PDA

View Full Version : Positives

bordergreen
09-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Cadden has looked really good consistently. Mitchell, Mueller, Henderson and Jasper all looked good. Some really slick play in patches. Disappointing to lose again. But some real positives in there.

The Spaceman
09-02-2022, 08:43 PM
Always a very tough game against an in-form side away. We dust ourselves down and go again.

Unseen work
09-02-2022, 08:44 PM
As much as I like Cadden I can’t help but feel he’s maybe part of the issue for the role he plays for us.

The wingbacks are high and get in really threatening positions but his final ball and lack of composure results in very little efforts in goal from his positions.

He summed it up tonight when he never squared it for Nisbet.

This is from someone that thinks he’s been really good of late and dominates his side, but going forward something needs to give.

Steve88
09-02-2022, 08:44 PM
1) Two points off 4th
2) Dundee and St Johnstone are rank rotten
3) Mueller's a player

(Season's a write off)

Nicho87
09-02-2022, 08:47 PM
Soon be renewal time big positive

thebausburst
09-02-2022, 08:48 PM
Striker wise absolutely honking, must have the worst forward line in the league surely.

LaMotta
09-02-2022, 08:49 PM
As much as I like Cadden I can’t help but feel he’s maybe part of the issue for the role he plays for us.

The wingbacks are high and get in really threatening positions but his final ball and lack of composure results in very little efforts in goal from his positions.

He summed it up tonight when he never squared it for Nisbet.

This is from someone that thinks he’s been really good of late and dominates his side, but going forward something needs to give.

:agree: Great energy, but a lack of composure and end product. One assist for the season backs that up ( although you could argue the strikers haven't helped there).

I think he has been one of our better players recently, no doubt, but that maybe says more about how poor the rest of the team have been.

Tambo
09-02-2022, 08:50 PM
Thought Henderson was poor in my opinion, never got into the game much.

A Hi-Bee
We will score another goal sometime, it stands to reason dont it?
:thumbsup:

H18 SFR
The biggest positive for me is this managerial experiment won’t last for ever.

We will get the next appointment right.

SeanWilson
09-02-2022, 08:51 PM
Cadden has looked really good consistently. Mitchell, Mueller, Henderson and Jasper all looked good. Some really slick play in patches. Disappointing to lose again. But some real positives in there.

Cadden is like watching Forrest Gump! Need to get a Q card up on the big screens to let him know what to do with it!

bigwheel
09-02-2022, 08:52 PM
We are so poor ..we now seem to have weekly “positives “ threads …

These positives listed above are just what we should expect of players . We are struggling big time . Hope we can find a way to get a few wins . Badly needed

Greenbeard
Striker wise absolutely honking, must have the worst forward line in the league surely.
And the thread title is........?

wookie70
Like the look of Mueller, not convinced with Henderson and too early to tell about Jasper and Mitchell. I can't see any way the players we have can play the system and style Maloney wants to play and it is hard to know what style we are playing at the moment.

The biggest positive is that a wee run of form could see us in Europe as we have been incredibly fortunate the way other results have went in the last month. St Johnstone and Dundee being that far behind is a massive bonus as this season is pretty reminiscent of the Fenlon/Butcher one. If they both beat us and pick up other results in the next month it could get messy very quickly

worcesterhibby

Agree, I really hope we can get Melkerson playing and scoring and McGennis back. having two players who can score goals would make a big difference, I have to say the new signing look good on the whole.

Pagan Hibernia
09-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Hearts lost

Alfred E Newman
09-02-2022, 08:54 PM
Another positive for me is that we are now another game nearer the end of the season.

Steve88
09-02-2022, 08:55 PM
And the thread title is........?

lol

You would be great on Catchphrase

Steve88
09-02-2022, 08:56 PM
Another positive for me is that we are now another game nearer the end of the season.

This.

I genuinely thought that too

loanheadhibby
We don’t have to play Huns again this season.

Since452

Exactly how I feel.

Steve88
09-02-2022, 08:57 PM

Honestly find it hilarious you posted thee most negative comment possible on this thread :faf:

Smartie
09-02-2022, 08:57 PM
Stevenson played well - gives us another option in the weakest part of our team.

Our weaknesses are becoming abundantly clear, which should make solutions easier to come by.

Tonight probably wasn’t the sort of game that makes or breaks a season - I’m still more pissed off about the state of us in our previous half dozen games than I am about tonight.

Right, where’s the “negatives” thread…

1875Sean
09-02-2022, 08:58 PM
Didn’t lay a glove on them, not a positive from today, 4 points away from 10th place

bod
09-02-2022, 08:58 PM
The biggest positive for me is this managerial experiment won’t last for ever.

We will get the next appointment right.

Every appointment is an experiment only some last seasons not games

Steve88
09-02-2022, 08:59 PM
Stevenson played well - gives us another option in the weakest part of our team.

Our weaknesses are becoming abundantly clear, which should make solutions easier to come by.

Tonight probably wasn’t the sort of game that makes or breaks a season - I’m still more pissed off about the state of us in our previous half dozen games than I am about tonight.

