PDA

View Full Version : Bestie

Greenbeard
04-02-2022, 09:20 AM
No Hibs clips but here's Bestie at his very best in this compilation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuOkQYayFUI
You just never see players these days riding a tackle the way he did.
I also love the way he so often feigns this way and that but leaves the ball alone and the defenders are totally bamboozled. Like watching a matador with a dumb bull.
And that goal that was disallowed v England. Travesty! I remember watching it live on the telly with my dad and bro.
Get yourself your refreshment/snack of choice and sit back for 17 mins and marvel at the supreme skill of one of the very best.

OldEast
04-02-2022, 09:55 AM
No Hibs clips but here's Bestie at his very best in this compilation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuOkQYayFUI
I also love the way he so often feigns this way and that but leaves the ball alone and the defenders are totally bamboozled. Like watching a matador with a dumb bull.
And that goal that was disallowed v England. Travesty! I remember watching it live on the telly with my dad and bro.
Get yourself your refreshment/snack of choice and sit back for 17 mins and marvel at the supreme skill of one of the very best.

Now there was a player. Riding tackles with only one thing on his mind. Modern players would be rolling on the ground squealing or feigning injury to get opponent sent off.

04-02-2022, 01:27 PM
https://youtu.be/5YHQkED__To

One Day Soon
04-02-2022, 02:11 PM
That's just incredible. Things you realise after seeing that:

He was properly two footed on the ball and in execution
He could take on players and beat them from a standing start and at pace even though he didn't have that much pace
He could score worldies but he also picked the simplest route into the goal when it was better
He could ride tackles that would have floored other players.
His positional sense and his awareness of where everyone else was were exceptional
He looked even when he was just standing there not in possession
No wonder Tom Hart was willing to risk taking even the end of career version of him
He can pick a pass, beat a defence or finish from distance and it's rarely obvious which of those he's about to do.
He looks like he's mentally about five steps ahead of everyone around him when he has the ball.

I enjoyed watching that so much. :aok:

jacomo
04-02-2022, 02:25 PM

He could take on players and beat them from a standing start and at pace even though he didn't have that much pace
He could score worldies but he also picked the simplest route into the goal when it was better
His positional sense and his awareness of where everyone else was were exceptional
No wonder Tom Hart was willing to risk taking even the end of career version of him
He can pick a pass, beat a defence or finish from distance and it's rarely obvious which of those he's about to do.
He looks like he's mentally about five steps ahead of everyone around him when he has the ball.

He was fast enough for the lumbering defences he was playing against.

Exceptional ball control and balance gave him that time that others didn’t have. Oh and he had power and a lethal shot as well.

OldEast
04-02-2022, 02:38 PM

Could and did score with left or right foot and plenty headers too. A genius of his time and for many the greatest player ever.

wookie70
04-02-2022, 10:48 PM
Could and did score with left or right foot and plenty headers too. A genius of his time and for many the greatest player ever.

He was a very decent defender too. My favourite player of all time and feel very lucky to have watched him play for the club I love

CockneyRebel
04-02-2022, 11:16 PM
Now there was a player. Riding tackles with only one thing on his mind. Modern players would be rolling on the ground squealing or feigning injury to get opponent sent off.

Just a poor man's Tortolano. Taught Georgie boy all he knew.:greengrin

stu in nottingham
05-02-2022, 12:53 AM

I remember a really amusing example of that once when watching him live playing for Fulham. Rodney Marsh took a kick off and tapped it in front of George who let it roll free in front of him. An opposing defender came charging in to put a tackle in and George feinted, dropped his shoulder with the result the defender ran straight past him in the opposite direction without George even touching the ball. Just a smidgeon of momentary genius and the audacity of it was slightly hilarious!

Not sure how many here can access it but he's been featured quite a bit recently on 'The Big Match Revisited' which is at the moment showing games from 1976 when George was at Fulham with Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore. It all kind of ended in tears at Craven Cottage but there were some great and entertaining moments along the way for them that season.

I have seen George play for Manchester United and don't think I've ever seen a player with such exquisite balance. So hard to hit and bring down and he always had another move when in a tight spot. People usually mention his more well-known standout skills but I always remember his great courage on the pitch, he was never intimidated in spite of some of the animalistic and brutal assaults he faced. I've also heard a couple of ex-pros who faced him say he was, perhaps surprisngly, one of the hardest and toughest opponents they'd ever played against. Truly, he could have played in any position on the pitch. He was a genius and utterly unforgettable.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2022, 09:51 AM
Ex hibee goalkeeper Ally Donaldson said this goal was similar to a goal George Best scored for HIBS against Dundee in a 2-0 home victory in 1980

https://youtu.be/o8wGN5uDaVg