PDA

View Full Version : In The Minority?

Key West
06-02-2022, 08:16 AM
Am I in the minority in thinking that the style of football we are trying to develop will make us a much better and more consistent team in the long term?

Playing from the back, playing with decent width on both flanks giving youngsters a real chance in terms of fulfilling their aims, eventually turning us into a solid top 4 outfit.

I dont think so and hope not.

Jones28
06-02-2022, 08:19 AM
No. 100% on board with the ideas, but for me at this point in time it’s clear we don’t have players with the right skill set to play that way.

Surely what we’re trying to do is play the Hibs way? Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that what everyone thinks the Hibs way is? Ball on the deck, build from the back with pace football?

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 08:21 AM
It's all well and good having these long term plans, I agree there appears to be many good ideas and long term it might work out.

If we continue to get beat every week in the short term, it will not get a chance to happen, though. A football manager, especially one appointed mid season needs to focus short term and win matches.

Crunchie
06-02-2022, 08:24 AM
It's all well and good having these long term plans, I agree there appears to be many good ideas and long term it might work out.

If we continue to get beat every week in the short term, it will not get a chance to happen, though. A football manager, especially one appointed mid season needs to focus short term and win matches.
The sacking of Ross reiterates my view that Hibs fans will never accept anything long plan.

The Modfather
06-02-2022, 08:28 AM
Am I in the minority in thinking that the style of football we are trying to develop will make us a much better and more consistent team in the long term?

Playing from the back, playing with decent width on both flanks giving youngsters a real chance in terms of fulfilling their aims, eventually turning us into a solid top 4 outfit.

I agree with what a lot of what you say. However I think we all agreed with Collins outlook on football and lifestyle, yet he wasn’t able to implement it successfully. I think this will be the makings of Maloney and whether he is cut out to be a manager or “just” a good coach.

He’s learning on the job, which is fine as that’s what we hired. However his real acid test will be whether he’s inflexible and too wedded to his ideas. Or whether he can take a short term pragmatic view to get the best out of what he has and then look to recruit the types of players he needs in the summer.

I fear he’s been moulded by someone in Martinez who is a good coach/Manager but possibly too inflexible and idealistic. However I think those willing to have an open mind about Maloney and give him time can also have questions about the here and now. Too many posters had already made their mind up because they didn’t want Ross sacked so have been entrenched from the start.

Mike Berry
06-02-2022, 08:29 AM

I dont think so and hope not.I think you've got a point, but I just wonder whether it's wise the try to make such a fundamental switch un playing style mid-season. Perhaps he should have waited to get a full preseason in the summer. In the first 2 or 3 games there were just a couple of tweaks that worked well (such as having the wide players hugging the touchline) and maybe he should have left it at that for this season, and done the rest in the summer?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

AgentDaleCooper
06-02-2022, 08:30 AM
The sacking of Ross reiterates my view that Hibs fans will never accept anything long plan.

Totally agree - i wish JR was still our manager, but given the hand we have basically dealt ourselves, maloney needs time to prove himself. Losing the dressing room or staring relegation in the face are the only things that would make his position untenable this season.

jacomo
06-02-2022, 08:37 AM

There are a few big questions for me:

1. Are we trying to play possession football? If so why are we not keeping possession?

2. Why is Nesbit coming so deep into midfield and also tasked with being our centre forward? He can’t do both.

3. Why are we so short of options in midfield? I was never Hallberg’s biggest fan but I’ve had him instead of Campbell in midfield yesterday… but he’s gone and we didn’t sign a replacement.

In short, I’m not sure what it is we are trying to do.

Sir David Gray
06-02-2022, 08:39 AM

I'm sure there are plans in place to develop a style of play and longer term it may eventually work.

However football management is very much geared up for short term instant results these days and Maloney doesn't have the players to play the way he wants them to. Continuing to play this way will ultimately get him the sack and therefore it doesn't really matter what the longer term plan is.

He needs to figure out a way to play in the short term which delivers results now, not in 1-2 years down the line as he won't get that long if results don't improve.

OldEast
06-02-2022, 08:52 AM

You may well be in the minority as this board and dropping numbers at the games possibly suggest. Doesn't mean you're wrong though. I don't see a huge change until after the summer window. The young boys will help with their undoubted skill and enthusiasm but we're carrying too many who are just not good enough to comfortably carry out what Maloney wants them to do. He needs to understand this and shelve the "new way" until he has the team capable of doing it.
This season is probably a write off for a European place but relegation isn't going to happen either. To call for him to be sacked already is total madness in my opinion as good times will come.

Edit, for those who say how long do we wait my answer would be 10 games into next season. If he has his own players and it's still not working then maybe he's not the man.

