PDA

View Full Version : Freefall

Hibees1973
09-02-2022, 09:04 PM
Can't score.

Losing stupid goals.

Rookie manager.

If Hibs lose in the cup at Arbroath the knives will be out for Ron & Sean.

......we are in freefall.

flash
09-02-2022, 09:05 PM
Can't score.

Losing stupid goals.

Rookie manager.

Nah.

noz
09-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Sunday is massive, no two ways about it.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Can't score.

Losing stupid goals.

Rookie manager.

why wait til after the Rangers game to make this claim?
if we win against Arbroath will ye haste back to reassess?

1875Sean
09-02-2022, 09:33 PM
Can't score.

Losing stupid goals.

Rookie manager.

Why would the knifes out be for Ron?

Coco Bryce
09-02-2022, 09:34 PM
Why would the knifes out be for Ron?

Because it rhymes maybe 🤷

JammyDoidger
09-02-2022, 09:38 PM
Why is all this happening after tonight? It's the Motherwell, the Livi and st mirren games that are worrying, we don't look like beating anyone. Tonight was actually better than I expected.

Nicho87
09-02-2022, 09:40 PM
Cup game set up perfectly for a young naive hibs team to go there and get found out.

Hopefully the wind blows in hibs favour come the weekend

Sean1875
09-02-2022, 09:43 PM
2 points off 4th still. Not quite at panic stations yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Cup game set up perfectly for a young naive hibs team to go there and get found out.

Hopefully the wind blows in hibs favour come the weekend

Cup runs are ***** unless we win it anyway. So loads of folk on here said the past two years.

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 09:48 PM
2 points off 4th still. Not quite at panic stations yet.

Being 2 points off 4th (which is still shan how we finished last season) is really worrying because it's our early form that have us here.

There's no chance we finish 4th. None. I think top six is goosed now looking at the fixtures.

Shrekko
09-02-2022, 10:03 PM
Cup runs are ***** unless we win it anyway. So loads of folk on here said the past two years.

Yip - 3rd place finishes also completely meaningless as well when you don’t win a cup.

Hibernia&Alba
09-02-2022, 10:05 PM
We will need to scrap like hell in Arbroath. A struggling SPL team against the top side in the Championship, and at a difficult venue, has the makings of an upset. They will throw the kitchen sink at us.

SMAXXA
09-02-2022, 10:17 PM
Being 2 points off 4th (which is still shan how we finished last season) is really worrying because it's our early form that have us here.

There's no chance we finish 4th. None. I think top six is goosed now looking at the fixtures.

Bit hysterical having us down as a bottom 6 side to is early on. Plenty points to win and it will turn.

CB Hibs 68
09-02-2022, 10:45 PM
Bit hysterical having us down as a bottom 6 side to is early on. Plenty points to win and it will turn.
Based on what exactly ? Enlighten me please because I ain’t seeing anything that suggests an uplift in fortunes on the pitch.

Stokesy's on fire
09-02-2022, 10:46 PM
Losing to Arbroath would see Maloney sacked on Monday morning.

JamesHFC
09-02-2022, 10:48 PM

Nah. Fail to finish top six though and it will probably be farewell. Fully believe we will win Sunday and kick on from there though.

Ronniekirk
09-02-2022, 10:53 PM

It really wouldn’t as he and Ron share the same Vision of where the Club is heading
The problem is we live in the here and now and Maloney is learning as he goes

Greenio
09-02-2022, 10:54 PM
Nah. Fail to finish top six though and it will probably be farewell. Fully believe we will win Sunday and kick on from there though.

No chance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ron and Ben made a big call by moving JR on and getting SM in. As long as we dont get relegated (not going to happen) he will get the full season, the summer window and the start of next season - as he should.

JamesHFC
09-02-2022, 10:58 PM
No chance.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Ron and Ben made a big call by moving JR on and getting SM in. As long as we dont get relegated (not going to happen) he will get the full season, the summer window and the start of next season - as he should.

I hope that happens, I just sense that if we don’t finish top six then the reaction of the supporters will cause the board to make a big decision, especially with the AGM being confirmed for spring.

Greenio
09-02-2022, 11:06 PM
I hope that happens, I just sense that if we don’t finish top six then the reaction of the supporters will cause the board to make a big decision, especially with the AGM being confirmed for spring.

Doesn't matter how vocal the support gets. Reason and logic will prevail. Bring a guy in mid season, give him the summer. Have we ever sacked a manager without giving them a summer ?

edit - Butcher - but then he got us relegated

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 11:10 PM

No it won't. He's their man. They won't admit defeat that easy.

I wouldn't want him sacked without giving him a fair chance either. Thinking about it more I would be a hypocrite otherwise.

Who would then come in better? You would trust it to happen? For they reasons Maloney stays to gain our trust in the guys running the club. Sacked on Monday would be catastrophe.

