PDA

View Full Version : Worst conditions you’ve watched the Hibees play in…?

Viva_Palmeiras
04-02-2022, 08:23 PM
Away Pre-season against Raith under Yogi.

monsoon of biblical proportions saw the game abandoned as one of the floodlights failed and couldn’t get reset. Players came out and were instantly drenched farcical conditions. Abandoned iirc after break/ half time pies and borvil had been consumed ! The drain surges outside the stadium were something else. For reference see the James video for Sometimes - “It’s a monsoon!” :)

Bonus point and respect to the Hibee ( I think used to post on here) who ‘fessed up that it was he who headed an errant shot in the warm up straight back on to the pitch (prior to the storm clouds descending)
At ER:

I wasn’t as the game against the Liths but was present for a game against St Mirren in the era of Miller - Fitzpatrick was probably the opposing manager and for the whole game either sleet or rain blew into the East from a horizontal angle… bitterly cold and underfoot conditions treatcherois iirc.

Coco Bryce
04-02-2022, 08:24 PM
After about 15 pints.

Green Reaper
04-02-2022, 08:28 PM
Intertoto cup game but can’t remember who against. Thunder, lightning? monsoon rain and waterlogged pitch. When I got in to West stand lower a guy asked me if I fell in to the Water of Leith as I was soaking through. I think the game only went ahead cecause the other team couldn’t afford to come back and play if the game was postponed, or so I heard.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2022, 08:29 PM
There's been plenty but one moment that sticks in my mind was a minutes silence for Jock Stein standing on the terrace behind the goals at Dens Park. It was ****ing awful cold driving rain right in to the coupon and immaculately observed.

heretoday
04-02-2022, 08:30 PM
I remember a game V Motherwell in about 1980 on a frozen pitch in mid January. It was the only game on in Scotland I think and shouldn't have been played.

Iggy Pope
Intertoto cup game but can’t remember who against. Thunder, lightning? monsoon rain and waterlogged pitch. When I got in to West stand lower a guy asked me if I fell in to the Water of Leith as I was soaking through. I think the game only went ahead cecause the other team couldn’t afford to come back and play if the game was postponed, or so I heard.

Vetra I think. Paddling pool in the NW corner.

Viva_Palmeiras

that was the one I thought of was it Liths or Elsingsborg?

Green Reaper
04-02-2022, 08:32 PM
that was the one I thought of was it Liths or Elsingsborg?

Liths I think

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-02-2022, 08:32 PM

The weather in Vilnius for the 2nd leg more than made up for it, even if the result didn't. 😀

Iggy Pope
04-02-2022, 08:35 PM
The weather in Vilnius for the 2nd leg more than made up for it, even if the result didn't. 😀

All sorts of things in Vilnius made up for it!

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-02-2022, 08:36 PM
All sorts of things in Vilnius made up for it!

Indeed 😲

Green Reaper
04-02-2022, 08:37 PM

That’s it, 2004, Mowbray first game in charge

Is It On....
04-02-2022, 08:40 PM
Dundee United away...Ivan Golac was their manager. Hibs were terrible (not unusual in Lexo era), it was absolutely freezing and then the snow started to blow in our faces.....only positive was a couple of pints in the Centre Court when we got back to Edinburgh..

Jones28
04-02-2022, 08:42 PM

I don’t think so, think it was a couple of seasons later - CIS Cup season. I’m sure I bought the top that day.

Green Reaper
04-02-2022, 08:45 PM
I don’t think so, think it was a couple of seasons later - CIS Cup season. I’m sure I bought the top that day.

Fair play, just going by a quick google search.

Lancs Harp
04-02-2022, 08:47 PM
Different angle, in a pub in Blackpool, v Rangers. me and about 20 Rangers fans.They were ok to be fair.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2022, 08:57 PM

No, definitely Mowbray's first season. 2004/05. Killie first league game. Vetra was the downpour game no doubt.
You maybe thinking of Dinaburg in 2006? Very different score.

Glory Lurker
04-02-2022, 08:58 PM
Cup against Killie in 96. Snow blasting in directly from the north. Almost knocked over by it sitting in the East. Freezing, then soaked when it melted.

And we lost 2-0. Paul Wright scored too (?). Terrible afternoon.

