View Full Version : Sporting fans

Keepthefaith
15-02-2022, 09:17 PM
Did anyone see the Man city game tonight?

I was really struck by 2 things...just how many sporting fans stayed for the whole game, albeit subdued and then the outpouring of support at the end despite the 5-0 defeat.

This for me is what being a fan is about. We Hibs fans have shown times when we've responded like this and I just find it so reaffirming. Complete contrast to the knee jerk hissy fits folk have when things go wrong.

How wonderful would it be to have the majority of fans have a support first default and save the frustration for the pub after?!

AugustaHibs
15-02-2022, 09:23 PM
Did anyone see the Man city game tonight?

I was really struck by 2 things...just how many sporting fans stayed for the whole game, albeit subdued and then the outpouring of support at the end despite the 5-0 defeat.

This for me is what being a fan is about. We Hibs fans have shown times when we've responded like this and I just find it so reaffirming. Complete contrast to the knee jerk hissy fits folk have when things go wrong.

How wonderful would it be to have the majority of fans have a support first default and save the frustration for the pub after?!

To be honest I don’t think fans can be blamed for leaving at 4-0 down at half time when it was 4 going on 14.

Keepthefaith
15-02-2022, 09:27 PM
I understand why for sure but that's not really my point. Sometimes you stay and see your team outplayed, I just think the unity shown at the end will be heartwarming for the sporting players and who knows may end up with them progressing in their own league.

Sometimes of course you stay and are rewarded. Falkirk semi springs to mind, along with Newcastle being 4-0 down to arsenal in the league.

It's a beautiful thing in my view when supporters show that level of commitment.

15-02-2022, 09:52 PM
Great support by the Sporting
fans tonight. Brilliant response to their team getting a real tanking. Respect!

gbhibby
15-02-2022, 10:16 PM
I never leave early even when we have been getting a hammering.You support your team through thick and thin.

15-02-2022, 10:21 PM
To be honest I don’t think fans can be blamed for leaving at 4-0 down at half time when it was 4 going on 14.

Yes, well done to so many who stayed with the team. I think I might have bolted at half time, though I stayed to the end of the Malmo debacle and the cup final that shall not be named.

15-02-2022, 10:42 PM
FFS 🤣 deleted my post by mistake!

In summary: did you see (or take part in) the Hibs support at Ibrox a few days ago? The team were given a great ovation after the game despite losing - and being a Club in crisis according to sections of the media.

Or, my personal favourite, were you at Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final in 2013?
The backing the team received from about 80 minutes onwards, despite being 3 nil down was phenomenal.

et_hibby
15-02-2022, 10:50 PM

In summary: did you see (or take part in) the Hibs support at Ibrox a few days ago? The team were given a great ovation after the game despite losing - and being a Club in crisis according to sections of the media.

Or, my personal favourite, were you at Hampden for the Scottish Cup Final in 2013?
The backing the team received from about 80 minutes onwards, despite being 3 nil down was phenomenal.
You are right, I also stayed to the end of that one- beaten by a Stokes/Commons-inspired better team on the day.

Keepthefaith
15-02-2022, 10:52 PM

Didn't see the recent Ibrox response but yeah was at the final and was blown away by the collective rousing response. A proper football moment which fills me with pride!

LunasBoots
16-02-2022, 01:57 AM

That was my favorite aswell against Celtic. The backing was unbelievable you'd have thought we where the winning team with such a loud backing.

16-02-2022, 03:33 AM
I wouldn't expect a Sporting-style backing in the face of a 5-1 defeat by you-know-who. That would be asking too much.

16-02-2022, 05:15 AM
You should see them leave when they are routed by The Eagles of Lisboa. Forca Benfica!

Not many left at the end of this rout:
https://youtu.be/-ND6RZy8sZo

16-02-2022, 05:22 AM
Sporting fans were missing in action when I went to their ground.

I have to say though, I did Benfica and Sporting on same day a few years back. Two class stadiums but the football wasn't amazing.

Speaking of Lisbon, there used to be an old team in the top league but seem to have gone bankrupt? Their ground was just outside the city and I remember getting a train there. Anyone heard of this team? I can't recall details of them? Ground was around 10 to 15k and in a built up living area.

16-02-2022, 05:40 AM
Mind we did that after the Celtic cup final in 2013 and got absolutely slaughtered for it in the press?

16-02-2022, 05:49 AM
Mind we did that after the Celtic cup final in 2013 and got absolutely slaughtered for it in the press?

Yes it was a weak mentality apparently and accepting defeat which to me was horse poo as it was a imo a brilliant response to another final defeat. It showed the contempt elements of the press have for our club and fans. Can remember the 1985 league cup final and the huge Hibs support doing that when getting beat 3 0 by Fergies Aberdeen which the media praised us for and rightly so. It is the ultimate show of love and support for your team. Any numpty can show support when you are winning the ultimate test is when you are getting hammered imo.

Musselbound
16-02-2022, 06:25 AM
Sporting fans were missing in action when I went to their ground.

I have to say though, I did Benfica and Sporting on same day a few years back. Two class stadiums but the football wasn't amazing.

Speaking of Lisbon, there used to be an old team in the top league but seem to have gone bankrupt? Their ground was just outside the city and I remember getting a train there. Anyone heard of this team? I can't recall details of them? Ground was around 10 to 15k and in a built up living area.

Belenenses in the Belem area of Lisbon? They did have big financial problems a few years back and are struggling at the bottom of Primeira at the moment. Estoril is not too far out in the same direction and they are doing pretty well this season.

