PDA

View Full Version : Elias Melkerson

Nevi_SOL
02-02-2022, 08:06 PM
On Instagram live and was asked if he’d be in the squad for st mirren. To which he answered. Yes that’s the plan 👍🏼

Hibbyradge
02-02-2022, 08:12 PM
Hmmm. Should he be saying that?

Hopefully we will get to see him though.

TheCabbage
02-02-2022, 08:31 PM

Match day squad doesn’t necessarily mean he would be stripped though

Swedish hibee
02-02-2022, 08:31 PM
Norwegians always stupid people🤣
Hope he's good for us though!

Hibs90
02-02-2022, 08:32 PM

He also called Hearts **** :greengrin

02-02-2022, 08:34 PM

Are Norwegians to the Swedish as the Irish are to Scots/English/Welsh and the Belgians are to the French?

Hibby Kay-Yay
02-02-2022, 08:34 PM
There’s Norway he meant to say that.

Juice-Terry
02-02-2022, 08:35 PM
Are Norwegians to the Swedish as the Irish are to Scots/English/Welsh and the Belgians are to the French?
Pretty much.

CapitalGreen
02-02-2022, 08:39 PM

Correct, he was in the match day squad for the Derby but wasn’t stripped.

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2022, 08:41 PM
Loft in translation :)

Unseen work
02-02-2022, 08:41 PM
No issues with him saying the plan is to be in the squad, hardly a huge surprise.

Melkersen and Jasper being in could really transform our attack now, all of a sudden alot more options who have been brought in as improvements

Hibbyradge
02-02-2022, 08:43 PM

Gotcha.

WeeRussell
02-02-2022, 08:43 PM

Don’t see a problem with it.. no doubt it is HIS plan if he’s ready!

Hopefully turns out to be an exciting player for us straight away.

02-02-2022, 08:46 PM
On Instagram live and was asked if he’d be in the squad for st mirren. To which he answered. Yes that’s the plan 👍🏼

👍 What else did he say? Did he say anything about the last night's match?

Viva_Palmeiras
02-02-2022, 08:53 PM
Ooft in translation :)

Swedish hibee
02-02-2022, 09:07 PM

It's more humour than hate between Sweden, Norway & Denmark but together we all laugh at Finland!!!

Greencore
02-02-2022, 09:26 PM
It's more humour than hate between Sweden, Norway & Denmark but together we all laugh at Finland!!!

Especially with other swedes when talking to people from skane 😂

Callum_62
02-02-2022, 09:29 PM
Are him and runar sharing digs?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Nevi_SOL
03-02-2022, 04:34 AM
Are him and runar sharing digs?

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Not sure for definite, they were in the same house whilst on live

Gmack7
08-02-2022, 09:19 PM
Any recent updates on his fitness/availability

bingo70
08-02-2022, 10:00 PM
Any recent updates on his fitness/availability

https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin/status/1491183649332822016?s=21

Don’t like what I’m reading there to be honest.

No issues with him being longer term project but if that’s the case, someone else should have been signed for now.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2022, 10:02 PM
What Maloney had to say today.

"Elias was always a longer-term project but he is a talented kid. We want to get him to a certain level, if we can, before the end of the season and if not, he needs a pre-season with the group, and letting him adapt will be a big benefit,” Maloney told the Evening News.

"The club had done a lot of work before we signed him, and before I came in. He was a real top talent in Norway and right at the last moment there was quite a lot of interest but the plan was always for him to be between the Hibs first team and the B team, and ideally get him to a point where he was fighting for the number nine position, as quickly as possible.

“It’s important to remember that he effectively came from the second division [in Norway], he’s moved country, and is now living without his parents.

"But there has been a big improvement in him in the last seven to ten days in terms of adapting to the way of training.”

Melkersen’s progress has led to him being named in the matchday squad for the previous two matches without being one of the stripped players. The teenager’s upturn in performances on the training ground have given the coaching staff food for thought, but he faces a stern task in dislodging starting centre-forwards Christian Doidge and Kevin Nisbet.

"Elias has progressed to the matchday squad for the last two games but we also have two really senior nines in Kevin and Christian,” Maloney continued.

