PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Glass

we are hibs
13-02-2022, 09:29 AM
Sacked by Aberdeen

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Diclonius
13-02-2022, 09:34 AM
Not a surprise. Wasn't working for him at all.

Jones28
13-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Wow didn’t expect that, thought they were playing the long game.

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 09:42 AM
Think the fans were trying to fight the players yesterday. There comes a point usually with managers where a game becomes more than just a defeat. It can be an absolute scudding by a team you shouldn’t be getting scudded by like Ole at Man Utd, it can be getting 2 men sent off in a gutless performance like JR and it can be things like yesterday for Aberdeen. As soon as I saw the clip of Ferguson and the fans I reckoned it was time up for him.

Be interesting to see who they go for next.

Heisenberg
13-02-2022, 09:42 AM
I see a lot of similarities between him at Aberdeen and Maloney here. Ripped up their recruitment, ideas of “attractive, attacking football” and they replaced a supposed “safe” manager with a rookie. Certainly hasn’t worked out for them. Let’s hope it goes a bit better for us.

Pretty Green
13-02-2022, 09:43 AM
Scott Brown until the end of the season or has he gone too?

H18 SFR
13-02-2022, 09:46 AM
I see a lot of similarities between him at Aberdeen and Maloney here. Ripped up their recruitment, ideas of “attractive, attacking football” and they replaced a supposed “safe” manager with a rookie. Certainly hasn’t worked out for them. Let’s hope it goes a bit better for us.

I’ve spent all week trying to change my mindset from uber frustration at how we are playing/direction we appear to be going in to one more understanding of the ‘vision’.

Read your post and feel very anxious again.

1875Sean
13-02-2022, 09:46 AM
Can see them getting in Ross, goalie coach is already there now

Allant1981
13-02-2022, 09:47 AM

He is a player as well so doubt he will be gone

H18 SFR
Can see them getting in Ross

He would be a good appointment.

Chip shop Joe
Jack Ross is a dead cert.

FilipinoHibs
13-02-2022, 09:48 AM
One experiment over! Which one is next?

Heisenberg
13-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Can see them getting in Ross, goalie coach is already there now

Wouldn’t go down well with their fans at all.

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 09:57 AM
I reckon Lee Johnson will be in with a shout.

Callum_62
13-02-2022, 09:58 AM
Wouldn’t go down well with their fans at all.Why not?

Done really well with us

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2022, 09:59 AM
A good example of why writing off the short term for an inexperienced managers plan isn't a great play. He got plenty time and was still hopeless.

Let's hope Maloney is different

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 10:00 AM
Why not?

Done really well with us

Probably for similar reasons McInnes wouldn’t have been universally accepted here and McInnes has a better CV than JR.

They’ll have seen that a lot of Hibs fans weren’t hugely enamoured with watching JRs team and they also won’t be keen on the idea of a manager Hibs sacked. They spend alot more money than us and will be wanting someone better I’d imagine.

Heisenberg
13-02-2022, 10:02 AM
Why not?

Done really well with us

Last season aye. This season turned into a mess. Can’t see them being delighted with a manager binned by Hibs after taking us on the kind of run he did. They were also massively frustrated with McInnes for losing finals and against the Old Firm, JR’s record in those games won’t appeal to their fanbase.

Springbank
13-02-2022, 10:03 AM
The dons fans seem to want Jim Goodwin, not interested in Ross,too dull a la McInnes, and they don't want Kevin Thomson because of his rangers TV stuff

04Sauzee
13-02-2022, 10:05 AM
Brown still there obviously as registered as a player.

Aberdeen FC this morning confirms the departure of manager Stephen Glass.

Stephen has left the Dons with immediate effect alongside coaches Allan Russell and Henry Apaloo.

Willis1875
13-02-2022, 10:10 AM
Neil Lennon

GreenCastle
13-02-2022, 10:11 AM
Ross I’m sure would be interested. Don’t think he will be appointed though.

Think making Scott Brown player coach was never a good idea - conflict of dressing room / coaching.

Don’t think Lee Johnson would be a good appointment.

Goodwin got a good chance of getting it and will definitely see it as a step up.

I do agree though Aberdeen had plenty stability and have done a few similar things to Hibs (changes of back room staff etc). Hopefully Hibs don’t follow similar paths as that will set us back further.

JamesHFC
13-02-2022, 10:11 AM
1 win in 15 away games is dire for a club of that stature. Will be surprised if it’s anyone other than Ross, will he be what the Aberdeen fans want? Time will tell.

Frazerbob
13-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Feel sorry for Glass. Seems a decent guy and tried his best. Should never have got the gig in the first place. Suspect I’ll be saying similar in a few week about our manager.

Jack Ross is the obvious choice. Has a great, very recent, track record in scotland and is available. He’ll also have a point to prove.

Key West
13-02-2022, 10:13 AM
A good example of why writing off the short term for an inexperienced managers plan isn't a great play. He got plenty time and was still hopeless.

Let's hope Maloney is different

Nonsense.

Highwayman
13-02-2022, 10:15 AM
As a previous post stated there’s always one particular game that finishes off a managers time at a club.Yesterdays defeat to Motherwell was that game for Stephen Glass.

I have been and continue to be impressed with the good work Jim Goodwin is doing at St Mirren.I would’ve liked to have seen him at ER but that’s not on at the moment.Would he be a candidate for the post at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen may not be willing to pay compensation for a manager already in a job.In that case they’ll have plenty to choosr

Zambernardi1875
13-02-2022, 10:16 AM
Aberdeen like boring football with a manager who fails in big games so Jack Ross will be in with a shout

wookie70
13-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Very similar to Maloney imo. Tried to change something that had been very successful. Almost exactly the same points per game and nowhere near enough opportunity to change a footballing philosophy in two windows with one only just kicking in. I expect Maloney will be the same as if you want such a big change you have to commit and give it time. Hibs fans and board aren't patient enough for that imo

Lago
13-02-2022, 10:17 AM
Didn't take long for that link to be made, who'd have thought?

