PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Arbroath 13 02 2022)

Jonnyboy
13-02-2022, 03:30 PM
Prevented by illness from travelling to Arbroath, I had to watch the game on TV but at least I was warm and dry, unlike the fans who made the trip and got drenched for their troubles. Good on them though, their reward coming in the shape of a 3-1 win to Hibs in what was, at times, tough on the nerves.

Much was being made of this being a potential banana skin for Hibs, with their opponents top of the Championship and boasting a fine home record and Shaun Maloney would have to get his team selection and tactics spot on if Hibs were to progress. With Paul McGinn still out following his injury at Ibrox, Maloney made just one change to his starting eleven by bringing in Sylvester Jasper in what looked like a roving role between midfield and striker.

Given the hype and the conditions, the hosts were always going to start the game on the front foot and right from the off, one of their ploys became evident when a high ball was played into the space behind Cadden and Bushiri drew a foul from Jack Hamilton as he made to clear. A ball into that area was much used by Arbroath and Bushiri struggled at times to deal with it.

With just six minutes on the clock, Arbroath took the lead through Craig Wighton. A high ball into the Hibs penalty area was not cleared properly and was soon delivered back in. Doig just missed his header and was very unlucky when Wighton’s first touch struck him and fell perfectly for the striker to prod the ball past Macey. I’ll be honest here and admit my heart sank a little at that point but that didn’t last too long as first Bushiri and then Stevenson found space to shoot from outside the box. What encouraged me here, even though both attempts were blocked, was that we were taking shots from outside the box, something I feel we don’t do enough of.

An attempted quick break by Arbroath was stopped by a sliding and illegal challenge from Bushiri and that earned him the first yellow card of the game from Willie Collum. Hibs were now controlling things and forced a clutch of corners, but most were dealt with, only one offering the chance of a shot at goal from Doyle-Hayes but that was charged down. Cadden then went close whilst at the other end, McKenna’s effort drifted just wide of the post. Another excellent corner from Henderson witnessed Doig get a glancing header away but that too drifted just wide.

What happened next surely falls in to the bizarre category. A long high ball in behind Bushiri saw Wighton racing after it from a clearly offside position. Hibs expected a flag as the Arbroath man had surely intended to play the ball, but he didn’t, and a team mate swung in a cross with the Hibs defence switched off. Colin Hamilton pounced on the chance and but for a superb last ditch tackle by Porteous would surely have put the hosts 2-0 up.

With twenty minutes on the clock and after a sustained period of pressure, Hibs equalised. Stevenson took a touch to control the ball before sending a pinpoint cross to Mitchell at the far post. The Hibs man was completely free and steered a header down and past Gaston in the Arbroath goal. Spirits lifted by that goal I felt more relaxed about what I was watching now as Hibs continued to dominate proceedings. A superb through ball from Doyle-Hayes saw Cadden race in on goal, but he was nudged as he got his shot away and Gaston was able to save, low to his left. Next to have a go was Jasper who cut in from the left before firing a right footed attempt high and wide of the far post.

When Arbroath lost possession of the ball some twenty yards from goal it allowed Kevin Nisbet to get into the box and fire in a right footed effort which Gaston saved but the ball came back at Nisbet, and he attempted a fine lob towards the far post only to see that Gaston had recovered enough to tip that second effort over the bar.

Arbroath had kind of weathered the storm and as half time approached, they began to enjoy better possession going forward. Not long after McKenna had been booked for a foul on Doyle-Hayes, he slipped a ball through to Chris Hamilton, but the striker had his effort blocked and then right on the whistle, a Stewart free kick into the Hibs area was about to be cleared by Porteous when Little knocked him over, conceding a free kick in the process.

It has to be said that Hibs started the second half very poorly and had it not been for three good saves by Macey, they’d have gone behind in the game for a second time. Thankfully, Hibs began to dominate possession again and a snap shot by Stevenson looked like it might trouble Gaston but was blocked on its route to goal.

During the next fifteen or so minutes, Hibs won several corners without any reward and then a ball from Cadden on the right deflected towards the back post where Mitchell should have done better than hitting the side net. Next to try his luck was Ewan Henderson who took in a fine pass from Porteous, swivelled and shot from around twenty yards but Gaston was equal to the challenge.

On sixty five minutes, Mueller replaced a tiring Jasper, and the newcomer almost had an instant effect, releasing Nisbet who fired the ball into the net but had been flagged for offside. Whether it was frustration or just poor timing, Nisbet was then booked for a foul on Chris Hamilton. Nisbet though was anything but frustrated when, in the seventy first minute, he latched on to a cross from Henderson, took a sublime first touch and then hammered the ball high into the net from a tight angle. It was a stunning goal and one that Kenny Miller, co-commentating for the BBC, described as quite brilliant.

