challenge. Doyle-Hayes was booked, and, in the aftermath, you could see him and Callachan exchanging a laugh over the incident. In fact, Callachan hadn’t been doing too well in their exchanges and had been less than pleased earlier when Doyle-Hayes had nutmegged him. Scott and Campbell then had efforts blocked before County made a further change in order to try and salvage something from the game. Mueller then set up Josh Doig, but the shot was saved by Laidlaw before Shaun Maloney introduced a little more solidity to the defence by replacing Josh Campbell with Darren McGregor, but the game was won now and Hibs secured the points that lift them to fourth in the table.

The players

Macey – Matt had an easy time of it as County failed to really test him by filling the Hibs area at dead ball situations with a number of their taller players, but he stood up to the test and never looked troubled at any time.

Bushiri – Rocky got an amount of criticism after the Arbroath game with some suggesting he was really poor in the air. He may have been at Gayfield but won most of his aerial duals today.

Porteous – Against Jordan White, Ryan won the battle and defended really well. A couple of dodgy pass attempts but over the piece he was solid.

Stevenson – Injury to Mitchell meant that Lewis was left of the back three and in the first half I thought he wasn’t so great going forward. Like most of his team mates he improved after the break and despite a few dodgy punts forward, he offered more positives than negatives.

Cadden – County clearly decided to play their wide midfield players high up the park to stop Cadden and Doig from getting forward so much. Even with that, Chris managed to fire in some decent crosses as well as defending efficiently throughout.

Doyle-Hayes – I’ll confess, I thought he should be hooked at the break but soon realised there was no natural replacement on the bench. Needless to say, I’m delighted he went on to prove me wrong with two fabulous goals, the second a contender for goal of the season. My man of the match for his two goals.

Campbell – I know the laddie has his faults, but I believe good coaching will improve his game. Drawing groans of disappointment when he loses out in a tackle or passes back the way rather than forward will do little for his confidence although I recognise the frustration from the stands.

Doig – In the first half I was frustrated that he was playing too close to Stevenson and therefore closing off the chance of a pass, but he was much better in the second and his effort and commitment are admirable.

Henderson – Flitted in and out a bit but you can see the laddie has talent and can pick a pass. In my view, the more he plays the better he will get.

Jasper – Really enthused about this lad who seems to have won over us fans early in his appearances. Very tricky and always looking to move the team forward it took a few dunts from County players to try and keep him quiet.

Nisbet – The enigma that is Kevin Nisbet saw him doing some good things and some bad. I know that Maloney wants him to drop deep so that when he gets the ball, he’s facing the opponents’ goal but I feel he drops too deep at times and that draws criticism because he can’t get into an opponent’s box quickly enough.

Mueller – Once again I was impressed by his standard of play and his non stop running that caused County a few problems.

Scott – I think James has a very long way to go before we Hibs fans take to him.

Wright – Drey got the last fifteen minutes although I’m uncertain as to what his instructions were. Perhaps it was to bolster our right side because County were pushing forward there in search of a goal.

McGregor – Did what he was asked to do.

Shaun Maloney – Undoubtedly a happy man and rightly so because we won the game. I wonder what his thoughts were on our first half performance because it wasn’t great.

Referee – Steven McLean drew an amount of booing from both sets of fans with the odd, frankly bewildering, decision.

Since452
19-02-2022, 06:42 PM
Said on the match day thread all that matters was the win. The performances will come. Was really encouraged that we found a way to win today. All of a sudden we're in a European place. Onwards and upwards.

Carheenlea
19-02-2022, 07:19 PM
Good summary again.

With the win we are not spending as much time lamenting the refereeing this afternoon, which was dreadful. However, Steven McLean did give us some entertainment in injury time when he got in the road of the action and got hit by ball, gave Ross County the drop ball to restore play then managed to get himself in the road again as the player took possession. An element of farce to sum up his afternoon.

