PDA

View Full Version : Josh Campbell

WestStandWillie
05-02-2022, 02:43 PM
Great prospect but his immediate future is Championship loan.

One good game shouldn’t mean automatic first team.

He’s been poor…and Allan’s on bench.

Jones28
05-02-2022, 02:44 PM
When he broke in and was looking really promising he was playing in behind the strikers. He isn’t a sitting midfielder.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2022, 02:47 PM
Don't see it at all. Very poor.

Lee Marvin
05-02-2022, 02:48 PM

We don't have anyone else to play that position with Newell out. Ridiculous we didn't sign one centre mid from 11 players

Hibby Bairn
05-02-2022, 02:49 PM
3.43pm during a game and you decide to start a thread about a young player currently playing in a match.

Carheenlea
05-02-2022, 02:49 PM
Let’s wait until we lose the game before looking for scapegoats.

Allant1981
05-02-2022, 02:51 PM

He has been poor again, a 2 yard pass out on the touchline and it goes straight out, not a good player

SMAXXA
05-02-2022, 02:58 PM
3.43pm during a game and you decide to start a thread about a young player currently playing in a match.

Don’t see anything wrong with what people are saying. I agree he’s not good enough and just cause he’s young shouldn’t make it any less relevant. He may develop and become good enough but at the moment he’s not

easty
05-02-2022, 03:38 PM

It’s not looking for a scapegoat. It’s pointing out that the boys no good enough to be playing for us regularly yet.

It’s true, and it’s very obvious.

It’s not just his fault we’re doing *****.

Ozyhibby
05-02-2022, 03:49 PM
No point blaming Campbell. It’s Maloney who keeps picking him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
05-02-2022, 04:00 PM
I really dont like to criticise Hibs Players but I just don't see what he bring to the team. 1st half Dabrowski had the ball in his hands and Campbell was in the middle of the park about 5 yards outside the box. In at least 20 yards of space and he just turned his back and didn't want the ball. He then passes it out the park. Sorry but not good enough. Nothing positive from hom at all. Not just today

J-C
05-02-2022, 04:02 PM
An average player but nothing more, he'll end up bottom 6 or in the Championship.

WestStandWillie
05-02-2022, 04:06 PM

How dare I post about a player out his depth.

Coach Jon
05-02-2022, 05:03 PM
An average player but nothing more, he'll end up bottom 6 or in the Championship.

Think you are being kind. Probably found his level when at Edinburgh City. God knows how he has ended up with a four year contract.

leith lynx
05-02-2022, 05:30 PM

and probably with Hibs unfortunately.

skyehibee
05-02-2022, 05:34 PM
Scott Martin no 2

Pretty Boy
05-02-2022, 05:36 PM
He's a worker and can play a couple of positions which might justify a place in the squad. Never a starter though.

The worrying thing is we don't have a lot of other options.

Wheat Hound
05-02-2022, 05:39 PM
Him and JDH are perhaps our weakest centre mid for many years

Onceinawhile
05-02-2022, 05:59 PM
I actually thought he did OK in the first half. Nothing great, but thoroughly OK.

Second half anonymous as usual.

JohnM1875
05-02-2022, 06:02 PM
He's a worker and can play a couple of positions which might justify a place in the squad. Never a starter though.

The worrying thing is we don't have a lot of other options.

He has energy. That is literally it. He should be nowhere near our starting XI.

King conrad
05-02-2022, 06:04 PM
Was Josh a standout in the academy? 22 this year and looks off it.

Boss_Nass
05-02-2022, 06:05 PM
He’s nowhere near good enough. Wasn’t man enough to win the derby for us. Embarassing we are left with him and imposter JDH in the middle

Unseen work
05-02-2022, 06:12 PM
As a centre mid I think he’s got a little bit of everything, unfortunately just not to the level we need.

With all youngsters I try and look at them a bit closer and with more encouraging eyes. Even when playing badly or not as influential I try give them the benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately that tends to be when they’re not good enough and we’re declining.

Was the same with Handing, Martin etc.

A good player should be obvious to the fans and I think everyone can instantly tell if someone is good enough. We shouldn’t be trying to convince ourselves.

