PDA

View Full Version : Dangerman

jae
17-02-2022, 09:05 AM
Who remembers a game against Alloa I think when Alan Sneddon scored two goals? If my fading memory serves me well I am sure it was just before an upcoming Euefa cup tie and the opposing coach singled out Snoddy as our dangerman :flag::flag::flag:

berwickhibee
17-02-2022, 09:55 AM
2-0 victory in the league cup.

Remember laughing that sneds got the goals

Was it Skol cup??

It was defo a midweek game.

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 09:58 AM
Who remembers a game against Alloa I think when Alan Sneddon scored two goals? If my fading memory serves me well I am sure it was just before an upcoming Euefa cup tie and the opposing coach singled out Snoddy as our dangerman :flag::flag::flag:
Cyclops was a great servant to the club, one of my favourite players from a not so great era. I can't remember that particular incident though, but I'll have been there for sure.

Bostonhibby
17-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Cyclops was a great servant to the club, one of my favourite players from a not so great era. I can't remember that particular incident though, but I'll have been there for sure.Same here, very good servant to the club, good player, liked him a lot.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
17-02-2022, 10:23 AM
Cyclops was a great servant to the club, one of my favourite players from a not so great era. I can't remember that particular incident though, but I'll have been there for sure.

He was also a very nice guy. He took pelters from fans that make the abuse of the modern era seem like polite courtesy. Not deserved, as you say he was a decent enough player during a grim period at the club.

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 10:44 AM
He was also a very nice guy. He took pelters from fans that make the abuse of the modern era seem like polite courtesy. Not deserved, as you say he was a decent enough player during a grim period at the club.
I can't remember him getting abuse, the fall guy back then was Benny I thought.

my left peg
17-02-2022, 10:54 AM
I remember a young Alan Sneddon having a brilliant game for Celtic against Real Madrid in the European Cup,Celtic won 2-0,but lost 3-0 in the Bernabau...
His testamonial was a great night,watching Kenny Dalgleish in a hibs shirt...magic.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

gbhibby
17-02-2022, 11:06 AM
Would be a stand out in todays system of playing 3 Centre halfs.

Cat Stanton
17-02-2022, 11:21 AM
Would be a stand out in todays system of playing 3 Centre halfs.

He was bloody awful.

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 11:36 AM
He was bloody awful.
A very solid right back with an engine to get forward, he didn't play as long as he did with being awful.

1 8 7 5
17-02-2022, 11:39 AM
He was bloody awful.

Pretty much this....

He's here!
17-02-2022, 11:40 AM
He was bloody awful.

He really wasn't. Joined us at a very grim time for the club but he was a very solid signing who was hugely dependable and almost certainly one of the first names on the team sheet for many years. I was quite surprised Celtic let him go as he played in their Scottish Cup winning team of 1980 prior to joining us later that year. Pretty sure he was awarded two league winners' medals in season 1980/81, a Premier League one with Celtic and a First Division medal with Hibs.

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 11:44 AM
He really wasn't. Joined us at a very grim time for the club but he was a very solid signing who was hugely dependable and almost certainly one of the first names on the team sheet for many years. I was quite surprised Celtic let him go as he played in their Scottish Cup winning team of 1980 prior to joining us later that year. Pretty sure he was awarded two league winners' medals in season 1980/81, a Premier League one with Celtic and a First Division medal with Hibs.
100% correct :aok: How anyone could call him awful is beyond me. Trolling at its finest.

1 8 7 5
17-02-2022, 11:47 AM
100% correct :aok: How anyone could call him awful is beyond me. Trolling at its finest.

Its not 100% correct... and also, from my vantage point in the old centre stand he was no more than average at Hibs. People who dinnae agree wi ye crunchie, arnae trolls. They just dinnae agree wi ye!

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 11:55 AM
Its not 100% correct... and also, from my vantage point in the old centre stand he was no more than average at Hibs. People who dinnae agree wi ye crunchie, arnae trolls. They just dinnae agree wi ye!
One of the centre stand brigade eh, did you wear glasses from your vantage point? We all have opinions mate but he was nowhere near awful in that Hibs team I can assure you.