IberianHibernian
19-02-2022, 07:27 PM
Great report as always . Did Jasper take " healthy " or heavy knocks ? Would only disagree about JDH who I thought was good in first half too . Also thought Scott put in a good shift - only 20 minutes but if that had been his debut for us think he`d have got positive comments . Seems to have shed a few kilos too .

wookie70
19-02-2022, 07:47 PM
Good summary again.

With the win we are not spending as much time lamenting the refereeing this afternoon, which was dreadful. However, Steven McLean did give us some entertainment in injury time when he got in the road of the action and got hit by ball, gave Ross County the drop ball to restore play then managed to get himself in the road again as the player took possession. An element of farce to sum up his afternoon.

He had an appalling game and that summed up his performance as you say.

Rumble de Thump
19-02-2022, 08:00 PM
Why did the coaching staff tell you what McGregor's instructions were but not what Wright's were? 😃

CockneyRebel
19-02-2022, 08:05 PM
Great report as always . Did Jasper take " healthy " or heavy knocks ? Would only disagree about JDH who I thought was good in first half too . Also thought Scott put in a good shift - only 20 minutes but if that had been his debut for us think he`d have got positive comments . Seems to have shed a few kilos too .

Looked a lot more mobile today, his movement seemed smoother and he kept finding space. Not on that long but I was pleasantly surprised at his contribution.

JammyDoidger
19-02-2022, 08:15 PM
First half abysmal, second half much better. Great win that, delighted. Although I cannot understand for the life of my why we are serving tomato sauce in plastic cups? Surely as the greenest club in Scotland this goes against the grain? Also the warm up at half time was nothing short of amateur. A rondo, then mcgregor and daborwski hoofing the ball to each other. The goalie never even had his gloves on. Get it sorted Petrie. I mean Gordon. Great win. Shame it's celtic next though.

Stubbsy90+2
19-02-2022, 08:20 PM
2-0 win and should have been more in all honesty.

Poor first half, much better second.

Well done Maloney and the players.

Arch Stanton
19-02-2022, 09:30 PM
Said on the match day thread all that matters was the win. The performances will come. Was really encouraged that we found a way to win today. All of a sudden we're in a European place. Onwards and upwards.

But, but but! We're in freefall! Aren't we?

Brightside
19-02-2022, 09:52 PM
I generally always agree with you but no way should JDH have been hooked at HT. The boy was stopping everything through the middle. His coverage must have been 8k plus today. Great display.

Bridge hibs
19-02-2022, 10:07 PM
I generally always agree with you but no way should JDH have been hooked at HT. The boy was stopping everything through the middle. His coverage must have been 8k plus today. Great display.Agree, all about opinions but Jonnyboy must have been in the bogs most of the first half, JDH done well

NAE NOOKIE
19-02-2022, 10:08 PM
This was 90 minutes of pretty turgid football made memorable by a really good first goal and a second goal which was an absolute peach.

So let's not kid ourselves, we have a long long way to go before we become whatever it is Maloney want's us to be because for the most part we were a mish mash of poor passes, slow play and players who at times didn't seem to have a clue how to work the ball into dangerous areas. I'll take the points all day long, but that was far from a good performance and a better team than County would have punished the number of times we gave the ball away.

Bridge hibs
19-02-2022, 10:24 PM
This was 90 minutes of pretty turgid football made memorable by a really good first goal and a second goal which was an absolute peach.

So let's not kid ourselves, we have a long long way to go before we become whatever it is Maloney want's us to be because for the most part we were a mish mash of poor passes, slow play and players who at times didn't seem to have a clue how to work the ball into dangerous areas. I'll take the points all day long, but that was far from a good performance and a better team than County would have punished the number of times we gave the ball away.Jezzus ****, I would take that every week if it meant winning a game, that team we beat 2-0 are just off the back of scoring 3 goals against the rangers to earn a point 🤣 hibs fans !! Bewildering !!

Jonnyboy
19-02-2022, 11:10 PM
I generally always agree with you but no way should JDH have been hooked at HT. The boy was stopping everything through the middle. His coverage must have been 8k plus today. Great display.