Key West
06-02-2022, 08:56 AM
All of the responses are helpful and constructive, the comparison with Collins is an interesting one though he left because of a lack of funds which didn't really help matters.For me Ron Gordon will be aware though that quality comes at a price and for us to be better than the opposition we need a few to make the difference that Boyle eventually made. In saying that we might already have them, time will tell.

Dashing Bob S
06-02-2022, 09:00 AM
No. 100% on board with the ideas, but for me at this point in time it’s clear we don’t have players with the right skill set to play that way.

Surely what we’re trying to do is play the Hibs way? Forgive me if I’m wrong, but isn’t that what everyone thinks the Hibs way is? Ball on the deck, build from the back with pace football?

I think the danger is in your first sentence. In the modern game and given the culture and economics of Scottish football, I wonder if it’s feasible in such an environment to even attempt such a style of play. Unfortunately things have changed since Famous Five/Turnbull’s Tornadoes/McLeish/Mowbray days and I wonder if we can attract viable personnel to play the sort of stuff we crave.

DIXIHIBS
06-02-2022, 09:01 AM

Sadly i think you are in the minority. How many actually even bothered going yesterday...8000 maybe? That is a huge drop in support which tells you everything you need to know. I dont think we are too far away at times. If we had decent poacher we would be scoring goals. The last few games have seen a lot of decent balls into the box but nobody there to finish it off. Unfortunately if we continue dropping points the negativity will get worse making a terrible atmosphere at games and Maloney's position impossible.

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2022, 09:04 AM

We seem to be making a huge deal about this different style of football.

I don't get it.

Most teams play different styles in different games, sometimes many styles in the same game when things need changed.

It's a line that we've lapped up. Basically saying give me time until I try and figure this out!!

The Spaceman
06-02-2022, 09:06 AM
I’m with you on this. Projects such as Maloney require a good amount of time. I’d rather he was given time to get the players in he wants for his system and it’s the summer window in which he will do this. We have not benefitted as a club from having a managerial merry go round for decades now.

Unfortunately, some lower IQ supporters will give any manager about 1.5 games until they’ve made their mind up.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 09:10 AM
I’m with you on this. Projects such as Maloney require a good amount of time. I’d rather he was given time to get the players in he wants for his system and it’s the summer window in which he will do this. We have not benefitted as a club from having a managerial merry go round for decades now.

Unfortunately, some lower IQ supporters will give any manager about 1.5 games until they’ve made their mind up.

:faf: lower IQ supporters. Behave yourself.

What if he gets time and he is still losing to St Mirren and Livi at home? Thats the problem. Just because you give a manager time, does not mean he will be good.

Paul1642
06-02-2022, 09:11 AM
I agree with what a lot of what you say. However I think we all agreed with Collins outlook on football and lifestyle, yet he wasn’t able to implement it successfully. I think this will be the makings of Maloney and whether he is cut out to be a manager or “just” a good coach.

He’s learning on the job, which is fine as that’s what we hired. However his real acid test will be whether he’s inflexible and too wedded to his ideas. Or whether he can take a short term pragmatic view to get the best out of what he has and then look to recruit the types of players he needs in the summer.

I fear he’s been moulded by someone in Martinez who is a good coach/Manager but possibly too inflexible and idealistic. However I think those willing to have an open mind about Maloney and give him time can also have questions about the here and now. Too many posters had already made their mind up because they didn’t want Ross sacked so have been entrenched from the start.

My memory of it might be a bit off but I seem to recall Collins being great for a while until he lost the dressing room and his signings turning out to be poor.

No parallel to be drawn really because Maloney has not gotten of to a remotely good start.

GoalsMcGinley
06-02-2022, 09:14 AM
Shaun Maloney knows the limitations of the players he has. He knows what areas need to be improved on to make his system work. Of the starting XI yesterday only 2 were not signed under JR or his predecessors. The time to judge Maloney will be this time next year after a pre season and a further 2 windows.

The majority who want him out are the ones who want him to fail because their beloved Jack Ross got the elbow.

If you genuinely think we would be in a better position now in Ross you’re either deluded or should go watch a different sport because football isn’t for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key West
06-02-2022, 09:17 AM
We seem to be making a huge deal about this different style of football.

I don't get it.

Most teams play different styles in different games, sometimes many styles in the same game when things need changed.

It's a line that we've lapped up. Basically saying give me time until I try and figure this out!!

To a certain degree I agree that styles and formations are adaptable within a game but goals can put a completely different complexion on the details, our biggest problem has been one striker trying to find match fitness and sharpness the other trying to recapture form and losing a player of quality in Boyle.
Our situation is always looked at differently when our main rivals are doing well, interestingly their home form has been better in their bid to be best of the rest, their away form not so flattering.
I don’t think asking for time is too much to ask, very few go into a job and are excellent from the start, most EPL teams got hammered for trying to play the Barcelona way from the back, Liverpool were criticised for their high tempo game which originally saw them draw matches when they ran out of steam, over a period of time all of this saw an improvement, it doesn’t happen overnight, only my opinion.