Soon after the goal, Mitchell was booked for a challenge on Jason Thomson. The Hibs man was injured in the process and was subbed in favour of Josh Campbell. Mueller was looking lively up front and clever footwork saw him make space for a shot, but the ball was blocked before it reached Gaston. Defending a corner, Nisbet went down injured and was replaced by Doidge whilst at the same time Hibs replaced Ewan Henderson with Drey Wright. By this time, Hibs seemed to have switched to a back four and Wright was deployed in front of them, providing cover alongside Josh Campbell.

With just three minutes of normal time left on the clock, Hibs ensured progression by scoring a third goal. Cadden delivered the ball from the right and the Arbroath defence made a hash of trying to clear it, allowing Chris Mueller to pounce and poke the ball home from close range. Mueller had another chance deep into time added on, but his stretching effort went just wide of Gaston’s right hand post. With the referee looking at his watch, Cadden was so unlucky when he fired in a low shot but found Gaston equal to the task.

The players

Macey – Matt had no chance for the goal he conceded but had three crucial saves at the start of the second half to ensure Hibs stayed level.

Bushiri – I’m convinced Arbroath targeted the area behind Cadden to put pressure on Rocky and he had a few dodgy moments as a result. Never really looked assured throughout.

Porteous – Apart from the first ten minutes of each half, when he had to be fully focused, I thought Porto was immense today and although one poor effort at a forward pass almost came back to haunt him, there were several other excellent passes out from the back.

Doig – Josh might have done better for the goal but in fairness he was left marking two men. Over the ninety minutes I thought he was very good both defending and attacking.

Cadden – Another excellent performance from Chris who has an engine on him and rarely lets you down with his use of the ball.

Doyle-Hayes – For weeks I’ve been critical of him taking in the ball and looking backwards or sideways for a pass but today I was impressed with the number of times he took the ball, turned and looked to play it forward.

Stevenson – I’ve been accused, many times, of being biased about Lewis but I defy anyone to disagree that he turned in a man of the match performance today. His use of the ball and his reading of the game was top notch, and he gets my man of the match award.

Mitchell – Found the space and finished the chance well to get us level but once again I thought he was running out of steam before injury forced his substitution.

Jasper – Full of running with the odd wee trick but I do feel the heavy pitch restricted what he sees as his natural game of running at players.

Henderson – A very clever player and I’m sure there’s more to come. Had he lasted the ninety minutes he might have been a challenge to Lewis for my man of the match.

Nisbet – Thank God he scored that wonderful goal, or the doubters might have been out in force tonight. Some very good link up play, and decent first touches, the skills some would have you believe he never displays.

Mueller – I was surprised he didn’t start but, in the time he got, he was productive and on hand, like all good scorers are, to tap home the third goal.

Campbell – Didn’t really do anything of note but equally didn’t really do anything wrong either.

Doidge – Put the effort in physically and will have benefited from that.

Wright – His neat one two with Cadden led to the third goal.

Shaun Maloney – How difficult it must be when being interviewed after a good win that he has to address questions pointing to negatives.

The Ref – Willie Collum was fine

StevieT
13-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Regarding the bizarre offside situation, the referee clearly put his arm in the air to signal offside but I assume he didn't blow the whistle. It's no wonder the players were confused.

brog
13-02-2022, 03:53 PM
Excellent as ever John, thanks. I recognise Rocky is a work in progress but my heart was in my mouth far too often today with some of his play. Like you I thought JDH had a fine game, probably his best since illness/injury and like you I was delighted to see Nisbet score such a quality goal. Was also good to have Kenny Miller as co commentator, at last someone who knows what he was talking about, unlike the host who was embarrassing. A very good team display and attitude was spot on, long may it continue!!

Baldy Foghorn
13-02-2022, 04:19 PM
Being close to the pitch, it was interesting hearing player interactions with referee/assistants and other players.

Delighted for KN getting a great goal, and the fans were signing his name loudly. Also shout out to Cadden, who chased what looked like a lost cause, kept it in, and that passage of play lead to our opening goal.

Mick O'Rourke
13-02-2022, 04:36 PM
Sterling stuff,John

The Romance of the Cup on the Angus Riviera.

Get well soon :thumbsup:

GreenCastle
13-02-2022, 04:49 PM
Well done Hibs.

What were the lyrics of the song they the fans were singing ?

Mikey_1875
13-02-2022, 05:18 PM
Well done Hibs.

What were the lyrics of the song they the fans were singing ?

It’s the same one as Celtic have for Jota

When you score you make the Hibees sing
Mueller on the wing, Mueller Mueller on the wing
Every time you’re on the ball we know
There’s gonna be a goal/show
our superstar from Orlando

I think the celtic version is on youtube for the tune of it. Can’t say I like it too much but it’s something different at least!

