PDA

View Full Version : Melkerson

Zazu62
05-02-2022, 09:15 PM
What is actually going on with him? Is he injured? Was he signed for the B team?

Iain G
05-02-2022, 09:22 PM
What is actually going on with him? Is he injured? Was he signed for the B team?

Yes and no.

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 10:25 PM
They were posting pictures of him training yesterday.

Hibs shouldn’t be spending the type of money they did, on a striker that’s for the future, when we’ve got the strikers we have in the present.

IberianHibernian
05-02-2022, 10:33 PM
They were posting pictures of him training yesterday.

Hibs shouldn’t be spending the type of money they did, on a striker that’s for the future, when we’ve got the strikers we have in the present.Not quite sure what you mean . Like Nisbet and Doidge who aren`t scoring ?

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 10:55 PM
Not quite sure what you mean . Like Nisbet and Doidge who aren`t scoring ?

Then not scoring is my point. We needed to spend that money on someone for now, not someone we might see if go does all right in this apparent B team.

05-02-2022, 10:57 PM
*****ing 300k on the signature signing of the window and not playing him is one of the more puzzling decisions we’ve seen from hibs recently.

Chuck Rhoades
05-02-2022, 11:02 PM
Ron the Con’s big youth policy signing

brianmc
05-02-2022, 11:26 PM
We signed him for the first team.

The League in his country finished in November.

He's currently being put through a 'mini pre season' training programme to get him up to speed to fit into the team.

All the above has been explained/discussed in multiple threads already.

matty_f
05-02-2022, 11:28 PM

He's currently being put through a 'mini pre season' training programme to get him up to speed to fit into the team.

Yes but we lost so let’s forget all that and go ****ing radge.

Tommy75
05-02-2022, 11:28 PM
Strange one. We should have used our playing budget resources in the January window for the here and now to push for 3rd, not to build a decent B team, the majority of whom I suspect will never make the grade.

matty_f
05-02-2022, 11:30 PM

What’s the con here?

He’s spent money to bring the boy in for the first team, the manager has explained clearly that it will take a bit of time for him to be ready. He’s not played as a result.

What’s Ron conning is out of here?

matty_f
05-02-2022, 11:30 PM
Strange one. We should have used our playing budget resources in the January window for the here and now to push for 3rd, not to build a decent B team, the majority of whom I suspect will never make the grade.

He’s a first team signing.

Sean1875
05-02-2022, 11:48 PM
I actually feel sorry for him now. He’s 19 and hasn’t played for us yet but already has the expectation of us all to come in and instantly score and save us in every game, because **** knows where else our goals are coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 11:55 PM
He’s a first team signing.

Why’s he not near the first team then?

Last time Maloney spoke about him, he was talking about building him up in B team games and all that. Talking about him being a long term one.

Not having all the ‘mini pre season’ stuff and that. Take the Japanese boys at Celtic. Just came in and started playing 6 or 7 weeks after their last game. We need to wait, probably until it’s too late.

We needed a striker now. Spent a fortune on one who’s not in the first team, but was a first team signing of course. Pictures of him training yesterday, you’re not telling me he wasn’t even fit enough for the bench seen as he’s a first team player?

06-02-2022, 12:09 AM

Last time Maloney spoke about him, he was talking about building him up in B team games and all that. Talking about him being a long term one.

Not having all the ‘mini pre season’ stuff and that. Take the Japanese boys at Celtic. Just came in and started playing 6 or 7 weeks after their last game. We need to wait, probably until it’s too late.

We needed a striker now. Spent a fortune on one who’s not in the first team, but was a first team signing of course. Pictures of him training yesterday, you’re not telling me he wasn’t even fit enough for the bench seen as he’s a first team player?

Maloney didn't say that, you've made it up.

As far as the "Japanese boys at Celtic" goes, they've done a terrible job managing Furuhashi's introduction to the team. He's been out injured since Boxing Day, his 2nd spell out due to injury.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 12:19 AM
Maloney didn't say that, you've made it up.

As far as the "Japanese boys at Celtic" goes, they've done a terrible job managing Furuhashi's introduction to the team. He's been out injured since Boxing Day, his 2nd spell out due to injury.

Made nothing up, quote from the official site below. I also listened to an interview where he mentioned building him up in B team games. Kind of fits with him not being seen yet eh? Second sentence might be more worrying right enough.

“Melkerson is a long-term project, he is a young boy, so we need to give him time to adapt to the league and the new surroundings.

“We have very good players in those positions so if we are not short of options up front.”

You’re talking further pish about their Japanese boys. The injured one has been there since summer, won them a cup, then got injured. It happens. One of the others has just put them top of the league and has been their best player every game since the restart. I’d much rather spend our cash on someone we never see of course….

1875godsgift
06-02-2022, 12:19 AM

:brickwall

He's 19, he's a kid moving to a strange environment and will need time to adjust.

The Japanese 'boys' by contrast are all in their mid to late 20's and possibly? more used to living on their own, cooking for themselves and washing their own pants.

ekhibee
06-02-2022, 12:20 AM
I actually feel sorry for him now. He’s 19 and hasn’t played for us yet but already has the expectation of us all to come in and instantly score and save us in every game, because **** knows where else our goals are coming from.

This.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 12:22 AM
:brickwall

He's 19, he's a kid moving to a strange environment and will need time to adjust.

The Japanese 'boys' by contrast are all in their mid to late 20's and possibly? more used to living on their own, cooking for themselves and washing their own pants.

Point is we’re spending hundreds of thousands on someone who’s not available to play. I think that’s crap and is the kind of thing that will get the manager the sack. We needed players to come in now. It’s not a dig at Melkerson.

1875godsgift
06-02-2022, 12:50 AM
Point is we’re spending hundreds of thousands on someone who’s not available to play. I think that’s crap and is the kind of thing that will get the manager the sack. We needed players to come in now. It’s not a dig at Melkerson.

Well I suppose the point is he will be available to play when he's ready, and hopefully in the long run will be a good investment?

To be honest, this is the only way Hibs have got any chance of growing, we can't compete with the income streams of the ugly bigot brothers and can only generate significant income through player sales.

Will it work? Who knows but I'm glad that the club are giving it a ****ing good go.

matty_f
06-02-2022, 12:56 AM

Building him up in B team games is not the same as signing him for the B team. Kyle Magennis was playing B team games to get up to speed.

In the quote you selected from Maloney he says the boy isn’t ready yet. Not that he won’t ever be ready or that it’ll be next season before he’s in the first team.

Just the usual over-reaction nonsense that’s becoming more and more prevalent on here recently.

06-02-2022, 01:14 AM
Made nothing up, quote from the official site below. I also listened to an interview where he mentioned building him up in B team games. Kind of fits with him not being seen yet eh? Second sentence might be more worrying right enough.

“Melkerson is a long-term project, he is a young boy, so we need to give him time to adapt to the league and the new surroundings.

“We have very good players in those positions so if we are not short of options up front.”

You’re talking further pish about their Japanese boys. The injured one has been there since summer, won them a cup, then got injured. It happens. One of the others has just put them top of the league and has been their best player every game since the restart. I’d much rather spend our cash on someone we never see of course….

You're the one talking pish by comparing Melkersen to Celtic's Japanese players.

Kyogo got a hamstring injury in a dead rubber v Real Betis and then was rushed back for the final, he admitted himself he wasn't 100% fit. He then limped off after 15 minutes, having aggravated the same hamstring injury (he pulled up when running). "It happens", yes it happens if you gamble with a player's fitness. Yes, he's been there since the summer, the point is that he hasn't had a proper break from playing in the last 12 months. The only breaks he's had have been due to injury, which are much more likely to happen if someone is overplayed.

Centre Hawf
06-02-2022, 01:34 AM
Building him up in B team games is not the same as signing him for the B team. Kyle Magennis was playing B team games to get up to speed.

In the quote you selected from Maloney he says the boy isn’t ready yet. Not that he won’t ever be ready or that it’ll be next season before he’s in the first team.

Just the usual over-reaction nonsense that’s becoming more and more prevalent on here recently.

Agree completely. No one knows for sure how much we paid for this lad but I doubt it would be near the 300k being touted in this thread.