Tully
06-02-2022, 09:18 AM
Maybe if players stopped making stupid individual mistakes,Campbell and jdh dilly Dalling on the ball have cost us dearly, strikers also missing chance after chance, maloney needs to get a settled team drop the deadwood permanently and trust the youngsters who are constantly overlooked even when they're doing well,other teams can do it why can't hibs,you never no it might work

Nicho87
06-02-2022, 09:23 AM
We’re mustering 1 point out of 9 in a week

Against teams we should expect to getting at least 7/9, derby is a derby

We have the old firm in the next four.

Top 6 imho looks a struggle.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 09:30 AM
Shaun Maloney knows the limitations of the players he has. He knows what areas need to be improved on to make his system work. Of the starting XI yesterday only 2 were not signed under JR or his predecessors. The time to judge Maloney will be this time next year after a pre season and a further 2 windows.

The majority who want him out are the ones who want him to fail because their beloved Jack Ross got the elbow.

If you genuinely think we would be in a better position now in Ross you’re either deluded or should go watch a different sport because football isn’t for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on mate, its a perfectly fair to say Ross might've got more than 1 point from the past 3 games. I certainly think he would've. He won his last 2 matches vs Livi at ER, and got 4 points from the previous 2 vs St Mirren at Easter road, with this apparently awful terrible squad that needs totally rebuilt.

I'm yet to have someone explain to me why Ross didn't deserve time to turn it around, but Shaun does. Shaun deserves over a year to get his ideas across, but Ross, who had us 3rd and in 2 finals, deserved to be punted after a couple of rough months?

Why is Shaun unable to impliment a system that suits our current players? Why does he only have 1 tactic and he must have 11 perfect players to win matches? Why was Ross able to get more from Heckys squad and Maloney is getting from Rosses squad?

Eyrie
06-02-2022, 09:30 AM

After 1.5 games (Aberdeen and Dundee United), Maloney would have had a contract for life.

Fortunately most of us are waiting to make our minds up, but would like to see some positives to help us decide.

Since452
06-02-2022, 09:33 AM
After 1.5 games (Aberdeen and Dundee United), Maloney would have had a contract for life.

Fortunately most of us are waiting to make our minds up, but would like to see some positives to help us decide.

The worrying thing about that is that was before he had a transfer window and the winter break to work with his players.

Steve88
06-02-2022, 09:37 AM
On another day we could of won that 4 or 5-1

Prior to the hearts game, I was disillusioned, very frustrated with Hibs.

Even after yesterdays game my uncle and I left the game with the same view - You can see were almost there. Put a good/confident striker (Merlkerson/nisbet) on the end of those chances and we're going to score a number of goals.

Throw in KM IF fully fit into central midfield to offer more drive/variation

Plus, we've still got some good impact subs.

I really think this team is a very capable team..

SMAXXA
06-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Possibly in the minority but it doesn’t make you wrong 👍

HappyAsHellas
06-02-2022, 09:49 AM
I think the most important fact about Hibs just now is how much we miss Boyle. The most worrying aspect is the number of good balls Cadden gets into the box yet no one seems capable of understanding what he's going to do and therefore we fail to score. I think under Maloney we are creating more chances but fail to take them. St Mirrens goalie had a blinder yesterday and these things happen in football. The failure to score gets put at the managers door, but maybe he's trying to instill some confidence in our forwards by continually picking them instead of dropping them. He's limited on choices for these positions at present I admit. It's easy to see we're trying things differently and I hope it comes to fruition for obvious reasons. I think we're just missing that little bit of luck at the moment, but the hysteria going about online is pathetic at best, and helps no one.

Jones28
06-02-2022, 09:56 AM
I think the most important fact about Hibs just now is how much we miss Boyle. The most worrying aspect is the number of good balls Cadden gets into the box yet no one seems capable of understanding what he's going to do and therefore we fail to score. I think under Maloney we are creating more chances but fail to take them. St Mirrens goalie had a blinder yesterday and these things happen in football. The failure to score gets put at the managers door, but maybe he's trying to instill some confidence in our forwards by continually picking them instead of dropping them. He's limited on choices for these positions at present I admit. It's easy to see we're trying things differently and I hope it comes to fruition for obvious reasons. I think we're just missing that little bit of luck at the moment, but the hysteria going about online is pathetic at best, and helps no one.

We might miss Boyle, but yesterday we should have had 3/4 goals.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2022, 09:58 AM

It's not just Hibs supporters. That Celtc mob were calling for their new manager at the start of the season. They're now top.

Football fans are not known for their resilience.

HappyAsHellas
06-02-2022, 09:59 AM
We might miss Boyle, but yesterday we should have had 3/4 goals.