WestStandWillie
13-02-2022, 05:20 PM
The team are starting to get Maloney’s tactics. Small shoots of progression. It’s gonna be a slow process, I just hope the fans buy into it.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 05:31 PM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Get well soon

FitbaFolkKen
13-02-2022, 05:35 PM
Being close to the pitch, it was interesting hearing player interactions with referee/assistants and other players.

Anything particularly stand out? I quite enjoy that part of it when I watch Newtongrange Star.

Devonhibs
13-02-2022, 05:37 PM
Thanks Jonnyboy. I'm not convinced Rocky is fully fit at the moment.

BroxburnHibee
13-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Hope you feel better soon John.

Henderson played well but how Stevenson didn't get MOTM I'll never know.

Unseen work
13-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Only thing I’d disagree with is Doig.

Think he was poor today, weak defensively and almost cost us a couple of times, he’s also poor at playing out from the back.

Far more effective as a wing back but whilst he might go on very good rampaging runs Mitchell has now scored double the amount Doig has in his Hibs career and taken only 4 games to do it.

JohnM1875
13-02-2022, 06:13 PM

Think he was poor today, weak defensively and almost cost us a couple of times, he’s also poor at playing out from the back.

Far more effective as a wing back but whilst he might go on very good rampaging runs Mitchell has now scored double the amount Doig has in his Hibs career and taken only 4 games to do it.

I'm so confused when it comes to Doig. I honestly think he's unlucky for their goal as it hits off his back, but it's also terrible defending as he misses the header.

Think the boy is pretty obviously a good footballer, just not entirely sure he's a defender.

hibbydad
13-02-2022, 06:15 PM

I was there and Lewis totally was my man of the match. I also thought Henderson played very well

ancient hibee
13-02-2022, 06:43 PM
That’s a good point about the stupid questions to Maloney.Imagine being at a cup match and asking him if it was an important win. Maloney cleverly turned it and pointed out it was pretty important if you wanted to continue in the competition.

B.H.F.C
13-02-2022, 06:46 PM

Stevenson out MOTM by a distance IMO.

He stood up when we went 1-0 down.

Franck Stanton
13-02-2022, 06:46 PM
Great report, as always, you can be as biased towards Stevenson all you want as imo he is a rock for us no matter which position he is asked to play .
Great to score 3 goals, all by different players, helps with the confidence.
Onwards & upwards.

Hiber-nation
13-02-2022, 07:15 PM
Lewis's first half performance was as good as I've seen from a Hibs midfielder for ages. Relishing the armband and he should keep it.

mokie
13-02-2022, 07:25 PM
Prevented by illness from travelling to Arbroath, I had to watch the game on TV but at least I was warm and dry, unlike the fans who made the trip and got drenched for their troubles. Good on them though, their reward coming in the shape of a 3-1 win to Hibs in what was, at times, tough on the nerves.

Much was being made of this being a potential banana skin for Hibs, with their opponents top of the Championship and boasting a fine home record and Shaun Maloney would have to get his team selection and tactics spot on if Hibs were to progress. With Paul McGinn still out following his injury at Ibrox, Maloney made just one change to his starting eleven by bringing in Sylvester Jasper in what looked like a roving role between midfield and striker.

Given the hype and the conditions, the hosts were always going to start the game on the front foot and right from the off, one of their ploys became evident when a high ball was played into the space behind Cadden and Bushiri drew a foul from Jack Hamilton as he made to clear. A ball into that area was much used by Arbroath and Bushiri struggled at times to deal with it.

With just six minutes on the clock, Arbroath took the lead through Craig Wighton. A high ball into the Hibs penalty area was not cleared properly and was soon delivered back in. Doig just missed his header and was very unlucky when Wighton’s first touch struck him and fell perfectly for the striker to prod the ball past Macey. I’ll be honest here and admit my heart sank a little at that point but that didn’t last too long as first Bushiri and then Stevenson found space to shoot from outside the box. What encouraged me here, even though both attempts were blocked, was that we were taking shots from outside the box, something I feel we don’t do enough of.

An attempted quick break by Arbroath was stopped by a sliding and illegal challenge from Bushiri and that earned him the first yellow card of the game from Willie Collum. Hibs were now controlling things and forced a clutch of corners, but most were dealt with, only one offering the chance of a shot at goal from Doyle-Hayes but that was charged down. Cadden then went close whilst at the other end, McKenna’s effort drifted just wide of the post. Another excellent corner from Henderson witnessed Doig get a glancing header away but that too drifted just wide.

What happened next surely falls in to the bizarre category. A long high ball in behind Bushiri saw Wighton racing after it from a clearly offside position. Hibs expected a flag as the Arbroath man had surely intended to play the ball, but he didn’t, and a team mate swung in a cross with the Hibs defence switched off. Colin Hamilton pounced on the chance and but for a superb last ditch tackle by Porteous would surely have put the hosts 2-0 up.