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 11:15 PM
Doesn't matter how vocal the support gets. Reason and logic will prevail. Bring a guy in mid season, give him the summer. Have we ever sacked a manager without giving them a summer ?

Have we ever sacked a manager a week before a cup final having lead us to third and the Scottish Cup final the season before? :confused:

That seemingly wasn't good enough for the Hibernian board. Regardless of the support.

Onceinawhile
09-02-2022, 11:19 PM
No wins this year.

No goals since?

No wins in 6.

Football is guff.

Defence is mince.

Don't look like scoring.

Carheenlea
09-02-2022, 11:33 PM
No chance.

Ron and Ben sacked Jack Ross ahead of a Cup Final. I wouldn’t rule anything out if we succumb to Arbroath on Sunday.

houstonhibbee
09-02-2022, 11:36 PM
No chance.

Totally agree....

houstonhibbee
09-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Have we ever sacked a manager a week before a cup final having lead us to third and the Scottish Cup final the season before? :confused:

That seemingly wasn't good enough for the Hibernian board. Regardless of the support.
I think this has been done to death. It was more the nature of the footballing style and the rapid dropping off of support that was the catalyst - plus the pathetic performance in the SCF

houstonhibbee
09-02-2022, 11:41 PM
No wins this year.

No goals since?

No wins in 6.

Football is guff.

Defence is mince.

Don't look like scoring.

We looked like scoring three against St Mirren. Defense is not mince. Football is ok - yes its a WIP.

CB_NO3
09-02-2022, 11:43 PM

Behave. The damage is done. The squad is mince. Stop blaming Maloney ffs. The damage was done in the summer of last year.

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 11:43 PM
I think this has been done to death. It was more the nature of the footballing style and the rapid dropping off of support that was the catalyst - plus the pathetic performance in the SCF

But we sacked a manager that lead us to the Scottish Cup final and 3rd.

Anything is possible now.

If the pathetic cup final performance is a barometer then surely emptied off part timers on Sunday should we lose scales well under that in your eyes and you will say so?

lord bunberry
09-02-2022, 11:50 PM
Hopefully winning on Sunday can kick start a decent run for us. So far it’s all been pretty dire for Maloney, but if he can get us winning games the confidence will rise and his system will start to make more sense. Playing the passing style can be really good, but it needs players who are confident enough to carry it out in order for it to effective.

houstonhibbee
09-02-2022, 11:58 PM

If the pathetic cup final performance is a barometer then surely emptied off part timers on Sunday should we lose scales well under that in your eyes and you will say so?
I didn't want Ross to get the sack and if we lose on Sunday I certainly don't want Shaun to get the sack. We're not winning much but there is potential in the performances and the new recruits. I would have kept Hallberg as well and given him more play time. Scott Allan is still worth bringing on for the last half hour in certain games. As other posters have stated - there are free agents that could fill the centre midfield spot that is lacking.

houstonhibbee
10-02-2022, 12:00 AM
Hopefully winning on Sunday can kick start a decent run for us. So far it’s all been pretty dire for Maloney, but if he can get us winning games the confidence will rise and his system will start to make more sense. Playing the passing style can be really good, but it needs players who are confident enough to carry it out in order for it to effective.
There were several dodgy/ risky/ poor passes out today. I noticed a few players decided to start hoofing it a few times when in doubt......

Onceinawhile
10-02-2022, 12:02 AM
We looked like scoring three against St Mirren. Defense is not mince. Football is ok - yes its a WIP.

How many did we score against St mirren?

Greenio
10-02-2022, 12:14 AM

Not the same at all. Many reasons that led to JR getting punted (which I did not and still do not agree with btw)

SM will be here until he deserves not to be, as deemed by Ron and Ben. He will therefore get the full seasons, a summer (where he will get fully backed to bring in whatever he wants), then, if he doesn't meet expectations by Xmas, he might find his head on the chopping board. But ZERO chance he goes this season (unless we get relegated)

People just need to get used to that.

Clarence
10-02-2022, 05:23 AM
The rest of the season is just about steadying the ship and hoping that Maloney works out what he’s doing. I’m not being overly harsh here as he is clearly still finding his feet.

Since452
10-02-2022, 05:41 AM
Not the same at all. Many reasons that led to JR getting punted (which I did not and still do not agree with btw)

SM will be here until he deserves not to be, as deemed by Ron and Ben. He will therefore get the full seasons, a summer (where he will get fully backed to bring in whatever he wants), then, if he doesn't meet expectations by Xmas, he might find his head on the chopping board. But ZERO chance he goes this season (unless we get relegated)

People just need to get used to that.