Leith Green
05-02-2022, 06:21 PM

Surely the signing of Tait from Raith would have been worthy of giving a chance. I dont see how he could be any worse than campbell to be honest. Clear as day that campbell needs dropped , tait should have been given a chance rather than being loaned out. Probably would have been better getting campbell out on loan

DH1875
05-02-2022, 06:32 PM
Him and JDH are perhaps our weakest centre mid for many years

Him and JDH are basically the same age yet he is seen as a prospect from the youth team :confused:

Coco Bryce
05-02-2022, 06:34 PM
Headless chicken.

Leith Green
05-02-2022, 06:36 PM
Him and JDH are basically the same age yet he is seen as a prospect from the youth team :confused:

I only just realised that he is 22 .. i thought he was 18 or 19 , harsh to say this but he is never going to get to a level thats needed to be running our midfield

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2022, 06:38 PM
I really dont like to criticise Hibs Players but I just don't see what he bring to the team. 1st half Dabrowski had the ball in his hands and Campbell was in the middle of the park about 5 yards outside the box. In at least 20 yards of space and he just turned his back and didn't want the ball. He then passes it out the park. Sorry but not good enough. Nothing positive from hom at all. Not just today

Was stunned by that too. The lad clearly didn't want the ball even though he was in a great position. Looks like his confidence is shot. Said for weeks now that he needs a spell out of the 1st team to re-group and get his confidence back. He's been going through the motions lately.

B.H.F.C
05-02-2022, 06:39 PM
I was getting really annoyed watching him today, but I actually feel sorry for him. He’s not really a kid in football terms and was playing in League Two last season for a reason.

He’s a Hibs supporter and obviously wants to do well but he’s not good enough. He’s going to end up getting a lot of criticism and it’s going to hurt him and that’s down to us failing to recruit properly more than him.

Smartie
05-02-2022, 06:45 PM
That doesn’t look like an easy team to play CM in.

We often seem to have 2 in the middle against an opposition 3 and whoever it happens to be looks like they’re being hung out to dry.

Our tactical set up makes us look outnumbered all over the park and I just don’t get it.

I sway between thinking the players aren’t good enough and feeling sorry for them.

The Modfather
05-02-2022, 06:46 PM
A downgrade on Hallberg. A useful squad player to come in and do a short term job but one of the starting points for me in our rebuild.

bingo70
05-02-2022, 06:48 PM
I was getting really annoyed watching him today, but I actually feel sorry for him. He’s not really a kid in football terms and was playing in League Two last season for a reason.

He’s a Hibs supporter and obviously wants to do well but he’s not good enough. He’s going to end up getting a lot of criticism and it’s going to hurt him and that’s down to us failing to recruit properly more than him.

Comes back to the recruitment, or lack of it in midfield. If Newell isn’t available, who else do we play there? Scott Allan hasn’t got the legs to get up and down the park, Henderson is too lightweight, who else am I missing that’s competing for that position?

We should never of let Tait, Gogic and Hallberg leave without replacing them, even with a squad player.

Hibee_Lisa
05-02-2022, 06:48 PM
Hate to seem like I’m bashing a player but I genuinely do not see what he offers, not defensively good enough nor attacking minded 🤷🏻*♀️

Keyser Sauzee
05-02-2022, 06:49 PM
Genuinely don’t see what positive’s he brings to the team, he’s just taking up space.

Real Emerald
05-02-2022, 06:53 PM
With JDH being more of a defensive mid (I assume:dunno:), it leaves Josh Campbell as our central midfield player. That’s a position that needs a player who breaks up plays, creates chances and moves the team forward, effectively the heart of the team. It’s a real shame but he runs around doing next to none of these things. A team like Hibs has to have better in that position, Newell is a big miss but we have no one else if McGennis is injured and Allan is not up to it anymore.

hibeejeebies
05-02-2022, 07:16 PM
He’s nowhere near good enough. Wasn’t man enough to win the derby for us. Embarassing we are left with him and imposter JDH in the middle

Thanks Toni Braxton.