With twenty minutes on the clock and after a sustained period of pressure, Hibs equalised. Stevenson took a touch to control the ball before sending a pinpoint cross to Mitchell at the far post. The Hibs man was completely free and steered a header down and past Gaston in the Arbroath goal. Spirits lifted by that goal I felt more relaxed about what I was watching now as Hibs continued to dominate proceedings. A superb through ball from Doyle-Hayes saw Cadden race in on goal, but he was nudged as he got his shot away and Gaston was able to save, low to his left. Next to have a go was Jasper who cut in from the left before firing a right footed attempt high and wide of the far post.

When Arbroath lost possession of the ball some twenty yards from goal it allowed Kevin Nisbet to get into the box and fire in a right footed effort which Gaston saved but the ball came back at Nisbet, and he attempted a fine lob towards the far post only to see that Gaston had recovered enough to tip that second effort over the bar.

Arbroath had kind of weathered the storm and as half time approached, they began to enjoy better possession going forward. Not long after McKenna had been booked for a foul on Doyle-Hayes, he slipped a ball through to Chris Hamilton, but the striker had his effort blocked and then right on the whistle, a Stewart free kick into the Hibs area was about to be cleared by Porteous when Little knocked him over, conceding a free kick in the process.

It has to be said that Hibs started the second half very poorly and had it not been for three good saves by Macey, they’d have gone behind in the game for a second time. Thankfully, Hibs began to dominate possession again and a snap shot by Stevenson looked like it might trouble Gaston but was blocked on its route to goal.

During the next fifteen or so minutes, Hibs won several corners without any reward and then a ball from Cadden on the right deflected towards the back post where Mitchell should have done better than hitting the side net. Next to try his luck was Ewan Henderson who took in a fine pass from Porteous, swivelled and shot from around twenty yards but Gaston was equal to the challenge.

On sixty five minutes, Mueller replaced a tiring Jasper, and the newcomer almost had an instant effect, releasing Nisbet who fired the ball into the net but had been flagged for offside. Whether it was frustration or just poor timing, Nisbet was then booked for a foul on Chris Hamilton. Nisbet though was anything but frustrated when, in the seventy first minute, he latched on to a cross from Henderson, took a sublime first touch and then hammered the ball high into the net from a tight angle. It was a stunning goal and one that Kenny Miller, co-commentating for the BBC, described as quite brilliant.

Soon after the goal, Mitchell was booked for a challenge on Jason Thomson. The Hibs man was injured in the process and was subbed in favour of Josh Campbell. Mueller was looking lively up front and clever footwork saw him make space for a shot, but the ball was blocked before it reached Gaston. Defending a corner, Nisbet went down injured and was replaced by Doidge whilst at the same time Hibs replaced Ewan Henderson with Drey Wright. By this time, Hibs seemed to have switched to a back four and Wright was deployed in front of them, providing cover alongside Josh Campbell.

With just three minutes of normal time left on the clock, Hibs ensured progression by scoring a third goal. Cadden delivered the ball from the right and the Arbroath defence made a hash of trying to clear it, allowing Chris Mueller to pounce and poke the ball home from close range. Mueller had another chance deep into time added on, but his stretching effort went just wide of Gaston’s right hand post. With the referee looking at his watch, Cadden was so unlucky when he fired in a low shot but found Gaston equal to the task.

The players

Macey – Matt had no chance for the goal he conceded but had three crucial saves at the start of the second half to ensure Hibs stayed level.

Bushiri – I’m convinced Arbroath targeted the area behind Cadden to put pressure on Rocky and he had a few dodgy moments as a result. Never really looked assured throughout.

Porteous – Apart from the first ten minutes of each half, when he had to be fully focused, I thought Porto was immense today and although one poor effort at a forward pass almost came back to haunt him, there were several other excellent passes out from the back.

Doig – Josh might have done better for the goal but in fairness he was left marking two men. Over the ninety minutes I thought he was very good both defending and attacking.

Cadden – Another excellent performance from Chris who has an engine on him and rarely lets you down with his use of the ball.

Doyle-Hayes – For weeks I’ve been critical of him taking in the ball and looking backwards or sideways for a pass but today I was impressed with the number of times he took the ball, turned and looked to play it forward.

Stevenson – I’ve been accused, many times, of being biased about Lewis but I defy anyone to disagree that he turned in a man of the match performance today. His use of the ball and his reading of the game was top notch, and he gets my man of the match award.

Mitchell – Found the space and finished the chance well to get us level but once again I thought he was running out of steam before injury forced his substitution.

Jasper – Full of running with the odd wee trick but I do feel the heavy pitch restricted what he sees as his natural game of running at players.

Henderson – A very clever player and I’m sure there’s more to come. Had he lasted the ninety minutes he might have been a challenge to Lewis for my man of the match.

