PDA

View Full Version : Operation Charm Offensive - Drey Wright

WestStandWillie
02-02-2022, 06:19 PM
The laddie confidence looks shot tae bits.

Too scared to do anything with the ball for fear of abuse from stands. Almost as if his team mates have picked up on this and are reluctant to pass to him.

Is there anyway back for him or is he just the modern day Allan O’Brien/Amadou Konte/Thierry Gatteusi etc?!

Hopefully Maloney can sort him out but it’s looking a lost cause

Unseen work
02-02-2022, 06:24 PM
I thought that before but then v Dundee United he looked really confident and had a good game, played defensively enough v Celtic too.

But the last 2 games he’s came on he’s back to his old self and just can’t look after the ball. Last night he lost it really cheaply twice which almost lead to goals.

hibby6270
02-02-2022, 06:26 PM
When he came on last night Mrs Hibby6270 thought he was one of our January signings. She couldn’t recall seeing him before. No, no, no I said. After a brief 30 second history of his ‘career’ with Hibs so far, I finished my spiel with ‘he’s no very good’.
His performance last night has not changed my opinion on that!!

weecounty hibby
02-02-2022, 06:28 PM
I feel for him. Would have been best for Hibs and him to have parted company in January. He looks completely shot of any confidence when playing in a green Jersey. He was better than decent at St Johnstone but for some reason it's not worked for us.

MWHIBBIES
02-02-2022, 06:31 PM
Feel for him, folk around me on his back from the second he came on.

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2022, 06:32 PM
Pretty sure he was booed when he came on last night

Might have imagined it

Might have been the choice of player coming off

Poor show if that was the case

LunasBoots
02-02-2022, 06:35 PM
Not surprised he's got no confidence, been a scapegoat for a lot of people, i don't think he's a bad player, just needs the confidence which he's been unable to get.

Hiber-nation
02-02-2022, 06:36 PM
No idea how this fear of abuse thing has come about, he was poor last season in front of empty stadiums. He should be away. I honestly can't believe it's the same player who was excellent against us at McDiarmid a couple of seasons back

Billy Whizz
02-02-2022, 06:37 PM
No idea how this fear of abuse thing has come about, he was poor last season in front of empty stadiums. He should be away. I honestly can't believe it's the same player who was excellent against us at McDiarmid a couple of seasons back

Confidence is everything

eastterrace
02-02-2022, 06:38 PM
Not surprised he's got no confidence, been a scapegoat for a lot of people, i don't think he's a bad player, just needs the confidence which he's been unable to get.he nearly cost us last night with two misplaced passes which put us in trouble.

judas
02-02-2022, 06:42 PM
Confidence is everything

It’s not though.

If it were all about confidence, me and you might get a game for Hibs.

The lad’s just not good enough.

He was a highly speculative punt by Jack Ross.

I say that because there was nothing in his back catalogue to suggest he would do something for us. He was the winger who didn’t score.

He just doesn’t have it for this level and I think I can say with confidence that he will soon be playing at least a league below ours.

1875Sean
02-02-2022, 06:44 PM
Can’t believe how many chances he’s had, must be a good trainer. Still puzzled why he came on ahead of Henderson, the little time Henderson was on he created and done much more

hibee-boys
02-02-2022, 07:04 PM
He’ll be away in the summer and I’ll wish him well in the future but other than a couple of ok performances at wing back he’s contributed very little. Could not believe he was the first impact sub yesterday🤷🏼

B.H.F.C
02-02-2022, 07:16 PM
I really can’t believe he keeps getting such a decent amount of time on the park. Granted, he’s running about a bit but he offers us nothing with the ball. I don’t think it’s fear of abuse stopping him doing anything, he played a full season in front of nobody and was just the same.

LaMotta
02-02-2022, 07:33 PM
Not surprised he's got no confidence, been a scapegoat for a lot of people, i don't think he's a bad player, just needs the confidence which he's been unable to get.

If he can't ever get the confidence he needs to perform well at the level required for Hibs, then unfortunately that makes him a bad player.

Lago
02-02-2022, 07:37 PM
Feel for him, folk around me on his back from the second he came on.
I can't abide that, really not on.