Scorrie
05-02-2022, 07:29 PM
I think he’s probably trying too hard at the moment. He’s learning the game and I think there’s a player there. Definitely needs someone stronger and more dynamic than JDH in the midfield with him. I think patience is needed as I do think he’ll come good.

Crammond Hibee
05-02-2022, 07:37 PM
Don't see it at all. Very poor.

I agree

gaz1875
05-02-2022, 08:07 PM

I was ****in raging about that, he done it twice, turned his back not willing to take any responsibility.

hibee-boys
05-02-2022, 08:09 PM
I think he’s probably trying too hard at the moment. He’s learning the game and I think there’s a player there. Definitely needs someone stronger and more dynamic than JDH in the midfield with him. I think patience is needed as I do think he’ll come good.

Come good? He’ll be 22 at the end of this season. Have we ever had an academy graduate that has come good at that age? File under Handling, Harris, Stanton, Gullan etc etc. If these ‘youngsters’ haven’t come good by their late teens they ain’t coming good at all and should be shipped out so they can try and build a career in the lower divisions.

Hermit Crab
05-02-2022, 08:24 PM
Championship player at best, should be nowhere near the 1st team. Constantly gives the ball away and puts us under pressure.

LaMotta
05-02-2022, 09:20 PM
A downgrade on Hallberg. A useful squad player to come in and do a short term job but one of the starting points for me in our rebuild.

I've never thought of it like that but you are right. We are getting rid of better players than we are playing.

gaz1875
05-02-2022, 09:22 PM
I've never thought of it like that but you are right. We are getting rid of better players than we are playing.

Don't forget there were plenty on here that said these departures were hopeless despite some of us defending them.

LaMotta
05-02-2022, 09:27 PM
Don't forget there were plenty on here that said these departures were hopeless despite some of us defending them.

I think Hallberg was decent. Not great but decent. Never poor. Campbell has looked poor 5 times in a row, but has retained his place. This is worrying when thinking about the decisions from our management team.

Key West
05-02-2022, 09:28 PM
Far too soon be making judgements on a young midfielder, I think he'll be a good player for Hibs, total confidence in him.

LaMotta
05-02-2022, 09:30 PM
Far too soon be making judgements on a young midfielder, I think he'll be a good player for Hibs, total confidence in him.

It's not to soon to say he's not good enough for Hibs right now. He needs to improve considerably to be playing for us. I think he'll end up playing at a lower level, hope you are right though.

hibee1875
05-02-2022, 09:31 PM

What age does a player stop being young? 23/24?

gaz1875
05-02-2022, 10:24 PM
I think Hallberg was decent. Not great but decent. Never poor. Campbell has looked poor 5 times in a row, but has retained his place. This is worrying when thinking about the decisions from our management team.

I just don't know what his role in the team is, he hardly touches the ball and when he does it's generally poor. When I came back from the Rangers semi the radio was raving about him and I remember thinking I don't recall him doing to much. Watched it the following day and again never really noticed him, next thing he's got a new contract and since then other than one goal, a shot of the woodwork and a shot of the line I can't remember anything else of note. I hate having a pop at him but it's true. Henderson came on and changed the game, Campbell wouldn't be able to do that.

yonder1875
05-02-2022, 10:32 PM
People are kidding themselves on if they think he could ever be a player for us.

LaMotta
05-02-2022, 11:59 PM
I just don't know what his role in the team is, he hardly touches the ball and when he does it's generally poor. When I came back from the Rangers semi the radio was raving about him and I remember thinking I don't recall him doing to much. Watched it the following day and again never really noticed him, next thing he's got a new contract and since then other than one goal, a shot of the woodwork and a shot of the line I can't remember anything else of note. I hate having a pop at him but it's true. Henderson came on and changed the game, Campbell wouldn't be able to do that.

Agree with all that.

I think Henderson has real ability on the ball. I do wonder if he has the physique and explosiveness to be a top player, but he defo has ability.

500miles
06-02-2022, 12:22 AM

Campbell came on and changed the game against Celtic, so he can make a difference.

I really don't get the issue people with him today. It wasn't him that missed the good chances or gave away the goal.