Total overreaction from some people.

hibee-boys
06-02-2022, 07:32 AM
Appreciate that he’ll not want to throw the lad in at the deep end but he’s surely fit enough to jump on for 20mins if need be. We’re not scoring goals and we’ve got a bench full of midfielders who don’t…….along with out strikers at present!

Callum_62
06-02-2022, 07:58 AM

You’re talking further pish about their Japanese boys. The injured one has been there since summer, won them a cup, then got injured. It happens. One of the others has just put them top of the league and has been their best player every game since the restart. I’d much rather spend our cash on someone we never see of course….Funnily enough you missed the first part of that quote

Speaking to HibsTV, Shaun Maloney provided an update on the ongoing situation:

“Nothing has changed at the moment. We are hoping in the next 24-hours, that something changes and that we will have Melkerson available, but we have planned for both scenarios either way.

“Melkerson is a long-term project, he is a young boy, so we need to give him time to adapt to the league and the new surroundings."

Why plan for both scenarios if he's a B team player?

[emoji6]

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

The_Exile
06-02-2022, 08:12 AM
If I was a foreign player and Hibs were in for me, all I would need is 5 minutes on this message board and I’d run a ****ing mile. Christ almighty, when did our fans turn into such drama queens? Every thread is practically unreadable after a defeat.

Jones28
06-02-2022, 08:17 AM
Ron the Con patter is absolutely dire. Should be a banning offence.

How I yearn for the days we were bringing in over the hill journeymen like Rowan Vine and Tom Soares. Instead we’re signing players with big potential but we’ve already got a thread questioning why? Jesus god this place is getting worse.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 08:32 AM

I don’t get where you’re seeing an over reaction here.

We’ve spent a fortune on someone that isn’t ready to go in to our first team. We can’t score a goal, we needed to sign someone who was ready to play now, not however far down the line. Don’t have a problem with us buying long term projects, but we’ve neglected the areas that we needed to improve in January, just need to look at the team yesterday to see that.

MWHIBBIES
06-02-2022, 08:34 AM
Niklas Gunnarsson came in, played right away. Struggled a little but ended up fit and doing well for us.

There is just absolutely no way James Scott and sadly, Drey Wright should be getting minutes ahead of this guy, match fit or not.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 08:34 AM
Funnily enough you missed the first part of that quote

Speaking to HibsTV, Shaun Maloney provided an update on the ongoing situation:

“Nothing has changed at the moment. We are hoping in the next 24-hours, that something changes and that we will have Melkerson available, but we have planned for both scenarios either way.

“Melkerson is a long-term project, he is a young boy, so we need to give him time to adapt to the league and the new surroundings."

Why plan for both scenarios if he's a B team player?

[emoji6]

Why not have him in the first team squad yet if he’s a first team player then?

Lago
06-02-2022, 08:40 AM
If I was a foreign player and Hibs were in for me, all I would need is 5 minutes on this message board and I’d run a ****ing mile. Christ almighty, when did our fans turn into such drama queens? Every thread is practically unreadable after a defeat.
You've just said what I was about to post, some of the stuff on here is unbelievable and in some cases abusive to what purpose?

lucky
06-02-2022, 09:21 AM

Sorry mate but you usually post in a balanced way but your just sounding like someone doing PR for the club. Hibs have got the signings wrong two windows in a row. We all knew we needed players that can play now not in a few weeks or months time. The fans that turned up yesterday was roughly half of what was there against Hearts. The Hibs support is not daft. They can see a team that’s lost their way and unfortunately we don’t have the manager or players to turn this around at this time.

chrisski33
06-02-2022, 09:26 AM
Sorry mate but you usually post in a balanced way but your just sounding like someone doing PR for the club. Hibs have got the signings wrong two windows in a row. We all knew we needed players that can play now not in a few weeks or months time. The fans that turned up yesterday was roughly half of what was there against Hearts. The Hibs support is not daft. They can see a team that’s lost their way and unfortunately we don’t have the manager or players to turn this around at this time.

There was loads of other reasons why the crowd yesterday wasnt the same against Hearts. It wasn't a derby which always attracts a large or full capacity crowd, the weather was fairly p!sh, there was rugby later on, some folk can't afford to go to every game and other reasons and yes maybe for some because they don't like what they see on the pitch.

hibstag
06-02-2022, 09:27 AM

No in Fifa players from Scandinavia come straight into your squad....

lord bunberry
06-02-2022, 09:38 AM
Jackson Irvine hadn’t played for 7 months and he came in and played right away, this boy is being mollycoddled imo. He’s not the only one at the club receiving this kind of treatment.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Jackson Irvine hadn’t played for 7 months and he came in and played right away, this boy is being mollycoddled imo. He’s not the only one at the club receiving this kind of treatment.

Prior to coming in, Rocky had played twice all season, two under 23 games in October.

Melkerson had played for his loan team between May and November, last game was 27th November.

Rocky has come in and went right in to the team. Given the comments we’ve had about him being a long term one, the fact we’ve not seen him in a squad yet, it seems pretty clear we’re treating Melkerson a bit differently.

lord bunberry
06-02-2022, 10:03 AM
Prior to coming in, Rocky had played twice all season, two under 23 games in October.

Melkerson had played for his loan team between May and November, last game was 27th November.

Rocky has come in and went right in to the team. Given the comments we’ve had about him being a long term one, the fact we’ve not seen him in a squad yet, it seems pretty clear we’re treating Melkerson a bit differently.
:agree: He definitely is, but apparently we’re morons and idiots for pointing that out.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 10:06 AM
:agree: He definitely is, but apparently we’re morons and idiots for pointing that out.

Think it’s worth mentioning that none of us morons, idiots or whatever are having a go at Melkerson. Think some of us are just a bit puzzled as to why we’d spend a lot of money on someone for the future while neglecting the present. An important position that we’ve now neglected two windows in a row.

Mikey_1875
06-02-2022, 10:14 AM
The communication from the club is to blame for why there are questions being asked about Melkerson’s availability. I’m not sure why people are so defensive about it but the majority of posts I see are asking relevant questions about what is going on with him considering we are currently bringing James Scott off the bench and results aren’t going well.

As for the clubs communication. If he is injured? Tell us. If it is a personal reason then again why not say so. Why the club are featuring him in tweets and training photos and then he is nowhere to be seen on match days I find a bit odd. Simply saying he isn’t ready doesn’t tell us much at all.

I’m sure the guy will be desperate to play football and why he isn’t even given 20/30 minutes ahead of James Scott is (imo) rightfully being questioned

lord bunberry
06-02-2022, 10:56 AM
Think it’s worth mentioning that none of us morons, idiots or whatever are having a go at Melkerson. Think some of us are just a bit puzzled as to why we’d spend a lot of money on someone for the future while neglecting the present. An important position that we’ve now neglected two windows in a row.
I totally agree, he was brought in with a lot of fanfare. It’s normal for fans to want to see him play. The last thing anyone wants to hear after the big build up he was given is that he’s one for the future.

Hibs90
06-02-2022, 11:02 AM
He can't be any worse than James Scott that's for sure even if he isn't 'ready'.

If he's good enough get him on the bench and give him minutes. Waste of money otherwise.

SlickShoes
06-02-2022, 11:19 AM
He can't be any worse than James Scott that's for sure even if he isn't 'ready'.

If he's good enough get him on the bench and give him minutes. Waste of money otherwise.

Yes let’s risk injuring him, great idea. I’d rather wait so that we don’t have to rely on James Scott ever, rather than just whatever game is up next

hibby rae
06-02-2022, 11:23 AM

Quite right. I'm going to start a thread calling for Maloney's head and say it was a crap transfer window, ignoring the fact the players who we brought in have and have played have showed promise.

Danderhall Hibs
06-02-2022, 11:24 AM
The danger the lad faces now is high expectations - when he does get onto the bench or into the side he could be written off if he’s not a 2 goal a game guy.

Hibs90
06-02-2022, 11:54 AM
Yes let’s risk injuring him, great idea. I’d rather wait so that we don’t have to rely on James Scott ever, rather than just whatever game is up next

If he's not injured theres no reason he couldn't be doing the role Scott is. By ready I meant match fitness.

lord bunberry
06-02-2022, 12:54 PM
So are you saying we shouldn’t be playing Rocky either? He’s played less games and his games were longer ago than Melkerson. I get what people are trying to say and that we just have to trust the club to know when the time is right to play him, but the reasons being suggested on here don’t stack up when you look at other players who have signed recently.