Right, where’s the “negatives” thread…

Don't worry, once we get to page 2 this'll turn dark as Fc*k and everyone will forget the title of the thread

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 09:00 PM
If we are all honest the one and only positive was that the huns never got out first gear and we never got smashed.

Glory Lurker
09-02-2022, 09:00 PM
Despite everything we can be confident “We Are the Champions” will be belted out from ER in May.

noz
09-02-2022, 09:01 PM

now thats funny…. 😄

Stubbsy90+2
09-02-2022, 09:01 PM
The new signings all look improvements on a lot of the crap we were left with to varying degrees

Itsnoteasy
09-02-2022, 09:02 PM
Hearts lost

And still 12 points ahead of us.

Cookiehibs
09-02-2022, 09:04 PM
1. Thank god that game is out the way and we only lost by 2
2. Mueller and Jasper look better than average
3. Jambos have shipped 7 goals in two games

Pagan Hibernia
09-02-2022, 09:07 PM
And still 12 points ahead of us.

:greengrin Now don’t you go bursting my bubble

JohnM1875
09-02-2022, 09:08 PM
:agree: Great energy, but a lack of composure and end product. One assist for the season backs that up ( although you could argue the strikers haven't helped there).

I think he has been one of our better players recently, no doubt, but that maybe says more about how poor the rest of the team have been.

If our strikers had a brain between them he'd be on double figures for assists this season. Cadden is the very least of our problems.

Musselbound
09-02-2022, 09:11 PM
Honestly find it hilarious you posted thee most negative comment possible on this thread :faf:

Hard to argue with it at the moment tho.

B.H.F.C
09-02-2022, 09:12 PM
The only positive is we are two points of a European place.

Steve88
09-02-2022, 09:25 PM
Hard to argue with it at the moment tho.

I don't disagree but I'm also just waiting for this place to explode because of it..:cb

09-02-2022, 09:30 PM
We will score another goal sometime, it stands to reason dont it?
:thumbsup:

Maybe we should do something to help.

https://youtu.be/YBPYHAI4pqA

LaMotta
09-02-2022, 10:16 PM
If our strikers had a brain between them he'd be on double figures for assists this season. Cadden is the very least of our problems.

I've quite clearly said he's been one of our better players so the "least of our problems" comment is strange. I also said the strikers could be partially to blame.

But whilst Cadden gets into good positions, he far too often fails to find a Hibs player - firing a ball into the box is not a good ball if there isn't a player there. Tonight he had the perfect chance to square the ball to a striker in a great position and he chose the wrong option again. No wonder he got pelters after that from Nisbet. There's no chance though that the strikers are to blame for him not having double figures in assists.

Carheenlea
09-02-2022, 11:26 PM
Watched a suited Rangers fan step in a puddle on the road after game that was considerably deeper than what he probably anticipated.

Chorley Hibee
09-02-2022, 11:32 PM
Watched a suited Rangers fan step in a puddle on the road after game that was considerably deeper than what he probably anticipated.

Now I wish I'd seen this! 🤣

Unseen work
10-02-2022, 01:26 AM
A positive for me was that he changed from his 343 to 433/4231.

Not saying he should have, but the fact he’s willing to change and adapt is a good thing.

I do feel for Maloney with the amount of bad luck he’s had since he’s came in

Boyle - sold
Magennis - Injured again
Hanlon - injured
McGinn - injured
Macey - injured (although Dabrowski done brilliant)
Porteous & McGinn - suspended
Doig - injured
Clarke - injured
Newell - injured

He’s had alot of reshuffling to do in key areas. Would love to see what he’d have us like in a consistent team with our most important players available

SteveHFC
10-02-2022, 01:54 AM
This is how 2022 has gone so far for Aberdeen, Hibs and Motherwell in the cinch Premiership. Remember, they were all in the top six:

Played 17
Won 0
Drawn 6
Lost 11
Goals scored 8
Goals against 28

One game played amongst them. A 0-0 draw between Hibs and Motherwell at Fir Park.

Scooter
10-02-2022, 04:50 AM
Biggest positive would be Chris Mueller and to be fair the players that we have seen that Shaun has brought it look like they are decent/potentially good players. But I think Chris Mueller has something about him he should start every game

Since452
10-02-2022, 05:23 AM

Not saying he should have, but the fact he’s willing to change and adapt is a good thing.

Boyle - sold
Magennis - Injured again
Hanlon - injured
McGinn - injured
Doig - injured
Clarke - injured
Newell - injured

He’s had alot of reshuffling to do in key areas. Would love to see what he’d have us like in a consistent team with our most important players available

We've been crucified with injuries all season. Our previous manager had that and also had to get us through a Covid period, unable to field a team and the aftermath. Horrendous luck this season.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 07:25 AM

Boyle - sold
Magennis - Injured again
Hanlon - injured
McGinn - injured
Doig - injured
Clarke - injured
Newell - injured

Losing Boyle has absolutely done us. We were a one man team with him and he absolutely dragged us to third last season and is the sole reason we’re not in line to get relegated this season. Everybody knew it and now that he’s gone it shows.