Sean1875
06-02-2022, 12:31 AM
There’s probably a reason why the majority of us had heard nothing about him until this season. Harsh as it is I genuinely can’t see anything past a fairly successful championship level player. What’s most frustrating is that (especially considering KM injury issues) we’ve been crying out for a decent centre midfield addition for what, a year and a half? And we’ve recruited **** all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PH91
27-02-2022, 03:47 PM
Absolutely superb today. He covered so much ground and was still going strong in the last minute, was very aggressive in his closing down and used the ball well.

Motm between him and porto for me.

greenlex
27-02-2022, 03:48 PM
Had a fine game today.

bigwheel
27-02-2022, 03:53 PM
His best game for us ..should help build his confidence …

ekhibee
27-02-2022, 04:03 PM
Absolutely superb today. He covered so much ground and was still going strong in the last minute, was very aggressive in his closing down and used the ball well.

Motm between him and porto for me.

Yep, totally agree, and hope those that have been slagging him off will also compliment him on todays performance. Keep it up Josh.

Big_Franck
27-02-2022, 04:06 PM
His best game for Hibs today I think. He put in such a good shift defensively and he was decent in keeping possession. He kept Rogic very quiet and that's not easy to do.

There were two moments in the last 5 minutes that summed up his performance for me. We had a counter at about 87mins with only one player up. Campbell sprinted past the man with the ball to receive a pass and win us a corner at a time in the match when he'd have been absolutely shattered. He also then brought down a Celtic player on 90 mins in the middle of the park, immediately got up and sprinted past another celtic player to get back in the box to defend the cross. The energy he has is unbelievable.

LaMotta
27-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Yep, totally agree, and hope those that have been slagging him off will also compliment him on todays performance. Keep it up Josh.

The criticism of him since returning from the winter break has been justified. However the praise coming his way today is also justified - by far and away his best game for Hibs, looked like a different man from previous weeks :aok:

B.H.F.C
27-02-2022, 04:13 PM
Thought he did really, really well today.

Games like that suit him much more than a game where we have the bulk of the ball. Although he had one outstanding switch of play on the volley in the second half.

Mikey_1875
27-02-2022, 04:14 PM
Played well today but it was a game that played to his strengths in energy, tackling and chasing down midfielders. Where he needs to improve on to play centre midfield for us is when he has the ball at his feet.

wookie70
27-02-2022, 04:25 PM
He was my MOTM today. Probably the main reason Rogic got subbed and had a great game

Vault Boy
27-02-2022, 04:34 PM
That left footed volley pass he pulled off in the second half was a thing of beauty. Well played, Josh.

Inconsequential
27-02-2022, 05:16 PM
Great to see Campbell along with Wright getting praise. Both written off by many Hibsnet experts as not good enough. Support the players and the team.

JimBHibees
27-02-2022, 05:29 PM
Great to see Campbell along with Wright getting praise. Both written off by many Hibsnet experts as not good enough. Support the players and the team.

Agree with that thought Campbell in particular was excellent

Pilrig_Sauzee
27-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Often I’ve seen players come through And wish them well but think they’ll never make it. With Josh i think the opposite, he’s not been great but i think he will be like Porto soon, and be a first name on the sheet. He’ll continue to make mistakes but i beieve he’s good enough, and come the end of the season he’ll be one of the most improved.

Unseen work
27-02-2022, 05:49 PM
That left footed volley pass he pulled off in the second half was a thing of beauty. Well played, Josh.

:agree: If Thiago done that for Liverpool you’d be seeing it everywhere for a week.

Wilson
27-02-2022, 05:50 PM
:agree: If Thiago done that for Liverpool you’d be seeing it everywhere for a week.

Not much chance of that - he's no Josh Campbell.

Winston Ingram
27-02-2022, 07:24 PM
The boy’s a player.

Stuart93
27-02-2022, 07:28 PM
Done really well today. Chalk & cheese from how he played last weekend. Constantly showing for the ball as well today

Viva_Palmeiras
28-02-2022, 07:33 AM
Often I’ve seen players come through And wish them well but think they’ll never make it. With Josh i think the opposite, he’s not been great but i think he will be like Porto soon, and be a first name on the sheet. He’ll continue to make mistakes but i beieve he’s good enough, and come the end of the season he’ll be one of the most improved.