HibbyAndy
02-02-2022, 07:40 PM
he nearly cost us last night with two misplaced passes which put us in trouble.

:agree:

Hearts went right up the park and nearly scored after Drey gave it away , He may have a career in football but it's not at hibs , Need much better

theonlywayisup
02-02-2022, 07:45 PM
He's rubbish. No point window dressing it, he's rubbish.

Every time he comes on, I hope he does well. But he contributes SFA. He hides on the pitch. His running into space non-existent. He always has a shockingly poor pass on every game.

Really don't know what his skill set is. Whatever it is, he keeps it well hidden.

HibsGW
02-02-2022, 07:50 PM

Every time he comes on, I hope he does well. But he contributes SFA. He hides on the pitch. His running into space non-existent. He always has a shockingly poor pass on every game.

Really don't know what his skill set is. Whatever it is, he keeps it well hidden.

Perfect summary.

superfurryhibby
02-02-2022, 08:01 PM

Got to say that I agree. Just don’t get why Maloney brought him on. Did sweet **** all.

Onceinawhile
02-02-2022, 08:29 PM
Got to say that I agree. Just don’t get why Maloney brought him on. Did sweet **** all.

That's not fair. He gave the ball away a number of times.

Iggy Pope
02-02-2022, 08:30 PM

And his touch…. ****ing hell. Goes further than some can kick it.
He looks shot to pieces. And he should lose those red boots.

Hiber-nation
02-02-2022, 08:54 PM
Confidence is everything

He scored against the stickies early last season. You'd have thought that would give him confidence. Nope. He actually had a couple of half decent games last season but didn't kick on from that. He was alright against Dundee Utd a few weeks ago but has been dire in his 2 sub appearances since then. How long do you wait? You can't have players solely in the team to cover space and avoid the ball.

O'Rourke3
02-02-2022, 09:17 PM

Hearts went right up the park and nearly scored after Drey gave it away , He may have a career in football but it's not at hibs , Need much betterAs Jack Ross says, small margins. That particular pass was about 3 inches from its intended target from a ball played into him at pace. A 1-2 there would have had us behind their defence had it been reciprocated. If Scott Allan tried that he'd have been praised to the heavens for trying something special. I'm no great fan of DW. Its the pile on when anything he does happens to back the view he's shan. The manager and coaches see him every day and have faith. It's not worked out for him at Hibs and I'll not be sorry to see him go. The poorest pass of the night was Rocky not looking for or listening to the goalie and creating that free kick.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
02-02-2022, 09:19 PM
And his touch…. ****ing hell. Goes further than some can kick it.
He looks shot to pieces. And he should lose those red boots.
Same boots that Kambarry invested in the kiss o death :greengrin

hibsbollah
02-02-2022, 09:24 PM
The laddie confidence looks shot tae bits.

Too scared to do anything with the ball for fear of abuse from stands. Almost as if his team mates have picked up on this and are reluctant to pass to him.

Is there anyway back for him or is he just the modern day Allan O’Brien/Amadou Konte/Thierry Gatteusi etc?!

Hopefully Maloney can sort him out but it’s looking a lost cause

Konte?

If Dreydrey super drey scores the goal that gets us into Europe i won’t be complaining.

Libby Hibby
02-02-2022, 09:36 PM
Drey Wright is no world beater but he can do a job in this squad, folk need to start giving him a break imo and start supporting, who knows, he might start playing better.

Onceinawhile
02-02-2022, 09:42 PM
Drey Wright is no world beater but he can do a job in this squad, folk need to start giving him a break imo and start supporting, who knows, he might start playing better.

What job is that?

Ronniekirk
02-02-2022, 09:51 PM
Gogic was told he could go fairly early doors by Maloney I wonder what it is he sees in Wright that I can’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LaMotta
02-02-2022, 10:08 PM

I've been supporting him since he signed, willing him on to do well, actually really hoping that he would come good both for the sake of Hibs, but also for himself. People like me and others are just pointing out on here he hasn't been good enough. Do you seriously think if that stops he will start playing better?