I agree, but can't understand why some want to blame Maloney for it. Had we won 4 - 1 the usual suspects wouldn't have typed a single word.

BlackSheep
06-02-2022, 10:04 AM
Always the Hibs fans way.... negative, negative, negative!

Give the team a chance to knit.... if what Maloney wants to play like clicks and we start winning then all this negative chat will be gone, thankfully!

We have seen it in spells so far, unfortunately not consistently enough, but thats not to say it won't happen.

Maloney has been in 8 weeks..... and to be fair to him im pretty sure his remit wasn't to steady the ship.... it will have been to create something.

06-02-2022, 10:07 AM
On another day we could of won that 4 or 5-1

Prior to the hearts game, I was disillusioned, very frustrated with Hibs.

Even after yesterdays game my uncle and I left the game with the same view - You can see were almost there. Put a good/confident striker (Merlkerson/nisbet) on the end of those chances and we're going to score a number of goals.

Throw in KM IF fully fit into central midfield to offer more drive/variation

Plus, we've still got some good impact subs.

I really think this team is a very capable team..

Hit the nail on the head. A decent striker and an experienced centre mid to drive us forward are needed. We didn’t appear to have these are priorities in the January window. (obviously I don’t know for sure if that is the case but it certainly didn’t happen).
In today’ Sunday Post Robert Snodgrass has written a come and get me type article where he wants to join a team and use his experience to help younger team members achieve success. Sounds to me just what our midfield requires.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 10:08 AM
I agree, but can't understand why some want to blame Maloney for it. Had we won 4 - 1 the usual suspects wouldn't have typed a single word.

Well yes, obviously. If we'd have won I'd be delighted. We did not win. We lost. Again.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 10:08 AM

You're probably right. This season is going to be a work in progress as it's a big change and there will be some players who don't suit it or take longer to adapt. And we're still to see Harry Clarke and the two Vikings.

The league is actually that ****, like last year, we can still walk away with a European place. If Hearts didn't have Gordon, they'd probs still be third but it would be closer.

It's important to remember that social media can sometimes be an echo chamber, so when we lose generally the same supporters will post and others will stay away cause they can't be arsed with it.

But a boo at the final whistle doesn't necessarily mean folk think the gaffer is done already etc. It used to be you'd have a rant on the bus home or over a pint but now you can air your grievances to a wider audience straight away.

To be clear, I'm not having a go at the folk who do, but it's important to remember the context.

BlackSheep
06-02-2022, 10:10 AM
Jack Wilshere and Lewis MacLeod are free agents.... as well as Snodgrass.

Folk saying Snodgrass is a winger yada yada yada.... he isn experienced professional footballer, im pretty sure he can play across the midfield! I doubt it will ever happen but there are options out there!

Key West
06-02-2022, 10:12 AM
You're probably right. This season is going to be a work in progress as it's a big change and there will be some players who don't suit it or take longer to adapt. And we're still to see Harry Clarke and the two Vikings.

The league is actually that ****, like last year, we can still walk away with a European place. If Hearts didn't have Gordon, they'd probs still be third but it would be closer.

It's important to remember that social media can sometimes be an echo chamber, so when we lose generally the same supporters will post and others will stay away cause they can't be arsed with it.

But a boo at the final whistle doesn't necessarily mean folk think the gaffer is done already etc. It used to be you'd have a rant on the bus home or over a pint but now you can air your grievances to a wider audience straight away.

To be clear, I'm not having a go at the folk who do, but it's important to remember the context.

And Magennis to return, context is the key.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 10:19 AM

Been saying that for months and we still don’t know when it’s going to happen. Then we’ll have the whole ‘needs time’ stuff and before we know it the season will be finished.

We had the same with Doidge earlier in the season, being told he’d make a big difference. Been back for the best part of three months, still miles off it and we’re still short in that position.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 10:27 AM

100%. And Magennis might not be the answer and we bring someone else in. Newell actually did it well against Hearts in the first half on Tuesday.

The style Maloney is trying to bring in is a bit 'un-Scottish'. The emphasis from a lot of teams and, shouts from fans, can be to get it up the park quickly. I think the last time we tried that was under Butcher.

It's a quick game in Scotland, you get closed down very quickly, so players need to learn the new style with that in mind. And to be fair, we have conceded because they aren't all there yet. But you could say that style of play is obsolete outside the UK.

If I was to be an optimist, I'd say this style will serve us well when we go into European competition, and being an optimist, you have to be as a Hibs fan! I think we will have that next season.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 10:30 AM
Been saying that for months and we still don’t know when it’s going to happen. Then we’ll have the whole ‘needs time’ stuff and before we know it the season will be finished.

We had the same with Doidge earlier in the season, being told he’d make a big difference. Been back for the best part of three months, still miles off it and we’re still short in that position.