Even if we lose to Arbroath? And then don't pick up 3 points against Ross County? That is hypothetical I know but very possible. My worry is that Ron won't punt his own guy to save face and we continue to plummet. I called it early with Maloney and been crucified for it but I'm very concerned. Seen this story before.

JimBHibees
10-02-2022, 05:59 AM
Can't score.

Losing stupid goals.

Rookie manager.

Proper ray of sunshine. Funny Dundee beating Hearts last night must have really annoyed the bitter ones.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 06:30 AM

We’ve never sacked a manager a week before a cup final either, so we are in uncharted waters here.

I do agree though… we are in the midst of a big change and if Arbroath beat us we may have to just forget about it and move on.

The club do need the fans to stay on board though.

GreenCastle
10-02-2022, 06:33 AM
Remember ST need to be sold for next season..

I would currently predict there will be a drop in sales.

Something needs to change soon by winning games as finishing 3rd then letting standards slip / levels of performance slip simply isn’t good enough and will be reflected as fans don’t attend / buy ST.

Libby Hibby
10-02-2022, 06:36 AM

I think the fans patience would start diminish if this happened. I was supporting Maloney, still want him to do well but we really do need to start winning soon or the pressure will begin to mount up.

Gatecrasher
10-02-2022, 06:37 AM
How reading some of the statistics for the last 16 or so games doesn't put the fear in some folk, this has so many similarities to the Butcher season it's scary. Right down to the panic buying. Ron took a huge gamble on SM and if this doesn't work out deserves every bit of criticism that would head his way.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 06:40 AM
Even if we lose to Arbroath? And then don't pick up 3 points against Ross County? That is hypothetical I know but very possible. My worry is that Ron won't punt his own guy to save face and we continue to plummet. I called it early with Maloney and been crucified for it but I'm very concerned. Seen this story before.

We’ve all got concerns I’m sure but unless they are coming from inside the camp I think it’s too early to call anything.

The long established pattern is successful season followed by manager leaving before the year is out. I’m kinda fuming it happened again. But we have to break this cycle and maybe a bit of short term pain now will pay dividends.

Our manager is a rookie but ambitious and has experience at the very top of the game. I think we need to be patient and see where it takes us.

Just_Jimmy
10-02-2022, 06:44 AM
New managers usually get a bump they maintain before dropping off. They rarely start badly and improve to a really high standard.

It was a weird appointment.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 07:19 AM

We sacked a manager who picked up 4 points in 9 games and was starting to oversee farical displays seeing more than one player sent off on more than one occasion. Managers who get sacked often have a bad run and then the straw that breaks the camels back is an absolute **** show of a game. Livingston was JRs shut show after his shocker of a run.

If he was still performing like the manager who got us 3rd then he’d still be here.

You can’t cling onto past successes in football when you’re not performing whether you’re a player or a manager. Hibs are no different in that regard, neither is Jack Ross.

B.H.F.C
10-02-2022, 07:19 AM
How reading some of the statistics for the last 16 or so games doesn't put the fear in some folk, this has so many similarities to the Butcher season it's scary. Right down to the panic buying. Ron took a huge gamble on SM and if this doesn't work out deserves every bit of criticism that would head his way.

I don’t think there’s been any panic buying, certainly not in January. I just don’t think what we have bought has been very good, it’s not addressed the issues we have. They just seem to have got carried away with the whole idea of getting players in and developing them and forgot about actually needing to put a capable team on the park now.

superfurryhibby
10-02-2022, 07:42 AM
Maloney was always going to be a risky appointment, but it seems to me that he is symptomatic of a wider agenda from our owner. If Ross had been here, I very much doubt he would have supported the purchase of a raft of untested laddies. Gordon has an agenda in terms of the model of the club going forward, but he’s making a grave error if he thinks fans will swallow mediocrity on the field in the interim.

Handing out long term contracts was viewed by most as a good sign, tying up Boyle and Newell, looked sensible and indeed we got the fee for Boyle. However, you ask wtf led them to give JDH an extended deal so soon into his career? The summer window was a warning that Ross wasn’t being fully backed and thus it transpired.

The failings of the summer incomings were bad enough, but to compound it by the recent window dressing is very worrying.

Maloney needs to take a reality check too. Hibs lack the quality of player required to play the ball out from the back and it’s costing the team goals. Goals that our already deficient side can ill afford to lose.
My feeling is that he is out of his depth and his inexperience will cost him and Hibs. A more streetwise manager would have seen the players and thought this needs strengthened now. I can’t see a Derek McInnes or Alex Neil type thinking let’s get a whole bunch of unproven laddies in, that’s just what this side needs.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 08:02 AM
New managers usually get a bump they maintain before dropping off. They rarely start badly and improve to a really high standard.

It was a weird appointment.

Alan Stubbs had a slow start before it clicked (although he was starting from a much worse position).