He also gets applauded on to the pitch, but if he plays a a few bad passes without doing anything worthy of note, then he is going to get a reaction from the crowd. You have to be incredibly mentally strong to play football at Hibs level - if he hasn't shown any level of quality by now then when will he ever show it? He isn't just going to start suddenly playing better for any reason now.

Bobby's Cinema
02-02-2022, 10:13 PM
While he's on the park he will have my support but simply not good enough. Not a sub that's really going to come on and have an impact on a game. Not much more to be said

cameronw-hfc
02-02-2022, 10:25 PM
For some reason I still have a feeling there's a player in there. The abuse he receives is shocking, but there's always been something about him that makes me think there's a player there somewhere, we just need to get it out of him. He never gives up, could have accepted a few moves away from what I've heard but wanted to make it work here.

Personally think he's someone who got off to a bad start and has never recovered his confidence, not a lack of footballing ability as he's ripped us a few times for St Johnstone.

Sir David Gray
02-02-2022, 10:25 PM
I don't agree with booing any Hibs player and for as long as he's representing the club I will support him but he's nowhere near good enough to play for us and it worries me that Maloney might disagree.

jacomo
02-02-2022, 10:49 PM

He’s another who has looked good in Perth but not been able to do the same with us. There’s a curse here.

Wish him all the best but surely all these new signings will mean very little game time from now on.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 04:58 AM
Gogic was told he could go fairly early doors by Maloney I wonder what it is he sees in Wright that I can’t

Gogic cant pass the ball, he'll never work in Maloneys system. Honestly, its the same reason McGregor wont play for us again.

Viva_Palmeiras
03-02-2022, 05:17 AM
I know it often doesn’t land well on forums but players are human.

Becoming a parent is a life changing event.

when my mate had twins he was in shellshock mode for a long while.

my brother has not long had a premature boy. It’s exhausting, demanding and an anxious time.there can be complications Put the two together and that can be a tough gig.

if things are unsettled at home as we know that can play on folks mind and affect peoples performance in other aspects of their life we need food, shelter, security. If your missus has her hands full and overwhelmed or has post natal depression ratchets things up even if you try not to bring it into work. Plus all of this during lockdown where support maybe wasn’t as avIlBle due to restrictions.

We’ll never know but this gives food for thought.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53472243

theonlywayisup
03-02-2022, 06:23 AM
I know it often doesn’t land well on forums but players are human.

Becoming a parent is a life changing event.

when my mate had twins he was in shellshock mode for a long while.

my brother has not long had a premature boy. It’s exhausting, demanding and an anxious time.there can be complications Put the two together and that can be a tough gig.

if things are unsettled at home as we know that can play on folks mind and affect peoples performance in other aspects of their life we need food, shelter, security. If your missus has her hands full and overwhelmed or has post natal depression ratchets things up even if you try not to bring it into work. Plus all of this during lockdown where support maybe wasn’t as avIlBle due to restrictions.

We’ll never know but this gives food for thought.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53472243

Yes, life is **** at times, but we wall have to find ways of overcoming what's thrown our way. A colleague of mine said twenty years ago that most people can deal with work issues without them affecting their personal life and vice versa. But dealing with both is extremely difficult and many will not be able to cope. In today's more caring world, I would expect my employer to remove me from the work environment for a period until I get my head in the right space.

Whilst it provides an insight into the adversity that he had to cope with two years ago, it doesn't alter the view that he's been rubbish for the majority of times at Hibs and supporters patience can only last so long. If there is a Hibs supporter that honestly believes that when he comes onto a pitch that he'll change the direction of the game for the better then they must believe in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairly, the Easter Bunny and all other mythological creatures.

jacomo
03-02-2022, 06:37 AM
Gogic cant pass the ball, he'll never work in Maloneys system. Honestly, its the same reason McGregor wont play for us again.

Judging by Tuesday night, Drey can’t pass the ball either.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 07:59 AM
Judging by Tuesday night, Drey can’t pass the ball either.

Right, but Shaun probably judges him on more than that.