Green forever
17-02-2022, 12:00 PM
Slightly off topic but I think his debut was at Starks Park in a top of the table clash. Place was packed out, we lost 2-0 but went on to win the league and get promoted.

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 12:07 PM
Slightly off topic but I think his debut was at Starks Park in a top of the table clash. Place was packed out, we lost 2-0 but went on to win the league and get promoted.
A rammed Starks Park, we shoved our way in as they started closing the gates, some atmosphere.

They lost out to Dundee for promotion

He's here!
17-02-2022, 12:08 PM

Hibs as a whole were no more than average for much of that time but Sneddon was one of our more solid performers IMHO. No John Brownlie but certainly no dud. I think he maybe got a bit of stick from some because, like Benny, he just looked a bit odd ie 'one-eyed'.

basehibby
17-02-2022, 12:11 PM
I remember being at the game in the OP. Stands out purely because it was Sneds that scored both our goals - both at the Dunbar end IIRC - and this was thought of as a feat of miraculous proportions. He most certainly was NOT an awful player. No world beater either but very far from awful.

gbhibby
17-02-2022, 12:25 PM
He was bloody awful.
Over 300 games for the club would indicate otherwise.

O'Rourke3
17-02-2022, 12:30 PM
Was a League Cup tie played on a lovely summer evening. Scored both goals playing left back. A neat trick for a right footed player. Far from awful for us without being spectacularly brilliant.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
17-02-2022, 12:36 PM
He was an average player in an team full of average players for years. Never less than 100% effort though and a nice guy into the bargain. Sadly for us in those years we had all of the average players while our rivals had above average. Aberdeen, hearts, Dundee utd all had way better players than we did. Add in the bigot twins and we were probably about where we should have been with the personell we had. Still a good servant to the club in tough tough times

Stevie Reid
17-02-2022, 03:08 PM

Was at that game. I remember even as a kid laughing with my mates as the first one went in as a Snedds goal was a rarity - we were truly stunned when the second when in. IIRC it was a peach of a strike on his left foot as well, after he'd cut in from the RB position to the edge of the box.

I was too young to really appreciate the defensive side of the game when he played the majority of his games for us, but as others have said, you don't get the career that he had without being a good player.

Cat Stanton
17-02-2022, 03:16 PM
Over 300 games for the club would indicate otherwise.

Sorry, Alan. No hard feelings.

But you were indeed bloody awful in all the games I watched you in - which was quite a lot. The exception was a 2-1 win at Motherwell when you scored the winner with a 25 yard screamer into the top corner. You may also have scored the other goal too - can't quite remember, so it may have been a dream.

1 8 7 5
17-02-2022, 04:23 PM
One of the centre stand brigade eh, did you wear glasses from your vantage point? We all have opinions mate but he was nowhere near awful in that Hibs team I can assure you.

No yer best work Crunchie. "centre stand brigade" wtf. Are you 10?

You cant assure me! I was there. My opinion, along with others is that he wasnt the superstar you are trying to make out. My opinion was that he was bang average.

Sneds wasnae the name on everyones lips in the 80s!

I will leave it there. Its really not important to me.

1 8 7 5
17-02-2022, 04:26 PM
Hibs as a whole were no more than average for much of that time but Sneddon was one of our more solid performers IMHO. No John Brownlie but certainly no dud. '.

Thats much closer to my recollections :agree:

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2022, 04:41 PM
Snoddy was a good player safe and reliable looked after himself and was thought of as a model professional by many within the game

Honestly struggling to think of any occasion he let us down

Served our club with distinction for 10 years playing 372 times scoring 9 goals

Had the distinction of winning two titles in the one season with us and Celtic

Was rewarded with a testimonial against Aston Villa in 1991 that tells you all you need to know

Crunchie
17-02-2022, 05:15 PM
No yer best work Crunchie. "centre stand brigade" wtf. Are you 10?

You cant assure me! I was there. My opinion, along with others is that he wasnt the superstar you are trying to make out. My opinion was that he was bang average.

