PDA

View Full Version : Hibs Players and NFTS

hibee1875
12-02-2022, 01:57 PM
There’s been a few Hibs players recently, Nisbet and Dabrowski to name a couple promoting I’m assuming their pals NFTs on social media, encouraging folk to buy them.

Does this not go against their social responsibility as ambassadors of the club?

First and foremost, the carbon footprint NFTs and cryptos leave behind is ridiculously heavy. Aside from that, it’s the most bizarre concept that’s been created in recent times and seems like nothing more than a Ponzi scheme.

Is it a case of players can do what they want in their own time on their own social media, or should the club be making sure they are fully educated on what they’re promoting?

Having written this, I’ve just remembered one of our shirt sponsors is an nft marketplace 🙈

Carheenlea
12-02-2022, 03:21 PM
Have not got the remotest clue what any of this post is about..

Paul1642
12-02-2022, 03:22 PM

I’m glad I’m not alone. Was very confused.

wookie70
12-02-2022, 03:27 PM
I've not seen the post but agree about them being a Ponzi scheme and I certainly wouldn't want players advertising them. Not illegal or distasteful though so not sure what the club could do

danhibees1875
12-02-2022, 03:36 PM
Given the club promote NFTs I'm not sure there's much they would want to do about that.

I don't know everything about them (NFTs), but I'm not sure they deserve some of the criticism they receive though.

SlickShoes
12-02-2022, 03:48 PM
I assumed Nisbet had been hacked on instagram as his profile had been deactivated for ages but only seems to have come back online to try and sell NFTs

hibee1875
12-02-2022, 03:50 PM

They’re trying to punt cartoon pictures of apes for thousands of pounds

The Spaceman
12-02-2022, 03:52 PM
If you’re taking NFT or any sort of investment advice from Kevin Nisbet, then you need your head tested 😂

MWHIBBIES
12-02-2022, 05:21 PM
If you’re taking NFT or any sort of investment advice from Kevin Nisbet, then you need your head tested 😂

Yep. Anyone falling for this NFT rubbish has only themself to blame. Its so obviously pointless rubbish. Just ignore/block these accounts spamming it.

A Hi-Bee
12-02-2022, 05:25 PM
FFS, I thought this was about some new drug, but good to see we even have experts on financial investment as well.:thumbsup:

Mick O'Rourke
12-02-2022, 06:47 PM
They’re trying to punt cartoon pictures of apes for thousands of pounds

Who wants pictures of sevco fans?

Not In The Know
12-02-2022, 07:05 PM
There’s been a few Hibs players recently, Nisbet and Dabrowski to name a couple promoting I’m assuming their pals NFTs on social media, encouraging folk to buy them.

Does this not go against their social responsibility as ambassadors of the club?

First and foremost, the carbon footprint NFTs and cryptos leave behind is ridiculously heavy. Aside from that, it’s the most bizarre concept that’s been created in recent times and seems like nothing more than a Ponzi scheme.

Is it a case of players can do what they want in their own time on their own social media, or should the club be making sure they are fully educated on what they’re promoting?

Having written this, I’ve just remembered one of our shirt sponsors is an nft marketplace 🙈

who cares. If we are going to rip Nesbit do it for his ***** runs in the box.

Keith_M
12-02-2022, 07:15 PM

NFTS = Nisbet Failed To Score

:greengrin

CallumHibs07
12-02-2022, 07:16 PM
If you don't like it, don't buy. Plenty of good NFT projects anyway, no need to dismiss it all as a ponzi just because you're missing out.

SaulGoodman
12-02-2022, 07:22 PM
If you don't like it, don't buy. Plenty of good NFT projects anyway, no need to dismiss it all as a ponzi just because you're missing out.

🤣🤣

I’m not missing out on anything, thanks.

Stubbsy90+2
12-02-2022, 07:25 PM

Yup. People have made millions off of NFTs. People will have made millions out of Marathon Bet. It’s really not any different.

I don’t understand the whole thing but there’s clearly money to be made.
If you don’t understand it, don’t invest, if you do then decide whether it’s worth you investing or not.

HFC93
13-02-2022, 07:49 AM

We've got a live one.

MWHIBBIES
13-02-2022, 07:53 AM

What is a good NFT project?

What would someone be missing out on? Owning a picture?

The Spaceman
13-02-2022, 07:58 AM

The plenty of scam NFT projects significantly outnumbers the plenty of good, unfortunately. It is also supporting the most incredibly dystopian future imaginable.