Eddie Howe seems to have turned a corner at Newcastle after a poor first two months.

Let’s hope we experience a similar upturn in fortunes soon.

Just_Jimmy
10-02-2022, 08:08 AM
Alan Stubbs had a slow start before it clicked (although he was starting from a much worse position).

Eddie Howe seems to have turned a corner at Newcastle after a poor first two months.

Let’s hope we experience a similar upturn in fortunes soon.Stubbs (as you say) had 7 players on the books when he started.

Howe had probably the largest budget in the world and certainly the league.

Both used the transfer window to sort stuff and it's still early doors for howe.

I believe you know within 5 games if a new manager has it. That might not be 5 wins, but you just know. Mowbray lost his first game to Kilmarnock at home yet majority saw enough to know we'd be fine.

I've seen nothing from maloneys hibs to suggest this will improve.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 08:11 AM
Stubbs (as you say) had 7 players on the books when he started.

Howe had probably the largest budget in the world and certainly the league.

Both used the transfer window to sort stuff and it's still early doors for howe.

I believe you know within 5 games if a new manager has it. That might not be 5 wins, but you just know. Mowbray lost his first game to Kilmarnock at home yet majority saw enough to know we'd be fine.

I've seen nothing from maloneys hibs to suggest this will improve.

I also have reservations, believe me, but we have no alternative right now but to hope this set up pays off.

Relative to our peers, we’ve made a big investment in players, which makes the Newcastle comparison valid (although we are operating at a very different level of course).

declan macmanus
10-02-2022, 08:13 AM
All the "future" signings will find it a bit easier to establish themselves once we are playing Championship football. we are only another couple of bad weeks away from being dragged into the playoff dogfight...
The winter window was another shocker on top of a disaster of a summer window.

HIBS NUTS
10-02-2022, 08:18 AM
All the "future" signings will find it a bit easier to establish themselves once we are playing Championship football. we are only another couple of bad weeks away from being dragged into the playoff dogfight...
The winter window was another shocker on top of a disaster of a summer window.

I got told I was a jambo, for saying the winter window was a shocker.😳

GreenCastle
10-02-2022, 08:20 AM
You wonder what Maloney is thinking ? Having left a decent job with Belgium in a World Cup year.

The other question is if he doesn’t do well at Hibs where would he ho next ? Would probably have to be an assistant again.

The only positive is considering how crap we have been for ages we are 2 points away from 4th. Saturday and next few weeks whether we make top 6 will shape Maloneys future at Hibs.

Not So Young
10-02-2022, 08:22 AM
I genuinely can't see Arbroath winning

Steve20
10-02-2022, 08:23 AM
Losing to Arbroath would be a shocker for Maloney, but talk of getting rid of him is far too soon. He has been left a very poor squad.

If we were to somehow fall into a relegation battle, that might change. I don't think this is like the Butcher days though and I just can't see us being in danger. We won't finish top 6, but will be clear of the bottom two.

Sunday is massive, as it's basically all that's left this season.

GreenCastle
10-02-2022, 08:31 AM
I genuinely can't see Arbroath winning

They haven’t lost at home all season..

jacomo
10-02-2022, 08:39 AM
You wonder what Maloney is thinking ? Having left a decent job with Belgium in a World Cup year.

The other question is if he doesn’t do well at Hibs where would he ho next ? Would probably have to be an assistant again.

The only positive is considering how crap we have been for ages we are 2 points away from 4th. Saturday and next few weeks whether we make top 6 will shape Maloneys future at Hibs.

I can only assume he is completely committed to becoming a manager in his own right.

That means success with us, so our fortunes are shared.

WestCoastHibby
10-02-2022, 08:40 AM
We should worry about the bottom six to give ourselves a chance of top six

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 08:41 AM
I can only assume he is completely committed to becoming a manager in his own right.

That means success with us, so our fortunes are shared.

Absolutely. Maloney will be doing everything in his power to turn this around and if that requires a change in philosophy/system then I’m sure that’ll come.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 08:41 AM
I got told I was a jambo, for saying the winter window was a shocker.😳

Jambo.

:wink:

In truth, if you can’t see the talent we have signed then I don’t know what to say. The balance of the squad may be off but we’ve clearly shown ambition and signed some promising talent.

superfurryhibby
10-02-2022, 08:59 AM
Jambo.

In truth, if you can’t see the talent we have signed then I don’t know what to say. The balance of the squad may be off but we’ve clearly shown ambition and signed some promising talent.

Do you think a more experienced manager would have backed the signing policy we have just seen in the last window? Personally, I don't think they would.

