PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (The Rangers 09 02 2022)

Jonnyboy
09-02-2022, 10:14 PM
Four changes to the starting eleven with Dabrowski, Mueller, Doidge and Campbell dropping out at the expense of Macey, McGinn, Doig and Henderson meant an ultra-defensive line up, what with three of the eleven being left backs. I was puzzled as to how we’d line up, but things became clearer when it was established that Lewis Stevenson was given a midfield berth.

Like many, I had hoped we’d take the game to them but starting seven defenders knocked those hopes on the head. The tactic might have worked, we’ll never know, because inside the first five minutes we gifted them a goal when McGinn hauled down Kent in the box and Tavernier converted the spot kick. McGinn looked bemused, Macey looked incensed and Stevenson’s pleas to the referee fell on deaf ears because there was no doubt a foul had been committed.

This opening put the hosts firmly on the front foot and Hibs were left to defend in numbers. Arfield should have done better with an effort but shot wide. The game was pretty congested and a number of niggly fouls by both sides kept Nick Walsh busy. The hosts continued to enjoy the bulk of possession, but Hibs did get forward at times and around ten minutes in they won a corner which Henderson slung over. Both McGinn and Balogun challenged for the ball, and it looked to me as though Balogun had caught McGinn on the hip whilst McGinn’s forward momentum caused Balogun to limp away hurt. McGinn tried to continue but couldn’t and so he was replaced by Jasper.

The substitution meant Hibs had to reorganise a bit with Cadden going to fullback and Jasper ahead of him on the right. Jasper’s first involvement was to be fouled by Morelos and before the kick could be taken, Balogun limped off to be replaced by Barisic. That foul on Jasper gave Hibs the chance to have a pop at goal from around twenty yards but Mitchell’s shot dipped over the bar. Defending stoically, Hibs were keeping the hosts out although Morelos had two efforts in quick succession but neither troubled Macey.

A decent break down the left got Hibs right up the park and Doig sent in a wonderful cross which Nisbet met with his left foot, forcing McGregor into a save. Young Jasper was looking lively and as he skinned Barisic, the defender hauled him down, earning a yellow card in the process. From Henderson’s resultant free kick, Nisbet headed goalwards, but the ball was blocked by Goldson.

As the half wore on, I felt we were pretty much holding our own and indeed had Goldson not felled Mitchell as the Hibs man raced towards goal there’s a chance an equaliser was on the cards. The foul was cynical and earned Goldson a yellow card. Henderson took the free kick and sent a low swerving shot towards McGregor’s near post, but the goalie got down well to smother the effort. As half time approached, Tavernier and Morelos (twice) fired in shots that failed to trouble Macey whilst at the other end, Jasper was the subject of another foul, this time by Bassey but no yellow card was shown.

The hosts relied a lot on feeding the ball to Ryan Kent and indeed that had served them well in securing an early penalty but although he got a couple of shots away, he was being marshalled pretty well by Chris Cadden. Right on the whistle, Kent finally got past his man but the subsequent shot on goal was easily saved by Macey.

Neither side made any changes at the break and the pattern of play remained the same. Five minutes in, Bushiri was booked for a challenge on Morelos who, love him or hate him, was a right handful for the Hibs defence. A couple of minutes later, Jasper collected a pass from Doyle-Hayes and fired in a shot, but the ball never reached the target as Bassey got in the way then, with the hour mark approaching, sloppy play in the midfield allowed Tavernier to gain possession and drive forward and pick out Morelos in the box. The striker had ghosted in behind Bushiri, rifling the ball high into the net from about ten yards.

To be fair to Hibs, the heads did not go down and first Henderson and then Jasper managed to make room for shots, but a packed defence meant McGregor wasn’t troubled. Lewis Stevenson, who had been assigned to mark Kamara, was then booked for a late challenge before Shaun Maloney decided that Henderson had run his race and replaced him with Mueller. A Morelos effort was well saved by Macey, but it seemed to me as though the introduction of Mueller was having a positive effect on Hibs going forward. Perhaps to augment that, Maloney then replaced Stevenson and Mitchell with Campbell and Doidge and for my money we were now playing a more attacking game.