Sneds wasnae the name on everyones lips in the 80s!

I will leave it there. Its really not important to me.
You agreed with a poster saying he was God awful, so I suppose bang average is a step up.

Nowhere did I say he was a superstar or was on everyone's lips :confused:.

I came on a thread reminiscing about a Hibs player back in the day who brought back some fond memories and who I thought was a great servant to the club, you chose to come on with a negative post about the man, each to their own I suppose.

Can you remember any other God awful ex players who received a testimonial?

gbhibby
17-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Sorry, Alan. No hard feelings.

But you were indeed bloody awful in all the games I watched you in - which was quite a lot. The exception was a 2-1 win at Motherwell when you scored the winner with a 25 yard screamer into the top corner. You may also have scored the other goal too - can't quite remember, so it may have been a dream.
Not funny. I have followed Hibs for 55 years and I can tell you there have been a lot worse than Alan Sneddon in that position. Your recollection is different to mine so we need to agree to disagree.

gbhibby
17-02-2022, 05:34 PM
Snoddy was a good player safe and reliable looked after himself and was thought of as a model professional by many within the game

Was rewarded with a testimonial against Aston Villa in 1991 that tells you all you need to know
100% agree Billy

theonlywayisup
17-02-2022, 07:43 PM
He was bloody awful.

It's all relative! Compared to Joe Tortolano, he was brilliant.

vuefrom1875
17-02-2022, 08:50 PM

John Drake.

Comiston Hibee
17-02-2022, 08:53 PM
IIRC his debut was at Stark’s Park. We were top of the league and got beat 0-2. I was definitely there
Thankfully Ralph Callaghan put the icing on the cake in a 2-0 win at ER when we were crowned 1st Div champs later that season 80/81
Out the Cow Shed and over the barrier and on the pitch for the first time ever; I would have just turned 11.
Went to the game with my pals, no parents. I wonder if that happens these days 😱💚🇳🇬

SON OF PADDY
17-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Not funny. I have followed Hibs for 55 years and I can tell you there have been a lot worse than Alan Sneddon in that position. Your recollection is different to mine so we need to agree to disagree.

Well said Alan Sneddon, was a decent player for Hibs.

BILLYHIBS
17-02-2022, 09:09 PM
John Drake.

:agree:

https://youtu.be/cLgNPYw9QMw

brog
17-02-2022, 09:16 PM

Good summary Billy. He also crossed the ball, with his left foot, for Kano's goal in the Steve Archibald game. He told me a few years back that that remains one of his favourite moments. A solid, decent player much respected by his teammates and a lovely guy.

gbhibby
18-02-2022, 12:36 AM
:agree:

https://youtu.be/cLgNPYw9QMw
Remember that programme. He was also superb in the prisoner

HoboHarry
18-02-2022, 01:49 AM

First you agreed with a poster that he was awful and now he's average. Some may not be trolls but you seem to fit the bill.

FilipinoHibs
18-02-2022, 06:13 AM
Saw him during that period and would describe as solid, hard working but not spectacular. Odd defensive mistake which got some people on his back but far from awful.

Col L
18-02-2022, 06:49 AM
No way Snoddy was ‘awful’ - imo he was a very good servant to the club and his testimonial night was well deserved. The rare goals he scored were usually screamers. He wasn’t playing in the most glamorous of positions, so was probably under appreciated - not everyone could be a John Brownlie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 8 7 5
18-02-2022, 08:56 AM
First you agreed with a poster that he was awful and now he's average. Some may not be trolls but you seem to fit the bill.

I said "pretty much agree" with that poster. I further commented that he was average in other posts to others. I agreed with others that stated he was average in an average team.

Its pretty much the first time Ive seen a thread eulogising alan sneddon! ... and we are aboot 40years doon the line.

I watched him play when I was a young lad HoboHarry. He wasnae that far up the list of heroes.

Hardly a troll hoboharry. Im hardly a prolific poster on Hibs net!

Gies peace.

Lastly, whats your opinion on the thread topic? Youve taken the time to give your opinion on me.

JimBHibees
19-02-2022, 09:39 AM
He was bloody awful.