Eyrie
13-02-2022, 08:49 AM
What is a good NFT project?

What would someone be missing out on? Owning a picture?

From what I can work out you don't even own the picture, just a digital image of it.

The only thing you can miss out on is being part of the Ponzi scam.

Keith_M
13-02-2022, 09:50 AM
From what I can work out you don't even own the picture, just a digital image of it.

It's basically a scheme where buy a certificate to say you own The Emperor's New Clothes. Just try to keep in mind that all you actually 'own' is a certificate

As long as somebody else is willing to buy the certificate off you, then you're fine. If there's no longer a market for buying 'ownership certificates', presumably because they've moved on the next fad, then you're humped..

ScottB
13-02-2022, 09:52 AM

You own a link, that’s it. That link may, or may not, point to an image. Which you don’t own.

steve75
13-02-2022, 11:18 AM
NFTs are just a decentralised immutable record of something. May one day be used for things like tickets, purchase records or even medical records.

Currently it seems to be a record of jpeg ownership... Personally don't get it, but I don't buy into collectables (physical or digital).

One just sold for $23m so there's something in it...

WhileTheChief..
13-02-2022, 11:28 AM
If it's financial, and you don't understand it, just label it a Ponzi scheme. That clears everything up.

Cropley10
13-02-2022, 11:58 AM

Missing out? Oh do go on & perhaps elaborate on what a good project is…

HibsGW
13-02-2022, 12:06 PM
In the most simple way possible it’s a digital receipt, you own the digital receipt for that item, whether its a jpeg or whatever else. The digital receipt is only worth anything if people decide its worth something, I can’t really understand why you’d want the digital receipt when you can usually get the actual item free though (for example, saving a jpeg nft picture)

SChibs
13-02-2022, 12:09 PM
In the most simple way possible it’s a digital receipt, you own the digital receipt for that item, whether its a jpeg or whatever else. The digital receipt is only worth anything if people decide its worth something, I can’t really understand why you’d want the digital receipt when you can usually get the actual item free though (for example, saving a jpeg nft picture)

That's a bit like saying there's no point in owning an expensive piece of art because you could just print out poster of the art?

13-02-2022, 12:12 PM
If it's financial, and you don't understand it, just label it a Ponzi scheme. That clears everything up.

It’s probably more of a pump-and-dump scam to be honest. Crypto in general is abhorrent.

HibsGW
13-02-2022, 12:16 PM
That's a bit like saying there's no point in owning an expensive piece of art because you could just print out poster of the art?

The difference there though is you actually own the physical original piece of art not just a receipt

TAHibby
13-02-2022, 12:20 PM
If anyone has any doubts about whether NFTs are something you should be throwing your money into

https://youtu.be/YQ_xWvX1n9g

CallumHibs07
13-02-2022, 12:27 PM
Missing out? Oh do go on & perhaps elaborate on what a good project is…

Projects that capture the attention of communities, and that deliver value to its holders. Projects like Cryptopunks and Bored Apes have done this, even the cheapest ones are now worth 6 figures and have multinational companies and celebrities holding them. As with anything, the market will decide which NFT projects have value. Most will go to 0, some will go very high. Its no different to people paying big money for physical collectibles/sports cards etc. But people that don't understand will just scream "crypto bad". That's fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

ScottB
13-02-2022, 01:04 PM

Except there’s an appreciable difference between an original, on canvas painting, and a print.

There’s no difference between jpegs, whether one sold for stupid money or one was just saved as a copy.

HibsGW
13-02-2022, 01:05 PM
Except there’s an appreciable difference between an original, on canvas painting, and a print.

There’s no difference between jpegs, whether one sold for stupid money or one was just saved as a copy.

Exactly.

mayo hibee
13-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Projects that capture the attention of communities, and that deliver value to its holders. Projects like Cryptopunks and Bored Apes have done this, even the cheapest ones are now worth 6 figures and have multinational companies and celebrities holding them. As with anything, the market will decide which NFT projects have value. Most will go to 0, some will go very high. Its no different to people paying big money for physical collectibles/sports cards etc. But people that don't understand will just scream "crypto bad". That's fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Ponzi schemes often deliver value to some of their holders, but only at the expense of some of their subsequent holders. Eventually some mug always ends up having to carry the can while someone else gets rich. Introducing seemingly positive words like "communities" doesn't change NFTs into anything other than the complete scams that they are.

13-02-2022, 01:14 PM

Can you explain how NFTs are providing value to their holders?

The only advantage I can see to crypto in general is that it’s a useful demonstration to libertarians about why banking regulations exist.