CentreLine
13-02-2022, 10:18 AM

Jack Ross would be a great choice for them and I’d worry about them overtaking us quickly

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2022, 10:18 AM
The writings on the wall, Jack Ross will get the job, and he will finally win a big game by beating us in the cup final. :faf:

PS i know they lost yesterday.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 10:26 AM
Like others I cannot help but draw comparisons with Maloney

The honeymoon period is well and truly over and the new way of playing appears to have been a false dawn as our players struggle to adjust conceding soft goals after getting caught in possession too near our goal

Let’s hope for a victory today

Onwards and upwards

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 10:31 AM
Very similar to Maloney imo. Tried to change something that had been very successful. Almost exactly the same points per game and nowhere near enough opportunity to change a footballing philosophy in two windows with one only just kicking in. I expect Maloney will be the same as if you want such a big change you have to commit and give it time. Hibs fans and board aren't patient enough for that imo

A real stretch to suggest that a 7th place finish, a 3rd place finish and a sacking whilst in 7th place is very successful imo. Even less so when you throw in a cup final defeat to St J, a cup semi thumping to St J and a cup semi defeat to your lower league city rivals.

Ross was decent at Hibs overall. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not like we’re ripping up some sort of glory years though.

hibbyfraelibby
13-02-2022, 10:33 AM

Broonie is a registered player. With the whole coaching team gone he'll either be interim or at worst just a player.

MikeyS
13-02-2022, 10:34 AM
The writings on the wall, Jack Ross will get the job, and he will finally win a big game by beating us in the cup final. :faf:

PS i know they lost yesterday.

100% 🤣

FilipinoHibs
13-02-2022, 10:34 AM
Maloney will be given to be t season given the amount of change that is happening mid season. Two or three months into next season he will be gone if not producing results.

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2022, 10:42 AM
Nonsense.

I wish.

Shrekko
13-02-2022, 10:46 AM
Aberdeen like boring football with a manager who fails in big games so Jack Ross will be in with a shout

Same thing went thought my mind when we were humping Rangers at Hampden to make our 2nd National Cup Final in a row.

Seems like a long time ago right enough.

Key West
13-02-2022, 10:48 AM
Like others I cannot help but draw comparisons with Maloney

The honeymoon period is well and truly over and the new way of playing appears to have been a false dawn as our players struggle to adjust conceding soft goals after getting caught in possession too near our goal

Let’s hope for a victory today

Onwards and upwards

Glad you are not in charge of Hibs.

Alfred E Newman
13-02-2022, 10:49 AM
Neil Lennon

With Broon already there I can see that happening.

Since90+2
13-02-2022, 10:50 AM
A real stretch to suggest that a 7th place finish, a 3rd place finish and a sacking whilst in 7th place is very successful imo. Even less so when you throw in a cup final defeat to St J, a cup semi thumping to St J and a cup semi defeat to your lower league city rivals.

Ross was decent at Hibs overall. Nothing more, nothing less. It’s not like we’re ripping up some sort of glory years though.

How often have Hibs finished 3rd in the last 2 decades? Ross achieving that is more than "decent". Unfortunately, our club have criminally underperformed for generations, so finishing 3rd by our standards and a cup final is indeed a very very good season.

J-C
13-02-2022, 10:52 AM
They have a decent squad, Ross would be the ideal candidate for the job.

Callum_62
13-02-2022, 10:57 AM
How often have Hibs finished 3rd in the last 2 decades? Ross achieving that is more than "decent". Unfortunately, our club have criminally underperformed for generations, so finishing 3rd by our standards and a cup final is indeed a very very good season.Your not taking into account how gash the league was

Only reason we finished third

Apparently

Zambernardi1875
13-02-2022, 10:57 AM
Same thing went thought my mind when we were humping Rangers at Hampden to make our 2nd National Cup Final in a row.

Seems like a long time ago right enough.

a fantastic 45mins, there wasnt many mind. if winning semi finals are deemed success youre easily pleased

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 11:02 AM
Glad you are not in charge of Hibs.

Your point is caller ?

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 11:05 AM
How often have Hibs finished 3rd in the last 2 decades? Ross achieving that is more than "decent". Unfortunately, our club have criminally underperformed for generations, so finishing 3rd by our standards and a cup final is indeed a very very good season.

Finishing third was more than decent, absolutely. His overall tenure wasn’t nothing but third place finishes though. His first season saw us finish 7th and his last season saw him leave with us in 7th and on a run of form that was relegation esque.

When you’re looking at Ross as a whole you can’t just leave out the bad bits hence why I’d say he was decent overall and also why I’d say it’s over the top to suggest his time at Hibs was very successful and that we’re ripping up what was a very successful formula. We haven’t done that. It had a successful season sandwiched between an average one at the beginning and a poor one at the end.

Since90+2
13-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Finishing third was more than decent, absolutely. His overall tenure wasn’t nothing but third place finishes though. His first season saw us finish 7th and his last season saw him leave with us in 7th and on a run of form that was relegation esque.

When you’re looking at Ross as a whole you can’t just leave out the bad bits.

Similarly, I don't think you can judge him on the other 2 seasons when he left or joined mid season. The only full season he had with us he finished 3rd and done very well in the cups.

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 11:10 AM
Similarly, I don't think you can judge him on the other 2 seasons when he left or joined mid season. The only full season he had with us he finished 3rd and done very well in the cups.

We can’t judge him on his games this season? He was two years into the job, why on earth can’t we judge him on this season? :confused: I’d agree more about the first season but not able to judge him on this season?

If that’s the case then yes, Jack Ross done an exceptional job and shouldn’t have been sacked. But that’s of course based on the fact we’re removing all the bits that didn’t go so well and keeping in the bits that did go well.

eastmainsmsh
13-02-2022, 11:10 AM
Malky McKay

Zambernardi1875
13-02-2022, 11:11 AM

stop saying he did well in the cups, look who he beat

Yorkshire HFC
13-02-2022, 11:11 AM
Be a stable club getting 2nd / 3rd in the league every year, cup semi finals and finals, Europe every year - you'd think that would be good.

But no, that's not good enough for a few fans and so the owner sacks the manager and the club goes into a period of upheaval - how many years will it take them to get back to the levels they were at when they sacked Mcinnes?