I think that might be the point though, we might have to take a hit this season. Fortunately it's a fairly poor league so we'll probs be in the running throughout!

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 10:38 AM
I think that might be the point though, we might have to take a hit this season. Fortunately it's a fairly poor league so we'll probs be in the running throughout!

We’ve just had a month to do something about our issues and haven’t. If they’re prepared to write off half a season or whatever then the biggest hit they’ll take will be when they’re looking for season ticket money.

I find it all a bit odd because it’s not as if we’re not spending money, we just don’t appear to be spending it very well.

06-02-2022, 10:41 AM
Hit the nail on the head. A decent striker and an experienced centre mid to drive us forward are needed. We didn’t appear to have these are priorities in the January window. (obviously I don’t know for sure if that is the case but it certainly didn’t happen).
In today’ Sunday Post Robert Snodgrass has written a come and get me type article where he wants to join a team and use his experience to help younger team members achieve success. Sounds to me just what our midfield requires.

Here's hoping we're one of the clubs in for him and we manage to get him.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 10:47 AM
We’ve just had a month to do something about our issues and haven’t. If they’re prepared to write off half a season or whatever then the biggest hit they’ll take will be when they’re looking for season ticket money.

I find it all a bit odd because it’s not as if we’re not spending money, we just don’t appear to be spending it very well.

A month is not a long time in football terms, O'Neill lost his first dozen NI game or something, look at Klopp's record when he first came into Liverpool.

I'd disagree about the spending well bit, the guys who have joined recently pretty much all look promising.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 10:56 AM
A month is not a long time in football terms, O'Neill lost his first dozen NI game or something, look at Klopp's record when he first came into Liverpool.

I'd disagree about the spending well bit, the guys who have joined recently pretty much all look promising.

Klopp beat City 4-1 away, and Chelsea 3-1 away in his first 5 games. Draw at Spurs as well. He also got them to the Europa league final.

06-02-2022, 10:59 AM

I agree but people look at the Celtic Japanese players who have made an immediate impact and irrationally expect our new players to do the same when realistically our players are not on the same level as their's. When we are paying 10 times our current wages and buying multi million pound players, maybe then can we expect similar.

Steve88
06-02-2022, 11:00 AM
Plan:

4th place gets us into the EUROPA Conference league, we're 2 points off that.

Nail 4th place this year.

Fully fit quad by summer plus 2/3 high quality signings.

Blast our way to the EUROPA Conference league group stages

:cb

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 11:09 AM
I agree but people look at the Celtic Japanese players who have made an immediate impact and irrationally expect our new players to do the same when realistically our players are not on the same level as their's. When we are paying 10 times our current wages and buying multi million pound players, maybe then can we expect similar.

Yep and of those, one is injured and could be out a while, and the jury is out on another couple still. Although Hatate may well be the best player in the country! But shows even for all that it can be a mixed bag.

Celtic is a good example though, Postecoglou had a slow start in the summer.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 11:12 AM
Klopp beat City 4-1 away, and Chelsea 3-1 away in his first 5 games. Draw at Spurs as well. He also got them to the Europa league final.

Also lost to Southampton, Swansea, West Ham, Man U, Watford, Newcastle in the wider season and Liverpool finished 8th.

JohnMcM
06-02-2022, 11:16 AM

If you (and what appears to be many more of us) make up the minority as of today, then fine, it doesn’t necessarily mean we are incorrect. Time will tell.

Green_one
06-02-2022, 11:16 AM
Managers need to win with the players they HAVE, not the players they may or may not get

I spent much of the first half watching a team struggling to get away from their 25 yard line Endless and risky passing. I thought St Mirren and Livi were worth their wins. Did not feel robbed.

Blaming fans and expecting large amounts of time are unrealistic and counter productive tactics. We have better players than all but the top 3. Use them to win!

wandering_hibee
06-02-2022, 11:22 AM
I watched my first "live" game v Livingston last week and came away optimistic for the future. There is a definite change in style, which is a long term development and some of our current players are more comfortable with that than others but over the next 12 months I think we are going to become a very good team with the new crop of "youngsters" that have been recruited fitting into the new system.

My thoughts are that Sean has sold Ron a long term vision and as long as we don't go down this season then Ron will be okay with that because a long term move towards playing at a higher level and so consistently achieving higher position in the league and consistently playing in Europe is far better than our normal highs and lows with occasional cup wins / 3rd or 4th finish/ European sojourn being interspersed with flirting with relegation and even dropping down to the Championship. Ron as a successful businessman understands that he might need to endure some short term pain for long term gain, which equals a successful team consistently competing for the top 3 places, consistently in Europe and winning trophies more regularly than we do now.