Jasper, who had switched to the left upon the arrival of Mueller was then felled by Tavernier. The challenge happened right in front of a protesting Maloney, and it seems Nick Walsh was equally unimpressed as he booked Tavernier. The hosts were still causing problems but so too were Hibs when they ventured forward. Mueller in particular linked well with Cadden down the right and that combination set Cadden up for a shot on goal. McGregor got down to save but the ball went straight back to Cadden whose second effort drifted just wide. Moments later a Cadden cross was headed towards goal by Mueller, but the effort drifted just wide.

Referee Nick Walsh added four minutes and Hibs kept looking for a reward for their efforts with a Campbell effort blocked and then a lovely curling effort from Jasper looked to be heading for the top corner, but McGregor was equal to the challenge with a fine save. As you might expect, the hosts then decided to play keep ball until time ran out.

The players

Macey – No chance with either goal and other than a couple of punched clearances and a fine save late on when Morelos looked favourite to score, I thought he did ok.

McGinn – Paul looked rusty in his first start for a while, and it was poor timing that cost us the penalty. Looks like a hip injury that might keep him out for a game or two.

Porteous – In between looking as solid as a rock he made at least three terrible attempts at forward passes that might have had us in trouble.

Bushiri – There’s aspects of his game I really like but he was given a torrid time of it tonight by Morelos whom he completely lost for the second goal.

Doig – It might just be me, but I thought Josh looked a bit confused at times as to where he was playing. A decent performance though overall.

Cadden – Twelve minutes wide on the right of midfield and the remainder of the game at right back. Had his hands full at times with Kent but I thought he handled that pretty well and that he finished the game really strongly. My man of the match.

Doyle-Hayes – I worried for the laddie because he’s not been at his best of late, but he did ok against a very mobile midfield duo of Lundstram and Aribo.

Stevenson – Turning back the clock tonight for Lewis to be playing in midfield. It looked to me as though he’d been asked to shadow Kamara and if that is the case he did so very well.

Mitchell – Stands out well in spells but tires quite noticeably around the hour mark.

Henderson – Some lovely passes and he strikes a shot well. For me he is improving with the going.

Nisbet – A thankless task tonight and there were spells when we never seen much of him but overall, his wasn’t a bad performance.

Jasper – Got roughed up a bit but just got up and got on with it. I love the fact that he is always looking to drive forward.

Mueller – Chris did really well, and I think there is still more to come from him. He looks very comfortable in possession and was linking up really well down our right hand side.

Doidge – I bet Nisbet was pleased to see him because he needed the support up top. Nothing major from him tonight but more useful minutes on the clock.

Campbell – I saw both sides of Josh tonight. Dismally failed to control a throw in leading to an attack on Macey’s goal but later he got in a fabulous block to deny Morelos a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Shaun Maloney – I wonder if, in hindsight, he’ll wish he started with Mueller and Jasper. After we lost that early goal, he’ll have been encouraged by the way we defended for the most part and the fact that we finished the game looking strong going forward.

The referee – No complaints from me other than I felt he should have booked Morelos for an outrageous dive in the first half. Their fans, however, will be unhappy with Nick Walsh as he booked a few of their players.

LaMotta
09-02-2022, 10:21 PM
Great summary as usual JB.

One point of contention - Porteous is the most culpable for the Morelos goal though - he has to come over far sooner and get close to Morelos.

Unseen work
09-02-2022, 10:25 PM
Agree re Doig and his position - I think most fans will say they were a bit confused about the formation too after McGinn went off and many will say different.

If we’re playing with a 343 I think it’s essential that the two either side of Nisbet are capable of going beyond him and stretching the game.

We also need centre mids that when our defence breaks the press and plays it to them, they have the awareness to turn and play it forward with quality.

Lacked too much urgency in that second half for my liking and it wasn’t until the last 7 minutes that we went forward with some intensity.

Henderson, Jasper and Mueller all impressed in flashes tonight with their positivity on the ball.

I actually think we look solid enough defensively and have done since Maloney came in, we don’t give up many chances at all.

Our team is just a bit all over the place at the moment and I do feel for Maloney in that respect. But it’s his job to mix things up to get points on the board and that’s something we urgently need.