If we’re giving youth a change, we need to give youth a chance.
Folks that get on the backs of our developing players should really have a think - I’ll never understand it - maybe it’s cause I didn’t play football to a highly competitive standard. Maybe once the dinosaurs are extinct our kids will be freer to make mistakes and express themselves. The debate rages on…

JimBHibees
28-02-2022, 08:28 AM
If we’re giving youth a change, we need to give youth a chance.
Folks that get on the backs of our developing players should really have a think - I’ll never understand it - maybe it’s cause I didn’t play football to a highly competitive standard. Maybe once the dinosaurs are extinct our kids will be freer to make mistakes and express themselves. The debate rages on…

Yes they must be allowed to make mistakes without a ridiculous overreaction from the terracing

Diclonius
28-02-2022, 08:46 AM
Josh Campbell redemption arc

jacomo
28-02-2022, 02:25 PM

Nice dig at your fellow fans there, but both have struggled in previous matches.

B.H.F.C
28-02-2022, 03:05 PM
Nice dig at your fellow fans there, but both have struggled in previous matches.

The praise they’ve got does away with the idea that, generally, certain players can’t win IMO. Granted, there might be the odd person that refuses to say anything positive but most folk call what they see. They’ve had a lot of stick because of poor performances (in the case of Wright over a prolonged period). Still to be convinced Campbell will be a player for us. Yesterday suited him, similar to the semi final against Rangers, when you’re out of possession a lot of the time. Although he did use the ball well yesterday.

leith lynx
28-02-2022, 03:36 PM
Yes they must be allowed to make mistakes without a ridiculous overreaction from the terracing

Completely agree, Josh is a young laddie still learning his trade, was excellent against Celtic and plays for the jersey.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Good yesterday, but well deserved criticism on here previous. Been poor overall since coming in. No idea why saying that is such a crime. He'll be 22 soon. That is old enough to be getting stick for bad games. God knows Cummings, Fyvie, Fletcher, Porteous, Mcgeouch etc got plenty at his age despite all being better players.

Mr. Wonderful
28-02-2022, 05:47 PM
Good yesterday, but well deserved criticism on here previous. Been poor overall since coming in. No idea why saying that is such a crime. He'll be 22 soon. That is old enough to be getting stick for bad games. God knows Cummings, Fyvie, Fletcher, Porteous, Mcgeouch etc got plenty at his age despite all being better players.

Wasn't half as bad as some others in the team on those occasions and wasn't nearly as bad as some people thought he was, he's been criticised more than most earlier in the season because he'd been playing in the position that fan boy Allan plays in.

B.H.F.C
28-02-2022, 05:58 PM
Wasn't half as bad as some others in the team on those occasions and wasn't nearly as bad as some people thought he was, he's been criticised more than most earlier in the season because he'd been playing in the position that fan boy Allan plays in.

It’s nothing to do with Allan. It’s because he’s played a lot of games in a midfield that has struggled. When he’s done well, like yesterday, most folk say so.

MWHIBBIES
28-02-2022, 06:20 PM

No, he was as bad as others in team. He absolutely was. Allan might be struggling now, but he has shown over years how talented he is. Something Campbell is yet to do.

LaMotta
28-02-2022, 07:15 PM
The praise they’ve got does away with the idea that, generally, certain players can’t win IMO. Granted, there might be the odd person that refuses to say anything positive but most folk call what they see. They’ve had a lot of stick because of poor performances (in the case of Wright over a prolonged period). Still to be convinced Campbell will be a player for us. Yesterday suited him, similar to the semi final against Rangers, when you’re out of possession a lot of the time. Although he did use the ball well yesterday.

It’s nothing to do with Allan. It’s because he’s played a lot of games in a midfield that has struggled. When he’s done well, like yesterday, most folk say so.

:agree: Campbell has deservedly had praise for yesterday's performance - that doesn't change the fact his performances have been poor overall since January. Lets hope he kicks on from here.