I didn't see anything yesterday that changes my mind that we are going in the right direction, yes we need a couple of better CM's than those on the park yesterday and of course we need to put away some of the chances that we made but the team is adapting and will get more confidence and we will turn this around.

I for one will be looking forward to the rest of the season with some apprehension and probably looking through closed eyes at some points but next year I think we will see what SM is striving to achieve and that I believe will be a successful team that regularly beats most teams in Scotland.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2022, 11:23 AM

Maloney's first 5 games gave us 3 wins and a draw with one loss to Celtc.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 11:27 AM
I watched my first "live" game v Livingston last week and came away optimistic for the future. There is a definite change in style, which is a long term development and some of our current players are more comfortable with that than others but over the next 12 months I think we are going to become a very good team with the new crop of "youngsters" that have been recruited fitting into the new system.

My thoughts are that Sean has sold Ron a long term vision and as long as we don't go down this season then Ron will be okay with that because a long term move towards playing at a higher level and so consistently achieving higher position in the league and consistently playing in Europe is far better than our normal highs and lows with occasional cup wins / 3rd or 4th finish/ European sojourn being interspersed with flirting with relegation and even dropping down to the Championship. Ron as a successful businessman understands that he might need to endure some short term pain for long term gain, which equals a successful team consistently competing for the top 3 places, consistently in Europe and winning trophies more regularly than we do now.

I didn't see anything yesterday that changes my mind that we are going in the right direction, yes we need a couple of better CM's than those on the park yesterday and of course we need to put away some of the chances that we made but the team is adapting and will get more confidence and we will turn this around.

I for one will be looking forward to the rest of the season with some apprehension and probably looking through closed eyes at some points but next year I think we will see what SM is striving to achieve and that I believe will be a successful team that regularly beats most teams in Scotland.

Dunno mate, that sounds too logical and full of reason.

I think we need Yogi in charge and Deek and Griffiths up top now. They could still do a job.

wandering_hibee
06-02-2022, 11:41 AM
Dunno mate, that sounds too logical and full of reason.

I think we need Yogi in charge and Deek and Griffiths up top now. They could still do a job.:tee hee::tee hee: Thankfully not.

Just need to block out the moaning and the boos. Will bring some ear plugs next time.

Alfred E Newman
06-02-2022, 11:45 AM

If only all the supporters were as clever as you .

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 11:48 AM
Maloney's first 5 games gave us 3 wins and a draw with one loss to Celtc.That is true, yes. He didn't start badly. This has been a horrendous week, though, no doubting that.

Also lost to Southampton, Swansea, West Ham, Man U, Watford, Newcastle in the wider season and Liverpool finished 8th.

Yeah, thats true. Although they clearly sacrificed the league to focus on the Europa, which offered a CL place.

The difference is, Klopp was a proven manager. About as sure as Liverpool could get to ensuring success was trusting him. He had a brilliant record before Liverpool. Every club wanted him.

There is as much chance of Shaun being a disaster as a success, regardless of time we give him.

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 01:27 PM
That is true, yes. He didn't start badly. This has been a horrendous week, though, no doubting that.

Yeah, thats true. Although they clearly sacrificed the league to focus on the Europa, which offered a CL place.

The difference is, Klopp was a proven manager. About as sure as Liverpool could get to ensuring success was trusting him. He had a brilliant record before Liverpool. Every club wanted him.

There is as much chance of Shaun being a disaster as a success, regardless of time we give him.

Although you could say then, if a proven manager like Klopp can have a bad season, maybe a rookie should also be goven time as it can happen to anyone.

shetlandhibee
06-02-2022, 01:36 PM
Come on mate, its a perfectly fair to say Ross might've got more than 1 point from the past 3 games. I certainly think he would've. He won his last 2 matches vs Livi at ER, and got 4 points from the previous 2 vs St Mirren at Easter road, with this apparently awful terrible squad that needs totally rebuilt.

I'm yet to have someone explain to me why Ross didn't deserve time to turn it around, but Shaun does. Shaun deserves over a year to get his ideas across, but Ross, who had us 3rd and in 2 finals, deserved to be punted after a couple of rough months?

Why is Shaun unable to impliment a system that suits our current players? Why does he only have 1 tactic and he must have 11 perfect players to win matches? Why was Ross able to get more from Heckys squad and Maloney is getting from Rosses squad? Well said good post :top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

The Modfather
06-02-2022, 01:42 PM

Why is Shaun unable to impliment a system that suits our current players? Why does he only have 1 tactic and he must have 11 perfect players to win matches? Why was Ross able to get more from Heckys squad and Maloney is getting from Rosses squad?

Martin Boyle

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 01:47 PM
Martin Boyle

If only it was that simple. Ross simply done better with what he had, thats it. Doidge, Allan and Newell were all brilliant then.

Key West
06-02-2022, 01:51 PM
Boyle on more than one occasion separated us from the rest.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 01:55 PM
Boyle on more than one occasion separated us from the rest.