SlickShoes
06-02-2022, 01:06 PM
So are you saying we shouldn’t be playing Rocky either? He’s played less games and his games were longer ago than Melkerson. I get what people are trying to say and that we just have to trust the club to know when the time is right to play him, but the reasons being suggested on here don’t stack up when you look at other players who have signed recently.

It’s almost like they are two totally different people.

We have been told he’s not fit enough to start and needs time but it seems only the coaches want to give him that time.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 01:09 PM
It’s almost like they are two totally different people.

We have been told he’s not fit enough to start and needs time but it seems only the coaches want to give him that time.

The criticism of Melkerson being unavailable isn’t aimed at him, it’s aimed at the club for failing to sign a striker in either of the last two windows who is fit, available and able to help the team.

WeeRussell
06-02-2022, 02:46 PM

Never has hibs.net been summarised so concisely 👍

matty_f
06-02-2022, 06:26 PM
Sounding like PR from the club because I’m able to match up what the manager has said with what’s happening? Ok.

Dalianwanda
06-02-2022, 06:31 PM

How I yearn for the days we were bringing in over the hill journeymen like Rowan Vine and Tom Soares. Instead we’re signing players with big potential but we’ve already got a thread questioning why? Jesus god this place is getting worse.

:top marks

cameronw-hfc
06-02-2022, 06:33 PM
Rocky hasn't played much but he's been training daily and has been in the middle of a season, albeit inactive first half for him. Melkersens season ended and he hasn't played since. He's also a lot smaller and more nimble which makes his adaptation to the Scottish league a bit harder than a 6ft + built like a brick s**t house centre back.

Keep in mind we were pretty desperate for a CB, so Rocky was thrown in whether we wanted to or not, and we've been careful with him since he joined. Probably more of a necessity with Rocky whereas we have fit strikers, none firing but they're fit nonetheless so Melkersen can get a little longer to get up to speed.

CraigHibee
06-02-2022, 06:33 PM

Ron the con? Absolute jambo pattern that

Coco Bryce
06-02-2022, 06:40 PM

I agree. Should get a week ban for posting pish like this.

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2022, 08:55 PM
The criticism of Melkerson being unavailable isn’t aimed at him, it’s aimed at the club for failing to sign a striker in either of the last two windows who is fit, available and able to help the team.

Yup.

Whilst I get the point about him coming from another country, not played for a while etc, the silence from Hibs whilst using his pics non stop for promotional purposes for games is a really strange approach imo.

If he’s not ready then fair enough. Would be nice to hear that though rather than see the build up for a game littered with pictures of him only for him to be nowhere to be seen.

.Sean.
06-02-2022, 09:11 PM
How come Jasper is match fit and playing before him when he last played a first team game for Colchester about six weeks ago at the start of January, but Melkerson is still no even ready to sit on the bench and come on for 5/10 to get broken in gently since he’s supposedly not ready?

It is beyond bizarre, we’ve by all accounts spent what is a fortune for Hibs but you’ve got James Scott who is let’s be honest absolute horse **** still more worthy of more game time

All the more baffling when we are literally desperate for our next goal

06-02-2022, 09:35 PM
How come Jasper is match fit and playing before him when he last played a first team game for Colchester about six weeks ago at the start of January, but Melkerson is still no even ready to sit on the bench and come on for 5/10 to get broken in gently since he’s supposedly not ready?

It is beyond bizarre, we’ve by all accounts spent what is a fortune for Hibs but you’ve got James Scott who is let’s be honest absolute horse **** still more worthy of more game time

All the more baffling when we are literally desperate for our next goal

How much had Melkerson played before he came here and when does the Norwegian season run from and to? How easy is it to move from one country to another where the league seasons don't run concurrently, particularly for someone who's just turned 19? How easy is it to overplay a young player and cause them an injury by throwing them straight into matches after not long finishing a full season and without giving them a proper pre-season?

.Sean.
06-02-2022, 09:37 PM
How much had Melkerson played before he came here and when does the Norwegian season run from and to? How easy is it to move from one country to another where the league seasons don't run concurrently, particularly for someone who's just turned 19? How easy is it to overplay a young player and cause them an injury by throwing them straight into matches after not long finishing a full season and without giving them a proper pre-season?
So he’s still less of an effective option off the bench than James Scott? Overplay, I said a 10,20 min appearance off the bench no a start

The 90+2
06-02-2022, 09:41 PM
So he’s still less of an effective option off the bench than James Scott? Overplay, I said a 10,20 min appearance off the bench no a start

It would also be a clear message to Scott what management think of him and his diet plan.

matty_f
06-02-2022, 09:45 PM

Who do you think is best placed to know if he’s ready or not?

I’d rather have almost any other player than James Scott but not if it is setting that player up to fail, for whatever reason.

I remember Hearts signed some guy who was going to be a star for them, was banging the goals in and when he went to Hearts Levein chucked him straight in. Think he got 45 minutes before he was subbed. Potter slammed his condition and the guy was never seen again.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 09:46 PM

He played 29 matches in Norway, the last of which was on 27th of November.

Rocky hadn’t played nearly as much or as recently but we didn’t need to give him a full pre season. Other teams seem to be able to sign players who haven’t been playing and get them in to their teams quickly (although their bodies react differently because they get paid more or something like that).

If he’s not ready for the first team, we should have signed someone that is (be it in addition or instead of).

.Sean.
It would also be a clear message to Scott what management think of him and his diet plan.
I don’t think the management team should care about that as at the end of his contract he’s thankfully Hulls problem

Not really the point. The coaching staff, strength and conditioning team etc have decided he isn't ready. I'm prepared to trust that they know what is best for Melkerson as they are more qualified and have been able to assess his situation so are in a far better position to judge than fans are. Plus, he's played in a bounce game and took a slight knock (or was stretchered off, depending on who you believe).

Paul1642
06-02-2022, 09:51 PM
We have signed him on 4 and a half year deal and folk are loosing it because he hasn’t kicked a ball yet in early February. I’m as unhappy with what’s on offer as anyone else but that’s pretty ridiculous. We still have Doidge and Nisbet who should be more than good enough to hold the front line until the young lad is ready to go.

.Sean.
06-02-2022, 09:53 PM
Who do you think is best placed to know if he’s ready or not?

I’d rather have almost any other player than James Scott but not if it is setting that player up to fail, for whatever reason.

I remember Hearts signed some guy who was going to be a star for them, was banging the goals in and when he went to Hearts Levein chucked him straight in. Think he got 45 minutes before he was subbed. Potter slammed his condition and the guy was never seen again.
Completely get that Matty but I honestly can’t see the reasoning that off the bench for a 15 min cameo anyone can think that James Scott - an ineffectual loanee who we’ve previously been told was being left out of the squad due to not being in shape - is a better option than a signing Hibs have quite publicly built up. I think we can agree with the posts the club were making when he signed he was straight in the squad. Photos of him training the other day were also on Instagram so I was hopeful he was going to at least be in the squad. As I said, very confusing

Me or you would be a better option than Scott, we might be unfit (as he clearly was when Jack Ross wouldn’t play him) but at least we’d try

.Sean.
06-02-2022, 09:56 PM
We have signed him on 4 and a half year deal and folk are loosing it because he hasn’t kicked a ball yet in early February. I’m as unhappy with what’s on offer as anyone else but that’s pretty ridiculous. We still have Doidge and Nisbet who should be more than good enough to hold the front line until the young lad is ready to go.
Folk are ‘losing it’ cause we’ve just take 1 point from 9 at home including losses to St Mirren and Livi lol

Paul1642
06-02-2022, 09:57 PM
Folk are ‘losing it’ cause we’ve just take 1 point from 9 at home including losses to St Mirren and Livi lol

Righty so. That has nothing to do with this signing though. If he’s a good enough player then it was the right decision to sign him over somebody else just because they were going to be fit 4 game earlier.