“We’re playing with both, so he’s got really good competition. He is a long-term signing and he has to fight for that number nine slot, but I’m definitely happy with the progress he's making."

Maloney is understandably cautious about placing too much expectation on the youngster but admitted that the forward was on track to force his way into contention and would once again be part of the travelling squad for the trip to face Rangers at Ibrox.

"He’s doing really well. It’s going to happen at some point; when he’s doing so well in training you then have to let performances take over. But he’s doing well.

"He’s progressed into the matchday squad, he is pushing hard to get into the matchday 20 and is now adapting into what we’re asking him to do, and to the speed and physicality of coming to this league.

"He will be in the matchday squad [against Rangers] and pushing Kevin and Christian hard.”

Unseen work
08-02-2022, 10:34 PM
A hell of a lot of money for someone they deem to be between the first team and B team and potentially waiting until summer for him to have a pre season.

I doubt we’ll wait that long however and think we’ll see him on the bench tomorrow night.

I think Maloney is just trying to calm expectation levels, but for a club like Hibs to way 300-400k it’s a lot of money and the majority will want an instant impact - especially when we’re struggling to score.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2022, 10:38 PM
A hell of a lot of money for someone they deem to be between the first team and B team and potentially waiting until summer for him to have a pre season.

I doubt we’ll wait that long however and think we’ll see him on the bench tomorrow night.

I think Maloney is just trying to calm expectation levels, but for a club like Hibs to way 300-400k it’s a lot of money and the majority will want an instant impact - especially when we’re struggling to score.

We will see him on the bench in the not too distant future but I really wish we’d signed someone who was capable of coming in to the team as soon as they’d signed, given the form of the two we have. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t have signed Melkerson, but we needed someone who was actually capable of going right in as well.

08-02-2022, 10:41 PM
We will see him on the bench in the not too distant future but I really wish we’d signed someone who was capable of coming in to the team as soon as they’d signed, given the form of the two we have.

Are you not getting bored yet saying this over and over again?

Unseen work
08-02-2022, 10:43 PM
We will see him on the bench in the not too distant future but I really wish we’d signed someone who was capable of coming in to the team as soon as they’d signed, given the form of the two we have.

I do get get however I’m unsure what quality of player we’d be able to attract to essentially be 3rd choice.

I think the introduction of Jasper will make a huge difference to us and Henderson as well in fairness as his crossing from open play seems brilliant.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2022, 10:46 PM
Are you not getting bored yet saying this over and over again?

Na, no really. It’s quite topical at the moment. You don’t need to read it if you don’t want to.

I also hope he’s in the squad tomorrow and gets a chance sooner rather than later.

B.H.F.C
08-02-2022, 10:48 PM
I do get get however I’m unsure what quality of player we’d be able to attract to essentially be 3rd choice.

I think the introduction of Jasper will make a huge difference to us and Henderson as well in fairness as his crossing from open play seems brilliant.

With what we’ve been getting from the other two, we needed someone to play instead of them, not back them up.

Thought Jasper looked quite promising but need to try and find a way of fitting them all together.

JimBHibees
09-02-2022, 05:54 AM
https://twitter.com/p_mcpartlin/status/1491183649332822016?s=21

Don’t like what I’m reading there to be honest.

No issues with him being longer term project but if that’s the case, someone else should have been signed for now.

Yep someone like the guy Hearts signed for 6 months.

flash
09-02-2022, 06:39 AM
Yep someone like the guy Hearts signed for 6 months.

I agree we need both Jim.

A striker for right now and a young exciting talent for the future.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2022, 07:15 AM
This is a brave approach from Hibs, this must be the first time a club like ours have paid this type of money on a player not deemed good enough for the first team yet, someone they see for the future.

While i would like someone who is better than Nisbet and Doidge now, i like the thought process, it's a gamble i suppose, but there must have been a huge amount of research done on him, and one the club must think is worth it. :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
09-02-2022, 08:15 AM

Arsenal paid £6m in January 2006 for Theo Walcott when he was 16 and he didn't even sign a professional contract for 2 months. He didn't play for the first team until the start of the following season, 7 months later, even though he had played for Southampton.

He, and Arsenal, did alright after that.