Nisbet – Thank God he scored that wonderful goal, or the doubters might have been out in force tonight. Some very good link up play, and decent first touches, the skills some would have you believe he never displays.

Mueller – I was surprised he didn’t start but, in the time he got, he was productive and on hand, like all good scorers are, to tap home the third goal.

Campbell – Didn’t really do anything of note but equally didn’t really do anything wrong either.

Doidge – Put the effort in physically and will have benefited from that.

Wright – His neat one two with Cadden led to the third goal.

Shaun Maloney – How difficult it must be when being interviewed after a good win that he has to address questions pointing to negatives.

The Ref – Willie Collum was fine

well Ewan Henderson was awarded the motm by kenny miller and he even said that he’d thought about Chris cadden when he missed that chance late on so yes , you are once again being biased towards Lewis Stevenson…

JohnM1875
13-02-2022, 07:27 PM
Lewis's first half performance was as good as I've seen from a Hibs midfielder for ages. Relishing the armband and he should keep it.

Couldn't agree more. I genuinely love the guy though.

WeeRussell
13-02-2022, 07:36 PM
well Ewan Henderson was awarded the motm by kenny miller and he even said that he’d thought about Chris cadden when he missed that chance late on so yes , you are once again being biased towards Lewis Stevenson…

How does Kenny Miller having a different opinion mean Johnny is being biased?

FWIW I’d have selected Stevenson for MOTM too. And definitely ahead of Cadden. I’d also have had Porteous ahead of him too.

All opinions. And just nice to be debating who was best rather than worst for once.

Jonnyboy
13-02-2022, 08:01 PM

I’m guessing this is tongue in cheek

Billy Whizz
13-02-2022, 08:04 PM
I’m hoping Newell was watching, how high up the park Lewis was today

wookie70
13-02-2022, 08:11 PM

I thought I had replied to the OP earlier but must have forgot to submit. Totally agree with this. Doig had a pretty poor game imo and that has been the story of the season for him. Through no fault of his own he had a terrible start to the season with the way he was pulled from the side amid transfer speculation and he hasn't recovered since. Stevenson should have played far more this season but if Hanlon returns then Josh can maybe take a well earned rest

Mainstandman
13-02-2022, 08:15 PM
I'm so confused when it comes to Doig. I honestly think he's unlucky for their goal as it hits off his back, but it's also terrible defending as he misses the header.

Think the boy is pretty obviously a good footballer, just not entirely sure he's a defender.

What was clear today was that his judgement of an ariel ball needs work. Too often he was caught ahead of it and it went over his head. He can learn that but it means someone can get in behind him.

mokie
13-02-2022, 08:16 PM
I’m guessing this is tongue in cheek

no it’s not , far from it being perfectly honest.

Jones28
13-02-2022, 08:30 PM
Loving Lewis in midfield. I hope it gives him more game time.

How many managers is that Stevenson has been put in the team by now?

Really liked watching JDH today, we know he’s a player and there’s a reason we signed him.

Jones28
13-02-2022, 08:31 PM

JB does these write ups for nowt, if he wants to be bias towards LS I couldn’t care less.

mokie
13-02-2022, 08:34 PM
JB does these write ups for nowt, if he wants to be bias towards LS I couldn’t care less.

good for him if he does them for nowt. It’s his choice but he’s gotta be objective and not biased otherwise what’s the point in doing them ????

Lewis was certainly cracking but not the motm that’s for sure.

brog
13-02-2022, 08:37 PM
No, that's only your opinion and John's opinion was different.

HibbyAndy
13-02-2022, 08:38 PM
good for him if he does them for nowt. It’s his choice but he’s gotta be objective and not biased otherwise what’s the point in doing them ????

He was my MOTM , Counts for nothing , But his distribution was superb and got himself an assist

Bridge hibs
13-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Agree with everything Jonnyboy and MOM, wee Lewie was solid, thanks for taking the time to write this up 👍

IberianHibernian
13-02-2022, 08:52 PM
Loving Lewis in midfield. I hope it gives him more game time.

How many managers is that Stevenson has been put in the team by now?

Really liked watching JDH today, we know he’s a player and there’s a reason we signed him.Lewis S all been said and I agree . Glad someone picked up on JDH . Think he`s been great in last few games despite horror mistake last week and is showing signs that he`s going to be even more important in coming games . Always available for the ball and starting to show more confidence - even shot today and some good passes in attacking positions in recent games . A good signing by JR but think SM is getting more out of him .

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 08:52 PM
Not the first time Jonnyboy’s MOM has been challenged and it won’t be the last

That is the beauty of this thread it is all about opinions

Probably why it is the most eagerly anticipated thread on this site

Always interesting to read Jonnyboy’s take on things as he is usually never far away

Jonnyboy
13-02-2022, 08:58 PM

Ok you disagree with my opinion but you’re entitled to yours ✅

Aldo
13-02-2022, 09:03 PM
Ok you disagree with my opinion but you’re entitled to yours [emoji736]

JB thanks for that this evening, hope you’re feeling better.