In my defence I was so unimpressed with how we played as a team in the first half I would have been happy to hook any of them 😀

On reflection I agree I was wrong to single J DH out.

IberianHibernian
19-02-2022, 11:10 PM
I generally always agree with you but no way should JDH have been hooked at HT. The boy was stopping everything through the middle. His coverage must have been 8k plus today. Great display.Agreed . At half time I had JDH as our best player . The goals were a very welcome bonus but I think he`s been playing at a high level in almost every recent game including against St Mirren despite mistake at goal . Hopefully goals give him confidence to try more shots and forward runs and passes . Next season hopefully he`ll have support in midfield to let him show his ability even more .

NAE NOOKIE
20-02-2022, 12:08 AM
Jezzus ****, I would take that every week if it meant winning a game, that team we beat 2-0 are just off the back of scoring 3 goals against the rangers to earn a point 🤣 hibs fans !! Bewildering !!

Aye mate, but the point is if you got that performance every week you wouldn't be seeing many points. I'm as happy as anybody to see us win, I don't drive 40 miles to ER for every home game just so I can have a pop at the team on here later on. The fact is we didn't perform any better than we have been doing of late, especially in a poor first half. I'll take the win all day long, but why does that mean I have to shut my eyes to what was a performance a long way from the level we need to be at?

B.H.F.C
20-02-2022, 01:29 AM
In my defence I was so unimpressed with how we played as a team in the first half I would have been happy to hook any of them 😀

On reflection I agree I was wrong to single J DH out.

I thought we had an absolutely non existent midfield in the first half. Campbell genuinely looked terrified at times.

Everyone will obviously talk about his two goals but JDH got us on the right at the start of the second half with a FORWARD pass. They never managed to get back out and he eventually scored from the corner.

Positive play works.

Bridge hibs
20-02-2022, 06:15 AM
Aye mate, but the point is if you got that performance every week you wouldn't be seeing many points. I'm as happy as anybody to see us win, I don't drive 40 miles to ER for every home game just so I can have a pop at the team on here later on. The fact is we didn't perform any better than we have been doing of late, especially in a poor first half. I'll take the win all day long, but why does that mean I have to shut my eyes to what was a performance a long way from the level we need to be at?I know mate, think I got a bit over excited at seeing a win with two cracking goals as an added bonus. But yeah, enough to get us through the game against a pretty meek opposition I suppose

Jonnyboy
20-02-2022, 03:10 PM
A couple of random thoughts

When we have ten men back for a corner, why do we only send one player into the corner when the opponent is clearly going to play it short?

This one’s an oldie. Why are we so bad at taking and defending throw ins?

jacomo
20-02-2022, 07:23 PM
But, but but! We're in freefall! Aren't we?

Do you want to go back there? Thought not.

As was correctly said a couple of weeks ago, we’ve been poor since the break and Shaun desperately needed some victories to settle the nerves.

He’s now got two in a row so all good. I’m on board too but there’s still plenty question marks about the tactics etc… this new shape is only going to work with a lot of high quality coaching so the players understand what they are being asked to do and are capable of executing it.

jacomo
20-02-2022, 07:27 PM

So let's not kid ourselves, we have a long long way to go before we become whatever it is Maloney want's us to be because for the most part we were a mish mash of poor passes, slow play and players who at times didn't seem to have a clue how to work the ball into dangerous areas. I'll take the points all day long, but that was far from a good performance and a better team than County would have punished the number of times we gave the ball away.

I think there were some very good individual performances yesterday but little cohesion, particularly in the final third.

For a team that supposedly values possession we give the ball away like crazy. Nisbet didn’t have a great game but once again was given little to work with.

As you say, we have a long way to go. Tbf, Shaun said exactly that after the match.

JohnM1875
20-02-2022, 07:55 PM
Good review as always and I really appreciate the effort, so thanks. Not much I'd disagree with so always makes the reading easier.