Also I’d like to say well done to Stevenson, chucked in midfield for the first time in years and done well.

jacomo
09-02-2022, 10:46 PM
Thanks JB.

Onwards!

B.H.F.C
09-02-2022, 10:54 PM
Agree re Doig and his position - I think most fans will say they were a bit confused about the formation too after McGinn went off and many will say different.

If we’re playing with a 343 I think it’s essential that the two either side of Nisbet are capable of going beyond him and stretching the game.

We also need centre mids that when our defence breaks the press and plays it to them, they have the awareness to turn and play it forward with quality.

Lacked too much urgency in that second half for my liking and it wasn’t until the last 7 minutes that we went forward with some intensity.

Henderson, Jasper and Mueller all impressed in flashes tonight with their positivity on the ball.

I actually think we look solid enough defensively and have done since Maloney came in, we don’t give up many chances at all.

Our team is just a bit all over the place at the moment and I do feel for Maloney in that respect. But it’s his job to mix things up to get points on the board and that’s something we urgently need.

Also I’d like to say well done to Stevenson, chucked in midfield for the first time in years and done well.

I didn’t think the shape was confusing tonight. It was just a back four as far as I could see with Cadden going to right back when McGinn went off. Shape didn’t change at that point, just personnel as it started as a four.

I didn’t have a clue how we’d line up when I saw the team lines but I actually thought the shape was better tonight. Just lack of quality on the middle of the park and we’re pretty much playing without a centre forward.

Kaff
09-02-2022, 10:54 PM

Good summary, and Jonnyboy too.
Plenty of good forward play tonight, I like the new young additions who have added pace and Henderson has a quality about him that will grow, his late addition in the derby could/should have won us the game.
Thought Cadden in last 20/30 mins was excellent, shame for him and Maloney he had to be more defensive with McGinns injury earlier.
We’ll never know but Dabrowski was saving those one on ones against Hearts that Morelos scored. Probably too harsh on Macey but it’s fine margins

BoomtownHibees
09-02-2022, 11:00 PM
No mention of the penalty we should have had?

Onceinawhile
09-02-2022, 11:21 PM
The amount of players we have who need to "get up to speed" us frightening.

Doidge
Jasper
Henderson
Mitchell
Mueller
Etc.

jacomo
09-02-2022, 11:35 PM

Doidge
Jasper
Henderson
Mitchell
Mueller
Etc.

Well yes but we’re just gonna have to be patient while it comes together.

BILLYHIBS
10-02-2022, 03:27 AM
Thanks for posting Jonnyboy

Felt we might have had a pen when Porto was grabbed from behind and thrown to the ground at a corner

Ref gave us nothing whilst Freddo continues to get away with murder

Thought we bossed the last ten minutes and played some nice stuff but The Rangers were running down the clock by then

Too little too late

We lack bite seems nuts to let both Gogic and Hallberg leave

They both could be lining up against us in a relegation battle as we cannae buy a goal at the moment

Scooter
10-02-2022, 04:44 AM
Mueller is someone we just need to start he should be the 1st name on the 1st 11. Can be definitely frustrating at times but he never hides is always moving, wanting the ball and willing to try and make something happen

jacomo
10-02-2022, 06:21 AM
Mueller is someone we just need to start he should be the 1st name on the 1st 11. Can be definitely frustrating at times but he never hides is always moving, wanting the ball and willing to try and make something happen

Agree, he’s a quality player.

JimBHibees
10-02-2022, 01:43 PM
Agree, he’s a quality player.

Thought he had some excellent touches last night, looked very good.

500miles
10-02-2022, 03:02 PM

He has improved game on game. Was so weak on his debut, and while he will need to work on that long term, he's moving the ball much more quickly and beats his man regularly.

500miles
10-02-2022, 03:03 PM

Doidge
Jasper
Henderson
Mitchell
Mueller
Etc.

And to think that people wanted even more players brought in half way through the season.

brog
10-02-2022, 06:17 PM
Great summary as usual JB.

One point of contention - Porteous is the most culpable for the Morelos goal though - he has to come over far sooner and get close to Morelos.

Afraid not, was Rocky's man and he just lost him. Overall though Rocky has stepped up in absence of Hanlon and Clarke.