All about opinions I suppose but it’s how those opinions are put across!

Lewis was my MOTM closely followed by Henderson and Cadden!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angus hibby
13-02-2022, 09:05 PM
Lewis S all been said and I agree . Glad someone picked up on JDH . Think he`s been great in last few games despite horror mistake last week and is showing signs that he`s going to be even more important in coming games . Always available for the ball and starting to show more confidence - even shot today and some good passes in attacking positions in recent games . A good signing by JR but think SM is getting more out of him .

This. A very good player who will be hugely appreciated by team mates. Always prepared to get on the ball and keep things ticking over. Him and Newell will be crucial for the way we play.

13-02-2022, 09:10 PM

7 posts in 14 years, of which 2 deleted and 4 today having a go at Jonnyboy for picking Lewis as MOTM. :faf: :faf: :faf: See you in 2036.

WeeRussell
13-02-2022, 09:13 PM

You’re being biased as you don’t want to admit to Stevenson’s quality.

Try being objective.

Seveno
13-02-2022, 09:31 PM
Pretty good all round performance and good to see so many passes played forward.

What is the stage above legend? Whatever it is, that’s where Lewis stands.

13-02-2022, 09:38 PM
Pretty good all round performance and good to see so many passes played forward.

What is the stage above legend? Whatever it is, that’s where Lewis stands.

Bellend? 🤔 That's just above your leg-end, kind of.

WeeRussell
13-02-2022, 09:40 PM
Bellend? 🤔 That's just above your leg-end, kind of.

Speak for yourself 😁

Jonnyboy
13-02-2022, 09:43 PM
7 posts in 14 years, of which 2 deleted and 4 today having a go at Jonnyboy for picking Lewis as MOTM. :faf: :faf: :faf: See you in 2036.

My 2036 offering will still have Lewis as man of the match as the wee man will still attract my ‘bias’ 😆

loanheadhibby
13-02-2022, 10:12 PM
Lewis S all been said and I agree . Glad someone picked up on JDH . Think he`s been great in last few games despite horror mistake last week and is showing signs that he`s going to be even more important in coming games . Always available for the ball and starting to show more confidence - even shot today and some good passes in attacking positions in recent games . A good signing by JR but think SM is getting more out of him .
DOH has been great the last few games you are having a laugh.
He did ok today but it's embarrassing you even mention that he had a shot at goal.
Hope I'm wrong but feel he's at best a St Mirren player.
I'll be the first to apologise if he finishes the season strongly.

Jim44
13-02-2022, 10:52 PM
Very good, as usual, Jonnyboy. One minor observation I would make about this match being a potential banana skin. To me it wasn’t. I regard banana skin games as ones where one team is seriously expected to win and the result goes the other way in favour of the highly unfancied team. As we all knew, and their recent record and form testifies to it, Arbroath were never going to be push overs and, if they hadbeaten us, it certainly wouldn’t have been unexpected.

13-02-2022, 10:59 PM
Speak for yourself 😁

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. 😯

13-02-2022, 11:03 PM
DOH has been great the last few games you are having a laugh.
He did ok today but it's embarrassing you even mention that he had a shot at goal.
Hope I'm wrong but feel he's at best a St Mirren player.
I'll be the first to apologise if he finishes the season strongly.

Best typo in a while.

https://i.ibb.co/wCXfV85/92-ACAD61-C990-638-A-AD90-DD36016599-EE.jpg (https://ibb.co/HYsj6R5)

USAHibee
13-02-2022, 11:11 PM

Just Finished watching the game over here, Lewis was absolutely fantastic and I thought Nisbet worked tirelessly and tried to link up midfield, not quite sure how you can critique young Doigs every move, given he was obviously playing out of position,I thought he did a professional job for someone so young in a tough environment. Rocky and Ryan were both culpable of giving up possession and chances. Felt Mitchell took his goal really well but was to easily pushed of the ball, young Jasper looked busy without much coming off for him but he's got exciting potential, Cadden was fantastic as usual - hopefully the team can motor on from here...

Unseen work
13-02-2022, 11:17 PM
Just Finished watching the game over here, Lewis was absolutely fantastic and I thought Nisbet worked tirelessly and tried to link up midfield, not quite sure how you can critique young Doigs every move, given he was obviously playing out of position,I thought he did a professional job for someone so young in a tough environment. Rocky and Ryan were both culpable of giving up possession and chances. Felt Mitchell took his goal really well but was to easily pushed of the ball, young Jasper looked busy without much coming off for him but he's got exciting potential, Cadden was fantastic as usual - hopefully the team can motor on from here...