Very few people have more than one successful business - and football constantly proves this point out. So many people who made good in one business try their hand at football and flounder.

And yes - I can see many similarities at Hibs, unfortunately.

A Hi-Bee
13-02-2022, 11:15 AM
They have a decent squad, Ross would be the ideal candidate for the job.

Yes but Ross has previous wi American owners.

Key West
13-02-2022, 11:15 AM
Your point is caller ?

You must watch a lot of games behind the sofa,try a wee bit of optimism now and again.

scoopyboy
13-02-2022, 11:16 AM
stop saying he did well in the cups, look who he beat

Hardly his fault who we beat, you can only play the teams you draw.

Yet another one to beat him up with.

I'm glad he's gone but he wasn't a disaster

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 11:19 AM
Hardly his fault who we beat, you can only play the teams you draw.

Yet another one to beat him up with.

I'm glad he's gone but he wasn't a disaster

To be fair we beat Cove in the cup and Maloney has been slaughtered for it ever since.

Lancs Harp
13-02-2022, 11:21 AM
Wonder if Darren Fletcher might be interested ?

Apologies for dragging the thread back away from the Jack Ross show.

Heisenberg
13-02-2022, 11:23 AM

So we shouldn’t judge Maloney because he joined mid season?

Since90+2
13-02-2022, 11:27 AM

I suppose the difference is Ross had already proven in his first season, when he steadied the ship, and then finishing 3rd (in addition to his time at Alloa and St Mirren) that he is a good manager.

Maloney has zero track record as a manager, so it's more worrying IMO.

RIP
13-02-2022, 11:27 AM

Manager sacked by Aberdeen for a bad run and a poor standard of football replaced by manager sacked by Hibs for a bad run and a poor standard of football

hibeerealist
13-02-2022, 11:28 AM
1 win in 15 away games is dire for a club of that stature. Will be surprised if it’s anyone other than Ross, will he be what the Aberdeen fans want? Time will tell.

No no way will the sheep appoint JR

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 11:30 AM

We shouldn’t be judging him until the end of the 2022/2023 season if we use that logic.

cannastar
13-02-2022, 11:36 AM
david martindale wouldnt be a bad shout for them bigger budget and outwith the top two has done as well as anyone. was kind of wishing we had considered him and marvin before maloney was appointd.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 11:40 AM
You must watch a lot of games behind the sofa,try a wee bit of optimism now and again.
Probably seen HIBS loads more than you over 65 years

Just calling it as I see it

No aspirations to be HIBS Manager

Oh! From the back of my sofa I can see Arbroath 1 v 0 Hibernian

makaveli1875
13-02-2022, 11:49 AM
Get in there

Oops wrong thread

1875Sean
13-02-2022, 12:06 PM
Early odds make Ross favourite

Jack Ross - 3/1
Jim Goodwin - 4/1
Scott Brown - 5/1
Barry Robson - 5/1
Neil Lennon - 6/1
Gordon Strachan - 7/1
Paul Lambert - 8/1
Jack Collison - 10/1

Since452
13-02-2022, 12:16 PM
I'd be gutted if they appoint Ross.

Scorrie
13-02-2022, 12:31 PM
Goodwin to Dons and then Ross to the Buddies?

cannastar
13-02-2022, 12:36 PM
scott brown at fault for both goals yesterday gave ball away for first and got in way of goalkeeper for second. maybe he will ditch the playing side if he gets the interm gig til end of season.

jacomo
13-02-2022, 01:50 PM

:agree:

I suppose he was given something of a free pass last season, in order to put his plan in place for this one.

However, if as a club you employ a manager to oversee a radical change in squad and playing style then you do need to show patience.

jacomo
13-02-2022, 01:52 PM
I'd be gutted if they appoint Ross.

I’d be pleased for him.

Seems like a decent guy, don’t want him out of the game for long.

Key West
13-02-2022, 02:04 PM

You probably haven't seen more games but anyhow you can relax we scored 3 goals in reply.

gaz1875
13-02-2022, 02:05 PM

You can come out now it finished 1-3 :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 02:11 PM
You probably haven't seen more games but anyhow you can relax we scored 3 goals in reply.

Want a bet ?

Probs have over 1000 programmes 😃

jacomo
13-02-2022, 02:19 PM
Goodwin to Dons and then Ross to the Buddies?

Jack does love managing St Mirren players…

hibbyfraelibby
13-02-2022, 02:22 PM
Jack Ross wont manage a team not within commuting distance of Ponteland...

ancient hibee
13-02-2022, 02:26 PM

One has been coaching kids in the USA the other has been coaching some of the best players in the world. Not really similar situation.

Malthibby
13-02-2022, 02:28 PM
One has been coaching kids in the USA the other has been coaching some of the best players in the world. Not really similar situation.

Not similar at all, we're in the next round for starters.
GG

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 02:29 PM

Yup. Other than them both only being a manager in their own right for the first time there’s very little in the way of similarities.

Different types of player, different careers, different ages.

Maloney was a regular Scottish international, glass wasn’t.

Maloney won 9 major honours including an FA cup in England. Glass won 1 League Cup.

Glass retired absolutely ages ago now from playing and has never done anything of note since before getting the Aberdeen job.

Maloney comes with a far better pedigree/CV than Glass.

A Hi-Bee
13-02-2022, 02:43 PM
They need a Shepherd.

:greengrin

Key West
13-02-2022, 02:47 PM
Want a bet ?

Probs have over 1000 programmes 😃

Hibs90
13-02-2022, 02:50 PM
david martindale wouldnt be a bad shout for them bigger budget and outwith the top two has done as well as anyone. was kind of wishing we had considered him and marvin before maloney was appointd.

Are you serious?

WestCoastHibby
13-02-2022, 02:59 PM
Are you serious?
David Martindale has done wonders with Livvy but I don’t see him ever being given a chance anywhere higher than their or similar sized infrastructure

cannastar
13-02-2022, 03:13 PM
livingstone are three points off fourth place only neilson has done a better job outwith the old firm. why wouldnt he deserve a chance at a bigger club. seems to get the best out of average players and marvin knows and gets our club. now that maloney is here im one who wants to see him get every chance and hopefully he gets us playing good football and gets results to go with it but cant take away from martindale what he has done with livi since he has been in charge.