Maybe we could have shown a bit more ambition and signed players who could make a difference now. The deficits in the side were glaringly obvious. The club failed to address them. For me that is a serious failing. There's a lot at stake for Hibs. We failed to adequately back the manager this summer, crowds are down. we sold our best player, ditched the manager, appointing a rookie who appear to need to remove his heid from his erse and the side is now in danger of entering freefall mode.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 09:03 AM
Do you think a more experienced manager would have backed the signing policy we have just seen in the last window? Personally, I don't think they would.

Maybe we could have shown a bit more ambition and signed players who could make a difference now. The deficits in the side were glaringly obvious. The club failed to address them. For me that is a serious failing. There's a lot at stake for Hibs. We failed to adequately back the manager this summer, crowds are down. we sold our best player, ditched the manager, appointing a rookie who appear to need to remove his heid from his erse and the side is now in danger of entering freefall mode.

We had an experienced man at the helm before Maloney and we have ended up with a shambles of a squad. In fact, looking at the squad, I’m not even sure how many of our signings under Ross can be deemed a real success. Cadden maybe the only one I can think of?

So in answer to your first question, whether they back it or not, bad transfer windows have been happening for years now under experienced managers so I’m not sure Maloneys inexperience can be blamed all that much for this one. There’s something horribly wrong with recruitment at Hibs. The only positive with the last window is that whilst it’s left us horribly short in areas, the players who have come in all at least look semi decent.

superfurryhibby
10-02-2022, 09:16 AM
We had an experienced man at the helm before Maloney and we have ended up with a shambles of a squad. In fact, looking at the squad, I’m not even sure how many of our signings under Ross can be deemed a real success. Cadden maybe the only one I can think of?

So in answer to your first question, whether they back it or not, bad transfer windows have been happening for years now under experienced managers so I’m not sure Maloneys inexperience can be blamed all that much for this one. There’s something horribly wrong with recruitment at Hibs.

My inclination is to lay blame at the feet of our board. I also think that the poor recruitment was factor under Jack Ross this summer and was probably the main cause of the much hinted falling out between manager and owner.

Perhaps the main difference between the past and the two most recent windows was that we had some success under Ross, with a third place finish and a cup final (dismal though it was)?

Greenio
10-02-2022, 09:26 AM
All talk of getting rid of him now, if we lose to Arbroath, if things don't get better quick etc etc, is absolutely mental and just an example of folk that don't understand what it takes to build success.

The guys been in the job 52 days. 52 days!

I honestly question what % of folk on here or social media calling for a Hibs manager to be sacked after 52 days are actually Hibs fans. I smell windup merchants and pot stirrers tbh

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 09:29 AM
All talk of getting rid of him now, if we lose to Arbroath, if things don't get better quick etc etc, is absolutely mental and just an example of folk that don't understand what it takes to build success.

I honestly question what % of folk on here or social media calling for a Hibs manager to be sacked after 52 days are actually Hibs fans. I smell windup merchants and pot steerers tbh

Why shouldnt he be expected to hit the ground running?

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 09:32 AM
My inclination is to lay blame at the feet of our board. I also think that the poor recruitment was factor under Jack Ross this summer and was probably the main cause of the much hinted falling out between manager and owner.

Perhaps the main difference between the past and the two most recent windows was that we had some success under Ross, with a third place finish and a cup final (dismal though it was)?

I’d agree with that.

Ross was probably lucky in that having Boyle managed to offset a lot of the poor transfer activity. Boyle was that good and his output was out of this world in terms of goals and assists.

Once the players recruited before JR started to leave/retire/get older, the newer players really started to drag the quality of the squad down. JR suffered from it and now Maloney is suffering from it as well. Having so many players who are either god awful or just not even considered for minutes has killed us.

Mick O'Rourke
10-02-2022, 09:35 AM
Jambo.

Yes we have recruited well last month.
Mitchell,Jasper and Mueller, i think, once they settle in,will impact well on the side and get fans "off their seats "
Not to mention the recent signings who have not had their debuts yet.
Look forward to watching them........ and Magennis !

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 09:35 AM

Because he took over a shambles? Expecting him to come in and turn us into a cracking side when we were dreadful before he came in isn’t really realistic, especially when he lost the best non OF player in the league who almost single handedly brought us a hell of a lot of our results over the past 2 years.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 09:43 AM
Because he took over a shambles? Expecting him to come in and turn us into a cracking side when we were dreadful before he came in isn’t really realistic, especially when he lost the best non OF player in the league who almost single handedly brought us a hell of a lot of our results over the past 2 years.

He took over a good side, who had just lost a cup final, finished 3rd and been in another cup final.

Pat fenlon took over a shambles, Alan stubbs took over a shambles. Maloney definitely didn't. David Gray got 4 points in 2 games ffs.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 09:47 AM
He took over a good side, who had just lost a cup final, finished 3rd and been in another cup final.

Pat fenlon took over a shambles, Alan stubbs took over a shambles. Maloney definitely didn't. David Gray got 4 points in 2 games ffs.