Bobby's Cinema
09-02-2022, 08:28 AM
Don't wish to be negative but bottom line we needed somebody in now that could make an impact. You look at a like Lafferty rejoining Killi and back in the goals straight away, Dundee United signing a Tony Watt in good form. We needed someone that was ready to get going for us. If that isn't him then again we've failed to fill the gap that needed to be filled. The longer it goes without seeing him the more disappointing it will be.

Stubbsy90+2
09-02-2022, 08:31 AM
Arsenal paid £6m in January 2006 for Theo Walcott when he was 16 and he didn't even sign a professional contract for 2 months. He didn't play for the first team until the start of the following season, 7 months later, even though he had played for Southampton.

He, and Arsenal, did alright after that.

To be fair, Arsenal reached the Champions League Final in the 7 months he didn’t play so there probably wasn’t such a pressing need for signings from Arsenals point of view. He was also three years younger than Melkerson

We desperately needed someone to challenge two massively underperforming strikers and are under achieving. We could have done with either Melkerson being ready to play for the first team or another signing along with him who was.

I don’t think any of the posts on here are really criticising the signing of Melkerson. They’re really just criticising the club for not having another striker available for the first team. It’s been an issue for long enough now that I don’t think it’s an unreasonable criticism.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2022, 08:41 AM
To be fair, Arsenal reached the Champions League Final in the 7 months he didn’t play so there probably wasn’t such a pressing need for signings from Arsenals point of view. He was also three years younger than Melkerson

We desperately needed someone to challenge two massively underperforming strikers and are under achieving. We could have done with either Melkerson being ready to play for the first team or another signing along with him who was.

I don’t think any of the posts on here are really criticising the signing of Melkerson. They’re really just criticising the club for not having another striker available for the first team. It’s been an issue for long enough now that I don’t think it’s an unreasonable criticism.

All fair points, but investing a significant sum into a youngster should be seen as a positive and exciting step for the (near) future.

I agree we need another good striker, but finding one at our price in January is virtually impossible.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2022, 08:42 AM
Don't wish to be negative but bottom line we needed somebody in now that could make an impact. You look at a like Lafferty rejoining Killi and back in the goals straight away, Dundee United signing a Tony Watt in good form. We needed someone that was ready to get going for us. If that isn't him then again we've failed to fill the gap that needed to be filled. The longer it goes without seeing him the more disappointing it will be.

All good things...

Since452
09-02-2022, 08:48 AM
I feel a bit sorry for the lad. The longer we don't see him and the more we don't score the more pressure and hope he has resting on his shoulders.

easty
09-02-2022, 08:57 AM

Watt hasn’t scored in 8 games. He’s not scored since we’ll before we even signed Melkerson.

Even Nisbet, who’s slated on here as ***** and lazy, has 2 goals since Watt last scored.

Since452
09-02-2022, 09:05 AM
Watt hasn’t scored in 8 games. He’s not scored since we’ll before we even signed Melkerson.

Even Nisbet, who’s slated on here as ***** and lazy, has 2 goals since Watt last scored.

I don't get the Watt thing. He's having his best ever season but i still think he's bang average.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2022, 09:06 AM
I feel a bit sorry for the lad. The longer we don't see him and the more we don't score the more pressure and hope he has resting on his shoulders.

That says more about us as a support, than it says about him. We didnt want a manager that only won small games, we didnt want a manager that lost semi finals and finals to clubs we deem smaller than us.

We didnt want a manager that lost any games, or went on a bad run of losing or drawing games and playing football that was not pleasing on the eye.

So now we have a manager who is trying to change this, and we now have as a club gone it appears down a different route in buying players who they think will be better than the types of player we normally sign, but they will take time to adjust to our type of game, and time to fit in.

We are signing players now for the future, players for the B team, for money, that the club have high hopes for, that they think might take us to the next level more consistantly.

And we are doing this while trying to keep the 1st team going towards a decent league finish with hopefully Europe at the end.

We've tried the old way, with success being very sporadic, perhaps this is the way we should go, perhaps we need to be patient again?

How long, well we can see already it wont be long enough.

Since452
09-02-2022, 09:20 AM
That says more about us as a support, than it says about him. We didnt want a manager that only won small games, we didnt want a manager that lost semi finals and finals to clubs we deem smaller than us.