Of course, but we're not playing with 10 men now. Boyle was a great player, but he wasn't doing it on his own. There is quality there. Doidge and Nisbet should be able to score enough goals to be firing us up the league.

Key West
06-02-2022, 01:56 PM
Of course, but we're not playing with 10 men now. Boyle was a great player, but he wasn't doing it on his own. There is quality there. Doidge and Nisbet should be able to score enough goals to be firing us up the league.

A lot of the time he was.

The 90+2
06-02-2022, 01:57 PM
Martin Boyle

No this season apart from Hampden and Motherwell. He even skied the penalty the night Ross got sacked.

Unseen work
06-02-2022, 01:58 PM
After a pretty slow first half with not much happening I actually thought second half we looked very decent with ultimately a lapse in concentration killing us.

I’m not having for a second Maloney refuses to change his ways. He’s came in and wanted to play a 343 with two ‘10’s behind the striker. People complained we were passing too much and for a couple of games we’ve went more direct, fans wanted Doidge up top and they’ve got that with us changing to a 352.

If Cadden and our forwards can show a bit more composure and ruthlessness in front of goal we’ll be fine. The one that summed it up for me was when mueller slid Cadden through in the box in the second half - Cadden had two options either hit it or pick out Nisbet and he done what he normally does and smashed it inbetween the two.

Those are the positions we get in frequently however nothing is materialising in front of goal.

Between the Cadden one, Nisbet and two of Henderson’s chances that is 4 chances which should 100% result in goals. Never mind the other half chances we’ve had.

I think his first thing coming in was making us solid defensively and I think we are, the recent goals we’ve conceded have just been sloppy more than anything.

Japser looks like he’ll give us something we’re missing and unfortunately we seem a centre mid light. Getting Newell and Magennis back will be massive.

I can’t see us changing it and to be honest I don’t think we should, the club surely knew this wouldn’t work instantly and would be a project. Who would we change it for? Another jack ross that people like to begin with then ultimately moan at his style?

Maloney might fail, but he could give us a style that actually works and makes us competitive in the league and cups and take games to the old firm, Hearts and rangers.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 02:00 PM
A lot of the time he was.

No, he was not.

Key West
06-02-2022, 02:00 PM
No this season apart from Hampden and Motherwell. He even skied the penalty the night Ross got sacked.

If Messi was playing for Hibs he would get stick.🤣

The 90+2
06-02-2022, 02:02 PM
If Messi was playing for Hibs he would get stick.🤣

I'm not giving him stick but he was hardly firing on all cylinders before he left so he can't be the one massive excuse why there's been little to no improvement under SM.

Key West
06-02-2022, 02:06 PM
He's still out top scorer and not even playing for us now.

JohnM1875
06-02-2022, 02:08 PM
He's still out top scorer and not even playing for us now.

Pretty sure him and Allan are still our joint top in assists as well with four each. Think I read that somewhere, haven't checked so might not be true though.

Almost everything went through Boyle. Even if he wasn't firing on all cylinders before he left he was still our best player pretty much every match.

The Spaceman
06-02-2022, 02:08 PM
:faf: lower IQ supporters. Behave yourself.

What if he gets time and he is still losing to St Mirren and Livi at home? Thats the problem. Just because you give a manager time, does not mean he will be good.

Doesn’t take a genius to realise a style such as Maloney’s will take a decent amount of time to gel with the players, especially when winter transfer windows are notoriously sticky for clubs like Hibs. I’m more than willing to take whatever comes this season and see where we are at come August.

The Modfather
06-02-2022, 02:10 PM

Boyle is still our top goalscorer (11), with almost double the next man, Nisbet (6). Our 3rd top scorer is the guy who has been injured most of the season, Magennis (3). He’s also still joint top on assists with Allan (4).

This season we have certainly been the Martin Boyle team IMO. We’ve ranged from poor - decent enough at times under Maloney but it’s also not surprising that Maloney won both games he had Boyle for and none without him.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Doesn’t take a genius to realise a style such as Maloney’s will take a decent amount of time to gel with the players, especially when winter transfer windows are notoriously sticky for clubs like Hibs. I’m more than willing to take whatever comes this season and see where we are at come August.

Winter transfer windows are notoriously brilliant for Hibs.

Thats fine. I personally do not think we should be writing off this season so we maybe will be prepared for next season.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 02:25 PM

Nobody is comparing them ability wise and expecting someone we sign to be as good as that. All folk are looking for is players that are actually available to play. Whether you’re signed for £2m or £2 is totally irrelevant to your ability to be fit and available to play although it might be an indication of how you’ll play.

The 90+2
06-02-2022, 02:29 PM
Boyle is still our top goalscorer (11), with almost double the next man, Nisbet (6). Our 3rd top scorer is the guy who has been injured most of the season, Magennis (3). He’s also still joint top on assists with Allan (4).