Crunchie
03-02-2022, 08:03 AM
Confidence is everything
:top marks There's a player in there, the minute he finds another club you watch him surface :agree:

superfurryhibby
03-02-2022, 08:07 AM
Right, but Shaun probably judges him on more than that.

Wright is being judged by fans who have seen him play plenty enough times to have an opinion. Personally, I don’t really care about what Maloney thinks, Drey Wright was not going to change the pattern of a game which we were in grave danger of losing.

MWHIBBIES
03-02-2022, 08:33 AM
Wright is being judged by fans who have seen him play plenty enough times to have an opinion. Personally, I don’t really care about what Maloney thinks, Drey Wright was not going to change the pattern of a game which we were in grave danger of losing.

When it comes to subs, only 1 man's opinion truly matters.

Maybe the fact we didn't lose, and finishes much stronger suggests Shaun was correct.

big gogs
03-02-2022, 08:55 AM

Hearts went right up the park and nearly scored after Drey gave it away , He may have a career in football but it's not at hibs , Need much better
Dreywright gave the ball away and hearts nearly scored, but they never ,he does not have a fan club at hibs,why not give the man a bit support.

Jones28
03-02-2022, 09:07 AM
The Drey Wright that played against Dundee United is the player he can be, it's a shame he hasn't really shown anything since.

Especially for me, as I keep putting him in my teams :greengrin

I do think that with the new arrivals Drey will be off in the summer, and within a year we will be wondering why he couldn't put those performances in for us :wink:

GRA
03-02-2022, 09:18 AM
Konte?

If Dreydrey super drey scores the goal that gets us into Europe i won’t be complaining.

His only goal for Hibs IIRC. Scored sitting on his backside after scuffing an open goal attempt. Genuinely terrible after that, always remember him turning his back when presented with an open goal header against Celtic.

I've not seen anything to convince me Wright should stay. I really want him to prove people wrong but he's been given numerous chances and, bar a decent 60 minutes against Dundee United, has not shown anything. Clearly a confidence player, watch him go back to St Johnstone and bang in a worldie against us in the near future.

That said, some of the abuse he gets is totally out of order. I don't get this constant need for the Hibs support to have a scapegoat.

hibsbollah
03-02-2022, 09:21 AM
His only goal for Hibs IIRC. Scored sitting on his backside after scuffing an open goal attempt. Genuinely terrible after that, always remember him turning his back when presented with an open goal header against Celtic.

I've not seen anything to convince me Wright should stay. I really want him to prove people wrong but he's been given numerous chances and, bar a decent 60 minutes against Dundee United, has not shown anything. Clearly a confidence player, watch him go back to St Johnstone and bang in a worldie against us in the near future.

That said, some of the abuse he gets is totally out of order. I don't get this constant need for the Hibs support to have a scapegoat.

Only goal??! :grr:

You forgot his legendary ‘stumble through the turnip field goal’ against an Eastern European outfit, was it Dinaburg?

J-C
03-02-2022, 09:59 AM
Should never abuse your own players during a game, by all means the opposition but not yours. This is the place to air your grievances. Now Wright is probably a nice lad but nowhere near good enough for us, 1 half decent season at St Johnstone is why he was bought and one of the reasons Mathie and Ross are now out of a job.

Bushwoof
03-02-2022, 10:27 AM
I didn't think he was too bad on Tuesday. He did his bit closing down the midfield, and shortly after coming on made a great run into a channel only for JDH not to make the easy pass.
There's a lot of 'ifs' there, but he could have been scoring the winner and we'd all be happy. Give the man a chance, he's not anywhere near as bad as Josh Vela or the like.

hibsbollah
03-02-2022, 10:29 AM
Yes, life is **** at times, but we wall have to find ways of overcoming what's thrown our way. A colleague of mine said twenty years ago that most people can deal with work issues without them affecting their personal life and vice versa. But dealing with both is extremely difficult and many will not be able to cope. In today's more caring world, I would expect my employer to remove me from the work environment for a period until I get my head in the right space.

Whilst it provides an insight into the adversity that he had to cope with two years ago, it doesn't alter the view that he's been rubbish for the majority of times at Hibs and supporters patience can only last so long. If there is a Hibs supporter that honestly believes that when he comes onto a pitch that he'll change the direction of the game for the better then they must believe in Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairly, the Easter Bunny and all other mythological creatures.