We didnt want a manager that lost any games, or went on a bad run of losing or drawing games and playing football that was not pleasing on the eye.

So now we have a manager who is trying to change this, and we now have as a club gone it appears down a different route in buying players who they think will be better than the types of player we normally sign, but they will take time to adjust to our type of game, and time to fit in.

We are signing players now for the future, players for the B team, for money, that the club have high hopes for, that they think might take us to the next level more consistantly.

And we are doing this while trying to keep the 1st team going towards a decent league finish with hopefully Europe at the end.

We've tried the old way, with success being very sporadic, perhaps this is the way we should go, perhaps we need to be patient again?

How long, well we can see already it wont be long enough.

True mate. The treatment of Ross scunnered me to be honest but that's been done to death and everyone has their own opinions. My patience with the club is very, very low. They should be under huge pressure to get this right. I don't expect Melkersen to be some sort of saviour though. If Nisbet and Doidge were firing then nobody would be talking about him as much.

JimBHibees
09-02-2022, 09:24 AM
I don't get the Watt thing. He's having his best ever season but i still think he's bang average.

So do i

J-C
09-02-2022, 09:39 AM
I dont think Maloney expected Nisbet and Doidge to be utterly hopeless in front of goal, hence why Melkerson was seen as one for next season.

Ringothedog
09-02-2022, 09:45 AM
All good things...

Must pass?

hibby rae
09-02-2022, 09:46 AM

It's because out of his dozen or so senior seasons he's only had 2 top quality ones.

Bobby's Cinema
09-02-2022, 09:47 AM
Watt is on 9 for the season Nisbet on 5.
We are going off topic, my point is given the importance we all acknowledged of this transfer window for our season, after binning our recruitment team for the squad it left us with in the summer, we could have went down the route of proven goalscorer at this level likely to hit the ground running. We haven't done that, weve failed to score in 4 or our last 5 games since returning in Janurary. It seems we still don't have a new credible option up front there challenging Nisbet and an off form doidge and continue to bring on James Scott. Hence the disappointment.

ian cruise
09-02-2022, 10:01 AM

Watt hasn't scored since his move to Dundee Utd, a team in similar form to ourselves, so the argument that we should have spent money on him instead of someone with the potential to far exceed him doesn't work for me.

Watt has proven time and time again he's not met his potential, one purple patch with Motherwell when he needed a new contract. Lafferty is real hit and miss throughout his career and not worth the gamble either in my opinion. That's the problem with those types of players, they're as much a gamble as Melkerson, without the potential to improve while with us.

RIP
09-02-2022, 10:09 AM
It’s possible that Elias was considered a good buy by Ian Gordon but then when Shaun saw how raw he was, he thought B team for now.

Smartie
09-02-2022, 11:21 AM

My mate’s a United fan - he was raving about how good Watt was on Saturday.

He might not be scoring for them yet, but my mate was concerned about aspects of their play other than Watt.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so flummoxed by Hibs. The solutions here don’t seem as obvious as they’ve been in the past. Watt would have been a great addition but would another non-scoring striker really have been what we needed, even allowing for him being an excellent player? If he comes in and plays well for us but doesn’t score… then who does get the goals?

chippy
09-02-2022, 11:21 AM
It’s possible that Elias was considered a good buy by Ian Gordon but then when Shaun saw how raw he was, he thought B team for now.

That’s my reading of it

Hibbyradge
09-02-2022, 11:23 AM

It's not the B team.

MrRobot
09-02-2022, 11:31 AM
Maloney has said literally since the signing announcement that he needs to be given time to adjust and they’d be conscious of this, i don’t get how people can still think there is something weird about him doing exactly that.

Hibbyradge
09-02-2022, 11:40 AM
Maloney has said literally since the signing announcement that he needs to be given time to adjust and they’d be conscious of this, i don’t get how people can still think there is something weird about him doing exactly that.

Zackly. :agree:

Stubbsy90+2
09-02-2022, 12:51 PM

I don’t really get Hibs approach on this one.

We’re woefully short up top. The fans have been quite clear that they feel that way generally speaking.

Melkerson is one of our most expensive signings in our history. Fans are naturally going to want to see him play. We seem to be constantly using his photos in the match day build up to games yet he’s nowhere to be seen.

We don’t use Magennis’ photos in the build up to games because he’s not going to be involved. Why Hibs keep teasing that Melkerson will be involved when it sounds like there was never any chance of it seems really strange. All it does is get folks backs up judging by here and the Facebook groups.

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Maloney is looking out for himself and the team. I'm happy if he's told the player and other coaches he's not ready yet as it means he's in control of the matter. It's neither his or the new players fault the other strikers are playing so poor we desperately need him right away. Why put further pressure on himself (SM) and the player if he's not ready and it doesn't work out? That's hardly going to help confidence.

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 01:00 PM

We’re woefully short up top. The fans have been quite clear that they feel that way generally speaking.

Melkerson is one of our most expensive signings in our history. Fans are naturally going to want to see him play. We seem to be constantly using his photos in the match day build up to games yet he’s nowhere to be seen.

We don’t use Magennis’ photos in the build up to games because he’s not going to be involved. Why Hibs keep teasing that Melkerson will be involved when it sounds like there was never any chance of it seems really strange. All it does is get folks backs up judging by here and the Facebook groups.

There's a chance he's not up to this level (yet) and putting him in with massive expectations for him to flop wouldn't help anyone. We are expecting an instant goal machine right away.

De La Cruz got hounded at the start as he cost £700k and he took time to adjust - and he was a full internationalist who scored the winner against Brazil.

If the boy needs time it's completely the sensible approach.

If he was brought in to play right away though then questions should be asked at the recruitment team because we do really need bodies in there.

CockneyRebel
09-02-2022, 01:04 PM

You've been told a million times not to exaggerate.

CapitalGreen
09-02-2022, 02:14 PM

Pretty sure the guys who make our graphics for Instagram etc aren’t involved in picking the team.

Hibs90
09-02-2022, 03:16 PM
I genuinely don't see what the issue is, I can understand 'one for the future' and one to develop etc but the way I see it, if he's match fit, and not injured then what's the harm with him taking Scott's spot on the bench? It will do him good in terms of matchday exposure and you never know if he gets a few minutes like what Scott does he could bag a goal or 2. Same applies to Laidlaw, O'Connor etc.

And the longer he isn't involved the more pressure there will be IMO.

Diclonius
09-02-2022, 03:22 PM

Then that's the failure of the recruitment team to bring in a striker who wasn't ready when we only have three other options, two of whom are out of form and the other being James Scott.

CapitalGreen
09-02-2022, 03:40 PM
Then that's the failure of the recruitment team to bring in a striker who wasn't ready when we only have three other options, two of whom are out of form and the other being James Scott.

Did Maloney want another striker? I’ve not seen him quoted anywhere saying he wanted to bring in another centre forward.

silverhibee
09-02-2022, 03:53 PM
What Maloney had to say today.

"Elias was always a longer-term project but he is a talented kid. We want to get him to a certain level, if we can, before the end of the season and if not, he needs a pre-season with the group, and letting him adapt will be a big benefit,” Maloney told the Evening News.

"The club had done a lot of work before we signed him, and before I came in. He was a real top talent in Norway and right at the last moment there was quite a lot of interest but the plan was always for him to be between the Hibs first team and the B team, and ideally get him to a point where he was fighting for the number nine position, as quickly as possible.

“It’s important to remember that he effectively came from the second division [in Norway], he’s moved country, and is now living without his parents.

"But there has been a big improvement in him in the last seven to ten days in terms of adapting to the way of training.”

Melkersen’s progress has led to him being named in the matchday squad for the previous two matches without being one of the stripped players. The teenager’s upturn in performances on the training ground have given the coaching staff food for thought, but he faces a stern task in dislodging starting centre-forwards Christian Doidge and Kevin Nisbet.

"Elias has progressed to the matchday squad for the last two games but we also have two really senior nines in Kevin and Christian,” Maloney continued.

“We’re playing with both, so he’s got really good competition. He is a long-term signing and he has to fight for that number nine slot, but I’m definitely happy with the progress he's making."

Maloney is understandably cautious about placing too much expectation on the youngster but admitted that the forward was on track to force his way into contention and would once again be part of the travelling squad for the trip to face Rangers at Ibrox.