If we were the same side that finished third then Ross would still be here.

We weren’t, we were a shambles of a side who had 4 points from 27 and were 7th and dropping like a stone.

We had 2 players sent off in 1 game on 2 occasions in the 5 games previous to JR leaving. We absolutely were a shambles.

What we done last season counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to how we were doing this season. That’s what Maloney took over, not the 3rd place Hibs of last season.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 09:54 AM

We weren’t, we were a shambles of a side who had 4 points from 27 and were 7th and dropping like a stone.

We had 2 players sent off in 1 game on 2 occasions in the 5 games previous to JR leaving. We absolutely were a shambles.

What we done last season counts for absolutely nothing when it comes to how we were doing this season. That’s what Maloney took over, not the 3rd place Hibs of last season.

Ross had an awful run, mainly due to injury, lack of depth and generally awful luck.

Do you actually think 1 from 7 at home to Livi, Hearts and St Mirren isn't cause for concern? Maloney should've improved us. Hecky got results with lennons mess and Ross got results with heckys mess. Maloney is making a bigger mess.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:02 AM
Ross had an awful run, mainly due to injury, lack of depth and generally awful luck.

Do you actually think 1 from 7 at home to Livi, Hearts and St Mirren isn't cause for concern? Maloney should've improved us. Hecky got results with lennons mess and Ross got results with heckys mess. Maloney is making a bigger mess.

And you could just as easily make excuses for Maloney. Signed Clarke, injured before a ball is kicked. Porteous does something stupid, out for 3 games. Magennis was due to be back, injured again. Best player in Scotland at a non old firm team sold from beneath him.

I never once said it’s not cause for concern. But I don’t think it’s realistic for him to have completely turned us around straight away. We’re nowhere near good enough player wise now that we’ve lost Boyle for him to have done that.

Did Hecky or JR have the one player who was carrying the team sold within a couple of games of taking over? Funnily enough we played very well and won when we had Boyle under Maloney. Losing Boyle has been the catalyst for how poor we are.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 10:04 AM
And you could just as easily make excuses for Maloney. Signed Clarke, injured before a ball is kicked. Porteous does something stupid, out for 3 games. Magennis was due to be back, injured again. Best player in Scotland at a non old firm team sold from beneath him.

I never once said it’s not cause for concern. But I don’t think it’s realistic for him to have completely turned us around straight away. We’re nowhere near good enough player wise now that we’ve lost Boyle for him to have done that.

I actually agree. Maloney hasn't had much luck so far.

Do we think even if his plan comes together we'll actually be some force, though? If a manager was going to get time to change things, why not the proven manager?

Greenio
10-02-2022, 10:05 AM

You want him to win games now? Sure, we all do, but dont let that not happening distract you from what's the real objective here. Look at the long play - building infrastructure, a culture, a direction. THAT'S what matters most and that's what trumps 'hitting the ground running' each and every time when we are talking about meanginful progress as a football club

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:07 AM
I actually agree. Maloney hasn't had much luck so far.

Do we think even if his plan comes together we'll actually be some force, though? If a manager was going to get time to change things, why not the proven manager?

The proven manager had time. He had 2 years. In football terms, that is being given time. He remained in charge after a horror show at ER against an eventually relegated Hearts. He had a Hampden horror show x 2 against St J, one of them a cup final. He lost to lower league Hearts at Hampden. He had horror shows at Easter Road against Livi, RC and DU that were all ALOT worse than any of the defeats Maloney has had yet. He kept his job after all these results. He was given lots of time and after 2 years we were sinking and looking worse week on week.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 10:09 AM
You want him to win games now? Sure, we all do, but dont let that not happening distract you from what's the real objective here. Look at the long play - building infrastructure, a culture, a direction. THAT'S what matters most and that's what trumps 'hitting the ground running' each and every time when we are talking about meanginful progress as a football club

Thats great. Hopefully the club let us know when the main aim will be winning games so we can all expect that.

Why do other clubs seem to be able to do those things without writing off seasons?

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:10 AM
Thats great. Hopefully the club let us know when the main aim will be winning games so we can all expect that.

Why do other clubs seem to be able to do those things without writing off seasons?

Have Hibs written off the season? Where did you see that?

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 10:10 AM
The proven manager had time. He had 2 years. In football terms, that is being given time. He remained in charge after a horror show at ER against an eventually relegated Hearts. He had a Hampden horror show x 2 against St J, one of them a cup final. He lost to lower league Hearts at Hampden. He had horror shows at Easter Road against Livi, RC and DU that were all ALOT worse than any of the defeats Maloney has had yet. He kept his job after all these results. He was given lots of time and after 2 years we were sinking and looking worse week on week.

Name a Hibs manager without a list like that?

He also beat those teams many times you know?