Walter
16-02-2022, 06:36 AM
Tin hat on.....I often wonder what our results were behind closed doors compared to fans present.....

16-02-2022, 07:15 AM
Belenenses in the Belem area of Lisbon? They did have big financial problems a few years back and are struggling at the bottom of Primeira at the moment. Estoril is not too far out in the same direction and they are doing pretty well this season.

Estrela da Amadora... found them via Google. Looks like did go bankrupt. The ground looks better than I remember though.

16-02-2022, 07:32 AM
4 years ago the Sporting fans pitched up at their training ground and attacked their own players. A proper attack as well with a couple of players pretty seriously injured. Their title celebrations last year also made Rangers fans look positively well behaved.

I often think we Scots, or maybe just Hibs fans, have a bit of a rose tinted view of fans in other countries. Yes they can be loud and passionate but when things go wrong they can make the booing and shouting here look like an argument over a toy in a nursery.

16-02-2022, 08:18 AM
The
Great support by the Sporting
fans tonight. Brilliant response to their team getting a real tanking. Respect!

Ach, Sporting fans are used to it

Hibs 6. Sporting 1 back in 1971 , 5 goals in one half too. :greengrin

Mick O'Rourke
16-02-2022, 09:30 AM
FFS �� deleted my post by mistake!

Of course that was a big response to what went before at the club.
We saw a team that day that tried against a very superior Celtic.
Outsung them throughout the game and vast majority of us stayed till after final whistle.
That got us kudos on Celtic fans forums that weekend
We sang "its a grand old team to play for"louder than they did :agree:

Malmo game?
Dreadful is not the word.
Not long after the 4th i was in Middletons.It was packed !
£5 concessions that night for the game .
I took an elderly Hibs fan who saw the Famous Five in their prime,but had not been to ER in years.

Lawrie Reilly passed away a couple of days before this game and my old pal wanted to have one last look at ER and pay Lawrie respect,Teams wore black arm bands.
But when the 4th went i, he wanted to leave.
Sad final Hibs game for him.
We were in the lower west in line wae 18 yard box,and saw those 4 goals close up.
That was enough for ma old pal.

16-02-2022, 11:59 AM
4 years ago the Sporting fans pitched up at their training ground and attacked their own players. A proper attack as well with a couple of players pretty seriously injured. Their title celebrations last year also made Rangers fans look positively well behaved.

I often think we Scots, or maybe just Hibs fans, have a bit of a rose tinted view of fans in other countries. Yes they can be loud and passionate but when things go wrong they can make the booing and shouting here look like an argument over a toy in a nursery.

I think that resulted in a few of their players tearing up their contracts and leaving as well.

Sure rui patricio was one of them.

16-02-2022, 12:52 PM

This is what I had in mind re: discussion about us being a unique club on the Ben Kensell thread.

Looking in, you might say what a bunch of losers, cheering the team in defeat. But context is everything… our support was cheering a team that has got absolutely horsed in the previous season’s final but we picked ourselves up to go again.

16-02-2022, 01:00 PM
This is what I had in mind re: discussion about us being a unique club on the Ben Kensell thread.

Looking in, you might say what a bunch of losers, cheering the team in defeat. But context is everything… our support was cheering a team that has got absolutely horsed in the previous season’s final but we picked ourselves up to go again.

I think in recent times it's been very rare for Hibs fans to do this in recent times or even stay till the end. Also can't remember us being "slaughtered" for staying at the Celtic cup final?

We've got one of the quickest clearing grounds in football- winning, losing or drawing our crowds start thinning out dramatically around the 80 minute mark at Easter Road and it's generally more than half empty when the final whistle blows.

Keepthefaith
16-02-2022, 04:27 PM
I think in recent times it's been very rare for Hibs fans to do this in recent times or even stay till the end. Also can't remember us being "slaughtered" for staying at the Celtic cup final?

We've got one of the quickest clearing grounds in football- winning, losing or drawing our crowds start thinning out dramatically around the 80 minute mark at Easter Road and it's generally more than half empty when the final whistle blows.

Agree with this and I get really despondent! I'm just a big fan of showing appreciation, whether that's at footy, a gig, play etc kinda think it's just respectful. Must really lift the players when we do it a là the hearts game.

16-02-2022, 10:54 PM
The

Ach, Sporting fans are used to it

Hibs 6. Sporting 1 back in 1971 , 5 goals in one half too. :greengrin

72 and I was there.

I still have the programme.

17-02-2022, 07:13 AM
As a small child I was taken to Tynecastle where the home side were 0-5 down at half time in the local derby. I have to say that the idea of leaving never crossed my mind. Not once.,

17-02-2022, 08:17 AM

Difference at Iboak is you cannae leave anyway.

17-02-2022, 08:25 AM

Sat in the Famous 5 in the Sauzee/Latapy era with my children. Regardless of the score the sound of seats going up from 75 mins onwards was deafening.

Mick O'Rourke
17-02-2022, 08:49 AM
As a small child I was taken to Tynecastle where the home side were 0-5 down at half time in the local derby. I have to say that the idea of leaving never crossed my mind. Not once.,

Must have been awful for you,standing there peeing yersel with laughter and tears of joy :yw: :7: :boo hoo::tee hee:

GRA
17-02-2022, 10:45 AM

Aye but funnily enough they didn't slaughter the Jambos who did the same thing when they lost the 2019 final against Celtic... :confused:

Context is everything. If, by some miracle, Hibs were to make it to the knock out stages of the CL and got horsed in the first leg by a far superior opponent, I guarantee you'd see a similar reaction.