The 90+2
06-02-2022, 10:00 PM
I don’t think the management team should care about that as at the end of his contract he’s thankfully Hulls problem

It may embarrass him to get his arse in gear though. You never know how much way may need the player for now and the summer.

06-02-2022, 10:05 PM
He played 29 matches in Norway, the last of which was on 27th of November.

Rocky hadn’t played nearly as much or as recently but we didn’t need to give him a full pre season. Other teams seem to be able to sign players who haven’t been playing and get them in to their teams quickly (although their bodies react differently because they get paid more or something like that).

If he’s not ready for the first team, we should have signed someone that is (be it in addition or instead of).

Rocky's situation isn't comparable to Melkerson's.

Okay, you seem to think you know better than everyone at the club. You explain the reasons why he isn't in the team yet and why those reasons are wrong.

Other teams also sign players who are not ready to straight into the team. So there you have it, Hibs sign some players that are ready to go straight into the team and some who aren't. Other teams sign players that are ready to go straight into the team and some who aren't. Go figure.

06-02-2022, 10:07 PM
Righty so. That has nothing to do with this signing though. If he’s a good enough player then it was the right decision to sign him over somebody else just because they were going to be fit 4 game earlier.

That's a concept some are struggling to grasp.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 10:16 PM
Rocky's situation isn't comparable to Melkerson's.

Okay, you seem to think you know better than everyone at the club. You explain the reasons why he isn't in the team yet and why those reasons are wrong.

Other teams also sign players who are not ready to straight into the team. So there you have it, Hibs sign some players that are ready to go straight into the team and some who aren't. Other teams sign players that are ready to go straight into the team and some who aren't. Go figure.

Never said I know better than them, I’m questioning why he’s not there.

I don’t believe it’s because of fitness, having to give him a pre season and all that. Based on Maloney’s most recent comments I think it’s because they don’t seem him ready for the first team.

My problem isn’t with Melkerson not being in the team. My problem is that we didn’t sign any striker who was going to be able to play now.

What isn’t comparable about Ricky’s situation by the way?

matty_f
06-02-2022, 10:34 PM
Never said I know better than them, I’m questioning why he’s not there.

I don’t believe it’s because of fitness, having to give him a pre season and all that. Based on Maloney’s most recent comments I think it’s because they don’t seem him ready for the first team.

My problem isn’t with Melkerson not being in the team. My problem is that we didn’t sign any striker who was going to be able to play now.

What isn’t comparable about Ricky’s situation by the way?

Maloney’s never said he’s not a first team player. In fact he said that he was a few weeks away from it.

Unseen work
06-02-2022, 10:38 PM
He only turned 19 about 5 weeks ago and has just moved over from Norway he’s never visited before.

He then got injured in his first bounce game.

Let’s give him a minute to settle in and give the club the benefit of the doubt.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 10:41 PM
Maloney’s never said he’s not a first team player. In fact he said that he was a few weeks away from it.

One hell of a mini pre season he’s going through, given there are players who hadn’t played for similar or longer amounts of time that are managing to compete for a place. Don’t get what’s so different about him, if it was just down to fitness they’d just say so surely. There has to be an element of them not thinking he’s ready to play at our level yet IMO. I just find it odd that he was under consideration two and a bit weeks ago but not been seen since, despite the fact we know he’s training.

I also think that it would be understandable at his age, and the fact he’s been playing in the Norwegian second tier, that he might not be ready to come in to the first team here. They may well have bought him with the intention of getting him in to the team but realised they couldn’t when they’ve looked at him.

Whatever it is, I just think signing an expensive striker not available to play, is hampering us.

matty_f
06-02-2022, 10:50 PM
One hell of a mini pre season he’s going through, given there are players who hadn’t played for similar or longer amounts of time that are managing to compete for a place. Don’t get what’s so different about him, if it was just down to fitness they’d just say so surely. There has to be an element of them not thinking he’s ready to play at our level yet IMO. I just find it odd that he was under consideration two and a bit weeks ago but not been seen since, despite the fact we know he’s training.
I don’t recall Maloney saying that he needed a mini pre-season, I think i only saw that on here from a poster. Not sure I’d attach much weight to that point (unless I’ve missed Maloney or someone else from the club saying it?).

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 10:54 PM
I don’t recall Maloney saying that he needed a mini pre-season, I think i only saw that on here from a poster. Not sure I’d attach much weight to that point (unless I’ve missed Maloney or someone else from the club saying it?).

You’re right Maloney hasn’t said the bit about mini pre seasons or anything like that, hence why I was saying I don’t buy the argument that his lack of involvement is just fitness related. I might be totally wrong but I think it’s just because he’s a 19 year old kid who, despite the big fee etc, isn’t ready for the first team. Either that or the work permit is still outstanding because I don’t recall them ever confirming that it had come through (just remember a lot of chat around the Cove game that it was expected imminently).

Edit, just seen the comments on work permit below.

basehibby
06-02-2022, 10:54 PM
There is a load of bed wetting going on here and it's pretty ridiculous - can noone be bothered referencing the manager's comments on Melkerson before venting their spleen on hibs.net???

19th Jan (before his work permit had come through and hence before he was allowed to train with the squad):

25th Jan:

“Elias has got his work permit through. It has been good for him to start the programme of work that we have got in plan for him.

"Elias played in the bounce game at the start of the week which was his first game in quite a period of time, so we need a bit of time to build him up over the next few weeks.

"He’s a very young player, in a new league with new surroundings as well so we need to make sure we give him a bit of time to adapt.
“When we feel he is ready, we will bring him into the First Team squad.”

From the above I think it's pretty clear what's been going on - they are building up his fitness and have evidently not seen fit to rush him into action thus far with both our main strikers from last season fit and available. Yes Rocky has been introduced early but that was in reaction to a crisis of injuries and suspensions and Rocky in any case has been in full training all season even he hadn't played for a while before signing.

I will be surprised if Melkerson doesn't start appearing on the bench very soon but in the context of Maloney's comments above I don't see that all the froth on this thread is justified.

matty_f
06-02-2022, 10:57 PM
There is a load of bed wetting going on here and it's pretty ridiculous - can noone be bothered referencing the manager's comments on Melkerson before venting their spleen on hibs.net???

19th Jan (before his work permit had come through and hence before he was allowed to train with the squad):

25th Jan:

“Elias has got his work permit through. It has been good for him to start the programme of work that we have got in plan for him.

"Elias played in the bounce game at the start of the week which was his first game in quite a period of time, so we need a bit of time to build him up over the next few weeks.

"He’s a very young player, in a new league with new surroundings as well so we need to make sure we give him a bit of time to adapt.

From the above I think it's pretty clear what's been going on - they are building up his fitness and have evidently not seen fit to rush him into action thus far with both our main strikers from last season fit and available. Yes Rocky has been introduced early but that was in reaction to a crisis of injuries and suspensions and Rocky in any case has been in full training all season even he hadn't played for a while before signing.

I will be surprised if Melkerson doesn't start appearing on the bench very soon but in the context of Maloney's comments above I don't see that all the froth on this thread is justified.
:agree:

B.H.F.C
06-02-2022, 11:01 PM

25th Jan:

I think those comments actually back up the point some of us are trying to make rather than oppose it.

He thinks we have good options up front, which doesn’t seem to be the case with our lack of goals.

They’ve got a plan and will introduce him to the first team when they think he’s ready, but there’s no saying how long that’ll be. That brings us back to the point that we needed a player capable of going in to the team a few weeks ago (especially given we’ve lost our main attacking threat).

matty_f
06-02-2022, 11:10 PM
I think those comments actually back up the point some of us are trying to make rather than oppose it.

He thinks we have good options up front, which doesn’t seem to be the case with our lack of goals.

They’ve got a plan and will introduce him to the first team when they think he’s ready, but there’s no saying how long that’ll be. That brings us back to the point that we needed a player capable of going in to the team a few weeks ago (especially given we’ve lost our main attacking threat).
“Over the next few weeks”

Northernhibee
13-03-2022, 01:31 PM
Oh god I love the boy already. Great movement and two wonderful finishes.