This season we have certainly been the Martin Boyle team IMO. We’ve ranged from poor - decent enough at times under Maloney but it’s also not surprising that Maloney won both games he had Boyle for and none without him.

As much as we did depend on Boyle this season (and last) he wasn't performing as well as he was this season where we would have been a lot more effected by his loss. Of course he's a massive loss, of that there's no denying but it was or is much of a shock he left in which there should have been plans in place for when he did in both in terms of team shape/creativity and dependence on him. Maybe the young boy will be that answer.

Lago
06-02-2022, 02:32 PM
It's not just Hibs supporters. That Celtc mob were calling for their new manager at the start of the season. They're now top.

Football fans are not known for their resilience.
And playing the type of high tempo football I'm sure Maloney wants to play, unfortunately Hibs don't have Celtic's millions so don't have their quality of player.

Paul1642
06-02-2022, 02:38 PM
Not sure where this belief has come from that Boyle carried this team song handedly. He was a good player, sometimes out best but we have lost better in the past without collapsing.

We were not a one man team and cannot excuse Maloney’s poor start because Boyle is gone. We wont be signing any pleasers until the summer now. Are we going to accept being rubbish until then?

Since452
06-02-2022, 02:42 PM
Not sure where this belief has come from that Boyle carried this team song handedly. He was a good player, sometimes out best but we have lost better in the past without collapsing.

We were not a one man team and cannot excuse Maloney’s poor start because Boyle is gone. We wont be signing any pleasers until the summer now. Are we going to accept being rubbish until then?

As much as I liked Boyle he was posted missing in many games. Losing Boyle isn't an excuse for losing to Livingston and St Mirren at home.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 02:46 PM
As much as I liked Boyle he was posted missing in many games.

He certainly was. His goalscoring record vs the old firm and Hearts was very poor. He was as hopeless as anyone in both recent cup finals as well.

Great player, but there is a reason no English sides came for him.

thebausburst
06-02-2022, 02:58 PM
U

Personally, I want Hibs to play a high press, high intensity game a la the derby but all the time, bit like the energy and pace they had under McLeish.

hibsbollah
06-02-2022, 04:25 PM

Completely with you. The negativity is a complete embarrassment if I’m honest. It’s like there is a substantial minority of the fan base who have decided to be dicks. There’s no more honest way of putting it.

Key West
06-02-2022, 04:30 PM
Completely with you. The negativity is a complete embarrassment if I’m honest. It’s like there is a substantial minority of the fan base who have decided to be dicks. There’s no more honest way of putting it.

👍

Joe6-2
06-02-2022, 04:31 PM

I feel a bit like this, hope SM can be flexible for the time being as we need to get out of this hole before it’s too late.
Really hope he’s here long enough to see how things work out, his ideas would be great if we have the team to put them into practice successfully

Key West
06-02-2022, 04:34 PM
Maybe we should go for an experienced manager like Robbie Neilson.🤣

WhileTheChief..
06-02-2022, 04:42 PM

Are you meaning at ER, on here or other social media?

You can't have read much on here to be embarrassed by, it's mostly just a lot of people showing concern at where we are and others saying to be patient.

Where's the harm?! Where's the dicks?!

LaMotta
06-02-2022, 06:18 PM
Are you meaning at ER, on here or other social media?

You can't have read much on here to be embarrassed by, it's mostly just a lot of people showing concern at where we are and others saying to be patient.

:agree: You don't have to be a dick to be concerned with whats going on at Easter Road right now.

angus hibby
06-02-2022, 06:44 PM
We’re now attempting to play out from the back, a tactic used by most teams nowadays and one I’m glad to see us doing.

Yes, there will be many bumps on the road playing this way, as was proved yesterday but the best teams in the world get caught out doing it. Give me that way of playing every day of the week as opposed to the long ball up to striker, with defender having a 60/40 chance of winning it and scrapping for 2nd balls. If it’s not working, the solution is to make sure it’s done better.

Graham Potter completely changed Brighton’s way of playing and won 2 out of his first 10 league games in charge. Think they finished about 15/16th in his first season but as he’s been given time, is now is regarded by many to be one of the best in PL. And as shown last night, they will still make mistakes playing out. That’s his way of playing and it won’t change.

Hibs fans are going to have show some patience on this one. Last thing the players need is for anxiousness to come from the stands when we’re trying to play out.

MinceAndTatties
06-02-2022, 06:57 PM

I hope it's a small minority but even a few fans booing can sound loud enough for the players to hear.
How does that make the team better? Surely none of them can believe that. Save your negativity till you are back in the pub or just don't bother turning up.

hibsbollah
06-02-2022, 07:02 PM

Very much enjoying this response :faf: