PDA

View Full Version : Hearts Tactics

hibbie02
04-02-2022, 10:41 PM
Watched the Derby in full and watched the Man U game tonight. What jumped out was the way Hibs played so well in the first half but were shut down in the second. It was like something changed. Watching tonight I saw players able to play and pass. So what was the difference. It was something I have seen only when Hearts play Hibs.

The Jambos changed in the second half, from closing down the passer to crowding the receiver. This is something that rang a bell from previous Derbies. When you watch them, every time a Hibs player was likely to receive the ball there were at least and often 2 of them around him. Thinking back this seems to be a common memory. It is not something I recall seeing in other matches. Is it me or is it maybe a Jambo tactic they deploy against us. It jus seemed so obvious in the second half and equally obvious tonight?

H18 SFR
05-02-2022, 12:57 AM
To be fair, I think Hearts are well coached out of possession. They are also improving in possession. Team to beat for third but both derbies have shown we are even Stevens.

The size of their pitch helps them greatly to adopt that tactic out of possession.

Itsnoteasy
05-02-2022, 12:58 AM
Watched the Derby in full and watched the Man U game tonight. What jumped out was the way Hibs played so well in the first half but were shut down in the second. It was like something changed. Watching tonight I saw players able to play and pass. So what was the difference. It was something I have seen only when Hearts play Hibs.

The Jambos changed in the second half, from closing down the passer to crowding the receiver. This is something that rang a bell from previous Derbies. When you watch them, every time a Hibs player was likely to receive the ball there were at least and often 2 of them around him. Thinking back this seems to be a common memory. It is not something I recall seeing in other matches. Is it me or is it maybe a Jambo tactic they deploy against us. It jus seemed so obvious in the second half and equally obvious tonight?

How do you know its just against us?

CentreLine
05-02-2022, 02:58 AM

We actually see it from the the Rangers, especially when they have done well in Europe. Also, to some extent, from the St Johnston side last year, to name but two other sides. It just give footballing sides little space to progress. Oh, and leads to that terminally boring passing around the back, unsuccessful throw ins and such.

hibbie02
05-02-2022, 07:28 AM

I don't, but that is the only time I see them play....

Rick Rude
05-02-2022, 07:54 AM
I thought the biggest difference was crowding the wings. Not letting Cadden or Doig/Mitchell get one on one with their fullback by doubling or trebling up. I was quite surprised it took until half time for them to start doing it as it's exactly what Livi did in the 2nd half and we struggled then. I would have expected them to have watched that game and played that way from the start.

I think it's going to be important for us to find a way to create chances through the middle or more and more teams are going to close us down this way.

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2022, 08:06 AM
I thought the biggest difference was crowding the wings. Not letting Cadden or Doig/Mitchell get one on one with their fullback by doubling or trebling up. I was quite surprised it took until half time for them to start doing it as it's exactly what Livi did in the 2nd half and we struggled then. I would have expected them to have watched that game and played that way from the start.

I think it's going to be important for us to find a way to create chances through the middle or more and more teams are going to close us down this way.

It's back to the same issue we have had since Magennis has been out of the team, we very seldom create chances from central midfield. Boyle was the exception when we had him, but even his cutting edge was down the flank.

The situation we now find ourselves in, is if a team stops our wing backs getting forward, it's more than likely we don't score. Our dead ball delivery in attacking positions is also very poor which doesn't help.

Orchard_Hibs
05-02-2022, 08:38 AM
It's back to the same issue we have had since Magennis has been out of the team, we very seldom create chances from central midfield. Boyle was the exception when we had him, but even his cutting edge was down the flank.

The situation we now find ourselves in, is if a team stops our wing backs getting forward, it's more than likely we don't score. Our dead ball delivery in attacking positions is also very poor which doesn't help.

I usually think the same about dead ball situations, but on Tuesday I actually thought we looked really dangerous from corners and free kicks, against hearts corners against us give me the fear but I think we where definitely more dangerous from these on Tuesday.

Keith_M
05-02-2022, 08:48 AM
This is a common tactic used by a lot of teams, not really Hearts specific.

superfurryhibby
05-02-2022, 08:55 AM

I'm no tactical genius, but how do teams respond to that. They must surely alter their approach if it's being stifled by the opposition tactics?

Tuesday was very much the classic game of two halfs.

hibbie02
05-02-2022, 09:08 AM

Common tactic by crap teams who’s only tactic is to stifle attacking flair. Not so much pressing, more stifling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

where'stheslope
05-02-2022, 09:32 AM
Can't believe we're writing the St Mirren play book for them on our forum????
Games are hard enough, so why give out free advice to the opposition????