Diclonius
13-03-2022, 01:31 PM
He's ok

Stubbsy90+2
13-03-2022, 01:32 PM
What a player

MWHIBBIES
13-03-2022, 01:32 PM
Done well today, took his goals very well.

we are hibs
13-03-2022, 01:33 PM
Great movement all game especially for both goals. Got across his man really well for the first and his chest control and finish for the 2nd was excellent

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Vault Boy
13-03-2022, 01:34 PM
As first starts go...

Jones28
13-03-2022, 01:36 PM
Those finishes 👌👌

HendoDelivered
13-03-2022, 01:37 PM
Unreal

DH1875
Development team player 😂.

FilipinoHibs
EPL in a couple of years. Enjoy while he is here.

Green_one
Prayers answered.

James70
13-03-2022, 01:40 PM
We have a player!

Calidad
13-03-2022, 01:42 PM
Great movement. The goals today will be excellent for his confidence too, not that he seems short of it.

gazzag70
13-03-2022, 01:42 PM
His energy and movement upfront is superb. A real centre forward, he has class. Just locked himself in as a certain starter. Can’t wait to see more of him.

Unseen work
13-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Him staying high and not dropping deep to get on it made a huge difference, it allowed us to get up the pitch and gave everyone else space to get on the ball and it was no coincidence imo that we got the ball wider with switches of play easier.

His two goals were dealt quality, especially the second which showed a striker full of confidence.

Stevie Reid
13-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Ice cold for that second goal. Didn’t have a doubt in my mind that he’d finish it.

Dashing Bob S
13-03-2022, 01:44 PM
The boy is a star. EPL or continent within two seasons. The DR/Sun better start linking him with OF moves for 1.5 mill RIGHT NOW if they are serious about selling their ***** to morons.

Northernhibee
13-03-2022, 01:45 PM
I can’t believe we’ve managed to get him tbh.

JamesHFC
13-03-2022, 01:46 PM
Fans favourite already. Love him.

KeithTheHibby
13-03-2022, 02:04 PM
Had a fiver on him to score 2 or more goals at 20/1.

Early days but he looks a player.

A Hi-Bee
13-03-2022, 02:07 PM

:top marks:greengrin

Aldo
13-03-2022, 02:15 PM

Nice one [emoji1303]

Mcbizz1998
13-03-2022, 02:17 PM
As a full blown pedant, it’s doing my head in everyone spelling his name incorrectly.

Tam McManus (who works for the club) even doing it on Twitter. It’s MelkersEn!!!

Waxy
13-03-2022, 02:22 PM
As a full blown pedant, it’s doing my head in everyone spelling his name incorrectly.

Tam McManus (who works for the club) even doing it on Twitter. It’s MelkersEn!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBrutal eh. Anyway few players done well today. Jaspur and Dray along with Newill .

CentreLine
Wonder how long before he’s kicked out the game and crocked for a season. That’s Doig dealt with. This a league is rammed full of hammer throwers.

Callum_62

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIt sound be changed to

Melkersaaaaaan [emoji106]

Mcbizz1998
13-03-2022, 02:24 PM
Brutal eh. Anyway few players done well today. Jaspur and Dray along with Newill .

[emoji23]

J-C
13-03-2022, 02:25 PM
He was outstanding today, great movement and cool finishes, if hes as good as we think then enjoy him while hes here.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2022, 02:29 PM
He’s going to be a player. You could tell he had something about him as soon as he stepped on to the park up at Dundee.

A Hi-Bee
13-03-2022, 03:01 PM

Aye the Scandinavian "SEN" is same as the English "Son" also remember another young Norwegian scoring 2 goals for Hibs on his debut, but the U.K. Government knackered Hibs on that one.

bingo70
13-03-2022, 03:17 PM
Only 20 years old as well?

Absolutely frightening.

Stevie Reid
13-03-2022, 03:23 PM

Absolutely frightening.

Not 20 until December!

Diclonius
13-03-2022, 03:25 PM
Massey, Clarke, Dog, Hamlin, Porteus, MacGinn, McGennis, Write, Dodge, Newall, Muller, Nesbit, Stephenson, Mitchel, Jesper, Dabrowsky, Doil-Haies, Allen, MacGregor, Scot, Caddin, Houge, Cambell, Busheri, Henerson

Unseen work
13-03-2022, 03:26 PM

Absolutely frightening.

Just turned 19 when he signed!!

Great talent.

A Hi-Bee
13-03-2022, 03:27 PM
Massey, Clarke, Dog, Hamlin, Porteus, MacGinn, McGennis, Write, Dodge, Newall, Muller, Nesbit, Stephenson, Mitchel, Jesper, Dabrowsky, Doil-Haies, Allen, MacGregor, Scot, Caddin, Houge, Cambell, Busheri, Henerson

Kin ye pick a decent side oot o awe them players, then.
:greengrin:greengrin

Eyrie
13-03-2022, 06:29 PM
Very impressive performance, two well taken goals and looks to have the mobility that's needed for the way Maloney wants us to play.

Northernhibee
13-03-2022, 06:31 PM

Managed by Malonie and Caldwill as well :agree:

wookie70
13-03-2022, 07:16 PM
He is exactly what I like to see in a no 9. He tries to face the opposition goal as much as possible, gets across defenders, plays in the centre of the width of the pitch and runs behind. He also has a bit about him and doesn't look like he will be bullied. Reminds me quite a bit of Jason. I don't think we score either of those goals if Doidge or Nisbet is on in stead of Melkerson. Hopefully this will give him a boost and he can fill the massive gap we have in players who can score goals, or for that matter have a shot

Brown Hibs
13-03-2022, 08:58 PM
Brilliant movement for the first and a classy touch to set up the 2nd. Early days and perhaps got more time and space playing against 10 men for 90 plus mins but what a start.

truehibernian
13-03-2022, 09:04 PM
Has the Jason arrogance minus the after match 'tin of beans' one liners - his second goal showed we have signed a right good 'un. Even better Levein is spewing at how good he is :aok: Love wee Jasper too, he's going to be a top player for us.

B.H.F.C
13-03-2022, 09:09 PM
Has the Jason arrogance minus the after match 'tin of beans' one liners - his second goal showed we have signed a right good 'un. Even better Levein is spewing at how good he is :aok: Love wee Jasper too, he's going to be a top player for us.

Jasper getting his assists was as important as Melkerson getting his goals.

Melkerson is clearly going to put the ball in the net if we give him chances. Jasper is going to be really important because I’m not sure who else is going to supply him.

truehibernian
13-03-2022, 09:30 PM
Jasper getting his assists was as important as Melkerson getting his goals.

Melkerson is clearly going to put the ball in the net if we give him chances. Jasper is going to be really important because I’m not sure who else is going to supply him.

I agree, I think Jasper is enjoying his football and he will be much like Boyle when he joined, inconsistent but a right crowd pleaser. Love how he never lets his head drop and is always looking for the ball - sign of a very confident young player :aok:

jonny
13-03-2022, 09:43 PM
I agree, I think Jasper is enjoying his football and he will be much like Boyle when he joined, inconsistent but a right crowd pleaser. Love how he never lets his head drop and is always looking for the ball - sign of a very confident young player :aok:

Jasper was unplayable in that 1st half today.
Those 45minutes were worth the admission price alone.

James70
13-03-2022, 09:52 PM
Jasper was playing for that ricochet and was expecting it, did the same thing playing for Colchester in his highlights video. Melkersen reminds me of Steve Archibald when he was at Hibs.

The Spaceman
13-03-2022, 09:58 PM
He’s got something. I know it’s early days and likely getting ahead of myself, but I honestly think this boy could be destined for huge things in the game (I’m talking up there with the likes of J McGinn).

truehibernian
13-03-2022, 10:01 PM
Jasper was playing for that ricochet and was expecting it, did the same thing playing for Colchester in his highlights video. Melkersen reminds me of Steve Archibald when he was at Hibs.

Goal at Tynie :greengrin I see what you did there.......true though.

BILLYHIBS
13-03-2022, 10:11 PM
Melkersen has a long way to go to be as good as Archie

By the time Archie came to HIBS he was the complete centre forward

The master of his art

The Hoff has time on his side and can only get better

Fingers crossed

McIntosh
14-03-2022, 06:00 AM
Jasper was playing for that ricochet and was expecting it, did the same thing playing for Colchester in his highlights video. Melkersen reminds me of Steve Archibald when he was at Hibs. When I watched the game I thought the exact same thing, Melkersen’s movement and finishing Archibaldesque. Both fine young players with great potential.

Clarence
14-03-2022, 06:37 AM
Get the hairband sponsorship deals lined up - All hail the Melky Bar Kid!

Northernhibee
14-03-2022, 06:58 AM
Get the hairband sponsorship deals lined up - All hail the Melky Bar Kid!

The Melkybar kid is strong and tough
And only the Hibs were good enough
From Bodø/Glimt to Easter Road
He flew to Scotland to score some goals

Greenbeard
14-03-2022, 07:09 AM
Nowt said so far about the chance he missed for a first-half hat-trick. Just watched the highlights. Would have been interesting if VAR had been in play. "Defender does enough to put him off." Aye, with hands on and a wee nudge.

Tambo
14-03-2022, 07:54 AM
Even in the two substitute vs Dundee he looked lively and got into some good spaces and vs St Johnstone he looked a goal threat.

Hopefully we have a gem of a player.

Alfiembra
14-03-2022, 08:10 AM

Good effort

I think it’s time to resurrect the Jimmy O’Rourke song

Elias Mel-ker-son
Everyone knows his name.

Greenside
14-03-2022, 08:21 AM

You spelled Clarke correctly.😁

Numptie
14-03-2022, 08:54 AM
Great thing about the first goal was that Melkerson went front post and someone (Wright?) went back post. Too often this season we have had nobody arriving in the right areas when crosses come in.

nonshinyfinish
14-03-2022, 08:57 AM
You spelled Clarke correctly.😁

Aye but he was trying to spell David Mitchell.

hibee-boys
14-03-2022, 09:14 AM

Had a £5 on him to be first scorer and Hibs 2-1 at 60-1, all in all a very good day😎😂

Clarence
14-03-2022, 09:54 AM

Love it

Since452
14-03-2022, 09:56 AM
Currently browsing Amazon for hairbands

Clarence
14-03-2022, 10:05 AM

Already bought mine.

Northernhibee
14-03-2022, 11:03 AM
Good effort

I think it’s time to resurrect the Jimmy O’Rourke song

Elias Mel-ker-son
Everyone knows his name.

His name’s Elias
He comes from Norway
Got a hair band in his hair
Catching defenders unaware
His names Elias
Mel-ker-sen

(To the tune of Copacabana)

Northernhibee
14-03-2022, 11:03 AM

Half of .net browsing Amazon for hair 😂

Greenio
14-03-2022, 11:25 AM
To the tune of macho man

Melker-Melkerson
Plays for the Hibs
He's Norwegian

repeat

BILLYHIBS
14-03-2022, 11:29 AM
He’s here

He’s there

He’s every f...... where

Melkerson

GreenCastle
14-03-2022, 11:43 AM
Someone posted this on Twitter

Rhythm is a dancer
Melkersens' the answer
He scores goals from everywhere
Scores them with his left foot
Scores with his right foot
Try and stop him if you dare

Ohh ohh he’s a Hibee
Ohh ohh you can feel it in the air
Ohh ohh he’s a Hibee
Ohh ohh ohh ohh (this line maybe needs changed ?)

hibeejeebies
14-03-2022, 12:03 PM
Someone posted this on Twitter

Rhythm is a dancer
Melkersens' the answer
He scores goals from everywhere
Scores them with his left foot
Scores with his right foot
Try and stop him if you dare

Ohh ohh he’s a Hibee
Ohh ohh you can feel it in the air
Ohh ohh he’s a Hibee
Ohh ohh ohh ohh (this line maybe needs changed ?)

👌🏼

Scotty Leither
14-03-2022, 12:08 PM

Good effort pal, last line maybe needs a bit of work, but bear in mind John Lennon didnae write “Imagine” in two minutes 😉

JeMeSouviens
14-03-2022, 12:18 PM
His second goal was like prime Deeks.

Tambo
15-03-2022, 06:07 PM
Called up to Norway u20's.

Hibs striker Elias Melkersen has been called up to the Norway U20s squad for their upcoming friendly matches in March.

The 19-year-old will join up with Jan Peder Jalland's U20s squad for two international friendlies against Romania and Italy later this month.

Gmack7
15-03-2022, 06:25 PM

Hibs striker Elias Melkersen has been called up to the Norway U20s squad for their upcoming friendly matches in March.

The 19-year-old will join up with Jan Peder Jalland's U20s squad for two international friendlies against Romania and Italy later this month.

If he gets injured playing for 🇳🇴 petrie😱

wookie70
15-03-2022, 06:27 PM
Great thing about the first goal was that Melkerson went front post and someone (Wright?) went back post. Too often this season we have had nobody arriving in the right areas when crosses come in.

That has been evident under both managers so must be the style of player rather than tactics I would think. Melkerson may be on about 15 goals and Cadden 15 assists if the two had been playing together from the start of the season. So good to see a striker want to face the way we are shooting. Not sure we should big him up too much and SM was keen to not put him under pressure especially early on which I think was a good move. However, he comes across as being a bit like JC and certainly plays in a similar way. Perhaps he will thrive on expectation but let's not be too hard if his form is patchy. as long as the good games are semis and finals

JohnM1875
15-03-2022, 06:28 PM
If he gets injured playing for 🇳🇴 petrie😱

Giving our luck with injuries this season I'll now be bricking it the whole time he's away. Obviously amazing for him though!

Nicho87
15-03-2022, 06:30 PM
His second goal was like prime Deeks.

Not taking any credit for it but at hospitality v Ross county I told him to watch Derek riordan videos. True story

bingo70
15-03-2022, 06:47 PM

I take it that won’t clash with any of our games?

Sir David Gray
15-03-2022, 06:50 PM
I take it that won’t clash with any of our games?

No they're played on the same international dates as the senior sides play so no club football.

where'stheslope
16-03-2022, 09:17 AM
That has been evident under both managers so must be the style of player rather than tactics I would think. Melkerson may be on about 15 goals and Cadden 15 assists if the two had been playing together from the start of the season. So good to see a striker want to face the way we are shooting. Not sure we should big him up too much and SM was keen to not put him under pressure especially early on which I think was a good move. However, he comes across as being a bit like JC and certainly plays in a similar way. Perhaps he will thrive on expectation but let's not be too hard if his form is patchy. as long as the good games are semis and finals
Can't help feeling we as fans are heaping to much pressure on a young player.
1 game and he's a world beater who is going to score hat tricks in semi finals?
Have to admit he looks a player, but like Nisbet, if he stops producing fans will soon be on his back???
Just give him a chance without the extra pressure!!!

JeMeSouviens
16-03-2022, 09:29 AM
Not taking any credit for it but at hospitality v Ross county I told him to watch Derek riordan videos. True story

Take the plaudits, you deserve them. :greengrin

AugustaHibs
16-03-2022, 09:30 AM
Have to admit he looks a player, but like Nisbet, if he stops producing fans will soon be on his back???

I know where you are coming from but maybe they should be in a different industry if they can’t deal with pressure.

Every single footballer in the country is expected to perform.

SlickShoes
16-03-2022, 09:51 AM

It does make a nice change from us signing players who have a crap first game then get labeled as ***** their whole time here based on that.

blackpoolhibs
16-03-2022, 03:31 PM
Did big Ron's son sign him? :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2022, 04:17 PM
It does make a nice change from us signing players who have a crap first game then get labeled as ***** their whole time here based on that.

This.

Fans excited by a new goalscoring talent, fans down a player who doesn't cut it?

Never catch on.

BILLYHIBS
16-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Can’t remember such a commotion about a player scoring a double on his debut since Johnny Graham 😃

16-03-2022, 08:50 PM
One for the Melkersen fans.

https://youtu.be/9mpLcjwigMA

In the challenge where he gets booked it looks to me like Lamie catches Melkersen just as much. The difference being Melkerson doesn't react, whereas Lamie acts as if he's been punched by Tyson Fury.

matty_f
16-03-2022, 11:57 PM
One for the Melkersen fans.

https://youtu.be/9mpLcjwigMA

In the challenge where he gets booked it looks to me like Lamie catches Melkersen just as much. The difference being Melkerson doesn't react, whereas Lamie acts as if he's been punched by Tyson Fury.
good shout.

heretoday
17-03-2022, 01:00 AM
He's great but let's face it he missed an absolute sitter.

matty_f
17-03-2022, 07:15 AM

I think it’s really important that someone brings this up in a thread lavishing praise on a young player who had a fantastic first start. Very important that we don’t let the one mistake he made go unmentioned.

flash
17-03-2022, 07:23 AM
I think it’s really important that someone brings this up in a thread lavishing praise on a young player who had a fantastic first start. Very important that we don’t let the one mistake he made go unmentioned.

Aye don't want the laddie thinking we are right behind him or anything ridiculous like that.

dchibs
17-03-2022, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=Northernhibee;6891012]His name’s Elias
He comes from Norway
Got a hair band in his hair
Catching defenders unaware
His names Elias
Mel-ker-sen
Every one knows he's here to score goals
Elias Mel-Ker-son
To the tune of Copacabana)[/QUOTE

Hibernian Verse
17-03-2022, 07:42 AM

Thanks for your input, it's great to hear from someone that has never made a mistake.

And he was pushed btw.

bigwheel
17-03-2022, 08:17 AM

Like every decent forward who ever played ……

Mcbizz1998
17-03-2022, 09:22 AM
If he scores at the weekend then I might just propose tbh. He is now (along with Jasper) the shining light for the remainder of our season.

No pressure Elias!

Since452
17-03-2022, 09:50 AM
If he scores at the weekend then I might just propose tbh. He is now (along with Jasper) the shining light for the remainder of our season.

No pressure Elias!

It's the boost the team and fans were needing. Hopefully now we get one or two of the injured lads back and push on for the remainder of the season. All to play for.

Nice wee international call up for him too.

Scotty Leither
17-03-2022, 12:01 PM
Watching from my COVID prison armchair, I immediately thought of Cummings when he scored that first goal.

One more win secures top 6, IMO, and once that’s achieved I hope the laddie is used sparingly and all our efforts are concentrated on this semi final. Hope the boy Clarke is fit soon, too.

Stubbsy90+2
17-03-2022, 12:04 PM

Played 3 scored 2 for them so will probably be likely to start.

Diclonius
17-03-2022, 12:25 PM

https://i.imgur.com/ENdS6Wb.jpg

patlowe
17-03-2022, 01:05 PM
An extremely promising start. The only note of caution I'd throw in is that Ojala seems completely over the hill at Motherwell - he couldn't cope with Melkerson's movement at all in that first half but it may not be quite as straightforward against other opposition. Not that he'll be up against any world beaters elsewhere in the league right enough!

Scotty Leither
17-03-2022, 01:12 PM
An extremely promising start. The only note of caution I'd throw in is that Ojala seems completely over the hill at Motherwell - he couldn't cope with Melkerson's movement at all in that first half but it may not be quite as straightforward against other opposition. Not that he'll be up against any world beaters elsewhere in the league right enough!

Halkett’s not the most mobile at our pink chums, either…

matty_f
17-03-2022, 05:12 PM
Watching from my COVID prison armchair, I immediately thought of Cummings when he scored that first goal.

One more win secures top 6, IMO, and once that’s achieved I hope the laddie is used sparingly and all our efforts are concentrated on this semi final. Hope the boy Clarke is fit soon, too.

Get well soon, hope it’s not too bad. 👍

Scotty Leither
17-03-2022, 05:25 PM
Get well soon, hope it’s not too bad. 👍

Thanks Matty 👍🏻

17-03-2022, 09:47 PM

Is there any point in me asking if this is a serious post if you're only going to be here for another hour and 13 minutes?

Unseen work
17-03-2022, 11:32 PM
https://twitter.com/harry_mcarthur/status/1503477669920448515?s=21

Just when you think the down the slope lads can’t do any more they start creating Hibs songs!

Brilliant.

Can’t wait to hear it at pittodrie

JimBHibees
18-03-2022, 06:21 AM

Just when you think the down the slope lads can’t do any more they start creating Hibs songs!

Brilliant.

That's brilliant. Sure I heard guys singing that at Motherwell. :thumbsup:

theonlywayisup
18-03-2022, 11:07 AM

Brilliant.

Song deserves a thread of it's own.

It'll be interesting to watch how Melkerson develops. He looks like he could be really good.

RIP
18-03-2022, 12:14 PM
Did big Ron's son sign him? :greengrin

We should thank the recruitment team under Graeme Mathie who scouted him last Autumn

nickwhibs
18-03-2022, 12:35 PM
Brilliant. Great tune too (Bella Ciao)

Since452
18-03-2022, 04:50 PM
We should thank the recruitment team under Graeme Mathie who scouted him last Autumn

I thought Kensell was pally with the head of Bodø/Glimt youth academy. Was a recommendation I think? Maybe it was Hauge I'm thinking of.

worcesterhibby
18-03-2022, 05:16 PM

Good at identifying players...not so successful at actually signing them !

RIP
19-03-2022, 07:09 AM
Good at identifying players...not so successful at actually signing them !

Leeann used to burn rubber in support of Graeme during the transfer windows. She worked eighteen hour days. When she left, GM was pretty much left to try and manage contract conclusion on his own. Unsurprisingly, he fell short during the final hours of the summer window.

Just what I’ve heard - it’s past history now. Here’s hoping that we’ve retained some of our scouting team / recruitment analysts. There’s a wider net being cast now under Maloney. Under Jack, we appeared to avoid black, mixed race or European talent.

Dmas
19-03-2022, 07:54 AM
Leeann used to burn rubber in support of Graeme during the transfer windows. She worked eighteen hour days. When she left, GM was pretty much left to try and manage contract conclusion on his own. Unsurprisingly, he fell short during the final hours of the summer window.

Just what I’ve heard - it’s past history now. Here’s hoping that we’ve retained some of our scouting team / recruitment analysts. There’s a wider net being cast now under Maloney. Under Jack, we appeared to avoid black, mixed race or European talent.

😂

Jones28
19-03-2022, 08:13 AM

Wtf is that last sentence about?

JimBHibees
19-03-2022, 08:21 AM

Mathie was away by then was he not? Kensell has an ex Norwich contact at that club.

easty
19-03-2022, 08:27 AM
Under Jack, we appeared to avoid black, mixed race or European talent.

That’s a new stick to beat Jack Ross with. Not seen this one be used yet.

Ridiculous.

JimBHibees
19-03-2022, 08:28 AM

Absolutely bizarre take on it.

Heisenberg
19-03-2022, 08:30 AM
That’s a new stick to beat Jack Ross with. Not seen this one be used yet.

Ridiculous.

Very strange considering he signed Omeonga, Dillon Barnes and Nathan Wood.

19-03-2022, 08:34 AM

JR signed loads of black and white..... i.e St Mirren.

Greencore
19-03-2022, 08:45 AM
Under Jack, we appeared to avoid black, mixed race or European talent.

Stop talking p*sh

CapitalGreen
19-03-2022, 08:48 AM

Can add it to his list of conspiracy theories alongside Clarke faking a serious injury because he wanted to sign for Rangers.

Since452
19-03-2022, 09:03 AM

Did he not sign Omeonga, Nathan Wood and Dillon Barnes?

Brightside
19-03-2022, 09:09 AM
Absolutely bizarre take on it.

Mental.

The Baldmans Comb
19-03-2022, 09:14 AM

Just desperate and totally beyond parody.😱

cameronw-hfc
19-03-2022, 12:15 PM

One of the most moronic posts I've ever seen. Straight delusion

jacomo
20-03-2022, 12:06 PM

Just pointing out that St Mirren restricted their scouting to Scotland and Ireland I think.

Jones28
20-03-2022, 12:36 PM
Has RIP been back to respond to those questioning his comment or is he sticking by the accusation that Hibs had a racist transfer policy under Jack Ross?

HoboHarry
20-03-2022, 12:48 PM

That's a whole new level of stupidity you've plumbed the depths to there. Well done.

flash
20-03-2022, 02:33 PM
Has RIP been back to respond to those questioning his comment or is he sticking by the accusation that Hibs had a racist transfer policy under Jack Ross?

Hopefully he is lying down in a dark room after dropping that particular bombshell.

Wilson
20-03-2022, 02:46 PM
Hopefully he is lying down in a dark room after dropping that particular bombshell.

He had Jack Ross paint it. It is a very light room apparently.

Steve88
09-04-2022, 03:26 PM
Poor Lad. Zero service and then subbed for Scott

What a slap in the face

ShetlandHibby
09-04-2022, 04:20 PM
Looked like a lost little boy out there today

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-04-2022, 04:50 PM
Looked like a lost little boy out there today

Yup. He was brutal. Same vs Aberdeen

Can see now why he's not been rushed in...

The Spaceman
09-04-2022, 05:34 PM
Not to blame for today. He had very little service and nobody around him to help after Drey Wright went off. Mueller was absolutely garbage today and was our only outlet to connect with Melkersen but failed miserably.

Libby Hibby
09-04-2022, 05:35 PM
Motherwell apart, he’s done very little…not his fault but it’s all we’ve got

Steven79
09-04-2022, 05:38 PM

He needs a more experienced partner upfront.

Allant1981
09-04-2022, 05:39 PM
Long balls up to him at times was just mental, no service either apart from the one cross i can remember from cadden

California-Hibs
09-04-2022, 05:40 PM
I can see EXACTLY why he wasn't rushed in now. Literally looked like a child today, was so awkward to watch. I understand that we find ourself in a situation where we basically have no choice, but how we didn't sign a striker with the idea of starting in mind in January is mind blowing!

Ronniekirk
09-04-2022, 05:40 PM

And to be fair to Maloney he kept saying he was a work in progress and one for the future
But circumstances have left us with no option but to ask him to lead the line when he isn’t really ready to play week in week out

Libby Hibby
09-04-2022, 05:41 PM
And to be fair to Maloney he kept saying he was a work in progress and one for the future
But circumstances have left us with no option but to ask him to lead the line when he isn’t really ready to play week in week out

Agreed.

Alfred E Newman
09-04-2022, 08:25 PM
I can see EXACTLY why he wasn't rushed in now. Literally looked like a child today, was so awkward to watch. I understand that we find ourself in a situation where we basically have no choice, but how we didn't sign a striker with the idea of starting in mind in January is mind blowing!

Exactly. Blowing £350000 on a youngster who might turn out to be a great investment was irresponsible.

Chorley Hibee
09-04-2022, 08:28 PM
Exactly. Blowing £350000 on a youngster who might turn out to be a great investment was irresponsible.

This!!!

The amount of money spent on a B team signing, whilst the first team goes to pot, is a bloody joke.

There's no point looking to the future whilst neglecting the present.

B.H.F.C
09-04-2022, 08:28 PM
He’s getting hung out to dry due to our horrendously bad recruitment.

Ronniekirk
09-04-2022, 08:31 PM

Too early to say yet as his goals against Motherwell were superbly taken
But Maloney said he was t ready to be out main striker week in week
Out
But it was a big outlay instigated by Kenwell and his links abroad and Ron backed him
Muller was brought in by Ron’s son Ian Gordon and hasn’t yet set the Heather alight
But begs the question is Maloney totally in control of who comes in or are other s tinkering and he has to play these players
Anyway we are still ***** and deserve to be bottom six

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 09:27 PM
19 year old laddie who’s hardly played football on grass. Now our main striker. Absolute joke.

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 09:30 PM
19 year old laddie who’s hardly played football on grass. Now our main striker. Absolute joke.

And cost over £400k in the process.

I don’t blame him. I like him. I think he’ll become a very good player.

Signing him in such an important window AND spending that amount of money is utter madness.

Callum_62
09-04-2022, 09:34 PM
And cost over £400k in the process.

I don’t blame him. I like him. I think he’ll become a very good player.

Signing him in such an important window AND spending that amount of money is utter madness.Maybe it was now or never?

If he does go onto become a very good player then signing him at all was correct

He will definately take some time for him to fully adapt but I do like his movement, you can see he has something

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 09:39 PM
Maybe it was now or never?

If he does go onto become a very good player then signing him at all was correct

He will definately take some time for him to fully adapt but I do like his movement, you can see he has something

I don’t disagree with this.

If it’s a case of now or never though then you sign him and sign someone else as well.

Northernhibee
09-04-2022, 09:42 PM
I don’t disagree with this.

If it’s a case of now or never though then you sign him and sign someone else as well.

It’s also a case of priorities. We - more than anything else - needed a striker who was first team ready.

We went for a player who hadn’t played on grass before.

It it meant missing out on a potential future star to fix the gaping hole in the team then unfortunately, that would have to take priority.

It’s as bad a window as the summer one because Clarke aside none of them were ready for the first team or solved our problems.

IberianHibernian
09-04-2022, 09:45 PM
He wasn`t signed to help our first team this season but cause of injuries has been rushed in . I`m not expecting him to make a great impact till next season or later but I`ve seen enough of him to think he might do it sooner ( nearly scored a great goal in first half today ) .

Stubbsy90+2
09-04-2022, 09:46 PM
It’s also a case of priorities. We - more than anything else - needed a striker who was first team ready.

We went for a player who hadn’t played on grass before.

It it meant missing out on a potential future star to fix the gaping hole in the team then unfortunately, that would have to take priority.

It’s as bad a window as the summer one because Clarke aside none of them were ready for the first team or solved our problems.

:agree:

An absolutely abysmal window.

Danderhall Hibs
09-04-2022, 10:10 PM
He’s getting hung out to dry due to our horrendously bad recruitment.

There were lots of fans who wanted / were demanding he played. If Nisbet hadn’t been injured and he stayed on the bench it was heading towards a revolt.

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2022, 10:16 PM
He wasn`t signed to help our first team this season but cause of injuries has been rushed in . I`m not expecting him to make a great impact till next season or later but I`ve seen enough of him to think he might do it sooner ( nearly scored a great goal in first half today ) .

We should not have signed him this season, especially for that fee, if he couldn't contribute immediately. He should've been playing right away, especially as we wrote off the league totally months ago.

where'stheslope
10-04-2022, 09:41 AM
As I said earlier on the thread, the lad did the damage to a tiring Motherwell 10 men!
Playing against 11 men who want to win at all cost, you need seasoned campaigners not young inexperienced young players.
Injuries and suspensions have cost us dearly, we just need to dig deep to ride out the rest of this season!!!

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2022, 09:44 AM
As I said earlier on the thread, the lad did the damage to a tiring Motherwell 10 men!
Playing against 11 men who want to win at all cost, you need seasoned campaigners not young inexperienced young players.
Injuries and suspensions have cost us dearly, we just need to dig deep to ride out the rest of this season!!!

There is nothing wrong with Melkersen. He will be fine, he is good enough to start for us now. His inexperience etc isn't the issue.

This is a system that has made Doidge and Nisbet, 2 proven quality strikers, look isolated and poor. No amount of career games and hair on his arse will stop Melkersen looking like that. Its how Doidge looked under Hecky, how Flo looked under Lennon etc.

We execute 1 up front dreadfully. We have for years.

superfurryhibby
10-04-2022, 09:48 AM

His goals were in the first half, on 15 and 37 mins. :confused: I wouldn’t have said Motherwell were tiring. In fact they then went on to dominate a game against our 11, with a much improved second half.

Alfred E Newman
10-04-2022, 10:35 AM
We should not have signed him this season, especially for that fee, if he couldn't contribute immediately. He should've been playing right away, especially as we wrote off the league totally months ago.

If we could afford it then fine, sign him as an investment. If signing him meant there was not enough funds left to bring in much needed players in key positions then we should have left it alone.
By not strengthening the first team squad when it was badly needed we have ended up in the bottom six and now facing a financial loss of several hundred thousand.
Economic madness.

Eyrie
10-04-2022, 06:12 PM
His goals were in the first half, on 15 and 37 mins. :confused: I wouldn’t have said Motherwell were tiring. In fact they then went on to dominate a game against our 11, with a much improved second half.

We played well in the first half against ten men, and poorly in the second half.

Similar to how the best performances under Maloney were before the winter break.