-Jonesy-
13-02-2022, 01:16 PM
You can put a picture of the Mona Lisa on your living room wall, doesn’t mean it’s worth anything though.

If you can’t understand this simple analogy then you’ll never understand NFTs

mayo hibee
13-02-2022, 01:23 PM
Can you explain how NFTs are providing value to their holders?

The only advantage I can see to crypto in general is that it’s a useful demonstration to libertarians about why banking regulations exist.

They provide value when they're sold for a profit. The value of course comes at the expense of whatever poor unfortunate is left holding the certificate for Bored Ape #7488 when its value inevitably diminishes to zero down the line.

ScottB
13-02-2022, 01:23 PM
The short version of this is that it’s an effort by a small group of very rich people to try and turn everything into a stock market, everything into a commodity that can be speculated on, pumped, then dumped, while inflating their existing crypto holdings of course.

The real stupid prices were largely from people trading them amongst themselves, or even one person with multiple accounts, to create the illusion. It’s riddled with scams. As a ‘technology’ they are ludicrously inefficient and can’t be used for anything the diehards claim they can or will be.

As with mainline crypto, if you want to take a punt and maybe come out ahead, fair enough I guess, but their only real purpose is that; hoping there’s someone out there who’ll pay more than you.

Cropley10
13-02-2022, 01:41 PM

Now I understand that celebrities are holding cartoons of apes I’ll definitely be investing. What could go wrong.

Cropley10
13-02-2022, 01:43 PM
The short version of this is that it’s an effort by a small group of very rich people to try and turn everything into a stock market, everything into a commodity that can be speculated on, pumped, then dumped, while inflating their existing crypto holdings of course.

The real stupid prices were largely from people trading them amongst themselves, or even one person with multiple accounts, to create the illusion. It’s riddled with scams. As a ‘technology’ they are ludicrously inefficient and can’t be used for anything the diehards claim they can or will be.

As with mainline crypto, if you want to take a punt and maybe come out ahead, fair enough I guess, but their only real purpose is that; hoping there’s someone out there who’ll pay more than you.

Well summarised.

Torto7
13-02-2022, 02:25 PM

Bang on. Just another way to get mugs money.

Eyrie
13-02-2022, 06:44 PM

Sounds very much like a Ponzi scam then.

Once the supply of mugs runs out, you're left with nothing of value that cost you a fortune.

Bostonhibby
13-02-2022, 07:19 PM
Who wants pictures of sevco fans?What are they wearing?

Just asking for a friend who hopes this might somehow involve wee Wullie Blue Nose[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
14-02-2022, 12:26 AM
just too murky for me i'm afraid :greengrin

HMRC seizes NFT for first time in £1.4m fraud case - BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60369879)

The UK tax authority has seized three Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT) as part of a probe into a suspected a VAT fraud involving 250 alleged fake companies.

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) said three people had been arrested on suspicion of attempting to defraud it of £1.4m.

The authority said it was the first UK law enforcement to seize an NFT.

JamesHFC
14-02-2022, 12:45 AM
Sounds pish.

MKHIBEE
15-03-2022, 11:53 AM
Copied from The Athletic, maybe Roman put millions into the JT tokens.

Premier League finds NFT partner
The Premier League has decided on a company called ConsenSys for an official NFT partnership and is also considering Dapper Labs, a firm that works with the NBA, The Athletic can reveal.
NFTs (non-fungible tokens) are a form of digital asset (https://theathletic.com/2634415/2021/06/07/nfts-the-future-of-football-or-a-massive-con/) based on blockchain technology, which underpins cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin and Ethereum. Many other top football leagues have NFT partnerships but the Premier League has so far stayed clear.
To advocates, they are the latest iteration of sports collectables, like trading cards and clothing. To detractors, they are a vehicle for financial speculation, sometimes changing hands for huge sums of money and potentially exposing fans to risk and losses as early investors make a quick buck.
The Financial Times has reported that the NFT market has declined almost 50 per cent from its peak, sparking fears the industry is a hype-fuelled bubble rather than creating anything of tangible value.
Last week, The Athletic revealed that John Terry’s NFT collection has declined 90 per cent since launch (https://theathletic.com/news/john-terrys-nft-collection-plunges-90-in-value/O0qBVJcqpDit/), exposing fans to huge losses. The Premier League’s deal is likely to be far more sophisticated than this but risks still remain.

ScottB
15-03-2022, 04:08 PM
Shockingly they’ve cratered now all the Russian Twitter bots are busy with something else…