J-C
13-02-2022, 03:14 PM

Limiting his options then, he's either a full time committed manager or he isn't, many other managers seem to do it.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2022, 03:55 PM

Sorry that was just my Scotland programmes

Scotland Travel Club Member No 85 😃

Since90+2
13-02-2022, 04:06 PM

Absolute rubbish.

Stokesy's on fire
13-02-2022, 04:48 PM
Could end up John Hughes for the rest of the season

Chip shop Joe
13-02-2022, 04:58 PM
Manager sacked by Aberdeen for a bad run and a poor standard of football replaced by manager sacked by Hibs for a bad run and a poor standard of football

This tends to be why any manager gets sacked and there are very few who don’t. It is very much a manager merry go round!

Wilson
13-02-2022, 05:01 PM

Aye. Kim never sang about Belgium.

wookie70
13-02-2022, 05:03 PM
We shouldn’t be judging him until the end of the 2022/2023 season if we use that logic.

Glass got until a month after his second window but did benefit from a month or two at the tail end of the season he joined. He had one pre-season. So that would mean Maloney would be September 2022 in my book or being generous the 11 months Glass got which would take him to Nov 2022.

For what it is worth I would like Ron to be really brave and say this is a change of direction and short of being relegated Maloney will be here for his contract. That takes away any pressure about job being on the line and most players will realise they manager will be there longer than them so they have to toe the line. Maloney is trying to completely change the way we play and that will take time. Signs of progress are needed but we might need to sacrifice short term results for long term success.

Ridiculous how Glass has been treated imo but I would say the same about Heck and Ross too.

Onion
13-02-2022, 05:20 PM

Have to laugh thinking back to Willie Miller and his BBC chums lauding Glass and what he was going to do to all-comers after their 5-1 home win against Hacken back in July. Looking a tad silly, now.

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 06:52 PM
Glass got until a month after his second window but did benefit from a month or two at the tail end of the season he joined. He had one pre-season. So that would mean Maloney would be September 2022 in my book or being generous the 11 months Glass got which would take him to Nov 2022.

For what it is worth I would like Ron to be really brave and say this is a change of direction and short of being relegated Maloney will be here for his contract. That takes away any pressure about job being on the line and most players will realise they manager will be there longer than them so they have to toe the line. Maloney is trying to completely change the way we play and that will take time. Signs of progress are needed but we might need to sacrifice short term results for long term success.

Ridiculous how Glass has been treated imo but I would say the same about Heck and Ross too.

My post was in reference to a suggestion that Jack Ross’ first season shouldn’t be considered when considering how good a job he had done and neither should his last one. If that’s how it works then I trust we’ll not be judging Maloney for another 15 months.

Glass has been sacked too early imo, I agree with that.

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-02-2022, 06:54 PM
Only seen them v us, and from their results they've been very inconsistent but with a change in approach, what were they expecting exactly?

McInnes football was brutal, trying to change their style was going to take longer than 6 months. I suppose its why the likes of Jimmy Calderwood, Sam Allardyce etc continued to get jobs. Results in the short term are favoured over holding strong and sticking to you long term vision

We're seeing parallels with SM. Fans already want him out ffs.

The 90+2
13-02-2022, 07:14 PM
They've made the right decision. Glass was a weird appointment and from the outside was never going to work.

Goodwin to Aberdeen and Jack to St Mirren would be my guess.

Lago
13-02-2022, 07:24 PM
I’d be pleased for him.

Seems like a decent guy, don’t want him out of the game for long.
I think he'll be more interested in going south rather than north.

Dmas
13-02-2022, 07:24 PM
They've made the right decision. Glass was a weird appointment and from the outside was never going to work.

They decided to ditch the McInnes style and go for a more modern approach and gave the guy what 2 transfer windows and 1 pre season?

The quicker people realise it’s not a quick turnaround the better, this country is doomed to kick and run football if we don’t start learning a bit of patience

Lago
13-02-2022, 07:26 PM

Jack will see St. Mirren as a backwards step.

wookie70
13-02-2022, 07:31 PM
My post was in reference to a suggestion that Jack Ross’ first season shouldn’t be considered when considering how good a job he had done and neither should his last one. If that’s how it works then I trust we’ll not be judging Maloney for another 15 months.

Glass has been sacked too early imo, I agree with that.

Apologies,

I think managers should be judged on what they are trying to build as well as results. I never got the feeling Ross, Heck or Lennon were trying to build anything. I did with Stubbs and, although early, it is clear that is the case with Maloney. Lennon profited from the manager that built before him and sometimes I think we forget what a strong foundation Stubbs left. Hopefully, Maloney is here to finish the job but the important thing is that the mission of attractive football becomes embedded and future managers don't need to start from scratch. Ron needs to stand by Maloney and not hit the panic button. More results and performances like today should mean that Ron doesn't need to even think about it which is the best scenario all round.

The 90+2
13-02-2022, 07:36 PM
They decided to ditch the McInnes style and go for a more modern approach and gave the guy what 2 transfer windows and 1 pre season?

The quicker people realise it’s not a quick turnaround the better, this country is doomed to kick and run football if we don’t start learning a bit of patience

Yes, as he's taking them backwards and there's little sign of them improving playing wise either. Football fans aren't patient. Glass would have known this, Maloney will too.

If you are going to change the playing side style your probably better appointing a manager who's actually had success playing attractive, modern football instead of apprentices'. It's again why Maloney is a major gamble as he won't get time either if there is little indication there's improvement on the playing field.

The 90+2
13-02-2022, 07:38 PM

And it is. But he's lost his last two jobs. St Mirren gave him good foundations to work with before and I'm sure he would take the role on again and build on what he achieved there last time.