H18 SFR
05-02-2022, 09:36 AM

You’re not genuinely suggesting that a manager of a professional football club would look at a fans forum to gain an insight or tactical advice are you?

where'stheslope
05-02-2022, 09:42 AM
You’re not genuinely suggesting that a manager of a professional football club would look at a fans forum to gain an insight or tactical advice are you?
Does it have to be the manager? Some of the players in the team go on social media all the time.
Supporters are forever infiltrating other teams forums as we all know!
Just pass on to whoever in the passing!!!

WeeRussell
05-02-2022, 09:42 AM

Hopefully they’ve not spotted the Martin Boyle’s away thread.

Eyrie
05-02-2022, 10:07 AM

Given the regularity of threads on here criticising our own players, that may work to our advantage :wink:

mixumatosis
05-02-2022, 10:09 AM

Wild, isn't it ? Saw a similar comment the other day when it was becoming apparent that Macey was going to miss the Derby.

I really don't credit Robbie Replay with a huge amount of tactical nous, but I am pretty sure whether he found out an hour or a day before, he'd manage to come up with "the keeper will be nervous, test him early, give him a nudge and a bump, noise him up" either way.

Keith_M
05-02-2022, 10:19 AM
Wild, isn't it ? Saw a similar comment the other day when it was becoming apparent that Macey was going to miss the Derby.

I really don't credit Robbie Replay with a huge amount of tactical nous, but I am pretty sure whether he found out an hour or a day before, he'd manage to come up with "the keeper will be nervous, test him early, give him a nudge and a bump, noise him up" either way.

It's like the comments that people make about Hibs having no chance of winning if the fans are being negative.

Yeah, 'cos some posts on a message board are the deciding factor on whether Hibs will win a game.

I don't know why they bother talking to the pitch sometimes, just check the St Mirren and Hibs message boards and base the result on who has the most moaners.*

* Us, obviously, but that's neither here nor there

hibbie02
05-02-2022, 10:28 AM

You mean the whole St Mirren management team didn’t bother watching the game on Tuesday but waited to pick up the full analysis on here? Maybe Shaun is also looking in and plotting a cunning strategy to foul the newly researched St M playbook.

Who knew how vital .net is to what we will see in the next match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CentreLine
05-02-2022, 10:46 AM
It's like the comments that people make about Hibs having no chance of winning if the fans are being negative.

Yeah, 'cos some posts on a message board are the deciding factor on whether Hibs will win a game.

I don't know why they bother talking to the pitch sometimes, just check the St Mirren and Hibs message boards and base the result on who has the most moaners.*

Aw come on! There are people that will not cut their nails or wear the wrong clothes for fear of jinxing a result. This stuff is way down the list of odd behaviour 🤣

05-02-2022, 10:59 AM

I don't think Hibs have no chance of winning if the fans are being negative but I do believe the chances of winning increase if we get behind the team rather than on their backs.

Keith_M
05-02-2022, 11:44 AM
I don't think Hibs have no chance of winning if the fans are being negative but I do believe the chances of winning increase if we get behind the team rather than on their backs.

True, but I'm sure they don't read DotNet during the game. 😏

jacomo
05-02-2022, 12:12 PM
I'm no tactical genius, but how do teams respond to that. They must surely alter their approach if it's being stifled by the opposition tactics?

Tuesday was very much the classic game of two halfs.

Football tactics are all about action and reaction. You are constantly trying to exploit your opponent’s weaknesses and stifle their threat, and vice versa.

In this situation, if the pass isn’t on, hold onto the ball! Be brave, do something with it. If our wing backs are being doubled up then there will be spaces elsewhere on the park.

We need players who can see this happening and react to it… not sure we are all that good at it.

superfurryhibby
05-02-2022, 12:34 PM
Football tactics are all about action and reaction. You are constantly trying to exploit your opponent’s weaknesses and stifle their threat, and vice versa.

In this situation, if the pass isn’t on, hold onto the ball! Be brave, do something with it. If our wing backs are being doubled up then there will be spaces elsewhere on the park.

We need players who can see this happening and react to it… not sure we are all that good at it.

Sounds reasonable to me. Hence why bringing on Drey Wright and Josh Campbell struck me as a poor response from Maloney on Tuesday. It seemed more about consolidating and holding on for a point.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2022, 12:40 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. Hence why bringing on Drey Wright and Josh Campbell struck me as a poor response from Maloney on Tuesday. It seemed more about consolidating and holding on for a point.

Campbell almost won us the game, hardly a consolidating decision

Itsnoteasy
05-02-2022, 12:42 PM
I don't, but that is the only time I see them play....

Good tactics from Hertz then as it obviously worked.

Sweet Left Peg
05-02-2022, 12:55 PM
Don't just press the ball, press where the ball is likely to go next. It limits the options of the team with the ball and increases the likelihood of winning back possession. Simple really.