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:12 AM
Name a Hibs manager without a list like that?

He also beat those teams many times you know?

Sean Maloney.

I know he did. But to suggest he didn’t get time is laughable. He got given more than the average manager gets despite a load of horrible results and performances. He was given plenty time and it was all falling to bits by the end. It happens, just like it happened under NL, just like it happened under McLeish.

flash
10-02-2022, 10:19 AM

He inherited a dogs dinner. We have sold Boyle who often carried the attacking side of the team. He has had horrendous luck with injuries and stupid suspensions.
He has brought in new players who are still acclimatising.
He is attempting to change our playing style from the dour, counter attacking style of his predecessor into something much more fluid and attractive.
There is no guarantee he will be successful but anyone failing to acknowledge the reasons outlined above is either clueless or disingenuous.

superfurryhibby
10-02-2022, 10:20 AM

Ross had credit in the bank based on last season, but I reckon the tensions between him and the board were heightened by the poor summer window.

Who can really say what was going on? I suspect the board expected to sell Doig and Nisbet and that failed to transpire. The window ended up with us scrambling around with last minute signing of James Scott and an attempt to get McGrath in. After a decent enough start, the injuries and lack of depth started to tell and , as you say, by the end of Ross's tenure everything was unravelling big time. The form was that of relegation.

I wasn't surprised Ross went. I was sceptical about Maloney coming in too. However, the incoming transfers are bizarre given the context of poor form, the sale of our goal scoring threat and the failure to address glaring weaknesses in the squad.

Maloney's tactics aren't helping matters. Anyone can see that we don't have the quality to build from the back, all it does is hand the opposition the chance to put us under pressure. If he can't compromise then his management career at Hibs is going to be short lived. We are a side in freefall. we had the chance to salvage something from this season and didn't take it. That is down to the board. They decided to bring in a rookie manager, buy players who haven't improved the side. What a ****ing mess we are in.

Greenio
10-02-2022, 10:21 AM

The main aim is winning games.

But it takes a lot more than just coming in and 'hitting the ground running' to achieve that ongoing

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:23 AM
He inherited a dogs dinner. We have sold Boyle who often carried the attacking side of the team. He has had horrendous luck with injuries and stupid suspensions.
He is attempting to change our playing style from the dour, counter attacking style of his predecessor into something much more fluid and attractive.
There is no guarantee he will be successful but anyone failing to acknowledge the reasons outlined above is either clueless or disingenuous.

Said it better than I ever could.

Any manager, experience or no experience would have struggled with the squad Maloney inherited minus Boyle. I’d hate to think how bad we’d have been had we kept JR and lost Boyle considering how bad we were at the end WITH Boyle

You could see in Maloneys first two games a clear change in our style of play and we got 2 very decent results and performances. Losing Boyle has weakened us so much though that it’ll be nigh on impossible to replicate performances like the DU one often this season with what we have left. We do however have to find a way to at least replicate the results.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:27 AM
They decided to bring in a rookie manager, buy players who haven't improved the side. What a ****ing mess we are in.

I actually think that the players we’ve brought in have been an improvement on what was already here.

Mueller, Henderson, Jasper, Mitchell, Rocky, imo they all look better than the likes of Wright, Scott, McGinn etc. Clarke would hopefully have been in that bracket as well and who knows about Melkerson.

Problem for me isn’t so much the quality of the players we’ve signed, it’s the players that we didn’t sign that’s hurting us.

Shrekko
10-02-2022, 10:39 AM

Anyone who doesn't believe the same as you do is 'clueless'? C'mon.

You can argue straight away that under difficult circumstances (yes I do agree with some of the mitigating factors) that to try and change style so dramatically mid-season is absolute suicide in itself. Just because a manager wants to do things differently it doesn't give him a free pass for everything. We've been generally horrific recently against clubs with lower resources than us. The 'style' is showing no signs of being workable in Scotland and the team look even less like scoring than before.

Let's be clear here- we could and should still be winning games with the squad we have. We need to adapt and improve quickly.

An old argument I guess but this stuff about us being "dour, counter attacking" under JR is just so lazy and really has no basis whatsoever. Also lazy to assume that Maloney's 'style' is automatically 'attractive'-I've found it far from attractive watching us continually give up possession in dangerous areas because the players can't execute it properly. The pass, pass, pass stuff is in truth very boring unless you have special talents finding gaps and players constantly offering up options in good positions.

Northernhibee
10-02-2022, 10:53 AM

You can argue straight away that under difficult circumstances (yes I do agree with some of the mitigating factors) that to try and change style so dramatically mid-season is absolute suicide in itself. Just because a manager wants to do things differently it doesn't give him a free pass for everything. We've been generally horrific recently against clubs with lower resources than us. The 'style' is showing no signs of being workable in Scotland and the team look even less like scoring than before.

