PDA

View Full Version : European Football

JamesHFC
11-02-2022, 09:56 AM
Confirmed for now that Scottish Cup winners will enter the Europa League play off, guaranteeing group stages of the Conference League next season. If Celtic or Rangers were to win it then it would go to 3rd place.

Third place looks a tough ask but a positive from it is that fifth place could potentially get a European spot.

Sunday’s game is huge in regards of where we want to be next season.

https://bit.ly/3LqucjE

Fergus52
11-02-2022, 10:14 AM
Need to win the cup and stop hearts getting automatic European groups.

Tommy75
11-02-2022, 10:23 AM
Blew any chance of third with our poor January recruitment. Never mind, we have a cracking B team and look forward to 2024/25 when it will all come together.

Pagan Hibernia
11-02-2022, 10:27 AM
Well that’s just great. European group stage football falls into the lap of Neilson and his mediocre hearts team courtesy of everyone else being crap.

Paul1642
11-02-2022, 10:31 AM
Blew any chance of third with our poor January recruitment. Never mind, we have a cracking B team and look forward to 2024/25 when it will all come together.

Our recruitment was fine and our team are fine. Our tactics are the problem.

Key West
11-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Financially it is important but we're not ready to make any progress in Europe, neither are the best of the rest in my humble opinion.

Pagan Hibernia
11-02-2022, 10:42 AM
Imagine the fume over the road if we were to deny them that place by winning the cup!

FitbaFolkKen
11-02-2022, 10:48 AM

Why can’t folk appreciate that they are two different parts of the club structure? There will be individual budgets for each area, the same way there are for marketing, stadium maintenance etc….

Just because the first team isn’t doing as well as we would like doesn’t mean we should ignore all other facets of the football club. I think it’s pretty exciting to see the foundations being put in place for longer term success, while simultaneously not being particularly enthused with the first team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fergus52
11-02-2022, 10:51 AM
Financially it is important but we're not ready to make any progress in Europe, neither are the best of the rest in my humble opinion.

The conference league groups weren't an incredibly high standard outside of the top seeded teams this season. Qualifying to the knockout round would be unlikely but aside from the finances playing in those groups would be a great experience for us Hearts or Aberdeen: would almost definitely pick up at least a few points and the chance to play sides like Tottenham and Roma home and away.

There would be some great nights under the lights at Easter road, whether we were ready to "make any progress" or not. Whoever gets that spot will benefit more than just financially, nonsense to suggest otherwise.

munchar
11-02-2022, 10:53 AM
Why can’t folk appreciate that they are two different parts of the club structure? There will be individual budgets for each area, the same way there are for marketing, stadium maintenance etc….

Just because the first team isn’t doing as well as we would like doesn’t mean we should ignore all other facets of the football club. I think it’s pretty exciting to see the foundations being put in place for longer term success, while simultaneously not being particularly enthused with the first team.

100% agreed. 👏
1st team is obviously our main concern, but looks like the building blocks are being put in place to make the club really competitive going forward. I’m very excited with this, & also expect a big summer window with top players coming in. If it means treading water this season, so be it, but still hopeful we can have a cup run & fight for 4th place.

FitbaFolkKen
11-02-2022, 02:36 PM
100% agreed. [emoji122]
1st team is obviously our main concern, but looks like the building blocks are being put in place to make the club really competitive going forward. I’m very excited with this, & also expect a big summer window with top players coming in. If it means treading water this season, so be it, but still hopeful we can have a cup run & fight for 4th place.

4th would be grand, can hope for that lot to fall apart though.

LunasBoots
11-02-2022, 02:44 PM
Not really bothered about European football,I find once we're out we often then struggle more over the season, too many games with a small squad.

danhibees1875
11-02-2022, 03:00 PM
Not really bothered about European football,I find once we're out we often then struggle more over the season, too many games with a small squad.

Yes, we should avoid European football so we can focus on our domestic game in the pursuit of European football... :greengrin

Regular European football and the money that can bring is the key to taking us to the next level. Hearts getting a foot in there first isn't what we want.

davhibby
11-02-2022, 04:35 PM

If we played in the group stage of the conference we’d be looking at making upwards for £3 million, which would help us to not have a small squad. To be honest if you aren’t bothered about European football I’m not totally sure what you gain from watching Hibs play 38 league games a season as surely they all have basically no meaning if you aren’t interested in the only thing we’re ever aiming for via league position

CB_NO3
11-02-2022, 05:05 PM

We have signed about 6 players unproven at this level. They might come good but far from it just now. The recruitment was poor.

bringbackbenny
11-02-2022, 05:09 PM
Yes, we should avoid European football so we can focus on our domestic game in the pursuit of European football... :greengrin

Regular European football and the money that can bring is the key to taking us to the next level. Hearts getting a foot in there first isn't what we want.

Spot on, 3rd is as good as gone. Winning the cup is the priority.

A Hi-Bee
11-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Well that’s just great. European group stage football falls into the lap of Neilson and his mediocre hearts team courtesy of everyone else being crap.

Nothing new, we have been ****ing things up for as long as I have been watching, we dont just make it hard for ourselves, we hand the tramps even more..

Tommy75
11-02-2022, 06:30 PM

I'm aware the club has different areas each with their own budget. I'm not suggesting we ignore other areas of the club (stadium maintenance, community work etc) but I'd argue that the only thing 99.9% of fans care about is how the first team are doing. Fans don't buy season tickets because we ran a good marketing campaign. I never heard anyone leave Easter Road after defeats to St Mirren and Livingston say 'aw well we got beat but the match day experience was good because we have nice screens and alternative food options'. A good team gets fans through the gate on, nothing else.

We are more or less writing off another season in January/February with the comfort blanket that we are building something for the future.

Tommy75
11-02-2022, 06:33 PM

Really? What players did we sign that were better than the ones we already had?

Waxy
11-02-2022, 06:50 PM
We’ve never been in the right place at the right time.
Luck is now on our side.

Itsnoteasy
11-02-2022, 07:12 PM
If we played in the group stage of the conference we’d be looking at making upwards for £3 million, which would help us to not have a small squad. To be honest if you aren’t bothered about European football I’m not totally sure what you gain from watching Hibs play 38 league games a season as surely they all have basically no meaning if you aren’t interested in the only thing we’re ever aiming for via league position

What about fans before European football did they have no meaning.

FitbaFolkKen
12-02-2022, 12:08 AM
I'm aware the club has different areas each with their own budget. I'm not suggesting we ignore other areas of the club (stadium maintenance, community work etc) but I'd argue that the only thing 99.9% of fans care about is how the first team are doing. Fans don't buy season tickets because we ran a good marketing campaign. I never heard anyone leave Easter Road after defeats to St Mirren and Livingston say 'aw well we got beat but the match day experience was good because we have nice screens and alternative food options'. A good team gets fans through the gate on, nothing else.

We are more or less writing off another season in January/February with the comfort blanket that we are building something for the future.

I wasn’t suggesting you were, my point was more that some folk think that the younger players coming in are detracting from the first team budget, whereas I would presume that the money was earmarked for that anyway.

With all the other enhancements in place and a winning team the match day experience will be excellent. Fans have higher expectations now than ever, there have been threads on here moaning, rightly so, about the quality of food, toilets, painting of steps, litter, club shop stock etc…

I would also argue that good facilities bring additional fans, from personal experience I’m more likely to bring the kids along to a well maintained stadium with decent food options. The hardcore will always come along because that’s what they do.

If we were writing off the season we wouldn’t have changed the manager. Put yourself in shoes of Maloney, a manager gets roughly about 2 years at a club, he has to produce. It’s also his first management role. Can you imagine the impact on his career if this goes horribly wrong. It’s just not good enough at the moment and that is up to him to fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1875godsgift
12-02-2022, 12:34 AM
What about fans before European football did they have no meaning.

They had lots of meaning, but they just didn't have European football.

adam middlemass
12-02-2022, 05:31 AM

Great post- food for thought.