1van Sprou7e
13-02-2022, 07:39 PM

He's just been fired, a backwards step is the only way he gets back into management

Stubbsy90+2
13-02-2022, 07:40 PM
Apologies,

I think managers should be judged on what they are trying to build as well as results. I never got the feeling Ross, Heck or Lennon were trying to build anything. I did with Stubbs and, although early, it is clear that is the case with Maloney. Lennon profited from the manager that built before him and sometimes I think we forget what a strong foundation Stubbs left. Hopefully, Maloney is here to finish the job but the important thing is that the mission of attractive football becomes embedded and future managers don't need to start from scratch. Ron needs to stand by Maloney and not hit the panic button. More results and performances like today should mean that Ron doesn't need to even think about it which is the best scenario all round.

:agree:

Couldn’t agree with this more.

Hibbyradge
13-02-2022, 07:42 PM
Apologies,

Excellent stuff Wookie. I am in complete agreement.

I'm very optimistic about the players we're recruiting for the future and it's the first really clear sign that we planning for a longer term, sustainable strategy.

Also, there have been increasing signs that the first team is becoming more comfortable with Maloney's preferred style.

I really hope Maloney succeeds, and while there's nothing new in that because I've unsurprisingly wanted success for every manager, the things he speaks about are grabbing my imagination.

hibbydog
13-02-2022, 08:13 PM
Disgraceful decision

They got rid of Derek McInnes because 3rd in the league and boring football wasn’t good enough for them. Fair enough. But if you’re going to employ a new manager, especially an inexperienced one with new ideas, give him time ffs.

Mountains of evidence against sacking managers. They be all and end all that governs how well you do in the long term is budget. Changing managers might change things short term, but you’re always back in the same place with the same problems before long.

Expected better from Aberdeen to be honest

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2022, 08:27 PM
Disgraceful decision

They got rid of Derek McInnes because 3rd in the league and boring football wasn’t good enough for them. Fair enough. But if you’re going to employ a new manager, especially an inexperienced one with new ideas, give him time ffs.

Mountains of evidence against sacking managers. They be all and end all that governs how well you do in the long term is budget. Changing managers might change things short term, but you’re always back in the same place with the same problems before long.

Mcinnes finished 4th behind Hibs, Motherwell and Kilmarnock in his last 3 seasons. 3 sides with lower budgets. He was failing to take them forward.

Glass was just failing.

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-02-2022, 08:45 PM
Mcinnes finished 4th behind Hibs, Motherwell and Kilmarnock in his last 3 seasons. 3 sides with lower budgets. He was failing to take them forward.

Glass was just failing.

They're 4 points off 4th with a game in hand. Very tight league from 4th to 9th and all teams taking points off each other. Of course us and the sheep SHOULD be tanking the other teams but both going through a far bigger transformation than our counterparts

Of course there'll be bumps in the road, particularly in the first season but seems harsh

hibbydog
13-02-2022, 08:54 PM

Glass was just failing.

Fair enough. Can’t argue with that.

I just think there’s lots of arguments to say an incumbent manager is pants and should be sacked, but nobody has ever been able to say X or Y manager will do better because….

Lots of parallels with our current situation and a good bit of patience is needed.

Lago
13-02-2022, 08:56 PM
He's just been fired, a backwards step is the only way he gets back into management
Hecky was fired now managing Sheffield United and doing well.

The Spaceman
13-02-2022, 09:05 PM
Jack Ross a stick on to be next Aberdeen manager I reckon. Also think he’ll do a great job up there if it is him, which will be really painful to see.

The 90+2
13-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Jack Ross a stick on to be next Aberdeen manager I reckon. Also think he’ll do a great job up there if it is him, which will be really painful to see.

Just imagine the reaction if he adapts to attacking free flowing football :greengrin

04Sauzee
13-02-2022, 09:40 PM
Jack Ross 'keen' to take #Aberdeen job as former Hibs boss in line following Stephen Glass sacking | @ScottBurns75

https://t.co/tGXgxoAeyD https://t.co/ChEfX56o11

JamesHFC
13-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Hecky was fired now managing Sheffield United and doing well.

I think Hecky was unlucky, just way too many draws. Throwing that lead at home to Hearts cost him mostly.

Heisenberg
13-02-2022, 09:43 PM
Jack Ross 'keen' to take #Aberdeen job as former Hibs boss in line following Stephen Glass sacking | @ScottBurns75

Not a popular shout at all going by the responses.

JamesHFC
13-02-2022, 09:43 PM

No surprise, I think they will appoint him pretty quickly.

JamesHFC
13-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Not a popular shout at all going by the responses.

I thought a few of them would be against it but I haven’t seen a positive response yet 🤣

cannastar
13-02-2022, 11:04 PM
usual suspects quoted for sheep job mostly failed elswhere bar goodwin or have never managed. still surprised that martindale not quoted though perhaps loyalty to livi owners may prevent him throwing his hat into the ring. bigger club bigger budget might entice him. beat us twice this season ran rangers close once and drew twice with celtic and one win away from being joint fourth. as good as anybody has done thus far neilson apart. might not be everyones cup of tea but must be doing something right going by the league table. could do worse and got to question if some on the list really have their heart set on becoming the aberdeen manger or is just another payday as opposed to martindale or goodwin who you would expect harbour ambition to manage at a supposed bigger club.

Unseen work
13-02-2022, 11:13 PM
Cormack would be off his head to appoint Ross imo.

Aberdeen fans won’t take to a manager sacked by Hibs earlier in the season for the same reason Mcinness got sacked.

Dmas
14-02-2022, 05:35 AM
Yes, as he's taking them backwards and there's little sign of them improving playing wise either. Football fans aren't patient. Glass would have known this, Maloney will too.

If you are going to change the playing side style your probably better appointing a manager who's actually had success playing attractive, modern football instead of apprentices'. It's again why Maloney is a major gamble as he won't get time either if there is little indication there's improvement on the playing field.

aberdeen are 4 points off 4th place with a game in hand it’s not backwards is it.

When was the last time a team outside the Old Firm hired a manager that was on the back of success? every manager being hired up here is off the back of being sacked somewhere else, Mcinnes sacked at Bristol before aberdeen, Ross sacked at Sunderland for example, anyone playing successful modern football will be out of the reach of most teams in the league which is why we’re seeing rookie’s given a go, glass, Maloney,courts at Dundee Utd but if at boardroom level your going to shout from the roof tops that this is the route ur going down on appointing these guys they surely must be prepared for a season or so where it’s needing patience trust and some decent investment.