Wouldn’t quite say I’m critiquing just every move and appreciate it’s an unfamiliar position but I thought he was our weak point at times.

Missed the header for the goal and a couple of times was too weak against there forwards and tbh quite lucky it never lead to another goal

USAHibee
13-02-2022, 11:24 PM
Wouldn’t quite say I’m critiquing just every move and appreciate it’s an unfamiliar position but I thought he was our weak point at times.

Missed the header for the goal and a couple of times was too weak against there forwards and tbh quite lucky it never lead to another goal

I forget he's only 19/20, I didn't see the bombscare you saw but football is about opinions and I wasn't there in person.. it does say a lot for him he's not been shipped to a Kilmarnock to learn his trade...big future ahead for the kid

Brooster
13-02-2022, 11:32 PM
Henderson MotM by a country mile, ran the show. Get well soon JB.

USAHibee
13-02-2022, 11:35 PM
Henderson MotM by a country mile, ran the show. Get well soon JB.

Exciting prospect, great vision, exciting young player, this team will come good..

Forza Fred
14-02-2022, 12:40 AM

My view on Doig is that he is very good on powerful runs down the left flank but the coaches need to pull him aside and show him how to get the accurate final delivery in.

I have noticed several times too that he fails to clear crosses to the back post, or positions himself wrong.

Happened in the cup final happened yesterday and during a couple of other games.

Again, one for our coaching staff to fix.

USAHibee
14-02-2022, 01:12 AM
My view on Doig is that he is very good on powerful runs down the left flank but the coaches need to pull him aside and show him how to get the accurate final delivery in.

I have noticed several times too that he fails to clear crosses to the back post, or positions himself wrong.

Happened in the cup final happened yesterday and during a couple of other games.

He's only 20, what player is the finished article so young. You could say all that for Porteous who is only this season starting to fulfill his potential. Another prime example is the young lad at Aberdeen, put on a pedestal and is now being hung out to dry for mistakes any young kid would make as an apprentice...

Col L
14-02-2022, 05:52 AM
Thanks as always Jonnyboy.

Whoever was MoTM, it’s great that for once there were a number of contenders - for me, it was Henderson, Lewis and Cadden.

I would only disagree with you on Porto - far from immense today for me. Maybe I’m harsh on him because I played centre half myself, but he was beaten to a lot of balls in the air today and was over-elaborate and wayward with too many passes. Big Marv pulled him up on Sportscene last night for a few other things too. On the plus side, he always wants the ball and never hides, but he will have much better days then this.

But enough of the negatives from me, this was a performance full of character and it was good to be part of a happy crowd celebrating at the end with the players.

GGTTH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unseen work
14-02-2022, 06:26 AM
I forget he's only 19/20, I didn't see the bombscare you saw but football is about opinions and I wasn't there in person.. it does say a lot for him he's not been shipped to a Kilmarnock to learn his trade...big future ahead for the kid

Again, I’m not saying he was a bombscare at all - that’s you using those words.

I’m just saying he never had the best game imo and his defending at times was poor. On a positive his pace was a bonus as he did cover well on a few occasions.

He undoubtedly has a bright and exciting future, but for me for him to get to the top it will be as a left wing back.

Unseen work
14-02-2022, 06:28 AM

Agree his powerful fans and ability to drag us up the pitch is his best attribute and a great option for the team to have.

If he can improve his ability on the ball with final balls and a bit of composure he’s got a real chance of moving to a high level and staying there. Agree re defending the back post, hopefully with experience and better awareness he’ll improve

PeeJay
14-02-2022, 06:30 AM
Good read again. Difficult game for Hibs, poor weather and pitch conditions and a "on form" lower league team. Team did well to come back after losing a very poor goal. Played some decent stuff and we saw some good performances. It will do the team's confidence good to have a win behind them, maybe we can push on a bit more from here? Some serious lapses of concentration at various moments of the game, i.e. at the start of both halves and the failure to play to the whistle that could have costs us a goal - better teams will punish us...

.... never mind Boyle having left us, what are we going to do when Lewis is too old to play? :greengrin

JimBHibees
14-02-2022, 07:10 AM

Stevenson was excellent and definitely in the running for motm. Miller also mentioned he had been excellent in commentary. Not sure where you see any bias as there is none as he played very well.

Forza Fred
14-02-2022, 07:24 AM
He's only 20, what player is the finished article so young. You could say all that for Porteous who is only this season starting to fulfill his potential. Another prime example is the young lad at Aberdeen, put on a pedestal and is now being hung out to dry for mistakes any young kid would make as an apprentice...

I respectfully suggest that if you read my post again you will see where I suggest areas that he needs to be coached on.

It’s obvious he isn’t the finished article but he will be a better player if he is shown how to improve his game, instead of possibly just repeating the same shortcomings, and hoping somehow, things suddenly fall into place.