Let's be clear here- we could and should still be winning games with the squad we have. We need to adapt and improve quickly.

An old argument I guess but this stuff about us being "dour, counter attacking" under JR is just so lazy and really has no basis whatsoever. Also lazy to assume that Maloney's 'style' is automatically 'attractive'-I've found it far from attractive watching us continually give up possession in dangerous areas because the players can't execute it properly. The pass, pass, pass stuff is in truth very boring unless you have special talents finding gaps and players constantly offering up options in good positions.

It'd also be nice to see some sort of evidence of attractive, attacking football because if anything we've regressed. If the team's not capable of playing it at this moment in time then he needs to be pragmatic and take a couple of steps back and get us playing football we can play and coach in a new style over time.

Everything about this just now is screaming Paul Heckingbottom. He thought he could have a midfield backed up by Josh Vela and pass any team in Scotland off the park and it takes a very technically proficient and consistent players to be able to pull that off up here. Heckingbottom could be forgiven for a short length of time as he hadn't had experience of the leagues up here but the fact Maloney has played in Scotland before and is trying to do the same thing that Heckingbottom promised is, quite frankly, alarming.

I'm one for a bit of patience - my posting history will show that - but to say that I'm very concerned is an understatement.

We absolutely have to figure out how to play in a fashion that the players can win games with.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 11:09 AM

We have quite a few senior pros in the squad so overall I think the time was right to invest in potential.

My issue is with the balance of the squad - we’ve got lots of attacking options but we are so light in midfield we had to play Lewis there last night. Letting Hallberg and Gogic go without signing a replacement smacks of the naivety and arrogance Hecky showed in his summer window.

Obviously if Magennis was fit and Newell hadn’t got injured this would be less of an issue. We have strengthened at the back and on both flanks.

superfurryhibby
10-02-2022, 11:17 AM
We have quite a few senior pros in the squad so overall I think the time was right to invest in potential.

My issue is with the balance of the squad - we’ve got lots of attacking options but we are so light in midfield we had to play Lewis there last night. Letting Hallberg and Gogic go without signing a replacement smacks of the naivety and arrogance Hecky showed in his summer window.

Obviously if Magennis was fit and Newell hadn’t got injured this would be less of an issue. We have strengthened at the back and on both flanks.

I would have liked us to have complemented the signings of potential by signing a couple more established players, a central midfielder of substance and a goal scoring centre forward. Persisting with JDH and Campbell, and as you say asking Stevenson to fill in there. That is pretty shoddy.

I don't know how much this strategy is Maloney's though? He will have been made well aware of the boards direction of travel before taking the job. I strongly suspect that this was one of the main areas of disagreement between Ross and the ownership and that it made his departure inevitable.

flash
10-02-2022, 11:19 AM

I said anyone unwilling to take these factors into account is either clueless or disingenuous. I stand by that.

We were dour for long periods under JR and almost all our best performances were when Martin Boyle was firing on all cylinders.

Maloney's style isn't attractive yet as it's a work in progress which has only recently been implemented. We have seen glimpses of how it will work if he is successful. If he isn't successful he will lose his job just like every other football manager on the planet.

The new signings already look like being generally better than the players that were already here and all bring something to the team.

I agree we need to start winning games and a good time to do that would be Sunday as a defeat there will just make the atmosphere even worse.

Sir David Gray
10-02-2022, 11:34 AM
They haven’t lost at home all season..

They lost their first home league of the season to Inverness but are unbeaten at Gayfield since then except for a penalty shootout defeat v St Johnstone in the League Cup.

familyman
10-02-2022, 11:42 AM
Manager needs time but the NON SIGNING OF MIDFIELD ATTACKER AND STRIKER is a wrong ploy and someone needs to accept that responsibility ...it means we will continue to lack firepower where we need it for now.
Kevin N seems not to belt the ball but rather prod it towards goal hopefully ,confidence very low it seems to me from him,
we need far more decisive play ,players that anticipate movement andshow belief far far morethan we are showing.
Disappointing displays must cease right now.

WestCoastHibby
10-02-2022, 11:44 AM

I honestly question what % of folk on here or social media calling for a Hibs manager to be sacked after 52 days are actually Hibs fans. I smell windup merchants and pot stirrers tbh
Absolutely; unless you burn down the building most people get a three month probation in post. Give him a chance !!

A Hi-Bee
10-02-2022, 11:50 AM

He did not take over a good side he took over a very average side at best, also not so sure how much input he would have had in any of our new players.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 11:51 AM
He did not take over a good side he took over a very average side at best, also not so sure how much input he would have had in any of our new players.

Yup. Finishing third 7 months prior doesn’t mean that we remain a good side forever. We were an absolute mess when Ross left and that would have been the case whether we finished first or 11th last season.