They sold hedges to a team chasing epl promotion, decent money bids for Ferguson decent money offered up for the young guy at RB from Bologna something must have been working

Yorkshire HFC
14-02-2022, 05:35 AM
Disgraceful decision

How many good owners of football clubs are there / have there been? It seems to me that the moment they take control, all sense leaves most of them.

It is a mad business.

Since90+2
14-02-2022, 06:00 AM
Aberdeen are currently 8 points from the playoff place and with their form you wouldn't be massively surprised to see them slip closer to that. Even the potential thought of relegation would be a nightmare for them, their wage bill is absolutely massive.

I understand the arguement for Glass needing time whilst at the same time can see why Cormack has acted how to try and avoid a potential disastrous scenario occuring.

Stubbsy90+2
14-02-2022, 07:10 AM
I think Hecky was unlucky, just way too many draws. Throwing that lead at home to Hearts cost him mostly.

I actually remember walking away from a lot of defeats under Hecky wondering how we got beat.

We often didn’t play all that badly. We were just soft as **** and didn’t take our chances.

worcesterhibby
14-02-2022, 07:11 AM
aberdeen are 4 points off 4th place with a game in hand it’s not backwards is it.

When was the last time a team outside the Old Firm hired a manager that was on the back of success?

actually Hibs have done it twice in recent years…Fenlon and Butcher

Pat Fenlon has just won the league and cup double in Ireland with Bohemians
Butcher had just taken Inverness from being a championship side to being a top 6 SPL side

just goes to prove that previous success means nothing anyway, especially if it’s at “a lower level”

flash
14-02-2022, 07:33 AM
On paper Aberdeen should comfortably be the 3rd best team in the country with the squad they have but something isn't right.
They have given both Glasgow teams their toughest games this season but consistently fail against lesser teams.
Be interesting to see what they do now.
Probably a safe pair of hands as its unusual for a club to make two left field appointments in a row.

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-02-2022, 08:04 AM
I have nothing against Stephen Glass and the Aberdeen fans, but when I heard the news I felt a sense of "serves you right" towards the Aberdeen Chairman who had this sketched out as the season that the Dons would break-away into their rightful place as the unchallenged best of the rest. No wonder Richard Gordon had such an appetite for picking faults with other clubs.

Since452
14-02-2022, 09:11 AM
On paper Aberdeen should comfortably be the 3rd best team in the country with the squad they have but something isn't right.
They have given both Glasgow teams their toughest games this season but consistently fail against lesser teams.
Probably a safe pair of hands as its unusual for a club to make two left field appointments in a row.

I actually don't think their squad is that good. Not any better than Hibs or Hearts. The likes of Bates and McCrorie are vastly overrated. Taken them backwards. I think only Ferguson and at a push Ramirez would improve us.

Lago
14-02-2022, 10:16 AM
No surprise, I think they will appoint him pretty quickly.
Maybe wrong but I just can’t see it, if you look at his time at Sunderland it's a mirror image of his time at Hibs.

LeithMike
14-02-2022, 10:18 AM
actually Hibs have done it twice in recent years…Fenlon and Butcher

Pat Fenlon has just won the league and cup double in Ireland with Bohemians
Butcher had just taken Inverness from being a championship side to being a top 6 SPL side

just goes to prove that previous success means nothing anyway, especially if it’s at “a lower level”Disagree with this. Previous success does not guarantee future success but it is a strong indicator. To identify a good manager and not a flash in the pan you want to see a trend of improving teams.

You look at Alex Ferguson and there is no doubt that he would have been sacked early on by Manchester United had he not had a track record for improving teams and his really successful stint at Aberdeen. It rightly bought him some time as he had proven he could turn around teams and get them overachieving.

With Butcher he had mixed fortunes - terrible some places, very good elsewhere. I have to confess, I was pleased with his appointment. Not so familiar with Fenlon so can't comment on his track record in Ireland as to whether he had achieved something out of the ordinary at Bohemians - he came to Hibs at a time when we were very poorly run.

With our most recent appointments - Heckingbottom and Ross - I don't think they really had any track record. Ross had a good season with St Mirren in the Championship but not much else. Heckingbottom seemed to be an in vogue type manager at the time but again without a sustained track record.

If I'm in Aberdeen's position, I would be a bit worried. Jim Goodwin has showed a bit of promise but not much beyond that. He's certainly not had St Mirrren overachieving for a sustained period. Ross has shown a bit with St Mirren and Hibs bit also went through really poor periods with Hibs and Sunderland. I'd be looking outwith those two.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Since452
14-02-2022, 10:21 AM
I actually remember walking away from a lot of defeats under Hecky wondering how we got beat.

We often didn’t play all that badly. We were just soft as **** and didn’t take our chances.

One at Pittodrie springs to mind. Sure we drew but we absolutley destroyed them. Felt like a defeat.

Since452
14-02-2022, 10:23 AM
Disgraceful decision

The Aberdeen fans seem pretty happy about it. I'm really hoping they don't get Jack Ross. Will improve them.

Jones28
14-02-2022, 10:26 AM
I actually don't think their squad is that good. Not any better than Hibs or Hearts. The likes of Bates and McCrorie are vastly overrated. Taken them backwards. I think only Ferguson and at a push Ramirez would improve us.

Yep, I'd agree with that, though I think McCrorie would add to us as well I wouldn't take any more of their players.

Jones28
14-02-2022, 10:27 AM
One at Pittodrie springs to mind. Sure we drew but we absolutley destroyed them. Felt like a defeat.

Didn't Doidge miss 5 or 6 decent chances and they scored half way through the second half or something?

There was another game up their under Lennon where McLaren missed a penalty.

bigwheel
14-02-2022, 10:29 AM
Disagree with this. Previous success does not guarantee future success but it is a strong indicator. To identify a good manager and not a flash in the pan you want to see a trend of improving teams.

You look at Alex Ferguson and there is no doubt that he would have been sacked early on by Manchester United had he not had a track record for improving teams and his really successful stint at Aberdeen. It rightly bought him some time as he had proven he could turn around teams and get them overachieving.