Since452
04-02-2022, 08:59 PM
Cowdenbeath in the Championship. Left at Half time and went to the pub.

green with envy
04-02-2022, 09:00 PM

Should have been sacked.

Hiber-nation
04-02-2022, 09:04 PM

That was brutal. No idea how the pitch survived that, worst rain I've ever experienced at a football match and it had to be at Central Park of all places.

MagicSwirlingShip
04-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Cowdenbeath was horrendous, absolutely soaked to the bone

cameronw-hfc
04-02-2022, 09:08 PM

Done the exact same thing with my mates. Horrific day

O'Rourke3
04-02-2022, 09:09 PM
Dinaburg game springs to mind but a home game versus St Mirren where it was freezing and pissing down that Hibs let the Saints fans into the Enclusure/ old South to get out of the weather. Before the new stands went up. Sure we lost 0-1 too

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
04-02-2022, 09:15 PM
Done the exact same thing with my mates. Horrific day

Same here.

PatHead
04-02-2022, 09:18 PM

And they only one kettle for tea for the whole away support! Couldn't even get a cup of tea to warm me up.

Is It On....
04-02-2022, 09:22 PM

I remember reading about that on here.. didn't they have only one refreshments kiosk and run out of hot drinks? Just as well no swearing allowed on .net 😂

Iggy Pope
04-02-2022, 09:24 PM
I remember reading about that on here..just as well no swearing allowed on .net 😂

Bit of controversy about whether taking a brolly to a game was within the boundaries of good etiquette.

PatHead
04-02-2022, 09:29 PM
I remember reading about that on here.. didn't they have only one refreshments kiosk and run out of hot drinks? Just as well no swearing allowed on .net 😂

Kiosk was an exaggeration. It was an old caravan.

The second time we went that season it was a lovely day. During the first half a guy right next to the directors box was being bigoted and swearing away at the top of his voice.

She complained and nothing was done so she climbed over the wall and went among the Hibs support.

HibsIntl
04-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Was that hungover I was sick on my ticket, wiped it away and let it dry in the sun for 5 minutes and got in.
Absolute worst condition of my life, a good story but

Eyrie
04-02-2022, 09:32 PM
Cup against Killie in 96. Snow blasting in directly from the north. Almost knocked over by it sitting in the East. Freezing, then soaked when it melted.

I remember that one.

My season ticket at the time was in row H of the old North, so usually sheltered, but that day I still had to put up with the snow blowing into my seat.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2022, 09:38 PM
Was that hungover I was sick on my ticket, wiped it away and let it dry in the sun for 5 minutes and got in.
Absolute worst condition of my life, a good story but

Where was that mate? I was sick in a bag on the (Hawkhill) bus on the way to 85 LC final. Gutted when I realised there was a big hole in the bottom of the bag. So was everyone else on the bus.

Logie Green
04-02-2022, 09:40 PM
Bit of controversy about whether taking a brolly to a game was within the boundaries of good etiquette.

I remember seeing a male Hibs fan in the ground at Cowdenbeath that day with an umbrella which said ‘I Love My Mum’ on it. I assume he bought it in the high street there out of desperation...

Rumble de Thump
04-02-2022, 09:41 PM
Worst conditions I've seen us play in are steaming and blootered.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2022, 09:44 PM
I remember seeing a male Hibs fan in the ground at Cowdenbeath that day with an umbrella which said ‘I Love My Mum’ on it. I assume he bought it in the high street there out of desperation...

Wisnae me but I did love my mum!

Hibee Mac
04-02-2022, 09:50 PM
Cowdenbeath for me too, I didn't come prepared for the weather at all either which made it even worse, soggy shoes are no fun.

Carheenlea
04-02-2022, 09:55 PM
Another for Cowdenbeath away in 2014. Never been so wet.

Got train back to Edinburgh then went straight to a Sleaford Mods gig in the Electric Circus. Despite being about 4 hours after the game a puddle of water was forming at my feet during the show.

BILLYHIBS
04-02-2022, 10:00 PM
Scottish Cup

Hibernian 0 v 2 Kilmarnock

P Wright 2

Snow blizzard and baltic

SPL

Hibernian 1 v 0 Celtic

Griffiths

Remember this December fixture as being absolutely baltic

linlithgowhibbie
04-02-2022, 10:02 PM

Agree with this one, my son and daughter were the mascots and were frozen and soaked through. We sat in the back row of the main stand and still got snow all over us.