"He’s doing really well. It’s going to happen at some point; when he’s doing so well in training you then have to let performances take over. But he’s doing well.

"He’s progressed into the matchday squad, he is pushing hard to get into the matchday 20 and is now adapting into what we’re asking him to do, and to the speed and physicality of coming to this league.

"He will be in the matchday squad [against Rangers] and pushing Kevin and Christian hard.”

Hopefully on bench tonight.

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 03:56 PM
Hopefully on bench tonight.

He's not included tonight.

Stubbsy90+2
09-02-2022, 04:02 PM
There's a chance he's not up to this level (yet) and putting him in with massive expectations for him to flop wouldn't help anyone. We are expecting an instant goal machine right away.

De La Cruz got hounded at the start as he cost £700k and he took time to adjust - and he was a full internationalist who scored the winner against Brazil.

If the boy needs time it's completely the sensible approach.

If he was brought in to play right away though then questions should be asked at the recruitment team because we do really need bodies in there.

Of course, and that’s absolutely fine. Hibs posting about him and getting fans hopes up that he’ll be included each game probably doesn’t help in that regard though, if anything it just puts more pressure on him for when he does finally appear.

Stubbsy90+2
09-02-2022, 04:03 PM
You've been told a million times not to exaggerate.

He will be. I’d be surprised if he’s not top 5 if the rumoured fees are to be believed?

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2022, 04:21 PM
If the manager thinks he's not ready yet, what makes anyone on here think he is? :confused:

matty_f
09-02-2022, 04:55 PM
If the manager thinks he's not ready yet, what makes anyone on here think he is? :confused:

Hibs did a big signing announcement when he signed.

bingo70
09-02-2022, 05:11 PM
Hibs did a big signing announcement when he signed.

I also can’t believe for a second he would contribute any less than James Scott does, even if he’s not firing on all cylinders yet.

blackpoolhibs
09-02-2022, 05:56 PM
I also can’t believe for a second he would contribute any less than James Scott does, even if he’s not firing on all cylinders yet.

Maloney has said he's not ready yet, he's probably basing that on his fitness and does not want him breaking down, surely he's not just refusing to play him for a laugh?

Hibees1973
09-02-2022, 06:09 PM
Has anyone at the club formally stated what our recruitment strategy is.

Seems most of us on here are guessing what it is, then criticising each others negative or positive opinion. Suppose we can take a guess. My guess is it's to only sign players under the age of 24. Apart from that I'm not sure.

We've changed manager, have a new academy manager, appointed the owner's son as head of recruitment, who incidentally has no experience in football and not been formally announced, so is it little wonder some of the signings seem weird.

Whatever, the Melkerson situation is extraordinary. I for one would never have expected Hibs to pay £400,000 for a player deemed by the manager as not being ready immediately for the first team.

Perhaps a communication from Ron or his son would clarify the situation, or maybe not.

From the earlier posts I admit I am in the negative side. Seems like loads of money has been spent, but it's an effin shambles.

hibee1875
09-02-2022, 06:12 PM
Has anyone at the club formally stated what our recruitment strategy is.

Seems most of us on here are guessing what it is, then criticising each others negative or positive opinion. Suppose we can take a guess. My guess is it's to only sign players under the age of 24. Apart from that I'm not sure.

We've changed manager, have a new academy manager, appointed the owner's son as head of recruitment, who incidentally has no experience in football and not been formally announced, so is it little wonder some of the signings seem weird.

Whatever, the Melkerson situation is extraordinary. I for one would never have expected Hibs to pay £400,000 for a player deemed by the manager as not being ready immediately for the first team.

Perhaps a communication from Ron or his son would clarify the situation, or maybe not.

From the earlier posts I admit I am in the negative side. Seems like loads of money has been spent, but it's an effin shambles.

Does any club formally state what their recruitment policy is?

Why show your cards?

The 90+2
09-02-2022, 06:14 PM
Of course, and that’s absolutely fine. Hibs posting about him and getting fans hopes up that he’ll be included each game probably doesn’t help in that regard though, if anything it just puts more pressure on him for when he does finally appear.

Aye, true.