He was the best player outside the OF by a country mile and was never going to be able to be replaced. The minute he left we were on a hiding to nothing and it’ll take at least another window to get this squad up to any sort of decent standard.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2022, 10:02 AM
Losing Boyle has absolutely done us. We were a one man team with him and he absolutely dragged us to third last season and is the sole reason we’re not in line to get relegated this season. Everybody knew it and now that he’s gone it shows.

He was the best player outside the OF by a country mile and was never going to be able to be replaced. The minute he left we were on a hiding to nothing and it’ll take at least another window to get this squad up to any sort of decent standard.

He did not drag us to 3rd. That's not true whatsoever.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 10:09 AM

Imo he did.

heretoday
10-02-2022, 11:37 AM

Agree. People seem to forget the frustrating performances he often put in.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 11:40 AM

Boyle scored 29 goals in a season and a half. He probably had about another 20 assists on top of that.

As a winger, that’s almost unheard of in Scotland. Just because he didn’t perform or score absolutely every single game it doesn’t mean he didn’t drag us to third. We wouldn’t have been top 6 last season without him imo. I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a Hibs team rely on one player so much as we relied on Boyle for the past 18 months bar the Griffiths team.

Stevie Reid
10-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Imo he did.

He absolutely did not. There were lots of positive contributions, Nisbet was our top scorer and Doidge scored as many as Boyle. Of course Boyle is a more creative player than those two, and he did create a lot last year.

However, it's easy to forget that after scoring two goals on the opening day of last season, he then scored once in his next 19 games. By the end of January he'd scored five, and then a superb end to the season saw him finish on 15 goals, and a decent number of assists.

There was loads of talk on here that after he'd signed that new contract last summer (with the buyout clause) that he was completely off it - take a look at this thread:

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?348985-Boyle&highlight=martin+boyle

There were plenty of others too, with titles such as 'What's up with Martin Boyle?'. I know it's a common thing on here for posters to diminish the achievements of managers they don't like by attributing their success to one player (Lennon and McGinn, for example), but we had a front three that scored over 50 goals between them last year. Two of them are still here.

Of course, Nisbet hasn't had a good season, and Doidge has been injured, whilst Boyle was in amazing form (though I'm surprised to see that he didn't score in any of his last ten games for us) - he was always going to be a huge loss for us, and therefore a big disadvantage to Maloney. But his loss alone is no excuse for our current predicament, just like he alone did not drag us to third last year.

500miles
10-02-2022, 11:47 AM
The new signings all look improvements on a lot of the crap we were left with to varying degrees

Yet they finished 3rd, and this lot don't have a league win to thier name.

Stubbsy90+2
10-02-2022, 11:49 AM
Yet they finished 3rd, and this lot don't have a league win to thier name.

They did. That’s in the past though. They’re not third now and haven’t looked good enough for third for about 6 months. Therefore the new guys look an improvement.

Shefki Kuqi played for Newcastle. He was terrible for Hibs though. Past achievements can’t live on forever. Football is about the here and now and the players that are hanging around the squad that were recruited when Ross was manager are by and large, absolutely dreadful.

LaMotta
10-02-2022, 01:02 PM

Even when he did put in a frustrating performance he still was valuable to the team in terms of offering an out ball, carrying the ball up the pitch and also winning numerous fouls, getting opposition players carded.

I think these benefits were often overlooked in assessments of him when he was deemed to have had a poor game.

jacomo
10-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Even when he did put in a frustrating performance he still was valuable to the team in terms of offering an out ball, carrying the ball up the pitch and also winning numerous fouls, getting opposition players carded.

I think these benefits were often overlooked in assessments of him when he was deemed to have had a poor game.

Absolutely - our last league game v Sevco, for example, when Boyle didn’t score but he was a worry for them all game, to the point that Morelos was subbed off because he wasn’t getting any service.

However, on a positive… we signed a direct replacement for our most valuable player in the same window, which doesn’t always happen!

Jasper isn’t exactly the same as Squirrel but he is a quick and direct winger with potential.

ahibby
10-02-2022, 06:41 PM
We will have a very strong run towards the end of the season so strong the OF will find us a handfull.

loanheadhibby
11-02-2022, 08:38 PM
We will have a very strong run towards the end of the season so strong the OF will find us a handfull.
I take it you are kidding?

The Modfather
11-02-2022, 09:06 PM

I don’t think he dragged us to 3rd last season but do feel we were the Martin Boyle team this season and nothing else.

TObeachesHibby
12-02-2022, 05:41 AM
there is no positive. Not scoring goals and even looking like doing so is basic. Need 2 up front from the start as there is less service with Boyle gone. Nisbet cannot do it himself and Doidge is not contributing .The game changes when who scores first - time for Maloney to realise that.

ahibby
12-02-2022, 03:38 PM
I take it you are kidding?

Mibbies aye mibbies naw.

degenerated
13-02-2022, 07:36 AM
Imo he did.How many of the games did he play in that horrendous run that got Ross sacked?