Alex Trager
04-02-2022, 10:24 PM

Winner

He's here!
04-02-2022, 10:27 PM
No hail, rain or thunderstorms involved but I remember an away Scottish Cup tie at Stirling Albion the season we reached the final under McLeish when the fog was so thick we had no idea what was going on.

SteveHFC
04-02-2022, 10:33 PM
No hail, rain or thunderstorms involved but I remember an away Scottish Cup tie at Stirling Albion the season we reached the final under McLeish when the fog was so thick we had no idea what was going on.

That should have been called off. You didn’t even know if we scored or not.

Crab apple
04-02-2022, 11:17 PM
Friday night friendly v Dinamo Moscow in early 80’s. Baltic.
St Johnstone in Perth early 90’s. Game abandoned at half time because of snow.
Cowdenbeath. Soaked
Queen of the South. Game where Lewis was sent off. Absolutely drenched. Same season as the Cowdenbeath game I think.

BS44
04-02-2022, 11:31 PM
2nd January 1984 1 1 draw at Tynecastle. It rained all day, was a horrible cold wet afternoon and we had Gorgie Road end which wasn't covered. Pitch was a muddy mess and a lot of water sitting on the grass, that game in those conditions wouldn't go ahead these days.

Willie Irvine scored a brilliant equaliser for Hibs.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-02-2022, 11:33 PM
Another for Cowdenbeath in the first championship season. So so bad

zitelli62
04-02-2022, 11:35 PM

Got train there luckily I stayed at South gyle at the time got of train and was in Bath by 5.45 even then I was still frozen o ly memory was asking for a bovril during the game and the old dear telling me I had to wait on the kettle boiling you couldn't make it up the championship was an adventure though Cowdenbeath was brutal god knows what they will do when the smoking ban comes in over there.

B.H.F.C
04-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Aberdeen away when Yogi was manager. Stokes scored twice but I remember standing in the back row, frozen, and the snow still hitting me. Honestly don’t think I’ll be as cold as that in my life, ever again.

CockneyRebel
04-02-2022, 11:42 PM
Surprised that this one has not been mentioned yet. Late 80s I think it was. Midweek game (can't remember who we were playing, not a cat A game antway). Monsoon all day. Watching tv all early evening (pre internet) waiting for game to be called off. Game on confirmed by about 40 minutes before ko. Rushed for bus, still stair rodding. Bus diversions all over the place due to low bridges where roads which dipped under low bridge were flooded and general bus service disruption. Got to London Road just after ko and WADED along to ER. Got into the cave well into the first half to be told we were one up (Micky Weir). Spent rest of the game drenched as the rain was blown under the roof of the cave (covered standing enclosure now the FF stand) and could not see any action as the heavy rain was as bad as a fog. Ended one nil, never saw the goal got home about half eleven, took 4 Lemsips and still woke up sneezing/shivering/and snottery next day. Mrs just looked at me and shook her head (sound familiar guys).

Ah .........the romance of football.

CraigHibee
05-02-2022, 01:14 AM
Was either 87/88, had been torrential rain all day and we had st mirren at home, if I remember correctly we beat them 3-2, was in the cowshed that day and can remember the keepers box being quite water logged due to the rain as it was seriously pishing down

Auckland Hibs
05-02-2022, 03:13 AM
Tynecastle around 97-98, walked from Chesser Ave to the game in a monsoon then stood in the open end for 90 mins as it absolutely hosed down - think it was 0-0 but I could care less by the end as I couldn't feel my hands or feet by that point

hibee316
05-02-2022, 05:28 AM

This.
Remember not being able to see large parts of the pitch.

No idea why it was allowed to continue.

Ah, memories!

One Day
05-02-2022, 07:09 AM

The most soaked I've ever been at a football game

Killiehibbie
05-02-2022, 07:28 AM
Torrential pies, bovril, pish, coins and sectarian bile.

Winston Ingram
05-02-2022, 07:45 AM
Cowdenbeath. I remember some boy putting a brolly up and him getting pelters.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2022, 07:45 AM
Rain or snow or thunderstorms I’d go

Hibernian

Hibee Hibernian

I don’t feel the cold either :greengrin

HibbyDave
05-02-2022, 08:02 AM
Maribor away. The heaviest rain I’ve ever seen. Lightning flashes that were truly scary.