Stuart93
10-02-2022, 06:19 PM
And to think that people wanted even more players brought in half way through the season.

We could’ve brought in players that were already up to speed? Plenty examples of players teams have brought in in January and have hit the ground running

kaimendhibs
10-02-2022, 07:52 PM
I was there last night and expect to get pelters but I saw this,
Pen against us 4 mins in, set us back.
Toiled to get back from it, then last 25 we were better side.
2nd half we did ok, shame about marking for Plugs goal but some hit tbf.
Last 10, Cadden and Mueller had them worried.
Have seen worse through there

JimBHibees
11-02-2022, 05:50 AM
I was there last night and expect to get pelters but I saw this,
Pen against us 4 mins in, set us back.
Toiled to get back from it, then last 25 we were better side.
2nd half we did ok, shame about marking for Plugs goal but some hit tbf.
Last 10, Cadden and Mueller had them worried.
Have seen worse through there

Pretty much spot in from what I saw on tv

LaMotta
12-02-2022, 02:01 AM
Afraid not, was Rocky's man and he just lost him. Overall though Rocky has stepped up in absence of Hanlon and Clarke.

Nope that's not right mate.

Watch it again: https://youtu.be/H-f5rk1soU8

Rocky is marking Arfield who is in an advanced positon. Rocky then follows Arfield into a deeper position. You could argue he follows him too far which leaves the gap. But Morelos clearly runs across from Porto's side. Porto switches off and fails to shuffle over until its too late.

The Sportscene pundits singled out Porto as the main culprit too.

As much as I like Porteous he really has helped cost us a number of goals against Rangers over the last few years. He seems to get away with his mistakes with the fans more than other players though.

Unseen work
12-02-2022, 06:26 AM
For me that goal is purely on Rocky.

There’s no requirement for him to step so far out of defence to follow Arfield, it’s basic defending and complete ruins the back line and leaves a massive hole in it.

Morelos slightly drifts deep before arching his run away from Porteous and you could maybe argue Porteous should read it quicker and shuffle over.

But it happens over over about 1 second from the point Tavernier receives it and his first touch around Mitchell opens it up massively and exploits the gap which prior to that touch although was awful shape was relatively secure.

It’s a mistake but it’s also really good and clinical play from rangers. I’d love for our speed of play/decision making to be that ruthless to exploit other teams mistakes.

BILLYHIBS
12-02-2022, 06:33 AM

There’s no requirement for him to step so far out of defence to follow Arfield, it’s basic defending and complete ruins the back line and leaves a massive hole in it.

Morelos slightly drifts deep before arching his run away from Porteous and you could maybe argue Porteous should read it quicker and shuffle over.

But it happens over over about 1 second from the point Tavernier receives it and his first touch around Mitchell opens it up massively and exploits the gap which prior to that touch although was awful shape was relatively secure.

It’s a mistake but it’s also really good and clinical play from rangers. I’d love for our speed of play/decision making to be that ruthless to exploit other teams mistakes.

Watching it the first time in normal play it looked to me as if Rocky fell asleep switched off and Freddo got on his blindside

Will take La Motta’s advice and watch it again though

Hun TV blamed Rocky but they weren’t complaining

Jones28
12-02-2022, 07:32 AM
Radio man blamed Rocky but after watching it I think Porteous is just as liable for it.

LaMotta
12-02-2022, 08:48 AM

Watching it the first time in normal play it looked to me as if Rocky fell asleep switched off and Freddo got on his blindside

Will take La Motta’s advice and watch it again though

Hun TV blamed Rocky but they weren’t complaining

Radio man blamed Rocky but after watching it I think Porteous is just as liable for it.

Rocky isn't great for it but there is at least a reason for his wandering as he thinks the ball is going into Arfields feet.

Watching a short clip of the goal on Twitter it seems like its Rocky's sole fault and I can see why people would say that.

But the fuller clip on Youtube totally implicates Porto IMO - backed up by the Sportscene pundits comment. Notwithstanding the fact that he lets Morelos drift over (the one player you don't want to give time and space to), he should be in a more central position anyway given that Rangers have the ball on their right for a fair bit of time in the run up to the through ball.