That’s why we have coaching staff.

LewysGot2
14-02-2022, 07:38 AM

How bizarre a take on things.

BBC Online gave the Man of the Match to Lewis.

Lots of folk at the game gave it to Lewis. Close up you could see and hear his leadership as well as his playing contribution.

You should give JB a day off on Saturday and do the report.

Bostonhibby
14-02-2022, 07:44 AM
Thanks again for the summary JB, always look forward to it from afar. Just got round to watching the game late and it was a great performance, plenty played well, Special mention to Nisbet and Henderson but Stevenson was my man of the match, leadership and no end of midfield skill on show.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2022, 07:55 AM
I also thought Stevenson was man of the match, Henderson had a very good 2nd half, but for me Lewy was good for the whole match. :top marks

Hibby Bairn
14-02-2022, 07:56 AM
Watched from sunny Canaries on TV via a phone!

Hibs played well. Stevenson MOM. Miller excellent co-commentator. Well done the fans. Well done Maloney. Rob Maclean must be the worst radio commentator on the BBC (lasted 1 min before switching to TV).

IMO 😎

Monktonhall 7
14-02-2022, 08:40 AM
4 of us at the match all agreed MoTM to Lewis, not just for his play, but also his leadership. I was in the enclosure at the side of the pitch beside the TV cameras, and it was difficult to see up the right hand side of the pitch in the second half. I didn’t realise how effective Cadden was until I watched it back on TV.

Thanks again Johnnyboy for the reports. It’s my first port of call on HIbs.net after any match.

Stubbsy90+2
14-02-2022, 09:28 AM
Got to say the whole giant killing/banana skin patter yesterday was a mixture of total cringe from the MSM but also hugely disrespectful to Arbroath.

This is a team who are comfortably top of the table in the Championship with 12 games to go. A team who are favourites to be playing in the top tier next season.

You can guarantee if we’d been playing Kilmarnock yesterday that the build up would have been completely different. Making out like Arbroath were a pub team is really doing their club, manager and players a huge injustice.

Since452
14-02-2022, 09:32 AM
Got to say the whole giant killing/banana skin patter yesterday was a mixture of total cringe from the MSM but also hugely disrespectful to Arbroath.

This is a team who are comfortably top of the table in the Championship with 12 games to go. A team who are favourites to be playing in the top tier next season.

You can guarantee if we’d been playing Kilmarnock yesterday that the build up would have been completely different. Making out like Arbroath were a pub team is really doing their club, manager and players a huge injustice.

I agree. You don't get to where they are in mid February by accident.

MWHIBBIES
14-02-2022, 09:35 AM

They're a part time side. Kilmarnock aren't. It would be a massive shock, same as them winning the league would be.

They were made to look every bit a pub team by us as well tbf.

WestStandWillie
14-02-2022, 09:39 AM

Must really stick in yer craw that Stevenson was fantastic yesterday.

There’s quite a few folk on here and social media that berate LS and won’t ever acknowledge his contribution. Sad.

Stubbsy90+2
14-02-2022, 09:41 AM
They're a part time side. Kilmarnock aren't. It would be a massive shock, same as them winning the league would be.

They were made to look every bit a pub team by us as well tbf.

And they’re top of the league after 24 games. That fact matters a hell of a lot more with regards to how good they are than how many hours a week they train or what their players earn.

They’re where they are on merit, a better team than Kilmarnock and are the best team in the Championship.

MWHIBBIES
14-02-2022, 09:44 AM
And they’re top of the league after 24 games. That fact matters a hell of a lot more with regards to how good they are than how many hours a week they train or what their players earn.

They’re where they are on merit, a better team than Kilmarnock and are the best team in the Championship.

Where they are after 36 is what matters. Long way to go. They are looking good for that league, but they were dreadful yesterday.

Stubbsy90+2
14-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Where they are after 36 is what matters. Long way to go. They are looking good for that league, but they were dreadful yesterday.

Of course. But we played them after 24 and after 24 games they’re the best team in that league.

The media making out like they were a diddy team was really quite poor. You wouldn’t have got the same pish had we been playing poorer teams from that league.

Jones28
14-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Of course. But we played them after 24 and after 24 games they’re the best team in that league.

The media making out like they were a diddy team was really quite poor. You wouldn’t have got the same pish had we been playing poorer teams from that league.

I didn't see much of that if I'm honest, I saw a lot of people saying it would have been a massive shock if part time Arbroath knocked us out the cup.

And it would have been. Where they are in the Championship is phenomenal no doubt, but all the more so because of their status as a part time club. It speaks just as much about how poor a league the championship is at the moment that relatively big clubs like Killie and Dunfermline are off the pace and Arbroath are comfortably top.

PatHead
14-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the report JB. Hope you are feeling better.