CockneyRebel
05-02-2022, 08:12 AM
Was either 87/88, had been torrential rain all day and we had st mirren at home, if I remember correctly we beat them 3-2, was in the cowshed that day and can remember the keepers box being quite water logged due to the rain as it was seriously pishing down

Pretty sure it was one nil with Mickey scoring the only goal before I got into the ground.

MWHIBBIES
05-02-2022, 08:16 AM
That Cowden game was rough but it was only so brutal because we were outside I think. Probably all been to dozens with rain as bad or worse but we've been covered. Stayed to the end no bother.

The Raith one that got called off was pretty bad. There was one there a couple of years later which was probably as hot as I've ever been at a game. Was absolutely melting.

Mon Dieu4
05-02-2022, 08:23 AM
Tynecastle around 97-98, walked from Chesser Ave to the game in a monsoon then stood in the open end for 90 mins as it absolutely hosed down - think it was 0-0 but I could care less by the end as I couldn't feel my hands or feet by that point

Sure that was the last game of their old away end, We ended ripping up the bucket seats and holding them above our heads for shelter :faf:

bringbackbenny
05-02-2022, 08:25 AM
0-7 at Ibrox was the coldest day i can remember, rubbish day all round (:

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-02-2022, 08:25 AM
Maribor away. The heaviest rain I’ve ever seen. Lightning flashes that were truly scary.

That was quite damp 😉

Crunchie
05-02-2022, 08:47 AM
A game in the old first division through at Brockville in the Big Eck days, old terracing blowing a gale, wet and freezing. At least we won :greengrin

Jamesie
05-02-2022, 08:57 AM

This is definitely the worst weather I’ve ever seen us play in, no doubt, although when it comes to the cold I seem to recall us playing in those really cold winters of about 2009 / 2010 in some really, really cold conditions - was it not minus 6C at kick off time for one of the matches?

DJ HIBBY
05-02-2022, 09:08 AM
A game in the old first division through at Brockville in the Big Eck days, old terracing blowing a gale, wet and freezing. At least we won :greengrin

Sauzees debut. Baltic that day!

Crunchie
05-02-2022, 09:11 AM
Sauzees debut. Baltic that day!
Yes, my kid wanted to leave at HT.

zlatan
05-02-2022, 09:16 AM
This is definitely the worst weather I’ve ever seen us play in, no doubt, although when it comes to the cold I seem to recall us playing in those really cold winters of about 2009 / 2010 in some really, really cold conditions - was it not minus 6C at kick off time for one of the matches?

Irvine Meadow in the cup is the coldest I've ever been at ER.

Bobo
05-02-2022, 09:19 AM
My memory isn't great but I seem to remember a game at Easter Road, I think during the late 70's - early 80's, where it was hammering down with rain the whole game and the crowd was so small on the terracing that they opened up the seated enclosure and let everyone in there to shelter for the rest of the game.

Anyone else remember this and who it was against, I think the crowd was under 2000?

Onceinawhile
05-02-2022, 09:24 AM

Think yourself lucky. I was mascot that day and had go run out in a strip.

.Sean.
05-02-2022, 09:24 AM
Was at the aforementioned Dinaburg and Vetra which poured down. A few games I can remember being particularly baltic was an Inverness away under Fenlon at the start of the year, and Aberdeen away/ Rangers at home around the snow in December 2009. Beyond freezing

Crunchie
05-02-2022, 09:26 AM
My memory isn't great but I seem to remember a game at Easter Road, I think during the late 70's - early 80's, where it was hammering down with rain the whole game and the crowd was so small on the terracing that they opened up the seated enclosure and let everyone in there to shelter for the rest of the game.

Anyone else remember this and who it was against, I think the crowd was under 2000?
I was a regular back then and remember it, but not who it was against. Not sure why they did it because that was a regular occurrence back in the day. That terracing was brutal in the winter back then with the sparse crowds.

Iggy Pope
05-02-2022, 09:28 AM

Long soaking walk back into the town afterwards and straight to the bar with Blackpool, Hibbyradge and the match ball!