With Butcher he had mixed fortunes - terrible some places, very good elsewhere. I have to confess, I was pleased with his appointment. Not so familiar with Fenlon so can't comment on his track record in Ireland as to whether he had achieved something out of the ordinary at Bohemians - he came to Hibs at a time when we were very poorly run.

With our most recent appointments - Heckingbottom and Ross - I don't think they really had any track record. Ross had a good season with St Mirren in the Championship but not much else. Heckingbottom seemed to be an in vogue type manager at the time but again without a sustained track record.

If I'm in Aberdeen's position, I would be a bit worried. Jim Goodwin has showed a bit of promise but not much beyond that. He's certainly not had St Mirrren overachieving for a sustained period. Ross has shown a bit with St Mirren and Hibs bit also went through really poor periods with Hibs and Sunderland. I'd be looking outwith those two.

Think you are understating JRs track record before he joined us. He had good signs already in his record before he got to our club .

He led Alloa to good success before departing . He won 10 games in a row with them, they were comfortably second in the league when St Mirren headhunter him . After a poor start with St Mirren he was outstanding with them . winning the championship, against some good sides, he was manager of the year that season . Even before he won the championship, he had a great run in his first season with them.

With Sunderland , shown to be a complex club. He got them to Wembley twice , losing narrowly out in the play offs to Charlton. he was one game away from having a great outcome there..they were sixth when they punted him .with lots of the season remaining .

With us , 3rd spot , Europe , five semi finals (iirc), two finals ..other than the appalling run of results that led to his departure his record was positive in almost every factor .

There was a lot about his managerial record to be positive about before he came to us .

Since452
14-02-2022, 10:37 AM
Didn't Doidge miss 5 or 6 decent chances and they scored half way through the second half or something?

There was another game up their under Lennon where McLaren missed a penalty.

That's the one. Could have been a cricket score.

Since452
14-02-2022, 10:42 AM
Think you are understating JRs track record before he joined us. He had good signs already in his record before he got to our club .

He led Alloa to good success before departing . He won 10 games in a row with them, they were comfortably second in the league when St Mirren headhunter him . After a poor start with St Mirren he was outstanding with them . winning the championship, against some good sides, he was manager of the year that season . Even before he won the championship, he had a great run in his first season with them.

With Sunderland , shown to be a complex club. He got them to Wembley twice , losing narrowly out in the play offs to Charlton. he was one game away from having a great outcome there..they were sixth when they punted him .with lots of the season remaining .

With us , 3rd spot , Europe , five semi finals (iirc), two finals ..other than the appalling run of results that led to his departure his record was positive in almost every factor .

There was a lot about his managerial record to be positive about before he came to us .

I remember we played St Mirren at Easter Road when he was their manager. Think it was the last game of the season. They were excellent. So were we many times last season. Were we not the 3rd highest scorers in the league last season? I think Ross is a very good manager. Yes there were the cup semis and final last season but there was also the semi this season. If he goes to another club i hope it's down south and not a direct rival. He'll be motivated to put one over us.

Key West
14-02-2022, 10:58 AM
Stephen Glass sacking another example of clubs being unrealistic about what they can achieve in a short space of time.

LeithMike
14-02-2022, 11:18 AM

There was a lot about his managerial record to be positive about before he came to us .Good come back. I just didn't see anything exceptional with Ross. His record, for instance, does not compare with McInnes.

I guess he can prove the doubters wrong with his next job but, if I'm an Aberdeen fan, I wouldn't see it as a step in the right direction.

Jones28
14-02-2022, 11:27 AM
I have nothing against Stephen Glass and the Aberdeen fans, but when I heard the news I felt a sense of "serves you right" towards the Aberdeen Chairman who had this sketched out as the season that the Dons would break-away into their rightful place as the unchallenged best of the rest. No wonder Richard Gordon had such an appetite for picking faults with other clubs.

Nothing against Glass whatsoever, scored possibly one of the best goals I've seen in the flesh against Aberdeen (turn and swivel, volley, absolute peach of a goal).

The Aberdeen fans however, are some of the most deluded fannies that follow scottish football. They were good 40 years ago and have delusions of grandeur rivalled only by Hearts fans during the Romanov years. They are now well and truly on par with us and Hearts, but the difference is they are still playing in a crumbling stadium, with a £50m plus investment to finance over the next however many years. Thats a massive hole in the budget and should see them regress further.

I really would love for them to at least flirt relegation this season and have a couple of really mediocre seasons to follow. :na na:

worcesterhibby
14-02-2022, 11:31 AM
Not so familiar with Fenlon so can't comment on his track record in Ireland as to whether he had achieved something out of the ordinary at Bohemians - he came to Hibs at a time when we were very poorly run.

I'll educate you about Fenlon:

2002, 2003, 2004 Fenlon led Shelbourne as Player Manager to 2nd place in the league then as Manager to two consecutive league titles. They made the 4th qualify round of the Champions league beating Rejiavic and Hadjuk Split. After a 4tjh place finish in 2005 they again won the league, making it 3 league titles in 4 years. In 2007 he went to Bohemians and won the League and cup double in 2008, they won the league by a record margin. They won the league again in 2009 and also their equivalent of the League cup..making it two league and cup doubles in two years.

Pat was a serial winner as a manager with two different teams. At the time I thought It was a brilliant appointment, He was a man who was used to winning and knew how to win leagues and cups consistently over a 7 year period.

I'm not for a second suggesting that we shouldn't consider appointing managers with a good track record and plenty of experience, I'm just pointing out that Pat Fenlon is a brilliant example of a guy who came from huge amounts of success in another league but failed to reach those heights with us. While Butcher was an appointment that the majority of Hibs fans were delighted about, who had proven success on lesser resources in our own league.

So in recent years Hibs have tried:

Experienced SPL managers - Jack Ross, Neil Lennon, Terry Butcher

Experienced and successful manager from outside of Scotland - Pat Fenlon, Heckinbottom

Rookie Managers - Tony Mowbray, John Collins, Alan Stubbs, Shaun Maloney

To be honest from that list I would suggest the Rookies have done the best. So experience and past success is no guarantee of future success.