This is a very good point :agree:

Groathillgrump
03-02-2022, 10:39 AM
I didn't think he was too bad on Tuesday. He did his bit closing down the midfield, and shortly after coming on made a great run into a channel only for JDH not to make the easy pass.
There's a lot of 'ifs' there, but he could have been scoring the winner and we'd all be happy. Give the man a chance, he's not anywhere near as bad as Josh Vela or the like.

How long do we give him a chance?

I hate criticising our players but he's had more than enough time to prove that he can bring something to the table. Sadly he hasn't done that and it would be better for all concerned if he played his football elsewhere next season.

hibsbollah
03-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Drey Wright coming on doesnt necessarily mean maloney has him in his long term plans, it could have been just the best option he had that night. Sylvester Jaspers signing probably could be his replacement.

Ronniekirk
03-02-2022, 07:50 PM

I have no issue with Gogic going for the reasons you mentioned
But I just don’t see any consistency when Wright plays and just thought if we had interest in him I would of thought let him go and free up a wage

MWHIBBIES
04-02-2022, 04:55 AM
I have no issue with Gogic going for the reasons you mentioned
But I just don’t see any consistency when Wright plays and just thought if we had interest in him I would of thought let him go and free up a wage

Hes away in the summer anyway. I'd imagine quite a few of our squad players will be.

Libby Hibby
04-02-2022, 05:06 AM

But we didn’t lose the game on Tuesday so by your own logic, he did change the pattern of the game.

P.s ‘grave danger’? Come on, let’s not re-write history here.

JimBHibees
04-02-2022, 06:30 AM
Drey Wright coming on doesnt necessarily mean maloney has him in his long term plans, it could have been just the best option he had that night. Sylvester Jaspers signing probably could be his replacement.

Think it was just to get a fresh pair of legs on in that midfield area we were struggling a bit second half and he is probably more experienced to carry out Shaun's instructions better than other options. His use of the ball was so careless he started a couple of Hearts more dangerous attacks. Can't see him being in his long term plans.

superfurryhibby
04-02-2022, 09:51 AM
But we didn’t lose the game on Tuesday so by your own logic, he did change the pattern of the game.

P.s ‘grave danger’? Come on, let’s not re-write history here.

The re-writing history comment, that's quite ironic.

Have a look at the highlights, Hearts created more chances than us. Our keeper had to make saves (some very good ones at that), Gordon didn't. Wright did nothing to alter the course of the game , unless you count the times he gave the ball away in the centre of midfield and Hearts nearly scored from his misplaced passes. Here's a thought, how about trying to bring on a player that could have actually helped us win the match?

jacomo
04-02-2022, 09:53 AM
Think it was just to get a fresh pair of legs on in that midfield area we were struggling a bit second half and he is probably more experienced to carry out Shaun's instructions better than other options. His use of the ball was so careless he started a couple of Hearts more dangerous attacks. Can't see him being in his long term plans.

This is the problem. Unless we have players who can pass the ball and keep possession, Shaun’s plan simply won’t work.

Keep giving the ball away like that and we will get punished.

jacomo
04-02-2022, 09:54 AM

Have a look at the highlights, Hearts created more chances than us. Our keeper had to make saves (some very good ones at that), Gordon didn't. Wright did nothing to alter the course of the game , unless you count the times he gave the ball away in the centre of midfield and Hearts nearly scored from his misplaced passes. Here's a thought, how about trying to bring on a player that could have actually helped us win the match?

B.H.F.C
04-02-2022, 04:11 PM

Gordon didn’t have saves to make but we had plenty opportunities, particularly first half. Our strikers are just so inept at the moment. There were three or four great balls, in the first half particularly, where they were on their heels and didn’t get on the end of them. There was one where Doidge even blocked Nisbet from getting a shot away. Then in the second half Nisbet is through but totally wastes the chance by trying to run round the ball to get it on his right foot instead of hitting it with his left.

Agree with the point that Wright isn’t going to come on and do anything in the final third though.