Iggy Pope
05-02-2022, 09:29 AM

They did that a lot but some of us held our ground :greengrin

Bobo
05-02-2022, 09:35 AM
They did that a lot but some of us held our ground :greengrin

:tee hee:

greenlex
05-02-2022, 09:44 AM
Away Pre-season against Raith under Yogi.

monsoon of biblical proportions saw the game abandoned as one of the floodlights failed and couldn’t get reset. Players came out and were instantly drenched farcical conditions. Abandoned iirc after break/ half time pies and borvil had been consumed ! The drain surges outside the stadium were something else. For reference see the James video for Sometimes - “It’s a monsoon!” :)

Bonus point and respect to the Hibee ( I think used to post on here) who ‘fessed up that it was he who headed an errant shot in the warm up straight back on to the pitch (prior to the storm clouds descending)
At ER:

I wasn’t as the game against the Liths but was present for a game against St Mirren in the era of Miller - Fitzpatrick was probably the opposing manager and for the whole game either sleet or rain blew into the East from a horizontal angle… bitterly cold and underfoot conditions treatcherois iirc.
I’ll claim the bonus point:aok: It was Greenlex. :wink:
Cowdenbeath was as bad as it gets although the rain was also insane at Raith.

Mick O'Rourke
05-02-2022, 09:45 AM
Game in todays weather so far will be for the brave and hardy.

WeeRussell
05-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Had a few ‘freezing ma baws off’ hibs days but in terms of severe weather it may genuinely have been the 5 minutes during Rob Jones cup win against Killie!

LancashireHibby
06-02-2022, 07:57 PM
Trains were a nightmare when we played Cowdenbeath so I only arrived about half an hour in to the game. Folk were leaving the ground as I was trying to get in!

Dmas
06-02-2022, 08:13 PM
Went to a inter toto cup game think mogga was in charge absolutely hammered down with rain on the way to the game was soaked to the bone

DH1875
06-02-2022, 08:46 PM
Airdrie away at their old stadium. Freezing and in the snow. Remember having a snowball fight in the stadium.

Remember going to St Johnstone and getting stuck in the snow on way there. Game got postponed and we were stuck outside Perth for hours. Was my birthday too 😠.

Green Reaper
06-02-2022, 08:49 PM
Went to a inter toto cup game think mogga was in charge absolutely hammered down with rain on the way to the game was soaked to the bone

Vetra , see above

Stubbsy90+2
06-02-2022, 08:51 PM

The worst game I’ve ever been to.

I spent a lot of the game facing the wall at the back of the terracing just to stop the rain driving into me.

The 90+2
06-02-2022, 09:07 PM
Stranraer away in the Scottish. 0-0. On the way back the draw for the next round was on - Rangers, Ibrox.

AFKA5814_Hibs
06-02-2022, 09:18 PM
The worst game I’ve ever been to.

I spent a lot of the game facing the wall at the back of the terracing just to stop the rain driving into me.

It was horrendous that day in Cowdenbeath. Non stop rain for the entire match. Trying to watch it through that mesh they have all around the ground didn't help. The whole day was like a throw back to the 80s, the pub before the game was like being in a time warp.

HUTCHYHIBBY
06-02-2022, 10:20 PM
Long soaking walk back into the town afterwards and straight to the bar with Blackpool, Hibbyradge and the match ball!

Was BH still carrying that royal portrait picture that was on show in the town square?

hibstag
06-02-2022, 11:07 PM
A midweek in Inverness under Mowbray minus 6 on the car thermometer.
Got cuffed too...

zitelli62
07-02-2022, 04:21 AM
It was horrendous that day in Cowdenbeath. Non stop rain for the entire match. Trying to watch it through that mesh they have all around the ground didn't help. The whole day was like a throw back to the 80s, the pub before the game was like being in a time warp.
There still waiting on the smoking ban to come into affect over there its horrendous.

MrSmith
07-02-2022, 05:09 AM
The one that sticks in my head was the cup game against Dumbarton at Boghead in the late 80s. Freezing wind and rain, no covered terrace, the pitch resembled a bog with ball regularly getting stuck in the mud. We won 1 nil that day and that was the last time I visited Dumbarton!

BILLYHIBS
07-02-2022, 06:18 AM
I remember the 5-0 Dinaburg game just a sheer wall of torrential monsoon rain prematch

There were massive queues outside the ground trying to get in that had got caught in the deluge and my brother texted me to say he and his laddie had decided to take refuge in a local boozer and were soaked to the skin