Alex Trager
14-02-2022, 11:56 AM

We turned the huns over scoring three goals in the first half and run celtic very close in the subsequent final?

Stubbsy90+2
14-02-2022, 12:18 PM
I'll educate you about Fenlon:

2002, 2003, 2004 Fenlon led Shelbourne as Player Manager to 2nd place in the league then as Manager to two consecutive league titles. They made the 4th qualify round of the Champions league beating Rejiavic and Hadjuk Split. After a 4tjh place finish in 2005 they again won the league, making it 3 league titles in 4 years. In 2007 he went to Bohemians and won the League and cup double in 2008, they won the league by a record margin. They won the league again in 2009 and also their equivalent of the League cup..making it two league and cup doubles in two years.

Pat was a serial winner as a manager with two different teams. At the time I thought It was a brilliant appointment, He was a man who was used to winning and knew how to win leagues and cups consistently over a 7 year period.

I'm not for a second suggesting that we shouldn't consider appointing managers with a good track record and plenty of experience, I'm just pointing out that Pat Fenlon is a brilliant example of a guy who came from huge amounts of success in another league but failed to reach those heights with us. While Butcher was an appointment that the majority of Hibs fans were delighted about, who had proven success on lesser resources in our own league.

So in recent years Hibs have tried:

Experienced SPL managers - Jack Ross, Neil Lennon, Terry Butcher

Experienced and successful manager from outside of Scotland - Pat Fenlon, Heckinbottom

Rookie Managers - Tony Mowbray, John Collins, Alan Stubbs, Shaun Maloney

To be honest from that list I would suggest the Rookies have done the best. So experience and past success is no guarantee of future success.

Rookie managers have almost undoubtedly been my favourite managers and also given us some of our best sides/moments.

I really get fed up of seeing the same guys get the same jobs all the time. I’m glad we’ve went outside the box with Maloney. It might not end up working out, but then loads of experienced managers haven’t either. It might end up being a master stroke though, something that you’ve less chance of with an experienced guy.

Spudster
14-02-2022, 01:20 PM

That game was a real kick in the gut. 1-1 against 9 men :sick:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49861444

Allant1981
14-02-2022, 02:05 PM

Should they? What players would you take from them that would instantly improve us?

Since90+2
14-02-2022, 02:12 PM
Should they? What players would you take from them that would instantly improve us?

Ramirez
Ferguson
Considine
McGeough
Watkins
Ramsay
Hayes

I think would all improve our first team / squad to one degree or another. Then you have guys like Brown, Declan Gallagher, Matty Kennedy, Joe Lewis, Ross McCrorie ect who you could put a good case for atleast being more than decent squad players.

Looking at it subjectively, how many of our players would instantly and be guaranteed to improve Aberdeen? I think they have a pretty strong squad.

Stevie Reid
14-02-2022, 02:35 PM
Not really surprising that Glass has gone. After two wins and two draws in their first four, they’ve won 6 and lost 12 of their last 21 league games.

We talk about the opportunity that we had to win the Scottish Cup last year - Aberdeen had a pretty poor United side at home in the quarter final under Glass and lost 3-0. Knocked out of the league cup by Raith Rovers this season as well.

He was in charge for 42 games and lost 48% of them. Eleven months in charge isn’t a lot obviously, but they were going backwards.

flash
14-02-2022, 02:50 PM
We turned the huns over scoring three goals in the first half and run celtic very close in the subsequent final?

In the league I should have said.

Allant1981
14-02-2022, 03:01 PM
[QOTE=Since90+2;6859234]Ramirez
Ferguson
Considine
McGeough
Watkins
Ramsay
Hayes

I think would all improve our first team / squad to one degree or another. Then you have guys like Brown, Declan Gallagher, Matty Kennedy, Joe Lewis, Ross McCrorie ect who you could put a good case for atleast being more than decent squad players.

Looking at it subjectively, how many of our players would instantly and be guaranteed to improve Aberdeen? I think they have a pretty strong squad.[/QUOTE]

Ferguson and possibly ramsay although all he has done so far has shown potential, the rest not a chance sorry, mcgeouch 5 years ago yes, hayes 4 years ago, watkins has scored about 50 goals in his whole professional career, considine is no where near as good as hanlon or porteous

Our CHs would improve them, newell would improve them, doidge when fit would improve them, nisbet when on form(not just now) would improve them. Mueller would be a good addition for them

Stokesy's on fire
14-02-2022, 03:49 PM

Looking at their squad I think they are placed where they should be they are rank. That Motherwell team that beat them is miles better than them in fact I hope we go in for Van Veen in the next window.

Since452
14-02-2022, 04:39 PM
Nothing against Glass whatsoever, scored possibly one of the best goals I've seen in the flesh against Aberdeen (turn and swivel, volley, absolute peach of a goal).

The Aberdeen fans however, are some of the most deluded fannies that follow scottish football. They were good 40 years ago and have delusions of grandeur rivalled only by Hearts fans during the Romanov years. They are now well and truly on par with us and Hearts, but the difference is they are still playing in a crumbling stadium, with a £50m plus investment to finance over the next however many years. Thats a massive hole in the budget and should see them regress further.

I really would love for them to at least flirt relegation this season and have a couple of really mediocre seasons to follow. :na na:

Agreed. No time for Aberdeen or their fans in general. Delusion rivals that of Hearts. For anyone who was too young for their golden era in the mid 80's they are just another Motherwell. ***** support ***** accents. Couple of relegations avoided on technicalities too. To sum it up I'm not a fan 😉

loanheadhibby
14-02-2022, 09:58 PM
Hardly a stick on and I can't see the Dons fans getting over excited if JR heads north.

jacomo
14-02-2022, 10:36 PM

Aberdeen’s stadium saga risks becoming a bigger farce than Hearts, and that’s a place no football club wants to be.

Still a chance they’ll get it finished first though.

Iain G
14-02-2022, 10:48 PM
Hardly a stick on and I can't see the Dons fans getting over excited if JR heads north.

JR knows where the oil is though 😁