Nowhere near awful was a loyal and dependable player in a pretty average part of Hibs history. Always gave his all and was an excellent servant to the club imo.

Cat Stanton
19-02-2022, 11:15 AM

It was just a flippant aside - I wasn't trying to have a go, or have an argument with you. Jeezo.

For what it's worth, I've followed Hibs for 50 years so I think I am also allowed an opinion. You're right that there have been worse players than Sneddon. But that doesn't mean he was very good - those kind of relative comparisons aren't that helpful.

I watched him in lots and lots of games. My main memory is of poor passing, and him giving the ball away. And generally being not very good. Am I not allowed to say that? The thread is about a player, which begs people's opinions of him. My opinion is based on memories of him being bloody awful in lots of games.

superfurryhibby
19-02-2022, 11:35 AM
It was just a flippant aside - I wasn't trying to have a go, or have an argument with you. Jeezo.

For what it's worth, I've followed Hibs for 50 years so I think I am also allowed an opinion. You're right that there have been worse players than Sneddon. But that doesn't mean he was very good - those kind of relative comparisons aren't that helpful.

I watched him in lots and lots of games. My main memory is of poor passing, and him giving the ball away. And generally being not very good. Am I not allowed to say that? The thread is about a player, which begs people's opinions of him. My opinion is based on memories of him being bloody awful in lots of games.

Like you, I’ve also watched Hibs for over 50 years (just) and Sneddon was a very mixed bag. Whole hearted team player, but pretty limited. Seen worse, far worse, but not many of them managed a ten year career at Hibs. Very nice to talk to as well. Respect his contribution, but he wasn’t very good.

shetlandhibee
19-02-2022, 11:38 AM

Was rewarded with a testimonial against Aston Villa in 1991 that tells you all you need to know:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

Crunchie
19-02-2022, 11:48 AM

There you go again saying he was bloody awful in lots of games, over a 10 year period he probably was, as were a lot of better players than him.

I prefer to remember the bloody good games of a very solid loyal player, of which there were far more than awful. If he was as bad as you're making out he certainly wouldn't have had that long a career nor a testimonial.

MartinfaePorty
19-02-2022, 12:00 PM

Was rewarded with a testimonial against Aston Villa in 1991 that tells you all you need to knowThis. Chipped in with a good number of goals in the days where full backs, on the whole, defended, as opposed to their role as auxiliary attackers now.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Malthibby
19-02-2022, 12:09 PM
Still got the programme from his testimonial, good loyal servant to the club occasionally pish, occasionally good, mostly solid & dependable at a pretty grim time for the club.
Dodgy haircut.
GG

hibsfan7
19-02-2022, 12:47 PM
Did he get a Skol Cup winners medal? Seem to remember we signed Dave Beaumont a few days before it and he got on the bench instead of Sneddon. Was he injured? Seemed like a harsh decision at the time...

Cat Stanton
19-02-2022, 02:41 PM
There you go again saying he was bloody awful in lots of games, over a 10 year period he probably was, as were a lot of better players than him.

I prefer to remember the bloody good games of a very solid loyal player, of which there were far more than awful. If he was as bad as you're making out he certainly wouldn't have had that long a career nor a testimonial.

Yep - "there I go again": having an opinion based on memories of what I saw. Outrageous.

gbhibby
19-02-2022, 03:18 PM

My recollections of the player are the same as BILLYHIBS.I did say we would need to agree to disagree.

Cat Stanton
19-02-2022, 04:43 PM
My recollections of the player are the same as BILLYHIBS.I did say we would need to agree to disagree.

Yes, fair enough. Apologies if I inadvertently annoyed you.

gbhibby
19-02-2022, 05:39 PM
Yes, fair enough. Apologies if I inadvertently annoyed you.

No problem, we are all entitled to our opinions, this site would be boring if we all agreed with each other.

Cat Stanton
19-02-2022, 08:10 PM
No problem, we are all entitled to our opinions, this site would be boring if we all agreed with each other.

No danger of that happening on this site (ie generally, not this thread). Anyway, cheers!