Shrekko
28-02-2022, 07:28 PM
No, he was as bad as others in team. He absolutely was. Allan might be struggling now, but he has shown over years how talented he is. Something Campbell is yet to do.

So you think the criticism of a young player in his first full season was/is proportionate?

People weren't just saying he'd had a poor game - they were saying he would NEVER be good enough. That may prove to be the case in time, but it is totally unfair to write off somebody that young would you not agree?

Stonewall
01-03-2022, 08:23 PM

Not a crime. Just palpable nonsense.

MWHIBBIES
02-03-2022, 04:28 AM

I always take it really seriously when someone calls my opinion nonsense and backs that up with nothing whatsoever.

Since452
02-03-2022, 05:19 AM
I think Campbell, with the exception of Doig, is the best young player to break through in a long time. Infinitely better than the likes of Stanton and Handling and others that have been and gone. Has he been good enough of late though? Absolutely not. But in fairness it hasn't just been him. Sunday he showed what he was capable of. Hopefully he shows it more now.

Stonewall
02-03-2022, 08:13 AM
I always take it really seriously when someone calls my opinion nonsense and backs that up with nothing whatsoever.

Why. We're both looking at the same thing and drawing different conclusions. I see an inexperienced, fairly young player in his first season of top level football doing well to bridge the huge gap that exists from what he played before.

Due to our well documented injury problems and the absurd fixture congestion in December (maybe related) he's been asked to play a lot of games in a struggling team and after a promising start his form shaded. However the last few weeks I've seen signs of him coming back to form and showing genuine signs of progress. If he's dealt with properly I think we could have a very good player on our hands over the next few years. I think he has great energy, is not afraid of a tackle and has a good temperament. He is a good passer of the ball and plays in a disciplined manner within a tactical framework. Does he have room to improve? Yes. I hope to see him imposing himself on games more and being more positive with his passing. Does he make the odd stupid mistake? Yes. None of this is unexpected from someone in their first season of first team football. A solid 7 out of 10.

You give grudging compliments, disregard all the circumstances and see a player you don't think is hitting the mark and that he deserves to be slagged off. I'll withdraw nonsense if it makes you feel better but...

There you are 20 minutes of my life wasted.

J-C
02-03-2022, 01:51 PM
Why. We're both looking at the same thing and drawing different conclusions. I see an inexperienced, fairly young player in his first season of top level football doing well to bridge the huge gap that exists from what he played before.

Due to our well documented injury problems and the absurd fixture congestion in December (maybe related) he's been asked to play a lot of games in a struggling team and after a promising start his form shaded. However the last few weeks I've seen signs of him coming back to form and showing genuine signs of progress. If he's dealt with properly I think we could have a very good player on our hands over the next few years. I think he has great energy, is not afraid of a tackle and has a good temperament. He is a good passer of the ball and plays in a disciplined manner within a tactical framework. Does he have room to improve? Yes. I hope to see him imposing himself on games more and being more positive with his passing. Does he make the odd stupid mistake? Yes. None of this is unexpected from someone in their first season of first team football. A solid 7 out of 10.

You give grudging compliments, disregard all the circumstances and see a player you don't think is hitting the mark and that he deserves to be slagged off. I'll withdraw nonsense if it makes you feel better but...

There you are 20 minutes of my life wasted.

Also too many going on about his age at 22 and he's no a laddie anymore, some lads develop at different levels, Campbell seems to a late bloomer.

Unseen work
02-03-2022, 02:28 PM
Campbell was really good on Sunday and tbf I think his best games have been against the bigger teams.

But it’s games like tonight where he (and the rest of the team) really needs to show his quality. When we have the majority of the ball and need to break teams down or when the opposition are hunting us down trying to capitalise on our mistakes.

We need to dominate the midfield tonight and we can’t allow Adam to lift his head and start
spraying passes.

On the ball we need to be sharp, accurate and creative.

greenlex
02-03-2022, 04:03 PM
Not so sure it’s palpable nonsense but more opinionated waffle.

pacoluna
02-03-2022, 10:27 PM
Very poor tonight. Gave the ball away three times in about 5 minutes that led to Dundee chances.